PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Lights

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2007, 06:21 PM
So I'm more than halfway through the first season, and it's starting to decline in quality. My first concern when I heard they were developing this into a series was that there just wouldn't be enough natural drama to sustain the show through 23 episodes. Well, there wasn't. So now they've moved on to manufacturing drama to keep things interested. I mean, how many things can go wrong in one season? How many hot-button issues can come up in a 10 week span? It's getting out of hand as of late. This would work perfectly as a show on HBO or Showtime, where they could have more freedom with the material and only have a 12-13 episode season. They could save some of these subplots for future seasons rather than bringing them up and resolving them in only one or two episodes.

I'll likely finish this season and start on the second, but if I catch up and it's more of the same, I won't finish the second season.

Henry Gale
11-02-2007, 07:25 PM
I had similar feelings of it maybe going down in quality with things like Smash's steroids and Matt's dad returning, but I thought the show ended up making the best out of those plots later on and ending off on a high note.

Some have had problems with this new season, but I think it's the same show and quality but just a lot darker and tragic.

ledfloyd
11-03-2007, 12:45 AM
i've been happy with this season, despite the one glaring plot point. i never had any problems with the first season. the first season is fantastic.

Kurosawa Fan
11-03-2007, 12:39 PM
The plot that bothered me the most was the Coach McGill comments and subsequent fallout. It takes place right after the resolution to Smash and the steroids and Matt and his father, and is followed up by Tim and his father and Coach Taylor getting the job offer. Those other things are okay on their own, but I mean, it's just one thing after another with the show. It seems as though it's never about the drama on the field anymore. Hell, the game before States, all they showed was a failed Hail Mary pass and brief celebration. It's a good show, not a great one, but it has several problems. My position still stands going into season two.

Henry Gale
11-03-2007, 05:11 PM
The plot that bothered me the most was the Coach McGill comments and subsequent fallout. It takes place right after the resolution to Smash and the steroids and Matt and his father, and is followed up by Tim and his father and Coach Taylor getting the job offer. Those other things are okay on their own, but I mean, it's just one thing after another with the show. It seems as though it's never about the drama on the field anymore. Hell, the game before States, all they showed was a failed Hail Mary pass and brief celebration. It's a good show, not a great one, but it has several problems. My position still stands going into season two.

I actually kind of prefer the episodes that have nothing to do with football because as much as I understand the the game's significance to the show's setting and its significance to the plot a lot of the time, as someone who really can't relate to that at all I find the episodes more about the coach, the players and their families far more compelling.

Kurosawa Fan
11-03-2007, 05:32 PM
I actually kind of prefer the episodes that have nothing to do with football because as much as I understand the the game's significance to the show's setting and its significance to the plot a lot of the time, as someone who really can't relate to that at all I find the episodes more about the coach, the players and their families far more compelling.

I don't disagree, but knowing how important football is to the town and the people, for the show to skip the second biggest game of the season, the game that would send them to the State Championship, is absurd. I know the finale is the State Championship, but the show has gone too far abandoning the football scenes and moved to that manufactured drama.

Kurosawa Fan
11-03-2007, 08:15 PM
I also find it incredibly unrealistic that a major university would offer Coach Taylor a job. I know he's done a great job with a team that lost their starting QB, but he's also had a game forfeited because of recruiting violations, had to dismiss a player because he assaulted another student, is being sued for not properly teaching his QB to tackle leading to his paralysis, and had every black member of his team walk out on him and his staff because of racist remarks. No one would touch the guy right now.

Henry Gale
11-04-2007, 12:16 AM
This week's was probably my favourite so far of the new season. Easily the funniest and most heartfelt it's been since coming back.

Cult
01-28-2008, 07:03 PM
So I'm more than halfway through the first season, and it's starting to decline in quality.
I'm around that point right now, and I still think it's great. During what episode(s) do you think it starts to suck?

Kurosawa Fan
01-28-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm around that point right now, and I still think it's great. During what episode(s) do you think it starts to suck?

I thought the race issue was handled really poorly. Like I said a few posts back, the show doesn't have enough natural material to stretch an entire season (both football and television), so they start manufacturing drama to keep people interested. I mean, I'm not even sure it's possible for that much shit to take place at one school without the students/team having a complete upheaval and killing each other. It seemed to get silly, and has continued to do so in season 2 with the murder plot and the crystal meth plot, etc. There just isn't enough interesting about a high school football season for 23 quality episodes.

Henry Gale
01-19-2009, 07:11 AM
So even though this thread hasn't been touched in nearly a year, the third season finished airing on Direct TV last week and I must say that I was extremely impressed by it all the way through. Easily the best season of the show and if it is decided for it to go no further then I will be be entirely happy with what they did with these last thirteen episodes.

The second to last episode in particular was as emotionally gripping as anything drama I've ever seen on TV. Obviously not to the heights of, say, the last few episodes in The Wire's third season or Lost's "The Constant", but for the sort of show Friday Night Lights is, it's extremely impressive stuff.

If anyone here has ever enjoyed the show in the slightest, I would say the third season is definitely worth catching up with now that it's about to start airing on NBC.

Thirdmango
01-19-2009, 09:21 AM
I was able to watch about half of the third season and I found I liked it as much as the beginning of the first season. I gave up on the show for a long while because of the stupid murder angle plot but luckily it seems they've forgotten they were so stupid.

EvilShoe
01-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah, the third season is also my fav of the show's run.
I was saddened to see
Street and Smash go, but enjoyed both their send-offs. Even if Street's was very Hollywood.

I hope the fourth season gets made. The finale set up some interesting stuff.

Kurosawa Fan
02-21-2009, 03:29 PM
The third season was my favorite too. A couple of silly contrivances

The Child Protective Services story was really bungled, as was Street and the pregnancy (really, she had the baby in three weeks?) but I never liked Street and was glad to see him go, so that wasn't a big issue for me. A couple other mishaps too, but nothing too major

but they are overshadowed by wonderful send-offs for every character (since this will be their last season). I loved Smash. Great way to end his arch. And the Riggins brothers were the highlight of this season. Hilarious. This was such a great rebound from what started as such an abysmal second season.

Ivan Drago
02-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Is this still on NBC? Or is it staying on that Direct TV channel only 1/3 of the country has?

EvilShoe
02-23-2009, 12:43 AM
The third season was my favorite too. A couple of silly contrivances

The Child Protective Services story was really bungled, as was Street and the pregnancy (really, she had the baby in three weeks?) but I never liked Street and was glad to see him go, so that wasn't a big issue for me. A couple other mishaps too, but nothing too major

but they are overshadowed by wonderful send-offs for every character (since this will be their last season). I loved Smash. Great way to end his arch. And the Riggins brothers were the highlight of this season. Hilarious. This was such a great rebound from what started as such an abysmal second season.
I'm not sure what you mean by the Child Protective Services story being bungled? Do you mean how quickly it was resolved? If so, I suppose you're right but it didn't bother me.
Also, do you mean there was a time screw-up? I don't remember when season 2 ended, but I think they were still in the first school semester.
Actually when I think of contrived, I think of
Street's happy ending.
Still, I liked the character a great deal so it didn't bother me. And anything here was indeed better than stuff such as
last season's murder & Mexican maid subplot.

Kurosawa Fan
02-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by the Child Protective Services story being bungled? Do you mean how quickly it was resolved? If so, I suppose you're right but it didn't bother me.
Also, do you mean there was a time screw-up? I don't remember when season 2 ended, but I think they were still in the first school semester.
Actually when I think of contrived, I think of
Street's happy ending.
Still, I liked the character a great deal so it didn't bother me. And anything here was indeed better than stuff such as
last season's murder & Mexican maid subplot.

