PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Stone's W.

Pages : [1] 2

Spinal
01-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Director Oliver Stone, who has made movies about Presidents John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon, is developing a project about the current occupant of the White House, but promises it will not be a hatchet job, Daily Variety reported on Sunday.

Stone is in talks with Josh Brolin, who is starring in "No Country For Old Men," to play the title role in "Bush," the trade paper said.
(http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080121/pl_nm/bush_stone_dc_2)

EvilShoe
01-21-2008, 06:38 AM
Did Bush himself cast the role?

MadMan
01-21-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm actually wondering if Oliver Stone will make this film with a conservative viewpoint, if only to throw us all for a loop and to actually distract his critics. Funny enough he could actually use conservatism to critique Bush, as Dubya has pretty much violated any and all conservative principals he's payed lip service to over the years.

PS: Probably not though. He is a hardcore leftist. But then he made that Sept. 11 flick that according to critics was not political at all. Weird.

Henry Gale
01-21-2008, 06:52 AM
This will be a fun flick.

Skitch
01-21-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm actually wondering if Oliver Stone will make this film with a conservative viewpoint, if only to throw us all for a loop and to actually distract his critics. Funny enough he could actually use conservatism to critique Bush, as Dubya has pretty much violated any and all conservative principals he's payed lip service to over the years.

PS: Probably not though. He is a hardcore leftist. But then he made that Sept. 11 flick that according to critics was not political at all. Weird.

I agree. Though I still have to see his 9/11 flick.

Dukefrukem
01-21-2008, 02:41 PM
yeh i read about this, this morning... what a waste

Rowland
01-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I'd love to see a return to the spazzed out approach he took to JFK and Nixon.

Raiders
01-21-2008, 03:28 PM
I like Josh Brolin... but really? I take it this will reflect more on his Texas days rather than his presidency?

Rowland
01-21-2008, 03:30 PM
I like Josh Brolin... but really? I take it this will reflect more on his Texas days rather than his presidency?Yep, Stone says it will be about his rise to power.

Spinal
01-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Barbara Bush will be played by John Travolta in drag.

transmogrifier
01-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Yep, Stone says it will be about his rise to power.

Baby is born.

Grows up.

Daddy becomes President.

He becomes President.

The end.

Seriously, is there a more boring story out there?

Rowland
01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Baby is born.

Grows up.

Daddy becomes President.

He becomes President.

The end.

Seriously, is there a more boring story out there?Don't forget:

Snorts coke and guzzles whiskey out of the bottle shot with three different film stocks and edited with subliminal images of Indians dancing.

D_Davis
01-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Barbara Bush will be played by John Travolta in drag.

And a fat suit - double Oscar.

Raiders
01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
And a fat suit - double Oscar.

That's a terrible fat joke. You should be ashamed. Who do you work for? Southwest Airlines?

Derek
01-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Don't forget:

Snorts coke and guzzles whiskey out of the bottle shot with three different film stocks and edited with subliminal images of Indians dancing.

Plus acid flashbacks of Sammy Sosa, dry oil wells and him flicking off the camera when he thought it wasn't running.

Skitch
01-21-2008, 09:09 PM

Haha!

Stone is a fucking HACK. For real.

Rowland
01-21-2008, 09:11 PM
I like some of Stone's movies a lot. He has his endearing qualities.

Skitch
01-21-2008, 09:17 PM
I like some of Stone's movies a lot. He has his endearing qualities.

True. JFK is good (though a bit bloated in length), The Doors is brilliant...and I've pretty much hated everything else the guy has done (yes, including Platoon). I think his chopped hackneyed style of direction worked for The Doors because of the nature of the material.

But that's just me...

Mysterious Dude
01-21-2008, 10:05 PM
George W. Bush's presidency speaks for itself.

Ezee E
01-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Baby is born.

Grows up.

Daddy becomes President.

He becomes President.

The end.

Seriously, is there a more boring story out there?
I said the same thing about The Queen.

transmogrifier
01-21-2008, 10:22 PM

And that was a boring, pointless story as well.

D_Davis
01-21-2008, 10:55 PM

And that was a boring, pointless story as well.

But the Queen doesn't cuss and do drugs.

MadMan
01-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Don't forget:

Snorts coke and guzzles whiskey out of the bottle shot with three different film stocks and edited with subliminal images of Indians dancing.That could be brilliant :lol:

number8
01-22-2008, 01:09 AM
The center of the movie will be about Dubya being a born again Christian. Essentially, this is a movie about a coke-snorting alcoholic who profoundly believes that God actually wants him to become the leader of the free world.

I think that sounds immensely interesting, don't you?

Wryan
01-22-2008, 01:19 AM

If it were some other country's leader, I'd agree with you.

transmogrifier
01-22-2008, 01:57 AM
The center of the movie will be about Dubya being a born again Christian. Essentially, this is a movie about a coke-snorting alcoholic who profoundly believes that God actually wants him to become the leader of the free world.

No, not really.

Bosco B Thug
01-22-2008, 02:23 AM

I think that sounds immensely interesting, don't you? It sure does. It could be an affecting look at the modern vapidity of the American political wasteland and its dependence on old American values. Bush can even grow in self-awareness and become the existentially driven idiot savant. It'd be like Nashville. Or a masculine Marie Antoinette...

MadMan
01-22-2008, 02:35 AM
It sure does. It could be an affecting look at the modern vapidity of the American political wasteland and its dependence on old American values. Bush can even grow in self-awareness and become the existentially driven idiot savant. It'd be like Nashville. Or a masculine Marie Antoinette...If its anything like Nashvillle I will most readily see it. I don't mind Stone borrowing/copying from someone like Altman. As it stands the storyline you imagined would result in a rather interesting and potentially diverse film.

Ezee E
01-22-2008, 02:41 AM

If you put it that way, but I'm fairly sure it won't have that approach.

Grouchy
01-22-2008, 03:18 AM
If it were some other country's leader, I'd agree with you.
Huh? Please explain.

number8
01-22-2008, 05:09 AM
If you put it that way, but I'm fairly sure it won't have that approach.

I wasn't guessing:

"Here, I'm the referee, and I want a fair, true portrait of the man. How did Bush go from an alcoholic bum to the most powerful figure in the world? It's like Frank Capra territory on one hand, but I'll also cover the demons in his private life, his bouts with his dad and his conversion to Christianity, which explains a lot of where he is coming from. It includes his belief that God personally chose him to be president of the United States, and his coming into his own with the stunning, preemptive attack on Iraq. It will contain surprises for Bush supporters and his detractors."

EvilShoe
01-22-2008, 05:26 AM
I'm just glad he's not making another safe film.
Stone's personal works at least always contain enjoyable scenes, even if they are rubbish (i.e. Alexander).

Qrazy
01-22-2008, 05:42 AM
I think we're all conveniently forgetting the most important issue here... which is that Stone hasn't made a good film in over 15 years.

I would prefer a Clinton biopic. The man had it all and pissed it away for a blow-job.

Ezee E
01-22-2008, 02:21 PM
I think we're all conveniently forgetting the most important issue here... which is that Stone hasn't made a good film in over 15 years.

I would prefer a Clinton biopic. The man had it all and pissed it away for a blow-job.
I don't think either story would be good.

The Bush movie will be interesting because there are so many directions it can go in. I really have no idea what to expect, and that actually does excite me. I just don't think Stone has anything left in him.

Wryan
01-23-2008, 06:33 AM
Huh? Please explain.

If I explain, it'll just ruin the prestige.

Yxklyx
01-23-2008, 09:52 PM
You see? You see? Your stupid minds! Stupid! Stupid!

