PDA

View Full Version : Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4B in cash & stock

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 07:58 PM
:eek:

Sxottlan
10-30-2012, 08:07 PM
The Hollywood Reporter says (http://edit.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-buy-lucasfilm-405-billion-384448) Disney announces Episode 7 to be released in theaters in 2015.

Watashi
10-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Don't care.

number8
10-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Apparently the deal also includes them acquiring ILM, Skywalker Sound and LucasArts. Huge news.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 08:13 PM
kthxbi wats.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 08:14 PM
The Hollywood Reporter says Disney announces Episode 7 to be released in theaters in 2015.

They now own the Star Wars franchise. So...... this may happen.

number8
10-30-2012, 08:17 PM
"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

I really hope he makes some kind of smaller, personal film before he goes away for good. I just want to see what'll happen to him after he's freed of Star Wars.

number8
10-30-2012, 08:19 PM
They now own the Star Wars franchise. So...... this may happen.

They're pushing for it, all right.

Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

Watashi
10-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Apparently the deal also includes them acquiring ILM, Skywalker Sound and LucasArts. Huge news.

Financially this is huge news for Disney as they continue to grow into the monopolizing giant that they are.

But for creative purposes? I mean, a new Star Wars movie was inevitable, but I just want this franchise to die and let someone else tackle an exciting new property.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 08:22 PM
They're pushing for it, all right.

Yeh I thought Sxottlan was kidding and I was expecting that joke, but I never dreamed I'd seen Lucas pass this off in my lifetime. But he goes out of his way to actually say that he thought it was important to pass it off in his lifetime.

We all thought he was a greedy prick. For $4 billion, thank you for giving it away

EvilShoe
10-30-2012, 08:22 PM
There won't be room for anything else in pop culture now. Gargh.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 08:28 PM
There won't be room for anything else in pop culture now. Gargh.

I don't get it.

Watashi
10-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Ha. I just realized that Disney now owns Indiana Jones too.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 08:29 PM

Animated Indiana Jones movies voiced by Harrison Ford? Yes please.

number8
10-30-2012, 08:31 PM

And more importantly, Red Tails.

Poor Paramount.

EvilShoe
10-30-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't get it.
There's too much fucking Star Wars in the world.

If I see one more mash-up T-shirt of Star Wars and something else that's popular I'm going to lose it.

Watashi
10-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Now Disney announced they want to make a new Star Wars film every 2-3 years in the same strategy they did with Marvel.

Mysterious Dude
10-30-2012, 08:48 PM
I wonder if they'll release the non-special versions of the original films.

Skitch
10-30-2012, 09:14 PM
This is great news all around.

KK2.0
10-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Brad Bird for ep VII!!!!

D_Davis
10-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Now Disney announced they want to make a new Star Wars film every 2-3 years in the same strategy they did with Marvel.

YES!

Irish
10-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Well, on the bright side Disney can't do worse than George. So when they start pumping out DTV level Star Wars dreck, it'll actually be a step *up* in quality.

Seems like this fucks over Kathleen Kennedy pretty badly, though.

Also? Say goodbye to all the fan made stuff. I bet the lawyers are already printing up the C&Ds.

Ezee E
10-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Kingdom Hearts in Jabba's Palace please.

Dead & Messed Up
10-30-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm hoping that we star seeing distant Millenium Falcons flying through Asgard.

KK2.0
10-30-2012, 10:06 PM
And a Star Wars themed park in Disneyworld.

D_Davis
10-30-2012, 10:13 PM
I actually thought they were already owned by Disney.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 10:23 PM
I wonder if they'll release the non-special versions of the original films.

Yes!

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 10:32 PM
YyqlTi7lkhY#!

Spinal
10-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Don't care.

This is my answer.

Pop Trash
10-30-2012, 10:44 PM
I feel like this can only be good news. Here's hoping eye poppingly gorgeous blu rays of the o.g. trio as they were shown in the 70s-80s show up in the next couple of years.

megladon8
10-30-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm pretty excited by this, myself.

I still love the Star Wars universe, and really, the movies can only go up from here, right?

MadMan
10-30-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure how to feel about this, especially in regards to a possible 7th Star Wars movie. I think I'll need more details about that bit before I have an actual response.

number8
10-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Howard the Duck back to Marvel, man.

dreamdead
10-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Why care any more about this franchise when there's so many good films still waiting to be discovered... this is just a transparent cash-grab to monopolize on people's gullibility and need for what they already know.

megladon8
10-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Why care any more about this franchise when there's so many good films still waiting to be discovered... this is just a transparent cash-grab to monopolize on people's gullibility and need for what they already know.

