PDA

View Full Version : Louie

DavidSeven
08-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Finished the second season just recently. Good stuff, but I never thought it ever really reach the heights of season one's best episodes. I'm wondering how long this show can really sustain itself with this kind of-sort of approach to continuity. Obviously, Louis CK doing his own thing is a large part of the appeal, but I fear it's going to get one-note if he doesn't start bending toward more conventional TV storytelling methods at some point.

Mara
08-30-2012, 10:14 PM
I wasn't sure how I felt about "Duckling"-- there was some kernel there of something very good, but I'm not sure it really landed. The next episode, "Niece," was excellent, though.

Winston*
08-30-2012, 10:31 PM
I wasn't sure how I felt about "Duckling"-- there was some kernel there of something very good, but I'm not sure it really landed. The next episode, "Niece," was excellent, though.

What did you think about 'Eddie'? (Probably the show's best episode in my opinion, though I haven't seen season 3 yet)

Mara
08-30-2012, 10:36 PM
What did you think about 'Eddie'? (Probably the show's best episode in my opinion, though I haven't seen season 3 yet)

Perhaps a little overly ambitious, but that's not a bad thing. I'm not sure if I have a favorite episode, but "Bummer/Blueberries" is pretty much a perfect example of what the show does best. In all its awkward, awkward glory.

romantisaurusrex
08-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Perhaps a little overly ambitious, but that's not a bad thing. I'm not sure if I have a favorite episode, but "Bummer/Blueberries" is pretty much a perfect example of what the show does best. In all its awkward, awkward glory.

Dude the follow up episode in season 3 where he goes with the woman to IKEA? I seriously had to pause it a handful of times to catch my breath.

ledfloyd
08-31-2012, 01:21 AM
i think the second season is a huge step up from the first. most of my favorite episodes are from season 2.

also, on the list of things i didn't think i'd ever see, mara praising "blueberries" is right near the top.

Mara
08-31-2012, 10:51 AM
also, on the list of things i didn't think i'd ever see, mara praising "blueberries" is right near the top.

Well, obviously it was super uncomfortable. But there were other sexual scenes on the show that were far harder for me to watch.

Robby P
08-31-2012, 03:38 PM
'Subway/Pamela' was probably my favorite season 2 episode.

ledfloyd
08-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Well, obviously it was super uncomfortable. But there were other sexual scenes on the show that were far harder for me to watch.
for me, that was about the worst.

and yes robby, subway/pamela was my favorite season two episode as well.

the bit last night about amazon reviews had me in stitches.

Lucky
09-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Yes, the amazon bit was hilarious. That was a good episode, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes as it was the first of three parts.

Henry Gale
09-14-2012, 05:29 AM
Great second part. If the third is as good as these first two, this might end up being one of my favourite things the series has done so far. It's oddly managed to dramatize the whole premise so well with an accelerated realism of sorts while painting in enough bizarre details to still let it fit within the slightly skewed universe of the show. Not to mention the guests have been stellar.

During the secretary scene, all I could think was, "This is like if Louis wandered into a David Lynch movie."

And then he appeared. And it was glorious.

Milky Joe
09-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Just watched that episode twice in a row, still can't believe it happened.

ThePlashyBubbler
09-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Wonderful.

Qrazy
09-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Bad acting is bad.

Milky Joe
09-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Bad posting is bad. Bad taste is bad.

Qrazy
09-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Bad posting is bad. Bad taste is bad.

Yours is, yep. That opening sequence with his wife was so excruciatingly badly acted by both of them.

Qrazy
09-14-2012, 10:41 PM
I haven't seen this level of fanboyism for a show in a while. Even the Girls thread had a healthy dose of criticalness.

Milky Joe
09-14-2012, 10:48 PM
I am at the point where I just feel sorry for you. The hate in you is strong.

And I'm not saying that that opening scene was some Oscar-worthy shit or anything. It was fine, but I literally forgot that scene happened in the wake of what came after it. That you would come in here and fixate on the one thing that was unremarkable about the episode just smacks of being, what do you call, overly critical. Which I guess is your M.O.: MODUS OPERANDI!

Qrazy
09-14-2012, 11:25 PM
I am at the point where I just feel sorry for you. The hate in you is strong.

And I'm not saying that that opening scene was some Oscar-worthy shit or anything. It was fine, but I literally forgot that scene happened in the wake of what came after it. That you would come in here and fixate on the one thing that was unremarkable about the episode just smacks of being, what do you call, overly critical. Which I guess is your M.O.: MODUS OPERANDI!

Okay fanboy, I'll just ignore your vitriol for now... anyway, no, the whole episode was poorly acted, that was just one example. Lynch is not a very good actor in general but he's used to particularly poor effect here. The intentionally awkward beats in his scenes are sloppy and tedious. And Louie's cafe encounter with Chris Rock echoed the poorly done cafe scene with his wife. I'm not sure which was worse, I guess the one with his wife.

It's also incredible to me how much screentime CK can fill up with such little content.

Lucky
09-14-2012, 11:44 PM
I completely agree that the actress who plays his ex-wife is weak. That scene felt like I was watching an audition. I actually enjoyed Jay Leno's cameo the most.

Milky Joe
09-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Okay fanboy, I'll just ignore your vitriol for now... anyway, no, the whole episode was poorly acted, that was just one example. Lynch is not a very good actor in general but he's used to particularly poor effect here. The intentionally awkward beats in his scenes are sloppy and tedious. And Louie's cafe encounter with Chris Rock echoed the poorly done cafe scene with his wife. I'm not sure which was worse, I guess the one with his wife.

