PDA

View Full Version : The Road

Saya
01-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Charlize Theron has joined the cast of The Road. (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117979015.html?categoryid=1 3&cs=1&query=charlize+theron)

Charlize Theron has signed on to join Viggo Mortensen in the bigscreen adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's bestselling novel "The Road" for 2929 Entertainment.

Story centers on a man who embarks on a nightmarish road trip after a nuclear explosion in an attempt to transport his son to safety while fending off cannibals. Aussie helmer John Hillcoat ("The Proposition") is directing from a screenplay by Joe Penhall.

Theron, who will play the wife of Mortensen's character, will be seen mostly in flashback. Although the role is small, Theron joined the project because she's a big fan of the book -- published by Knopf in 2006 -- and was eager to reteam with producer Nick Wechsler, with whom she worked on 2000's "The Yards."

Ezee E
01-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Of course she's a fan of the book.

I've only seen one movie from Hillcoat, The Proposition, but I have pretty good confidence that he'll pull it off.

I wonder how far Viggo will go for the role.

megladon8
01-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Sounds great.

Charlize Theron is a great actress, and Viggo is brilliant as well.

Add John Hillcoat as director, and colour me SUPER excited.

Raiders
01-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Only thing missing is Nick Cave writing the screenplay.

Still, this should be great. Viggo is good, though I was secretly rooting for Day-Lewis. They'll probably have to go with an unknown for the child.

Spinal
01-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Only thing missing is Nick Cave writing the screenplay.

Joe Penhall is an excellent dramatist. The project should be in safe hands.

Kurosawa Fan
01-16-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm not pleased at all with this news. This means they're expanding the mother character, which I don't care for at all. I know they say the role is small, but in the novel she had basically one scene. I doubt Theron would sign on for what would amount to one scene. I don't need a lot of backstory, what McCarthy provided in the book was just fine. Part of what made the book so special was that it was just the two of them trying to survive. Too many flashbacks could break the desperate solitude the book created by just pushing forward with the narrative and not bothering to look back.

EDIT: I also think Theron will be a distraction. Just get a no-named actress to play the role if it's that small.

MadMan
01-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Despite Theron being involved this film sounds really fantastic. I can't wait.

Raiders
01-16-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm not pleased at all with this news. This means they're expanding the mother character, which I don't care for at all. I know they say the role is small, but in the novel she had basically one scene. I doubt Theron would sign on for what would amount to one scene. I don't need a lot of backstory, what McCarthy provided in the book was just fine. Part of what made the book so special was that it was just the two of them trying to survive. Too many flashbacks could break the desperate solitude the book created by just pushing forward with the narrative and not bothering to look back.

EDIT: I also think Theron will be a distraction. Just get a no-named actress to play the role if it's that small.

I don't know. The father recounted the "before" days more than once. It is likely a visualization of these reminisces will be better than merely a voice-over, so she could have multiple scenes. I do agree that giving her much dialogue would be a bad idea, and it seems potentially likely, but again, considering her love of the book, she may have signed on for a small part.

Spinal
01-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Hasn't Theron proved that she can immerse herself in a character without drawing from her own celebrity? I would not be concerned personally. But then, I have no knowledge of the book.

Kurosawa Fan
01-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Hasn't Theron proved that she can immerse herself in a character without drawing from her own celebrity? I would not be concerned personally. But then, I have no knowledge of the book.

She was pretty amazing in Monster, but she was also pretty unrecognizable with the make-up. I'm not trying to trivialize her performance, but just playing a housewife in a flashback or two won't require much, and pretty much could have been pulled off by just about anyone, unless they changed/expanded the part.

Ezee E
01-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm still confident that Hillcoat/Penhall won't change up the script too much. Theron will have one important scene, and the rest will be brief scenes I imagine.

Saya
01-31-2008, 03:47 PM
The kid has been cast:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/848/848243p1.html

Young Wolvie Hits The Road

January 29, 2008 - Kodi Smit-McPhee, the 11 year-old Aussie actor recently cast as young Logan in Fox's X-Men Origins: Wolverine, has reportedly been cast as Viggo Mortensen's son in the feature film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's post-apocalyptic novel The Road.

Smit-McPhee's casting was reported by Australia's The Daily Telegraph. He first gained notice for his role as Eric Bana's son in the Aussie drama Romulus, My Father.

In related news, The Pittsburgh Business Times reports that The Road will commence production next month in Pittsburgh for an eight-week shoot. (ProductionCharts.com adds that the film will also shoot for one week each in Oregon and Louisiana.) The paper confirmed the film's Pittsburgh stint with both production company 2929 Entertainment and the Pittsburgh Film Office.

The Times adds that the film, which stars Mortensen and Charlize Theron, has also cast Guy Pearce and Robert Duvall in unspecified roles. Pearce was rumored last fall as possibly replacing Mortensen in the lead role, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

http://i28.tinypic.com/33f3nut.jpg

I think Robert Duvall will play

the old guy, Ely, who they meet on the road and give food to.

There is no God.
No?
There is no God and we are his prophets.
I dont understand how you're still alive. How do you eat?
I dont know.
You dont know?
People give you things.
People give you things.
Yes.
To eat.
To eat. Yes.
No they dont.
You did.
No I didnt. The boy did.

And I guess Guy Pearce

will play the man that takes the boy at the end.

Benny Profane
01-31-2008, 04:43 PM
The film would be better suited with no recognizable actors.

Ezee E
01-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Viggo is fine as the main role, but hopefully they change up Duvall and Pearce enough to make the unrecognizable if your suspicions are correct. Especially the man at the end.

I fear that if too many stars are in this, they'll change up the story too much.

The little kid looks perfect though, so maybe Pearce/Duvall will just be a rumor.

MadMan
01-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Duvell and Pearce being included is great news. Simply because both are really amazing actors.

Ezee E
04-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Garrett Dillahunt (Deadwood, Assassination of Jesse James) and Michael K. Williams (The Wire's Omar) are in this apparently.

Awesome.

And it's coming out in November.

Double awesome.

EvilShoe
04-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Dillahunt could easily carry this entire movie.
He's one of the best things to come out of Deadwood.

Ezee E
04-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Dillahunt could easily carry this entire movie.
He's one of the best things to come out of Deadwood.
For sure. He was great after his first character. Then, when I found out about his second character, I've seen everything he's been in.

EvilShoe
04-18-2008, 02:44 PM
For sure. He was great after his first character. Then, when I found out about his second character, I've seen everything he's been in.
I was very pleased when I found out he had been given the chance to play a different character on the show. At times I forgot I was watching the same character.

He also surprised me in The Assassination of Jesse James. Really made the most out of a small supporting role. Fantastic in the scene where Brad Pitt's Jesse James confronts him, and even more fantastic in the scene where he gets killed.

I also enjoyed seeing him in John From Cincinnati & Damages. (Even if his role in the latter was very small.)

How was he in the Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Ezee E
04-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Er... I guess I haven't, and will not be seeing him in everything he's done...

:(

EvilShoe
04-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Er... I guess I haven't, and will not be seeing him in everything he's done...

:(
Also my reaction when I found out about that role.

Morris Schæffer
04-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Garrett Dillahunt (Deadwood, Assassination of Jesse James) and Michael K. Williams (The Wire's Omar) are in this apparently.

