PDA

View Full Version : The Coffee Thread

megladon8
01-20-2008, 03:14 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/megladon8/coffeecard.jpg

I didn't used to like coffee - I just drank it in the morning out of necessity - until about 2 months ago when I discovered how to prepare it so it tastes absolutely divine.

I like my coffee very strong - I set the percolator to the darkest setting, and use one scoop of grounds for every cup I'm making. I usually make 4 cups, so I use 4 scoops.

When it's ready, I put my milk in the microwave until it boils - that way it doesn't cool the coffee down when I pour it in, since cold coffee is nasty. This is a trick I learned from Jen :)

Then I put about 3 1/2 - 4 teaspoons of sugar in my cup of coffee. Not enough to turn it into a cup of candy, but enough to make it nice and sweet.

There's not much more heavenly than a perfect cup of coffee.

How does everyone else take their coffee? Any special preparation rituals? Any favorite brands?

bac0n
01-20-2008, 03:40 AM
I'm lucky in that there's a fellow, Hakkan, who runs a dandy of a coffee house five blocks down the road. He roasts his own beans on premises. I've been buying my beans from him and no-one else since I moved into the neighborhood over four years ago. Hakkan knows my entire family. Ya gotta love little stores like that.

Anyway, he makes a Turkish roast that's amazing - perfectly balanced, very rich, bold, and at the same time, with a clean, smooth finish with not even the slightest hint of bitterness. It's so good that putting anything in it is kinda like putting A1 on steak. And best of all, whenever I go in there to buy more, and if there are any beans on the cooling table, he'll give me those.

Wryan
01-20-2008, 03:41 AM
My contribution to this thread...

COFFEE TASTES LIKE WET GYM SOCKS SMELL.

Mull at your leisure, perhaps over a cup of coffee.

megladon8
01-20-2008, 03:57 AM
I'm lucky in that there's a fellow, Hakkan, who runs a dandy of a coffee house five blocks down the road. He roasts his own beans on premises. I've been buying my beans from him and no-one else since I moved into the neighborhood over four years ago. Hakkan knows my entire family. Ya gotta love little stores like that.

Anyway, he makes a Turkish roast that's amazing - perfectly balanced, very rich, bold, and at the same time, with a clean, smooth finish with not even the slightest hint of bitterness. It's so good that putting anything in it is kinda like putting A1 on steak. And best of all, whenever I go in there to buy more, and if there are any beans on the cooling table, he'll give me those.

That sounds divine.

There aren't any shops like that in Ottawa, to my knowledge. All the coffee shops are chains, like Tim Hortons or Starbucks.

However, almost every time I go to a movie with my friend Andrew - such as last night when we saw Cloverfield - we go to this place called Zavida, which specializes in products bought via free trade.

They make great, strong coffee.

I would love to get a coffee grinder and some fresh beans, but my problem is that I really had no idea how to judge the quality of the beans. Are there signs to look for that beans are stale/no good?

MadMan
01-20-2008, 04:01 AM
Coffee smells good, but I think its nasty. Give me a nice cup of orange juice with some pulp in the morning instead.

jenniferofthejungle
01-20-2008, 04:06 AM
I don't really go around smelling wet gym socks so I don't have anything to add on that subject, but I do love a hot, strong cup of coffee, preferably Colombian.

I don't have any special routine, but I find I have to add a little bit more coffee, no matter how "perfect" I think it is. 6 cups of water? 3 heaping scoops of coffee and an extra dash or two, just for luck. :lol:

Winston*
01-20-2008, 04:07 AM
I don't like my coffee sweet, no sugar for me. Definitely no milk.

Boner M
01-20-2008, 04:20 AM
As mentioned in the 'what are you eating' thread, I'm an iced coffee addict. Especially this new kind:

http://www.dairyfarmers.com.au/df/files/products/range_image_large/dairy-p1-dare-award.jpg

Milky Joe
01-20-2008, 04:24 AM
My contribution to this thread...

COFFEE TASTES LIKE WET GYM SOCKS SMELL.

Mull at your leisure, perhaps over a cup of coffee.

that's like, the opposite of what is. I strongly recommend you reconsider. coffee is the nectar of the gods.

Ezee E
01-20-2008, 04:43 AM
Coffee is a great smell to wake up to, but I don't really care for its taste.

However, it does smell deathly when thrown in the trash.

Wryan
01-20-2008, 04:44 AM
that's like, the opposite of what is. I strongly recommend you reconsider. coffee is the nectar of the gods.

I've tasted many a cup, from awful cheap shit to high quality. Nothing can deter me!

I do, however, agree that the smell is quite luxurious.

jenniferofthejungle
01-20-2008, 05:26 AM
I have to add that I don't drink coffee for the caffeine kick. I can drink it just before bed and sleep easily. I just love the taste.

