PDA

View Full Version : My ten favorite songs

EyesWideOpen
09-16-2012, 04:39 AM
As far as musical tastes go I'm definitely nowhere near as cool as the majority of you but I do think I have an eclectic mix of music that I like. So I figured I'd share my ten favorite songs. To make it more interesting I limited myself to one song per artist (so I didn't just have mostly Beatles songs). On to the songs...

EyesWideOpen
09-16-2012, 05:08 AM
10. "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" by Weezer

aPZCGleqh7M

I got in on the ground floor with Weezer. I remember seeing the video for "Undone - The Sweater Song" in high school and they've been one of my favorite bands ever since. I'm one of the few who didn't jump off after "The Green Album" and I've liked every album they've done. "Maladroit" and "Make Believe" are both incredibly underrated. "The Red Album" which is the album "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" is on is near the bottom of my list of favorite Weezer albums but it contains my favorite Weezer song. It's one almost six minute song that is basically a collage of all the different Weezer sounds. The song changes and sounds different after almost every minute. We get the "rapping" Rivers from his more recent stuff, we get the falsetto, the Blue Album era sound and it all fits together perfectly.

EyesWideOpen
09-16-2012, 03:00 PM
9. "Regulate" by Warren G and Nate Dogg

uXNvHNOD-ZY

This is one of those songs that will never go away. It came out in 1994 on the "Above the Rim" soundtrack and it still feels fresh today. Everything about this song is classic, from the "mount up" opening, to basically introducing us to Nate Dogg's "singing rapping" and how well used he can be on a song, to Warren G showing vulnerability which wasn't really shown in most gangsta rap at the time. It's a shame that they never released an album as a duo because they fit well together. Nate Dogg would go on to basically be a hook guy for other rappers and Warren G pretty much disappeared after his first album but they'll always have "Regulate".

amberlita
09-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Oh my gosh. I was just talking to my old best friend during high school yesterday, reminiscing, and she said she was cleaning out her garage and found her old Above The Rim soundtrack we listened to constantly.

EyesWideOpen
09-17-2012, 11:04 PM
8. "Close to Me" by The Cure

ArUKwUHzH-Q

I started listening to The Cure really late in life. I don't think I even heard them until my early 20's and I still only own one of their albums and their greatest hits (Galore) album. I also can't even remember how I first heard this song or if someone introduced me to it but I love it all the same.

EyesWideOpen
09-19-2012, 02:22 AM
7. "I Wish" by Skee-Lo

Zyf0YwUJcqk

This song makes me happy. As soon as I hear that opening I get a smile on my face. At the time this song came out I was pretty deep in to Death Row and Wu-Tang stuff (both pretty heavily steeped in bravado) so to hear a rapper talking about about how uncool he is was incredible to me. He was far more relatable to me then Snoop Dogg or Method Man. It also after almost twenty years still holds up. The themes of wanting to be cooler never go away. "I Wish" is in my opinion the top one hit wonder song.

EyesWideOpen
09-19-2012, 10:54 PM
6. "Elephant Love Medley" by Ewan McGregor & Nicole Kidman

7Mlig-z9OJg

I love Moulin Rouge (smashing together all the best love songs it's like it was made for me) and I love the soundtrack. I am not ashamed of this.

Lucky
09-20-2012, 02:21 AM
Man, I dig Moulin Rouge, too, but that wouldn't even crack my top 3 numbers from that movie. The kiss at the end is classic though.

"Regulate" is a quality piece of nostalgia for sure. I still know every word and it's a blast when someone plays it on a jukebox.

EyesWideOpen
09-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Man, I dig Moulin Rouge, too, but that wouldn't even crack my top 3 numbers from that movie. The kiss at the end is classic though.

"Regulate" is a quality piece of nostalgia for sure. I still know every word and it's a blast when someone plays it on a jukebox.

There are a ton of Moulin Rouge songs that are pretty neck in neck as my favorite. I went with Elephant Love Medley over another because it's too similar to another song on my list.

Dukefrukem
09-20-2012, 02:43 PM
This is a great thread. It's hard for me to choose top 10 songs ever. I'm not sure I could do it.

Dukefrukem
09-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Regulate was our soccer warm up song in high school and college. If I had to seriously consider a top 10 ever list, it would definitely be on it.

