PDA

View Full Version : The Comic Book Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Watashi
11-02-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm currently done with volume 2 of Fables, and it's pretty good. Nothing mind-blowing so far, but it's a real fun concept that I hopes doesn't wear out further in.

number8
11-03-2007, 12:17 AM
I think it's a better read on trades. I was thinking of not buying it monthly anymore, because it's too overwhelming and truncated.

ledfloyd
11-03-2007, 12:31 AM
I think it's a better read on trades. I was thinking of not buying it monthly anymore, because it's too overwhelming and truncated.
i've made the same decision for pretty much the same reasons.

hang in there wats, i think around book 4 is when the mindblowing starts happening.

number8
11-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Yeh, and I think Willingham himself knows this. The book hardly ever has any cliffhangers.

Mr. Valentine
11-03-2007, 02:42 AM
The visioncomix website was having a sale so i just ordered the first two Punisher Max hardcovers for $40 shipped. I've been meaning to pick this series up in hardcover for a while now and this was a good reason too.

jenniferofthejungle
11-05-2007, 10:18 PM
I think the only Fables trade I found disappointing was Storybook Love. I moved through the series quickly so I don't remember why I wasn't too enthralled by it.

A revisit of Marvel Zombies led to a greater appreciation of that title, and now I'm curious about Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness.

Sycophant
11-05-2007, 10:21 PM
I was thinking about picking up James Sturm's America: God, Gold, and Golems blindly. Anyone agree with this choice?

jenniferofthejungle
11-08-2007, 01:07 AM
I've just started reading From Hell. I'm not crazy about the artwork so far, but I expect I will like the book anyway.

D_Davis
11-08-2007, 03:57 AM
I've just started reading From Hell. I'm not crazy about the artwork so far, but I expect I will like the book anyway.

I've always thought that the art in this book would look better much bigger. It has always reminded me of Mobeus' and Miyazaki's art, two artists whose work looks better in a larger format.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 12:19 AM
DC announced they are going to kill off Batman...or rather Bruce Wayne will die, and the cowl will be taken up by "one of the Robins".

This will take place in June/July 2008.

Scroll down for the full article (http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13)

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 12:20 AM
DC announced they are going to kill off Batman...or rather Bruce Wayne will die, and the cowl will be taken up by "one of the Robins".

This will take place in June/July 2008.

Scroll down for the full article (http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13)

Yeah right. They'll just write this away as an alternate universe during the next Crises.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Yeah right. They'll just write this away as an alternate universe during the next Crises.

I actually kind of doubt it.

DC has been murmuring about wanting a new set of heroes for a couple of years now.

Plus, Captain America has stayed dead, and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon. Brubaker's written two years' worth of Cap material without Steve Rogers.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Plus, Captain America has stayed dead, and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon. Brubaker's written two years' worth of Cap material without Steve Rogers.

But it's still Captain America. The hero's not really dead, the mask just changed...

He'll be back when the money dries up.

So, too, will Bruce Wayne.

First you kill them, rake in the dough, then you bring them back, rake in the dough. Add in a couple foil-embossed collector's covers to rake in even more dough!

I don't know...I've seen this kind of stuff happen way to often in comicdom to not be cynical about a money grab.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 12:28 AM
He'll be back when the money dries up.

So, too, will Bruce Wayne.

First you kill them, rake in the dough, then you bring them back, rake in the dough. Add in a couple foil-embossed collector's covers to rake in even more dough!

I don't know...I've seen this kind of stuff happen way to often in comicdom to not be cynical about a money grab.

No, no, I totally understand where you're coming from. I would be skeptical, too, if it weren't for things seeming to change in the superhero comic world.

I dunno...I am still a bit weary, but I'd say there's probably a 65/35 chance that he'll stay dead.

I'm at least guessing he will not be Batman anymore - I could see there being a story arc where he fakes his own death and gives one of the Robin's the cowl, acting as a mentor, sort of like the "Batman Beyond" TV series.

number8
11-09-2007, 01:35 AM
Superman and Wonder Woman both died and came back before. It's only fair to include Bats in the tradition.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Superman and Wonder Woman both died and came back before. It's only fair to include Bats in the tradition.

Do you think Bruce Wayne will come back as Batman - let alone the Batman he used to be?

I think it's possible, but I'm being honst when I say I wouldn't be surprised if he died for good.

Seriously, it's a fitting ending to his saga.

The only change I would make is giving one of the Robin's the cowl.

I'd just let Batman and his whole legend die. I think that would make all of his previous work just that much powerful - because people will then know that he really was just a man.

Also, do you think, in death, his identity will be revealed?

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 03:27 AM
The only perfect closing I can conceive of for the Batman saga is for Batman to just vanish. Not die, and nothing dramatic. Bruce Wayne and The Bats should both just move somewhere, not tell anyone, and stay a legend in the minds of the people. Now that would be awesome. The last page could just show a dark fog enveloping Batman, and as it dissipates, we see that he is gone. Not a trace. Not a word. Just a silent disappearing act into the eternal night.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 03:33 AM
The only perfect closing I can conceive of for the Batman saga is for Batman to just vanish. Not die, and nothing dramatic. Bruce Wayne and The Bats should both just move somewhere, not tell anyone, and stay a legend in the minds of the people. Now that would be awesome. The last page could just show a dark fog enveloping Batman, and as it dissipates, we see that he is gone. Not a trace. Not a word. Just a silent disappearing act into the eternal night.

I don't think Batman would vanish unless his work in Gotham was done.

And since Gotham is pretty much irreparably evil, I could only see his death stopping his crusade.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 03:38 AM
I don't think Batman would vanish unless his work in Gotham was done.

And since Gotham is pretty much irreparably evil, I could only see his death stopping his crusade.

Deaths are boring, and tired. Also, kind of stupid. He's been fighting for 50 years, against any number of bad ass foes, what can kill him? Anything they think of will be forced and contrived - why didn't the villains think of this decades ago?

He needs to just vanish, and seep into the myths of the world.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 03:40 AM
Deaths are boring, and tired. Also, kind of stupid. He's been fighting for 50 years, against any number of bad ass foes, what can kill him? Anything they think of will be forced and contrived - why didn't the villains think of this decades ago?

He needs to just vanish, and seep into the myths of the world.

Well, he is getting old. And he doesn't have powers. Sooner or later, 25 year old body building steroid junkies will be able to kick the crap out of him.

And saying he is smart enough to outdo anyone is just a terrible deus ex machina.

I don't think deaths are boring and tired if done right. I mean, most of the great superhero comics I've read that are also cited as great by critics involve the deaths of heroes.

ledfloyd
11-09-2007, 04:38 AM
how does damian play into all this?

Sycophant
11-10-2007, 03:29 AM
So, I picked up the first issue of "The Sword" today by the Luna Brothers and was quite impressed. Their website had a viewable copy of their last series, "Girls" and I was very intrigued. I'm thinking of running out and buying the first trade tomorrow. Anyone have any opinion on their work?

ledfloyd
11-10-2007, 03:48 AM
i've heard nothing but good things but have never checked them out.

i just caught up on ed brubaker's captain america run. fucking brilliant. up until the death it's really good solid A+ superhero stuff. the six issues since are just unbelievable. he somehow made a book better by killing off the titular character. with bucky poised to pick up the shield i only see this getting better. by the way, the brubaker omnibus is a beautiful book, and on amazon it's roughly the same price as buying the 5 trades. well worth the price. brubaker really deserved teh best writer eisner. between caps, daredevil and criminal i have more of his books on my pull list than anyone else. i need to check out iron fist.

number8
11-10-2007, 06:07 AM
Iron Fist is a total must, although from what I understand it's more Matt Fraction than Brubaker. Still, it's a freakin' brilliant book. Sometimes gritty, sometimes funny, but always coooool. It's Kill Bill: The Comic. I dig it a lot.

ledfloyd
11-10-2007, 06:46 AM
It's Kill Bill: The Comic.
ooh, nice. i've heard it's more fraction too but i'll take whatever little bit of brubaker i can get at this point (though his run on x-men has been underwhelming). and i've been meaning to check out fraction's work as it is.