Watashi
03-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Director Oliver Stone has set James Cromwell to play George Herbert Walker Bush and Ellen Burstyn to play former first lady Barbara Bush in W, a drama about the formative years of their son, President George W. Bush.

Josh Brolin is playing the title character, and Elizabeth Banks will play first lady Laura Bush.

Stone will direct from a script by his Wall Street co-writer Stanley Weiser. Moritz Borman is producing with Bill Block and Jon Kilik.

The film will begin shooting Shreveport, Louisiana, at the end of April.

Man, this has disaster written all over it.

Sven
03-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Man, this has disaster written all over it.

How so? Seems like a pretty solid cast to me.

MadMan
03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
You see? You see? Your stupid minds! Stupid! Stupid!Thanks to TCM I know where that line is from! Awesome!

And I agree with iosos about the cast.

Sycophant
03-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Really? Elizabeth Banks as Laura Bush? Really?

Watashi
03-27-2008, 05:43 PM
After World Trade Center and Alexander, I'm pretty much done with Oliver Stone.

KK2.0
03-27-2008, 11:36 PM
I wasn't guessing:

"... It includes his belief that God personally chose him to be president of the United States."

Like the soldier character in World Trade Center. Is that a recurrent theme in his flicks now?

That character was freaky though, i was unsure if it was an irony or an actually serious portrait.

Kurosawa Fan
03-28-2008, 01:37 AM
Really? Elizabeth Banks as Laura Bush? Really?

I'm in love with her, so I approve.

Sycophant
03-28-2008, 01:39 AM
I'm in love with her, so I approve.I'm rather fond of Ms. Banks myself. Her playing Laura Bush could very well put me into conflicted convulsions.

EvilShoe
04-06-2008, 01:31 PM
More casting news!
Thandie Newton is Condoleezza Rice, Ioan Gruffud is Tony Blair:

The Hollywood Reporter says that Oliver Stone has cast Thandie Newton to play National Security Advisor-turned-Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Ioan Gruffudd as former British prime minister Tony Blair in his upcoming W (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=41111).

Rice and Blair are the first non-Bush roles to be cast; Josh Brolin, James Cromwell, Elizabeth Banks and Ellen Burstyn had previously been cast as George W., George Sr., Laura and Barbara Bush, respectively.

Stone's film is expected to start shooting shortly. The movie will look at Bush's formative years and path to the president as well as his life inside the White House.

Among the key W (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=41111) roles yet to be cast are those of Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and Karl Rove.

This is all so very strange.

number8
04-06-2008, 04:49 PM
This cast is ridiculously good and spot-on.

Ezee E
04-06-2008, 04:55 PM
More casting news!
Thandie Newton is Condoleezza Rice, Ioan Gruffud is Tony Blair:

This is all so very strange.

yes.

Ivan Drago
04-06-2008, 05:02 PM
The title alone is bad-ass.

Watashi
04-09-2008, 10:22 PM
You can read the opening scene in the script here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/photos/stylus/22342-w_script.pdf

Watch out, though. It is baaaad. :lol:

Sycophant
04-09-2008, 10:27 PM
You can read the opening scene in the script here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/photos/stylus/22342-w_script.pdf

Watch out, though. It is baaaad. :lol:Wow. That was decidedly not good!

Watashi
04-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Wow. That was decidedly not good!
It's some of the most awful screenwriting I've ever seen.

number8
04-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Early 40s... President? What?

Sven
04-10-2008, 02:37 AM
Anyone willing to bet on that being a fake? It's way too self-conscious and parodic. "Turdblossom"? I understand it's his real nickname, but seriously, no way.

Kurosawa Fan
04-10-2008, 02:38 AM
Anyone willing to bet on that being a fake? It's way too self-conscious and parodic. "Turdblossom"? No way, no way.

My thoughts exactly. If it is real, Stone has fallen further than I ever thought he would. And I gave him a lot of room to fall.

number8
04-10-2008, 03:04 AM
Umm, Turdblossom is an actual nickname of Karl Rove.

It's a Texan slang referencing flower that came out of cow manure, meaning it's something good that came out of something bad.

Bush calls Rove that because by his count, Rove is great at making great decisions from shitty situations.

number8
04-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Although, actually, I did sense that it might've been fake. The present day baseball stadium crowd scene flashbacking to older years is ridiculously cheesy. What is this, a musical biopic?

Sven
04-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Umm, Turdblossom is an actual nickname of Karl Rove.

I know. But its insertion in the dialogue is retarded and not something I'd expect from a real screenplay.

Spinal
04-10-2008, 03:29 AM
It says 'Draft 2'. It doesn't seem likely that they would actually shoot from Draft 2.

Ezee E
04-10-2008, 01:22 PM
It says 'Draft 2'. It doesn't seem likely that they would actually shoot from Draft 2.
It doesn't seem likely that someone would actually write that and hope it gets made.

No way that's real.

Sycophant
04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I think it's probably real; just an early draft. Article from The Hollywood Reporter when the full draft was circulated:

As the film preps for its April 21 start date, The Hollywood Reporter sent a copy of the screenplay to four Bush biographers for their comments. The draft is dated October 17, 2007, and has recently been circulated to talent, though a person close to the film said the script has since gone through at least two drafts.

Naturally, what a director does with a script is how a movie ultimately is judged, but because this screenplay depicts a sitting president and the run-up to the war in Iraq, its authenticity is becoming a hotly debated subject -- not to mention the fact that any historical material Stone has touched has become controversial.

Reactions to the script from the biographers were mixed. They said specific scenes are largely based in fact but noted that the screenplay contains inaccurate and over-the-top caricatures of Bush and his inner circle.

"It leaves you with the impression that the White House is run as a fraternity house with no reverence for hierarchy, the office itself or for the implications of policy," said Robert Draper, author of "Dead Certain: The Presidency of George Bush." "Everybody calling everybody else nicknames and chatting about whether to go to war as if they were chatting about how to bet on a football game really misses the mark of how many White Houses, including this one, are run."

DavidSeven
04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
There isn't much room to fall from Alexander, which in itself was already a sledgehammer parable for W. Bush. If you've seen it then you know there is no material too terrible for Stone to direct.

Spinal
04-10-2008, 05:26 PM
"It leaves you with the impression that the White House is run as a fraternity house with no reverence for hierarchy, the office itself or for the implications of policy," said Robert Draper, author of "Dead Certain: The Presidency of George Bush."

No, it doesn't. I already had that impression

Watashi
05-08-2008, 05:58 PM
First look at Brolin as the Prez:

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080507/cover-story/josh-brolin_l.jpg

http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/may162008_991_lg.jpg

DavidSeven
05-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Unintentional comedy will ensue.

Henry Gale
05-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Better pic:

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/w-ewcover.jpg

So the movie's just called "W", which everyone will undoubtedly pronounce "dubya".

Mysterious Dude
05-08-2008, 09:46 PM
There's no way this won't be terrible.

Ezee E
05-08-2008, 11:43 PM
The more I see, the more I think it is suppose to be a comedy.

number8
05-09-2008, 01:43 AM
I keep laughing whenever I see that Brolin pic. I can't help it. The way he furrows his brows is just too funny. Judging this movie objectively is going to be very hard.

EyesWideOpen
05-10-2008, 03:31 AM
The more I see, the more I think it is suppose to be a comedy.

The EW article mentions their is a lot of comedy in it.

Sycophant
05-10-2008, 04:28 AM
The EW article mentions their is a lot of comedy in it.
I hope that means pratfalls.

Ezee E
05-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Although, the way its going, it's going to be a 2-hour SNL skit. What's the point?

eternity
05-10-2008, 11:21 PM
"It leaves you with the impression that the White House is run as a fraternity house with no reverence for hierarchy, the office itself or for the implications of policy," said Robert Draper, author of "Dead Certain: The Presidency of George Bush." "Everybody calling everybody else nicknames and chatting about whether to go to war as if they were chatting about how to bet on a football game really misses the mark of how many White Houses, including this one, are run."

http://www.filehive.com/files/080510/lilbush.jpg

Come on, it can't be that far off.

