PDA

View Full Version : Safety Not Guaranteed (Colin Trevorrow)

EyesWideOpen
06-16-2012, 07:08 PM
imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1862079/)

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc261/gothamcentral79/Safety.jpg

EyesWideOpen
06-24-2012, 12:50 AM
The more I think about this the more I like it. Aubrey Plaza did a great job in what is her first leading role.

Kiusagi
06-24-2012, 12:58 AM
How much screen time does Kristen Bell have? More or less a cameo, I assume?

EyesWideOpen
06-24-2012, 01:38 AM
How much screen time does Kristen Bell have? More or less a cameo, I assume?

She's in it for just a few minutes but she's an important character.

Thirdmango
06-28-2012, 07:37 AM
This is basically the perfect movie for me. Not saying it's a perfect movie, but that it's tailored specifically for someone like me. It hit me in all the right places. I emotionally connected with pretty much everything. I know most won't like it as much as me, but one or two of you might.

That ending was the best. I told a friend of mine today I saw it and he said he was there at Sundance for the Q&A and apparently they shot both endings and did it for a bunch of test screens and the one they have now blew the other completely out of the water. (pun intended)

eternity
07-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Who said you can't make a good movie based on a tired internet meme? The surprise of the year so far, for me.

MadMan
11-23-2012, 10:46 PM
I actually dug this a great deal, and the film got better and better as it went along. The entire cast was fantastic, and I was surprised at how the film concluded. BTW, I want a sequel featuring the pair of them traveling through time, even though it would give away how the film ended.

My favorite part was probably the training sequence, which was funny and delightful.

Lucky
01-25-2013, 11:06 AM
This is basically the perfect movie for me. Not saying it's a perfect movie, but that it's tailored specifically for someone like me. It hit me in all the right places. I emotionally connected with pretty much everything. I know most won't like it as much as me, but one or two of you might.

That ending was the best. I told a friend of mine today I saw it and he said he was there at Sundance for the Q&A and apparently they shot both endings and did it for a bunch of test screens and the one they have now blew the other completely out of the water. (pun intended)

I'm a little disappointed that they even shot the other ending. I prefer to think this was the plan from the beginning. I ended up enjoying this more than I expected. "Surprise of the year" is pretty applicable to me as well.

Watashi
02-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Huh. I didn't like this. I don't think the movie deserved its ending at all. I liked when the movie turned dark and explored that this guy might be crazy, but then the film reminded itself that it was a Sundance darling and said, "nope, we have to end this happily". A disappointment. Too much twee wish fulfillment for me.

Kurosawa Fan
02-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Really surprised by all the positive scores for this. It's pretty bad. It's all forced quirk and whimsy without a shred of genuine emotion. It is really poorly constructed (especially in regards to the time travel plot), is way too on the nose dealing with post-college ennui, and is fairly poorly acted. It hits all the standard indie movie tropes (Hip alt/acoustic soundtrack! Bizarre but lovable romantic interest! Fun music montage!) and does nothing to separate itself in any way. Has a few funny moments, but any and all payoffs at the end are totally empty, unearned, and unmoving.

Blech.

Stay Puft
03-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Eh, I didn't think was bad, but I find myself agreeing with KFan and Wats. It's superficially charming and entertaining but also clumsy and halfbaked. That opening scene, for example, is indicative of much of the film's lazy shortcuts (voice-over character exposition re-contextualized as akward/funny answer to a interview question, just a painful scene to sit through). The ending is funny but only in its incongruity - I feel like the entire film was building to either possibility, so the end result was irrelevant, just another clumsy metaphor for the film's feelgood Sundance message. As KFan suggests, the poor construction of the plot and its sci-fi elements does not hold up to scrutiny, so the ending is a really just a narrative deadend, offering none of the inspiring possibilities or ambiguities the film wants to suggest (Jeff holds his hand up to cheer them on, but what's the point? The end.). Had some good moments, though.

Winston*
03-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Oh man, I hated this. Phony indie emotions.

Grouchy
09-27-2013, 03:57 AM
Cringe-worthy from beginning to end. I don't want to say anyone who likes it has bad taste, but... the movie is so awful that I have to say it.