I have only had one iced coffee in my life (from Tim Horton's) and it was really delicious, but I haven't had any others.

Flavored coffees make me gag. I cannot stand that smell. It's often driven me out of Barnes and Nobles stores.

D_Davis
01-20-2008, 05:34 AM
I just finished off a pot a few minutes ago.

I love coffee like I like my women: ground up and in the freezer.

My wife bought me a killer espresso machine for Christmas this year. It's awesome. The instruction manual was first in Italian, then in French, and finally in English. It must be good!

:)

SpaceOddity
01-20-2008, 07:14 AM
I wanna resurrect The Women's Petition Against Coffee of 1674.
They complained the men's consumption was detrimental to their sex lives.
The King responded by closing all the coffee houses. :D

"they are become as Impotent as Age"

*giggles*

Sycophant
01-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Coffee is an integral part of every day. I used to drink about ten to sixteen cups (literal, 8 oz. cups that is) a day, but have cut down to five to eight (though I drink some black tea now to compensate a little). It's the best stuff in the world. I don't think there's anything I like more than coffee, even the cheap Folgers stuff I buy (the new Black Silk roast is divine).

I make it strong. For five eight ounce cups, I put four heaping spoonfuls into my coffee maker. No cream, no milk, no sugar. Dark, black, and full-bodied. Love it.

shaun
01-20-2008, 02:44 PM
No cream, no milk, no sugar. Dark, black, and full-bodied. Love it.Like I like my women... bitter and murky.

Same deal with tea. I put nothing in that either.

Gizmo
01-20-2008, 04:24 PM
does: "as expresso flavored" count as a way I like my coffee? Don't get me wrong, I do drink it "normal" with sugar on occasion, but really enjoy cappacino, mocha, latte... much much more.

Benny Profane
01-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Some things I like:

Beer, football, sex, steak...and coffee.

DSNT
01-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Coffee is the nectar of the gods.

We have an espresso maker and order the Seattle's Best pods over the internet, or use Starbucks pods if we run out. I will either froth or microwave soy milk, add a little vanilla, chocolate, nutmeg or cinammon seasoning, or occasionally a little bit of Baileys. Starts the day out right!

Wryan
01-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Coffee is the nectar of the gods.

I will either froth or microwave soy milk, add a little vanilla, chocolate, nutmeg or cinammon seasoning, or occasionally a little bit of Baileys. Starts the day out right!

Is it really coffee anymore though?

And ambrosia is the nectar of the gods. :D

megladon8
01-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Even though I love the taste of coffee, few things in the world give me worse heartburn.

About an hour after drinking a cup, I need to take 5 more more Rolaids to get any relief.

Raiders
06-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Just started drinking coffee everyday after years of avoiding the stuff since I found I rather liked the taste and could use the caffeine (as opposed to drinking soda). Now, my stomach is in the pits. I have acid reflux and many other unpleasant symptoms.

Consider me in the coffee = evil crowd.

megladon8
06-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Sorry, Raiders.

I have sore stomachs all the time anyways, so I doubt coffee makes it any worse. Just having a glass of water gives me heartburn.

Last night I had a cup of espresso and I couldn't sleep 'til 5am.

KK2.0
06-04-2008, 07:36 AM
As a Brazilian i do love my coffee, Starbucks invaded our country recently and they'll have a hard time pushing their beverage here, no one seems impressed by it. All these mixtures, mochas and all, were never too popular.

Sycophant
06-04-2008, 07:49 AM
I hear they've got an awful lot of coffee in Brazil.

It's a shame that I grew up on the Big Island of Hawaii and never have had real Kona coffee. I need to fix that one day.

Kurosawa Fan
06-04-2008, 01:03 PM
I hear that in Columbia, coffee is delivered right to your bedroom window by a happy, mustachioed gentleman in a sombrero who rides around on a fine looking burro, his sole companion in life.

Sycophant
06-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I hear that in Columbia, coffee is delivered right to your bedroom window by a happy, mustachioed gentleman in a sombrero who rides around on a fine looking burro, his sole companion in life.Oh yeah? Well, they put coffee in the coffee in Brazil. They could percolate the ocean in Brazil. And not so many years ago, a politician's daughter was accused of drinking water. She was fined, dude. She was fined a great big fifty dollar bill.

But, sure, that Colombian sombreroed gentleman sounds nice.

Kurosawa Fan
06-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Oh yeah? Well, they put coffee in the coffee in Brazil. They could percolate the ocean in Brazil. And not so many years ago, a politician's daughter was accused of drinking water. She was fined, dude. She was fined a great big fifty dollar bill.

But, sure, that Colombian sombreroed gentleman sounds nice.