EyesWideOpen
09-21-2012, 01:22 AM
5. "Mr. Jones" by Counting Crows

-oqAU5VxFWs

I still listen to "August and Everything After" all the way through occasionally hoping that I'll connect to it as a whole as much as I do to "Mr. Jones" but it is not to be. But man what a great song. I'll sometime just listen to it like 3-4 times in a row. I remember loving the video back when it came out and it didn't (and still doesn't) sound like any other type of music I listen to.

Dukefrukem
09-21-2012, 12:37 PM
It's impressive you're not annoyed with that song by now.

EyesWideOpen
09-23-2012, 08:12 PM
4. "Your Song" by Elton John

RwzdVHTNpXs

Elton John is one of those artists where you will see 20 different songs someone can pick as their favorite and they are all equally valid.

EyesWideOpen
09-25-2012, 11:03 PM
3. "Triumph" by The Wu-Tang Clan

yhSDRmG9dMA

This song perfectly showcases how awesome the Wu is. A great beat and all the members getting their chance to shine. No chorus nonsense just them killing it.

I love '90s hip-hop songs with dated NBA references ("make em jump like Rod Strickland"). :P

Fun fact: Brett Ratner directed the music video.

Gizmo
09-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Jumping in late, but "August and Everything After" is still one of my all time favorite albums, though Mr. Jones is one of my least favorite songs off of it.

EyesWideOpen
09-27-2012, 11:40 PM
2. "I Saw Her Standing There" by The Beatles

RxMlmZqcoN4

I wasn't introduced to The Beatles music until meeting my wife which was only like 8 years ago. Previously to that I couldn't name you one Beatles song except for "Free as a Bird" off the Anthology album which I only knew because they played the video on MTV when I was in high school. I knew basically nothing about them and never knew anybody who listened to their music so when I first met my now wife who has been a Beatles fanatic since she was like 12 it was an eye opening experience. I got hooked pretty quickly. I listened to all the albums she had, I watched all the movies, and then I bought the Anthology dvdset and loved it. When they released the music boxset of all the albums a few years ago I bought it and have listened to a Beatles album every single week or so since. If I was making a top 100 songs list and I didn't give myself any artist restrictions I would probably have 30 or 40 Beatles songs on it.

So after getting all that out of the way. "I Saw Her Standing There" is my favorite Beatles song. Most people prefer the later period of the Beatles but my favorite is the first few albums along with the early singles that were collected on the Past Masters albums. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of all their stuff but the early period I like the most. There is nothing better then screaming along to this song at the top of my lungs on Beatles Rockband.

romantisaurusrex
09-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Really down with some of your picks (Wu-Tang and The Cure), but for me The Beatles, Counting Crows, and Moulin Rouge count as guilty pleasure songs, not top 10 songs.

Think I might do a competing thread :twisted:

Lucky
09-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Do you mean all Beatles' songs, or that particular one?

romantisaurusrex
09-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Do you mean all Beatles' songs, or that particular one?

I meant that particular one but now that you mention it...yeah, kinda all Beatles songs..

EyesWideOpen
09-28-2012, 09:42 PM
I meant that particular one but now that you mention it...yeah, kinda all Beatles songs..

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Dead & Messed Up
09-29-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm curious as to what number one will be. That Weezer song is much more interesting than their recent radio output.

Also, I'm a big fan of Beatles' early stuff too. Please Please Me rocks all over the place.

EyesWideOpen
09-29-2012, 09:20 PM
1. "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

fJ9rUzIMcZQ

This is another song I didn't "get" until later in life. Waynes World was the first time I heard it and then I remember liking The Braids cover that was on the High School High soundtrack but I didn't know or hear anything by Queen (except for We Will Rock You & We are the Champions both songs I don't like) until the first Guitar Hero game. That introduced me to "Killer Queen" another one of my now favorite songs which eventually led me to realize Queen was more then a couple songs that were played during sporting events. "Bohemian Rhapsody" is such an epic song. It gives me the same feeling #10 on my list gives me. It's long and feels like 6 songs in one. I still have a weird relationship with Queen. There are like 10 songs of theirs that I love but pretty much everything else I don't care for.

D_Davis
10-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Mad props for Skee-Lo, one of pop hip hop's best tunes.

romantisaurusrex
10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Jumping in late, but "August and Everything After" is still one of my all time favorite albums, though Mr. Jones is one of my least favorite songs off of it.

Anna Begins is is as good as 90's radio rock gets.