Yeah! People shouldn't like things they like unless they think about all the other stuff out there they COULD be liking! After all, there's not enough time in the world to like Star Wars AND like other stuff!

It's one or the other!

Yeah! Fight the man!

Ezee E
10-30-2012, 10:59 PM
I feel like this can only be good news. Here's hoping eye poppingly gorgeous blu rays of the o.g. trio as they were shown in the 70s-80s show up in the next couple of years.
Don't understand why this would be a possibility. Surely Disney will side with director's intentions.

Irish
10-30-2012, 11:04 PM

This claim could also be made about their acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel.

Sycophant
10-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Star Wars news is the least expected thing I hadn't even expected.

Creative consultant is George Lucas's best possible role. The sequel trilogy has a chance if he's not directing. It's hard to imagine it will be very good, though. And it's probably not gonna stop at a sequel trilogy.

Two of the industry's biggest franchise-milkers have finally gotten in bed together.

There's gonna be milk everywhere.

Irish
10-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Don't understand why this would be a possibility. Surely Disney will side with director's intentions.

I can't tell whether your being sarcastic or not. Disney is on the side where the money is. Directors and their intentions are a minor consideration.

LucasFilm and Disney have always been about brand management and merchandising. Offering two versions of the same product at the same time, when the differences are negligible, creates confusion and dilutes the brand.

That, and given the "vault" approach they've taken with their own properties, suggests that this will not happen.

dreamdead
10-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Yeah! People shouldn't like things they like unless they think about all the other stuff out there they COULD be liking! After all, there's not enough time in the world to like Star Wars AND like other stuff!

It's one or the other!

Yeah! Fight the man!

I understand you're being facetious in part, but the move from Chicagoland to rural Oklahoma has significantly reduced any non-mainstream tentpole film. The closest thing I've seen to an "independent" film here has been Looper and that disappeared quickly. As these companies consolidate, all they promise is an inundation of more and more franchises that take up 99% of the marketplace. There isn't room for originality or challenging material in that framework.

megladon8
10-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Star Wars news is the least expected thing I hadn't even expected.

Creative consultant is George Lucas's best possible role. The sequel trilogy has a chance if he's not directing. It's hard to imagine it will be very good, though. And it's probably not gonna stop at a sequel trilogy.

Two of the industry's biggest franchise-milkers have finally gotten in bed together.

There's gonna be milk everywhere.

:lol:

I laughed at your "milk everywhere" comment.

Really, though (and unrelated to your post, but related to the thread), I find it a bit frustrating the way some seem to think that the flux of superhero films, or the milking of the Star Wars franchise, is something new in film.

A great example would be the Universal monster movies. The number of monster films produced by Universal from the early '30s to the early '50s was staggering - it eclipses what is being done by Marvel today. And similar to Marvel, they had monster crossover movies, team-ups, and some semblance of "screen continuity".

Not to mention the number of theatrically released spoofs and parodies, as well as the other big studios trying to ape Universal's success and releasing their own lines of monster movies.

There were easily 10 or more monster films in theatres every year.

And yet, these films are remembered fondly and considered to be a legendary part of movie history, even though 3/4 or more of these films were utter crap (there's a reason why only 8 or 10 of the Universal monster movies are regularly brought up in conversation or used as examples of the genre).

I just don't get this mindset that a) what Marvel is doing is terrible and robs the industry of true creativity, and b) that this is the first time this has happened. Because both are false.

Superhero films will inevitably run their course and stop being made (at least at the level they are), and in 50 years people will look back and say "remember the good old days when we could see a great Iron Man or Batman movie in the theatres? Boy, they sure do make crap these days! It's the end of cinema, I say!"

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Star Wars toys in Toy Story 4?

Irish
10-30-2012, 11:18 PM
As these companies consolidate, all they promise is an inundation of more and more franchises that take up 99% of the marketplace. There isn't room for originality or challenging material in that framework.

Finally, somebody understands.

megladon8
10-30-2012, 11:19 PM
I understand you're being facetious in part, but the move from Chicagoland to rural Oklahoma has significantly reduced any non-mainstream tentpole film. The closest thing I've seen to an "independent" film here has been Looper and that disappeared quickly. As these companies consolidate, all they promise is an inundation of more and more franchises that take up 99% of the marketplace. There isn't room for originality or challenging material in that framework.