Yes, how quickly it was brushed aside. I know they had a limited amount of episodes, and so things had to be wrapped up quickly because the likelihood of another season isn't good at all, but the tension between Coach Taylor and McCoy's father was bad enough already that it would have justified him muscling Taylor out of the program. The CPS bit felt tacked on just for the sake of drama. I mean, his wife went from freaking out about what her husband had done, and J.D. was telling Coach that he didn't want to see or talk to his father again, to the next episode all three of them together like nothing had happened at all. And yes, I was including the happy ending in the contrivances with Jason Street. His whole story was contrived this season, but seeing as I never liked him or his story, I'd rather his storyline get fucked up than someone I cared about on the show.

And dude, she was Guatemalan, not Mexican. Have a heart. Racist.

EvilShoe
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Yes, how quickly it was brushed aside. I know they had a limited amount of episodes, and so things had to be wrapped up quickly because the likelihood of another season isn't good at all, but the tension between Coach Taylor and McCoy's father was bad enough already that it would have justified him muscling Taylor out of the program. The CPS bit felt tacked on just for the sake of drama. I mean, his wife went from freaking out about what her husband had done, and J.D. was telling Coach that he didn't want to see or talk to his father again, to the next episode all three of them together like nothing had happened at all. And yes, I was including the happy ending in the contrivances with Jason Street. His whole story was contrived this season, but seeing as I never liked him or his story, I'd rather his storyline get fucked up than someone I cared about on the show.

And dude, she was Guatemalan, not Mexican. Have a heart. Racist.
At least I don't hate the crippled, you dick.

Kurosawa Fan
02-23-2009, 03:28 PM
At least I don't hate the crippled, you dick.

A fair point.

In all seriousness though, how great was Landry this season? Good to see him back to his dry, sarcastic self instead of the ultra-serious murderer they turned him into in season two. Man the first half of that season sucked.

EvilShoe
02-24-2009, 03:03 PM
A fair point.

In all seriousness though, how great was Landry this season? Good to see him back to his dry, sarcastic self instead of the ultra-serious murderer they turned him into in season two. Man the first half of that season sucked.
I respect the writers for keeping Street crippled throughout the series, and liked various aspects of his storylines. (Not going to bother defending the Mexican one though... ugh.)

And yes, it was nice to see fun Landry back. Even though it was strange how there was a long stretch when he and "best friend" Matt barely saw each other.

I also liked Buddy Garrity a lot in the final season. Even if there was the contrived Guess what! My brother is immensely wealthy, and will finance your college! storyline.
But still, also forgiveable stuff.

EvilShoe
03-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Apparently the chances are reasonable there might not only be a fourth, but also fifth season.

Kurosawa Fan
03-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Apparently the chances are reasonable there might not only be a fourth, but also fifth season.

Whoa. Really? Where did you read this? The ratings this year were even more miserable than the second season, so that's surprising. I was actually kind of hoping they'd end things now, because all of the characters outside of J.D. McCoy and Julie Taylor would have to leave the show (considering they're graduating), and it had such a great ending to the season, it'd be tough to introduce all new characters and have them play out as well as the last group did without feeling like some of it is just recycled material.

EvilShoe
03-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Whoa. Really? Where did you read this? The ratings this year were even more miserable than the second season, so that's surprising. I was actually kind of hoping they'd end things now, because all of the characters outside of J.D. McCoy and Julie Taylor would have to leave the show (considering they're graduating), and it had such a great ending to the season, it'd be tough to introduce all new characters and have them play out as well as the last group did without feeling like some of it is just recycled material.
http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/03/exclusive-frida.html#more

I have mixed feelings about the show continuing. I'd like to see Coach Taylor start from scratch and the evolution of his conflict with JD's dad, but I'm worried about new characters coming in. Like you, I fear for recycled stuff and old characters being kept on through bad subplots.

It's not really the thought of a fourth season that worries me (f.e. I'd like to see where Matt's storyline goes), it's the thought of a fifth as well.

Kurosawa Fan
03-31-2009, 12:20 AM
FNL Officially Renewed for Two More Seasons (http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/03/30/friday-night-lights-renewed-for-2-years/15487)

Well, here's to hoping they can continue the quality of last season.

EvilShoe
03-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Final seasons for Lyla and Tyra, apparently.

Kurosawa Fan
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Final seasons for Lyla and Tyra, apparently.

I'm okay with this. Their stories were wrapped up nicely. What I'm not okay with is a FNL without Tim Riggins. Find a way writers. Find a way.

Thirdmango
05-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Alright so I finally watched eps 7-13 today to end out the third season. I agree that the CPS storyline started to feel like the stupid Murder angle. I'm so glad they haven't alluded to it ever happening. Landry continues to be my favorite part of the show. I was really glad to see him in Observe and Report. The one thing which really makes me happy is the East Dillon vs. Dillon story line which will fill most of the fourth and fifth seasons. That brings a good tension to it and they can focus on that stuff instead of dumb stories which turn into murders. I'm curious to see who will be in this next season but I am glad Street is gone. Overall season 3 was almost as good as season 1 and much better then season 2.

Henry Gale
10-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Season 4 starts tonight on DirecTV. The reviews, based on however many episodes they've given to press, are very positive overall. But for now... a pretty incredible promo for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcfFB-M10K4

EvilShoe
10-29-2009, 07:05 PM
That sure was depressing.

Kurosawa Fan
10-29-2009, 07:36 PM
That sure was depressing.

The episode or that preview? I'm going to wait five or six weeks before I start season four so I don't have to wait so long between episodes. I've heard nothing but great things so far.

EvilShoe
10-29-2009, 07:58 PM
The episode or that preview? I'm going to wait five or six weeks before I start season four so I don't have to wait so long between episodes. I've heard nothing but great things so far.
The episode.
It was great, but probably the darkest ep of Friday Night Lights yet. I have high expectations for the rest of the season.

Henry Gale
10-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Man, Wallace really grew up.

And yes, very good premiere. Only a couple of moments that seemed to stick out to me as not really working very for me despite serving their purpose. It's very that it was just because those few moments, unlike everything else in the episode, felt like they could have been from another show. Mainly coming to mind are the PTA meeting and Billy's speech about his wife and kid on the way. Though, the second was right after Tim's hilariously messy and fairly realistic looking fall to even things out for that scene.
Excellent stuff overall and I hope the season continues in this tone.

Thirdmango
10-30-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm glad Landry's Bassist chick is still in the show if not with a main part. That was a good first episode.

Mara
10-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Three fistfights in forty minutes seems to show a certain lack of imagination.

But the show gets mad love from me for the heartbreaking use of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing," which is a favorite of mine, and a very sad, beautiful song.

I think it's obvious the direction this season is taking, and I approve.

Mara
11-07-2009, 01:40 AM
Anyone watch this episode? 'Cause Tami Taylor is one of my favorite characters on television right now.

Henry Gale
11-07-2009, 02:20 AM
Anyone watch this episode? 'Cause Tami Taylor is one of my favorite characters on television right now.

Her dropping in on the Panther meeting calling out Joe was badass. The rest of the episode was quite good too, even if it feels like they're still just setting a lot of things up.

Mara
11-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Her dropping in on the Panther meeting calling out Joe was badass. The rest of the episode was quite good too, even if it feels like they're still just setting a lot of things up.

Agreed and agreed. I think it's a mark of quality, though, that even with a set-up scenario, the show remains enjoyable. I'm actually hyped to see the season play out.

EvilShoe
12-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Latest episode was the series at its best.
Terrific showcase for Gilford. Very gripping stuff.

