PDA

View Full Version : Celeb (and Celeb SO's) Obit Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Grouchy
04-05-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm thinking of just downloading everything I haven't seen from his Great Movies list.

Ivan Drago
04-06-2013, 05:57 AM
RogerEbert.com editor Jim Emerson said in his blog that there were still one Ebert review to be published and it's for Terrance Malick's To the Wonder.

That just feels right.

Sxottlan
04-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Like many, Roger Ebert's online presence was a big part of what turned me into a film fanatic, the other being my old college roommate. The internet came to my college in 1996 and it seems almost immediately I found his page. It was in early 1998 when I read his review for Dark City and was impressed by how much this big-time critic loved this bizarro film. Intrigued, I went that night and saw it and felt like he helped me make a great discovery.

His reviews made me want to be a film critic. He inspired me to start writing reviews of Star Trek episodes soon after. I even started up a review site on Geocities called "Starfleet Intelligence" and posted them there. It got pretty extensive before I switched up to movies. The first review I wrote was for The Sixth Sense and took it to the college newspaper. The editor loved it so much I was able to write the reviews for the paper for the fall of 1999, which was a pretty great time to write about movies. I continued writing for a college paper for another two years after that.

Some time later Rotten Tomatoes held some online chat with Ebert. I sent him a question about what it would take to become a newspaper film critic and while he was encouraging, he sort of let me down gently, saying being a film critic only for a newspaper was a dying breed. He was right. My local paper's film critic had retirement forced on him and the paper went to wire reviews. With newspapers scaling back, it really felt like there was no real chance of it happening.

When I graduated I went into local television news. Ebert came to town for an award from the Eastman House and for a screening of 3 Women. I went over to the museum to buy tickets and ran into one of our reporters and a photog who were going to a press conference with Ebert. I tagged along to the presser and there he was. After the Q&A, I sucked it up and went right up to him and introduced myself. This was 2006 and I really don't remember much of our exchange now, but I do recall being absolutely blown away at the fact that he remembered me. He recognized my username.

I came back the next night for the screening and all I had for him to sign was my DVD case for Dark City. Still have it.

Pretty soon afterwards he got real sick. I admit that I didn't read his reviews as much lately, but he was pretty much the influence on me to start writing on my own. I feel like I'm getting rusty in that regard. I should probably take it up again.

Thank you Roger. Happy trails.

MadMan
04-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Honestly with Roger Ebert gone I don't know if I'll ever bother reading regular film critics again. You folks are good enough for me, and you don't suck like some of the terrible reviews on RT.

PS: In fact most of you could do it for a living, and I know that some of you could do it for a living. Really though I quit subscribing to Newsweek so I don't read David Ansen's reviews anymore, and Richard Schickel started annoying me ages ago. Ebert was better than both of those guys and now he's gone. Its just....message boards might have killed off old school movie reviewing, for better or for worse. Well considering how awesome Match-cut is I'll lean towards the better, for now.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
04-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Spanish filmmaker Bigas Lunas died.

Russ
04-06-2013, 04:19 PM
* suppresses urge to make a Life of Brian joke *

[ETM]
04-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Yeah, that extra "S" at the end makes all the difference.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
04-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Honestly its hard for me to acknowledge anything except the the news that died. I haven't seen a single one of his films.

Morris Schæffer
04-07-2013, 07:44 AM
He launched Cruz and Bardem for one thing.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
04-07-2013, 06:58 PM
another awful one: Les Blank.

A titan of personal documentary work.

I have seen 25 of his films and they its rare that any stand out in memory, besides Burden of Dreams, but they all form a cohesive portrait of his interests - music, cooking, dance, Lousiana culture.

some favorites: Cigarette Blues, The Blues According to Lightning Hopkins, Running Around Like a Chicken With Its Head Cut Off, Always For Pleasure, Burden of Dreams, Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe, Gap Toothed Women

Russ
04-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Awful news. RIP.

KJ, here's another Blank short I'd recommend: God Respects Us When We Work, But Loves Us When We Dance

Kurious Jorge v3.1
04-07-2013, 07:46 PM
KJ, here's another Blank short I'd recommend: God Respects Us When We Work, But Loves Us When We Dance

I have seen that although I can't remember it very well. I think I liked it. There really is no bad Les Blank out there, the most bland may be the short document on processing chicken meat called "Real Chicken" because it lacks his personal touch - just a standard industrial short basically.

Russ
04-07-2013, 08:29 PM
I have seen that although I can't remember it very well. I think I liked it.

I dug up one of my old capsules, maybe it will jar your memory:

Directed by: Les Blank
Starring: damn dirty hippies

Early Blank short that documents one of the first "love-in's" and seemingly captures the birth of a spontaneous movement, replete with all the energy and creativity of Los Angeles circa 1967. Blank makes his camera one with the crowd as it careens effortlessly from eye-piercing closeups to swirling, constanly moving shots as if it aims to be more than just an observer, but indeed part of the joyous celebration. Attendees include members of the Hell's Angels and young kids having easter egg hunts and, at a scant 20 minutes, this short never overstays its welcome. Some outdated camera tricks bring the grade down a tad, but there's a wealth of rare footage that documents one of the most magical times in our country's history. Recommended.

Fezzik
04-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Margaret Thatcher has died following a stroke :(

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/08/world/europe/uk-margaret-thatcher-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

B-side
04-08-2013, 12:46 PM
And with it will come a deluge of praise she didn't earn.

Robby P
04-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Can't say I'll shed any tears over this one.

Grouchy
04-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Yeah, it's hard enough to try and not be happy.

number8
04-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Any genuine reaction I can think of would be cruel at this moment.

number8
04-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Wetboro Baptist Church picketed Ebert's funeral this morning.

bac0n
04-08-2013, 04:33 PM
You know you've lived a good life if the WBC pickets your funeral.