It's also incredible to me how much screentime CK can fill up with such little content.

It's like your speaking another language, or you live in a bizarro-world or something! Everything you just said is completely wrong, to me.

You don't have to listen to this obviously, but you should probably just stop watching the show, since it seems after this episode that you definitively Don't Like It, or at least where Louie has gone with it. I don't normally like to make appeals to the majority, but yours is literally the only negative opinion I've seen about that episode anywhere. Personally, it sent me into a state of excitement that's rare these days, the kind only achievable by being truly surprised and delighted by something. The laughs for me were the hardest-hitting and most satisfying I've had in awhile.

But you just go ahead and keep derisively calling me names like "fanboy" simply because I actually show enthusiasm for something instead of a constantly detached and depressing blanket ennui. I just love getting called names, about as much as I loved being in the 11th grade! I thought it only happened in political discussions anymore (Paulite, truther, etc), though. It's been a while since I've been labeled for finding enjoyment in an episode of a TV show.

I'm going to hit the submit button now and go back to pathetically taking pleasure in (some) things.

Qrazy
09-15-2012, 03:52 AM
It's like your speaking another language, or you live in a bizarro-world or something! Everything you just said is completely wrong, to me.

You don't have to listen to this obviously, but you should probably just stop watching the show, since it seems after this episode that you definitively Don't Like It, or at least where Louie has gone with it. I don't normally like to make appeals to the majority, but yours is literally the only negative opinion I've seen about that episode anywhere. Personally, it sent me into a state of excitement that's rare these days, the kind only achievable by being truly surprised and delighted by something. The laughs for me were the hardest-hitting and most satisfying I've had in awhile.

But you just go ahead and keep derisively calling me names like "fanboy" simply because I actually show enthusiasm for something instead of a constantly detached and depressing blanket ennui. I just love getting called names, about as much as I loved being in the 11th grade! I thought it only happened in political discussions anymore (Paulite, truther, etc), though. It's been a while since I've been labeled for finding enjoyment in an episode of a TV show.

I'm going to hit the submit button now and go back to pathetically taking pleasure in (some) things.

Haha, you are a joke dude.

Everything you've said here and in prior posts is pure fanboyism. You can't even hear criticism of this show without going into a tizzy. I just posted a little while back how much I enjoyed the episode where Louie decides to (sort of not) confront his dad. And I enjoy plenty of other movies and shows as well.

I'm not saying because you enjoy the show you are a fanboy. I'm saying because of the attitude you demonstrate in relation to anything having to do with this show, you are a fanboy.

Milky Joe
09-15-2012, 04:07 AM
OK, man. Enjoy being you.

Qrazy
09-15-2012, 06:56 PM
OK, man. Enjoy being you.

I will.

ledfloyd
09-21-2012, 03:16 PM
transcendent.

Milky Joe
09-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Agreed. Excellent finale to an exceptional season. Though I was sorta hoping he would get the job and we would get a season-long riff on the Larry Sanders show before he gets canned like Conan. Conan and Sanders could guest star! Ah well.

angrycinephile
09-21-2012, 08:38 PM
This wasn't the finale.

That's next week. If IMDB are to be trusted.

Milky Joe
09-21-2012, 09:05 PM
OH. Cool.

Lucky
09-22-2012, 02:11 AM
I finished watching the latest episode and was scanning through the guide listings on my TV and The Pelican Brief was just starting. How random.

Boner M
10-02-2012, 06:28 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img197/5894/fakelouie.png

Raiders
10-09-2012, 08:30 PM
First the sad Community news, now comes the announcement that Season 4 will not air until summer 2014.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/lat-et-st-louis-ck-hiatus-20121009,0,1588928.story

amberlita
11-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Watched a bunch of episodes this weekend because I was under the weather. Despite not being totally earned based on the limited number of scenes they'd had together, Louie confessing his feelings to Pamela just about knocked me over with its tender earnestness. Adorable and sweet and painful.

Sycophant
01-23-2013, 08:36 AM
The "Late Show" trilogy is one of the best things ever. It's also Rocky. Man, that was a triumph.

transmogrifier
01-23-2013, 11:29 PM
I like it, but find it hard to watch too many episodes in a row, because the tone and style gets a bit wearying after a while. Probably the perfect show to watches once a week as it airs.

Dukefrukem
04-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Holy shit. Louis is on Howard right now talking about his show.

He only gets $400K to write, direct and hire actors for each episode.

When he started he only got $200K.

He gets complete creative control and FX doesn't see the episode until it airs.

number8
04-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Yeah, he's talked about that since the beginning. They offered him more money if he would adopt a more standard TV production approach, but his bad experience with HBO made him put his foot down.

MarkJohnson
06-29-2013, 06:01 AM
Bad acting is bad.

I don't think that the acting is bad. I have also watched this show and i love this show and also acting of actors.

Robby P
09-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Finally catching up with Season 3 on Netflix. Love the episode with Parker Posey. That last scene on the rooftop has to be the highlight of the show for me.

Spun Lepton
10-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Parker Posey episode was indeed awesome in its awkwardness. It's also really cool to see Robin Williams make an appearance.

Qrazy
10-11-2013, 06:47 PM
I don't think that the acting is bad. I have also watched this show and i love this show and also acting of actors.

Do not mistake fumbled line readings and feigned earnestness for quality drama.

EyesWideOpen
03-14-2014, 02:54 AM
Back in May with 14 episodes (http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/louie-to-return-in-may-after-19-month-hiatus-1201132033/).

DavidSeven
07-07-2014, 10:55 PM
The Parker Posey episodes and 'The Late Show' arc were really tremendous.