I think the move has more to do with less indie fare in the theatres than the evil movie corporations consolidating, to be honest.

The further you get from the city, the less varied art (of any medium) you are really going to see getting big exposure. This isn't new.

It's not like the IFC Center in NYC is now only playing The Avengers and Skyfall.

megladon8
10-30-2012, 11:20 PM

Nah, like I said in my big post above, thinking this kind of stuff has never happened before is incorrect.

Trends fade. Superheroes will too. So will Star Wars.

Studios are always looking for trends to milk. This isn't new.

And saying that this stuff takes up "99% of the framework" is one million percent exaggeration.

Spinal
10-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Remember when Disney bought Pixar? Yeah, that turned out great.

D_Davis
10-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Trends fade. So will Star Wars.

Not soon enough. It's been in my life for nearly 32 years.

Let it die.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 11:29 PM

I'm trying to figure both of you out right now. Your arguments would probably make more sense if Hollywood actually was a breeding grown for creativity and this deal would jepordize other creative studios. But it doesn't. Hollywood doesn't "create" anything. They adapt and "recreate". And then when one of their "recreations" makes them a billion dollars, they give the creators a little bit of money to do one of their own ideas with a promise that they come back and recreate some more. You're arguing that all this does is push independent films further away from the market? I'd argue that this deal not only spurs creativity, but will further spur innovation in film. Maybe this pushes James Cameron to give us his Battle Angel pic?

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 11:29 PM

Remember when Disney bought Marvel? Pretty sweet.

Sycophant
10-30-2012, 11:32 PM
David Lynch to direct Star Wars 7. :cool:

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Not soon enough. It's been in my life for nearly 32 years.

Let it die.

http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=213023&postcount=5

Spinal
10-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Remember when Disney bought Marvel? Pretty sweet.

I don't know. The flood of movies pretty much killed any last interest I had in superhero films.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't know. The flood of movies pretty much killed any last interest I had in superhero films.

1 a year too much for you?

Spinal
10-30-2012, 11:39 PM
1 a year too much for you?

I guess so.

Irish
10-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Nah, like I said in my big post above, thinking this kind of stuff has never happened before is incorrect.

Trends fade. Superheroes will too. So will Star Wars.

Studios are always looking for trends to milk. This isn't new.

Your big post is misguided, for a few reasons.

Universal wasn't a multinational company during the 1930s, and didn't own the rights to a huge chunk of pop culture, along with movie studios, television channels, and publishing houses. Disney is, and does.

Movies had little to no competition during the 1930s. If you wanted that kind of visual entertainment, you had no other choice but to go to the theater.

If you want to make comparisons, then you'll have to look at the sum total of what was produced then to what's being produced now -- and that include theatrical releases, cable, DTV, and video games.

Unlike the 1930s, where there was room for more kinds of pictures, the culture now is absolutely swamped in genre based, family friendly entertainment.

Whether superhero movies last as a trend, and for how long, is almost irrelevant to what dreamdead is addressing because there's been a fundamental shift in the business over the last decade. This change isn't going to revert itself just because a singular trend fades.

Whenever multinational corporations own anything, ultimately that means less choice for the consumer. Movies aren't any different.

Sycophant
10-30-2012, 11:40 PM
In Star Wars episode 8, a.distant planet previously thought uninhabited turns out to be the home of races of dogs and ducks, among which is the influential Scrooge McDuck. A trio of brothers and their friend Webigail voluntarily join Luke's new Jedi Academy to protect against the rise of new darkness.

Darth DeSpell.

Irish
10-30-2012, 11:41 PM

Hey, look on the bright side! The studio that brought the world John Carter and Mars Needs Moms now owns Star Wars!

Spinal
10-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Here's a list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_superhero_fil ms) of superhero films that have been released. I think 'flood' is fairly accurate. I don't keep track of what's Marvel and what's not. I just know that I marvel at how consistently people can get excited over another dude in a rubber suit dodging 'splosions.

number8
10-30-2012, 11:56 PM
It's really only an issue if you consider superheroes a unique entity instead of another occupation. Because boy, there sure are a lot of cops and lawyers movies, especially back in the 90s.

Skitch
10-31-2012, 12:10 AM
Its times like this I'm reminded how very young the industry of film really is.