Llopin
04-08-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm a bit late to the party, but I just heard about Ebert and felt like I should come and pay my respects.

When I was eight years old my father bought this software program called Cinemania '96, a so-called "interactive movie guide", a primitive version of Imdb, so to say. I spent hours and hours browsing through this application, which happened to have stills, sounds and video clips (which back then I found amazing) - and of course reading some of Roger Ebert's reviews, which were heavily featured (same as Maltin's). So when I look back to where it all started (my interest on film, that is), I can say for sure he was one of the "driving forces". Not to mention it was one of the first times I was forced to read and understand english (my learning of which will always be heavily tied to movies and videogames).

A salty salute to the man.

Mara
04-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Annette Funicello, 70.

I went through this weird thing one summer where I watched Back to the Beach about twenty times. I was probably 11 and thought it was hilarious. I remember Annette being completely adorable.

MadMan
04-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Annette Funicello, 70.

I went through this weird thing one summer where I watched Back to the Beach about twenty times. I was probably 11 and thought it was hilarious. I remember Annette being completely adorable.I'm sad about her passing.

As for Thatcher, well.....my thoughts probably shouldn't be posted either. Ugh.

You know you've lived a good live if the WBC pickets your funeral. Yep.

Winston*
04-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Margaret Thatcher has died following a stroke :(

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/08/world/europe/uk-margaret-thatcher-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Curious why this news makes you, as an American, sad? Unless you have that reaction to hearing about the death of anyone, no matter how unpleasant.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
04-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Ken Loach on Margaret Thatcher: "How should we honour her? Let’s privatise her funeral. Put it out to competitive tender and accept the cheapest bid. It’s what she would have wanted.”

Robby P
04-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Curious why this news makes you, as an American, sad? Unless you have that reaction to hearing about the death of anyone, no matter how unpleasant.

It seems that many Americans are genuinely surprised by the amount of vitriol Thatcher has been receiving. I don't think people on this side of the Atlantic fully understand or appreciate the impact her policies had on hundreds of thousands of people.

For my fellow 'Muricans I would compare the reaction to her death to the one that Dick Cheney will eventually receive in this country.

number8
04-09-2013, 12:18 AM
In the words of Elijah Snow in Planetary:

"Jack always said it was difficult for us Americans to understand what it was really like here in the darkest parts of the eighties. We had a doddery old president who talked about the end of the world a little too often and was being run by the wrong people. But they had a prime minister who was genuinely mad."

Winston*
04-09-2013, 01:00 AM
It seems that many Americans are genuinely surprised by the amount of vitriol Thatcher has been receiving. I don't think people on this side of the Atlantic fully understand or appreciate the impact her policies had on hundreds of thousands of people.

For my fellow 'Muricans I would compare the reaction to her death to the one that Dick Cheney will eventually receive in this country.

Maybe Fezzik just hates the working classes.

Grouchy
04-09-2013, 01:21 AM
The new Pope has expressed sadness at the passing of Margaret Tatcher.

Ok, that makes sense.

bac0n
04-09-2013, 04:06 AM

"Jack always said it was difficult for us Americans to understand what it was really like here in the darkest parts of the eighties. We had a doddery old president who talked about the end of the world a little too often and was being run by the wrong people. But they had a prime minister who was genuinely mad."

Further proof that the salt of genius is enshrined in words jailed by bubbles.

bac0n
04-09-2013, 04:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oRTlfFlJ4o8#!

B-side
04-09-2013, 05:10 AM
Ken Loach on Margaret Thatcher: "How should we honour her? Let’s privatise her funeral. Put it out to competitive tender and accept the cheapest bid. It’s what she would have wanted.”

Brilliant.

MadMan
04-09-2013, 06:41 AM

"Jack always said it was difficult for us Americans to understand what it was really like here in the darkest parts of the eighties. We had a doddery old president who talked about the end of the world a little too often and was being run by the wrong people. But they had a prime minister who was genuinely mad."My hate for Thatcher is based in the works of one Greg Palast.

Ken Loach on Margaret Thatcher: "How should we honour her? Let’s privatise her funeral. Put it out to competitive tender and accept the cheapest bid. It’s what she would have wanted.”Hilarious.

Fezzik
04-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Because, despite how she is viewed, she was an icon of my childhood. It's a reminder of my own mortality and the fact that I'm not getting any younger. Gives pause.

B-side
04-10-2013, 11:50 AM
She was, like, 300 years old, though.

Mara
04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oRTlfFlJ4o8#!

Just watched this. Sheesh, the 60's were adorably weird.

Lucky
04-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Reminds me of this music video...minus the girl wearing boobie tassels. Semi NSFW.

http://youtu.be/LRcXqpJ3NRY

Fezzik
04-10-2013, 02:37 PM
She was, like, 300 years old, though.

When you're a kid, do you really contemplate how old someone is? I didn't. I just knew that she was an important figure in the world. Only once I got older did age really matter. So her dying was a bit of a system shock.

number8
04-10-2013, 02:42 PM
I wrote about Thatcher. (http://www.artboiled.com/2013/margaret-thatcher-the-death-of-a-comic-book-muse/)

ContinentalOp
04-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Live Stream of Ebert's memorial: http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and-dash/live-stream-roger-ebert-memorial-tribute

Gamblor
04-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Jonathan Winters

bac0n
04-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Best ad-libber of all time. The world just got a lot less funny.

:sad:

Skitch
04-14-2013, 03:11 AM
Chi Cheng. :sad:

Morris Schæffer
04-15-2013, 05:18 AM
http://www.tampabay.com/news/obituaries/michael-france-screenwriter-and-beach-theatre-owner-dies/2115065

Screenwriter Michael France, who wrote the 1993 action pic Cliffhanger, but also Bond's return in 1995, Goldeneye.

