PDA

View Full Version : Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope (Morgan Spurlock)

EyesWideOpen
04-07-2012, 11:22 PM
imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1605782/)

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc261/gothamcentral79/comiccon_episode_four_a_fans_h ope.jpg

EyesWideOpen
04-07-2012, 11:24 PM
This is in limited release and available on VOD. I'll be watching tonight.

EyesWideOpen
04-08-2012, 01:48 AM
This definitely didn't feel like a Spurlock documentary. He's not on camera ever and provides no narration which is something usually common to his work. As someone who has been to Comic-Con it captures the feel of it and the people who the doc follows are all mildly interesting (the Mile High Comics owner being my favorite section) but it doesn't have anything that makes it feel any different then your typical fan documentary. Even the celebrity interviews are just them talking about comic-con (or being a geek) in front of a white screen and I can't recall a single thing that any of them said that was of note. So while it was cool as a remembrance of a place I haven't been to in a few years I don't see this film doing much for anyone who doesn't have an interest in the place.

Boner M
04-08-2012, 02:24 AM
This definitely didn't feel like a Spurlock documentary.
Sold!

eternity
04-08-2012, 06:35 AM
I fucking hate the title. I will still watch it 100 times as "research" for the script I'm attempting.

number8
04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Just saw it. It really feels more like a high school reunion video than a documentary. Just a bunch of smiling people talking about a specific place they have fond memories of, with not a negative word about it. I liked it, obviously, because I'm one of those people, but I'm not sure what people who've never been are supposed to take from it. The only value I can see is to show this to people who are planning to go to Con for the first time, to get them excited about their upcoming trip. Which I'm planning on doing.

Anyway, I remember bumping into that Skip guy that year. Had no idea Spurlock was filming him. I tried playing "Where's number8" in the crowd shots. No go. But I saw pedobear during the sappy closing monologue and laughed really hard, ruining the moment.

eternity
12-21-2012, 06:40 PM
The movie relies entirely on how inherently interesting the Con is without making much of an effort to dive deeper than the surface. I was reasonably invested in all of the stories and my biases made me on the verge of tears almost the entire time, but I can't help but feel this was phoned in a little bit. I suppose it's really good, but it's still the kind of documentary that would be called Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope.

Still much better than Mansome, so there's that.