Awesome.

That is pretty damn cool especially Williams.

Saya
04-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Dillahunt is great. I wonder who he'll play.

Milky Joe
04-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Dillahunt is great. I wonder who he'll play.

I'm hoping he'll be the crazy guy who steals their cart.

Saya
04-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm hoping he'll be the crazy guy who steals their cart.

That could work. Because Dillahunt is so versatile

I could also definitely see him as the guy at the end who will take the little boy with him.

Watashi
05-19-2008, 07:02 PM
First image:

http://www.worstpreviews.com/images/photos/theroad/theroad1.jpg

Kurosawa Fan
05-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Love the ash on his sleeve. I know it's just a picture, but for some reason it gives me hope that this won't get fucked up.

Saya
05-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Nice pic! The pic definitely has a bleak and depressing vibe.

Boner M
05-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Looks Tarkovsky-esque. A very good thing, especially for this film.

Winston*
05-19-2008, 09:49 PM
That kid was so annoying in Romulus, My Father. Here's hoping that was just due to the crappy film he was in.

Ezee E
05-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Neat Article (http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/05/27/first-look-viggo-mortensen-in-cormac-mccarthys-the-road/)

That gives me a little faith that the movie will at least be good.

Viggo for Oscar?!?!?!

Watashi
08-07-2008, 05:52 AM
http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2008/08/07/roadx-large.jpg

We should be expecting a trailer soon.

Morris Schæffer
08-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Another great pic!

D_Davis
08-07-2008, 04:54 PM
http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2008/08/07/roadx-large.jpg

We should be expecting a trailer soon.

Reminds of...

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/5693/lonewolfandcub7sd.jpg

Ezee E
08-07-2008, 05:26 PM
That's a terrifying look.

Everything is dead-on as how I pictured it in my head. That will be quite the impressive feat if pulled off.

Wryan
08-07-2008, 05:30 PM
That's a lot more clothing than I imagined them to have.

I loved this book, but couldn't imagine anyone doing it right. So damn bleak and quiet and painful at times.

I had no idea this was so far in production and I had NO idea that Viggo was the father. That's got me super excited.

Looking forward to it.

Dukefrukem
08-07-2008, 05:38 PM
That's an awesome shot.

Ezee E
08-07-2008, 06:42 PM
That's a lot more clothing than I imagined them to have.

I loved this book, but couldn't imagine anyone doing it right. So damn bleak and quiet and painful at times.

I had no idea this was so far in production and I had NO idea that Viggo was the father. That's got me super excited.

Looking forward to it.
The clothing seems about right. They wore multiple layers upon layers, with blankets on top of that.

BIOspasm
08-07-2008, 06:51 PM
One of the best books I have ever read. Cant wait. Even though I much prefer Blood Meridian, I think this will be the better film.

Watashi
08-07-2008, 07:26 PM
More pics:

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/road-cormac-FS-aug-01.jpg

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/road-cormac-FS-aug-04.jpg

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/road-cormac-FS-aug-05.jpg

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/road-cormac-FS-aug-06.jpg

number8
08-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Is that Omar?

This movie just got even more awesome.

Kurosawa Fan
08-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Wow. I'm having a hard time keeping my excitement and expectations in check.

megladon8
08-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Boy, they really spared no expense in making everything look dirty and sickly.

I hope this movie is as amazing as it's looking to be so far. It's one of the very best books I have ever read, and I think it could make for an incredible film.

John Hillcoat seems like the perfect choice for director, and ditto to Viggo for the lead.

Wryan
08-07-2008, 08:06 PM
The clothing seems about right. They wore multiple layers upon layers, with blankets on top of that.

I remember a whole lotta freezing going on most nights.

Morris Schæffer
08-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Is that Omar?

This movie just got even more awesome.

Yep yep!:)

megladon8
08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I remember a whole lotta freezing going on most nights.

Yeah but have you ever sat/lay down in the middle of winter?

It doesn't matter how many layers you have - once you stop moving for a while, you get damn cold.

Also, if I remember correctly, aren't they quite ill anyways?

Duncan
08-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Huh, this whole time I was thinking this was directed by Ridley Scott. Now that I know Hillcoat is directing I am excited.

Raiders
08-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Huh, this whole time I was thinking this was directed by Ridley Scott. Now that I know Hillcoat is directing I am excited.

No. He's set to ruin Blood Meridian.

Mysterious Dude
08-07-2008, 08:30 PM
I believe Scott is directing Blood Meridian.

Duncan
08-07-2008, 08:31 PM
No. He's set to ruin Blood Meridian.

Oohhh. Jeez, what's with all the McCarthy adaptations? I can't keep up.

Raiders
08-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Oohhh. Jeez, what's with all the McCarthy adaptations? I can't keep up.

Yeah, it's kind of strange that the man has been writing for 40 years now, and with the exception of 2000's All the Pretty Horses, he has been ignored until now having four adaptations in the span of two years (his little read Outer Dark is also being adapted).

number8
08-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Has anyone seen Kodi Smit-McPhee in anything? Apparently the kid's really good.

Some of the crew privately referred to him as the Alien because of the uncanny, almost freakish way that on a moment's notice he switched accents and turned himself from a child into a movie star."

Just how good is Kodi Smit-McPhee? According to the Times' Charles McGrath, who visited the Pittsburgh set recently, while Mortensen never broke character ("bearded, gaunt, wound up and intense" — apparently he's not like this in real life), and had to do wind sprints to appear more tired before filming, Kodi had sword fights with crew members and "wandered around and hummed to himself between takes" but was able to capably transform into a starving refugee whenever cameras started rolling, pretty much proving that method acting is all a bunch of nonsense. "There are things he's done on this movie that I've never seen anybody do before … I can't say I've ever worked with a better partner," says Mortensen, who will now exclusively shoulder the blame if The Road turns out crappy.

Duncan
08-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah, it's kind of strange that the man has been writing for 40 years now, and with the exception of 2000's All the Pretty Horses, he has been ignored until now having four adaptations in the span of two years (his little read Outer Dark is also being adapted).
Kind of a tired idea at this point, but there does seem to be an American need for bleakness nowadays. For example, 5 years ago I don't see The Dark Knight doing nearly as well as it has commercially.

D_Davis
08-07-2008, 09:22 PM

Witness the power of Oprah.

D_Davis
08-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Kind of a tired idea at this point, but there does seem to be an American need for bleakness nowadays. For example, 5 years ago I don't see The Dark Knight doing nearly as well as it has commercially.

This is an interesting insight into our post-9/11 feelings and how that even has changed our society and what we look for in our "entertainment." It maybe a cliche now, and I know some people tire of all the "post-9/11" talk, but it is true, and often genre entertainment is the most changed after a major societal event simply because it is so populist.

number8
08-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Well, what's funny is how we're about two decades behind the Brits. While we're in this post-9/11 bleakness binge, the Brits are saying, "Welcome to the 80s." It's happening in movies, novels and comics. That's why it can feel so old hat even though it's a recent trend.

And of course, The Dark Knight was directed by a Brit. Go figure.

D_Davis
08-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Well, what's funny is how we're about two decades behind the Brits. While we're in this post-9/11 bleakness binge, the Brits are saying, "Welcome to the 80s." It's happening in movies, novels and comics. That's why it can feel so old hat even though it's a recent trend.