These are the words of a desperate man. Admit defeat before you come off looking worse than you already do.

Sycophant
06-04-2008, 03:38 PM
These are the words of a desperate man. Admit defeat before you come off looking worse than you already do.I'll admit defeat when there's been defeat, thank you very not so much.

Did you know they have coffee ketchup down there? Coffee pickles, too. They waaaaaay outsell the dill.

Kurosawa Fan
06-04-2008, 03:40 PM
I'll admit defeat when there's been defeat, thank you very not so much.

Did you know they have coffee ketchup down there? Coffee pickles, too. They waaaaaay outsell the dill.

I have a guy. On a freakin burro. And he and the burro show up at your bedroom window the moment you wake up with Columbian coffee. Even if your bedroom is on the second floor. He's wearing a freakin sombrero and sports a handle bar mustache.

Game. Over.

Sycophant
06-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I have a guy. On a freakin burro. And he and the burro show up at your bedroom window the moment you wake up with Columbian coffee. Even if your bedroom is on the second floor. He's wearing a freakin sombrero and sports a handle bar mustache.

Game. Over.Uh... they've got those in Brazil too. But it's just so de rigeur over there that they don't really seem to think it's worth mentioning. Sure, it's awesome to our simple minds, but in Brazil, it's just life.

Kurosawa Fan
06-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Uh... they've got those in Brazil too. But it's just so de rigeur over there that they don't really seem to think it's worth mentioning. Sure, it's awesome to our simple minds, but in Brazil, it's just life.

Now you're just lying to look good. Stop this charade at once.

Sycophant
06-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Now you're just lying to look good. Stop this charade at once.
I got an idea. Why don't you stop this charade at once? Hm? Whaddya have to say to that?

Kurosawa Fan
06-04-2008, 08:37 PM
I got an idea. Why don't you stop this charade at once? Hm? Whaddya have to say to that?

:| ....

:crazy:

monolith94
06-05-2008, 01:42 AM
I've actually never had a cup of coffee.

Sycophant
06-05-2008, 01:51 AM
I've actually never had a cup of coffee.Go to Brazil some time. You'll have no choice. Youll see no tomato juice, potato juice. Why? The planters down in Santos all say no, no, no.

In fact, girls make their perfume on the grill. They smell just like percolaters! Just walking down the street is like drinking a cup! An entire mustachioed servant class of citizens on burros delivers coffee to people every morning, whether they want coffee or not.

DavidSeven
06-05-2008, 01:58 AM
I used to drink about ten to sixteen cups (literal, 8 oz. cups that is) a day

Um. Wow.

Sycophant
06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Um. Wow.Before that, I had been drinking even more Coca-Cola daily, so I think it was a change for the better.

I think I'm going to have to increase my coffee dosage again now, though, as the four to six cups a day I'm doing just isn't cutting it anymore. Or I could start sleeping more. This is to say, I think I'm going to have to increase my coffee dosage again now.

If only this was Brazil, where it was more socially acceptable to drink only coffee. I think I'd add to the local color, having my coffee with a cruller. Dunking doesn't take a lot of skill, but whatever.

KK2.0
06-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Are you making fun of me? :lol:

Sycophant
07-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Way down among brazilians
Coffee beans grow by the billions
So theyve got to find those extra cups to fill
Theyve got an awful lot of coffee in brazil

You cant get cherry soda
cause theyve got to fill that quota
And the way things are Ill bet they never will
Theyve got a zillion tons of coffee in brazil

No tea or tomato juice
Youll see no potato juice
The planters down in santos all say no no no

The politicians daughter
Was accused of drinking water
And was fined a great big fifty dollar bill

You date a girl and find out later
She smells just like a percolator
Her perfume was made right on the grill
Why they could percolate the ocean in brazil

And when their ham and eggs need savor
Coffee ketchup gives em flavor
Coffee pickles way outsell the dill
Why they put coffee in the coffee in brazil

So your lead to the local color
Serving coffee with a cruller
Dunking doesnt take a lot of skill

Duncan
07-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Where's that from, Syc?

And I'm up to two pots of coffee per day now. Can't be healthy.

Sycophant
07-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Where's that from, Syc?

Novelty song originally recorded by Frank Sinatra in 1946. Don't believe it's necessarily "from" something.

NickGlass
07-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I love me some coffee, but it has to be hot and black.

Dukefrukem
07-16-2009, 08:07 PM
I like coffee.... medium black every day at DDs

Ezee E
07-17-2009, 02:49 AM
I hear straight, black coffee is actually pretty good for you.

No links or proof. Just rumor.

Derek
07-17-2009, 03:58 AM
I hear straight, black coffee is actually pretty good for you.

No links or proof. Just rumor.