Mara
12-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Terrific showcase for Gilford. Very gripping stuff.

His acting has been out of the park recently. He's not overplaying it at all-- just quiet and heart-wrenching.

Henry Gale
12-05-2009, 09:05 PM
The newest one was definitely incredible, and as dark and devastating as the show has ever gotten. The plot point as a cliffhanger in the episode before was alright, but having it so fully realized and explored here in so many ways was really amazing stuff, particularly because of Gilford.

Sometimes I really can't believe most of the dialogue on this show is improvised. I mean if I found out some things in this episode were in fact heavily scripted, I wouldn't mind either. Just when it comes to things like the dinner scene at the Taylors' house, where it could have gone so many easier and more textbook ways, the way the show handles the characters in situations like with such perfectly rough and awkward touches ends up being so effective.

Thirdmango
12-07-2009, 03:56 AM
my download of episode 4 had video and audio off by 5 seconds. Is this on anywhere streaming online? I need to watch these episodes.

Also it seems that once they are done with a character they go into weird mode. Matt's art run is weirding me out.

Mara
12-07-2009, 01:52 PM
my download of episode 4 had video and audio off by 5 seconds. Is this on anywhere streaming online? I need to watch these episodes.

Also it seems that once they are done with a character they go into weird mode. Matt's art run is weirding me out.

This site is okay: http://watch-series.com/serie/friday_night_lights

It links to streaming sites, and you have to watch out for pop-ups. As far as the streaming sites themselves, Megavideo is good quality and bug-free, but caps how many minutes per day you can watch (50-60, I think.) WiseVid is smaller, but non-buggy and no limit. The other sites are hit-and-miss.

Thirdmango
12-13-2009, 12:31 PM
alrighty, I finally got to see it. Pretty phenomenal stuff.

EvilShoe
12-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Haven't seen this week's ep, but concerning last week's: I wouldn't at all be upset if
we never heard from Matt again. He's always been the most reserved character, and giving him a quiet send-off seems like the perfect way to go. Perfect use of music.

K_Fan will love that choice.

Spoiler for future eps:
I read an interview with Gilford where he states he'll make one or two more small appearances somewhere down the line.

Mara
01-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Bit behind-- catching up on a week ago, and I had to pause and say

that the conversation between Eric and Tami laying on the bed after he found out she was drunkenly kissed by a co-worker is beyond charming and completely believable.

ledfloyd
01-21-2010, 08:39 PM
i haven't watched since season 2, after the writer's strike i stopped keeping up. but i'm going back and starting at the beginning with intentions of catching up. 5 or 6 episodes into season 1 is reminding me why i loved this show so much.

Mara
01-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Caught up. This season has been dark, dark, dark. And I understand that money problems are a recurring theme, but it feels like almost ever single plot is revolving around it right now, and I'd like to see them diversify.

EvilShoe
02-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Beautiful ending.

Taylor Kitsch has really grown as an actor.

Good luck, Matt Saracen. :sad:

Coach and Tami are such a great couple.

Mara
02-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Caught up today.

I thought we were getting a Tyra farewell? What happened to that? She just dropped off the face of the earth?

I'm very pleased with how they resolved the Tim storyline. But surely they want to bring him back next season? And this may sound petty, but he got to keep the land, right?

I wasn't as pleased with how they resolved the abortion debacle subplot. I thought it was very interesting, and then they kind of side-stepped out of it. Without Tami or Julie at Old Dillon, are they just completely dropping the Panthers for the Lions?

Hope we get farewell arcs for Julie and Landry, because I don't feel done with them yet.

EvilShoe
02-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Caught up today.

I thought we were getting a Tyra farewell? What happened to that? She just dropped off the face of the earth?

I'm very pleased with how they resolved the Tim storyline. But surely they want to bring him back next season? And this may sound petty, but he got to keep the land, right?

I wasn't as pleased with how they resolved the abortion debacle subplot. I thought it was very interesting, and then they kind of side-stepped out of it. Without Tami or Julie at Old Dillon, are they just completely dropping the Panthers for the Lions?

Hope we get farewell arcs for Julie and Landry, because I don't feel done with them yet.
From what I heard, seems Adrianna Palicki was too busy with other projects to re-appear on the show. I'm sure she'll get her send-off in season 5 if it's possible.

Taylor Kitsch doesn't have a lot of free time next season either. Hopefully he'll be in at least one episode. Creator of the show said he wanted to make it work. Don't know how the land thing works, I don't think he'll own it anymore.

Liked the pregnancy angle in the first few eps. A bit disappointed they used it as a reason to get Tami into East Dillon. Don't think West Dillon will be of much significance anymore next season.

Julie and Landry will def be around. Season 5 was confirmed to be the last one, so at least we'll have some of the original cast around for the final season.

Dark season overall, though.
Street and Smash both got happy endings last season. This time around Tim ends up in jail, and Matt faces an uncertain future without his girlfriend. Sucks to get a send-off in season 4.

Henry Gale
02-17-2010, 08:17 PM
I'll still say Season 3 is my favourite, this year came really close by the end.

But if both the creative and business sides of things don't see the show working beyond next year, then that's fine by me. The new characters were built up strongly enough to care about them for next season, but with most of the old ones gone, I do think that constantly bringing in new cast members would water down the great dynamics between the original cast and their ties to everything in the series. It will be missed once it's gone though, no doubt.

Kurosawa Fan
06-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Watched the first three episodes of season four last night. I'm a bit mixed. Some of it is working well (really missed spending time with the Taylors), but other decisions are leaving my scratching my head. Why is J.D. McCoy all of the sudden having parties and surrounding himself with girls? When did this change occur? It was only a matter of months ago that his father slapped the piss out of him for defying him and having a girlfriend (at least, that was at the crux of the conflict) and now he can have wild parties and fondle whomever he chooses? There are also a few storylines that you can see developing a mile away, and many of them feel like we've been there before. Hopefully I'm wrong, and the show takes things in another direction. We shall see.

Still, I'm hopeful.

Henry Gale
06-12-2010, 06:27 PM
I'd say things step up very soon.

Also, you've probably seen a good chunk of the J.D. stuff for the season already, so the simplest way to look at the change in him is just that after his parents' divorce, his dad is willing to give him whatever freedom he wants, as long as it keeps it on his side. I really don't remember him being in it too much.

And by the end of things, I felt that Wallace from The Wire was a really strong addition to the show and the sort of stories it told (which I assume is one of the new storylines you're referring to).

EvilShoe
06-25-2010, 06:21 AM
So K_F:

The J.D. McCoy thing is quickly adressed. One the one hand I feel it's somewhat of a missed opportunity, on the other hand I'm not that big a fan of the actor or the storyline. Didn't mind too much.

I thought the new characters developed well after a while, and it has the best episode of Friday Night Lights (episode 5).

Not as good as season 3, but still up there.

Henry Gale
02-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised that this thread hasn't been bumped once all season. I could have sworn that I even gave some thoughts at some point, but I guess not...

The series finale was incredibly good. The whole season has been pretty stellar, but in this last stretch the writers really did some amazing work by continuing to develop all the characters right up to the very last moments of the show, but also allow the raw emotions to flow through it as much as ever, leaving an even more lasting impression on me (or probably most fans) as a result.

The DVD of the season comes out in April (before NBC even shows it), so I definitely recommend to anyone that's ever been a fan to catch up and see just how well they brought it all together in the end. To me, it's an absolutely perfect wrap-up to what's easily been one of my favourite shows ever.

Kurosawa Fan
02-10-2011, 09:32 PM
The season premier was interrupted by a bad storm (I have satellite), so I have every episode other than that one on my DVR waiting to be watched, I just need to acquire the season premier. Oh, and drop out of school, so that I actually have time to watch.