Bosco B Thug
05-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Although, the way its going, it's going to be a 2-hour SNL skit. What's the point?
Haha. Wow, I can't believe this will be out within a year.

I imagine the film climaxing with some overbearing representation of the occupation of Iraq. Nothing I've read on the film leads me to believe it's concerned with anything else or ventures after it.

Ezee E
06-05-2008, 11:30 PM
http://www.ioncinema.com/images/user/news_3037_user_16546.jpg

A Teaser poster apparently.

Watashi
06-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Can't see it.

Sven
06-05-2008, 11:47 PM
A bit... *ahem*... obvious, don't you think, Mr. Stone?

Ezee E
06-05-2008, 11:48 PM
A bit... *ahem*... obvious, don't you think, Mr. Stone?
There's no picture. That's as subtle as Stone gets.

number8
06-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Oh god.

Winston*
06-06-2008, 12:31 AM
That's amazing.

Sycophant
06-06-2008, 12:43 AM
For those, like me, who couldn't see the image:
Click it (http://www.cinematical.com/2008/06/05/a-teaser-poster-for-w/).

Spinal
06-06-2008, 12:56 AM
I agree with the blogger. Disappointing. I hope the film provides more substance than this marketing angle suggests.

Watashi
06-06-2008, 01:06 AM
I still don't see the poster.

MacGuffin
06-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Count on Stone to deliver something so fucking unsubtle. This is why I can't sit through his movies.

Spinal
06-06-2008, 01:20 AM
I don't want it to be subtle. I want it to be provocative. Pointing out Bush's poor public speaking skills is not provocative. Hopefully Stone takes a hard look at the men of power who propped Bush up.

Sven
06-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Hopefully Stone takes a hard look at the men of power who propped Bush up.

Toby Jones as Karl Rove!!

megladon8
06-06-2008, 01:31 AM
I don't really understand this movie's intentions.

That poster leads me to believe it's a "let's make fun of our stupid President!" comedy.

But when word first came around that this was being made, I thought it was going to be more along the lines of JFK or Nixon (ie, serious).

MacGuffin
06-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Pointing out Bush's poor public speaking skills is not provocative

That is exactly what the poster does; it's not provocative, it's not challenging, it's not subtle, it's not interesting, so it must be Oliver Stone.

Spinal
06-06-2008, 02:05 AM
That is exactly what the poster does ...

Which is why I mentioned it. Stone's made good and bad films. I won't write this off yet.

Ezee E
06-06-2008, 02:18 AM
I don't really understand this movie's intentions.

That poster leads me to believe it's a "let's make fun of our stupid President!" comedy.

But when word first came around that this was being made, I thought it was going to be more along the lines of JFK or Nixon (ie, serious).

That was what was assumed. You take a look at any pics of Brolin, any interviews, and the poster, and you'll see it'll be a comedy that SNL accomplishes in four minutes.

Ivan Drago
06-06-2008, 03:38 AM
My friends actually think W is a funny title.

Grouchy
06-06-2008, 04:56 AM
I'd be disappointed is this movie was subtle in any way. That poster is amazing in its bluntness.

How long before someone at the White House comments on the movie?

Briare
07-27-2008, 09:35 PM
We have a trailer. Definitely going to be interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJh7Md5KuWc&fmt=18

Raiders
07-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Stone's films almost always look interesting to me, and that trailer is no different, but the end products are so damn erratic. I'll be there in the theater though.

Spinal
07-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Hee hee hee. I'm in.

Ezee E
07-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Good trailer actually.

Kurosawa Fan
07-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Wow. I'm anticipating an Oliver Stone film. I feel like I'm back in high school again.

Spinal
07-27-2008, 10:06 PM
The shot of George going to the slammer in a Yale sweatshirt is golden.

I also like that the film seems to have focus on one particularly compelling question. Namely, how the hell did Bush get into the White House to begin with?

soitgoes...
07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll see it, but man, it's been 17 years since Stone has made anything that I've seen as being good. At least this has got the interesting thing going for it, which is something that I haven't felt going into a Stone film since Nixon.

Qrazy
07-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Looks more promising than anything he's done in a long time but somehow I still think it will probably suck because the man seems to have lost his craft... mostly editing/story construction-wise... his cinematography/drawing out quality performances has for the most part remained.

Mysterious Dude
07-27-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm so tired of George W. Bush that I'm not particularly interested in seeing his life story on film.

Pop Trash
07-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Hee hee hee. I'm in.
Yeah me too, even though it seems like it will be Primary Colors 2 (which I actually kinda liked) The cast alone makes me smile. I wonder what approach he will take. I think the whole dry, comedic route should be offset with some tragedy at the end. I think Stone might view Dubya as some Manchurian Candidate; just some stooge who managed to get into the White House by the people around him playing up his "likeability" and the US population retardedly going along with it.

Incedently, this would be the first Stone film I would see since Natural Born Killers. I kinda lost interest after that even though I love Platoon and JFK. I still keep meaning to rent his take on Nixon.

megladon8
07-27-2008, 11:02 PM
I really don't care about this movie.

Ditto on Antoine's post - I'm so tired of hearing about Bush, a movie is the last thing I want to see.

Qrazy
07-28-2008, 04:11 AM
I'm so tired of George W. Bush that I'm not particularly interested in seeing his life story on film.

This is also true. The guy is such a tremendous waste of space douchebag.

Morris Schæffer
07-28-2008, 09:20 PM
This is also true. The guy is such a tremendous waste of space douchebag.

But is he? Who is Dubya when he's not sending men to their Iraqi grave? When he's not actually in the White House? So perhaps he's a pretty terrible president, but is he a colossal waste of a human being? Am I supposed to believe that whoever gets elected President is automatically assumed to be totally up to the challenge? Sounds like a motherfucker of a challenge so there's no such thing as perfection. Mistakes were no doubt made, but are those all to be blamed on him? I'm with Spinal. I'd like to see what transpired before he assumed the role of commander-in-chief. Yes, I've heard bits here and there, but I'd like to actually see it.

Sven
07-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty interested.

Qrazy
07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
So perhaps he's a pretty terrible president, but is he a colossal waste of a human being?

Yes, yes he is. He hasn't just made a few mistakes, everything he's done has been geared towards making the rich richer, the poor poorer and towards the general consolidation of power for himself and his cronies. He also can't speak English.

DavidSeven
07-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Cromwell sounds nothing like H.W.

Spinal
07-28-2008, 09:51 PM

Well, at least he's not doing a Dana Carvey impression.

Spinal
07-28-2008, 10:00 PM
I remember that one of the explanations for Bush's appeal in the 2000 election was that he was more like the kind of guy you would go have a beer with. I have no idea what that has to do with leading the country. Are world leaders typically hashing out issues of nuclear disarmament over a Bud Light down at Sal's Saloon? On the other hand, Gore was criticized for coming across like a know-it-all, which seems to me to be a fairly good quality to have for that position.

Morris Schæffer
07-28-2008, 10:18 PM

There is something comical and phony about the names of all these people appearing in the trailer. I think it would have been best had the marketeers refrained from doing that.

Morris Schæffer
07-28-2008, 10:21 PM
I remember that one of the explanations for Bush's appeal in the 2000 election was that he was more like the kind of guy you would go have a beer with. I have no idea what that has to do with leading the country. Are world leaders typically hashing out issues of nuclear disarmament over a Bud Light down at Sal's Saloon? On the other hand, Gore was criticized for coming across like a know-it-all, which seems to me to be a fairly good quality to have for that position.

