PDA

View Full Version : Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (Eric Darnell, Tom Mcgrath, Conrad Vernon)

Rowland
06-13-2012, 07:46 AM
imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1277953/)

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/drowland811/Madagascar-3-Poster-005.jpg

Rowland
06-13-2012, 07:50 AM
15% genuinely inspired and hilarious, 70% fair-to-middling, 15% borderline-intolerable. The stuff that does work is just good enough to offset the stuff that almost gave me a headache, so a minor yay. Also, Noah Baumbach has a co-writer credit, WTF?

Rowland
06-13-2012, 07:55 AM
I forgot the damn poll. Tired...

(EDIT: Turns out you can add a poll after the thread is already posted, neat)

[ETM]
06-13-2012, 08:10 AM
The 3D trailer gave me a headache. Worst use of 3D EVER, and it wasn't even a conversion. Ridiculous.

Watashi
06-13-2012, 04:04 PM
I saw this.

As a fan of the first two Madagascars, I found this mostly insufferable.

Rowland
06-13-2012, 04:48 PM
I saw this.

As a fan of the first two Madagascars, I found this mostly insufferable.Honestly, if it hadn't been for the spectacular Monte Carlo chase sequence and the Edith Piaf scene, I may have settled for a minor nay. All three Madagascars are on the fence for me, mixing a genuinely weird, almost surreal sense of humor, a snappy wit, and frequently terrific comedic timing with obnoxious capitulations to pop culture, lame narrative scripting, exhausting hyperactivity, and the overriding sensation that the voice actors are too often being encouraged to scream their dialogue. They are all about the same for me in these respects, so I'm a bit mystified by critics who insist this is significantly better or worse than the previous entries (Chaw giving the second ½*, this ***, wtf?).

Watashi
06-13-2012, 06:09 PM
They are all about the same for me in these respects, so I'm a bit mystified by critics who insist this is significantly better or worse than the previous entries (Chaw giving the second ½*, this ***, wtf?).

I think critics see Noah Baumbach as a co-writer and feel obliged to give this a more positive review. I honestly saw nothing in this script that separated it from the first two film. I liked the first two films because of their Chuck Jones/Tex Avery off-the-wall humor, but here, the pace was way too frantic and the supporting Circus cast barely registered any characterization. I read one critic say that Madagacars's circus surrealism rivals the "Pinks Elephants on Parade" trip in Dumbo. Uh, no. Dumbo was not scored to a Katy Perry pop song.