Skitch
04-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Why did no one tell me Pete Postlethwaite died? :sad:

number8
04-16-2013, 06:54 PM
I'm 100% sure it was discussed in this thread 2 years ago when it happened.

shaun
04-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Pat Summerall died.

@SportsDayDFW
Pat Summerall has died, The Dallas Morning News has learned.

Kurosawa Fan
04-16-2013, 08:59 PM
:sad:

I know he was pretty lackluster in his later years, but I really liked the way he called a game in his prime. Along with Keith Jackson, his was the preeminent voice of football as I was growing up with the sport.

Robby P
04-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Loved his minimalist approach. He could go five minutes without saying a word sometimes. Joe Buck can't shut up for five seconds.

Skitch
04-16-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm 100% sure it was discussed in this thread 2 years ago when it happened.

Yeah, but no one told ME.

Ivan Drago
04-17-2013, 03:13 AM
:( RIP. He was one of the best commentators in all of sports. I even liked him more than John Madden. Then again that's probably not an unpopular opinion.

Ezee E
04-17-2013, 04:44 AM
Loved his minimalist approach. He could go five minutes without saying a word sometimes. Joe Buck can't shut up for five seconds.

Five minutes? I doubt that. But I have no remembrance of his approach.

Morris Schæffer
04-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Why did no one tell me Pete Postlethwaite died? :sad:

He did, sadly. Did you know about Ernest Borgnine?

Skitch
04-17-2013, 11:18 AM
He did, sadly. Did you know about Ernest Borgnine?

That one I did. Loved Ernest too.

shaun
04-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Five minutes? I doubt that. But I have no remembrance of his approach.The usual quote is that Summerall didn't even have to use verbs, i.e. "Aikman. Irvin. Touchdowwnnnn."

He had a great voice.

Benny Profane
04-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Drew Magary with a nice tribute to Summerall.

http://deadspin.com/pat-summerall-the-last-of-the-hard-voices-474788254?utm_campaign=socialf low_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_med

D_Davis
04-18-2013, 11:24 PM
http://cdn.americansongwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/wish-you-were-here.jpg

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index.php/news/733-storm-thorgerson-dies-aged-70

dreamdead
04-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Richie Havens. :sad:

Freedom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rynxqdNMry4).

Henry Gale
04-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Richie Havens. :sad:

Freedom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rynxqdNMry4).

Man, some people can go their whole careers not giving a performance even a fraction as incredible or iconic as that, and he did it in his late 20s.

Didn't realize he'd been battling health problems for a while. Sad to see him go.

Spinal
04-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Christina Amphlett (http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/divinyls-singer-christina-amphlett-dead-age-53-070836306.html) of Divinyls deserves some attention here. As one-hit wonders go, theirs was memorable and fun.

bac0n
04-26-2013, 04:11 PM
The world lost one of the greatest vocalists of the 20th Century today.

RIP George "Possum" Jones :cry:

Mara
05-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Chris Kelly, AKA "Mac Daddy" of Kriss Kross, 34.

Sudden, flashbacky memories of 1992. It was a strange time.

Skitch
05-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Why so young? :(

Ivan Drago
05-02-2013, 03:26 PM
RIP. Would it be in bad taste to say his death is wiggity wiggity wack?

Even though it really is. :(

Gizmo
05-02-2013, 03:30 PM
I feel like I can only wear my cloths sideways now, not completely turned around :(

dreamdead
05-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Jeff Hanneman, guitarist of Slayer. Liver failure two years after a spider bite took away any real ability to play.

I'm happy that I got to see the band (minus Lombardo) live back in 2001.

Skitch
05-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Wow that's about the time I saw Slayer too. :(

dreamdead
05-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Wow that's about the time I saw Slayer too. :(

I was still in Ohio at that time and I think the concert was at the Cleveland Odeon, so I wouldn't be surprised if we were both there. The God Hates Us All tour, so that all seems right.

Skitch
05-03-2013, 01:46 AM
I was still in Ohio at that time and I think the concert was at the Cleveland Odeon, so I wouldn't be surprised if we were both there. The God Hates Us All tour, so that all seems right.

I saw them on the previous tour across from the Odean at Nautica! The next tour I saw them in PA with ozzfest. Man seeing them at the Odean wouldve been nuts!

Skitch
05-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Ray Harryhausen. :sad:

Morris Schæffer
05-07-2013, 04:57 PM
RIP FX wizard.

MadMan
05-08-2013, 06:27 AM
Ray Harryhausen. :sad:He was a legend. RIP.

And I'm still sad about George Jones. Not many old school country singers left now.

Gamblor
05-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Bryan Forbes, director of The Stepford Wives, Seance on a Wet Afternoon and the great Whistle Down the Wind, among others.

Gamblor
05-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Ray Manzarek of The Doors

Kurosawa Fan
05-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Never much cared for The Doors, but Manzarek seemed like a cool guy. R.I.P.

shaun
06-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Longtime New Jersey Senator Frank Lautenberg died. Christie will get to appoint his replacement.

Mara
06-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Nobody mentioned Jean Stapleton? She was a classy broad.

Mara
06-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Ooh, Esther Williams. I have a total non-ironic love of Jupiter's Darling, which is really hard to find. She's also just a really interesting person-- she started off as a competitive swimmer and was one of the first actresses to emphasize physical fitness over aesthetics. Also, she did some crazy stunts that popped her ear drums, broke her legs, almost drowned her, etc.

We'll just leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akQiZTlXn0M

Mara
06-06-2013, 06:14 PM
I wanted to double check this one-- she actually broke her neck doing a 115-foot dive that landed her in a body cast for 7 months. The woman was nearly fearless.

But not stupid. In Jupiter's Darling they wanted her to ride a horse off a cliff into the ocean, and she refused. The stunt double who did it instead broke his back.

This is from Jupiter's Darling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GJzjAqU3wY

Gamblor
06-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Iain Banks - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22835047

D_Davis
06-09-2013, 06:32 PM

Wow - he went quick. So weird about the coincidence with his last book.

