PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep your books pristine?

SpaceOddity
01-16-2008, 07:09 PM
*doesn't*
I like mine to display the stigmata of my use.

Sycophant
01-16-2008, 07:18 PM
*doesn't*
I like mine to display the stigmata of my use.

When I realized that all of my books wouldn't look like lofty volumes of high learning, equal in size and leather-bound to impressive perfection, and that, frankly, I was going to have to throw a couple paperbacks into the mix, I stopped caring much for the presentation of my books. I still don't like my hardcovers to get too messy, but I don't mind a little wear (can't stand tears in the jackets, though).

jenniferofthejungle
01-16-2008, 07:23 PM
I treat them better than I treat myself.

I cannot stand books that have broken spines, torn covers, or are so worn they no longer have corners.

SpaceOddity
01-16-2008, 07:26 PM
My books like it rough. :p

jenniferofthejungle
01-16-2008, 07:34 PM
My books like it rough. :p

:lol: Rawr.

You should see me try to read a huge hardcover without cracking the spine. It's pathetic. :lol:

Ezee E
01-16-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't really damage books enough to get worse then "okay" condition. I just don't know how they can get worse since it's only near my bed or in a backpack.

Sycophant
01-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Oh, I can never mark up the inside of books, though. They might get a vigorous reading that may manifest itself on the spine, but the pages themselves are to be left near-perfect. I abhor stains, folds, and highlighting.

As a child, I had a box of stickers that I kept and never used, because every occasion on which it occurred to me to use them, I always held out for a better reason. I treated my books much the same way back then (the crack of a hardcover really did send chills and guilt down my own spine), but I've eased up somewhat.

Now my DVD collection, no one fucks with.

jenniferofthejungle
01-16-2008, 07:38 PM
I also hate it when books get that wonky lean due to improper storing. ARGH! That makes me crazy.

megladon8
01-16-2008, 07:44 PM
I keep books as pristine as possible.

I never crack the spine, dog-ear the pages, or anything. And if I'm reading a hardcover, I remove the dust jacket so as to avoid damaging it.

I never lend books out, because no one takes care of them sufficiently. I HATE when people fold books around in half, not just cracking but all out breaking the spine.

D_Davis
01-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Hell no.

I don't collect books - I read them.

Books are like tools. Through proper use, they will get messed up. I write notes in my books, I fold pages, and I crease the spine. I stop at dunking them under water.

You should see my PKD books, especially the biography. It has dozens of folded pages, underlines, highlights, post it notes... It is read, used, and loved.

There are a few books I treat nicely, and I don't like them. Basically, it's all the small press Lansdale stuff. The only way to get a lot of his books is to order them in HB from Subterranean Press - and they are mostly signed, limited edition copies. I would much prefer a trade paperback that I could curl up and stick in my pocket.

SpaceOddity
01-16-2008, 08:05 PM
I never lend books out, because no one takes care of them sufficiently. I HATE when people fold books around in half, not just cracking but all out breaking the spine.

Well I hate borrowing, anyway. So there.
*sticks tongue out*

I like my books new, without their secrets leached.

Kurosawa Fan
01-16-2008, 08:47 PM
I read my books. Whatever condition they're in after, they go on the shelf. I don't go out of my way to beat them up, but I don't carry them around in a zip-lock bag either. A book should look like someone has read it.

I am against highlighting though. For some reason that really bothers me. I usually don't loan stuff from friends, but when I do and there's writing/highlighting, it bugs the hell out of me. Let me decide what's important. Since it bugs me when others do it to their books, I don't do it to mine.

Qrazy
01-16-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't like highlighting either but I bracket in the margins and write notes sometimes, although I prefer to keep them clean. My covers usually get destroyed though, don't mean to just happens... keeping it in a pocket, reading on railway, backpack etc etc.

ledfloyd
01-16-2008, 10:04 PM
i have some paperbacks that look like they've never been read. i never crack spines or mar pages.

i hear jen on the wonky hardcovers though. this for some reason happens whenever i read in bed. i think it's the way i hold the book in the air with one hand. i like paperbacks better anyhow.

oh, and reading a book someone else has underlined or highlighted drives me absolutely mad. i remember in a copy of great gatsby i read a sentence was underlined and it said "sums up whole book" in the margin. i couldn't stop thinking about it the entire book.

monolith94
01-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I open my books all the way up, and dog-ear pages that I find particularly amazing, but unless I'm reading for a class, I usually don't go far beyond that.

Mysterious Dude
01-16-2008, 10:14 PM
No.

And when I buy a book that has a ribbon attached to it, I cut it off.

Sycophant
01-16-2008, 10:25 PM
No.

And when I buy a book that has a ribbon attached to it, I cut it off.You have a heart of stone.