And of course, The Dark Knight was directed by a Brit. Go figure.

The Brits are always depressed and bleak though. Americans are better at the whole ignorance is bliss thing.

:)

Ezee E
08-07-2008, 09:57 PM
All these images are downright frightening.

megladon8
08-07-2008, 09:58 PM
All these images are downright frightening.

Yeah. I find stuff like this more frightening and affecting than most "trying to be scary" horror movies.

I just can't get over how dirty and disgusting everything looks.

I can practically smell Viggo's coat.

Ezee E
08-08-2008, 10:06 PM
http://twitchfilm.net/site/images/entry_images/Road2.JPG

Kurosawa Fan
08-09-2008, 01:02 AM
I still really wish they had picked a nobody to play the wife.

Benny Profane
08-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I pictured the kid to be shorter and younger.

Great effin pics though.

Katiescarlett
09-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I finished this book today.

I really really hope they stay true to the story. And as long as Charlize's role isn't increased much then I think she'll do great in the role and it doesn't bother me that they cast her. Even though she's really well known, I feel that after her role in Monster she should be allowed to be in a role like this without being pre-judged.

Ezee E
09-14-2008, 01:59 AM
Damnit, every time a post shows up, I hope it's the trailer.

Ezee E
09-16-2008, 05:56 AM
Anyone interested in this movie should check out Haneke's Time of the Wolf. I'm surprised I never heard about a comparison.

MadMan
09-16-2008, 03:38 PM
I should really read the book, but out of laziness I'll probably see the movie first.

lemon
09-17-2008, 03:51 AM
If you think that you might like the book you should read it before you see the movie. If you see the movie first then you will visualize everything through the directors eye instead of using your own imagination/interpretation of the book. At least, that is how I am. That might not be a bad thing to some people though.

Malickfan
09-17-2008, 03:54 AM
And make sure you have some kleenex beside you.

Watashi
10-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I want a fucking trailer right now.

Winston*
10-05-2008, 09:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kho0gaxZyW8

Ezee E
10-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Coming from Winston, I'm going to guess it's Rickrolling or something.

Boner M
10-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Coming from Winston, I'm going to guess it's Rickrolling or something.
It's a trailer for The Road, I swear.

Ezee E
10-05-2008, 11:46 AM
It's a trailer for The Road, I swear.
WOULD WE!?!?

haha.

Saya
10-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, it's so weird that there isn't a trailer yet or even a poster and the movie comes out in less than two months. There's no marketing for it at all. I hope they get on that fast. It's like the studio doesn't want this movie to make any money.

DavidSeven
10-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Yeah, it's so weird that there isn't a trailer yet or even a poster and the movie comes out in less than two months. There's no marketing for it at all. I hope they get on that fast. It's like the studio doesn't want this movie to make any money.

Maybe they're giving it the old "Assassination of Jesse James burial" treatment. Poor Aussies.

Boner M
10-06-2008, 01:44 AM
Maybe they're giving it the old "Assassination of Jesse James burial" treatment. Poor Aussies.
We suffer for our art.

Amnesiac
10-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Official website (http://theroad-movie.com/) is up... not much to it, yet. There are also some new behind-the-scenes photos (http://www.quietearth.us/articles/2008/10/08/Behind-the-scenes-pics-from-THE-ROAD--official-film-website-found) to look at.

Still no trailer... but, since the website promises the full site is coming 'soon', I imagine it won't be long before we finally see it.

Lazlo
10-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Is 'The Road' being bumped to 2009? (http://oscar-watch.ew.com/2008/10/is-the-road-bei.html?xid=rss-oscarwatch-Is%20%27The%20Road%27%20being% 20bumped%20to%202009?)

That's the rumor going around at the moment. Though the Weinstein Co. web site currently lists its release date as Nov. 14, the mini-studio is unable to confirm that its eagerly-awaited Cormac McCarthy adaptation, starring Viggo Mortensen and Charlize Theron, will actually be in theaters that day. The distributor is certainly suffering its fair share of headaches at the moment, with all the tussling over the Stephen Daldry drama The Reader. After Harvey Weinstein tried to force Daldry and producer Scott Rudin to finish the film, starring Ralph Fiennes and Kate Winslet, in time for a 2008 release, Rudin took his name off the film late last week. With The Reader now slated for December, has Weinstein decided he doesn't want to mount two Best Picture campaigns simultaneously?

Since the reigining Best Picture winner, No Country for Old Men, was also a McCarthy book first, The Road was high on many OscarWatchers' lists: In fact, it now stands at No. 13 on Movie City News' Gurus of Gold Best Picture chart (to which I'm a contributor). Should The Road get pushed, the biggest loser will be Mortensen, who earned a Best Actor nod earlier this year for his phenomenal performance in Eastern Promises. Even though he's got two other films this fall (Appaloosa and the upcoming Nazi drama Good), his best shot at a second consecutive nomination may be off the table...at least for this year.

I wonder what the cause of the delay would be? Is it not ready? Is it the Weinsteins being stupid? Did they just now realize that they've neglected to market the thing?

If Hillcoat says it's not ready, I'm cool with that. Any other reason is stupid and lame.

Ezee E
10-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Is 'The Road' being bumped to 2009? (http://oscar-watch.ew.com/2008/10/is-the-road-bei.html?xid=rss-oscarwatch-Is%20%27The%20Road%27%20being% 20bumped%20to%202009?)

I wonder what the cause of the delay would be? Is it not ready? Is it the Weinsteins being stupid? Did they just now realize that they've neglected to market the thing?

If Hillcoat says it's not ready, I'm cool with that. Any other reason is stupid and lame.
I'm guessing it'll just be for marketing reasons as it's been finished for quite some time now.

That'll be a shame, but I saw it coming.

EyesWideOpen
10-16-2008, 05:33 AM
I'm guessing it'll just be for marketing reasons as it's been finished for quite some time now.

That'll be a shame, but I saw it coming.

the quote i read said the movie is having delays in post production and that's the cause of the push back.

Pop Trash
10-16-2008, 05:57 AM
The Assassination of Viggo Mortensen's Oscar by the Coward Harvey Weinstein.

Sxottlan
10-16-2008, 06:02 AM
I could see this getting bumped. Supposedly a few weeks away from release and no ads at all. The same happened with Harry Potter 6.

Wryan
10-16-2008, 03:27 PM
The Assassination of Viggo Mortensen's Oscar by the Coward Harvey Weinstein.

It's unfortunate, but I take comfort in the likely supposition that Mortensen couldn't give less of a shit. :)

Saya
10-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Here's the reaction of some poster on CHUD that attended a test screening of the movie last night. (http://chud.com/articles/articles/16668/1/JOHN-HILLCOAT-FACES-A-BUMPY-ROAD/Page1.html)

He didn't like it at all and said the audience reacted mostly negative to the movie and Harvey Weinstein walked out early during the screening...

This is what he said (some spoilers):

...it was just a complete mess…the film never pretends to be interested in its opaque story, replacing what I assume would be literary details with bleak, miserablist [sic] moments edited together randomly, none feeling like they emerged from the same film. It might just be unadaptable, because after the first twenty minutes the rest of the film is a crushing bore of a foregone conclusion- I think you can all guess what happens to the one character who mysteriously coughs all the time.