Henry Gale
02-10-2011, 09:40 PM
The season premier was interrupted by a bad storm (I have satellite), so I have every episode other than that one on my DVR waiting to be watched, I just need to acquire the season premier. Oh, and drop out of school, so that I actually have time to watch.

Yeah, I hear you, if it really is in any way that you just need the premiere to help start going again, there's probably somewhere online that has it. But at least with it being a final season, there's really no rush to seeing it before any more comes around. Still, it definitely brought the show together with a feeling as good as any of their best finales, so glad to hear you'll still get to it eventually.

Not to mention the finale ended one aspect of things almost exactly to an idea I had about it early on in the season, giving it an even more personal joy.

Mara
02-11-2011, 12:06 AM

Oh, I help! This entire season is on my to-do list.

Here. (http://www.megavideo.com/?v=X6CA8U0S)

Kurosawa Fan
02-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Oh, I help! This entire season is on my to-do list.

Here. (http://www.megavideo.com/?v=X6CA8U0S)

Thanks! I wasn't worried about finding the episode, as I'm sure it's available in torrent form, but that link is even easier!

Mara
02-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks! I wasn't worried about finding the episode, as I'm sure it's available in torrent form, but that link is even easier!

I looooove streaming. I never torrent if I can help it at all.

Henry Gale
02-17-2011, 07:42 AM
So in the last week I've realized how much the cast of the show has already spread comfortably into a ton of other TV roles. Zach Gilford (Matt) is in the main cast of Off The Map, Jurnee Smollett (Jess) seems to now be a regular on The Defenders as Jim Belushi's young protégé, Matt Lauria (Luke) is one of the leads in The Chicago Code, Scott Porter (Street) is apparently on The Good Wife semi-regularly, and in one fairly recent episode of Parenthood I saw, Michael B. Jordan (Vince) and the actor that played Buddy Jr. both happened to be in it (though that's probably due more to the fact that both that show and FNL have/had the same showrunner).

Also earlier this month it was announced that Minka Kelly was going to be one of Charlie's Angels in the new version on ABC, Connie Britton may be the lead in a new David O. Russell series for FX, and just today NBC announced that Adrianne Palicki (Tyra) is their new Wonder Woman. Plus, Kyle Chandler and Taylor Kitsch have a few high profile blockbuster movies to occupy their time over the next couple of years.

It's just nice to see them keeping busy for the time being since I tend to find it kinda sad when talented actors in a great show don't get work in much else after that series comes to an end. I guess The Wire would be one of the better examples of this.

Mara
05-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Finally getting started on the season (so I can finish before The Cutties.) This is one of those shows that I'm never really motivated to watch, but then when I do watch it, I have forgotten how great it is. The beginnings of the seasons are always tricky because they knock everyone down in order to have those lovely catharses later on.

That said, Julie's storyline this season is ridiculous and completely out of character. (I just started episode four.)

ledfloyd
05-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Finally getting started on the season (so I can finish before The Cutties.) This is one of those shows that I'm never really motivated to watch, but then when I do watch it, I have forgotten how great it is. The beginnings of the seasons are always tricky because they knock everyone down in order to have those lovely catharses later on.

That said, Julie's storyline this season is ridiculous and completely out of character. (I just started episode four.)
i'm at the same spot, i've been watching them on nbc. i think eventually i'll cave and netflix the dvds to finish it in a binge.

i agree julie's storyline is kind of awful, but is it really out of character? she has a long history of going after older, educated guys. her teacher, the habitat for humanity guy, the swede, now this guy.

Mara
05-07-2011, 07:18 PM
i agree julie's storyline is kind of awful, but is it really out of character? she has a long history of going after older, educated guys. her teacher, the habitat for humanity guy, the swede, now this guy.

Not so much that he's older, it's that he's married. If there's one thing that was hammered home in the Taylor household, it was respect for marriage. Plus, Julie's matured a lot in the last couple of years, and I don't think she'd fall for the "It's just like I'm single" con that he's pulling on her.

Mara
05-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Tami Taylor: still the most compassionate, level-headed Mom on television.

ledfloyd
05-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Tami Taylor: still the most compassionate, level-headed Mom on television.
but this season she's frequently seemed out of depth as a guidance counselor. particularly in the youtube episode.

Kurosawa Fan
05-08-2011, 12:19 PM
I feel ashamed that I haven't finished the series yet. I shall amend that as soon as the finales for my current shows have aired.

Watashi
06-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I'm halfway through the second season and I'm struggling to finish it. The whole Landry/Tyra murder subplot was really stretching it. I still watch it for the fantastic performances. Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton completely blow me away in every episode.

Mara
06-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I'm halfway through the second season and I'm struggling to finish it. The whole Landry/Tyra murder subplot was really stretching it. I still watch it for the fantastic performances. Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton completely blow me away in every episode.

Horrible. The worst plot that ever happened on the show. I had blocked it from memory.

Watashi
06-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Where did D7's post go?

DavidSeven
06-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Sorry, I deleted it and was going to re-post but I got pulled away.

Anyway, yeah. I finished the first season. Thought it was great. Seems to be a significant dip in the second season (six episodes in). I don't like any of this season's storylines, and I get really annoyed every time a new character is added. Chandler/Britton have incredible chemistry, and the show's still worth watching for the adult Taylors alone. Hope it picks up.

Also, re: the Season 1 finale:

I thought Voodoo moved back to Louisiana. How did they end up playing him in the state championship? Either way, I thought that was pretty contrived and silly.

Kurosawa Fan
06-18-2011, 12:19 AM
The second season, particularly the first half, is pretty awful. No doubt about it. Stick with it, because it recovers and the third season is the pinnacle of the series. Fourth season is very good as well, but the third season, in particular how it ends, is magnificent television.

Thirdmango
06-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Everyone including me agrees the second season is awful. But like everyone before me I say stick with it. It's weird how good that show is as long as it's not being horrible.

Henry Gale
06-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I have a few friends who've recently been interested in watching the whole series, and I'm seriously considering just telling them to skip Season 2 entirely, especially since nearly every storyline from that season is deleted from the show's memory in Season 3. But maybe warning them so much about the drop in quality already does the job of lowering their expectations.

ledfloyd
06-20-2011, 07:30 PM
when thinking about recommending this show to people i always wonder if anything would be lost by telling them to start with season 3.

Henry Gale
06-20-2011, 08:46 PM
when thinking about recommending this show to people i always wonder if anything would be lost by telling them to start with season 3.

You say this like Season 1 is bad.

DavidSeven
06-21-2011, 02:08 AM
I'm now 10 episodes into Season 2. Awful, awful stuff. Landry's storyline JUST WON'T END, and I feel like they've ruined almost everything that was good about the characters in Season 1. Boy, you guys better be right about Season 3.

Kurosawa Fan
06-21-2011, 03:07 AM
I'm now 10 episodes into Season 2. Awful, awful stuff. Landry's storyline JUST WON'T END, and I feel like they've ruined almost everything that was good about the characters in Season 1. Boy, you guys better be right about Season 3.

I promise. I hated season two as much as you do.

ledfloyd
06-21-2011, 03:15 AM
You say this like Season 1 is bad.
it's good, but not AS good as seasons 3-5. and it would bypass the whole season 2 issue.

i actually stopped watching while it was airing during season 2. then after KF kept going on about how great seasons 3 & 4 were i finally dove back in. you won't be disappointed.