Huh, I've heard it's better for you with half-and-half and 3 raw sugars, but that's just a rumor I've decided to start spreading.

I have it down to one big cup in the morning and I'm good for the day. Fortunately the coffee at work is undrinkable, so there's not much temptation unless I want to walk a few blocks down the street for more.

trotchky
07-17-2009, 04:04 AM
I used to drink coffee and then I started drinking Red Bull and energy drinks because of the warm weather. Those things are fun until you realize you're basically drinking caffeinated piss. I enjoy a good cup of coffee but it's too hot, it's summer, and I don't like iced coffee.

trotchky
07-17-2009, 04:07 AM
I have an appointment for a midnight diner meeting with some associates this weekend, come to think of it, and it should allow for the first opportune moment to drink coffee in a while. Should be good. Maybe I will even smoke a cigarette afterward to help the caffeine metabolize faster.

Spun Lepton
07-17-2009, 04:11 AM
I used to drink coffee and then I started drinking Red Bull and energy drinks because of the warm weather. Those things are fun until you realize you're basically drinking caffeinated piss. I enjoy a good cup of coffee but it's too hot, it's summer, and I don't like iced coffee.

A good cold press is hard to beat.

Grouchy
07-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Brazilian coffee is awesome, but my personal favorite is Colombian - the Juan Valdés.

I drink strong black too. Four or five cups a day while I worked. Now I'm on the lazy a bit less.

NickGlass
07-17-2009, 02:28 PM

Red Bull is battery acid. How anyone can drink that--and enjoy it--is beyond me. Ugh, repulsive liquid crack.

I don't care what the temperature is, I still want hot, black coffee. If it's really hot outside, I'll balance the coffee by ordering a cold beer or glass of water to go along with it.

D_Davis
07-17-2009, 02:37 PM
My favorite normal coffee is McDonald's coffee. It's got a great flavor, and it's the only thing I can consume from that place.

Derek
07-17-2009, 03:19 PM
My favorite normal coffee is McDonald's coffee. It's got a great flavor, and it's the only thing I can consume from that place.

It's surprisingly good and yes, the only thing I'll get there.

I actually prefer the Peruvian coffee I've had to Colombian and Brazilian, but if its South American, chances are it'll be quality.

Spinal
07-17-2009, 04:09 PM
I am tempted to merge this with The Drugs Thread.

bac0n
07-21-2009, 05:27 AM
I'm still working up the balls to, when someone asks me how I like my coffee, respond with a sly black, like my men. It's been a new years resolution for, like, the past 15 years, and each year it goes unresolved. Woe is me.

Milky Joe
07-21-2009, 05:29 AM
That settles it. I'm making some coffee.

Spinal, nice Lenny rating. That movie is excellent.

Spun Lepton
07-23-2009, 09:48 PM
I ran out of filters for my coffeemaker, so today I ran up to a place up the street from me. Got a delicious cup of Ethiopian ... and could not resist one of their half-dipped cookies.

They're coconut, kind of like a flat macaroon, but -- as the name implies -- they're half-dipped in dark chocolate. They are made for dunking, and holy cow are they amazing when dunked in black coffee.

Raiders
12-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Just had my first cup of real Kona coffee. Yum.

lovejuice
12-02-2009, 02:52 PM
tea > coffee.

now feel free to go on discussing whatever mundane topic you are, you philistines.

Kurosawa Fan
12-02-2009, 03:26 PM
tea > coffee.

now feel free to go on discussing whatever mundane topic you are, you philistines.

With you all the way.

Sycophant
12-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I've never had a cup of real Kona coffee. This may have been up to half the reason I wanted to move back to Hawai'i.

Sycophant
12-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Tea's a'ight.

jenniferofthejungle
12-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I usually save tea for when I am feeling sick or am dieting and need a little drink to take the edge off the hunger.

I had a cup of coffee today that was better than any cup I've had in months. I even took the cup with me when I went out to get my laundry. :pritch:

I could have coffee before bedtime and it would not keep me up.

Derek
12-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Real Kona coffee is devine, but so, so expensive. It's worth it, though even the 10% Kona's I've tried are noticeably better.

I have no beef with tea. I usually get a sore throat a few times a year and always get my fill of it during those stretches. Never get sick of coffee though.

jenniferofthejungle
12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I ran out of filters for my coffeemaker, so today I ran up to a place up the street from me. Got a delicious cup of Ethiopian ... and could not resist one of their half-dipped cookies.

They're coconut, kind of like a flat macaroon, but -- as the name implies -- they're half-dipped in dark chocolate. They are made for dunking, and holy cow are they amazing when dunked in black coffee.

When I run out of filters I use a good paper towel. Works every time and no innocent pads have to die for my cup. :|