D_Davis
01-16-2008, 10:33 PM
The only thing I don't like is when pages start falling out. When this happens, I buy a new copy.

I try to only buy used books now, and when I go to the store, I buy the cheapest one I can find in which the pages are still securely attached.

jenniferofthejungle
01-16-2008, 10:59 PM
I try to only buy used books now, and when I go to the store, I buy the cheapest one I can find in which the pages are still securely attached.

I've bought a few used books on amazon and have never been disappointed by the condition they were in, but if I found a book I wanted and it was in poor condition I'd probably pass on it. I can't get past that. The only exceptions would be an art book or a TPB that I wanted to rip apart for a collage anyway.

If I find a great passage in a book I'll jot it down on a separate notebook or on scrap paper, but I haven't done that in a while.

D_Davis
01-16-2008, 11:04 PM
For $20, I can got to BnN and get 1 new Trade, or maybe 2 new paperbacks, or I can go to a used books store and buy the old paperbacks for like 20 cents to a couple bucks, allowing me to by dozens of books for the same price.

They read the same, and I go for quantity over quality when it comes to books. New books are way too damn expensive anyhow. I've seen new MM PBs selling for $9.99! That is just crazy.

lovejuice
01-16-2008, 11:49 PM
i read fast so my books tend to be in perfect condition. then again when i buy a book, i prefer that it is not in a perfect condition. even a first hand, if possible, i'll pick one that has little torn or such.

Mysterious Dude
01-17-2008, 12:19 AM
You have a heart of stone.
I know. I'm a monster.

Duncan
01-17-2008, 08:20 PM
My books all look like they've been through a war. I break spines, dog-ear pages, underline, make margin notes, etc. Also, and this is a bit embarrassing, I have very sweaty palms so all my books have...water damage.

D_Davis
01-17-2008, 09:03 PM
My books all look like they've been through a war. I break spines, dog-ear pages, underline, make margin notes, etc. Also, and this is a bit embarrassing, I have very sweaty palms so all my books have...water damage.

Yay!

Except for the sweaty palms...

:)

Melville
01-17-2008, 10:30 PM
I always break spines and dog-ear pages (who can be bothered with a bookmark?), but I generally only make notes or underlines passages in philosophy books.

ledfloyd
01-17-2008, 10:32 PM
The only thing I don't like is when pages start falling out. When this happens, I buy a new copy.

that happened to my brand new copy of great shark hunt the first time i read it. i can't make myself spend another $16 on it.

Sven
01-17-2008, 10:36 PM
In my book (pun mos' def' intended), spines were meant to be cracked, pages to be folded, paper to be written on, text to be annotated.

I wish I'd've thought to start marking up my copy of Moby Dick, because there's so damn much in there that is startling, riveting, inspiring, hilarious, and classic. Oh well. Gives me a reason to read it again!

D_Davis
01-17-2008, 10:49 PM
My dad still has his Bible from when he was in Seminary. It is one of the most well-loved books I've ever seen. He's probably written his own bible-length book of notes in the margins, he's double and triple underlined thousands of passages in various colors of ink, and the thing just feels well used. I love looking through it.

To me, this is how books should be used.

jesse
01-17-2008, 11:06 PM
While I like keeping my books in as nice of condition as possible, the way I throw them into my bag and carry them around with me everywhere inevitably leads to some obvious wear-and-tear. But I'm a compulsive underliner--I always have a pencil (and only a pencil) handy when I'm reading.

jesse
01-17-2008, 11:14 PM
I am against highlighting though. For some reason that really bothers me. I usually don't loan stuff from friends, but when I do and there's writing/highlighting, it bugs the hell out of me. Let me decide what's important. Since it bugs me when others do it to their books, I don't do it to mine. Hmmm, I'm the exact opposite--I rather enjoy coming across underlining, notes, any indication of a human presence, really. It just gives the book a history, and I get a feeling that I'm connected to somebody else even if there is no way I could ever know who that person is. And I like little notes and stuff, even if it always makes me pause for a moment or two and compare what is written to my reactions.

But I particularly love when buying a used book and finding something stuck in it--a scrap of paper with a list scrawled on it, a newspaper clipping, even receipts. My favorite is a small black and white school picture of a little boy, probably from the 60's, that I found in my copy of Franny and Zooey. I've used it as a bookmark every time I've revisited the book.

Malickfan
09-16-2008, 04:28 PM
I usually treat my books and dvd's VERY well. I blame it on collecting baseball cards and comic books as a kid. I used to be real bad. It would drive me nuts if I had a bent corner on a paperback book.

I treat my hardcovers good. Got a couple 1st editions of The Road which are valued at $300 plus each.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 05:54 PM
I actually dislike 1st editions now - I am too scared to read them. Unfortunately, many of the authors I am getting into now only release stuff through small press, and so I have to get them as collector's items if I even want to read them. Just yesterday I got a beautiful edition of a book. It is limited to only 1000 copies, and so far as anyone knows, it will not be reprinted. Books by the same author are already selling for over $500, and are now impossible to find just to read.