Irish
06-09-2013, 09:26 PM

Way too young. God, that sucks.

Lazlo
06-19-2013, 11:34 PM
James Gandolfini. Shit.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/r-i-p-james-gandolfini/

Winston*
06-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Oh. Wow. That's horrible.

Scar
06-19-2013, 11:54 PM
*sigh*

ThePlashyBubbler
06-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Really sad.

Ezee E
06-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Jees...

Skitch
06-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Fuck that sucks!

shaun
06-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Damn. He was at all the home Jets games. They'd put him up on the big screens all the time.

MadMan
06-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Great actor. RIP.

EvilShoe
06-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Noo...

slqrick
06-20-2013, 12:54 AM
Shit. Massive MI.

Robby P
06-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Only 51. How awful for his family.

number8
06-20-2013, 01:42 AM
Only 51. How awful for his family.

His wife just gave birth to a daughter last October. :(

dreamdead
06-20-2013, 01:51 AM
I feel horrible for his family. So damn young.

Definitely gonna have to do a Sopranos marathon in the fall.

Ivan Drago
06-20-2013, 02:16 AM
I feel horrible for his family. So damn young.

Definitely gonna have to do a Sopranos marathon in the fall.

I've started watching it for the first time in his honor.

RIP. :(

Sycophant
06-20-2013, 02:36 AM
A truly talented, brilliant actor. I can't believe he died so young. :(

Morris Schæffer
06-20-2013, 05:18 AM
Awful awful awful times infinity. :(

Morris Schæffer
06-20-2013, 10:44 AM
The restaurant, Holsten's Diner, where the final scene of The Sopranos was shot kept (keeps?) that table deliberately vacant excepting a little sign that said "reserved" while music from the show was played throughout the establishment.

Benny Profane
06-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Tough to believe he was only 51. That means that when the Sopranos started he was around my age (37) which is also hard to believe. Given his physical condition it's not a huge surprise that he passed away, but definitely way too young. Loved his work.

bac0n
06-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Slim Whitman also died yesterday. Immortalized as the man who's music saved us all from certain annihilation at the hands of The Martians in Tim Burton's epic documentary Mars Attacks.

number8
06-20-2013, 03:29 PM
This is my favorite obituary so far.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/06/20/james_gandolfini_dead_his_favo rite_online_magazine_slate_whi ch_he_d_never.html?fb_ref=sm_f b_share_chunky_bottom

Irish
06-20-2013, 11:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpRTIl9bHlk

MadMan
06-21-2013, 01:34 AM
Slim Whitman also died yesterday. Immortalized as the man who's music saved us all from certain annihilation at the hands of The Martians in Tim Burton's epic documentary Mars Attacks.Heh, so that's the name of humanity's savior. RIP.

Dead & Messed Up
06-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Richard Matheson.

Nothing shocking. Just depressing. He was one of the greatest genre writers of all time.

D_Davis
06-25-2013, 01:05 AM
I always wished I like Matheson's fiction more. I respect him for what he did for the genre, and I like a lot of his television stuff, but I've never truly loved one of his books/stories. He's similar to Jack Vance and Lovecraft in that regard - I tend to like the things those authors inspired, more than I like the authors themselves.

Still though, to lose Vance and Matheson in the same year...the grandmasters are leaving.

Stay Puft
06-25-2013, 12:24 PM
I hope you're sitting down for this one, D.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hong-kong-director-lau-kar-574372

Lau Kar Leung, at 76. After battling cancer for two decades!

The greatest of them all. Farewell.

number8
06-25-2013, 02:00 PM
I was initially saddened when I heard it, but when I read that he was diagnosed for cancer in his 50s and lived until his 70s, I decided that there's nothing sad about it. He was a badass, that's for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV4DIRY0OgA

D_Davis
06-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Father and "son"

Man...I bet Gordon Liu torn up today. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3r09EmZCzQ

Look at how many moves there are before a cut.

Filmmakers take note - this is how you film a fight scene. Get two of the best stage fighters of all time, and just let them do their thing.

D_Davis
06-25-2013, 09:23 PM
I hope you're sitting down for this one, D.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hong-kong-director-lau-kar-574372

Lau Kar Leung, at 76. After battling cancer for two decades!

The greatest of them all. Farewell.

Pops will be forever missed. A true master.

I've been seriously bummed today.

number8
06-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Jim Kelly has died.

RIP Black Belt Jones.

Skitch
06-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Jim Kelly has died.

RIP Black Belt Jones.

And Black Samurai. :cry:

MadMan
07-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Jim Kelly has died.

RIP Black Belt Jones.Damn. I loved him in Enter The Dragon. RIP.

I just watched that clip of Lau Kar Leung fighting Jackie Chan and I realized that I really need to watch more martial arts movies. He lived with cancer for 20 more years after he was diagnosed? Whoa. RIP for him too.

Skitch
07-01-2013, 02:19 AM
This really kinda bums me out. He threw down so many great lines.

"BullSHIT, Mr. Han man!"
"I'm Batman, motha fucka!"

D_Davis
07-01-2013, 05:33 AM
I just watched that clip of Lau Kar Leung fighting Jackie Chan and I realized that I really need to watch more martial arts movies. He lived with cancer for 20 more years after he was diagnosed? Whoa. RIP for him too.

You could spend a long time just watching LKL and Lau-family movies. He was the real deal - an actual kung fu master, and a great filmmaker who made films about the respect, honor, and skill if kung fu.

MadMan
07-01-2013, 07:01 AM
You could spend a long time just watching LKL and Lau-family movies. He was the real deal - an actual kung fu master, and a great filmmaker who made films about the respect, honor, and skill if kung fu.Well I think I'll seek some of his out. Got any recommendations? I added back Netflix in the mail so any that aren't on Instant Viewing I'll be able to check out.

