PDA

View Full Version : Lockout (Mather, St. Leger)

TGM
04-13-2012, 08:18 PM
LOCKOUT

Directors: James Mather, Stephen St. Leger

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1592525/)

http://www.thenerdpocalypse.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/03/Lockout-updated-poster-slice.jpg

TGM
04-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Don't got much to say about this one, just that I thought it was pretty fun. And Guy Pearce was a trip.

Fezzik
04-14-2012, 01:35 AM
I really didn't like this at all. It started well, but Guy Pearce's schtick wore thin for me after about 20 minutes (though he did have some really great lines sprinkled here and there).

The visual effects were just bad and every twist and plot point seemed ripped from another, better movie.

Not even the action did much for me.

It's a good example of a great concept executed poorly.

eternity
05-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Absolute garbage.

Rowland
07-01-2012, 07:45 PM
I suppose I didn't mind this, and indeed it is mildly amusing as pulpy, unabashedly derivative B-movie fodder, but virtually every facet of the production, from the direction and editing to the scripting and special effects, proves more distractingly hacky than inspired. The combined acting talents of Guy Pearce and Lennie James provide strong mileage, as does some comparatively clever-ish writing during the Earth-set prologue/epilogues, but as a whole this left me fairly indifferent.

Sxottlan
07-02-2012, 07:10 AM
This was pretty awful. Love how the prison suddenly seems totally empty when the one guy broke free. That vehicle chase in the beginning of the film had some of the worst visual effects I've seen in a long time. They seemed Torque-esque, based on what I remember of those scenes.

Rowland
07-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Mike D'Angelo ably expresses what appeal this film does have here (http://www.panix.com/~dangelo/May12.html), only I wasn't quite as taken with it as he was, perhaps in part because I watch more of this kind of stuff than he does. The first ten minutes are the highlight, daft motorcycle chase included.

EvilShoe
07-06-2012, 10:22 PM
This one sucks. Unconvincing actors walking around in indistinguishable sets, surrounded by bad FX.

Between this and his role in Prometheus, I think Guy Pearce should start looking for a new agent. (Although he might have better luck with Lawless and Iron Man 3.)

Irish
07-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Excreable. Mishmash of Escape from New York and Under Siege but with all the entertaining parts removed.

While I've seen better green screen in Playstation games, this is a good example of a well formed sci fi world on a tiny budget. Too bad that world is so shallow and dull.

Dukefrukem
07-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Escape from New York was the first thing I thought of. This was totally disappointing. The editing is some of the worst I've seen in an action film. I can't tell if it was intentional, or to get the run time under 90 minutes or because it's sci-fi action film, they wanted to cut down on the cost entirely. There MUST be another cut somewhere. I think in the original thread there was talk about an R rated version? I need to see it. But entire scenes were completely left out. They didn't even show a shot of the space ship taking off from Earth. And WTF was the deal with that motorcycle ride?

Stay Puft
01-08-2013, 09:02 PM
The motorcycle bit at the beginning is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. What the fuck were they thinking? My friend and I were howling with laughter. The rest of the movie unfortunately was not nearly as fun(ny) and just kind of dull and zzzzzz. Too bad, Guy Pearce deserves better. He does an admirable job here but the character as written is too forced and uninspired.

And I watched the unrated cut and no, Duke, it still feels exactly like you describe. There's an awful sense of continuity in the film. Like whole shots have gone missing. The whole thing feels sporadic and incompetent.

max314
07-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Fast, funny and nice to look at in that Michael Bay music video kinda way – except that motorcycle chase at the beginning, which is the only VFX sequence that shows up the film's relatively modest $20 million budget.

★★★★★

Dukefrukem
07-31-2016, 02:11 PM
Excreable. Mishmash of Escape from New York and Under Siege but with all the entertaining parts removed.

While I've seen better green screen in Playstation games, this is a good example of a well formed sci fi world on a tiny budget. Too bad that world is so shallow and dull.

Escape from New York was the first thing I thought of. This was totally disappointing. The editing is some of the worst I've seen in an action film. I can't tell if it was intentional, or to get the run time under 90 minutes or because it's sci-fi action film, they wanted to cut down on the cost entirely. There MUST be another cut somewhere. I think in the original thread there was talk about an R rated version? I need to see it. But entire scenes were completely left out. They didn't even show a shot of the space ship taking off from Earth. And WTF was the deal with that motorcycle ride?

Wow really?

http://collider.com/luc-besson-plagarism-lockout-escape-from-new-york-guilty/