Mr. Valentine
11-10-2007, 06:49 AM
I just finished The Hood miniseries by BKV and it was great. it's weird that i had never heard of it until The Hood popped up recently as a major player in the Marvel U. anybody interested in reading more about the origin of the guy who shot Wolverine in the balls should give it a look.

number8
11-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I read it when it first came out and liked it a lot. I really have no interest in seeing him as the new Kingpin, though.

Then again, I've stopped reading Avengers ages ago.

Saya
11-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Brubaker's work on Gotham Central is pretty awesome as well. Definitely worth checking out.

ledfloyd
11-10-2007, 11:50 AM
i wanna read the hood, but i'm waiting for a TPB. marvel's premiere hardcover format sucks. huge fan of BKV. Y: the last man might be my favorite comic, ever. ex machina and runaways aren't too shabby either.

Acapelli
11-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I read it when it first came out and liked it a lot. I really have no interest in seeing him as the new Kingpin, though.

Then again, I've stopped reading Avengers ages ago.
New Avengers is pretty much the best monthly out now, in my opinion. And what Bendis is doing with The Hood right now definitely reinforces this. Bendis may be the best writer out there today, and if not, top three.

Huge thumbs up for Gary Frank on Action Comics.

Howard the Duck is hilarious.

After waiting 2 months, only 23 pages of Y?!? WTF BKV

What does everyone think of this Ra's Al Ghul thing in Batman?

number8
11-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Bendis may be the best writer out there today, and if not, top three.

Ehhh... Not even close.

ledfloyd
11-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Ehhh... Not even close.
yeah, as much as i loved bendis's run on daredevil, and as much as i love powers, alot of his work for hire stuff leaves me cold.

megladon8
11-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Geoff Johns isn't too great either.

Like what ledfloyd just said about Bendis...he's had some good runs, but he's also had some pretty bad stuff.

I'd probably put Brubaker on my favorites list, though. Maybe not top 3, but at least top 5.

Mr. Valentine
11-10-2007, 11:19 PM
i read a ton of comics and consistency wise i'll take Brubaker, BKV and Bendis over anybody working today.

megladon8
11-10-2007, 11:24 PM
I'd put Willingham in my top 3 for sure. Fables is wonderful, and consistently so.

Mr. Valentine
11-10-2007, 11:28 PM
I'd put Willingham in my top 3 for sure. Fables is wonderful, and consistently so.

agreed but right now he's writing one book, Brubaker is doing at least 4 a month, Bendis 5 or 6+ and BKV usually has 2 or 3.

i'd put Criminal, Daredevil, Iron Fist and Captain America all by Brubaker up there right besides Fables and he's also doing the big X-Men crossover every month.

number8
11-11-2007, 12:41 AM
1. Brubaker
2. BKV
3. Garth Ennis (yes, he's still great)
4. Christos Gage
5. Gail Simone

Morrison, Rucka, Lapham, Brian Wood, Willingham, Veicht... all of them I'd rate above Bendis.

And I'm not even a Bendis hater.

megladon8
11-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Great list, number8, but I definitely wouldn't have Ennis on mine.

"Preacher" is the only thing I've read by him that I've been really impressed with. The more I think about it, the more I dislike "Fury".

number8
11-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Preacher, Hitman, and The Punisher are my three favorite series, well, ever... and his Hellblazer run was godly... So Ennis always has a spot in my top choice.

megladon8
11-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Preacher, Hitman, and The Punisher are my three favorite series, well, ever... and his Hellblazer run was godly... So Ennis always has a spot in my top choice.

I haven't read any "Hitman" or "Hellblazer".

I guess I should get on that.

number8
11-11-2007, 12:59 AM
People that have been slacking lately: Paul Dini and Neil Gaiman. At least Gaiman is doing movies and novels now... Dini's only good project right now is Madam Mirage. His Detective started out great but is now incomprehensible and has too tie-ins with his shitty Countdown.

ledfloyd
11-11-2007, 09:35 AM
1. BKV (maybe not the outright best, but certainly my personal favorite)
2. Bru
3. Alan Moore
4. Bill Willingham
5. Brian Wood

i need to check out greg rucka. jason aaron is a great up and comer. i like arvid nelson's work on rex mundi alot but have never read anything else by him. i'd probably put bendis in the top ten. kirkman, i love the walking dead, invincible is decent, but his marvel work is pretty atrocious. azzarello is really good.

soitgoes...
11-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Not sure if this (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071113/ap_on_en_ot/comics_online) is known or of interest, but I'd thought I'd post it here.

Kurosawa Fan
11-13-2007, 09:52 PM
I read Arkham Asylum today. I wasn't too impressed. I didn't care much for the artwork or the story. I thought it was a bit ridiculous.

I also read the first three issues of Preacher. I like the style. The story is out there for sure, and there are some things that don't sit well with me, but I'm intrigued and definitely looking forward to reading more.

jenniferofthejungle
11-13-2007, 09:59 PM
I read Arkham Asylum today. I wasn't too impressed. I didn't care much for the artwork or the story. I thought it was a bit ridiculous.

I also read the first three issues of Preacher. I like the style. The story is out there for sure, and there are some things that don't sit well with me, but I'm intrigued and definitely looking forward to reading more.

I liked Arkham, even though the Joker's dialogue was difficult to read.

Preacher is cool. ;)

I just finished the second TPB of George Perez's Wonder Woman run. I love it. I love the stories and the artwork so far.

Mr. Valentine
11-13-2007, 10:23 PM

i think Arkham Asylum is a good book but yeah it's not even in my top ten or fifteen Batman stories.

D_Davis
11-13-2007, 10:54 PM
I just finished the second TPB of George Perez's Wonder Woman run. I love it. I love the stories and the artwork so far.

"George Perez" and "awesome artwork" are synonymous terms.

D_Davis
11-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Not sure if this (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071113/ap_on_en_ot/comics_online) is known or of interest, but I'd thought I'd post it here.

This is cool. When I collected comics, I did a lot of my shopping at the local 7-11. They had a huge selection of titles.

D_Davis
11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
I think the best comics writer working today is Chester Brown.

jenniferofthejungle
11-14-2007, 07:28 AM
"George Perez" and "awesome artwork" are synonymous terms.

I'm a newbie, Daniel,

ledfloyd
11-14-2007, 07:45 AM
I think the best comics writer working today is Chester Brown.
outside the main stream i don't know if anyone is better than Daniel Clowes or Chris Ware. i like Joe Matt and Seth along with Chester as well.

Preacher is a little overwhelming at first, but once you fall into the groove there's nothing like it.

D_Davis
11-14-2007, 12:54 PM
outside the main stream i don't know if anyone is better than Daniel Clowes or Chris Ware.

Chester Brown is.

Acapelli
11-14-2007, 07:05 PM
What I got today:

All Star Superman #9
Fables #67
Nightwing #138
Simon Dark #2
Mice Templar #2
Avengers: Initiative #7
Marvel Comics Presents #3
New Avengers #36
Punisher #52
Punisher War Journal #13
Spider-Man/Red Sonja #4

Kurosawa Fan
11-14-2007, 07:14 PM
I also got a haul today:

30 Days of Night
Eightball
Fight for Tomorrow
Fortune and Glory
Girls
Hawaiian Dick
The Hood
I Never Liked You
Kinetic
Meltdown
Mnemovore
Thessaly

Sycophant
11-14-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm slowly becoming "into comics." I'm reading the first collection of Fables right now and am really excited about picking up the second issue of The Sword tonight.