Morris Schæffer
07-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Ah shit that's who Jim Kelly is. RIP.

bac0n
07-01-2013, 02:48 PM
You could spend a long time just watching LKL and Lau-family movies. He was the real deal - an actual kung fu master, and a great filmmaker who made films about the respect, honor, and skill if kung fu.

Not surprising, seeing as he was a descendant of Wong-Fei Hung. Maybe even a direct descendant if memory serves.

D_Davis
07-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Not surprising, seeing as he was a descendant of Wong-Fei Hung. Maybe even a direct descendant if memory serves.

IIRC, his teacher was a descendant of WFH (can't recall off hand, but there is some kind of WFH connection there), and the Lau family traces their lineage back to the original Shaolin temple, and the origins of southern-style kung fu.

So yeah, kung fu is in the Lau family's blood.

D_Davis
07-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Well I think I'll seek some of his out. Got any recommendations? I added back Netflix in the mail so any that aren't on Instant Viewing I'll be able to check out.

1. 36th Chamber of Shaolin
2. Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
3. Heroes of the East

^Three of the best kung fu movies ever

4. Challenge of the Masters
5. Executioners from Shaolin
6. Martial Club
7. The Lady is the Boss
8. Disciples of the 36th Chamber
9. Shaolin Mantis
10. Dirty Ho

number8
07-02-2013, 07:50 PM
No no, no one's a descendant of anything. Wong Fei-hung inherited his father's Hung Gar school and taught a man named Lam Sai-wing, who moved to Hong Kong in the middle of the 20th century to teach Hung Gar. One of his students was Lau Kar-leung's father, who then passed it on to his two sons Kar-leung and Kar-wing, and his adopted son Gordon Liu.

I'm writing a tribute article right now and I just researched all that. :P

D_Davis
07-02-2013, 08:00 PM
That's it. Couldn't remember Lam Sai-wing's name and connection.

It's crazy how quickly and easy it is to forget all of these names and stuff when you don't spend hours and hours a week watching kung fu movies.

D_Davis
07-02-2013, 08:03 PM
For a really fun film depicting Lam Sai-wing, check out Sammo Hung's The Magnificent Butcher.

number8
07-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Here it is.

“Drunken Master II” and Lau Kar-leung’s Legacy in American Pop Culture (http://www.artboiled.com/2013/drunken-master-ii-and-lau-kar-leungs-legacy-in-american-pop-culture/)

MadMan
07-03-2013, 05:14 AM
1. 36th Chamber of Shaolin
2. Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
3. Heroes of the East

^Three of the best kung fu movies ever

4. Challenge of the Masters
5. Executioners from Shaolin
6. Martial Club
7. The Lady is the Boss
8. Disciples of the 36th Chamber
9. Shaolin Mantis
10. Dirty HoCool, and thanks good sir for the recs.

Mara
07-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Cory Monteith, 31. I'm actually sort of sad-- I don't watch Glee anymore, but he always seemed like such a nice kid.

MadMan
07-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Cory Monteith, 31. I'm actually sort of sad-- I don't watch Glee anymore, but he always seemed like such a nice kid.Ah so that's who they are talking about. I don't like Glee but its a damn shame when someone dies at that young of an age.

[ETM]
07-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Cory Monteith, 31. I'm actually sort of sad-- I don't watch Glee anymore, but he always seemed like such a nice kid.

Glee fans creep me out. The way everyone was talking about it online, I had thought they had killed off his character on the show.

number8
07-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Didn't know that he's been battling drug addiction since he was 13 years old and that they wrote him a hiatus from the show so he could go to rehab. Damn.

Mara
07-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Didn't know that he's been battling drug addiction since he was 13 years old and that they wrote him a hiatus from the show so he could go to rehab. Damn.

That's terrible.

Wryan
07-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Pretty awful.

number8
07-14-2013, 06:39 PM
I was also unaware that he and Lea Michele were engaged in real life. Now I feel bad for her. How are they gonna write that into the show, and have her act it? That would be brutal.

Thirdmango
07-15-2013, 08:09 PM
I was also unaware that he and Lea Michele were engaged in real life. Now I feel bad for her. How are they gonna write that into the show, and have her act it? That would be brutal.

Unfortunately I've been thinking about this concept since the news was revealed. Death episodes of TV shows are generally terrible, and I really don't want to see how Ryan Murphy handles this sort of subject.

Gamblor
07-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Mel Smith: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23390982

shaun
07-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Dennis Farina died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_MSg8CyvEM

Sven
07-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Dennis Farina died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_MSg8CyvEM

whatnooooo...

Irish
07-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Aw fuuuuuuuuuck. What the hell?

Morris Schæffer
07-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Fuck!

Skitch
07-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Damn.

Benny Profane
07-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Sidney, relax. Have a cream soda. Everything's gonna be over in a few minutes.

So well played. RIP.

ContinentalOp
07-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Fuck you, fuckball.

He'll be very missed.

Dukefrukem
07-23-2013, 12:45 AM
:(

Morris Schæffer
07-23-2013, 10:55 AM
"Have you spoken to Mr. Palmer since your husband blew up?"

The deadpan, insouciant delivery of this line in Get Shorty is fucking hilarious.

Morris Schæffer
07-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Is Jackie Chan dead?!!!!!

My GF just texted me!

edit: probably hoax. thank god

Scar
07-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Is Jackie Chan dead?!!!!!

My GF just texted me!

edit: probably hoax. thank god

Again?

Morris Schæffer
07-25-2013, 05:34 AM
Again?

There was a first time? :)

[ETM]
07-25-2013, 06:40 AM
As recently as June, if Google is any measure.

MadMan
07-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Dennis Farina died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_MSg8CyvEMHe was awesome. RIP.

Mara
07-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Eileen Brennan, 80. I have no memory of Private Benjamin, though I think I saw it, so for me she'll always be the gravelly-voiced broad from The Sting and, of course, Mrs. Peacock.

