PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Picks for the Best NEW Fall 2012 TV Shows?

Irish
10-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Consider this something of a recommendation thread for everybody.

I've only seen three shows that have sparked my continued interest:

Elementary - It's a little bit too procedural and I think it will struggle against anyone familiar with (and subsequently in love with) the British Sherlock. But I like the angle they've taken with the character, and I like the way they're slowly developing him as less an autistic freak and more of a flawed human being. Johnny Lee Miller is surprisingly engaging as the lead, and I think Lucy Liu might knock her role out of the park if the writers allow it. She had a helluva strong turn in a supporting role in the recent season of Southland.

Vegas - The big draws here are Dennis Quaid on weekly TV and Michael Chiklis returning to air. This doesn't have the carefully modulated tone and performances of something like Mad Men. In fact it's something of a period piece in costume only; the actors sound too a bit too modern in their speech and movements. Still, the show is well paced and well plotted, with continuing subplots that don't stick out like sore thumbs (Quaid isn't a wronged man looking for revenge on the person who killed his parents, and Chiklis isn't harboring a deep dark secret and tragic flaw). It's biggest weakness is that it will struggle against other familiar, modern-western style shows like Justified and Longmire.

Nashville My god this show looks great. The first episode played like a 43 minute movie. And it's got Connie Britton in the lead, to boot. The content leans heavily towards soap opera, though. Not as much as something like Revenge, but enough to make it feel a lot like a modern day Dallas or Falcon Crest. Powers Boothe is Powers Boothe and spend most of his time twirling an imaginary mustache and dreaming of tying Britton to some train tracks. The makes the most of Hayden the Cheerleader's obvious assets and after one shot, I'm unsure if she's a strong enough performer to really carry the role she's being given as a flawed, mean-spirited up-and-coming superstar songstress.

And you? TV Guide has an overview is you can't remember all the new shows:

http://www.tvguide.com/special/fall-preview/newshows.aspx

What are your picks?

Winston*
10-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Man, nothing on that list interests me. Watched the first episodes of Animal Practice and Go On, but don't think I'll continue (despite the presence of comedic genius Brett Gelman in the latter)

EvilShoe
10-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Haven't started with any of the new shows.

The only ones that appeal to me somewhat are Animal Practice (because of Kirk), Go On (Perry & Gelman), Last Resort (Braugher & Shawn Ryan) and Vegas (Quaid & Chiklis).

Anyway, I've been checking the reviews on these. Animal Practice and Go On are supposed to be quite bland, Last Resort probably won't even get a full season, and Vegas is apparently a procedural.

I'm already watching too much television, so I think I'll just see where these are at once they've wrapped up their seasons.

Mara
10-14-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm legitimately enjoying The Mindy Project.

Other than that, everything I've tuned in for is more or less mediocre. Still planning on catching up on Last Resort.

EyesWideOpen
10-14-2012, 01:22 PM
The New Normal and The Mindy Project are the two I watch that I think are great.

Mr. McGibblets
10-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I watched every single one of the comedy pilots and Mindy Project is the only one that's even decent. I don't really like watching serials until I know that they won't get cancelled (though I unfortunately tried Revolution), but if they stick around I think Last Resort and Nashville look the most interesting.

EyesWideOpen
10-14-2012, 01:38 PM
I've watched the first few episodes of Animal Practice since I like animal actors and enjoy the monkey but the show is terrible.

Lucky
10-14-2012, 02:02 PM
I'll echo The Mindy Project as it's the only new show I'm still watching.

MadMan
10-15-2012, 06:14 AM
I don't care about any of the new shows. I just want Community back, goddamnit.

Acapelli
10-15-2012, 03:26 PM
the only new shows i've picked up this year are the mindy project, vegas and last resort

Ivan Drago
10-16-2012, 03:38 AM
I started Chicago Fire and Nashville because I have friends who work as PAs on both shows. I liked them both quite a bit.

I just want Community back, goddamnit.

But, yeah, this.