Malickfan
09-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I wish I had a signed first edition of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. That book went into its 7th printing in the first week. That book is approaching The Road in terms of value.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Do you really care about the $ value of books?

I just want to read them, and have them to reread later.

The only reason I buy 1st editions of books by certain authors (Lansdale, Ligotti, Cisco, et al) is because if I wait, there is a good chance that there won't be a second pressing and then the books that have been published will be too expensive. And since no libraries around here carry many of these small press genre authors, it's either buy the limited edition or don't read it.

I hate collecting stuff for the sake of collecting. I do like owning books because I like to revisit them, mark in them, and use them.

Given the choice, I would rather buy an old, used beat up edition of a Ligotti book because it is cheaper. But seeing as how few of these actually exist in the first place, I am left to spend money on collectors editions. I would actually rather pay a few bucks for a PDF I could download and print out!

Malickfan
09-16-2008, 06:21 PM
No, but it's always a pleasant surprise. Like I read my first 1st edition of The Road and loved it...then when Oprah chose to have it in her book club and it was being nominated for awards, someone pointed out that the 1st editions were in the $200's at the time. So I went to the local Borders and bought another one.

But still, I keep my books looking real good. Kind of an OCD complex. It'd be hard to break that habit.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 06:25 PM
No, but it's always a pleasant surprise. Like I read my first 1st edition of The Road and loved it...then when Oprah chose to have it in her book club and it was being nominated for awards, someone pointed out that the 1st editions were in the $200's at the time. So I went to the local Borders and bought another one.

But still, I keep my books looking real good. Kind of an OCD complex. It'd be hard to break that habit.

Ah, I see. Makes sense.

Kurosawa Fan
09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Wow. I might have a 1st edition of The Road. I bought it long before it was on Oprah's radar. I'll have to check when I get home. If so, I'm so selling that thing.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Wow. I might have a 1st edition of The Road. I bought it long before it was on Oprah's radar. I'll have to check when I get home. If so, I'm so selling that thing.

Heck yeah. Sell it on e-bay and then re-buy a cheap-o paper back!

Kurosawa Fan
09-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Heck yeah. Sell it on e-bay and then re-buy a cheap-o paper back!

Exact-a-mundo! Or a PS3! Woo hoo!

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Exact-a-mundo! Or a PS3! Woo hoo!

Now you're talkin'!

And then you can just buy the Blu-ray of The Road and you won't have to read!

Kurosawa Fan
09-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Now you're talkin'!

And then you can just buy the Blu-ray of The Road and you won't have to read!

Yeah! Fuck reading!

....wait.

Duncan
09-17-2008, 04:35 PM
I bought my copy of Lolita used. The book was in perfect condition except for the commentary essay at the end which was thoroughly underlined and marked-up with notes. Some student probably had an paper due the next day and didn't feel like actually reading the novel. People are funny sometimes. I like that I have this little indiscretion to hold over some stranger I'll never meet.

Malickfan
09-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Did Cliffs Notes ever do one for Lolita?

Kurosawa Fan
09-17-2008, 04:50 PM
My copy of The Road is a first edition! How the hell do I go about selling this thing for $300? Help me, quick!

Malickfan
09-17-2008, 04:53 PM
My copy of The Road is a first edition! How the hell do I go about selling this thing for $300? Help me, quick!

Good luck with that. It's like owning a Honus Wagner baeball card and trying to find a buyer.

Kurosawa Fan
09-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Good luck with that. It's like owning a Honus Wagner baeball card and trying to find a buyer.

Suck. I got all excited for nothing?

Malickfan
09-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Suck. I got all excited for nothing?You never know. The sellers on Abebooks.com are pretty much the same ones since the value started going up.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Cormac+McCart hy&sortby=1&tn=The+Road&x=75&y=14

Ezee E
09-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I've never heard of a "book collector."

Honus Wagner card buyers sure... Because it's a one of a kind.

I can buy a hard copy of The Road two miles away. Sure, it's not the first edition, but what difference is that from the new edition?

Malickfan
09-18-2008, 02:28 AM
Yeah, I've never heard of a "book collector."

Honus Wagner card buyers sure... Because it's a one of a kind.

I can buy a hard copy of The Road two miles away. Sure, it's not the first edition, but what difference is that from the new edition?

Book collectors are out there. I'm sure they look like Johnny Depp and are looking for books about hell.

The Road...it's just the printing. No other difference really. 1st editions just get more. I wouldn't expect much in value for books from Stephen King or John Grisham...but if it didn't have a major press run and gets accolades, it can jump up in price.