PDA

View Full Version : Wrath of the Titans (Jonathan Liebesman)

Sxottlan
03-31-2012, 03:43 AM
IMDB page (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1646987/).

http://static.moviefanatic.com/images/gallery/wrath-of-the-titans-poster-2.jpg

Skitch
03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
I feel we really need a third option of 'harmless' or 'meh' or 'thumbs sideways'.

Irish
03-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Every time you've enjoyed a Pirates of the Carribean movie, God makes a movie like this one.

TGM
03-31-2012, 05:06 PM
I feel we really need a third option of 'harmless' or 'meh' or 'thumbs sideways'.

But isn't that what the star rating is for?

D_Davis
03-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Every time you've enjoyed a Pirates of the Carribean movie, God makes a movie like this one.

I think I'll watch At World's End today - love that movie.

Skitch
03-31-2012, 10:19 PM
But isn't that what the star rating is for?

True. I could justify enjoying it but still recognize it is a bad movie.

Dukefrukem
04-01-2012, 06:27 PM
I had this big long explanation of the movie but then my PC restarted and I lost it all. I'll write it again later.

Dukefrukem
04-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Ok rewrote what i said earlier:

This was much better than the first movie. It actually has a coherent story, likable characters, a clear conflict and climax... four things the first movie completely lacked. The action was smart, not drowned out by CGI and it was overall a fun movie to watch.

The biggest change I enjoyed was this movie is more of a journey with the Greek mythology woven into it. Go to A to get B and bring to C. It felt like it borrowed a lot from God of War (which is fine with me) in terms of setting and set piece specifically the Labyrinth, Mt Tartarus and Kronos. Kronos especially looks very God of Warish with the addition of magma spewing from him.

But i really enjoyed how they didn't define every little piece of Greek mythology to the audience. Hephaestus is there and the audience can figure out what he did without a voice over.

Then of course there's the Neeson-Effect, where he automatically makes every movie he's in appear to be better than it actually is. The biggest problem I have with this is the Deus Ex Machina ending;

So Ares and Hades betray Zeus to steal his power and give it to Kronos. Why? because people aren't praying to the Gods enough, they're all losing their power and by releasing Kronos the Gods that ally with him will gain eternal life again. The biggest annoyance about this is 89 minutes into the movie, Zeus apologizes to Hades and asks for forgiveness that he banished him... to which Hades has a sudden change of heart and helps Zeus escape... why didn't Zeus apologize 81 minutes ago? or why is Hades suddenly a sucker for brotherhood?

Because of the problem above, It felt like Perseus's role was moot throughout the whole movie. The whole reason why Perseus got involved to begin with is he thought Zeus needed his help. He didn't know anything about the tri-weapon thing that can kill Kronos until he got to Agenor... So if Zeus just got over his ego at the beginning of the movie, him and Hades would have teamed up against Ares....

Anyway, it's worth a viewing, but I have a hard time believing I'd watching it on HBO again.

Henry Gale
04-01-2012, 11:23 PM
I didn't read the spoilered bit, but the rest of it doesn't exactly sound like it lines up with the nay vote you gave it. If you went to see it (with adjusted expectations after the first movie) and you were satisfied with major aspects of it, I guess don't see where it could have failed so significantly elsewhere, especially being the sort of big, loud, popcorn movie it is.

But I guess I'm just slightly hopeful for when I eventually watch it at home several months from now, especially since I didn't hate Clash under similar cirumstances.

TGM
04-02-2012, 04:45 AM
Yeah, gotta agree with Henry. Your text doesn't translate into the nay you gave it. In fact, it sounds like you enjoyed yourself with this movie. :/

Dukefrukem
04-02-2012, 11:12 AM
With my NAY/YAY votes, my ultimate factor is whether or not I'd want to watch it again. And I'm struggling to find myself interested in doing so. The quality of the movie is represented in the star "grade". So there's MIXED feelings about it. I just feel it fell a little bit short of earning a YAY.

It's how I feel about the War of the Worlds remake. Some wonderful things happen during the journey, but the ending determines whether I am rewarded with satisfaction or not.

I think my spoiler wraps up my NAY vote nicely. Waiting for someone to agree/disagree here.

Saya
04-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Didn't like this at all. I also watched it in 3D and after a while felt physically sick. I had to take of my glasses for a while. I find it hard coming up with things I liked about the movie. I guess the CGI was ok...

Rowland
08-27-2012, 08:24 AM
The technical work on display here is pretty spectacular, providing enough in the way of sheer spectacle to render this vaguely watchable, in spite of some really dreadful writing, direction, editing, and an overriding lack of spirit, pathos, or any particularly convincing emotional or thematic core. So yeah, this is pretty bad, but the monsters and shit are kinda kewl. Also noteworthy is how director Liebesman ends this on a very similar note to his previous film, Battle Los Angeles. Does the dude have a predilection for gung ho militarism?

EvilShoe
11-17-2012, 09:59 AM
It's embarrassingly inept. How hard is it to make a fun adventure movie based on Greek mythology?

I was mostly wondering about Worthington's accent. Did the makers just decide to let him use his Australian one, or is he that bad at accents?