I'm now pondering whether there really is a "Sal's Saloon" or whether you made that up.

Spinal
07-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm now pondering whether there really is a "Sal's Saloon" or whether you made that up.

I'm sure there is somewhere.

Ezee E
07-28-2008, 11:08 PM
I googled it. And there is.

But yeah, I have no idea why I'd vote for someone because I'd rather have a beer with him. If anything, I wouldn't vote for that person, because the chances of us having a beer while he's President... Not going to happen.

number8
08-04-2008, 11:58 PM
New poster:

http://www.justpressplay.net/images/stories/w-teaserposter.jpg

Wrote my thoughts on it here (http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/movie-news/3800-oliver-stones-qwq-teaser-poster.html).

Qrazy
08-05-2008, 05:52 AM

The thing I love most about Sal's Saloon is they don't seem to mind if you rail a few lines of coke off the bar either.

Bosco B Thug
08-05-2008, 06:28 AM
Not having much an idea about Stone (I've seen zero of his films!), I predict this will be kinda worthless but slick and clever and sexier than it has any business being. And it will draw the money kinda like those Date/Epic/Superhero Movie films do.

Smart marketing, so far, I think.

Qrazy
08-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Not having much an idea about Stone (I've seen zero of his films!), I predict this will be kinda worthless but slick and clever and sexier than it has any business being. And it will draw the money kinda like those Date/Epic/Superhero Movie films do.

Smart marketing, so far, I think.

Get on JFK asap.

Bosco B Thug
08-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Get on JFK asap. Will do.

lemon
08-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Well my friend from school got out of class and lacrosse practice to go up and eat dinner with Bush because their families were friends or business associates. He told me that Bush was actually pretty funny and nice.

JFK was good and I will eventually see this but I guess I'll jump on with others in saying I hear about Bush enough already; the last thing I want to do is sit through 2-3 hours of his life story.

Rowland
08-05-2008, 06:43 PM
I prefer Stone when he's at his most insane, so I hope this isn't another WTC.

MadMan
08-11-2008, 06:48 PM
I knew I should have watched the trailer before it got pulled. Oh well. I still want to see this film for the time being.

megladon8
08-11-2008, 06:48 PM
I knew I should have watched the trailer before it got pulled. Oh well. I still want to see this film for the time being.

Trailer's here. (http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/w/trailer_large.html)

MadMan
08-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Trailer's here. (http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/w/trailer_large.html)Rep for you, and thanks.

Also that teaser is beyond awesome. I am seeing this movie, no question about it. Wow. Look at that cast too! Most of the folks involved scarily look like the people they are portraying. That is really cool.

Oh and I will admit the only Stone film I have seen is the magnificent and great JFK, although I do have Nixon down at the local video store. I should rent that one.

megladon8
08-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Rep for you, and thanks.

Also that teaser is beyond awesome. I am seeing this movie, no question about it. Wow. Look at that cast too! Most of the folks involved scarily look like the people they are portraying. That is really cool.

Really?

I think all of them look nothing like the real people.

But thanks for the rep :P

number8
08-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Yeah, what about those look like their counterparts? Dreyfuss looks like the weirdest Cheney I've ever seen.

Sxottlan
08-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Dreyfuss looks like the weirdest Cheney I've ever seen.

Dreyfuss looked like Cheney to me, but Scott Glenn, as much as I'm glad to see him back on screen, looks nothing like Rumsfeld to me.

lemon
08-13-2008, 03:07 PM
I saw the trailer for this before Pineapple Express and I thought it was hilarious. However, I was real high so that may have skewed things a bit.

MadMan
08-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I saw the trailer for this before Pineapple Express and I thought it was hilarious. However, I was real high so that may have skewed things a bit.I watched the trailer sober. It does have many funny moments. I loved it when Daddy Bush tells Dubya that he's a Bush, not a Kennedy. And of course when the younger is about to fight the old man. I wonder how much funny over the top melodrama will be involved in this picture.

Yeah, what about those look like their counterparts? Dreyfuss looks like the weirdest Cheney I've ever seen.I actually hardly recognized him. So I think he does look like Cheney. Broslin actually looks like Bush, Thadie does look like Rice, I think Glenn is somewhat close to appearing as Rumsfeld (I'm psyched that he was cast). However the rest of the bunch really doesn't look like their real life counterparts, although I did forget to mention that what's her name does look like Barbara, although I'm guessing they used makeup and such. The cast alone sells me on this film, and while Cromwell is British and thus probably shouldn't be playing Daddy Bush he does act the part halfway convincingly.

Philosophe_rouge
08-14-2008, 01:04 AM
That trailer makes me want to see it. It might even be better than THE HAPPENING.

Watashi
08-20-2008, 02:59 AM
Some behind-the-scenes look at Brolin's performance. (http://video.accesshollywood.com/player/?id=286268)

He looks pretty damn impressive so far.

Sxottlan
08-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Some behind-the-scenes look at Brolin's performance. (http://video.accesshollywood.com/player/?id=286268)

It's ridiculous how much he sounds like him.

Excellent new poster:

http://www.awardsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/wwwww2.jpg

Spinal
08-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Great poster, but they could lose the tagline in my opinion.

number8
08-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Great poster, but they could lose the tagline in my opinion.

There's another one with the tagline "Anyone can grow up to be president."

Saya
08-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Another poster:

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/wposterhighres1.jpg

MadMan
08-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Man I want a W. poster. All of the ones so far have been awesome.

Watashi
08-30-2008, 07:40 PM
A clip from the movie: When Bush met Laura. (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2008/08/28/w.preview.clip.lionsgate?iref= videosearch)

Yep. Definitely a comedy.

eternity
08-30-2008, 07:50 PM
A clip from the movie: When Bush met Laura. (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2008/08/28/w.preview.clip.lionsgate?iref= videosearch)

Yep. Definitely a comedy.

I don't even know how to describe it.

number8
08-30-2008, 08:01 PM
He's charmin'.

Spinal
08-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Awesome.

NickGlass
08-30-2008, 08:17 PM
I really hope they include the part of the story where teenage Laura kills a classmate with her car.

Judging from that clip, it looks like George W. Bush is suffering from an extreme case of ADHD.

Grouchy
08-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Judging from that clip, it looks like George W. Bush is suffering from an extreme case of ADHD.
ADVANCED DUNGEONS HAND DRAGONS?

Watashi
09-19-2008, 01:50 AM
http://www.awardsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/wcast2.jpg

I wish it was bigger. I'd make it my desktop background.

I can't wait for this movie.

number8
09-19-2008, 02:41 AM
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH OH GOD LOOK AT DREYFUSS.

I am seeing this movie stoned out of my mind. I have to.

Dead & Messed Up
09-19-2008, 02:52 AM
I love how out of all the Animal House alumni, D-Day was the only one who made it.

Spinal
09-19-2008, 03:54 AM
Creeeeeeeeepy!

MadMan
09-19-2008, 04:02 AM
This will be the movie of the year. Its now my most anticipated of the fall season. I must see it. That picture only makes me more certain about how awesome it will be.

Winston*
09-19-2008, 04:44 AM
I'm putting my money on this movie being borderline unwatchable.

Sycophant
09-19-2008, 04:47 AM
I honestly have no idea what the hell to expect from this movie.

Malickfan
09-19-2008, 04:49 AM
I'm putting my money on this movie being borderline unwatchable.

Yep. It's pretty sad that the last great thing Oliver Stone did was that cameo in Dave.

Ezee E
09-19-2008, 04:54 AM
I'm surprised people are getting excited over this.

I don't expect crap, but there's just far better movies coming out.

MadMan
09-19-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm surprised people are getting excited over this.