Irish
10-31-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm trying to figure both of you out right now. Your arguments would probably make more sense if Hollywood actually was a breeding grown for creativity and this deal would jepordize other creative studios. But it doesn't. Hollywood doesn't "create" anything. They adapt and "recreate". And then when one of their "recreations" makes them a billion dollars, they give the creators a little bit of money to do one of their own ideas with a promise that they come back and recreate some more. You're arguing that all this does is push independent films further away from the market? I'd argue that this deal not only spurs creativity, but will further spur innovation in film. Maybe this pushes James Cameron to give us his Battle Angel pic?

Battle Angel doesn't represent innovation or creativity. It's pretty much a horse of the same exact color.

Genre. Existing property. International appeal. Big budget. Tent pole.

I want actual diversity at the theater. Right now, it seems like the choices are "Gee, I can watch the movie about the guy in blue spandex, or I can watch the movie about the guy in green spandex."

megladon8
10-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Battle Angel doesn't represent innovation or creativity. It's pretty much a horse of the same exact color.

I want actual diversity at the theater. Right now, it seems like the choices are "Gee, I can watch the movie about the guy in blue spandex, or I can watch the movie about the guy in green spandex."

I am never, ever, ever going to understand your problem with genre films, and movies where people run.

number8
10-31-2012, 12:48 AM
I agree on one part, though, and it's something I've said for many, many years.

Superheroes need to follow comics in transcending one genre if it wants to survive. Right now most of superhero films are squarely in the superhero/scifi genre. In comics, we've got superhero comics that belong in the horror genre, family, adult crime drama, political thriller, romantic comedy, etc. Superhero movies need to do the same. My Super Ex-Girlfriend was a baaaad movie, but I alwas considered it the first step in what needs to be done.

Dukefrukem
10-31-2012, 12:49 AM

I guess my point is Battle Angel is an original IP. Not an adaption. By your logic, Avatar isn't original either, since it's basically Dances With Wolves on Pandora.

megladon8
10-31-2012, 12:50 AM
I guess my point is Battle Angel is an original IP. Not an adaption. By your logic, Avatar isn't original either, since it's basically Dances With Wolves on Pandora.

It's sci-fi, so Brude hates it.

Dukefrukem
10-31-2012, 12:50 AM
My Super Ex-Girlfriend was a baaaad movie, but I alwas considered it the first step in what needs to be done.

Man that was a real disappointment for me. The trailer shows so much promise.

number8
10-31-2012, 12:51 AM

Uhhhh, what? Battle Angel is an adaptation of a manga/anime.

Dukefrukem
10-31-2012, 12:52 AM
It's sci-fi, so Brude hates it.

I'm actually like his way of looking at sci-fi movies. I've adopted that logic from the convo we had in the Total Recall thread. Most Sci-fi movies are not intelligent sci-fi movies. They're chase movies where the sci-fi themes are irrelevant. Poor creative mediums.

Dukefrukem
10-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Uhhhh, what? Battle Angel is an adaptation of a manga/anime.

It is??? Shows what I know. :sad:

edit: please pretend that example from my post on the previous page doesn't exist and let me think of another....

megladon8
10-31-2012, 12:53 AM
I think it'd be pretty neat if they try making a non-Skywalker related Star Wars movie.

There's some surprisingly good Star Wars fiction out there in book and comic form, as I've found over the past year.

megladon8
10-31-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm actually like his way of looking at sci-fi movies. I've adopted that logic from the convo we had in the Total Recall thread. Most Sci-fi movies are not intelligent sci-fi movies. They're chase movies where the sci-fi themes are irrelevant. Poor creative mediums.

It's not how he looks at sci-fi, it's how he looks at all genre.

Most movies aren't very intelligent. It's that whole Harlon Ellison, "99% of everything is crap" philosophy, which is very true.

Saying that sci-fi in particular, or horror in particular, or action or whatever genre is a worse offender is, honestly, kind of ignorant.

It's not like Hollywood dramas are particularly enlightening pieces of art.

This turning his nose up at anything genre is silly.

Irish
10-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Most movies aren't very intelligent. It's that whole Harlon Ellison, "99% of everything is crap" philosophy, which is very true.

That was Ted Sturgeon, not Harlan.

I'm not turning my nose up. I am just deeply bored by all this four-quadrant, family stuff.

And I think it's depressing that good films on a smaller scope struggle to get made by major studios any more.