Henry Gale
06-21-2011, 03:23 AM
I do think though that in addition to being by far the longest season, Season 1 has a lot of early character development that does a really great job of informing everyone's paths and arcs over the course of the series. I'm just not sure Street and Smash's big episodes in Season 3 would have very much impact at all to someone who didn't see how they started out, but I think for someone like me who watched it all the way through, those are pretty powerful episodes.

Ezee E
06-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Any problem with just skipping to season 3?

Lazlo
06-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Any problem with just skipping to season 3?

Emotional investment in characters like Smash, Saracen, and Trya would likely be diminished.

Kurosawa Fan
06-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Emotional investment in characters like Smash, Saracen, and Trya would likely be diminished.

Definitely. Don't do it. Your emotional connection to these characters is imperative to the success of the third season.

DavidSeven
06-27-2011, 09:39 PM
So, they're obviously changing the ages of these characters as they go along right?

There's no damn way Riggins, Lyla, and Tyra were portrayed as sophomores in the first season. And Landry a freshman? Total cheat. He drove Matt to school in the first episode of the series! I'm pretty sure Julie was a sophomore that first season as well.

ledfloyd
06-28-2011, 04:08 AM
So, they're obviously changing the ages of these characters as they go along right?

There's no damn way Riggins, Lyla, and Tyra were portrayed as sophomores in the first season. And Landry a freshman? Total cheat. He drove Matt to school in the first episode of the series! I'm pretty sure Julie was a sophomore that first season as well.
i think they're just assuming, like any sensible person, that season 2 doesn't exist.

Henry Gale
06-28-2011, 05:06 AM
I think the writers owned up to bending the ages of the characters to better fit the timing of the stories they wanted to tell over time. It's not something I really minded too much, especially when it comes to characters like Julie and Landry, who were always made to seem younger than the main team members in Season 1 anyway.

But in the end, I think watching it over the years made it much less noticable for me, compared to if you're watching it all together in a condensed run, season after season.

Thirdmango
06-28-2011, 07:00 PM
But in the end, I think watching it over the years made it much less noticable for me, compared to if you're watching it all together in a condensed run, season after season.

Agreed with this. I never realized it. Perhaps it was one of those things where they said, Uh oh, well our current fans won't notice but people marathoning in the future will.

DavidSeven
06-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Season 4, "The Son"...

Holy shit.

Been moving through this at a fairly rapid clip, thanks to my girlfriend becoming obsessed with this series. I love the fact that they basically called a mulligan on Season 2 at the very beginning of Season 3. The season definitely ended up being good as advertised. Smash's short arc and some great moments with Tyra elevated this series to an incredibly high level. I had some misgivings at the start of Season 4, but man, the way they've integrated new faces with old characters has been pretty masterful. I think it has a fair shot of surpassing Season 3 at this point. The above mentioned episode is, in my mind, the absolute pinnacle of this series. Just incredible.

Kurosawa Fan
06-28-2011, 08:40 PM
The only thing that keeps season four from eclipsing season three for me, is its denouement. Shame too, because like you said, it otherwise would have continued the stunning upward trend of the series.

Henry Gale
06-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Season 4, "The Son"...

Holy shit.

The above mentioned episode is, in my mind, the absolute pinnacle of this series. Just incredible.

Yeah, I'd say it's one of the best examples of paying off long-term emotional investment in characters through the structure of television writing. It hit me harder than pretty much any other episode of any show I can think of.

As surprised as I should have been considering the show's history with the awards, it made perfect sense when that episode got the show's first and only writing nomination at the Emmys. It's just a shame that Gilford didn't get similar love in the Guest Actor category.

DavidSeven
07-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Finished the series. Beautiful ending. One of the best series finales I can remember.

There were a few minor bumps and contrivances getting there, but really, I thought Seasons 4 and 5 were consistently great on an episode-to-episode basis. I'd say Seasons 3-5 were roughly the same in quality -- all excellent. A shame that there may never be anything else on TV that's quite like it.

Watashi
08-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Finally finished season 2. After the hiccup midway though with Landry and Tyra, the season finished masterfully. Gaius Charles really impressed me with his acting those final few episodes.

Henry Gale
08-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Finally finished season 2. After the hiccup midway though with Landry and Tyra, the season finished masterfully. Gaius Charles really impressed me with his acting those final few episodes.

I honestly don't remember exactly how that season ended, especially since at the time, it was just the point that NBC forced it to be cut short because of the writer's strike and the show's future in question. Was it the Peter Berg episode?

Either way, you can now start on Season 3, probably the best season one of the show, with the shorter, more focused, DirecTV seasons until the end.

DavidSeven
08-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I remember what I think was the second-to-last episode (Matt getting thrown in the shower and Smash's locker room speech) being one of the better episodes of the series. It definitely seemed like they righted ship in at least the last couple episodes of that largely atrocious season. Luckily for Wats, it's basically consistently awesome from here on out. \

Henry Gale
08-01-2011, 10:54 PM
I remember what I think was the second-to-last episode (Matt getting thrown in the shower and Smash's locker room speech) being one of the better episodes of the series.

Oh ok, that was indeed an amazing one. I didn't realize that was where it came about in the series.

Watashi
10-18-2011, 04:18 AM
Finally watched the entire series. Masterful ending. One of the best shows ever. Tami and Eric are some of the most well-realized and developed couples I've seen.

Benny Profane
10-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Finished the entire series. I want to live my life Riggins style.

DavidSeven
10-21-2011, 08:47 PM
I miss having this show in my life.

Irish
02-11-2013, 01:58 AM
Netflix expects I will rate this something like 4.8 out of 5 stars. What's the over/under on that? (Bearing in mind that the people watching have zero interest in football.)

What is your yay or nay on this show? PRO, pro, con, or CON?

Watashi
02-11-2013, 02:04 AM
The biggest PRO I can give to a show. Minus a hiccup in season 2.

number8
02-11-2013, 02:17 AM
Is there type bigger than caps for PRO? I want that.

Kurosawa Fan
02-11-2013, 04:07 AM
Agree with everyone else. The biggest PRO I can type.

Kurosawa Fan
02-11-2013, 04:07 AM
I seem to have found a glitch.

Henry Gale
02-11-2013, 04:13 AM
Could take or leave actual football.

WILL TAKE MY LOVE OF FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS TO THE GRAVE.

Watashi
02-11-2013, 04:15 AM
Well, we set very low expectations for Irish now.

Henry Gale
02-11-2013, 04:35 AM
His inevitable disappointment is sure to go over swimmingly.

Lazlo
02-11-2013, 04:40 AM
It's Irish. No matter how good the show is, he'll find something wrong with the marketing or the way it spoke to its target demographic.

Also, it's a mega-PRO.

DavidSeven
02-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Netflix expects I will rate this something like 4.8 out of 5 stars. What's the over/under on that? (Bearing in mind that the people watching have zero interest in football.)

If you end up disliking the show, it will have precisely nothing to do with your disinterest in football. I watched the entire series with someone who has no interest in football whatsoever.

Obviously a big PRO over here. I know you're occasionally nutty, but I think you might like it, except for Season 2 (which is about 85% bad).

Mara
02-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm not even clear on the rules of football.

It is a very good show, minus some season 2 issues.

number8
02-11-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm not even clear on the rules of football.

It is a very good show, minus some season 2 issues.

Yeah, I don't really know what a lot of the stuff that Coach Taylor yells at the kids during games means. Not that it matters. I barely understand 90% of the cast of House.

Mara
02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I don't really know what a lot of the stuff that Coach Taylor yells at the kids during games means. Not that it matters. I barely understand 90% of the cast of House.

In FNL, they very helpfully cut to audience reaction shots after plays happen. Tami will either cheer or wince, which is a good indication of whether or not it is good for our team.