I'm thinking I need at least another book or two to collect.

Acapelli
11-14-2007, 07:57 PM
That's how I started out just a few months ago. Just Fables and Y. Look at me now, hehe.

Kurosawa Fan
11-14-2007, 08:00 PM
That's how I started out just a few months ago. Just Fables and Y. Look at me now, hehe.

Mine was Ex Machina. :)

number8
11-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I embrace you all with warm milk from my teats.

Kurosawa Fan
11-14-2007, 08:47 PM

This is both appealing and disturbing. I'll have to think this over.

jenniferofthejungle
11-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Mine was Ex Machina. :)

Stupid library system only had the first trade so I gave it up after that, but it was fascinating stuff.

I carefully read my 30 Days of Night again today. I still love it, but it's a bother to have to be so careful with the pages.

Sycophant
11-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanksgiving came early this year!

Mr. Valentine
11-15-2007, 02:01 AM
my daily pickups:

World War Hulk #5 (what a pointless series)
The Atheist #4 (it only took a year and a half for issue 4 to be released)
Wonder Woman #14
Batman & Outsiders #1
Salvation Run #1
All Star Superman #9
Punisher War Journal #13
Avengers: Initiative 7
New Avengers #36

EvilShoe
11-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Didn't anyone pick up Scott Pilgrim gets it together today?

I pre-ordered, but probably won't get to read it till next week. :cry:

Sycophant
11-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Didn't anyone pick up Scott Pilgrim gets it together today?

I pre-ordered, but probably won't get to read it till next week. :cry:
Can I pick this up without reading the other volumes or should I wait?

EvilShoe
11-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Can I pick this up without reading the other volumes or should I wait?
You should probably wait, since all volumes are connected.
Get the first one and see if you like it, the rest is more of the same. (It's all very fun/funny stuff).

Saya
11-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Has anyone picked up the new volume of Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? I didn't know it was coming out this week.

http://www.dccomics.com/media/covers/5977_400x600.jpg

number8
11-15-2007, 10:48 PM
My haul this week:

The Un-Men #4
Suicide Squad #3
Fables #67
All-Star Superman #9
Wonder Woman #14
Punisher MAX #52

And ordering Black Dossier online...

number8
11-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Punisher 52 = Why Garth Ennis is #2 on my list.

Sycophant
11-16-2007, 12:19 AM
So, Guy Delisle, who did the graphic memoir Pyongyang (which I loved) apparently has a new, similar tale out called Shenzhen. Anyone checked it out yet?

Mysterious Dude
11-17-2007, 12:26 AM
I checked out three Will Eisner books from the library today:

A Contract With God
To the Heart of the Storm
The Name of the Game

A Contract With God is the first book to ever be called a "graphic novel".

Acapelli
11-17-2007, 06:19 AM
Picked up the first volume of Top Ten today.

Mr. Valentine
11-21-2007, 05:55 PM
today's purchases:

Detective Comics #838
Captain America #32
Ex Machina #32
Grendel: Behold the Devil #1 (they were giving out free to boxholders at my comicbook store, never read any Grendel before but this book was great so i'll definitely try to pick up some of the older stuff)
Shadowpact #19
She Hulk #23
The Umbrella Academy #3
American Virgin TPB Vol. 3

Acapelli
11-21-2007, 09:07 PM
today's purchases:

Detective Comics #838
Captain America #32
Ex Machina #32
Grendel: Behold the Devil #1 (they were giving out free to boxholders at my comicbook store, never read any Grendel before but this book was great so i'll definitely try to pick up some of the older stuff)
Shadowpact #19
She Hulk #23
The Umbrella Academy #3
American Virgin TPB Vol. 3
I was having second thoughts about picking up grendel, but you fully convinced me.

Acapelli
11-21-2007, 10:50 PM
What I picked up:

Grendel: Behold the Devil #1
Action Comics #859
Detective Comics #838
The Boys #12
Invincible #46
Captain America #32
Powers #27
She-Hulk #23

ledfloyd
11-24-2007, 11:20 AM
big week this week

powers 27
ex machina 32
walking dead 44
caps 32

four titles is a big week for me, as i only pick up about 8 or so books monthly.

and they all kicked ass

Watashi
11-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Today and Tomorrow are 50% off everything for Border's employees.

I bought:

Fables #3
Y: The Last Man #2
Y: The Last Man #3
Pride of Baghdad

I also bought Pan's Labyrinth for 5 bucks.

I want to get into some Marvel/DC stuff, but nothing looks too enticing. I could get the nice hardback of the entire Brubaker Captain America run for a cool 40 bucks (it's normally 80).

I'll go back tomorrow to maybe pick up some more Y and Fables (the only current trades I'm reading now). My Borders has a pretty large collection, so I'm sure what you recommened, they will have it.

Mr. Valentine
11-26-2007, 04:23 AM
Runaways is a fantastic series that is mostly self contained but occasionally has run ins with the current Marvel Universe.

DMZ and The Walking Dead are both also great.

Watashi
11-26-2007, 04:27 AM
This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but is it better to get the individual comics or the volumes? I live near a comic book shop, but I never go there, and I usually just buy the volumes anyway because they are neat and easily designed.

ledfloyd
11-26-2007, 05:27 AM
This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but is it better to get the individual comics or the volumes? I live near a comic book shop, but I never go there, and I usually just buy the volumes anyway because they are neat and easily designed.

it's personal preference. really the only advantage to buying singles is you get em quicker, once you get caught up with the trades you have to wait six months or so for a new one. trades are usually slightly cheaper. sometimes, but less and less it seems, the singles have letter columns or editorial stuff in the back. i enjoy the backmatter in powers, dark tower and criminal. in most of the other comics i read it's not much of a factor. i buy singles of a few things cause i can't wait (y, ex machina, walking dead) and/or i have a silly collector's mentality (dd, runaways). other stuff i wait for the trades. generally stuff with a higher reread value i want in trade cause it's easier than reading a stack of singles, and easier to loan out to friends. then again, dead, powers, criminal, y, and ex machina are all pretty damn rereadable, so i'm not sure there's any real logic to my actions.

Mr. Valentine
11-26-2007, 10:38 AM
yep, pretty much. i usually buy individual issues for the stuff that's going on currently in Marvel/DC universes and buy TPB's of the various miniseries or other company books (Vertigo, etc.). i bag and board all of my individual comics after reading them so having an actual book on my book shelf makes it easier to go back and read a storyline. i usually buy the individual issues and the TPB's of the writers/artists are i'm really big fans of like Brubaker and BKV.

EvilShoe
11-26-2007, 02:41 PM
The Walking Dead: Volume 5 is probably the series' best volume yet.
Almost as good as Romero's Night & Dawn.

Acapelli
11-27-2007, 12:58 AM
What the fuck is wrong with Grant Morrison.

number8
11-27-2007, 03:41 AM

Nothing. Nothing at all.

megladon8
11-27-2007, 04:11 AM

I don't know...what do you think is wrong with him?

He happens to be one of my favorites.

Acapelli
11-27-2007, 04:34 AM
Well I just read Seaguy and am reading his run on Doom Patrol, it's brilliant stuff, but definitely nothing like I've read before.

ledfloyd
11-27-2007, 06:59 AM
yep, pretty much. i usually buy individual issues for the stuff that's going on currently in Marvel/DC universes and buy TPB's of the various miniseries or other company books (Vertigo, etc.). i bag and board all of my individual comics after reading them so having an actual book on my book shelf makes it easier to go back and read a storyline. i usually buy the individual issues and the TPB's of the writers/artists are i'm really big fans of like Brubaker and BKV.
i buy singles and trades of y: the last man, ex machina, powers, walking dead, and criminal. they're just that good. it's odd, singles seem better for superhero stuff. runaways, caps, and DD i buy in singles. but more "serious" books seem to read better in trade. like fables or something.

and there is nothing wrong with grant morrison. dude actually made me excited to read superman, which anyone that knows me would admit is an insane feat.

