PDA

View Full Version : REVENGE!!!!

Kurosawa Fan
03-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Time for another show to have it's own thread. This show is just GLEEFULLY trashy. Seriously, this is no guilty pleasure. It's a RIOT. I'm recommending this to everyone.

Although, I must say, I just finished episode 12, "Infamy," and I'm sooooo disappointed, though it's my own fault.

I was bringing my wife a cup of tea as the episode was coming to a close, and while I was carrying it I heard Amanda's (Emily's) father reveal on the tapes recorded by that author that one of Victoria's children was his, and I was SO EXCITED when I thought he said it was Daniel, because how freakin creepy would it be to have Emily marry her OWN FREAKIN HALF BROTHER. But then it ended up being Charlotte. Which is significantly less impactful.

Still, this show is awesome. I love that it just fully embraces exactly what it wants to be rather than pushing for anything more. It's a primetime soap through and through, but by accepting that identity and having fun with it (and through the merits of the performances and writing), the show eclipses the quality of any daytime soap.

number8
03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
I had a heated discussion on whether or not it's still incest-by-proxy.

Kurosawa Fan
03-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Might want to spoiler that.

It did feel like they pulled a punch slightly. It's like they wanted to go for it, but perhaps the network, or their own consciences, wouldn't let it happen.

Mara
03-05-2012, 03:45 PM
This show is a blast. I'm really glad I added it to the roster.

Kurosawa Fan
03-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Another thing this show has going for it is impeccable timing. I was just thinking that

they were stringing the Tyler subplot along for too long when the got rid of him.

It's not the first case of them hitting the perfect note with me. Seriously, this show is so much fun. Thanks to both of you, Mara and number8, for championing this. I NEVER would have given it the time of day had it not been for your influence.

Mara
03-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks to both of you, Mara and number8, for championing this. I NEVER would have given it the time of day had it not been for your influence.

I wouldn't have ever checked it out except it was being championed by The AV Club and this (http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/) website, which I enjoy. The latter calls Emily/Amanda "The Hamptons Batman," which I have co-opted use of. Because it is apt.

Mara
03-05-2012, 04:05 PM
I found the AV Club page which first intrigued me:

We didn't expect to love Revenge this much either, but here we are. (http://www.avclub.com/articles/we-didnt-expect-to-love-revenge-this-much-either-b,66153/)

When the fall season started, we certainly didn’t expect ABC’s goofy soap Revenge to become one of our new favorites, but it’s swiftly risen in our estimation, thanks to its plot twists, fun characters, and surprising moral complexity. Plus, if you’ve never watched an episode, it’s pretty easy to dive right in with tonight's midseason finale because everybody talks about what they’re going to do and why most of the time, so you can get caught right up. Carrie Raisler would also like to remind you the right way to say the show’s title is to tilt your head skyward and yell, “REVEEEEEEENGE!”

...and I was like, I must know what is going on here.

number8
03-05-2012, 04:06 PM
I was hesitant about using that moniker until Hiroyuki Sanada showed up as her sensei. And then it's apt.

Mara
03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Also of note: Nolan is secretly hot. They hide it under bad hair and very unfortunate clothing choices (including all these multiple collars that I just don't get.) He has an unusual (but not unhandsome) face, and he's tall with a great body.

He's also the most intriguing male character, so I'm a big Nolan fan.

Irish
03-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Everytime I see this thread title, I imagine Mara's old avatar yelling at the screen while shaking a fist: Revenge!!!!

:D Good times.

Thirdmango
03-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Also of note: Nolan is secretly hot. They hide it under bad hair and very unfortunate clothing choices (including all these multiple collars that I just don't get.) He has an unusual (but not unhandsome) face, and he's tall with a great body.

He's also the most intriguing male character, so I'm a big Nolan fan.

It's funny cause if you look the dude up he's a model first and an actor second. So even though in the show he always has evilface he's still a perfectly handsome dude.

EyesWideOpen
03-09-2012, 01:39 AM
I just finished episode 14 and the thing that I was waiting for to happen the whole time happened. From the beginning this is why I didn't like the Batman comparisons. She makes some really dumb decisions. Having everything she has on her father right next door to the people she is getting revenge on. She has no security in her house. Did she really not think anyone would search her house?

Irish
03-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Btw, the entire series up to date is available on Hulu Plus.