The focus group I attended railed against the repetitive score, which was probably temp but sounded like a minimalist new Nick Cave score that was heavy on the piano and droned through the heavily dramatic moments.

There's no "movie" there. The main crux- that Earth has fallen into a post-apocalyptic wasteland- is dealt with pretty vaguely, enough to the point where there's really no allegorical parallel at all, and as far as intimate post-apocalyptic movies, they tend to be similar, in that they involve lots and lots of walking until someone important dies, and that seems to be the formula this follows. The focus group also tore into Charlize Theron's flashback role as Viggo's estranged wife, who comes across as a screaming harpy with only a couple of minutes of screentime who unpleasantly ditches the family for no explicit purpose, as well as Michael K. Williams' role as the only black man in the film, a guy who robs the hero and ends up humbled and without his clothes- cries of racism, as you could guess.

Product placement abounds as well, to a distracting level. Apparently there is a Coca Cola scene in the book, but in the film it plays like a separate commercial, as Viggo gives his son his first Coke. The boy remarks at how fizzy and delicious it is and the dad lets him finish it on his own as the child asks, "Is that because it's the last one I'll ever have?"

Harvey Weinstein was at the screening, and he left early- whatever that means, I'll leave to the pundits. But not only is the film unfinished for its supposed November release date, it's also a complete fiasco on every creative level.

Wryan
10-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Kinda sounds like The Road.

Robby P
10-16-2008, 04:50 PM
As a general rule of thumb, I have a hard time taking criticism seriously from someone who uses the word "miserabilst".

Pop Trash
10-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Hmmm...I don't know. Two recent examples of films being pushed back from Oscar season because of "problems" include The Assassination of Jesse James and Zodiac, so you know...

Then again maybe it does just suck?

Raiders
10-16-2008, 05:07 PM

Yeah, his description made it sound like something I want to see. I also fail to see how the Coke makes it a product placement. It is using a classic piece of "Americana" to evoke the past and the boy's reaction is essential.

I haven't seen this of course, so it may indeed be a bore. But, I just hate the business of Hollywood. An evil that will not go away, but I can hate it nonetheless.

Kurosawa Fan
10-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Indeed. The reviewer obviously didn't read the book, but from what he's describing, I'm not deterred in the slightest.

Ezee E
10-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah, the "delicious, fizzy" lines are right from the book.

There's a few other reviews out there that are more favorable. It's also worth noting that it was a temp score.

DavidSeven
10-17-2008, 02:38 AM
the movie is having delays in post production

I believe that's code language for "the studio isn't happy, have lost all faith in director's vision, and are looking for a team of Hollywood tools to re-edit the entire thing."

NickGlass
10-17-2008, 02:47 AM
http://filmexperience.blogspot.com/2008/10/road-is-under-construction.html

Ezee E
10-21-2008, 03:30 AM
Old-timer RT members may remember Fabfunk.

He claims to have been the negative reviewer for The Road.

Wryan
10-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Old-timer RT members may remember Fabfunk.

He claims to have been the negative reviewer for The Road.

.......well, shit.

number8
10-21-2008, 06:02 PM
He's not claiming... He DID write that review. What he's claiming is that he's the reason why the Weinsteins is pushing it back, that his review pretty much killed the film. I believe he's getting heat for that.

Wryan
10-21-2008, 06:05 PM
He's not claiming... He DID write that review. What he's claiming is that he's the reason why the Weinsteins is pushing it back, that his review pretty much killed the film. I believe he's getting heat for that.

Sounds odd.

number8
10-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Sounds odd.

And unlikely.

Kurosawa Fan
10-21-2008, 06:08 PM
I can't wait until they make major changes to the film, making it nothing like the novel. Man, focus groups are the best.

Wryan
10-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I can't wait until they make major changes to the film, making it nothing like the novel. Man, focus groups are the best.

I really didn't think this post was necessary. It interrupted the flow of my thoughts and caused me unasked-for emotional distress. Also, the score was overbearing.

Saya
10-21-2008, 06:43 PM
I really hope they aren't going to recut the movie or make major changes, but then again Harvey Weinstein isn't nicknamed Harvey Scissorhands for nothing.

Here's a newish pic to cheer everyone up!

http://i35.tinypic.com/2h5oe4m.jpg

Lasse
10-21-2008, 06:45 PM

http://i35.tinypic.com/2h5oe4m.jpg

Wow. That picture is so depressing. I want to kill myself.

Wryan
10-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Wow. That picture is so depressing. I want to kill myself.

Hey whoa. Back off.

Me first.

Ezee E
10-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Whatever keeps him happy.

eternity
10-21-2008, 10:17 PM
No, he didn't write the review. Unless if he has two regular accounts at CHUD and posts as both, trying to be two different people over there.

Fabfunk /= KABONG and he's unwilling to prove otherwise.

number8
10-21-2008, 11:10 PM
No, he didn't write the review. Unless if he has two regular accounts at CHUD and posts as both, trying to be two different people over there.

Lots of people do this over at RT, no? I don't find it hard to believe.

Anyway, I don't know for sure either way (nor do I care to argue for either side), but I know he was a professional critic and often go to advanced and test screenings, so...

eternity
10-22-2008, 01:49 AM
Lots of people do this over at RT, no? I don't find it hard to believe.

Anyway, I don't know for sure either way (nor do I care to argue for either side), but I know he was a professional critic and often go to advanced and test screenings, so...
Very few, if any. The only times I'm aware of were just blind speculation and manufactured drama conspiracy theories.

But he basically claimed the review to be his, it was proven to be another CHUD poster, he tried to convince us he's both accounts, but then refused to prove it in any way.

Ezee E
10-22-2008, 02:18 AM
Very few, if any. The only times I'm aware of were just blind speculation and manufactured drama conspiracy theories.

But he basically claimed the review to be his, it was proven to be another CHUD poster, he tried to convince us he's both accounts, but then refused to prove it in any way.
Glad we don't have that happen here. How silly.

Grouchy
10-22-2008, 03:58 AM
I met Fabfunk, and if he says he did something, he probably did it and decapitated a chicken at the same time.

Holy eye bags, Viggo!

Amnesiac
10-22-2008, 08:40 PM

And another:

http://www.jeremyambler.com/DCP_8954.JPG

Qrazy
10-22-2008, 08:55 PM
I have no doubt Fabfunk wrote the review. I also have no doubt that the review had little to no effect on the proposed release date.

Pop Trash
10-24-2008, 02:21 AM
So I just got an email from my press screening hookup that said The Road is officially a 2009 release. Bummer. :|

megladon8
01-13-2009, 11:06 PM
I don't think this movie will ever come out.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they just took a few still photos with Viggo and said they made a movie.

megladon8
03-03-2009, 11:58 PM
A radio piece about the film (http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7898000/7898685.stm) featuring several interview snippits, as well as a chunk of Nick Cave's musical score.

Winston*
03-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Not much interest in this. Don't really see the point in me seeing a The Road film, having read the book.

Raiders
03-27-2009, 01:34 PM
AARGH. Still no definite release date.

I'm shocked they didn't just dump this in the early spring. It has some fall '09 international release dates, so maybe there is renewed interest in releasing this as a fall movie?

Or maybe they still have no idea what to do with it.