Acapelli
11-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Wow, has he done anything like he's done on Doom Patrol, We3, or Seaguy on his runs of AS Supes and Batman?

And I just found out that the seies Bendis wrote called Alias isn't related to the television show. Pretty great so far.

number8
11-27-2007, 07:58 PM
He's done some wacky stuff on All-Star Supes, but nothing like Seaguy or Doom Patrol. Try Invisibles for the same brand of Morrisonism.

His New X-Men run was pretty out there too. He had an issue with no dialogue portraying a fight between the fetuses of Professor X and his twin sister in their mother's womb.

Mr. Valentine
11-28-2007, 09:35 PM
picked up some more stuff in the last few days with borders coupons and comic book store sales:

Fell TPB Vol. 1
The Walking Dead (Hardcover) Vol. 2
Jack of Fables TPB Vol. 2
Grendel: Devil by the Deed (Hardcover)

so far i read the Fell and Grendel books both were fantastic.

Acapelli
11-29-2007, 07:18 PM
American Virgin #21
Batman #671
Faker #5
Green Lantern Corps #18
Superman Annual #13
Madman Atomic Comics #5
Cable & Deadpool #47
Daredevil #102
Marvel Zombies 2 #2
Sensational Spider-Man #41

My shop only had the variant Spidey. :evil:

Mr. Valentine
11-29-2007, 10:25 PM
today's pick ups:

Crime Bible #2
Gotham Underground #2
Daredevil #102
Batman & the Outsiders #2
Batman #671
All Star Batman & Robin #8 (pure awesomeness/best book of the week)

number8
11-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Never thought I'd like a non-laughing Joker, but it works so well in context.

Watashi
12-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Brad Bird needs to direct a Pixar-adapted Pride of Baghdad.

Like, now.

ledfloyd
12-01-2007, 09:02 PM

Like, now.

oh god dude. brad bird + BKV. i think i'd cream myself.

Sycophant
12-01-2007, 09:51 PM
The amount of posts on this board that contain both Brad Bird and ejaculation is sometimes disturbing.

megladon8
12-01-2007, 11:06 PM

Like, now.

That is such a beautiful book.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Mr. Valentine
12-05-2007, 10:42 PM
today's pickups:

Northlanders #1
Avengers: The Initative Annual #1
The Ultimates 3 #1
Justice League of America #15
Justice Society of America #11

number8
12-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Only picked up Vinyl Underground #3.

Read Ultimates at the shop. Awful.

Mr. Valentine
12-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Only picked up Vinyl Underground #3.

Read Ultimates at the shop. Awful.

yeah, Ultimates was blehhh. the dialogue was awful and you couldn't tell what was going on half the time due to the murky art.

number8
12-06-2007, 12:06 AM
They should've just made the entire issue the whole Tony Stark/Black Widow sex tape. Madureira draws hot nekkid girls.

Acapelli
12-06-2007, 07:39 PM
JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #11
ROBIN #169
Invincible #47
HOWARD THE DUCK # 3
Kabuki (Allred Variant) #9
OMEGA: THE UNKNOWN # 3

ledfloyd
12-06-2007, 11:08 PM
today's pickups:

Northlanders #1
Avengers: The Initative Annual #1
The Ultimates 3 #1
Justice League of America #15
Justice Society of America #11

how's northlanders? haven't been to the shop to pick it up yet.

number8
12-06-2007, 11:48 PM
I read half of Northlanders and didn't really like it.

D_Davis
12-11-2007, 09:15 PM
I just picked up the Dark Tower comic. Looking forward to reading it.

monolith94
12-11-2007, 10:43 PM
http://www.comics101.com/comics101//?mode=project&action=view&project=Comics%20101&chapter=46

Grant Morrison is cool.

ledfloyd
12-11-2007, 11:40 PM
I just picked up the Dark Tower comic. Looking forward to reading it.
i enjoyed it. a nice visualization of the book. series two starts up in march. which i think is new material that wasn't in the books.

D_Davis
12-12-2007, 01:09 AM
i enjoyed it. a nice visualization of the book. series two starts up in march. which i think is new material that wasn't in the books.

Cool. I would much rather read new stuff, as Roland's past is my least favorite part of the entire saga. The art is really nice.

ledfloyd
12-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Cool. I would much rather read new stuff, as Roland's past is my least favorite part of the entire saga. The art is really nice.
yeah, richard isanove's paints are awesome.

and i think the "new" stuff is supposed to fill in the blanks between wizard and glass and the beginning of the gunslinger. i'm not sure though. i know the next one is the road back to gilead directly after this series.

number8
12-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Started reading Alan Moore's Miracleman. Brillllllll.

number8
12-12-2007, 08:57 AM
'Crime and Punishment', adapted into a Batman comic (http://againwiththecomics.blogspot.co m/2007/08/batman-by-dostoyevsky.html)

If you can't appreciate this, you have no soul.

lovejuice
12-12-2007, 05:44 PM
'Crime and Punishment', adapted into a Batman comic (http://againwiththecomics.blogspot.co m/2007/08/batman-by-dostoyevsky.html)

If you can't appreciate this, you have no soul.

keeeewt!

i love robin as sonia with that dress. :lol:

never in a million years will i think i'll have a batman avatar. :P

EvilShoe
12-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Anyone got any comic books to recommend? Preferably something that's been collected in (a) volume(s).

(I'm going to London next week, and since I have enough money exchanged I plan on buying some stuff that's harder to find here.)

Stuff I enjoy: Ex Machina, The Walking Dead, Y: The Last Man, Scott Pilgrim, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Sandman, Preacher, etc...

Acapelli
12-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Well I'd definitely recommend Fables. Also Powers and Runaways.

My pickups:
FABLES #68
GREEN LANTERN #25
GREEN LANTERN CORPS #19
NIGHTWING #139
SIMON DARK #3
The Boys #13
MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS # 4
NEW AVENGERS # 37
PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL # 14
SPIDER-MAN/RED SONJA # 5

Green Lantern was so good.

number8
12-13-2007, 05:56 AM
:eek:

Wow.

Miracleman #15 is one of the most amazing things I have ever read.

EvilShoe
12-13-2007, 07:05 AM
I already have Runaways and Fables, actually. Although I quit at volume 2 with Fables. Didn't care much for it. Maybe I'll continue it if I find volume 3.
Powers sounds interesting.

Has anyone here read (or heard any word on) "Can't Get No"? It sounds rather interesting and I've come across it on several occasions.
http://www.avclub.com/content/files/images/Can%27t-Get-No.jpg

ledfloyd
12-14-2007, 02:08 AM
can't get no is pretty decent. it's told in a very odd style which i could see being off putting to some. it's more or less an illustrated poem.

as far as some other stuff to recommend. persepolis, maus, fun home, jimmy corrigan. some indier stuff than the other recs. i'm also a huge fan of powers.

i picked up fables, dmz, and walking dead this week. walking dead was awesome, kirkman is ruthless.

number8
12-15-2007, 12:44 AM
They just revealed that Ghost Rider is really an angel all along.

Huh. I don't know what to make of that.

Mr. Valentine
12-15-2007, 12:56 AM
Daniel Way is responsible for 2 of the worst Marvel books being released every month I don't think anyone is paying much attention to the changes he's making.

number8
12-15-2007, 01:11 AM
I believe this twist is going to disappear as quickly as the whole Punisher Agent of Heaven thing.

By the way, Suicide Squad #4 is easily the book of the week, even with The Boys. I love this series to death.

number8
12-16-2007, 02:25 AM
JLA: Heaven's Ladder.