(Like, I assume being tackled is a bad thing. But sometimes... not? Depending on how far they carried the ball before they were tackled? This is one reason I cannot even with football-- I have trouble supporting a sport where: good job! Someone just bodily slammed you into the ground! Champion!)

number8
02-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Another thing that's helpful is that it's a show about football where every character talks about football and how much they love football that shows actual football being played for about a cumulative 10 minutes every season.

Irish
02-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the rec, everyone!

Started watching last night. Held my breath through the first four or so episodes waiting to see if that nice kid was going to be the starting QB over that evil shit Voodoo.

Thought they did an incredible job illustrating the weird, almost Machiavellian, machinations going on in the town. Some of the other subplots (like a certain love triangle) are less interesting.

The show's continuing stroke of genius, though, is the story of Street. That choice alone puts it on a different plane.

Awhile ago I read a story in Texas Monthly about a kid who was paralyzed from the neck down in 1973 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McClamrock), during a highschool football game. Incredible stuff. The magazine seems to have taken it down, but if you can scrounge up a copy it's worth reading.

number8
02-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Street is based on a real kid who Peter Berg personally saw get paralyzed at a game he attended in 2003 while researching for the movie. He couldn't put the story in the movie, but decided to do so when he made the show.

David Edwards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Edwards_(football_player _and_motivational_speaker))

Kiusagi
02-12-2013, 01:43 AM
Been meaning to start watching this, but I watched the movie first and it did nothing for me. Is the series that much better?

Irish
02-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Been meaning to start watching this, but I watched the movie first and it did nothing for me. Is the series that much better?

I haven't seen the movie, but anything that excises Billy Bob Thorton is a step up.

Watch the first four episodes and see if they grab you. I was skeptical too at first, but those four really pulled me in.

Watashi
02-12-2013, 01:52 AM

The movie is terrible and nothing like the show.

The show is amazing.

Watashi
02-12-2013, 01:53 AM
I wonder since I grew up in Texas (particularly a small town) that I really appreciated how close Berg and co. captured the spirit and pandemonium of football on Friday nights. I can't imagine someone from LA or NY watching and thinking this show represents reality.

number8
02-12-2013, 02:16 AM
What's funny is that the showrunner (Katims) and the series director (Reiner) are both Jewish guys from Brooklyn.

Irish
02-12-2013, 08:04 PM
LOVED the first season.

But since it's me, you know I have criticisms:

Tyra turned out to be my favorite character. I think the 'stalker/rapist' storyline was exploitative in an ugly "Criminal Minds" kind of way. I really hate this shit on network TV. It's such a cheap way to heighten the drama, and I'm sick of seeing women continually portrayed as victims in this manner. It makes me angry.

Some of the story turns towards the end seemed a little contrived. Like how the outcome of any week's game is telegraphed like all hell. Like Street getting a coaching job at his own high school, despite being both a minor and a dropout. Like how the team finds out about Coach's new job right before the big game. Still, I admire the show's ability to work this stuff in fairly seamlessly. They're very good about coming up with new problems every week.

I also have a small amount of trouble with the actors. I have to mentally remind myself that these characters are supposed to be in high school, because almost all of the actors were 23-24 when this season was filmed, and boy do they look it. Tim Riggins' affair with his next door neighbor kinda goes from "what's the big deal? that's kinda sweet" to being seriously creepy when I remember he's supposed to be like 16-17.

One thing I love: The way the show gives secondary and minor characters, who are all flawed, a chance to be heroic in small ways. Like when Smash led the black players off the field, and the way Mac McGill stepped up to the cops.

number8
02-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Now begin the super rough first half of Season 2, which will continue and amplify the criticisms you pointed out.

Irish
02-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Now begin the super rough first half of Season 2, which will continue and amplify the criticisms you pointed out.

:cry: What? Noooooooooo. Say it isn't so.

DavidSeven
02-12-2013, 08:14 PM
LOVED the first season.

But since it's me, you know I have criticisms:

Tyra turned out to be my favorite character. I think the 'stalker/rapist' storyline was exploitative in an ugly "Criminal Minds" kind of way. I really hate this shit on network TV. It's such a cheap way to heighten the drama, and I'm sick of seeing women continually portrayed as victims in this manner. It makes me angry.

Some of the story turns towards the end seemed a little contrived. Like how the outcome of any week's game is telegraphed like all hell. Like Street getting a coaching job at his own high school, despite being both a minor and a dropout. Like how the team finds out about Coach's new job right before the big game. Still, I admire the show's ability to work this stuff in fairly seamlessly. They're very good about coming up with new problems every week.

I also have a small amount of trouble with the actors. I have to mentally remind myself that these characters are supposed to be in high school, because almost all of the actors were 23-24 when this season was filmed, and boy do they look it. Tim Riggins' affair with his next door neighbor kinda goes from "what's the big deal? that's kinda sweet" to being seriously creepy when I remember he's supposed to be like 16-17.

One thing I love: The way the show gives secondary and minor characters, who are all flawed, a chance to be heroic in small ways. Like when Smash led the black players off the field, and the way Mac McGill stepped up to the cops.

All fair points, I think. As 8 said, some of these issues only get amplified during season 2. But remember, it's basically consensus around here that the show went off the rails for a bit immediately after season 1. Power through, because it will reach even greater heights later. That was the advice I was given by folks here, and it's the one I continue to give out to new viewers of the show.

number8
02-12-2013, 08:14 PM
It's a universally hated string of episodes.

Irish
02-12-2013, 08:23 PM
I will power through in that hope that Coach returns to Dillon. I've become a little too attached to him and his connection to the team. It's like when you're in grade school and your best friend moves away or your dog dies. It's like "What the hell? This is .. wrong. It's not supposed to be like this. Somebody do something, FFS!".

"The team without Coach? What? It's not right! Somebody fix it!".

This new guy? The so-called 'Tenneesee Tyrant? They didn't need to make him a hard-ass. I already hate him just because, and I hope he gets hit by a truck.

Kyle Chandler is pretty fucking amazing in this, and I love the way he's play the character, and how understated that character is.

DavidSeven
02-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Agreed. I think most media pundits were shocked when Chandler won the Emmy over Hamm that one year Cranston wasn't eligible. I love me some Don Draper, but I don't think anyone who actually watched FNL was upset at all. I only wish Britton won that same year.

Irish
02-12-2013, 08:50 PM
WTH? I just checked Netflix. Season 1 is the only full season?

I assume season 2 (2007) got interrupted because of the writer's strike, but 3-5 are listed as having only 13 episodes each.

number8
02-12-2013, 09:09 PM
No that's right. It became a cable show in S3, airing on DirectTV. 13 eps a season.

Irish
02-12-2013, 09:14 PM
No that's right. It became a cable show in S3, airing on DirectTV. 13 eps a season.

Ohhhhhh.

And here I thought NBC actually pulled its head out of its own ass for once. :lol:

DavidSeven
02-12-2013, 09:23 PM
I believe NBC would re-air the episodes first run on DirecTV several months later (even after the season DVDs became available lol). But yeah, this show would have been canceled if DirecTV didn't jump in.

Watashi
02-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I think 13 episodes is enough for a season anyway. 20+ can be excessive sometime.

Watashi
02-12-2013, 11:56 PM
What I don't like about season 2 is not just the Landry/Tyra subplot, but how because of the writers strike, a lot of the more interesting subplots were dropped once season 3 started (most specifically Lyla's church-going boyfriend). Season 2 has a lot of weird subplots. I think I hated the Matt/Carlotta subplot more than then the Landry/Tyra one. At least the latter brought out that cute MST3K-loving lesbian that Landry liked for a few episodes.