I don't expect crap, but there's just far better movies coming out.Like what? I really don't have anything else on my radar for this fall. But then I mostly rely on this forum to let me know about new movies about to come out and stuff of that nature.

Grouchy
09-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Like what? I really don't have anything else on my radar for this fall. But then I mostly rely on this forum to let me know about new movies about to come out and stuff of that nature.
For me, it's this, the new Spike Lee and Eastwood.

And Hellboy II, which hasn't been released here yet and which I refuse to download or watch on DVD first.

Ivan Drago
09-19-2008, 08:45 PM
I honestly have no idea what to think. I probably won't until I actually see it.

I hate to change the subject, but how is Stone's The Doors? I'm very interested in it.

MadMan
09-19-2008, 11:45 PM
For me, it's this, the new Spike Lee and Eastwood.

And Hellboy II, which hasn't been released here yet and which I refuse to download or watch on DVD first.Okay, those two are worth noting.

I'll see Hellboy II maybe when it comes out on DVD.

Oh I did forgot about Frost/Nixon, which looks great.

Ezee E
09-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Like what? I really don't have anything else on my radar for this fall. But then I mostly rely on this forum to let me know about new movies about to come out and stuff of that nature.
The Road
Miracle at St. Anna
Benjamin Button

MadMan
09-20-2008, 01:57 AM
The Road
Miracle at St. Anna
Benjamin ButtonI forgot about Button. I thought the Road was 2009.

Ezee E
09-20-2008, 02:50 AM
I forgot about Button. I thought the Road was 2009.
November/December '08 buddy. Great eh?

MadMan
09-20-2008, 07:12 AM
November/December '08 buddy. Great eh?Awesome sauce. I can't wait.

Watashi
09-20-2008, 07:31 AM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=49038

Here is a TV spot that pretty much confirms it's not going to take itself seriously whatsoever.

chrisnu
09-20-2008, 06:15 PM

Here is a TV spot that pretty much confirms it's not going to take itself seriously whatsoever.
Well, they didn't use "Life During Wartime", but it's pretty easy to make the inference...

Amnesiac
09-20-2008, 08:27 PM
It's interesting that Bale was originally being considered for this one but found he was literally incapable of pulling it off. I would have liked to see those audition tapes.

transmogrifier
09-20-2008, 10:12 PM

Which is a good thing, because it's the only way in the world the film would work. A straight biography would be a complete bore.

MadMan
09-22-2008, 03:45 AM
I have a feeling that actual Bush supporters will hate this movie. Many Republicans will probably attack Stone over all this. I'm very curious as to what their actual reaction will be.

Ezee E
09-22-2008, 03:47 AM
I have a feeling that actual Bush supporters will hate this movie. Many Republicans will probably attack Stone over all this. I'm very curious as to what their actual reaction will be.
Brilliant prediction!

MadMan
09-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Brilliant prediction!Heh :P Seriously though I often tend to ramble. And honestly the reactions could be surprising. You never know.

Mysterious Dude
09-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Bush supporters would be wise to ignore the film, as they have with most Bush parodies.

Saya
09-24-2008, 10:54 PM
New trailer is up (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810026489/video/9880120)

Sven
09-24-2008, 11:51 PM
New trailer is up (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810026489/video/9880120)

Dude, awesome!

Spinal
09-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Dude, awesome!

Yeah, this looks to be a glorious artistic expression of the surreal experience it has been surviving the Bush presidency. The dark humor looks like some kind of celebration for the end of a frustrating era. No doubt some will quibble about lines that Bush didn't actually say, but this seems to be just the right pitch. We don't need a hard-hitting drama because it is self-evident by now to anyone capable of being convinced that this administration has been an epic disaster.

Kurosawa Fan
09-25-2008, 01:29 AM
FANTASTIC trailer. Can't wait.

number8
09-25-2008, 01:36 AM
OK, I'm in turnaround. That trailer is ridiculously awesome.

eternity
09-25-2008, 06:34 AM
I whipped up some meme ready gifs:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7489/dubyuuca2.gif

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3790/pretzelng0.gif

MadMan
09-25-2008, 07:36 AM
New trailer is up (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810026489/video/9880120)Amazing :lol: I don't care if I have to see this movie alone. I'm viewing it when it comes out.

ThePlashyBubbler
10-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Looks like Brolin is gonna be getting that Oscar push (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13820.html)

I'm a lot more excited for this than I thought I would be. There is also a slightly longer version of the "Once in a Lifetime" trailer here. (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.indi vidual&VideoID=43468095) Proceed cautiously, for whatever reason the video platform is myspace.

Sycophant
10-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Just saw the trailer for this in front of Religulous and was floored, which is not what I was expecting. I can't wait for this.

Ezee E
10-09-2008, 03:08 PM
There's another new trailer, and it's the best one yet.

D_Davis
10-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Looks like Brolin is gonna be getting that Oscar push (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13820.html)

I'm a lot more excited for this than I thought I would be. There is also a slightly longer version of the "Once in a Lifetime" trailer here. (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.indi vidual&VideoID=43468095) Proceed cautiously, for whatever reason the video platform is myspace.

Wow.

This looks awesome.

I'm stunned.

Henry Gale
10-09-2008, 08:13 PM
It's a shame that, of all things, any negative thoughts on it so far have criticized the film for playing it too safe for the most part and it coming off rather blandly.

That's really is the last thing I expected to be the issue here.

Spinal
10-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Stephen Colbert: "I believe it is a prequel to Spike Lee's X." :lol:

Yxklyx
10-13-2008, 10:25 PM
There's a review up on imdb.com:

"...The effort here is obviously to fashion him as a tragic hero; a man who genuinely wants to do good but simply doesn't grasp how hard that is,..."

I've kinda lost any interest I had.

Ezee E
10-13-2008, 10:29 PM

"...The effort here is obviously to fashion him as a tragic hero; a man who genuinely wants to do good but simply doesn't grasp how hard that is,..."

I've kinda lost any interest I had.
an IMDB reviewer made you lose interest?

You must not see many movies then.

soitgoes...
10-13-2008, 10:30 PM

I've kinda lost any interest I had.It's best to trust IMDb reviews.

Spinal
10-13-2008, 10:49 PM
It's pretty standard practice to try to find the motivation behind a flawed figure. That just makes for a more compelling psychological portrait. That doesn't make Bush any less of a tool. It's just Stone trying to probe what's driving him.

number8
10-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Seeing this to-nite!

Sycophant
10-14-2008, 05:36 PM
That's largely the view I've come to have of Bush. Perhaps lose the "hero" in "tragic hero," but I think it's the best way to explore him. He's not evil, even though the ends of his means may have been. Bush as Hitler stopped being entertaining (if it ever was) years ago.

Spinal
10-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Bush is not Hitler. He's a very naughty boy.

MadMan
10-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Bush is not Hitler. He's a very stupid boy.Fixed. What's interesting about Dubya is that, for all his faults, for having ruined this wonderful nation of ours, for having completely soiled the office even more so than Clinton did by getting a blowjob in the Oval Office, that he is a likable guy. I can see myself drinking with him. I did back in 2000. But, I knew even then that the dude was not fit, or able to be, president. Hey though in 2000 even though I couldn't vote I supported Nader, so go figure.

Ivan Drago
10-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Fixed. What's interesting about Dubya is that, for all his faults, for having ruined this wonderful nation of ours, for having completely soiled the office even more so than Clinton did by getting a blowjob in the Oval Office, that he is a likable guy. I can see myself drinking with him. I did back in 2000. But, I knew even then that the dude was not fit, or able to be, president. Hey though in 2000 even though I couldn't vote I supported Nader, so go figure.

Psh. America is fucked up even without Bush in the equation.