The JLA fights God.

Awesome.

megladon8
12-16-2007, 02:35 AM
JLA: Heaven's Ladder.

The JLA fights God.

Awesome.

Is it literally God, or is it like Star Trek V where it's God, but not really God, because it's Spock's brother, but everyone knows it's supposed to be God?

number8
12-16-2007, 02:41 AM
It's about this race, who's the oldest race in the universe, trying to create an artificial Heaven, but ends up creating a giant omnipotent being who has the power of creation.

So yeah, I guess literally God.

megladon8
12-16-2007, 02:52 AM
It's about this race, who's the oldest race in the universe, trying to create an artificial Heaven, but ends up creating a giant omnipotent being who has the power of creation.

So yeah, I guess literally God.

Hmmm, sounds good.

That race must feel pretty damn stupid :)

number8
12-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Spike TV is turning this into an animated show: :eek:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gdgx1h2LL._SS500_.jpg

Sycophant
12-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Spike TV
I know nothing of the mentioned property, but those two words are where you lost me.

Acapelli
12-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Spike TV is turning this into an animated show: :eek:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gdgx1h2LL._SS500_.jpg
Flipped through this once at the comics shop. :eek: indeed.

Sycophant
12-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I just got Shortcomings and the TPB of the Luna Brothers' Ultra: Seven Days. I'm stoked.

ledfloyd
12-17-2007, 10:13 PM
shortcomings is great.

Saya
12-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Just read the first two TPB's of Lucifer. It's a continuation of the storyline of Lucifer from the Sandman universe. The first TPB was ok, I thought it tried to cram a bit too much information in the first two stories. The second TPB, Children and Monsters, was better. The art looks nicer and it sets up a big epic story.

Watashi
12-20-2007, 02:14 AM
I'm only half-way through it, but Marvels is slowly rivaling Watchmen as one of my favorite graphic novels ever.

Mr. Valentine
12-20-2007, 02:41 AM
I'm only half-way through it, but Marvels is slowly rivaling Watchmen as one of my favorite graphic novels ever.

yeah it's pretty amazing.

Mr. Valentine
12-20-2007, 04:56 PM
my pickups this week:

Grendel: Behold the Devil #2
Umbrella Academy #4
She-Hulk #24
Mighty Avengers #6
Justice League of America #16
Immortal Iron Fist #11
Ex Machina #33
Detective Comics #839
Batman & Outsiders #3

transmogrifier
12-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Comic books I read:

Calvin and Hobbes.

The end.

Watashi
12-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Comic books I read:

Calvin and Hobbes.

The end.
That would be a comic strip.

Acapelli
12-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Wats, you should read Astro City.

My haul:

Grendel Behold The Devil #2
DETECTIVE COMICS #839
Madame Mirage #4
CABLE & DEADPOOL # 48
IMMORTAL IRON FIST # 11
SHE-HULK # 24
WHAT IF? CIVIL WAR # 1

transmogrifier
12-20-2007, 11:46 PM
That would be a comic strip.

No, THAT would be me taking my clothes off.

Kurosawa Fan
12-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Comic books I read:

Calvin and Hobbes.

The end.

No Dilbert? It's not as good as Calvin and Hobbes (nothing is), but it's definitely worth reading.

Sycophant
12-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Both by the Luna Brothers, I started Girls and Ultra: Seven Days TPBs last night. I think I love these guys.

transmogrifier
12-21-2007, 01:54 AM
No Dilbert? It's not as good as Calvin and Hobbes (nothing is), but it's definitely worth reading.

I like Dilbert and Doonesbury well enough, but Calvin and Hobbes is the only comic strip I own in book form.

ledfloyd
12-22-2007, 06:07 AM
whoa. marvels is good stuff. but don't say the W word around it. jeez.

number8
12-22-2007, 07:06 AM
Hilarious:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4033/supermanbatman441ps8.jpg

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4783/supermanbatman442sb2.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/354/supermanbatman443sf4.jpg

EvilShoe
12-25-2007, 08:48 AM
I picked up volume 3 of Fables.
Liked this a lot more than the previous ones, I just might continue with the series.

Sycophant
12-27-2007, 05:12 AM
Shortcomings is wonderful.

Acapelli
12-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Ugh, why are comics out on Friday.

Saya
12-27-2007, 03:43 PM
I've read the entire Lucifer run in the last couple days. Great stuff. It's right up there with Sandman for me.

Thirdy
12-27-2007, 08:06 PM

Indeed -- it's probably my favourite of all time (even though admittedly I haven't read a whole lot). Thanks to my little brother.

Acapelli
12-29-2007, 04:18 AM
Today's pick-ups:

ACTION COMICS #860
BATMAN #672
GREEN LANTERN #26
Green Lantern Sinestro Corps Secret Files #1
Invincible Presents Atom Eve #1
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 545
AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE # 8
Captain America #33
DAREDEVIL # 103
Marvel Zombies 2 #3
PUNISHER # 53

Acapelli
12-29-2007, 06:26 AM
What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way may be my favorite Supes comic.

Sycophant
12-30-2007, 06:49 AM
Reading The Complete Peanuts: 1950 to 1954 has proved even more wonderful than I'd expected. I always liked Peanuts, even the last few years that weren't great, but this stuff is positively amazing. The rest of the books just became priority.

Also, polished off the first volume of Girls. Wild stuff. I regret not picking up the second book when I was out today. I'll have to run over tomorrow.

trotchky
01-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Shortcomings is good but probably my least favorite thing Tomine has written; the story and characters are too safe and conventional; its navalgazing indie romance; you guys would be criticizing the shit out of this if it were a movie; I prefer the delicate ambiguity of Bomb Threat, for example.

Oh yeah, and Joe Matt sucks.

Oh also: can we all agree that Eightball #23 is up there with Ghost World and Caricature as Clowes' best work?

I also picked up The Book of Other People recently; Clowes' story is fantastic (as always).

Sycophant
01-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Shortcomings is good but probably my least favorite thing Tomine has written; the story and characters are too safe and conventional; its navalgazing indie romance; you guys would be criticizing the shit out of this if it were a movie; I prefer the delicate ambiguity of Bomb Threat, for example.
I disagree with the highlighted. I haven't picked up anything else by Tomine yet, but I really want to pick up the Optic Nerve collection and will soon.

trotchky
01-03-2008, 12:36 AM
I disagree with the highlighted. I haven't picked up anything else by Tomine yet, but I really want to pick up the Optic Nerve collection and will soon.

I'm admittedly being harsh; it just isn't nearly as daring (or challenging) as some of the other stuff he's done.

P.S. You should read Summer Blonde.

Acapelli
01-03-2008, 03:17 AM
Ugh, why are comics out on Friday.

Also, I'll be picking up the first All-Star Superman hardcover. Can't wait to read it, especially since I loved the last two issues I've picked up.

ledfloyd
01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
i'm reading brian k vaughan's the escapists. and it's one of my favorite things he's ever done.

Mr. Valentine
01-03-2008, 11:25 PM
i'm reading brian k vaughan's the escapists. and it's one of my favorite things he's ever done.

:pritch:

ledfloyd
01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
yeah, i just finished it. it might be one of the best comics i've ever read. i can't think of any i enjoyed that much. it's ridiculously deep too. not just escapist fun.

Acapelli
01-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Issue 6 of ASS is heart-breaking. Especially the moment where he yells how he can save everyone.

number8
01-04-2008, 09:37 AM
This One More Day crap is such a giant clusterfuck.

Is Marvel even functioning anymore? Jesus Christ.

Mr. Valentine
01-04-2008, 10:18 PM
This One More Day crap is such a giant clusterfuck.

