PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday (dir. Neil Marshall)

EvilShoe
01-15-2008, 09:36 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809834146/video/5955640/
I liked both Dog Soldiers and The Descent, but this looks like a fairly terrible mix between the Mad Max films & Escape from NY.
Hopefully it's just a bad trailer.

D_Davis
01-15-2008, 09:43 PM
This flick is going to rule.

But goddamn, I am so sick of Mr. Trailer Voice. They need to can that shit, like now. He makes everything sound like a joke. And who writes his crap? Lame, lame, lame.

megladon8
01-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Neil Marshall rocks, but I'm worried.

Seeing as how I've hated all the Mad Max movies, and this looks like it could be another installment of the series, I'm worried.

D_Davis
01-15-2008, 10:16 PM
I worry about anyone who hates the Mad Max movies.

Qrazy
01-15-2008, 10:21 PM
This is the end of the world!!!

No.

---

This. is. SPARTA!

Lasse
01-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah, that didn't look too good. If Marshall wasn't involved, I wouldn't bother.

megladon8
01-15-2008, 10:26 PM
I worry about anyone who hates the Mad Max movies.

Just never appealed.

I find The Road Warrior pretty painful.

On the whole I've just never been particularly interested in cars, car chases, car battles, or anything like that.

Wryan
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
It's got Bob fuckin Hoskins in it!

Btw, Rhona Mitra looks dreadful. All Lucy-Liu-in-EvS-oneliners and faux-tuff exterior. Blech.

At least it looks like it has some fun with the whole thing. Could be good.

bac0n
01-15-2008, 10:38 PM
The Trailer is nothing special, but anything with Neil Marshall involved means my ass will be in the seat.

Kurosawa Fan
01-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Even with Marshall's name attached, I'm not interested. I liked Dog Soldiers, but didn't much care for The Descent. If the trailer is anything to go by, he's getting worse as he goes along.

D_Davis
01-15-2008, 10:55 PM
I like The Descent more than Dog Soldiers, and this looks way awesome, so I think he's getting better as he goes along.

Ezee E
01-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Rhona Mitra looks like Kate Beckinsale from Underworld.

Strangely enough, Rhona Mitra is in Underworld 3. I'm not sure if she's taking Kate's character.

The trailer lowers my somewhat high expectations. I'll be seeing it though.

D_Davis
01-16-2008, 01:07 AM
When the premise first floated around, it was "Neil Marshall does Mad Max."

Yes and yes, thank you.

This is exactly what it looks like.

Thank you again!

Here is the first image I saw a long time ago:

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/doomsday1.jpg

transmogrifier
01-16-2008, 02:41 AM
Btw, Rhona Mitra looks dreadful. All Lucy-Liu-in-EvS-oneliners and faux-tuff exterior. Blech.

Nice butt though.

MadMan
01-16-2008, 05:06 AM
This film looks terrible, although granted all we have is just a trailer. It could be campy, action packed fun for all I know. Or not.

Justin
01-16-2008, 05:08 AM
I think it looks fairly entertaining, but I must say that I was expecting a lot more from Neil Marshall.

Wryan
01-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Anyone else love the car that explodes out of the bus with no dmg to its front?

Skitch
01-16-2008, 04:10 PM
My god is that woman beautiful.

Neil Marshall is two for two, so I'm all over this.

Skitch
01-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Neil Marshall rocks, but I'm worried.

Seeing as how I've hated all the Mad Max movies, and this looks like it could be another installment of the series, I'm worried.

How could anyone hate The Road Warrior? What the hell?

Morris Schæffer
01-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Prefer the first half of this trailer to the second, but overall, I'd like to check this out. And this doesn't look nowhere near as vicious and relentless as either Mad Max 1 or 2, but that's all right. Few things do.

Buffaluffasaurus
01-18-2008, 02:39 AM
This looks spectacularly retarded.

I'm so there.

Dead & Messed Up
01-19-2008, 03:26 AM
I still don't think Marshall's much of any good at directing action - he's best at establishing mood and creating characters efficiently. But it's Marshall, so obviously I'm in.

Dukefrukem
02-03-2008, 06:04 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/doomsday/

wtf?

Dukefrukem
02-03-2008, 06:04 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809834146/video/5955640/
I liked both Dog Soldiers and The Descent, but this looks like a fairly terrible mix between the Mad Max films & Escape from NY.
Hopefully it's just a bad trailer.

add in a little 28 Days Later and Land of the Dead and you got yourself a genuine crapfest.

Sycophant
02-03-2008, 06:16 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/doomsday/

wtf?With the exception of the BMW gag near the end, this trailer wasn't half bad. I'm sold. I should probably see Marshall's other films, though.

Sven
02-03-2008, 07:24 PM
This movie looks awesome!

lemon
02-03-2008, 09:19 PM
This is a really cool premise for a movie and I really liked the 1st half of the trailer. The second half of the trailer reminded me of Water World, bleh.

Dukefrukem
02-04-2008, 02:08 PM
This movie looks awesome!

you confuse me so much sometimes.

Sycophant
02-04-2008, 02:26 PM
you confuse me so much sometimes.But he's kind of right, though.

lovejuice
02-04-2008, 09:47 PM
yep. i kinda like it too. with its 80s sentiment. when making an action movie, never have been a bad period to refer to.

one thing though seems unclear is what the hell sort of epidermic they are talking about. one that change a lay person into a punk?

Wryan
02-04-2008, 10:24 PM
one thing though seems unclear is what the hell sort of epidermic they are talking about. one that change a lay person into a punk?

I think only street punks are hardcore enough to withstand the epidemic. Their hair is a lightning rod for disease.

Winston*
02-04-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm with iosos.

number8
02-05-2008, 07:58 AM
So am I.

Ezee E
03-15-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm not sure why this wasn't screened for critics, because I really liked this. This is a Kill Bill for big action movies as it doesn't only bring in The Road Warrior/Escape From New York, but Verhoeven, Aliens, and plenty of other 80's big action movies.

Hell, it even throws in some LOTR.

There are two great sequences in this movie. First is the concert scene in which one of the soldiers is fried. The other is the medieval deathmatch. Both have huge crowds watching them. I'm not sure why I think that means something. By the end, I'm waiting for a car chase scene, and, well, you get that too.

There is a problem with the movie, and Neil Marshall has had it in all three of his movies, and its that he doesn't know how to edit fights correctly. Sometimes you can't tell what's going on because it's overedited. He's still a poor man's Tarantino/Cameron/Verhoeven/whatever, but he's certainly a director that will be a must-see now. There are not many from this decade that are on that list.

Skitch
03-15-2008, 01:14 PM
I had a blast with Doomsday. Sure, the film is full of problems, inconsistancies, wtf's...but at the end of the day...it was still a lot of fun.

Some really rough gore. Ick. By ick, I mean, awesome. :)

Dead & Messed Up
03-16-2008, 02:10 AM
Boy.

I didn't like this movie at all. The battles were incomprehensible, the protagonists were boring and underdeveloped, and the finale was done better over twenty years ago in The Road Warrior.

Also, it has one of the most inexplicable extended sequences in recent viewing for me:

A prisoner at Sol's camp leads them to her father's castle, because presumably he has some key to a cure. But instead of giving them much in the way of information (beyond some vagaries about natural selection), he offers a repeat of a previous sequence in the movie, as the complete population assembles to cheer on as someone is executed. Then they leave.

No movement of story. No movement of plot. No development of character.

It exists purely so we can see Malcolm McDowell as a feudal lord. And that wasn't enough for me.

Sxottlan
03-16-2008, 08:59 AM
I enjoyed the film. Seemed like a lost installment of last year's Grindhouse.

Though full of some serious holes and laziness, I liked how the script set up a post-apocalyptic world without it really being a post-apocalyptic world. However, a whole sequence in which the film's villain is put into a position of power also feels awfully contrived with no real set-up. It just sort of happens.

The seemingly complete regression to very specific time periods for the different sects stood out as suspiciously convenient. What? They just had these medieval outfits laying around the museum? Not a single umbrella or soccer jersey?

Didn't I remember seeing the McDowell character in some high tech control room in the trailer for this?

Anyway, character-wise, Eden is a weakness. A bit too much of a sociopath from the get go for me to really care about.

So not perfect by any means, but still good fun. Loved the gore being applied to what was essentially a thriller.

D_Davis
03-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Wow.

That was terrible. An example of totally feckless filmmaking. A total disaster from start to finish, including some of the most horribly shot and edited action sequences I've ever seen.

What a pile.

Watashi
03-19-2008, 05:00 AM
Haha. Man, people weren't kidding when they say this just a mish-mash of better movies strung together. But hey, at least I can finally say I saw a film that homages both The Seventh Seal and the LOTR in the same minute.

Dukefrukem
08-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Wow.

That was terrible. An example of totally feckless filmmaking. A total disaster from start to finish, including some of the most horribly shot and edited action sequences I've ever seen.

What a pile.

watching it now and i couldn't agree more...

Scar
08-06-2008, 09:54 PM
I'll give this movie another try in a few months, but, boy, I did not like this movie.