Gamblor
08-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Karen Black:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/karen-black-dead-74-known-five-easy-pieces-nashville-109516

number8
08-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I literally just did a gasp out loud at the office.

Grouchy
08-09-2013, 04:21 AM
Ooooh that is really shitty. I loved her.

MadMan
08-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Karen Black:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/karen-black-dead-74-known-five-easy-pieces-nashville-109516Great actress. Only 74? RIP.

EyesWideOpen
08-10-2013, 02:18 AM
I've only seen her in a few things and thought she was terrible in all of them. RIP.

megladon8
08-10-2013, 02:23 AM
I've only seen her in a few things and thought she was terrible in all of them. RIP.

That's quite a eulogy. :lol:

MadMan
08-10-2013, 06:18 AM
I've only seen her in a few things and thought she was terrible in all of them. RIP.Did you watch Nashville? Because she was great in that.

Gamblor
08-18-2013, 03:34 PM
August Schellenberg:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23745897

shaun
08-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Jett Jackson (Lee Thompson Young)

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/actor-lee-thompson-young-dead-29/story?id=20002723

Gamblor
08-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Elmore Leonard, according to his Facebook fan page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=481804258577794&set=a.173696349388588.40899.17 3642292727327&type=1

Mara
08-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Confirmed on his website:

http://www.elmoreleonard.com/index.php?/weblog/more/elmore_leonard_octiber_11_1925 _august_20_2013#.UhNuv5K1F8E

number8
08-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Found out on one of those elevator monitors that crawls headlines. Worst fucking ride ever.

slqrick
08-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Damn.

D_Davis
08-20-2013, 03:12 PM
One of the great wordslingers.

Morris Schæffer
08-20-2013, 04:43 PM
R.I.P. I've got s4 of Justified in the pipeline so I'm gonna savor every deliciously scripted word of that.

Grouchy
08-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Shit, that sucks.

I used to buy his paperbacks in airports everytime I could, as a tradition. They make for awesome plane reading. That sounds like a back-handed compliment, but they do! Perfect lenght!

MadMan
08-21-2013, 03:53 AM
Elmore Leonard, according to his Facebook fan page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=481804258577794&set=a.173696349388588.40899.17 3642292727327&type=1Shit. He was awesome.

Morris Schæffer
08-26-2013, 05:26 AM
Rip Gilbert Taylor, cinematographer on star wars and dr. Strangelove.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38549

Morris Schæffer
09-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Sir david frost, 74

Morris Schæffer
09-03-2013, 03:58 PM
RIP Tommy Morrison, Rocky's opponent in Rocky V. I understand he's actually related to John Wayne?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/09/02/tommy-morrison-dies-rocky-v/

Gamblor
09-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Otto Sander

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24069872

Morris Schæffer
09-13-2013, 06:01 AM
Ray Dolby, 80. A giant in the field of audio development.

D_Davis
09-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Ray Dolby, 80. A giant in the field of audio development.

Back in the 90s I used Dolby NR religiously to clean up my 4-track cassette recordings, and now, today, I use plug-ins and real tape machines to inject hiss and noise into my clean digital recordings. :)

number8
09-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Back in the 90s I used Dolby NR religiously to clean up my 4-track cassette recordings, and now, today, I use plug-ins and real tape machines to inject hiss and noise into my clean digital recordings. :)

This may be the most hipster thing ever posted on this site.

D_Davis
09-14-2013, 11:10 PM
This may be the most hipster thing ever posted on this site.

:P

Imperfections become desirable when they become optional.

Dead & Messed Up
09-15-2013, 02:49 AM

My brother recently had trouble getting his little indie label interested in his new stuff; it wasn't difficult enough to hear.

You are why my brother can't have nice things. You.

D_Davis
09-16-2013, 01:34 PM
:P

Imperfections become desirable when they become optional.

Here is a really good example of this phenomena.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/09/15/hirlostek-bright-noise-cable-adds-noise-to-your-synth/

Gamblor
10-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Tom Clancy

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/385409424669827072

megladon8
10-02-2013, 09:13 PM
IGN reported Clancy's death stating that he was a "gaming legend".

Pretty sure throwing his name on a few successful video game franchises isn't the most memorable thing he did.

Regardless, RIP.

Morris Schæffer
10-03-2013, 06:50 AM
I found his novels a chore to read, but love mctiernan's the hunt for red october.

rip

MadMan
10-03-2013, 07:50 AM
I liked Patriot Games (the book-haven't seen the movie). He was a decent enough writer who had a lot of influence on action movies and thrillers. And yes The Hunt For Red October is a great film. RIP.

Morris Schæffer
10-04-2013, 04:21 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/italian-actor-giuliano-gemma-dies-641710

Italian western actor giuliano gemma, 75. He's done many second rate (read: not by sergio leone) spaghetti westerns and was at one point in the running to lead Leone's movies instead of Clint Eastwood. He may even have done a Django flick or two.

Gamblor
10-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Patrice Chéreau

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0161717/#director

Morris Schæffer
10-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Character actor Ed Lauter, 74. Last saw him in the Artist as the limo driver.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/character-actor-ed-lauter-dead-at-74.html?mid=imdb

Gamblor
10-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Ravenous director Antonia Bird: http://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/news/2013-10-25-antonia-bird-dies-at-54-news-story-by-jennie-kermode

D_Davis
10-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Ravenous director Antonia Bird: http://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/news/2013-10-25-antonia-bird-dies-at-54-news-story-by-jennie-kermode

Man - one of the most underrated films I've ever seen. So unique in every way. Crazy, too, because it's one of the choices I picked to watch tomorrow with a group of friends.