Is Marvel even functioning anymore? Jesus Christ.

i don't read Spider-Man but yeah i read what happens and it's pretty stupid.

i missed out on getting to the shop last week so heres two weeks worth of what i picked up:

Avengers: Initative #8
Batman #672
Captain America #33
Crime Bible #3
Daredevil #103
Detective Comics #840
Gotham Underground #3
Northlanders #2
Shadowpact #20

i also picked up both the Ultimates 2 Hardcover and the Escapists hardcover even though i own all the individual issues.

number8
01-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Did you read JMS's rant on Newsarama though? I feel bad for the guy. I used to rag on him mercilessly because of Sins Past, but now I found out that it was Joe Quesada's idea all along and JMS had always wanted to retcon that story out of existence and never allowed the chance. I feel guilty.

Mr. Valentine
01-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Did you read JMS's rant on Newsarama though? I feel bad for the guy. I used to rag on him mercilessly because of Sins Past, but now I found out that it was Joe Quesada's idea all along and JMS had always wanted to retcon that story out of existence and never allowed the chance. I feel guilty.

yep i read it, it's pretty rare when you have a huge storyline like this come out and the writer is trying to get his name removed from it.

Acapelli
01-05-2008, 02:27 AM
As much as I think having Mephisto essentially "divorce" MJ and Pete, I'm really looking forward to Brand New Day.

DETECTIVE COMICS #840
HOWARD THE DUCK # 4
OMEGA: THE UNKNOWN # 4
THUNDERBOLTS # 118

Thunderbolts was one of the best (current) books I read in weeks. Ellis is really on the ball with this title.

number8
01-05-2008, 04:39 AM
It's the secret identity and Harry thing that bothers me.

Okay, Joey Q hates the Spidey marriage and wants Peter single again. We've got 20 years worth of Peter and MJ married stories, so fine, I can deal with that. Personally I like the fact that he's married, but I can accept a single Peter easily. Penniless, living with Aunt May again? Awesome. It was a sucky idea to have them living in Avengers tower anyway. Go back to basics. This is good.

The secret identity being back, I know it'll eventually happen, but so soon? They were so fucking excited when they did it, saying it'll be a status quo change and will offer different kinds of Spidey stories now that he's "out", but look what happened. Joey Q should admit that the only reason they unmasked Spidey was to make Yahoo and CNN headlines, when they didn't have a solid plan for the future (unlike Brubaker, who's actually doing something great with Cap's death). Now they've run out and had to cover their ass again.

Bringing Harry back to life? That's just completely unnecessary and nonsensical. Seriously, is there ANY reason at all to do this? This seems like it would make more interesting for Norman over at Thunderbolts than Spidey. The only reason they did it is to have the classic core supporting characters, and that's just lazy. Motherfuckers even tried to resurrect gwen Stacy for god's sake.

Acapelli
01-05-2008, 05:16 AM
Yeah, my only problem is how the hell is this supposed to work with the rest of the Marvel U, especially with New Avengers.

I think the Norman/Harry thing is gonna be great, since Norman is already going batshit crazy over on T-bolts. And Jackpot (Mary Jane) and Spidey's banter during their inevitable showdown will be an interesting dynamic.

I'm still relatively new to comics, so the Spidey I'm familiar with is the young, single one.

jenniferofthejungle
01-07-2008, 10:51 PM
The Walking Dead vol 5: The Best Defense was freaking amazing. I had enjoyed vol 4, even though some of my friends thought it wasn't good at all, but this book makes that one seem almost retarded.

D_Davis
01-07-2008, 11:13 PM
The Walking Dead vol 5: The Best Defense was freaking amazing. I had enjoyed vol 4, even though some of my friends thought it wasn't good at all, but this book makes that one seem almost retarded.

I love the first half of book 1, before the artist changed. I just don't dig the art much after the first few issues. The story is good, but I miss the original artist's work, a lot.

jenniferofthejungle
01-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I love the first half of book 1, before the artist changed. I just don't dig the art much after the first few issues. The story is good, but I miss the original artist's work, a lot.

I was bothered by the fact that the two lead male characters looked so similar.

I also read Daredevil for the first time yesterday and I really loved it. It's made me want to search for the older volumes. It was vol 1 of the Frank Miller (good God, I wrote Frank Moore there and had to correct myself) run. I really enjoyed it and will consider buying those later on.

ledfloyd
01-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I also read Daredevil for the first time yesterday and I really loved it. It's made me want to search for the older volumes. It was vol 1 of the Frank Miller (good God, I wrote Frank Moore there and had to correct myself) run. I really enjoyed it and will consider buying those later on.
after you read miller's run, look for bendis's. in alot of ways i think it's better. brubaker's current run isn't to shabby either.

number8
01-09-2008, 12:07 AM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j145/besamim/scans_daily/ch_foolishamazon.jpg

number8
01-09-2008, 03:22 AM
Uh... that last page of Ex Machina #33....

I knew it was coming for a long time, but it still almost knocked me off my chair.

ledfloyd
01-09-2008, 03:49 AM
Uh... that last page of Ex Machina #33....

I knew it was coming for a long time, but it still almost knocked me off my chair.
you're killing me. i'm waiting for trade.

Melville
01-09-2008, 03:58 AM
Is anybody here familiar with Shintaro Kago? I just read an awesome comic by him called Abstraction. It's a breathtakingly experimental mix of sex and the grotesque. Check it out at the bottom of this page (http://samehat.blogspot.com/search/label/shintaro%20kago). (Warning: not safe for work, unless you want to get bewildered and /or horrified stares.)

number8
01-09-2008, 04:29 AM
Not him, but I love the stuff that gets posted on Same Hat. It's where I get my horror manga fix.

number8
01-10-2008, 02:35 AM
:D

http://evilgiraffe.dreamhost.com/graphics/scans/jackpot_NO.jpg

number8
01-10-2008, 02:56 AM
Has anyone else read Trouble?

I read it a few years ago and it was one of the most awful things I've ever read. I just recently found out that the writer, Mark Millar, is so sorry for how bad the book is that he still regularly apologizes by pulling out his wallet and paying back anyone who claims to have bought the book when it came out.

Mr. Valentine
01-10-2008, 05:40 PM
this weeks pickups:

Hulk #1 (Loeb's Marvel stuff has been garbage but i'll give this a chance)
Salvation Run #3
Punisher: War Journal #15
Mighty Avengers #7
Punisher MAX: From First to Last (hardcover)

i also picked up It's a Bird... from a used book store which i've been wanting to read for a long time.

megladon8
01-11-2008, 02:41 AM
I've officially cancelled all my comic book subscriptions, and I am just going to buy trades from now on.

It's a huge money saver, and I like the format much better. Plus, there's no enormous "value" in trades, so if it gets damaged/lost/stolen, you can replace it easily and not have to worry about "damnit, that was a first printing!"

Acapelli
01-11-2008, 02:46 AM
I thought that comics pretty much have no value nowadays? I don't think anyone really cares anymore about having first printing's, other than you know, just having them when they're out.

megladon8
01-11-2008, 02:48 AM
I thought that comics pretty much have no value nowadays? I don't think anyone really cares anymore about having first printing's, other than you know, just having them when they're out.

Yes I know that, but I do have some recent comics which are very valuable - #1-3 (plus all variants) of "Astonishing X-Men", all signed by Cassaday and Whedon; #1 of the 1990s "X-Men" series signed by Stan Lee, etc.

I generally just find the trade format much more convenient - and since like 99% of trades come with all the covers reprinted on the inside, it's not like I'm missing anything.

EvilShoe
01-11-2008, 04:50 AM
January.
Still waiting for Scott Pilgrim 4 to arrive.