Morris Schæffer
03-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Please refrain from posting in this thread unless you can offer a trailer! ;)

Kurosawa Fan
03-27-2009, 06:09 PM
This is looking like a disaster. How depressing.

*waits for joke*

Spun Lepton
03-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to get the impression it didn't turn out so well. I still have my fingers crossed, but my expectations are dropping off.

The Mike
03-29-2009, 08:17 PM
As wise men once said 'The road is fuckin' hard. The road is fuckin' tough. There's no question that, it is rough rough stuff."

Seems to sum this one up perfectly. ;)

Morris Schæffer
03-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Seems hard to fathom. Those early pictures were extremely encouraging. Also, Omar Little.

amberlita
04-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Seems hard to fathom. Those early pictures were extremely encouraging. Also, Omar Little.

While your latter point is well said and fully agreed upon, have you read the book? I finished it a few months ago and if the film translation was a faithful adaptation of the source material then I don't find it hard to fathom at all that peopel are unhappy with the result. As I read it I was constantly wondering how in the hell someone thought it would make a good movie.

Raiders
04-05-2009, 09:44 PM
While your latter point is well said and fully agreed upon, have you read the book? I finished it a few months ago and if the film translation was a faithful adaptation of the source material then I don't find it hard to fathom at all that peopel are unhappy with the result. As I read it I was constantly wondering how in the hell someone thought it would make a good movie.

I think it would make a great movie. Just not a particularly audience-friendly or happy one. There is little way to market this without flat-out lying about its truly depressing, and oppressive, nature and I would imagine this is where much of the dilemma in releasing it comes from.

Qrazy
04-05-2009, 10:50 PM
I think it would make a great movie. Just not a particularly audience-friendly or happy one. There is little way to market this without flat-out lying about its truly depressing, and oppressive, nature and I would imagine this is where much of the dilemma in releasing it comes from.

You know what would make a great post-apocalyptic movie? Swan Song (McCammon). In fact I think it would make a better movie than a book as I found the prose to be rather bland but the narrative very engaging and intriguing.

Ezee E
04-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Raiders is dead-on if they faithfully adapt the book. There are potential dry spots, but I find it would be just as effective as the book when put onto film.

Morris Schæffer
04-06-2009, 10:43 AM

Flipped through a few pages in a store and quickly realized it just didn't seem as exciting as a Dan Brown novel. Not my thang obviously, but those few pages already seemed super duper Spartan.

SirNewt
04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Raiders is dead-on if they faithfully adapt the book. There are potential dry spots, but I find it would be just as effective as the book when put onto film.

Agree 100% here too. The book does very little actual diving into people's heads and is mostly about people, places, things, actions, etc. Sounds like a great starting place for a film to me. It's also present tense and very thin on plot. Should play like Ingmar Bergman directs Mad Max.

Raiders
04-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Flipped through a few pages in a store and quickly realized it just didn't seem as exciting as a Dan Brown novel.

:|

Dude.

Boner M
04-06-2009, 11:49 AM
:|

Dude.
Indeed; possibly the closest I've come to neg-repping someone.

Ezee E
04-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Flipped through a few pages in a store and quickly realized it just didn't seem as exciting as a Dan Brown novel. Not my thang obviously, but those few pages already seemed super duper Spartan.
Haha. I get it.

number8
04-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Oh my god, Morris.

*facepalm*

Wait, why am I embarrassed?

Grouchy
04-06-2009, 03:46 PM
REPENT, FOOL.

(and I haven't even read The Road)

Morris Schæffer
04-06-2009, 03:55 PM
So Dan Brown's novels aren't addictive at all? But I swear I was blasting through the pages like crazy.:P

::waits for the inevitable "Dan Brown is the MacDonalds of novelists" counterargument::

Ezee E
04-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I still get it.

EvilShoe
04-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Expected a trailer, instead found Morris declaring his love for Dan Brown.

Sad times.

Qrazy
04-06-2009, 06:16 PM
So Dan Brown's novels aren't addictive at all? But I swear I was blasting through the pages like crazy.:P

::waits for the inevitable "Dan Brown is the MacDonalds of novelists" counterargument::

Dan Brown is the McDonalds dumpster.

amberlita
04-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Hmm. I should clarify. Yes it could be a great movie (I still have my doubts but I'm also still really looking forward to seeing this), but what I was driving at is that I don't know how anyone could ever think a major studio would want to release a faithful adaptation. I don't think its bleak and mundane tone is marketable to a mass audience and I'm not surprised at all that some executives are concerned the movie won't make money.

Well, I'm just assuming that's what the problem is. I don't really know.

Spun Lepton
04-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Well, I'm just assuming that's what the problem is. I don't really know.

Being "unfaithful" or "too faithful" to the original story wouldn't keep studio execs from releasing it. Even if they hated it, they'd release it in August or Jan/Feb in the hopes to recouping some of the money.

If they truly are trying to bury it, then there had to have been some fundamental problems. Maybe the film stock was ruined or destroyed, maybe the way they filmed it required extensive over-dubbing, and the over-dubbing just didn't work out as they had planned. Maybe the child actor they got was awful and it wasn't apparent until they started editing. Who knows? Any one of a thousand things could shelve it.

The lack of hype, though, really suggests that they're trying to bury it. Who knows, though ... maybe post is just taking an extremely long time.

Ezee E
04-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Being "unfaithful" or "too faithful" to the original story wouldn't keep studio execs from releasing it. Even if they hated it, they'd release it in August or Jan/Feb in the hopes to recouping some of the money.

If they truly are trying to bury it, then there had to have been some fundamental problems. Maybe the film stock was ruined or destroyed, maybe the way they filmed it required extensive over-dubbing, and the over-dubbing just didn't work out as they had planned. Maybe the child actor they got was awful and it wasn't apparent until they started editing. Who knows? Any one of a thousand things could shelve it.

The lack of hype, though, really suggests that they're trying to bury it. Who knows, though ... maybe post is just taking an extremely long time.
The test audiences deemed it boring, and the Weinsteins allegedly pushed it back simply so they could push The Reader into more Oscar categories, which they evidently did.

Spun Lepton
04-06-2009, 08:36 PM
The test audiences deemed it boring, and the Weinsteins allegedly pushed it back simply so they could push The Reader into more Oscar categories, which they evidently did.

Ah, I didn't know it had gotten to test audiences.

Ezee E
04-07-2009, 03:22 AM
Ah, I didn't know it had gotten to test audiences.
Yeah, I didn't really read the reviews too much, just remember it being considered very slow. Didn't read about how well the big scenes turned out.

Watashi
05-02-2009, 12:47 AM
It finally has a release date of October 16th.

Here's a poster:

http://www.awardsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/road1.jpg

Ezee E
05-02-2009, 12:50 AM
I've seen the poster on the left, rumor was that it was a fake.

megladon8
05-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Still no trailer?

*leaves*

BuffaloWilder
05-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Agree 100% here too. The book does very little actual diving into people's heads and is mostly about people, places, things, actions, etc. Sounds like a great starting place for a film to me. It's also present tense and very thin on plot. Should play like Ingmar Bergman directs Mad Max.

Or George Miller directs "The Seventh Seal."