Lazlo
02-13-2013, 04:00 AM
What I don't like about season 2 is not just the Landry/Tyra subplot, but how because of the writers strike, a lot of the more interesting subplots were dropped once season 3 started (most specifically Lyla's church-going boyfriend). Season 2 has a lot of weird subplots. I think I hated the Matt/Carlotta subplot more than then the Landry/Tyra one. At least the latter brought out that cute MST3K-loving lesbian that liked Landry for a few episodes.

No one ever mentions the Street-goes-to-Mexico subplot. That's my most hated season 2 nonsense.

Irish
02-13-2013, 07:32 AM
I think I hated the Matt/Carlotta subplot more than then the Landry/Tyra one.

Landry/ Tyra was bad because it felt contrived and the tone was way off; like something that belonged on a CBS police procedural. It's as if the writers struggled to keep these two characters relevant, as neither of them had a direct connection to the football team.

Matt/Carlotta was kinda worse. The second Carlotta introduced herself I rolled my eyes. Gee, an in-home caregiver arrives for grandma and what are the chances that she'd be young, hot and available? My oh my I wonder if these two will ever get together ... :rolleyes:

And wtf is wrong with Dillon? Every adult these kids run into turns out to be some kind of horny chicken hawk/ephebophile.

I lost count of the number of characters that said, "I know it's crazy because [I'm|you're] only 17, but ..."

No one ever mentions the Street-goes-to-Mexico subplot. That's my most hated season 2 nonsense.

That entire storyline was absurd, and would have caused me to stop watching if you guys hadn't warned me that parts of season 2 sucked.

Watching season 2 almost made me wanna say "fuck it" and go back and watch season 1 again. It's like they almost abandoned everything about the show that made it so good.

Thirdmango
02-13-2013, 07:45 AM
I just want to reiterate that season 3 becomes amazing and redeems the show. The Landry plot was my most hated part of it because I loved Landry too much. I'm actually liking your criticisms and finding them to be pretty much dead on. Just believe us, power into the third season and you'll be glad you did.

Mara
02-13-2013, 11:16 AM
^^^This.

number8
02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't mind the Carlotta plot because it paid off with the famous bathtub scene. That alone made that whole thing worth it.

The other stupid plots didn't lead to a scene that powerful.

ThePlashyBubbler
02-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Wait, did Irish just watch the entire first two seasons in less than 3 days?

Irish
02-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Wait, did Irish just watch the entire first two seasons in less than 3 days?

I've gotten an email from AT&T complaining I'm using too much bandwidth. :lol:

Irish
02-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Oof. Season 3.

I think you guys actually undersold this show.

State was a nail biter. I'm sitting there all nervous and thinking, "Wait. This is a TV show. They won't actually lose. Then ...

FIELD GOAL. WHAT THE FUCK.

Pretty smart creative choice, given they set a high bar in season one. I liked that they had the stones to have them lose State and the Coach more or less lose his job.

Edit PS: I feel sorry for that JD kid but fucking hell that whole family is creepy as shit.

Mara
02-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Everyone keeps talking about these plot lines from season two, and I don't remember any of them? Like, I remember it was bad, but I guess my brain spared me to trouble of remembering exactly what happened.

number8
02-16-2013, 03:55 PM
The thing that I loved the most about the S3 ending was that they got the suspense regarding State out of the way the episode before and rightfully focused on the kids graduating for the finale. They knew their priorities.

Thirdmango
02-17-2013, 02:39 AM
I actually don't remember most plot lines from the show. Except the Landry one from season 2. Booooo. Sounds like I need a re-watch.

amberlita
02-17-2013, 03:29 PM
I'm fairly surprised to be saying this, but I'm 5 episodes into the first season and...I'm just not feeling it, folks. In fact, seeing that Irish blew through 3 seasons in like a day and a half while I haven't had the desire to watch another episode in nearly a month made me realize how little I was feeling it. I won't lie and say the handheld camera doesn't have something to do with it, but that's not something I'm willing to hold against the show. I can get over that with some viewing adjustments. But I have absolutely no interest in all but one of these high school kids that's being depicted.

The blonde slut who seems to want to farm herself out to the nearest single football player in her line of sight. The brunette that's cheating on her paralyzed boyfriend with his best friend who is emotionally closed-off and self-medicating and so they turn to each other for tortured comfort. The cocky black running back. The even cockier monolith replacement black quarterback. Even Street pushing away his devoted girlfriend while his brash roommate helps him find some motivation through anger and tough love. Bored now.

I can't call it cliche, but it all feels so painfully unoriginal.

There's two reasons I want to keep watching: The Taylors and Saracen. I hope that's enough but if I don't love this by the end of the first season, I can't see trudging through an inferior second season.

Irish
02-17-2013, 10:55 PM
I can't call it cliche, but it all feels so painfully unoriginal.

I can't fault you for those criticisms. I hate roving cameras; it always makes me feel like I'm watching outtakes from somebody's wedding video. There's moments where the plot feels forced, and in later seasons that is more pronounced.

But I do like how the first season tells a complete story. I suspect they did it that way on purpose, as they probably weren't sure if the show was coming back. (The downside is that it left them, in some respects, with nowhere to go).

And I do like the way the episodes of that first season were structured. "MASH" and "The West Wing" did something similar. They routinely took a heavy, dramatic storyline and contrasted it against a much lighter one. For "Friday Night Lights," the saving grace was the story of Jason Street, playing his tragedy against the backdrop of high school romance, football games, and the spectacle of Friday nights. Without that, the entire show wouldn't have drawn me in as much as it did. (Granted, I think the actors here fell well short of the material. Most of them are too old for the parts they're playing, and can't play up to the level that the drama really demands. Especially Minka Kelly and Scott Porter).

After viewing all five seasons, I love the show because it consistently and constantly reinforced its themes, but didn't wear those themes on its sleeve. I can forgive that it had to violate a characterization or two and force the occasional plot element in order to do that. I liked how, especially in the first season, it gave an enormous amount of insight into an aspect of American culture you never see on regular television, and the way it gently skirted Larry McMurtry's territory and fully exploited its love of place ("Texas forever!").

Irish
02-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Finished the series. Beautiful ending. One of the best series finales I can remember.

Also: Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis x1000.

One of the gentlest, most graceful endings I've ever seen on a TV show. They really gave their characters time and room to breathe, instead of shoving them through a plot in an effort to wrap everything up.

As soon as it was over, I went back and started watching season 1, episode 1 again (but stopped before Street gets injured). Never done that before.

Going back to my usual weekly menu of cop-driven TV shows is hard now. Everything seems terribly artificial and false next to "Friday Night Lights." This show had a core of 'emotional truth' to it that other shows just lack. I'd put it up against any of the premiere cable stuff over the last ten years, second only to "The Wire" and maybe "Mad Men."

DavidSeven
02-17-2013, 11:39 PM
You are a viking at marathoning TV, Irish.

How impressive was the feat they accomplished in Seasons 4-5?

Seriously, how many series could have pulled off turning over half its cast without missing a beat? I don't think they get enough credit for this. It's a remarkable accomplishment in the TV landscape.

And how great was "The Son"?

number8
02-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Related to amber's criticism, the show is also really, REALLY good at peeling back layers on even the smallest or most obnoxious characters to reveal really admirable qualities. It would've been hard to convince me in those easily S1 eps how much I'd come to love characters like Tyra and Smash and Buddy Garrity and Billy Riggins to the point of tears.

I think the only character I never came around on in the entire show (that I'm supposed to, anyway, obviously the McCoys are born and bred shitheels) was Lyla, and that had a lot to do with Minka Kelly being the most awful actor on the show.