Morris Schæffer
10-26-2013, 06:47 AM
RIP legendary stuntman, cannonbal run helmer and buddy of Burt Reynolds Hal Needham. Oh and of course Smokey and the Bandit too!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64825

MadMan
10-26-2013, 10:44 AM
RIP legendary stuntman, cannonbal run helmer and buddy of Burt Reynolds Hal Needham. Oh and of course Smokey and the Bandit too!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64825Bummer. Smokey and the Bandit is a classic.

Gamblor
10-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Marcia Wallace :(

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/marcia-wallace-star-of-the-bob-newhart-show-and-voice-of-mrs-krabappel-dies-at-71-1200764197/

number8
10-26-2013, 10:31 PM
I read some time back that the Simpsons character they're planning to kill off this season is actually Mrs. Krabappel, because they were expecting this. So that lessened the shock a bit, but I didn't think it would be this soon.

megladon8
10-26-2013, 10:47 PM
I hadn't read that, 8, but I have been reading that the creators will be letting the character retire with her death, as opposed to recasting it.

Which I am very thankful for.

Winston*
10-26-2013, 11:48 PM
I hadn't read that, 8, but I have been reading that the creators will be letting the character retire with her death, as opposed to recasting it.

Which I am very thankful for.

They did the same with Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz when Phil Hartman died.

Winston*
10-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Lou Reed. Damn.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lou-reed-velvet-underground-leader-and-rock-pioneer-dead-at-71-20131027

Russ
10-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Goddamnit.

RIP you crazy diamond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYEC4TZsy-Y

Grouchy
10-27-2013, 08:45 PM
R.I.P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwzaifhSw2c

MadMan
10-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Really sad week :sad:

Skitch
10-31-2013, 07:17 PM
I read Celine Dion rolled her car while going 95 and died instantly. Seemed unconfirmed though.

Mara
10-31-2013, 07:22 PM
I read Celine Dion rolled her car while going 95 and died instantly. Seemed unconfirmed though.

Seems like a hoax; it's showing up on snopes. http://www.snopes.com/computer/facebook/celinedead.asp

That said, it is the twenty-year anniversary of River Phoenix's death today.

Ezee E
11-01-2013, 12:44 AM
They talked about it being a hoax on the radio today.

Dead & Messed Up
11-21-2013, 02:05 AM
Sylvia Browne, famed Montel guest, offensive charlatan, and enemy of nail-clippers everywhere, has passed away at the age of 77. She predicted she'd die at 88. Couldn't even get that one right.

Pop Trash
12-01-2013, 02:01 AM
Paul Walker dead at 40. :eek:

Kurosawa Fan
12-01-2013, 02:21 AM
Paul Walker dead at 40. :eek:

Just saw this flash across my phone and gasped. Car crash, I read. I'm guessing it wasn't filming related? Either way, RIP.

number8
12-01-2013, 02:22 AM
It wasn't. He was on his way home from some kind of charity event.

Skitch
12-01-2013, 02:22 AM
Man that fucking sucks. I never thought of him as a great actor, but I always rooted for him because he seemed like such a nice and genuine guy. :sad:

Scar
12-01-2013, 02:23 AM
Just saw this flash across my phone and gasped. Car crash, I read. I'm guessing it wasn't filming related? Either way, RIP.

They were toying around in his new Porsche GT.

Scar
12-01-2013, 02:26 AM
I was indifferent towards the guy until I saw him helping tag several great white sharks for study.

'Tis quite the bummer.

Acapelli
12-01-2013, 02:48 AM
i know most will think of the fast/furious films when it comes to paul walker's filmography, but running scared is my shit, and he's a huge part of that

r.i.p

Pop Trash
12-01-2013, 02:53 AM
They never did much for me, but I'm positive this will solidify the growing culty status of the Fast/Furious flicks.

Acapelli
12-01-2013, 02:58 AM
didn't know that having films grossing in the mid six figures doesn't even get you cult status nowadays

Skitch
12-01-2013, 03:09 AM
i know most will think of the fast/furious films when it comes to paul walker's filmography, but running scared is my shit, and he's a huge part of that

r.i.p

Agreed, Running Scared is an excellent flick.

Dead & Messed Up
12-01-2013, 03:12 AM
He might be referring to the critical cult that's started to see the Fast films as impressionistic action vehicles that reflect our multicultural age and feature an increasingly dense narrative web.

Sven
12-01-2013, 06:25 AM

r.i.p

This. Huge blow. Was just reiterating White's adage yesterday that every movie would be improved with Paul Walker in it.

Morris Schæffer
12-01-2013, 06:57 AM
There's nothing left from the car. Fuck!

Sxottlan
12-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Jaw dropped when I got the AP alert. Unbelievable. And a car crash too. Always seemed like a nice guy. That served him well in the Fast and Furious movies. I assume the franchise will survive as it's become such a big ensemble and he became just one part of it, but it will still feel weird as he was the original main character.

Running Scared was good, but I was particularly impressed by a bit of stunt work he did in the first F&F film. He pulled up in his car, hit the hand brake, spun the car perpendicular, came to a stop and pulled a gun and fired towards the camera. All in one take and all within the blocked shot.

Hugh_Grant
12-01-2013, 01:27 PM
A very guilty pleasure of mine is Eight Below, or as my husband calls it, "that dog movie." There was something about Walker's charisma that made that film work so well.

Pop Trash
12-01-2013, 05:11 PM
He might be referring to the critical cult that's started to see the Fast films as impressionistic action vehicles that reflect our multicultural age and feature an increasingly dense narrative web.

I guess so? I've only seen the first one and it seemed to be a straight knock off of Point Break's plot, but they have played as midnight movies near me and I can only see this increasing with PW's death.

Kurosawa Fan
12-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Nelson Mandela, 95 years old.

RIP

Watashi
12-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Nelson Mandela.

Honestly, I thought he was already dead.

Winston*
12-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Nelson Mandela.

Honestly, I thought he was already dead.

They've been talking about how close he is to death in the news for like a year.