Half the movies you love -- good genre movies -- wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting funded today.

Sycophant
10-31-2012, 01:06 AM
For the record, I don't agree that 99% of everything is crap, or even not good.

megladon8
10-31-2012, 01:12 AM
That was Ted Sturgeon, not Harlan.

Ah you're right! I got it mixed up because Ellison is known for being...err..."cranky" :lol: I thought it was something he had said. But yeah, I guess the fact that it's called "Sturgeon's Law" definitely says something!

I'm not turning my nose up. I am just deeply bored by all this four-quadrant, family stuff.

And I think it's depressing that good films on a smaller scope struggle to get made by major studios any more.

That major studios don't have as much interest in these smaller projects isn't stopping them from being made, though. There are more movies being made and released today than there ever were, and they're not all $250-million tentpole movies.

I also don't think this stuff is all family oriented - I don't get where you're getting that from. The Nolan Batman films, the Bourne films, the Craig Bond films, none of these are aimed at families and children.

Family entertainment has always been a huge market and I don't think that has changed, but I also don't think studios are "pandering" to this audience more than they used to. Plus, even the family oriented stuff is edgier now than it used to be.

Half the movies you love -- good genre movies -- wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting funded today.

Like what? I love a lot of movies today which is a big part of my argument.

And again, like I said above, maybe 20th Century Fox wouldn't pour $250-million into making it, but it still could be made. Something like Blade Runner or Alien - these could very well still be made today. Hell, Scott had difficult studio problems with both of these films, and the former was both a critical and commercial flop.

I just wish you didn't have these blinders on to anything genre, or anything with wide appeal - that in being either of these things it is automatically inferior.

Give something a chance before you write it off. Not everything commercial sucks.

And likewise, not everything made by a French dude in his backyard is brilliant.

Irish
10-31-2012, 01:16 AM
It is??? Shows what I know. :sad:

edit: please pretend that example from my post on the previous page doesn't exist and let me think of another....

Inception. That was a large budget, original genre movie with a lot of ambition. Even though I hated it, I still wanted it to do well so the multinational beancounters might begin to believe that there was a market for idea driven genre pieces that didn't once again re-tell Hero with a Thousand Faces in multi colored spandex.

Dukefrukem
10-31-2012, 02:09 AM
Inception. That was a large budget, original genre movie with a lot of ambition. Even though I hated it, I still wanted it to do well so the multinational beancounters might begin to believe that there was a market for idea driven genre pieces that didn't once again re-tell Hero with a Thousand Faces in multi colored spandex.

Yes which is why I made sure to mention the bit about studios giving proven director's their own time to shine.. .once in a while. Inception is one of the few few examples. Elysium will be another. Gravity another.

bac0n
10-31-2012, 02:46 AM
I just want to see what'll happen to him after he's freed of Star Wars.

I am more interested in seeing Star Wars once it is freed of George Lucas. ;)

Ezee E
10-31-2012, 04:04 AM
Looper.

D_Davis
10-31-2012, 04:48 AM
I agree on one part, though, and it's something I've said for many, many years.

Superheroes need to follow comics in transcending one genre if it wants to survive. Right now most of superhero films are squarely in the superhero/scifi genre. In comics, we've got superhero comics that belong in the horror genre, family, adult crime drama, political thriller, romantic comedy, etc. Superhero movies need to do the same. My Super Ex-Girlfriend was a baaaad movie, but I alwas considered it the first step in what needs to be done.

I agree with this.

Dead & Messed Up
10-31-2012, 05:11 AM
You know how that web-animation "How It Should Have Ended" has those scenes with superheroes talking in a coffee shop?

Better than 80% of the superhero flicks I've seen.

Morris Schæffer
10-31-2012, 07:04 AM
I can't stop this from happening, nor would I if I could, so I'll just go along with it and hope for something worthwhile. I eagerly await the first morcels of official info regarding actors, story etc... Not sure it'll sound pleasing to my ears, but I definitely want to know more.

Dukefrukem
10-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Best tweet summarizing the deal

https://twitter.com/ZachWeiner/status/263387074953084928

Dukefrukem
10-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Indiana Jones meets Howard Stark? :-D

Lazlo
10-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Questions about a theatrical cut blu-ray kind of answered in the negative:

Ready for the first wrinkle in the Disney-Lucasfilm deal?

While Disney will own and release future films in the "Star Wars" series, the deal does NOT include the distribution rights to the pre-existing "Star Wars" films.