Thirdmango
03-12-2012, 11:04 AM
The whole series is also on regular hulu for those of us who don't have plus. The whole series is also on the abc website.

Mara
04-20-2012, 08:17 PM
AW MAN somehow this show came back without me noticing and I can't get it to stream properly on the website. I'm disappointed.

Dead & Messed Up
04-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Two girls at the pub told me that this was appointment television. Apparently the woman wants revenge on everybody. Everybody.

Mara
04-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Two girls at the pub told me that this was appointment television. Apparently the woman wants revenge on everybody. Everybody.

You gotta watch it. It's soapy, circular, kind of ridiculous, and as fun as anything on television right now.

REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kurosawa Fan
04-21-2012, 03:14 AM
Isn't it working on Hulu? It better be working. I need my fix!!

Mara
05-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Okay, this FUN FUN FUN so I forgive its soapy, twisty conventions, but people sure do spend a lot of time sitting around explaining their actions and feelings out loud. It's like the anti-Mad Men.

That said, I think Emily has pretty much got her mojo and focus back, and I'm glad. She has feelings, which is fine, but she's not letting them get in her way. From a viewer's perspective, I don't require her to be heartless, but I enjoy her more the more heartless she acts.

Kurosawa Fan
05-02-2012, 12:27 AM
LOVED the last episode, and the twist at the end. I gotta say though, at some point wouldn't Nolan come through the door and say, "Seriously, Em, this is getting ridiculous. Please stop watching video of your dad's trial. It's beyond disturbing."

Mara
05-03-2012, 05:53 PM
This episode was gooooood. We're getting into some really fine chess-moves plotting.

Mara
05-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm reading a couple reviews that weren't thrilled with the last episode, saying that we don't learn anything and it doesn't advance the plot.

Well, maybe, but with plots this convoluted, it's not a bad idea to have an episode that connects a bunch of the dots and remind us of where all the players stand. Lost deployed these kinds of episodes to good effect. I really enjoyed how many past people they brought together, too.

Mara
05-17-2012, 06:44 PM
WHEE!

It's hard to discuss this show when WHEE! is often my main reaction. Further thoughts:

I continue to love Nolan, and I especially like how he's taken steps to not be Emily's doormat anymore. He's terrible at undercover work, obviously. And I really, really hope they don't kill off his character.

The Graysons sabotaging each other and self-imploding will never not be entertaining.

It turns out I really hate Declan as a character. It's been creeping up on me. He's dumb.

I want to like Charlotte, because I think she's a pretty talented actress, but they keep giving her dumb, circular plotlines.

Mara
05-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Aw crap, that finale was awesome.

I give this show one more year before it collapses under its own weight, but in the meantime, it is FUN.

Anyone believe for a hot second that they're killing off Madeleine Stowe? She got back off the plane. Believe. Also, this might be a minor thing to note, but Charlotte's phone impression of her mother was spot-on. And I'm glad Amanda's back and that there's a wrench in the Emily/Jack romance, because I find him boring. Emily/Nolan I would go for. Nolan, by the way? Awesome. My favorite character on the show. I love him. His red pants were an important moment for me.

And the best line of ANY SHOW THIS YEAR might be:

"Just stay right where you are, and don't do anything revengey until I get there."

Kurosawa Fan
05-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Gah! I need to spend the weekend catching up with this. I think I'm three or four behind. That's totally unacceptable.

EyesWideOpen
05-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Aw crap, that finale was awesome.

I give this show one more year before it collapses under its own weight, but in the meantime, it is FUN.

Anyone believe for a hot second that they're killing off Madeleine Stowe? She got back off the plane. Believe. Also, this might be a minor thing to note, but Charlotte's phone impression of her mother was spot-on. And I'm glad Amanda's back and that there's a wrench in the Emily/Jack romance, because I find him boring. Emily/Nolan I would go for. Nolan, by the way? Awesome. My favorite character on the show. I love him. His red pants were an important moment for me.

And the best line of ANY SHOW THIS YEAR might be:

"Just stay right where you are, and don't do anything revengey until I get there."

Yeah I loved every minute of the finale. I don't really see them killing off Stowe but I can see her having in her contract that it was only going to be a one year thing or something like that since she's mainly a film actress.

number8
05-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Fuuuuuck I can't wait for season 2. This shit is starting to out-24 24.

Pop Trash
05-29-2012, 09:27 PM
So this is good huh? I went to high school with Nick Wechsler and was in a few acting classes with him. He was also on "Roswell" back in the day.

