PDA

View Full Version : To Rome with Love (Woody Allen)

elixir
07-04-2012, 04:14 AM
TO ROME WITH LOVE
Director: Woody Allen

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1859650/)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb187/ears550/l_1859650_8d9c0d48.jpg

elixir
07-04-2012, 04:15 AM
This movie is bad.

EyesWideOpen
07-04-2012, 05:42 AM
This movie is bad.

I don't believe you. :)

Watashi
07-04-2012, 07:38 AM
I really loved Woody Allen's No Hotlinking Please.

Probably his best since Error 404.

Watashi
07-04-2012, 07:57 AM
Well now my post makes no sense at all.

Thanks a lot, Elixir.

NickGlass
07-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the annual Woody Allen variety show! Oof.

It would be wrong to label this a mess because the term implies that there's some sort of direction within its cluttered, half-assed bustle. All skit, no substance. There's also a big female problem with this film that I don't care to investigate further lest I become really depressed about this flimsy tourist romp.

Mal
07-07-2012, 03:42 AM
Welcome to the annual Woody Allen variety show! Oof.

It would wrong to label this a mess because the term applies that there's some sort of direction within its cluttered, half-assed bustle. All skit, no substance. There's also a big female problem with this film that I don't care to investigate further lest I become really depressed about this flimsy tourist romp.

This this and you know there's a problem when I find Alec Baldwin to be the best thing about a picture.

EyesWideOpen
07-07-2012, 07:38 PM
It wasn't top tier Allen but still enjoyable. I have yet to watch an Allen film I didn't get enjoyment from.

Pop Trash
07-07-2012, 08:55 PM
It wasn't top tier Allen but still enjoyable. I have yet to watch an Allen film I didn't get enjoyment from.

As my dad once said "Even Woody Allen's bad movies are still pretty good!"

Mal
07-08-2012, 02:35 AM

I say that too, but saying this film is enjoyable is like saying a physical is enjoyable. It's one of his absolute worst.

Boner M
07-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Operative word being "dad".

Pop Trash
07-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Operative word being "dad".

I should mention my dad is David Bordwell.

Thirdmango
07-09-2012, 07:47 PM
I liked this one quite a bit, I admit there were some faults, probably I would have liked to have gotten rid of one of the stories for more time in the others. When it comes to many of Allen's comedies he tends to find a particular joke and base a movie around it, Zelig is an example of how this works to perfection, a simple idea, a simple joke and a story built around it. I'm pretty sure this movie started when Allen thought:

Pagliacci as sung by someone in the shower, and then he built a story around that. It wasn't enough to build an entire movie, so he thought of some other ideas and created this film as a result. I loved both the Pagliacci story and the Alec Baldwin story. The other two stories I didn't like as much but both had some charm.

Also as a side note, not since The Bourne Identity have I been the only one in the entire theater until this movie. It was really fun being the only one there.

Rowland
07-11-2012, 04:54 AM
Dug it, possibly more so than Midnight in Paris, come to think of it. At the very least, it easily joins the ranks with You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger and Scoop as underrated late-career Woody. Sorry Whatever Works and Cassandra's Dream, you still don't qualify.

Mr. McGibblets
01-13-2013, 01:35 AM
The Benigni story is insipid, but the other three are fun and I really liked the music and photography. The story with young couple is the one that really needs to be longer. It's a good setup and a good conclusion with barely a middle. The one with Alec Baldwin is a fun short film. The one with the opera singer is fun when it focuses on singing; the random political discourse (unions are very important to me) is just uncomfortable.

Lucky
02-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Is it possible for Woody to write a script without using the term "pseudointellectual"?

I agree with every word that Rowland said. It's one of those Allen movies, like Scoop, whose charms worked effortlessly on me but appear to be lost on most everyone else. I'm not a religious Allen follower--like Rowland I despised Cassandra, Whatever, and Melinda--but this one is a second-tier success.

Grouchy
08-04-2013, 07:24 AM
The Benigni story is insipid
I'm the exact opposite. I think this should be a short film with the Benigni character. Everything else is bullshit.

baby doll
08-09-2013, 02:52 PM
I thought the honeymooners plot was lame and derivative (The White Sheik by way of Kiss Me, Stupid--or more likely, the Italian movie Wilder's film is based on), as was the shiksa temptress plot (Rohmer's Moral Tales, though I enjoyed the ambiguity of not knowing how much of Baldwin's dialogue is actually being said and how much is Eisenberg's internal monologue). The opera plot was just kind of dopey, and the Benigni one was funny but a bit predictable--certainly nothing to rival, say, Oedipus Rex. It's amusing in spots and I was never bored, but there's not really a film here; a more accurate title would've been Woody: A Director's Notebook.