Seriously, there should be a billboard right next to the Statue of Liberty so that immigrants can see it - it should say "Welcome to America - where gas is $4.25 a gallon, our athletes take steroids and celebrities are top priority!"

Kurosawa Fan
10-15-2008, 02:28 AM
Psh. America is fucked up even without Bush in the equation.

Seriously, there should be a billboard right next to the Statue of Liberty so that immigrants can see it - it should say "Welcome to America - where gas is $4.25 a gallon, our athletes take steroids and celebrities are top priority!"

Would it then be followed up by, "In other words, it's just like your country!"?

monolith94
10-15-2008, 02:36 AM
Fixed. What's interesting about Dubya is that, for all his faults, for having ruined this wonderful nation of ours, for having completely soiled the office even more so than Clinton did by getting a blowjob in the Oval Office, that he is a likable guy. I can see myself drinking with him. I did back in 2000. But, I knew even then that the dude was not fit, or able to be, president. Hey though in 2000 even though I couldn't vote I supported Nader, so go figure.
Me too! I even attended a Nader rally in Boston. It was very exciting for a young man, unable to vote.

Ezee E
10-15-2008, 03:27 AM
Would it then be followed up by, "In other words, it's just like your country!"?
Beat me to it.

Being in Italy this year, there were quite a few differences, but celebrities were still megapeople, gas was ridiculous, and traffic seemed like a bitch.

number8
10-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Saw it. Hmm.

I predict a lot of you hating it.

Mysterious Dude
10-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Saw it. Hmm.
Were you stoned, like you promised?

MadMan
10-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Saw it. Hmm.

I predict a lot of you hating it.I bet I'll be one of the few who loves it, then. I await your thoughts.

number8
10-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Were you stoned, like you promised?

Yes, although since it was neither surreal nor overly comedic, it didn't really matter. I sobered up right quick.

I think I'll get stoned for this saturday's SNL. Josh Brolin is hosting.

ThePlashyBubbler
10-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Armond digs it. (http://nypress.com/21/42/film/ArmondWhite.cfm)

Spinal
10-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Armond digs it. (http://nypress.com/21/42/film/ArmondWhite.cfm)

Well, that can't be good.

NickGlass
10-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Well, that can't be good.

Ha! This is exactly what I was thinking.

I was sitting in front of Armond White at a press screening last week and, after reading his positive review of the film (it was Frontrunners, a well-meaning but completely unremarkable documentary), I felt satisfied with my mixed-negative review.

Sven
10-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Well, that can't be good.Ha! This is exactly what I was thinking.

It would be too easy at this point to ask whether you guys actually read the review, which makes a lot of interesting points, but it's more than likely the case that it's the same old hate train that is beyond tiresome and serves to remind one only of the frequent monotony around this place.

Indeed, it would bet too easy to ask it, so I will refrain. Instead, I will voice my own irritation at Armond's dubbing of Dakota Fanning as "great" in his Secret Life of Bees review. Seriously, ugh. So annoying.

Spinal
10-16-2008, 12:42 AM
I've seen people who read Armond White reviews. They do not seem like happier people to me.

Sven
10-16-2008, 12:56 AM
I've seen people who read Armond White reviews. They do not seem like happier people to me.

:lol: Inarguable.

DavidSeven
10-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I honestly don't give two shits about what makes Bush "tick." I don't care about "balance," and there's really nothing that excites me about the intricacies of a mediocre political mind. You're Oliver Stone. Give me something that will ruffle some feathers. Give me something that does have a political viewpoint. Give me JFK.

The early reviews (Armond's included) that point to it's objectivity as its most notable virtue are extremely disappointing.

Qrazy
10-16-2008, 05:57 PM
It would be too easy at this point to ask whether you guys actually read the review, which makes a lot of interesting points, but it's more than likely the case that it's the same old hate train that is beyond tiresome and serves to remind one only of the frequent monotony around this place.

Of which your constant championing of terrible reviewers is an inestimable contribution.

number8
10-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Speaking of Armond, he was just named chairman of the NY Film Critics Circle.

I wonder what the other members think of their chairman calling them useless.

Rowland
10-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I honestly don't give two shits about what makes Bush "tick." I don't care about "balance," and there's really nothing that excites me about the intricacies of a mediocre political mind. You're Oliver Stone. Give me something that will ruffle some feathers. Give me something that does have a political viewpoint. Give me JFK. It seems to me that attempting an empathetic portrait of the most derided president in US history while said president is still in office will ruffle feathers, and is very much a viewpoint.

Sven
10-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Of which your constant championing of terrible reviewers is an inestimable contribution.

A dude's gotta respond. It would be a redundancy to point out your policies of assholery as another perfect contribution to the aforementioned tone. By the way, you say "reviewers"... can you name more than one "terrible" "reviewer" that I champion?

Qrazy
10-17-2008, 02:24 AM
A dude's gotta respond. It would be a redundancy to point out your policies of assholery as another perfect contribution to the aforementioned tone. By the way, you say "reviewers"... can you name more than one "terrible" "reviewer" that I champion?

Yourself.

Gotta keep up that status quo.

Sven
10-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Yourself.

For the record, I've never championed myself.

DavidSeven
10-17-2008, 03:45 AM
Four Stars From Ebert (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081015/REVIEWS/810150285)

Tomato-meter not doing as hot.

Spinal
10-18-2008, 01:48 AM
Very interesting thoughts from former Press Secretary Scott McClellan. (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-10-17/my-w-and-oliver-stones/1/)

Watashi
10-18-2008, 04:49 AM
I liked it more than the tomatometer suggests, and I can understand some critics hesistance to openly embrace a sympathetic portrayal of a man considered one of the most dumbfounded leaders of the last century. Yes, Stone doesn't try to hide his secret agenda and shows all the origins of the Bushims (including the famous "fool me once" line), but the film isn't Anti-Bush. It's Anti-Bush Administration. Stone brews up many "war room" scene between Bush and his cabinet as they plot up their latest attack scheme. Bush is never the center of these meetings as Stone places him in the dark (next to Rove) as a clueless student who showed up for the wrong class.

But ultimately, this is not a film about a man's rise to presidency, but a man always under the microscope from his father. For all the attention Brolin has been receiving (and he's really good), it's Cromwell that really steals the movie away. Instead of the other cast, Cromwell doesn't do a vocal impression or try to mimic mannerisms. He plays Bush Sr. completely straight and when he speaks of disappointment, he not only speaks for his son, but for himself as well. It's really him that Stone wants you to sympathize with.

The only weak spot in cast is Thandie Newton as Condi Rice. Holy shit she was bad. Someone forgot to tell her that she's making a real movie, and not a SNL skit.

MadMan
10-18-2008, 05:44 AM
Bummer to hear about Newton, if only because I thought she was a good choice to play Condi Rice.

Ezee E
10-18-2008, 01:23 PM
I seem to be hearing the biggest things about Dreyfus. I say it's just because he came out of retirement.

Raiders
10-18-2008, 02:47 PM
I seem to be hearing the biggest things about Dreyfus. I say it's just because he came out of retirement.

When did he retire? Seems he's been working over the past few years just fine.

Sven
10-18-2008, 04:30 PM
The only weak spot in cast is Thandie Newton as Condi Rice. Holy shit she was bad. Someone forgot to tell her that she's making a real movie, and not a SNL skit.

I've been hearing that she's great in it.

number8
10-18-2008, 04:33 PM
I've been hearing that she's great in it.

She was. She got Condi's speech pattern and mannerisms so well it was hilarious. As it should be.

Ezee E
10-18-2008, 05:10 PM
When did he retire? Seems he's been working over the past few years just fine.
He says he comes out of retirement for every movie that pays enough.

