PDA

View Full Version : The Pirates! Band of Misfits (Peter Lord & Jeff Newitt)

EyesWideOpen
05-12-2012, 12:59 AM
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Directors: Peter Lord & Jeff Newitt

imdb link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1430626/)

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc261/gothamcentral79/The_Pirates_Band_of_Misfits_Aa rdman.jpg

EyesWideOpen
05-12-2012, 01:02 AM
I figured since I know we have some Aardman fans here that someone would have seen this already.

I thought it was decent. Nowhere near as good as Chicken Run or the Wallace & Gromit stuff. The voice cast is astounding though (Hugh Grant, Martin Freeman, David Tennant, Imelda Staunton, Salma Hayek, Brendan Gleeson) even though the plot is ho-hum and most of the attempts at humor fall flat.

Stay Puft
05-12-2012, 01:47 AM
I've been meaning to see this but things keep coming up. Going to try again next week depending on my work schedule.

Spinal
05-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Trailer didn't really inspire me to prioritize it, but I'll see it eventually.

EyesWideOpen
05-12-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm terrible at recognizing voices in animated movies. Martin Freeman is one of my favorite actors and it didn't even register that he was one of the main characters. The only two people whose voices I recognized were Brenden Gleeson and Salma Hayek.

eternity
05-15-2012, 04:39 AM
This was hysterical.

Bosco B Thug
05-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Probably more of a 3 1/2 star flick, but it rounds up. Fun, beautifully crafted, and smart to the extent you expect from Aardman, but doesn't reach the whimsical heights of their other stuff. Story's nothing to get too worked up about, there's a flat joke/dramatic dynamic every quarter hour, and the final act should've amounted to more. Other than that, I laughed a bunch.

Spinal
07-05-2012, 02:31 AM
Doesn't ever reach the full-on belly laughs of the Wallace and Gromit movies, but it's agreeable enough to amuse. The funniest stuff happens on the periphery with various witty jokes on background signs and with background characters. For a pirate movie, it spends an awful lot of time on land, which is probably the biggest disappointment.

Dillard
07-06-2012, 12:25 PM
For every joke that falls flat there is at least one that works. My favorite bits are probably the silliest. Yes a pig is really a fruit. I also enjoyed the Aardman attention to detail. Every scene is brimming with visual information - too much to take in with one viewing - and as spinal mentioned, there is much to enjoy on the periphery of the action in any given scene. Hugh Grant is wonderful (did I just say that?) as the Pirate Captain bringing a nice range of affectation to the role. I actually enjoyed the middle section on land: it was a surprise to me in a pirate movie but I thought they cleverly tied in Darwin and the dodo to make this plot work in a unique way. The final scenes were undercooked but an overall enjoyable ride and head and shoulders above the other summer kiddie fare (Madagascar 7). I'll be seeing it again for all that I missed the first time through. A wealth of riches in this one.

ledfloyd
02-24-2013, 05:49 PM
The visual information, puns, sight gags, beautifully-crafted animation, and rube goldberg-like action scenes make this rather splendid despite having a terrible narrative structure and a deflating third act.

Peng
09-06-2020, 02:01 PM
The only Aardman Animation feature I had left to see, and it's slightly below the middle of the studio's rank. Being Aardman, this still translates to a film still packing with delightful visual gags and abundant absurd goofiness. That their animated films are always light on their foot means its weak story throughline just prevents the film from register as strongly as the best they have to offer, but overall it's still a cheery good time. 7/10