Grouchy
12-05-2013, 09:48 PM
RIP to a truly great man.

MadMan
12-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I'll just echo the comments about Nelson Mandela.

Gamblor
12-15-2013, 05:09 PM
The Guardian is reporting that Peter O'Toole has died. :(

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/dec/15/peter-o-toole-dies-lawrence-arabia

Irish
12-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Reprint of Gay Talese's 1963 Esquire profile on O'Toole:

http://longform.org/stories/peter-o-toole-on-the-ould-sod

Morris Schæffer
12-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Acting royalty. Rip

Skitch
12-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Legend. :(

Mara
12-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Everyone's going to mention his talent, presence, and wit, so let me just throw out there...

...seriously, one of the best-looking actors of all time. How to Steal a Million? Ay yi yi.

Gamblor
12-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Joan Fontaine now too, apparently.

Mara
12-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Whoa.

Grouchy
12-16-2013, 12:32 AM
That's just fucking shocking, I was just reading his Wikipedia entry the other day.

And Joan Fontaine too... sad day.

MadMan
12-16-2013, 02:13 AM
I love both My Favorite Year and Lawrence of Arabia. RIP.

number8
12-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Tom Laughlin, aka Billy Jack. :cry:

Spun Lepton
12-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Suppose I should watch Lawrence of Arabia now, eh?

MadMan
12-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Suppose I should watch Lawrence of Arabia now, eh?

YESSSSSS! *Throws things at Spun*

Mara
12-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Ned Vizzini, 31. A writer of YA novels, television shows, and essays. Wrote extensively about his own struggles with mental illness and depression, including It's Kind of a Funny Story, which was adapted into the film.

Cause of death is rumored to be suicide. He leaves behind a wife and child.

So, so sad.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/isaacfitzgerald/ned-vizzini-beloved-author-dead-at-age-32

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-writer-ned-vizzini-has-died-20131220,0,6354622.story#axzz2 o1k96Ygm

Grouchy
12-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Nelly Omar, tango singer and actress, dead at... 102 years old!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KuojTh_XOaI/Ui9avrX5d0I/AAAAAAAAHBQ/hdaGvgDraqA/s400/Nelly-Omar-24.jpg

Morris Schæffer
01-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Rip James Avery, aka uncle Phill

http://news.sky.com/story/1189197/uncle-phil-fresh-prince-star-james-avery-dies

MadMan
01-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Johnny Orr died recently too. Not a good start to the New Year.

Mara
01-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Phil Everly, of the Everly Brothers, 74.

It is probably shocking to exactly nobody that I love the Everly Brothers.

Morris Schæffer
01-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Oscar-winning Producer Saul Zaentz, 92 (One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest' in 1976, 'Amadeus' in 1985 en 'The English Patient' in 1997)

Winston*
01-07-2014, 01:41 AM
Run Run Shaw of the Shaw Brothers. 107.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1399612/media-mogul-run-run-shaw-dies-107

Milky Joe
01-07-2014, 01:56 AM
Mike Vraney, exploitation excavator, Something Weird video founder, dead at 56. :( :( :(

http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/memory-something-weird-founder-mike-vraney-1957-2014/#comments

D_Davis
01-07-2014, 03:04 AM
Run Run Shaw of the Shaw Brothers. 107.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1399612/media-mogul-run-run-shaw-dies-107

A true legend. Changed the face of cinema, along with his wife Mona Fong.

D_Davis
01-08-2014, 01:20 AM
Pretty neat to hear a bunch of segments today on NPR about Sir Run Run Shaw; they even interviewed Grady Hendrix, and when they played the audio from the movies they used the original Chinese language audio.

What a fucking legend.

Morris Schæffer
01-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Never knew he coproduced Blade Runner, though was uncredited.

D_Davis
01-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Yep. He and his wife produced over 1,000 movies. Simply amazing.

Stay Puft
01-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Never knew he coproduced Blade Runner, though was uncredited.

I noticed that when I rewatched it a couple years ago. The Ladd Company logo at the beginning of the film says "in association with Sir Run Run Shaw" underneath. Blew my mind.

dreamdead
01-10-2014, 12:19 AM
Amiri Baraka (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/10/arts/amiri-baraka-polarizing-poet-and-playwright-dies-at-79.html?hp&_r=0), poet and playwright. :sad:

[ETM]
01-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Roger Lloyd-Pack (http://www.channel4.com/news/only-fools-and-horses-roger-lloyd-pack-trigger-dies-aged-69) (69), actor, best known for "Only Fools and Horses". RIP, Trig. :(

Grouchy
01-22-2014, 09:09 PM
Not a celebrity that would be familiar to most of you, but I just heard that Fabio Manes died today. He was a film collector, a film restorator and a film enthusiast who co-directed a film show on public TV with Fernando Peña as well as a live series of projections, where you could see 35mm and 16mm copies, most of them very well preserved, of all kinds of classics or obscure gems. Few people loved film (and B-movies) with so much passion. I will personally always remember him as a guy with a great sense of humor and a huge desire to show you some of his favorite films.

http://comorobarelmundo.metro951.com/files/2013/01/fabio-mannes-e1360164268467.jpg

D_Davis
01-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Not a celebrity that would be familiar to most of you, but I just heard that Fabio Manes died today. He was a film collector, a film restorator and a film enthusiast who co-directed a film show on public TV with Fernando Peña as well as a live series of projections, where you could see 35mm and 16mm copies, most of them very well preserved, of all kinds of classics or obscure gems. Few people loved film (and B-movies) with so much passion. I will personally always remember him as a guy with a great sense of humor and a huge desire to show you some of his favorite films.

http://comorobarelmundo.metro951.com/files/2013/01/fabio-mannes-e1360164268467.jpg

These are the kind of people I admire most in the film world.

MadMan
01-23-2014, 09:19 PM
I would have liked to meet him. Sounds like he was a cool dude.