A chessboard game never was so kinetic.

lovejuice
05-04-2009, 11:26 PM
http://www.awardsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/road1.jpg
that's a bitching book cover. seem like lately they do a much better job with movie-tie-in book cover.
http://emmanuellibrary.files.wordpres s.com/2009/03/the-reader2.jpg

Milky Joe
05-13-2009, 02:23 AM
First review is up:
http://www.esquire.com/features/movies/the-road-movie-review-0609

Kurosawa Fan
05-13-2009, 02:43 AM
First review is up:
http://www.esquire.com/features/movies/the-road-movie-review-0609

Wow. I'm definitely excited again. Please don't let them fuck with this cut.

Spun Lepton
05-13-2009, 03:13 AM
W00t! Once again I'm excited for this.

Qrazy
05-13-2009, 04:11 AM
I guess Fabfunk didn't kill The Road afterall. Twat.

Watashi
05-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Finally, there is a trailer (http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/13468916/standardformat/).

And it's fucking awful. It makes the film look like a disaster action film.

number8
05-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Yep, I knew that they were going that way with the trailer. It really is awful.

Wryan
05-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Well that review did say that the movie was nothing like the trailer for it that he watched after finishing the movie. Just normal Weinstein bullshit. Even if the point is to fool enough people into the theatre expecting something else, and even if the movie is good enough to compensate, it's still a shitty tactic.

Taking the footage as a whole without the connotations of a misleading trailer with action cues and Wilhelm screams (wtf), the footage looks pretty good. I'm still anticipating it like mad.

EDIT: And of course Theron is prominently displayed for having all of, what, one scene?

DavidSeven
05-14-2009, 09:19 PM
LOL.

It's like watching a YouTube Fake Trailer. They should do an indie-dramedy version next.

Spun Lepton
05-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I'll have to watch the trailer later, but I'm already dreading it.

:confused:

Ezee E
05-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Omar only gets .25 secs. Lame.

MacGuffin
05-14-2009, 10:39 PM
The trailer sucks; the footage looks surprisingly great.

megladon8
05-14-2009, 10:41 PM

This.

Ezee E
05-14-2009, 10:44 PM
The bridge shot especially.

Sven
05-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Wilhelm screams (wtf)

I don't believe the scream you are referring to is a Wilhelm scream. This is the Wilhelm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio). I believe you heard this (http://webextras.allmusic.com/200801/278cf1b9b8ede521.mp3), though I don't know if it has a name.

number8
05-14-2009, 11:21 PM
The bridge shot especially.

Real, by the way. Not CG.

Sven
05-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Real, by the way. Not CG.

The smoke has to be. At least touched up.

number8
05-14-2009, 11:29 PM
The smoke has to be. At least touched up.

I think he said they composited the smoke from 9/11 footage or something like that.

Sven
05-14-2009, 11:35 PM
I think he said they composited the smoke from 9/11 footage or something like that.

Whoa.

megladon8
05-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Well then it's still an effect, right?

I always find that a little tricky when filmmakers say that something was done "without CGI" - it kind of infers that they did it without effects at all, the way they say it.

It's like The Fountain. There was lots about how they did the space effects without the aid of CGI...but it was still a special effect. It just happened to not be computer generated.

But it wasn't a naturally captured, unedited image.

Dead & Messed Up
05-15-2009, 12:12 AM
It's like The Fountain. There was lots about how they did the space effects without the aid of CGI...but it was still a special effect. It just happened to not be computer generated.

Indeed, and certainly computers were involved in the compositing of all those elements, but there is something awesome about those effects not being CGI. Probably because the method actually ties in with the themes of the film.

megladon8
05-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Indeed, and certainly computers were involved in the compositing of all those elements, but there is something awesome about those effects not being CGI. Probably because the method actually ties in with the themes of the film.

Yes for sure. I think they're some of the most effective and beautiful space images I've ever seen.

But I still find it a little deceptive when directors/producers/whatever pimp out a certain scene as being done "entirely without CGI", because while that doesn't mean the image used no special effects of any kind, it's a tricky use of words that can lead one to believe that it was all real.

It's a similar situation with Nolan's Batman films. A big part of the action of those films was that Nolan hates CGI and wanted to use as little as possible. But they're still filled with effects work, and what we see in the final action sequences is far from being what was initially captured with the camera.

Sycophant
05-15-2009, 12:58 AM
CGI stands for computer generated imagery.

trotchky
05-15-2009, 04:40 AM

Yup.

Kurosawa Fan
05-15-2009, 05:06 AM
Oh God. Oh God, please let that be a very misleading trailer.

Ezee E
05-15-2009, 05:17 AM
Oh God. Oh God, please let that be a very misleading trailer.
Definitely is. Hillcoat has said that he wants the movie to follow the book as far as not knowing what even created the disaster.

It'll be funny to see people expecting the next torture horror movie with that guy from The Last House on the Left.

number8
05-15-2009, 06:24 AM
CGI stands for computer generated imagery.

I was gonna say the same.

Boner M
05-15-2009, 06:29 AM
I am able to overlook the stock trailer tropes and be excited by the footage shown.

megladon8
05-15-2009, 06:37 AM
Was anyone disputing what CGI stands for?

number8
05-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Was anyone disputing what CGI stands for?

No, but if filmmakers say their films don't have CGI and people mistake that for no effects, then that's their own ignorance. Compositing, green screen, etc, while done on computer, is not Computer Generated Imagery. There is no deception whatsoever.

number8
05-15-2009, 09:36 AM
You know what the trailer looks like? It looks like David Aja remaking Deliverance.

Skitch
05-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Trailer seems okay to me. I (must be the last person on earth) haven't read the book. Should I wait till after the movie so I'm not as disappointed?

Qrazy
05-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Trailer seems okay to me. I (must be the last person on earth) haven't read the book. Should I wait till after the movie so I'm not as disappointed?

Even risking disappointment with poor adaptations I always suggest reading the book first. That way your imagination isn't colored by the vision of the filmmaker. It's easier to separate an adaptation from an original work and to give it some room for change than to try to not imagine the actors/imagery you've already witnessed in the book you're now reading.

Spun Lepton
05-15-2009, 11:27 PM

Just know that the story actually has a rather languid pace, it's not the action-blaster that the trailer makes it out to be. If Hillcoat is faithful, anyway. That said, yes, the footage itself looks really, REALLY promising. The trailer is terribly misleading, though.

Skitch
05-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Even risking disappointment with poor adaptations I always suggest reading the book first. That way your imagination isn't colored by the vision of the filmmaker. It's easier to separate an adaptation from an original work and to give it some room for change than to try to not imagine the actors/imagery you've already witnessed in the book you're now reading.

That is a great point.

Just know that the story actually has a rather languid pace, it's not the action-blaster that the trailer makes it out to be. If Hillcoat is faithful, anyway. That said, yes, the footage itself looks really, REALLY promising. The trailer is terribly misleading, though.

I've heard.

I thought the same of The Beach movie vs. book. Saw the movie, dug it (still do), got the book, read it, its a lot slower, I actually like the book better. I kinda felt like I would have disliked the movie if I had read the book first. I mean, lets face it, the book is generally always better than the film.

