PDA

View Full Version : Directors Consensus -- Nominate Directors

Ezee E
01-17-2008, 05:28 PM
I’ve decided to take on the work of the Directors’ Consensus unless Raiders decides he still wants to do it.

I was thinking of starting it the week of February 4th.

Basically, I’d like to restart the whole thing because I don’t have previous stats, and I’d like to keep an updated list of Best Films as well. However, I want to use mostly new filmmakers that we have not done a consensus on either, so every few weeks we may use a “classic” filmmaker just to promote revisiting films or giving us the motivation to check out a few new ones.

Anyways, nominate some filmmakers you’d like to see a consensus on. I already have a pretty good list, catering to the various tastes of the posters here, but I’m sure I might be forgetting some.

Also, how would you guys feel about something like a “Classic Monsters” week in which the movies of Werewolf, Dracula, Frankenstein, and Invisible Man are eligible? Tacky? Retarded? Let me know.

Mr. Valentine
01-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Takashi Miike
Danny Boyle

Sycophant
01-17-2008, 05:30 PM
1. The one I was really excited to do was Miike.

2. I think Raiders said he was going to get this started again for 2008. I don't know if that's still his plan.

3. Someone should bring over an archive of past consensuses. *can't do it at the moment*

Ezee E
01-17-2008, 05:41 PM
1. The one I was really excited to do was Miike.

2. I think Raiders said he was going to get this started again for 2008. I don't know if that's still his plan.

3. Someone should bring over an archive of past consensuses. *can't do it at the moment*

Miike will definitely be in this one.

Raiders can certainly take it back if he wants, but I'm fairly sure he'll be too busy.

If someone wants to archive the past consensuses, cool, but I kind of like the idea of redoing some people just to see how it looks again. As mentioned, I wouldn't redo a lot of people, maybe one a month, if that.

Raiders
01-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Did you get my PM? I'm fine with you starting this, though I thought maybe we could trade weeks back and forth. If you want to start the main thread for results, that's fine since I can edit the main post regardless of who starts the thread.

That way, I can incorporate all previous data since I have it strung out on my hard drive.

Yxklyx
01-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Hal Hartley
Guy Maddin
John Cassavetes
Richard Fleischer
Robert Wise

Ezee E
01-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Did you get my PM? I'm fine with you starting this, though I thought maybe we could trade weeks back and forth. If you want to start the main thread for results, that's fine since I can edit the main post regardless of who starts the thread.

That way, I can incorporate all previous data since I have it strung out on my hard drive.
Got it. Replied too.

When i post the directors, I'll post our names for every other week so that we know who's in charge for which particular week.

Sweet. This will be awesome.

Philosophe_rouge
01-17-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't know what was done in Year 1, so I hope there aren't any unwanted repeats.
-Ernst Lubitsch
-Fritz Lang
-William Wyler
-William Dieterle
-G.W. Pabst
-Rouben Mamoulian
-Stanley Donen
-Josef Von Sternberg

Torgo
01-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Takeshi Kitano
Andrei Tarkovsky
Wong Kar-wai
Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger
Michael Haneke

D_Davis
01-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Johnny To
Tsui Hark
Chang Cheh
Walter Hill
Jack Hill
Russ Meyer

Li Lili
01-17-2008, 07:41 PM
I would add many Asian directors, but I'm not sure if many of you are familiar with them, so I took the known ones...
Jia Zhangke (now, he's known and internationally recognized)
Chen Kaige
Zhang Yimou
Johnnie To
Wong Kar-wai
Hou Hsiao hsien
Tsai Ming-liang
Shohei Imamura
Nagisa Oshima
Sogo Ishii
Takeshi Kitano
Pen-Ek Ratanaruang

Li Lili
01-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Johnny To
Tsui Hark
Chang Cheh
I second those ones.

Spinal
01-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Peter Greenaway

I think enough of us have seen his films now.

Philosophe_rouge
01-17-2008, 07:51 PM
I want to second Michael Powell and Russ Meyer

Sycophant
01-17-2008, 07:53 PM
I'll throw my hat in for:

Johnnie To
Takeshi Kitano
Preston Sturges
Takashi Miike
Leo McCarey
M. Night Shyamalan
Noah Baumbach
Ernst Lubitsch
Albert Brooks
Kore-eda Hirokazu

I'd say Shunji Iwai or Edmond Pang as well, but I doubt if anyone's all too familiar with them. I can't remember, but didn't we do Wong Kar-Wai and Zhang Yimou already? Otherwise, I'd love to tackle them.

Dillard
01-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Some big names that haven't been done yet (after searching through year one and two):

Claude Chabrol
George Cukor
The Dardenne Brothers
Jacques Demy
Carl Theodor Dreyer
Todd Haynes
Hou Hsiao-Hsien
Shohei Imamura
Abbas Kiarostami
Mike Leigh
Louis Malle
Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Anthony Mann
Leo McCarey
Jean-Pierre Melville
Vincente Minnelli
Pier Paolo Pasolini
Otto Preminger
Nicholas Ray
Alain Resnais
John Schlesinger
Douglas Sirk
George Stevens
Seijun Suzuki
Jan Svankmajer
Bela Tarr
Jacques Tati
Jacques Tourneur
King Vidor
Luchino Visconti
Raoul Walsh
Apichatpong Weerasethakul
William Wellman
Wim Wenders
William Wyler
Edward Yang

Philosophe_rouge
01-17-2008, 08:05 PM
More seconds for
Preston Sturges
Leo McCarey
Douglas Sirk
Nicholas Ray
Jacques Demy

Li Lili
01-17-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm up for Kore-eda Hirokazu, Takashi Miike too.
But also for Shunji Iwai, Edmond Pang, that way, I will watch more by them.
Also Leo McCarey & Ernst Lubitsch, Fritz Lang but so so so long since I last saw their films...

Also I like the idea by subject/genre/orwhatever.

Stay Puft
01-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Peter Greenaway

I think enough of us have seen his films now.

I have the DVD collection of his shorts. I haven't seen any of his features.

Are we including shorts? I can't remember. I recall a length requirement when we were doing this on the old site, but I think that might have changed.

Boner M
01-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I second Leigh, Imamura, Tarkovsky, Cassavetes, N. Ray, Dardennes, Resnais, Wenders, Dreyer, Hou, Melville, Tsai, P&P, Wise, Haneke, Maddin and Hartley.

soitgoes...
01-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Sweet.

Haneke
Johnny To
Chuck Jones would be cool.

I would definitely like to see us revisit some past directors. I don't know about others, but I've seen lots of stuff in the past two years. Plus the fact there are many new members. If you guys need/want any help lemme know.

baby doll
01-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Lately I've been revisiting Roman Polanski's films. So far I've just seen Knife and the Water and Cul-de-sac, which I found underwhelming (Cul-de-sac doubly so because it recycles big chunks of Knife in the Water), but today I got The Fearless Vampire Killers from the library, and I bought Rosemary's Baby from a secondhand shop. From there, I can get Repulsion, The Tragedy of Macbeth, Chinatown, The Tenant, Tess, Frantic, The Death of the Maiden, The Ninth Gate, The Pianist and--if I'm up to it--Oliver Twist from the local library, and I can download Pirates (do I dare?) and Bitter Moon from a torrent site. I think that just leaves What?, which Jonathan Rosenbaum put on his list of his 1,000 favorite films, but I can't find it anywhere.

soitgoes...
01-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Chabrol
Boorman
Browning
Fuller
Dreyer
Kiarostami
Ki-duk Kim
Leone
Anthony Mann
Pabst