Fuck you, play.com

ledfloyd
01-11-2008, 04:55 AM
I generally just find the trade format much more convenient - and since like 99% of trades come with all the covers reprinted on the inside, it's not like I'm missing anything.
unless you read criminal (which you should, cause it kicks ass) in which case the articles in the back about crime fiction and crime movies are worth the price of the book alone.

megladon8
01-11-2008, 04:58 AM
unless you read criminal (which you should, cause it kicks ass) in which case the articles in the back about crime fiction and crime movies are worth the price of the book alone.

Those aren't included in the trades?

number8
01-11-2008, 08:16 AM
There's really only 2 reasons why I buy monthlies:

1. I like to support a book I like. I'm just always scared of titles being canceled due to poor sales because too many people waited for the trades.

2. You never know what gets collected in trades. For big titles with a continuing story, it's a given, but there are titles I'm glad I bought the single issues of because they're still not collected in trades. Plus, books with single-issue stories like Dini's Detective, you never know what issues get left out, if they're even collected at all.

ledfloyd
01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Those aren't included in the trades?
no, brubaker has said it's to reward the people who buy monthlies and not to punish the tradewaiters. but i think it could be interpreted either way.

Acapelli
01-11-2008, 08:49 PM
1. I like to support a book I like. I'm just always scared of titles being canceled due to poor sales because too many people waited for the trades.
This is my main reason.

Acapelli
01-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Have any of you guys seen that tribute to Stan Lee?

http://www.1988stantheman.blogspot.co m/

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news/article.asp/aid/6584/tcid/1/pg/1

The first link is much better.

number8
01-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Yeah I saw that a couple of days ago, and my first thought was "why are Wolverine and Captain America there?"

*is purist*

megladon8
01-12-2008, 02:07 AM
I just tend to get carried away with my subscriptions.

I always have like 14 titles I'm buying monthly...so I want to stop doing that.

Plus, I always seem to be buying the wrong titles. I'll hear that a certain title is great, and start buying that one, and it's always right when I start buying that title that it starts going downhill.

Or vice versa...I'll be buying a title and really get fed up with how bad it's getting, and like one or two months after I cancel my subscription, it starts getting great again.

So I figure I'll just eliminate this by only buying the trades.

I'm sure eventually I'll get back into buying monthlies when I have a more consistent, dependable income. But right now it just doesn't make monetary sense.

EvilShoe
01-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Maus was a terrific read. I like how it's not just about the past, but the present is included in it as well.

megladon8
01-12-2008, 10:36 PM
So...what's the story behind Hulk being red all of a sudden?

Is Hulk no longer Bruce Banner or something? Or did something happen to him?

Mr. Valentine
01-13-2008, 12:13 AM
So...what's the story behind Hulk being red all of a sudden?

Is Hulk no longer Bruce Banner or something? Or did something happen to him?

it's only been the first issue of the series so theirs no definite answers yet but it's not Bruce Banner it's a seperate Hulk and in the first issue it's led to believe that Rick Jones is the Red Hulk.

Skitch
01-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I got Kraven's Last Hunt for Christmas, and I just ordered Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke, and Asylum.

Saya
01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
The first trade ofThe Boys by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson was hilariously awesome. I'll definitely keep checking this out.

number8
01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
An example of great visual storytelling:

http://unnecessaryg.com/lj/spec141-09.jpg

http://unnecessaryg.com/lj/spec141-10.jpg

http://unnecessaryg.com/lj/speccomp.jpg

http://unnecessaryg.com/lj/speccompspeculation.jpg

This is the stuff that a lot of aspiring comic artists don't take seriously enough.

Mr. Valentine
01-17-2008, 12:04 AM
today's pickups:

Fell #9
Grendel: Behold the Devil #3
Justice League of America #17
Immortal Iron Fist #12
Umbrella Academy #5

and the Fight for Tomorrow TPB (blind buy).

Acapelli
01-17-2008, 12:50 AM
My purchases

GRENDEL BEHOLD THE DEVIL #3
AMERICAN VIRGIN #22*
FELL #9
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 547
CABLE & DEADPOOL # 49
IMMORTAL IRON FIST # 12
MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS # 5

*comic shop doesn't carry it, so I have to wait till I get back to school to pick it up.

Also got the Batman and Son hardcover.

Skitch
01-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Picked up Identity Crisis today...read cover to cover. Quite a good book.

Acapelli
01-17-2008, 06:34 AM
I'm really loving Grant Morrison's run on Batman so far.

Mr. Valentine
01-17-2008, 03:06 PM
i've enjoyed Morrison's Batman run so far but Dini's Detective run is my favorite of the two main Bat books.

number8
01-18-2008, 02:58 AM
Oh, wow. They brought back Ted Kord.

Acapelli
01-18-2008, 07:05 AM
I think Marvel 1602 may be my favorite cape-related graphic novel.

megladon8
01-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Fans of Steve Niles should be excited for this, as should people who like monsters, or anyone who has a pulse...

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2418/giantmonsterqu0.th.jpg (http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=giantmonsterqu0.j pg)

Released March 25.

Mr. Valentine
01-24-2008, 01:29 AM
todays pickups:

Young Avengers Presents #1
Astonishing X-Men #24
Crime Bible #4
Gotham Underground #4
She-Hulk #25
Wonder Woman #16

i think my comic store might be the coolest in the country. Jeph Loeb & Ed Mcguiness are signing this week and for free comic book day we get Jim Lee & Todd McFarlane. in the past year theirs been signings by Ed Brubaker, Micheal Lark, Geoff Johns, Warren Ellis, Allen Heinberg and Jhonen Vasquez.

number8
01-24-2008, 01:49 AM
But does it throw parties, serve free alcohol, and help out local indie comic artists? Because mine does.

Mr. Valentine
01-24-2008, 01:55 AM
But does it throw parties, serve free alcohol, and help out local indie comic artists? Because mine does.

it does the first and third, i don't know about the alcohol bit. the whole reason Loeb & McGuiness are signing is because my comic store is getting their own McGuiness Hulk #1 variant cover with all profits to go to the Hero Initative.

ledfloyd
01-24-2008, 02:32 AM
i'm so pumped for Y: The Last Man #60 next week.

Skitch
01-24-2008, 03:40 PM

I hear their making a movie of that...starring The Beef...

EvilShoe
01-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Is that the last issue already, or are there any left after it?

ledfloyd
01-24-2008, 05:09 PM
last one.

EvilShoe
01-24-2008, 06:12 PM
last one.
How were the few last issues?
I buy it in volumes, so I'm behind.

megladon8
01-25-2008, 12:02 AM
No one else is excited for "Giant Monster"??

It's like my most-looked-forward-to title of the year, right now.

Steve Niles!!!

number8
01-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Steve Niles is so, sooo overrated.

megladon8
01-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Steve Niles is so, sooo overrated.

"30 Days of Night" was awesome.

As was "Dark Days".

And his graphic novel adaptation of "I Am Legend" was fantastic as well.

I admit he's not one of "the greats", but he's still good enough for me to be looking forward to this title.

Acapelli
01-25-2008, 12:49 AM
The idea of a man that hunts beards just totally blows my mind.

Sycophant
01-25-2008, 12:52 AM
The idea of a man that hunts beards just totally blows my mind.I think, uh, I need to know more about this statement.

Acapelli
01-25-2008, 04:58 AM
I think, uh, I need to know more about this statement.
Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. One of supervillain groups is called the Brotherhood of Dada. It's pretty amazing.

Mr. Valentine
01-25-2008, 05:34 AM
i noticed an ad for torpedocomics.com in alot of the marvel books this week mentioning cheap trades so i checked it out and they have a pretty good selection. i picked up Truth: Red White & Black TPB for $8 (it's out of print and goes for $80+ on amazon), i also picked up Elektra & Wolverine: The Redeemer HC for $15 (out of print book by Greg Rucka and Yoshitaka Amano) and Volume 3 of the Daredevil Hardcovers for $15. they also have free shipping for orders over $15.

number8
01-25-2008, 06:52 AM
Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. One of supervillain groups is called the Brotherhood of Dada. It's pretty amazing.