Those rights remain with 20th Century Fox. In fact, Fox owns distribution rights to the original 1977 "Star Wars" film in perpetuity in all media worldwide.

It also has theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights worldwide to the other five films in the series through May 2020.

This means Disney can't issue a 'complete saga' set unless a deal with Fox is made. It also means fan hopes for quality Blu-ray editions of the theatrical cuts of the original trilogy are highly unlikely.

Fox also plans to still re-release the 3D versions of "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" next Fall.

via: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/25397/fox-still-owns-the-original-star-wars

Neclord
11-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Couldn't 20th Century Fox conceivably put out their own Theatrical cut BDs though, now that Lucas isn't there to put any kibosh on the effort?

MadMan
11-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Couldn't 20th Century Fox conceivably put out their own Theatrical cut BDs though, now that Lucas isn't there to put any kibosh on the effort?I hope so. That would be the only way I would ever consider buying the Star Wars movies.

Grouchy
11-01-2012, 05:19 AM
Also? Say goodbye to all the fan made stuff. I bet the lawyers are already printing up the C&Ds.
True, hadn't thought of that.

number8
11-01-2012, 05:32 AM
True, hadn't thought of that.

Yeah that's probably going to be the biggest change.

megladon8
11-01-2012, 05:51 AM
Even Fat Star Wars Kid? :sad:

baby doll
11-01-2012, 08:13 AM
If I had as much money as George Lucas, I'd definitely build myself one of those Russian fuck pits.

Rowland
11-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Hitler responds. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsK537mAqc&feature=player_embedded) :cool:
Insane nerd named Francis responds. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2rWbHIMQsQ) http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/guns/suicide.gif

Irish
11-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Insane nerd named Francis responds. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2rWbHIMQsQ) http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/guns/suicide.gif

Holy hell, that guy is like Cartman come to life.

MadMan
11-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Hitler responds. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsK537mAqc&feature=player_embedded) :cool:"At least Leia is a Disney princess now." :lol:

The line about Air Bud 5 being acceptable was the best, though.

Dukefrukem
11-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Couldn't 20th Century Fox conceivably put out their own Theatrical cut BDs though, now that Lucas isn't there to put any kibosh on the effort?

They'd make so much money on it. It would be stupid of them NOT to do it.

Dukefrukem
11-01-2012, 12:59 PM

:lol::lol:

Morris Schæffer
11-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Lol. Air Bud 5. In germany that's probably "Luft Freund."

Russ
11-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Hitler responds. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsK537mAqc&feature=player_embedded) :cool:

Somebody give that guy some Cheesy Poofs, stat.

[ETM]
11-02-2012, 07:27 PM

He's more like the result of severe hate sex between Cartman and Shelly Broflovski.

Pop Trash
11-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Wow.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/george-lucas-donate-4-billion_n_2067145.html?utm_hp_ ref=mostpopular

Irish
11-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Wow.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/george-lucas-donate-4-billion_n_2067145.html?utm_hp_ ref=mostpopular

It's pretty goddamn magnificent & admirable.

The cynical side of me says he's shopping for his legacy with that money, a la Carnegie and Gates, but then again I wish more of the wealthy would do that.

number8
11-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Earlier this year, he pissed off his wealthy upperclass neighbors by buying a huge chunk of land in Marin County and donated it for affordable housing. His neighbors are pissed because they're afraid it's going to bring undesirables into their idyllic estates. Heh.

Pop Trash
11-03-2012, 11:47 PM
It's pretty goddamn magnificent & admirable.

The cynical side of me says he's shopping for his legacy with that money, a la Carnegie and Gates, but then again I wish more of the wealthy would do that.

Yeah, I mean it's one thing to donate a portion of one of the biggest entertainment deals in history, it's another thing to donate all of the earnings. I'm impressed, George...that is if you actually go through with it.

Kurosawa Fan
11-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Earlier this year, he pissed off his wealthy upperclass neighbors by buying a huge chunk of land in Marin County and donated it for affordable housing. His neighbors are pissed because they're afraid it's going to bring undesirables into their idyllic estates. Heh.

From what I read, he bought the land a long time ago, wanted to build a huge studio for LucasArts, the neighborhood shot him down more than once in a vote, and his affordable housing was a way of getting back at them.