Irish
02-18-2013, 12:09 AM
You are a viking at marathoning TV, Irish.

How impressive was the feat they accomplished in Seasons 4-5?

Seriously, how many series could have pulled off turning over half its cast without missing a beat? I don't think they get enough credit for this. It's a remarkable accomplishment in the TV landscape.

And how great was "The Son"?

Heh, I'm a little embarrassed how quickly I devoured all the episodes.

To your comment, one of the things I thought was admirable was just how gracefully they moved major characters off the stage. Most shows (eg:everything Whedon has done) let characters and actors stick around, even when there's no good reason for them to be there any longer. The endings of a character like Smash, in particular, was really, really, well done.

Can't talk about "The Son" without getting a bit choked up. I never completely warmed up to Matt like some people did, but this episode was pretty much perfect, especially in the way it touched on "Friday Nights Lights'" recurring themes around the difficulty of father-son relationships and loyalty.

One example from the otherwise terrible season two: The Panthers have to share their space with a rival team because of the tornado. One jock is picking up on Tyra in the cafeteria. Landry goes over and starts in on the guy, trying to get him to back off. The way the scene is shot, even before things get too heated, you can see ALL of Landry's teammates start to stand up in the background. He can't see it, because his back is to them, but the audience can. I cheered at that moment, because it just perfectly nailed what the entire show had been trying to say: If you get into trouble, even if you don't realize it right away, it doesn't matter. Because we've got your back.

Later on in the same episode, Tim Riggins gets into a scrape in the locker room with the opposing team's coach. In a rare display of emotion, Coach Taylor comes out of nowhere and backs that guy up against the wall, angrily saying "If you EVER touch one of my players again ..." Same deal. Fucking great.

One of the things I loved about "The Son" is the quiet way Coach offers to walk Matt home at the end of the episode. Same kinda deal. Nails the theme without overplaying it, overdescribing it, and shoving the moment in the audience's face.

Irish
02-18-2013, 12:13 AM
Related to amber's criticism, the show is also really, REALLY good at peeling back layers on even the smallest or most obnoxious characters to reveal really admirable qualities. It would've been hard to convince me in those easily S1 eps how much I'd come to love characters like Tyra and Smash and Buddy Garrity and Billy Riggins to the point of tears.

I think the only character I never came around on in the entire show (that I'm supposed to, anyway, obviously the McCoys are born and bred shitheels) was Lyla, and that had a lot to do with Minka Kelly being the most awful actor on the show.

Yes yes yes! I hated Buddy Garrity until that moment where Lyla is upset during one of the games, and walks off to be by herself under the stands. Buddy follows her, and when she says "You've never missed a game before" he just replies with something like "Well, you're my daughter." Loved him in that moment, loved him afterwards, and later on he really became one of my favorite characters.

Watashi
02-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Jesus Christ, Irish. Even I've never marathoned a show I love that much.

Irish
02-18-2013, 02:53 AM
Jesus Christ, Irish. Even I've never marathoned a show I love that much.

I got a little carried away. :sad:

Thirdmango
02-18-2013, 03:05 AM
Don't worry Irish, I've done what you've done countless times. :D When you love it and you have the time it'll go like that.

amberlita
02-19-2013, 11:45 PM
I'm very distracted by what an unintimidating yeller Coach Taylor is.

Irish
02-19-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm very distracted by what an unintimidating yeller Coach Taylor is.

I think the performance is such that he's doing more with his eyes and his mouth than with his voice.

Besides, having him out there screaming at teenagers like F Lee Ermey would be kinda bizarre. :D

amberlita
02-20-2013, 12:17 AM
I think the performance is such that he's doing more with his eyes and his mouth than with his voice.

:lol: I don't think I even understand this sentence. How can you have yelling with your eyes and mouth but not with your voice?

Irish
02-20-2013, 12:23 AM
:lol: I don't think I even understand this sentence. How can you have yelling with your eyes and mouth but not with your voice?

That character is taciturn and the performance appropriately understated. He's not supposed to be an intimidating yeller. That's not who Coach is. He's the kind of guy who intimidates with his eyes and the hard, unforgiving line of his mouth. Not with his words or the volume and force of his voice.

amberlita
02-20-2013, 12:33 AM
That character is taciturn and the performance appropriately understated. He's not supposed to be an intimidating yeller. That's not who Coach is. He's the kind of guy who intimidates with his eyes and the hard, unforgiving line of his mouth. Not with his words or the volume and force of his voice.

Okay. I just thought it was funny that he hells at whisper-level decibels. But it was just an off-hand comment that I don't really have a problem with so I don't find any use in dissecting seriously. I only wondered if anyone else found it odd that a colicky baby with a head cold could sleep through one of Coach Taylor's locker room tirades.

amberlita
02-20-2013, 04:30 AM
I *heart* Mr. and Mrs. Coach Taylor so much. There's a scene I watched tonight, midway through Season 1...

where following a scene of domestic abuse at Tyra's and the overwhelming gloominess of Matt's daily life, cut to the Taylor living room where they are drinking wine and watching football on mute. Julie walks in and tells them she loves them and they're the best parents in the world (smart girl, that Julie). Cue Coach's shit-eating grin and Mrs. Coach all "ummm, wrong. this is not a good thing." I just love it. Love it so much.

There's something about how they and Gilford play the dynamics of the Matt-Julie courtship and its affect on the Taylors that keeps a used-up plot device fresh, authentic, and really damn funny. I hope they keep that storyline fairly prosaic, because it works better this way rather than ratcheting up the drama as they do with some of the other storylines (adultery! alcoholism! steroids! Of Mice and Men!!!)

Also, Matt Saracen is painfully adorable and pathetic. It's funny to me that the show is depicting a teenage boy with domestic qualities that no high school girl would ever appreciate and can only really appeal to unmarried 20- and 30-somethings who just want a damaged soul to nurture. Believe me when I say this because every time he's on screen he's breaking my heart and dammit, I just really wanna make him a grilled-cheese sandwich and let him play some video games.

Irish
02-20-2013, 04:33 AM
I don't know about damaged soul, but I sure could go for a grilled cheese sandwich right about now.

You know. As long as you're up.

amberlita
02-20-2013, 04:39 AM
I don't know about damaged soul, but I sure could go for a grilled cheese sandwich right about now.

You know. As long as you're up.

I'm not sensing your vulnerability here. Perhaps if I knew you were sitting alone on a porch stoop all balled up, knees tucked to your chest, rocking ever so slightly with that thousand yard stare in your eye. Yeah...that might do it.

Irish
02-20-2013, 05:17 AM
I'm not sensing your vulnerability here. Perhaps if I knew you were sitting alone on a porch stoop all balled up, knees tucked to your chest, rocking ever so slightly with that thousand yard stare in your eye. Yeah...that might do it.

Would you settle for chain smoking, squinting meaningfully, and the occasional pout when nobody is looking? Those I can do (hell, I'm doing two of them right now). The thousand yard stare will require a much bigger reward than grilled cheese.

number8
02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Julie walks in and tells them she loves them and they're the best parents in the world (smart girl, that Julie). Cue Coach's shit-eating grin and Mrs. Coach all "ummm, wrong. this is not a good thing."

I love that scene to death. I can see Coach's smug face clearly still in my head.

ledfloyd
02-20-2013, 02:54 PM
I *heart* Mr. and Mrs. Coach Taylor so much. There's a scene I watched tonight, midway through Season 1...
Warming up to the show then? The Taylor's relationship is really the backbone of the show. I don't know if I've ever seen a great relationship depicted so honestly on television.

amberlita
02-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Warming up to the show then?

Quite.