I see you've found this awesome series.

Acapelli
01-25-2008, 06:55 AM
I see you've found this awesome series.
I had started it before, but accidentally deleted it off my hd. But I've found it again. I really can't get enough. I even just ordered the first two New X-Men hardcovers from that website Mr. Valentine posted.

Mr. Valentine
01-25-2008, 06:59 AM
i would have ordered those New X-Men hardcovers also but volume 3 is out of print and goes for $200+ dollars same with the New X-Men Omnibus.

Acapelli
01-25-2008, 07:03 AM
i would have ordered those New X-Men hardcovers also but volume 3 is out of print and goes for $200+ dollars same with the New X-Men Omnibus.
Yeah, I mean if anything I'll get the tpbs for the issues contained in volume 3.

D_Davis
01-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Doom Patrol was awesome. Those Simon Bisley covers were the shit.

Mr. Valentine
01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I mean if anything I'll get the tpbs for the issues contained in volume 3.

if i had two volumes in hardcover than i would need the third to be in hardcover also. yes i have issues.

Sycophant
01-27-2008, 08:12 PM
I picked up and started Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life yesterday. I think I'm going to like this.

Skitch
01-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Got Batman Year One in the mail...great book. Currently reading Arham Asylum...damn...that is one twisted Joker.

Mr. Valentine
01-27-2008, 09:49 PM
store was having a 50% off back issue sale so i picked up:

Marvel Comics Presents (2007) #1-5
some Wonder Woman issues i was missing

i also got the Darywn Cooke hardcover Batman: Ego and Other Tails.

megladon8
01-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Got Batman Year One in the mail...great book. Currently reading Arham Asylum...damn...that is one twisted Joker.

Two of the best Batman books ever - good job! :)

EvilShoe
01-28-2008, 07:27 AM
I picked up and started Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life yesterday. I think I'm going to like this.
Alright!
It's a very fun and funny comic.

I'm still waiting for part 4 to arrive. I'll probably cancel my order and look for it in a comic book store this weekend.
I can't take it anymore.

Skitch
01-29-2008, 02:02 AM
Two of the best Batman books ever - good job! :)

I ordered The Killing Joke at the same time, but its backordered till march!

megladon8
01-29-2008, 02:33 AM

Hmm...you should try getting "DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore".

It contains "The Killing Joke" in its entirety, as well as "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" and others.

Here it is on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-Stories-Alan-Moore/dp/1401209270/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201577555&sr=8-1)

It's what I have, and it's great.

Mr. Valentine
01-29-2008, 03:52 AM

it's not backordered, what you ordered was the new Batman: The Killing Joke Hardcover which releases in march.

i agree with meg you should just pick up the Alan Moore book. i own it and for about the same price your gettting like 10 extra stories.

Mr. Valentine
01-29-2008, 04:45 AM
i got some trades/graphic novels i was just going to donate to goodwill but i figured i'd offer them here if anyone wanted them. i'll mail them out media mail and you can just give me $2 for shipping.

DC Versus Marvel Comics
Showcase Presents Green Lantern Volume 1 (500 pages!) spoken for
Shadowpact Tpb Vol. 1 (Contains Shadowpact #1-3, 5-8)
New Avengers HC Vol. 1 (Contains New Avengers #1-6) spoken for
Batman: Knightfall Vol.1 (4 pages in the middle were put in upside down so you have to flip the book over to read them, weird i know)
Superman: Emperor Joker spoken for
Superman: Godfall spoken for

Acapelli
01-29-2008, 04:55 AM
I'd like the New Avengers. Shall I PM you my addy?

Mr. Valentine
01-29-2008, 05:12 AM
I'd like the New Avengers. Shall I PM you my addy?

sounds good.

Sycophant
01-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Seeing that godawful shitshit of a movie got me wondering... is Ghost Rider the character or the series any good, like, at all?

number8
01-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Batman: Knightfall Vol.1 (4 pages in the middle were put in upside down so you have to flip the book over to read them, weird i know)
Superman: Emperor Joker
Superman: Godfall

It's not goodwill to give these to literate people.

Skitch
01-29-2008, 11:36 AM
i got some trades/graphic novels i was just going to donate to goodwill but i figured i'd offer them here if anyone wanted them. i'll mail them out media mail and you can just give me $2 for shipping.

Showcase Presents Green Lantern Volume 1 (500 pages!)
Superman: Emperor Joker
Superman: Godfall

I'd take these. Pm me your addy I'll send you some money and my addy.

Skitch
01-29-2008, 01:24 PM
it's not backordered, what you ordered was the new Batman: The Killing Joke Hardcover which releases in march.

i agree with meg you should just pick up the Alan Moore book. i own it and for about the same price your gettting like 10 extra stories.

I know its the new version. I could find no copies of the old version...and some of the ones I did find were $80! What the hell?! Only $12 for the new version.

I will look into that Alan Moore book though, thanks.

Acapelli
01-29-2008, 01:29 PM
That Alan Moore book is great by the way. I definitely recommend it.

Mr. Valentine
01-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Seeing that godawful shitshit of a movie got me wondering... is Ghost Rider the character or the series any good, like, at all?

i've heard good things about various runs of the book but the only thing i've read is the Garth Ennis miniseries from a few years back and it was pretty mediocre. i've heard horrible things about the current series being written by Daniel Way.

ledfloyd
01-31-2008, 06:55 PM
the last issue of Y the last man was the perfect ending to my favorite comic. not what i was expecting at all. it exceeded my expectations in pretty much every way.

Sycophant
01-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Alright!
It's a very fun and funny comic.

I'm still waiting for part 4 to arrive. I'll probably cancel my order and look for it in a comic book store this weekend.
I can't take it anymore.I think I'm going to run out and grab volumes 2 and 3 this weekend. The first volume was an absolute joy to read.

Mr. Valentine
01-31-2008, 11:20 PM
what the hell is up with the marvel books this week. i just finished reading Cap, Daredevil, New Avengers Annual 2 and Mighty Avengers and all of them have Lost (the show) advertisements drawn into the panels. Oceanic Airlines ad on top of a taxi and a billboard, Find815.com is in at least three different places. it's bad enough theres an ad every other page now their hiding the shit inside the actual panels.

Acapelli
02-01-2008, 01:42 AM
what the hell is up with the marvel books this week. i just finished reading Cap, Daredevil, New Avengers Annual 2 and Mighty Avengers and all of them have Lost (the show) advertisements drawn into the panels. Oceanic Airlines ad on top of a taxi and a billboard, Find815.com is in at least three different places. it's bad enough theres an ad every other page now their hiding the shit inside the actual panels.
I don't watch Lost, so it wasn't really a problem for me.

number8
02-01-2008, 02:48 AM

Didn't you hear? Marvel and them struck a deal.

Mr. Valentine
02-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Didn't you hear? Marvel and them struck a deal.

i just read it online, i still don't like it and I lovvveee Lost.

Mr. Valentine
02-01-2008, 04:06 AM
todays pickups:

New Avengers Annual #2
Project Superpowers #0
Avengers: Initiative #9
Mighty Avengers #8
Daredevil #104
Captain America #34
Batman #673
Casanova Vol. 1 TPB

Watashi
02-01-2008, 04:49 AM
So I finished the entire Captain America Omnibus by Brubaker. It was amazing. When they eventually do the Captain American movie, it has to go down this route.

Mr. Valentine
02-01-2008, 05:21 AM
So I finished the entire Captain America Omnibus by Brubaker. It was amazing. When they eventually do the Captain American movie, it has to go down this route.

i agree. unfortunately they won't.

number8
02-01-2008, 05:54 AM
I still stand by my Cap pitch that I wrote a couple of years ago.