PDA

View Full Version : Game Change (Jay Roach)

eternity
03-11-2012, 04:33 AM
GAME CHANGE

Director: Jay Roach

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1848902/)

http://www.hollywoodoutbreak.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/game-change-hbo-tv-movie-350x514.jpg

eternity
03-11-2012, 04:37 AM
What a wasted opportunity. The story within this film is so obviously meant for a much better, more capable writer and director. Despite Julianne Moore's complete transformation and some inspired efforts from the rest of the cast, the movie simply doesn't work. All the dramatic possibility is squandered for the most ironic of reasons; a tale of incompetence run amok is crushed under the weight of incompetence. It's as if The Social Network was directed by the guy who brought us Dinner for Schmucks...oh wait.

Dukefrukem
03-12-2012, 02:30 AM
I thought this was entertaining as hell. But I might be biased because I dislike Palin so much.

eternity
03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
The one thing that really bugs me a day after watching this is how rushed the end is. The movie is about how Sarah Palin was pushed into the national spotlight and was unprepared and unable to handle it all, but it only skims over what this causes: the "going rogue", the complete reversal in her personality that happens literally overnight. The woman who cared so much about her home state immediately resented it; the vain but otherwise well-intentioned governor becomes a radical preacher of hate and resentment, and has ran with it in the years since. It's touched on just enough to make it clear that this is part of the story, but it leaves me longing for a suitable conclusion to what this effectively is: a monster's origin story.

B-side
03-12-2012, 08:10 AM
ITT: eternity watches the films nobody gives a shit about and bitches about them.

eternity
03-12-2012, 07:59 PM
ITT: eternity watches the films nobody gives a shit about and bitches about them.
This was a relatively hyped movie that continues to get a lot of media coverage and is considered to be controversial. Plus, Julianne Moore gives one of her best performances yet in it and is practically a lock for an Emmy and a Golden Globe. So, yeah, sure.

number8
03-12-2012, 08:02 PM
"Nobody gives a shit about" is a blatantly inaccurate statement.

Lucky
03-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Think you're being too harsh, eternity. Really dig your line about comparing this to a monster origin in a political backdrop, as that's the successful element at play here. Julianne Moore is the reason to watch this and her character's portrait is where the true drama lies. The rest doesn't fail, persay, but there isn't substantial dramatic weight since we already know the story. It's a common pitfall from which these historical films often suffer. I mean, this "story" in particular was so popularized that we already knew some of the lines. Speaking of which, this lead to one of the more interesting angles about how this election was the first to do battle with modern media. Even Palin was slightly obsessed with the concept as she dove deeper into her transformation.

Anyway, bottom line - quality character study. Dramatic elements in the background may seem muted and ineffective, but Moore gives plenty reason to enjoy this for what it is. It's not meant to be a history lesson. I'd say Mildred Pierce still holds the crown for quality achievment in recent HBO miniseries, but this one is a step forward from the other recent output (Cinema Verite and the Wall Street one).

yay/pro

eternity
03-13-2012, 12:15 AM
I just think that it's a really mediocre production of an excellent story. Doesn't do it justice at all. It isn't an outright failure because the story in its own right is interesting, but it does next to nothing to fulfill its own potential. Outside of the timeline that history dictated, the script is lazy, and it could have been directed by anyone. There isn't an ounce of creativity or inspiration in this thing; it coasts entirely on the source material.

Lucky
03-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Outside of the timeline that history dictated, the script is lazy, and it could have been directed by anyone.

I can't necessarily disagree with this. I thought there was some fine editing on display, but you're correct in that the direction and screenplay were average. I guess that's why this was made for HBO and not a studio. At least the actors were top notch in quality and helped elevate the project. Again, I know I'm being repetitive, but Julianne Moore sold this for me.

MadMan
03-14-2012, 06:17 AM
I found this film to be pretty damn good, actually. The main performances were all top notch, and besides this was what, an HBO TV movie? With that in mind, I think that Roach did a solid enough job and I really don't have any problem with the ending.

Oh and in watching this movie I finally saw a 2012 film in March, thus fulfilling my "Start viewing movies from the current year three months in" trend that happens every year.

number8
03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
As enjoyable as this was, you can't deny that there has to be a better movie hiding underneath. This just seems really superficial. It's also repetitive. Every 10 minutes looks the same: first a scene of Palin's aids prepping her something basic, then she demonstrates that she doesn't have even a high schooler's education, cue aids looking embarrassed, excusing themselves and panicking, then Julianne Moore chews scenery by having Palin freak out like a crazy person, followed by Ed Harris and Woody Harrelson face palming. Repeat eight more times. Movie.

Sven
03-27-2012, 06:30 PM
As enjoyable as this was, you can't deny that there has to be a better movie hiding underneath. This just seems really superficial. It's also repetitive. Every 10 minutes looks the same: first a scene of Palin's aids prepping her something basic, then she demonstrates that she doesn't have even a high schooler's education, cue aids looking embarrassed, excusing themselves and panicking, then Julianne Moore chews scenery by having Palin freak out like a crazy person, followed by Ed Harris and Woody Harrelson face palming. Repeat eight more times. Movie.

Haha. I could watch that.

Dukefrukem
03-28-2012, 01:18 PM
8 how come you never yay or nay stuff?

NickGlass
03-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Haha. I could watch that.

So could I--and I did. And it's amusing, and--as number8 points out--shallow and repetitive.

Mal
04-02-2012, 03:44 AM
This was a relatively hyped movie that continues to get a lot of media coverage and is considered to be controversial. Plus, Julianne Moore gives one of her best performances yet in it and is practically a lock for an Emmy and a Golden Globe. So, yeah, sure.

She's the only reason to watch it.