Watashi
10-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Usually I have a grasp on what certain posters will think of certain movies, but I have no idea how W. will fair on here. Like Ary, I expect a lot of people to hate it.

It's funny too, because a lot of the criticisms saying it was incomplete or felt like one long highlights reel of the man are acceptable complaints, but I think Stone was striving for that. Most of us watch the news. We don't need to see Bush at moments like 9/11, Katrina, or the 2000 Election because that's all the media focused on when those events happened. It's not a film about Bush's different reactions in historical events, but Bush as an incompetent average American, who felt forced into politics to one-up his brother and prove to his father that he's capable of holding out on his own. The film doesn't make me hate or like Bush any more, but it's a fascinating and daring film especially so soon in time of Bush still in office. Stone could have probably made a better film 10 years down the road, but why wait?

Watashi
10-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I still can't believed they announced this film back in January and had it ready in October. Not many directors can pull off a rush-job quite like that.

Watashi
10-18-2008, 05:51 PM

Watch out, though. It is baaaad. :lol:

Oh, and this is exactly how it opens, but somehow it worked on the screen.

number8
10-18-2008, 05:57 PM
I still can't believed they announced this film back in January and had it ready in October. Not many directors can pull off a rush-job quite like that.

I rewatched the trailers and noticed that there are a bunch of shots not in the movie. Then I read some interviews with Stone and it sounds like the movie could have been 3 hours long. There's a whole subplot with Saddam Hussein that they cut out.

Ezee E
10-18-2008, 06:48 PM
I rewatched the trailers and noticed that there are a bunch of shots not in the movie. Then I read some interviews with Stone and it sounds like the movie could have been 3 hours long. There's a whole subplot with Saddam Hussein that they cut out.
Oliver Stone movies at three hours? NO WAY

Raiders
10-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Hmmmm.... entertaining, without a doubt. There's an undeniable SNL quality to the casting and the actors' use of exaggerated common characteristics that is both amusing and occasionally dead-on but also a bit distracting (thus, Cromwell's less mannered performance is easily the best in the film). Stone gives a proper respect to Bush, never underestimating the man or making him a simple buffoon (as would be all too easy), but nonetheless he goes for simply too much. Instead of perhaps honing in on a few details and giving some nuance to the film, he goes for far too much and tries to link it all to the image of Bush inside an empty stadium, which makes the film both too much and definitely too little. Is this really Oliver Stone? It's a shamefully tame film, obviously trying to get rid of the easy vitriol and instead display an administrative failure and linking Bush's shortcomings as both a "daddy issue" and a lack of understanding of his own failure as a properly equipped man to lead the country (and his administration, Rove and Chaney namely, all too aware of his failings). There are smaller moments, such as an informal dinner-table discussion of Guantanamo, that show a miserable lack of reverence given by Bush and his cronies to serious issues (the rather grotesque gobbling of food an outward expression of the disgust).

Ultimately, the film tries to criticize while allowing the characters to essentially crucify themselves without Stone's obvious influence, but in so doing Stone demonstrates a somewhat lacking approach to the true character of Bush. There is almost no evidence of his reported huge charisma in personal conversations, and for all Brolin's uncanny and entertaining tics, there is nothing in here to suggest Bush is as shrewd as he almost had to be. From the central character to the film's almost complete sympathetic attitude towards Colin Powell, I can't help but wonder if history isn't going to show this film as a sham. Which is fine, I don't expect accuracy from Stone, but if you're going to editorialize some parts, why not just let loose? Instead, it is an entertaining film free from typical Stone stylistic excess, but perhaps a catch-22, it is also somewhat useless and ultimately, and remarkably, forgettable.

Henry Gale
10-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I'd say it's definitely a much more interesting movie than it is a great one for many reasons already said.

I don't know what generations ahead will think of the movie, because I think the film requires a good knowledge of the key points in Bush's presidency that all of us know so well just having lived through it. I mean Stone put just as much emphasis on a scene of Bush running through the park as he does a scene of him talking to Tony Blair about going into Iraq, if not less. Also, even with all the scenes missing from some of the trailers and TV spots, I can't believe the final cut only has Ioan Gruffudd in that one scene.

But as much as I like what it focuses on, had they found a way of putting bigger events into it, I don't think it would have lessened the exploration of him at all. Like why of all presidents is he the one that has to deal with so much, why was he given this chance by, of all people, his family and the America that (in his eyes) deserted his father long ago. Then now that he is the president, everyone else likes to make the bigger decisions for him and he takes the blame. The war room scenes touch on some of it, but I think that the way it is now it's more of a companion piece to what we already know of Bush and there is still a much more complete and hopefully better film about the man to be made.

Plus I have to say that Thandie as Rice was the best impersonation, and in a role that she didn't have to do much else, I thought she was great. Better than someone like Scott Glenn as Rumsfeld who was both forgettable and nothing like the real man.

number8
10-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Figured I'd link my review (http://www.justpressplay.net/movie-reviews/40-reviews/4136-w.html).

SirNewt
10-20-2008, 05:19 AM
Figured I'd link my review (http://www.justpressplay.net/movie-reviews/40-reviews/4136-w.html).

Nice.

Though calling him the most derided president in U.S. history may be a bit much. Remember, there's always Harding and Nixon floating around down there at the bottom waiting to prop somebody up.

Barty
10-20-2008, 05:27 AM
Movie was fantastic.

And Thandie Newton was absolutely atrocious.

Spinal
10-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Utterly disappointing. You would think that an Oliver Stone film covering the sitting President would be something of a powder keg. This film is anything but, resembling a made-for-TV movie more than anything close to JFK. When did Stone's dick go so limp? The problem with the film is not that it is too sympathetic to Bush. The problem is that the film is every bit as lazy and incurious as the man who serves as the subject matter. Stone's great films provoked because they felt like investigations that were not content with conventional wisdom, films that hoped to uncover something more. This film is content to recycle events and exchanges familiar to anyone who has consistently read the paper over the past few years and then attribute all of it to a simplistic psychological need for the younger Bush to please his father. Unlike the whacked out fever dream promised by the film's trailer, W. is mostly a complete and utter bore in which there is very little that is surprising, enlightening or provocative. Only a speech by Richard Dreyfuss as Cheney outlining the argument for war approaches the kind of film this should have been. Brolin's performance is very good, but it mostly goes to waste, as most of his scenes with James Cromwell playing his father are tiresome, unimaginative speculation. There are some fun moments, like when the costume designers try to speculate what Laura Bush might wear for underwear.

And it must be said .... Thandie Newton is HORRIBLE. Laughably bad. It's like Condi Rice had a slightly retarded sister and the filmmakers created an animatronic robot to play that sister. I cringed whenever she opened her mouth.

Barty
10-20-2008, 07:44 AM
And it must be said .... Thandie Newton is HORRIBLE. Laughably bad. It's like Condi Rice had a slightly retarded sister and the filmmakers created an animatronic robot to play that sister. I cringed whenever she opened her mouth.

Bravo. I don't understand how anyone could find her performance good.

Barty
10-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Also, Laura Bush came out looking the best from all the performances. I mean literally -- Banks was smokin'.

Skitch
10-20-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm pretty sure I'll hate it. Not because I'm a fan of Bush (I'm not), I just loathe Stone. :)

Ezee E
10-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Also, Laura Bush came out looking the best from all the performances. I mean literally -- Banks was smokin'.
Always has.

Kurosawa Fan
10-20-2008, 02:53 PM
I'll wait until DVD.

Spinal
10-20-2008, 03:22 PM
It's disappointing that Stone doesn't even attempt to hold the American public (or anyone else) accountable for installing Bush as leader for eight years. It's not a controversial statement any more to say that he's been a disastrous President, so how did he get there? That question is not answered in a satisfactory fashion. It's just assumed that being folksy, Christian and likable is good enough. Stone and his writer never challenge that troubling notion. Instead, the film lacks a strong point of view or reason to exist and just meanders through lots of stuff we already know.

