PDA

View Full Version : Beyond the Black Rainbow (Panos Cosmatos)

Rowland
05-22-2012, 08:04 PM
IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1534085/)

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/drowland811/MV5BMTc1MjQyODcxM15BMl5BanBnXk FtZTcwNDU1MjE0Nw_V1_SX640_SY94 8_.jpg

Rowland
05-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Reactions will be all over the map for this one.

The mood of the film is my memory of how the late '70s and early '80s felt to me. Both the reality and the fantasy world of the pop culture I would immerse myself in. I think in making it I was trying to grasp something intangible. It's a nostalgic movie, but it's poisoned nostalgia.

Skitch
05-22-2012, 08:18 PM
I want to see this so bad.

soitgoes...
05-22-2012, 09:19 PM
I'll watch this only to figure out what a black rainbow is.

NickGlass
06-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Pretty hokey stuff. Who let Dan Flavin make a film? It strives for Plato enlightenment and barely gets past elliptical fluorescent lights.

I'm not surprised that there are divisive reactions to this. Subjective reactions to this function as reaction to a mood film would, but this just did not work for me.

Henry Gale
06-24-2012, 11:46 PM
I kinda loved this. Even if the storytelling threads don't always seem to weave together in the most immediately satisfying ways, Cosmatos has such a strong and varied visual sense as there's barely a boring frame in the entire thing, and I was consistently, deeply immersed in the uniquely vibrant world of dread it created.

It's a kitschy (but oddly gorgeous) mood piece that tries to throw out some huge sci-fi morality questions throughout without really trying to definitely solve any of them by the end, but it just the sort of thing I wish more directors would attempt. It has a magical quality of being made in 2011 but so successfully feel like it was made and lost in the 1983 in which its set.

Hopefully this is the sort of debut that'll allow Cosmatos to make whatever he wants next, because if he can do this with just a million dollars and a handful of soundstages, I'm eager to see what he could do with even more at his disposal.

Bosco B Thug
10-29-2012, 10:21 PM
I did'na like it. [/disappointed Italian]

The "White Scene" was awesomely terrifying, but the rest I wasn't buying.

EyesWideOpen
12-07-2012, 03:26 AM
Loved the music, atmosphere, setting and characters. The story not so much. A mild yay.

Dukefrukem
12-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Loved the music, atmosphere, setting and characters. The story not so much. A mild yay.

THis.

Boner M
01-31-2013, 05:18 AM
Liked this a lot more than expected, and was almost certain it'd make my 2012 top 10 list up until the scene with the two metalheads around the campfire, followed by the weak climax (great final shot, tho). Until then it's so powerfully narcotising and hypnotic as pure cinema, with the vagueness of the plot mostly helping the mood. It reminded of the experimental films of Michael Robinson more than any attempt at neo-Grindhouse cinema; using the residual emotion of nostalgia-items as a jumping point rather than the items themselves, which is why it feels so fresh. A most promising debut feature.

Rowland
01-31-2013, 05:32 AM
Liked this a lot more than expected, and was almost certain it'd make my 2012 top 10 list up until the scene with the two metalheads around the campfire, followed by the weak climax (great final shot, tho).I had the same reaction after my first viewing, but I bumped the grade up when revisiting it caused me to have an unexpectedly emotional response, and the cognitive dissonance of the climactic scenes felt more deliberate. In any case, I still appreciate having another fan around here, it was getting lonely with just Henry and I, the reactions being about as disparate as I anticipated. Going by the grade in his signature, Derek in particular hated the shit out of this, so it's a good thing he hasn't (yet) added his rating to the thread. :lol:

Oh, and how's about that Michael Rogers? He's fucking amazing in this, one of my fave performances of the year.

Boner M
01-31-2013, 06:55 AM
Oh, and how's about that Michael Rogers? He's fucking amazing in this, one of my fave performances of the year.
Definitely, reminds me I need to edit my MC awards ballot.

Pop Trash
01-31-2013, 08:11 AM
I never finished this (had to return the DVD before a flight) but I liked what I saw. Similar to Boner, I felt like the movie was downright experimental in the sense it seemed to be literally about shapes and droney music rather than plot or character. The form is the function etc.