Boner M
05-16-2009, 04:23 AM
The ever-reliable Glenn Kenny just posted this comment on Jeff Wells' blog:

I saw a cut of this in...January, was it?...and no, it didn't have any of that fake CNN stuff in it. I hope it's exclusive to the trailer, which is a very poor representation of the film. The film itself is one of the most relentless and relentlessly bleak things I've ever seen. Incredibly potent. Really ballsy.
:pritch:

Ezee E
08-31-2009, 02:42 AM
Rumored to be at Telluride. That would be AWESOME.

Stay Puft
08-31-2009, 02:59 AM
It has a competition slot in Venice. Plays Sept. 3rd.

SirNewt
09-02-2009, 05:26 AM
After seeing the footage, is anyone else thinking "this is the book." It looks so much like I imagined it.

Ezee E
09-02-2009, 12:26 PM
YUSS... It's confirmed that this will be playing in Telluride after its premiere in Venice. I wonder if Hillcoat or Mortenson will make it.

AWESOME.

MadMan
09-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Haven't read the book, but after seeing the trailer for it last night it looks rather bleak. Not sure I'm in the mood to see something that bleak, but The Proposition is quite bleak and its one of the best movies of the decade. Consider my interest peaked, at this point.

Ezee E
09-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Haven't read the book, but after seeing the trailer for it last night it looks rather bleak. Not sure I'm in the mood to see something that bleak, but The Proposition is quite bleak and its one of the best movies of the decade. Consider my interest peaked, at this point.

It is weak that you haven't read the book. Yes, it's bleak, and your interest should be peaked by the fact that it is my favorite book that I've ever read. I don't think I've tweaked my favorites since either.

Uh oh, there's a leak.

MadMan
09-02-2009, 07:47 PM
It is weak that you haven't read the book. Yes, it's bleak, and your interest should be peaked by the fact that it is my favorite book that I've ever read. I don't think I've tweaked my favorites since either.

Uh oh, there's a leak.Yey, rhyming :lol:

Yeah yeah, I know I should read the book before the movie comes out. But I'm really goddamn lazy, and I just don't seem to have time for books anymore. Hell I haven't been watching that many movies recently, either.

bac0n
09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Yey, rhyming :lol:

Yeah yeah, I know I should read the book before the movie comes out. But I'm really goddamn lazy, and I just don't seem to have time for books anymore. Hell I haven't been watching that many movies recently, either.

Yeah, I felt the same way when Spun got me the book for me boithday a few years ago. To humor him, I opened the book with the intention of reading the first paragraph or so. Eight hours later I was halfway through the thing. The next day I finished it. It's a fascinating, gripping read.

Raiders
09-10-2009, 01:28 AM
UGH. Now we gotta wait 'til Thanksgiving. Not too sure how to peg this move. Is this all about Oscar positioning? I would think mid-October still works as far as that goes.

BuffaloWilder
09-10-2009, 01:37 AM
If that's true, it may be the first post-apocalyptic movie to ever enter the running. Ever.

A milestone.

Ezee E
09-10-2009, 02:05 AM
UGH. Now we gotta wait 'til Thanksgiving. Not too sure how to peg this move. Is this all about Oscar positioning? I would think mid-October still works as far as that goes.
I say it's a good move. Putting it out in October with 10 other horror films would be a bad idea I think.

It's tough to describe this movie since I've read the book. Minor spoiler the only thing that might be overdone is the ending with the use of music, but otherwise, it remains the exact same. It's tough to watch, sad, and Viggo/Kodi make the impossible work.

I consider this book the best I've ever read. The fact that the movie works on that level means SOMETHING. I just don't know what else to add that the book hasn't. And for those that haven't read it, well, it shows a dangerous portrait of humanity when stripped of technology, order, and hope. Similar to No Country For Old Men, it remains suspenseful throughout, but never really emphasizes a moment, it just moves right on to the next moment.

number8
10-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Just saw it.

I crieeeeeeed.

number8
10-13-2009, 08:58 PM
By the way, the product placement talk from a while back seems incredibly silly to me now. They never even identified the soda as Coke. It's just a canned soda. Even the logo is obscured because the can is frozen.

Spun Lepton
10-13-2009, 10:49 PM
You folks are making me pretty excited for this. The book is one of the best I've read in a really long time. I wept at the end of it ... the movie's probably going to kill me.

number8
10-23-2009, 05:22 AM
Worst poster ever.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb52/The_Playlist/theroad.jpg

Saya
10-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Wow, that is a really bad poster. What's up with that tag line? They didn't give an explanation for the state of the world in the movie, right?

Kurosawa Fan
10-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Awful.

megladon8
10-24-2009, 01:46 PM
They played the trailer before Paranormal Activity.

It's an awful trailer. Makes the movie look like 2012.

Ezee E
10-25-2009, 12:34 AM
They played the trailer before Paranormal Activity.

It's an awful trailer. Makes the movie look like 2012.
Quite curious at how people are going to look at this movie actually. I need to see it again for myself.

kuehnepips
10-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Yey, rhyming :lol:

Well, at least I have the book right here.

Dillard
11-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Wall Street Journal interview (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870457620457452 9703577274572.html) with both Cormac McCarthy and John Hillcoat (mostly with McCarthy). Great stuff.

chrisnu
12-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Just saw it.

I crieeeeeeed.
So did I.

See this film.

Barty
12-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Chrisnu, what theatre did you see it at?

chrisnu
12-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Chrisnu, what theatre did you see it at?
UA Marketplace - Long Beach 6. It's playing in theater 1, their biggest one.

Barty
12-01-2009, 08:22 PM
UA Marketplace - Long Beach 6. It's playing in theater 1, their biggest one.

OMG that was you. That's the theatre I run lol. I was standing in box office and I swear I thought it was you buying a ticket. :pritch:

Anytime you come, ticket is on me from now on.

Derek
12-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Hmm, just looked it up and that theater's only 20 miles from me. I'll have to meet you guys for a movie one of these days.

Barty
12-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Hmm, just looked it up and that theater's only 20 miles from me. I'll have to meet you guys for a movie one of these days.

Definitely, Oscar season is coming up and we should be booked with some limited release films. Just let me know if your ever coming by also Derek, and you won't have to pay.

Watashi
12-01-2009, 09:46 PM
You can always come to my theater you guys.

Mine's cooler.

Ezee E
12-02-2009, 12:09 AM

Mine's cooler.
But would it be free?

Derek
12-02-2009, 12:23 AM

Mine's cooler.

Are you still at the one in Brea? That'd be another 15 miles from me. Maybe if you threw in free concessions on top of a free ticket, I'd make the drive. ;)

number8
12-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Apparently in preparation and during the shoot, Viggo would spend most of his free time hanging out with homeless people.

Watashi
12-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Are you still at the one in Brea? That'd be another 15 miles from me. Maybe if you threw in free concessions on top of a free ticket, I'd make the drive. ;)
It's a deal.

Watashi
12-02-2009, 01:37 AM
You'd have to see the movie with me though. Can't just give out free popcorn and drinks to just everyone who walks in.

Spaceman Spiff
12-02-2009, 04:01 AM
You'd have to see the movie with me though. Can't just give out free popcorn and drinks to just everyone who walks in.

And theeeeeeere's the catch.

The Mike
12-02-2009, 04:19 AM
If there's one thing theater employment's taught me, it's that there are no free concessions.

Dead & Messed Up
12-02-2009, 04:51 AM
If there's one thing theater employment's taught me, it's that there are no free concessions.