DavidSeven
10-20-2008, 05:30 PM
When did Stone's dick go so limp?

. . . .

Stone's great films provoked because they felt like investigations that were not content with conventional wisdom, films that hoped to uncover something more. This film is content to recycle events and exchanges familiar to anyone who has consistently read the paper over the past few years and then attribute all of it to a simplistic psychological need for the younger Bush to please his father.

This pretty much describes the exact concerns that I had and voiced prior to release. I'll see it because I feel compelled to, but my expections are very low.

Spinal
10-20-2008, 05:31 PM
This pretty much describes the exact concerns that I had and voiced prior to release.

Yeah, I confess that the trailer had me fooled. Nice job, trailer-making guys.

number8
10-20-2008, 05:34 PM
And it must be said .... Thandie Newton is HORRIBLE. Laughably bad.

So that was bad laughter? :(

My entire theater, including me, were cracking up whenever she opened her mouth. I thought it was a good thing.

trotchky
10-20-2008, 05:42 PM
This has been my most anticipated movie for some time. Really looking forward to seeing it this afternoon.

Spinal
10-20-2008, 05:54 PM
So that was bad laughter? :(

My entire theater, including me, were cracking up whenever she opened her mouth. I thought it was a good thing.

So Condi becomes the comic relief character? I'm not really sure how that serves the movie. My impression was that it was miscalculated and out of step with the rest of the ensemble.

However, I wholeheartedly agree with this part of your review:

W. would have struck more of a chord had it been more playful with history and include more symbolic vignettes.

The ranch scene that you cite is one of the more successful scenes in the film I think, and even that one is too timid. Maybe Stone's tired of going gonzo, but I can't say that I get too excited by what he has become.

Ezee E
10-20-2008, 06:07 PM
I wonder if Stone will go back and do his Vietnam movie that sounded a whole like the DePalma one.

number8
10-20-2008, 06:18 PM
So Condi becomes the comic relief character? I'm not really sure how that serves the movie. My impression was that it was miscalculated and out of step with the rest of the ensemble.

You're probably right, but it was funny to me and it didn't really bother me any more than Dreyfuss' hilarious side-scowl or Brolin's exaggerated shoulder movements.

The ranch scene that you cite is one of the more successful scenes in the film I think, and even that one is too timid. Maybe Stone's tired of going gonzo, but I can't say that I get too excited by what he has become.

I think he's pissed of all the liberal stigma that comes with an "Oliver Stone film" and he's been trying to prove the opposite (first WTC, now this). I don't really care either way. It's not great or of any political use, but it was entertaining enough to watch. Then again, I'm like, the only person who thinks Any Given Sunday might be his best film.

number8
10-20-2008, 06:20 PM
I wonder if Stone will go back and do his Vietnam movie that sounded a whole like the DePalma one.

Pinkville? That project's 100% dead.

Ezee E
10-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Pinkville? That project's 100% dead.
Bummer.

Ezee E
10-20-2008, 06:35 PM
You're probably right, but it was funny to me and it didn't really bother me any more than Dreyfuss' hilarious side-scowl or Brolin's exaggerated shoulder movements.

I think he's pissed of all the liberal stigma that comes with an "Oliver Stone film" and he's been trying to prove the opposite (first WTC, now this). I don't really care either way. It's not great or of any political use, but it was entertaining enough to watch. Then again, I'm like, the only person who thinks Any Given Sunday might be his best film.
Well, at least you didn't say Alexander... Then you'd be batshit crazy.

Watashi
10-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Am I the only one who is glad that the film isn't overly political? I think Stone knew that any American can turn on the news and see what a buffoon Bush is, so I didn't need to see Stone aggressively challenge Bush's decisions in the last 8 years.

Spinal
10-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Am I the only one who is glad that the film isn't overly political? I think Stone knew that any America can turn on the news and see what a buffoon Bush is, so I didn't need to see Stone aggressively challenge Bush's decisions in the last 8 years.

That's why I said the focus should not be on questioning Bush -- most Americans now agree that he was a disaster -- but on the factors, people and processes that allowed Bush to happen. Twice. That's the stuff that needs to be addressed, because that's what could be repeated in the future. As soon as next month.

I don't see the point of a Bush film that isn't political. That doesn't interest me at all.

Duncan
10-20-2008, 08:57 PM
That's why I said the focus should not be on questioning Bush -- most Americans now agree that he was a disaster -- but on the factors, people and processes that allowed Bush to happen. Twice. That's the stuff that needs to be addressed, because that's what could be repeated in the future. As soon as next month.

1) This movie sounds more interesting than W. sounds.
2) It makes zero money because the onus falls so heavily on the audience. People don't like to be told it's their own fault.

trotchky
10-20-2008, 10:53 PM

I don't see the point of a Bush film that isn't political. That doesn't interest me at all.

How doesn't the movie do this? The film ties Bush's rise to power to dominant Western myths--of manifest destiny, the frontier, and ultimately the American Dream--and then shows how those myths are exploited, hollowed out, rendered meaningless by the media and the American elite. There's something weirdly perverse about Bush's tale, in the detailing of a "rise to power" of a reluctant mediocrity who was already powerful, born powerful, and has to navigate (seemingly blindly--Oliver Stone's W. is a perpetual outsider) a social stratum where the rules, safety nets, and conventions are so warped and weirdly placed his cluelessness and frustration becomes not only relateable but the entry point for the viewer. I think there's something to be found there about the "lie" of the American dream and the invisible tyranny of the privileged elite.

If the film's proceedings feel hollow and weightless, well, they kind of are, but that's the point--with most of the expository scenes pitched somewhere between contemporary sitcom and '50s melodrama the inevitable onset of the second Iraq war is jarring; seeing Brolin's Bush stand over an actor playing a badly fucked-up soldier can only cause a massive case of cognitive dissonance.

The film appropriately quotes American Psycho at one point (the Cheney character telling Powell "There is no exit.") and, I think, channels the same sense of humor in its detailing of elite wantonness and self-absorption, albeit much more subtly. More importantly though the film's ultimate thesis is the same: catharsis and resolution cannot be provided within the movie, because, I mean, look around. This actually happened. The sense of realism is constantly present and Stone is very careful never to push too far or go too over the top, because the absurd reality stands on its own. He does attempt to put Bush's legacy within a certain context, within a certain framework, and hints at the multitude of interweaving factors that allowed this to happen, but he doesn't spoon-feed his audience or provide easy solutions. The senselessness of it all is the point, here, I think.

The only real criticism I have of the movie is it should have been longer. Much longer, although I can understand why Oliver Stone went with this cut.

Spinal
10-20-2008, 11:02 PM
The film ties Bush's rise to power to dominant Western myths--of manifest destiny, the frontier, and ultimately the American Dream--and then shows how those myths are exploited, hollowed out, rendered meaningless by the media and the American elite.

I don't think the film does this. I think you did this.

number8
10-20-2008, 11:11 PM
I don't know why I suddenly thought of this, but here's a quote by lovable ol' Quentin Tarantino:

When Oliver Stone does his movies, he has a big idea he wants to get across, and he wants everyone to leave the theater with that idea. They can reject the idea, but they'd better get it or he'll think he didn't do his job. I want to do a whole lot of work for you, but I want to leave 10, maybe even 20 percent for you to imagine so the movie is really yours. You have a version. Stuff that's open for interpretation, I want your interpretation. The minute I tell you what I think, you'll throw away whatever you've come up with in your head. You can't help it. I would too. You'd feel like a fool.