Dukefrukem
11-05-2012, 11:52 AM

OR they're pissed because low income housing lowers home values that were already there.

number8
11-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I really hope he makes some kind of smaller, personal film before he goes away for good. I just want to see what'll happen to him after he's freed of Star Wars.

Oh good:

“Mostly it will be philanthropy but I’m also going to make my own little personal films,” he said of his plans.

His last film was this year’s Red Tails, which told the story of the Tuskegee Airmen, a legendary black flight unit formed in 1941 that debunked widely held beliefs that black pilots were incapable of fighting in combat. While he described that film as a labor of love, he said, “I’m going to go further out than that. I barely got Red Tails into the theaters. The ones I’m working on now will never get into the theaters.”

Ezee E
11-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Red Tails was one of those personal films? He's spoken of said films for as long as I've followed Star Wars.

number8
11-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Red Tails was one of those personal films? He's spoken of said films for as long as I've followed Star Wars.

Yeah, Lucas had been trying to make Red Tails since the 80s. He held onto that project for over 20 years. It was pretty important to him, I guess.

He's been saying he wanted to make smaller films for years, but then just kept doing Star Wars and Indiana Jones shit with Lucasfilm. So now that he's no longer part of Lucasfilm, maybe they'll actually happen?

I saw him talk at a panel discussion with Coppola a few years back, around when Youth Without Youth came out, and I remember Coppola making friendly jabs at Lucas for wasting his talent (or so Coppola believes). I dunno, maybe what Coppola is doing recently in his old age inspired Lucas to make the sale.

Qrazy
11-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Lucas is a shitty filmmaker at this point, I can't say I'm excited to see him direct much of anything.

Watashi
11-05-2012, 10:10 PM
It's hard to judge Lucas properly considering all he's made recently were the prequel trilogy. I mean, the two non-Star Wars films Lucas has made are pretty good.

MadMan
11-07-2012, 08:04 AM
It's hard to judge Lucas properly considering all he's made recently were the prequel trilogy. I mean, the two non-Star Wars films Lucas has made are pretty good.I haven't seen American Graffiti but I did think highly of THX-1138.

Qrazy
11-07-2012, 06:02 PM
It's hard to judge Lucas properly considering all he's made recently were the prequel trilogy. I mean, the two non-Star Wars films Lucas has made are pretty good.

It's not hard to judge, he made a couple of good films in the 70's. Plenty of directors have a golden period and then taper off and start making crapola. Lucas directly made the prequel films but he also had his hands all over Red Tails and Indiana Jones 4. I see no reason to believe based upon everything he's been involved with in the last 30 years that he can still make a good film.

Dukefrukem
12-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Disney already fudging up Star Wars? Star Wars meets Extreme Makeover on ABC.

http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/stormtrooper-sweeping__121204125453-575x384.jpg

Sycophant
12-04-2012, 01:32 PM

http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/stormtrooper-sweeping__121204125453-575x384.jpg

http://rebuildbastropcounty.com/2011/12/12/storm-troopers/

Chris Berban, squad leader for the Central Texas 501st Legion was one of a handful of Star Wars re-enactors including an Imperial Officer, Storm, Sand, Snow, and Clone Troopers on site for ABC’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition taping in Smithville on Sunday.

Berban and members of the Legion, also known as Vader’s Fist, have come from all over Central Texas including Austin, San Antonio, and Houston to donate their time. The 501st Legion is a Lucas Films approved organization that coordinates visits with sick children and adults in hospitals, as well as charitable and fundraising events. All of the Legion’s members are employed full time and come from many different industries, including but not limited to technology, public service (police officers), and corporate businesses. Each member designs and creates their own costume replica and typically, as they will in Smithville, makes a Storm Trooper mask for the family and autographs the inside. Upon first glance, one wonders what Storm Troopers are doing at such an event.

Sycophant
12-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Alternate reply: How the fudge would this be even more fudged up than the ship Lucasfilm already been fudging it up with? Ship be fudged.

Ivan Drago
12-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Mmmmm...fudge.

Fezzik
12-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Alternate reply: How the fudge would this be even more fudged up than the ship Lucasfilm already been fudging it up with? Ship be fudged.

Not only that:

1 - Disney had nothing to do with it.

2 - The episode was filmed before the sale was made.

People are just looking for stuff to fill their hunger for bitterness and self-entitled rage.

Dukefrukem
11-18-2018, 02:01 AM
I couldn't remember where we were having the Disney World talks but... I want to sit in the millennium falcon..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryorxnoVWxQ