PDA

View Full Version : Revolution (Abrams + Favreau + Kripke)

Morris Schæffer
05-13-2012, 09:04 PM
JwfCRAtkYEI

favreau helms pilot i think. Mind, it's a big trailer and so gets a little spoilery as per its season premiere. It stars Billy Burke (drive angry's baddie), Giancarlo Esposito (great as gus fring in breaking bad) and others.

Henry Gale
05-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Hmm, looks better than expected. I hope it's not a case where the production values end up being cut down drastically after the pilot, because there's some surprisingly rich looking stuff there.

Thirdmango
05-13-2012, 11:34 PM
I'll watch it for Esposito

Thirdmango
05-13-2012, 11:39 PM
After looking up Kripke I now realize he's the guy who created Supernatural.

Kurosawa Fan
05-14-2012, 04:03 AM
Nah. Looks far too corny.

EyesWideOpen
05-14-2012, 07:32 AM
That looks awesome.

number8
05-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Dude doesn't age in 15 years.

Mara
05-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Hmm. It's interesting, and I'm glad that they're starting the story 15 years in the future instead of endless scenes of learning to live without technology. Except that, given the heavy Lost vibe, we'll probably get that in flashbacks.

number8
05-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Hmm. It's interesting, and I'm glad that they're starting the story 15 years in the future instead of endless scenes of learning to live without technology. Except that, given the heavy Lost vibe, we'll probably get that in flashbacks.

My prediction is that the episode will actually start with them already in the wild, and that the blackout day stuff from the trailer actually are the flashbacks.

It's a device both Abrams and Kripke tend to use.

number8
05-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Also I'm pretty sure Kripke got the idea for the series from Supernatural season 5.

Morris Schæffer
05-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Wonder what it could be? The tesseract?

DavidSeven
05-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Nah. Looks far too corny.

Yeah, everything about that trailer, besides Esposito, screamed bad B-movie.

[ETM]
05-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Wonder what it could be? The tesseract?

The McGuffin.

Henry Gale
09-18-2012, 03:21 AM
Not bad, but definitely not great either.

Like most network serials like this, I'll give it four or five episodes to really impress me, but I likely won't stay with it or get back into it unless it seems like it's gotten interesting enough. Its world-building seems like it'll be its best asset, and after the first episode that's still all broad enough that it still has the potential to be something cooler. But the characters just aren't there, at least yet, and the main actress, as incredibly gorgeous as she may be, doesn't seem to have the acting ability to really command the sort of strong female lead role that's helped the core of a lot of past Abrams shows.

This is all assuming (and hoping) that it goes on long enough for it to dish out some of its more exciting storytelling ideas, instead of holding back on too many of them before an abrupt cancellation makes the whole thing pointless. (RIP Alcatraz.)

number8
09-19-2012, 03:41 AM
Well that was silly and uneventful.

But it's Kripke, so maybe I'll check back later. It should be fantastic in the 3rd season!

Sxottlan
10-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Yeah not sold on this. Pretty silly. This world, as presented so far through the three episodes I've watched, doesn't feel very thought out. I suppose it may eventually be explained through the flashbacks, but the Napoleonic military camps and the muskets seem excessively anachronistic. I mean, governments used to run okay before there was electricity you know. But it seems that instantly everyone just runs for the hills. And while the reliance on swords makes sense, it seems you could still physically produce bullets.

The main character is obnoxious. That's never a good sign. Again, we haven't seen how the girl was raised yet, but I don't get why she has to generally be so angelic and preachy about how the world now works. I'd think someone raised in this world would generally accept it as kill or be killed. Her do-gooder streak feels like an obvious way for the audience to try and find someone to sympathize with. But instead, she's generally annoying and has even admitted she's so driven out of guilt more than anything else.

I guess I'll stick with it for now, but it's definitely not the best of the new shows and I don't expect it to stick around for long.

Thirdmango
10-20-2012, 03:15 PM
I was trying to express my thoughts on this show last night. It's sorta weird because a show like Last Resort has basically bottled themselves up and won't let themselves deviate from their confined space. But Revolution has the entire world to work with but yet they only stick to 4-5 main characters. I really wish they would allow themselves to branch out, probably not something as big as Heroes did but show some other factions in the surrounding states or more random people that could get a hold of the audience.

Sxottlan
10-22-2012, 02:39 AM
After episode five, I'm not sure I can even get through the whole season. They're on a high ground with crossbows and bows and they're running from a couple rabid dogs? And the plot turns on the train to keep the little brother in Neville's custody were just stupid. Hit Neville in the head with a glass and two seconds later he's up as though nothing happened. Dumb.

We still haven't learned why there's no attempt to reform the government or at least why the attempt is considered illegal. Gotta love the sniper atop the Applebee's who should have targeted the republic's commander first, but just shoots someone else instead. Not a very bright group of rebels.

The only thing to be an interesting surprise was the death of the step-mother, but again, it came about because of lame plot turns and poor direction and staging.

Revolution has the entire world to work with but yet they only stick to 4-5 main characters. I really wish they would allow themselves to branch out...

Agreed. I think what's really bothering me is how every flashback from immediately after the blackout show absolutely no one trying to help each other. No showing of at least an attempt for organizations to adapt quickly to the situation. The show appears to like using some old practices like firing lines, but not things that would make sense like a pony express or an increase in sailing ship production or rudimentary mechanical engine use, such as in glider or light fixed wing aircraft.

Instead it becomes dog eat dog pretty quick. I don't know. Maybe it would. I heard a saying once that we're only two missed meals away from anarchy. However, while the story should be engrossing, its execution makes me detached enough to ponder such things while the show is on.

number8
10-22-2012, 01:34 PM
This is hilarious. Cracked made a Top 10 list of the dumbest things on television this season, and 9 of them are from Revolution.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-10-dumbest-things-tv-so-far-this-season_p2/