Theater employment taught me not to pursue theater employment. Unless it's with Teubert.

Mysterious Dude
12-05-2009, 01:32 AM
One thing I kinda didn't like about this movie was the CGI. It's pretty subdued compared to other movies these days -- mostly still backdrops -- but I think the movie would have been served better with even less of it.

I also want to know how those two boats got on the freeway. That seemed like an image that belonged more in 2012 or Cloverfield.

number8
12-05-2009, 09:45 PM
What CGI were you referring to?

The boats were real. It was stock footage of Katrina.

Mysterious Dude
12-05-2009, 11:29 PM
What CGI were you referring to?

The boats were real. It was stock footage of Katrina.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/Isaac3159/road1.jpg

Perhaps, but I suspect there is quite a lot of CGI in that shot. There are several wide establishing shots like this one throughout the movie.

I think all the smoke is my biggest problem. It just doesn't look real.

number8
12-05-2009, 11:34 PM
It's actually just the smoke, which they took from 9/11. Everything else in that shot are real.

megladon8
12-05-2009, 11:36 PM
They used smoke from 9/11 in a movie effect?

I find that offensive.

The Mike
12-05-2009, 11:50 PM
They used smoke from 9/11 in a movie effect?

I find that offensive.
You're Canadian. :P

number8
12-05-2009, 11:53 PM

The director's Australian. :P

Ezee E
12-06-2009, 12:05 AM
I find it an amazing shot.

megladon8
12-06-2009, 12:29 AM

'Twas a joke :P

The Mike
12-06-2009, 01:24 AM
'Twas a joke :PTwas also. :P

Dukefrukem
12-07-2009, 07:33 PM
wrong thread

Malickfan
12-15-2009, 03:30 PM
So when does this go nationwide? It's still not playing here in Fayetteville NC or back in Iowa for all I know.

Wryan
12-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Good movie. Mortensen really convinces. The boy was great. It moved a lot faster than I thought it would, either great editing or just shorter than I was expecting. Didn't affect me to the degree the book did, though, even considering it's a movie adaptation.

Sxottlan
01-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Well this was disappointing. And boring.

SirNewt
01-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Well this was disappointing. And boring.

Someone who can, please neg rep this.

ledfloyd
01-11-2010, 04:57 AM
i really didn't like this. is it awful? not by any means. but the voiceover and score and the added scenes with charlize's character all seem to sentimentalize things and make it less despairing than it should be. the first person narration really irks me. the ending still is pretty great.

Ezee E
01-11-2010, 10:28 AM
i really didn't like this. is it awful? not by any means. but the voiceover and score and the added scenes with charlize's character all seem to sentimentalize things and make it less despairing than it should be. the first person narration really irks me. the ending still is pretty great.
I swear that the Charlize scenes are straight from the book. Nothing added.

number8
01-11-2010, 11:49 AM
I swear that the Charlize scenes are straight from the book. Nothing added.

They're not actually invented, but in the book they're not scenes, just the Man mentioning they happened in some of his running thoughts. Obviously in a movie, you have to present them as scenes, and that means expanding them.

I also think it was a good decision to make the wife's despair more gradual and understandable, as a woman out of her wits, when in the book she's pretty much just a hysterical character (Cormac McCarthy himself admits that he's not good at writing female characters).

ledfloyd
01-11-2010, 01:12 PM
i only remember two or three scenes with the wife from the book. i definitely don't remember a childbirth scene. i do recall him remembering the flashes of light and the scene where she left. other than that i can't remember many others.

Kurosawa Fan
01-28-2010, 04:05 AM
This was disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie, and it's a bold effort by Hillcoat, but if it proved anything it's that the book was just too difficult of a transfer to screen. Without the father's inner dialogue, the story lacked much of the emotional punch, and the repetition became more noticeable and less effective. Great performances across the board by everyone involved, even those will very limited screen time. Great realization of an apocalyptic vision. It just didn't reach me on the same emotional level as the novel.

Boner M
02-01-2010, 02:45 AM
This was disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie, and it's a bold effort by Hillcoat, but if it proved anything it's that the book was just too difficult of a transfer to screen. Without the father's inner dialogue, the story lacked much of the emotional punch, and the repetition became more noticeable and less effective. Great performances across the board by everyone involved, even those will very limited screen time. Great realization of an apocalyptic vision. It just didn't reach me on the same emotional level as the novel.
Agreed completely with all of this, though I think I liked it a little less, probably because of Cave/Ellis's uneven score and the handling of the ending, which felt pat on the screen, esp. with the aforementioned music score. The entire experience was a little static, since I was mostly just waiting for each coming scene and seeing how it would stack up against my memory of the novel.

In short, I'm never reading again.

Sycophant
02-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Am I allowed to have this opinion without having read the novel?

Kurosawa Fan
02-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Am I allowed to have this opinion without having read the novel?

I say yes.

Wryan
02-09-2010, 08:14 PM

More or less the same as me, although I certainly did like it.

Grouchy
05-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Well, I haven't read the novel, but I liked this. It conveys the desperation of the characters very well, and although it moves at a very languid pace it inmediately picks up when it has to be suspenseful. The scene with the old man is a highlight of the more contemplative moments, but then again, I have a soft spot for Robert Duvall. Some things that felt offbeat for me are probably the result of loyalty to the book. Specifically:

The resolution with the happy family adopting the boy. I think the scene is perfect for prose, specially with the irony of the "we were following you" line. But in the movie, the fact that that happened so out of the blue was a bit odd for me. It didn't kill the ending, but it didn't feel completely natural either.

Pop Trash
06-25-2010, 04:40 PM
I watched this a few days ago, and while I liked it immediately after it was over, I now feel like I can barely remember it. I haven't read the novel, but taken on its own as a film (as all films should) it seems to come up a little short. I feel like Romero has been covering this territory for a few decades now, but since his films involve zombies, they don't have the high-brow literary pretensions of this. There's nothing really wrong with it per se, but it might just be a case of too little, too late.

Yxklyx
04-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Rise from the dead....

Rented this after seeing Viggo in Green Book. Loved the hell out of it! Perfect tone carried throughout - a great mood piece.

Dukefrukem
04-01-2019, 05:41 PM
A mood I never want to be in ever again.

Ezee E
04-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Never reached the intensity of the book. Although, not much can. I think the book may be a top five of all time.

megladon8
04-01-2019, 07:30 PM
The book had me crying from both sadness and desperation at several points.

The movie is an incredible adaptation, but like E said, nothing could ever fully mimic that book.

bac0n
04-11-2019, 02:35 AM
I was afraid to see the movie after having read the book. One scene from the book in particular.

Don't know what finally inspired me to watch it. I was a little relieved that the movie wasn't quite as bleak. A real downer to be sure, but man, the book fucked my shit right up.

Ezee E
04-11-2019, 02:48 AM
I was afraid to see the movie after having read the book. One scene from the book in particular.

Don't know what finally inspired me to watch it. I was a little relieved that the movie wasn't quite as bleak. A real downer to be sure, but man, the book fucked my shit right up.

Which scene?

megladon8
04-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Which scene?

I’m going to hazard a guess that it may be the one that hit me the most, too (can’t remember if it’s in the movie, though...)

When the boy asks “what would you do if I died?” And the man responds “I would want to die, too.”