PDA

View Full Version : Rock of Ages (Adam Shankman)

TGM
06-16-2012, 02:06 AM
ROCK OF AGES

Director: Adam Shankman

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1336608/)

http://www.entertainmentwallpaper.com/images/desktops/movie/rock-of-ages04.jpg

TGM
06-16-2012, 02:07 AM
This movie was just as glorious as I was hoping it'd be. It's so fun and cheesy, and so self aware. The music was great, and the cast really impressed all around. But god, Tom Cruise, he just kills it here.

The theater I saw it in was pretty empty, though, so I doubt this is gonna do too well, which is kind of a shame, 'cause this is actually pretty damn good. I had a blast with this, but I just know it's one of those movies that woulda been a helluva lot more fun with a big crowd.

Ivan Drago
06-16-2012, 02:19 AM
This movie was just as glorious as I was hoping it'd be. It's so fun and cheesy, and so self aware. The music was great, and the cast really impressed all around. But god, Tom Cruise, he just kills it here.

The theater I saw it in was pretty empty, though, so I doubt this is gonna do too well, which is kind of a shame, 'cause this is actually pretty damn good. I had a blast with this, but I just know it's one of those movies that woulda been a helluva lot more fun with a big crowd.

I saw it with a big crowd at an advance screening a few weeks ago.

I saw no trailers for it whatsoever beforehand, and had a blast watching it, especially as a lover of 80s music and cheesy 80s movies. I still don't know what my favorite musical number was.

Fezzik
06-16-2012, 03:24 AM
I love that it basks in its cheesiness. For a while, I wasn't sure if it was trying to be earnest or embracing its absurdity, but then...

Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin sang "I Can't Fight This Feeling" to each other...with an accompanying montage....

...and all was well.

Cruise continues to impress. I thought he was stellar in this. In all seriousness, ever since he went crazy on Oprah, he's transformed into a helluva character actor.

I enjoyed this (flaws - and there were many - and all) immensely.

Mal
06-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin sang "I Can't Fight This Feeling" to each other...with an accompanying montage....

...and all was well.

Cruise continues to impress. I thought he was stellar in this. In all seriousness, ever since he went crazy on Oprah, he's transformed into a helluva character actor.

That sequence and Cruise... only reasons for maybe renting this movie. Otherwise I could.not.stand. the Julianne+Diego songs. Both of these people are annoying- it's like they're not in on the joke.

MadMan
06-16-2012, 06:29 AM
Cruise honestly is the only thing selling me on this movie, although Baldwin is usually good. I'm pegging this as a rental.

EyesWideOpen
06-17-2012, 08:36 PM
This had the Glee problem of that when they're not singing the writers don't have an interesting storyline to keep the plot moving. But when they're singing it's great. Brand and Cruise were definitely the highlights for me.

amberlita
06-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Yeah, so I kind of loved this. Everything but poor Catherine Zeta-Jones trying to dance in church shoulder pads. That looked awkward. And Tom Cruise has a distractingly odd looking chest.

So much fun.

Did anybody else think that the guy playing Drew was Jay Mohr's son?

Fezzik
06-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Did anybody else think that the guy playing Drew was Jay Mohr's son?

Especially after the haircut, yes. There were moments where the resemblance was actually distracting, because I kept thinking of Jerry Maguire, which had both Mohr and Cruise.

Kiusagi
06-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Yup, I had a good time with this. Like EWO said, the parts between the singing kinda lost me, but the numbers were just too fun. People have criticized this for casting actors like Paul Giamatti and Alec Baldwin who can't sing, but I think in something like this that cranks up the cheese, that doesn't matter at all. In fact, it's part of the fun. As a huge rock fan, I'm probably biased (I loved Across the Universe for the same reason) and I don't know if anyone will remember this a year from now, but I'm glad I saw it.

Rowland
06-20-2012, 05:21 AM
I never want to see this.

EyesWideOpen
06-20-2012, 12:09 PM
I never want to see this.

But you did want to see Madagascar 3.

Rowland
06-20-2012, 03:57 PM
But you did want to see Madagascar 3.I wouldn't have gone out of my way to see it, but my girlfriend was interested, and the series is at least preferable to me over the likes of Shrek. This however looks intolerable, but I really just can't stand Glee-type stuff.

MadMan
06-21-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm not a big fan of musicals, but the cast involved makes me want to rent this in the future when it comes out on DVD/blu ray. I imagine its probably a guilty pleasure at best, but many musicals fall under that bill.

Spinal
02-07-2014, 05:06 PM
It's hard to hate any movie that sets key scenes inside a Tower Records. However, it's also hard to love any movie that uses "We Built This City" as a call to action for the cause of rock n roll.

number8
08-25-2014, 09:25 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that they made the movie so different from the stage version. And mostly for the worse?

Tom Cruise, though. Killed it. Which is why I can kinda understand rewriting the Stacee Jaxx character to be significantly less sleazy for him. Still... This is definitely the super sanitized version of this musical.