Mara
05-29-2012, 09:36 PM
So this is good huh? I went to high school with Nick Wechsler and was in a few acting classes with him. He was also on "Roswell" back in the day.

He unfortunately doesn't have the most well-developed character, but he tries. I actually recognized him from the few episodes I've seen of Roswell.

This show is good in a I-can't-believe-this-show-is-so-good kind of way. By all rights, it should be awful. It's unabashedly a nighttime soap opera about rich pretty people pulling elaborate revenge gambits with each other, but somehow manages to be intriguing and fun fun fun.

EyesWideOpen
10-02-2012, 03:08 AM
Really good first episode. Nolan boxing was a highlight.

number8
10-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Uhhh, Hiroyuki Sanada being replaced by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa threw me off for a bit. That's a real shame that Sanada couldn't do the second season.

D_Davis
10-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Does this get a ton better after the first episode? Just couldn't get into the writing and acting at all.

Edit - after reading a bit about it, sounds like I'm just not into the style of the show.

Mara
10-02-2012, 06:58 PM
If there was a spin-off of called Nolan Cracking Wise, Sometimes Without a Shirt I would watch it three times a week.

Mara
10-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Caught up. I could not be more in favor of Emily and Nolan having wacky roommate shenanigans. They could squabble over taking out the trash and gossip over omelets.

Also, Ashley is totally with Conrad, right? I thought they were all in each other's business since last season. I'd love if Conrad is using her to spy on his son.

Mara
10-08-2012, 07:24 PM
There's a recent trend of men I love on television wandering around without pants on. I'm pro-pantslessness. I'm shallow that way.

Pretty Padma is pretty. Kind of hope she's evil.

Mara
10-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Knocking a man out, and then putting his body in a dumpster with a plane ticket stapled to it is pretty badass.

So, so sad that Nolan is moving out. It never even got remotely wacky.

Want Declan to get written off the show. So much.

Mara
10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Anyone else still watching? The clunky expository dialogue is still an issue, but overall it continues to be quite fun. Except Declan. Declan and his entire subplot can get shot and ditched on the beach at any moment.

Kurosawa Fan
10-26-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm still in, but it is kind of starting to wear on me. Don't much care for the introduction of new accented male heart throb, am as tired of Daniel and Charlotte as I am of Declan and Jack, and the mom storyline isn't as interesting as I feel it should be, but Emily and Nolan and the nastiness of the adult Graysons are worth the 40 mins/week right now.

EyesWideOpen
10-30-2012, 03:44 AM
I'm madly addicted to this show and my wife only occasionally watches if she's in the living room with me. Trying to explain what's going on is an exercise in futility. So many double crosses and back from the deads and trying to tell if I'm talking about Emily/Amanda or Amanda/Amanda.

Mara
11-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Lots of moving the pieces around the board this week. It's not bad, exactly, but they need to trim the fat on this show. And by "fat" I mean a half-dozen of the supporting characters.

Conrad's marriage proposal was a soap opera thing of beauty.

Nolan needs to stop sleeping with manipulative shyster and become the manipulative shyster. This is important to me.

number8
11-02-2012, 03:36 AM
I am utterly confused as to what exactly is happening but I'm following it anyway. I'm sure this is how people feel watching soaps.

EyesWideOpen
11-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Madeline Stowe's acting is so terrible it's awesome. The first scene with her and Conrad on the beach is at almost Tommy Wiseau levels.

Mara
11-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Okay, it's not like this show has changed what it fundamentally is... but I wonder if it's maybe getting a little too silly for me.

I'm still enjoying it, but I'm starting to feel an expiration date on this.

number8
11-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Happens to soaps all the time.

number8
12-04-2012, 01:56 AM
This show is rather annoying now.

Mara
12-04-2012, 07:22 PM
This show is rather annoying now.

Wish Sam Anders had shown up before the show got so dumb.

I still love Nolan, but he's not getting enough screen time.

EyesWideOpen
02-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Am I the only one still watching this? Pretty big stuff happening.

Kurosawa Fan
02-25-2013, 12:04 AM
Am I the only one still watching this? Pretty big stuff happening.

My wife and I are still with it. Almost checked out, in fact got waaaay behind, but caught up last week and I totally agree. The show is getting exciting again. It's returning to must watch weekly TV.

number8
02-27-2013, 02:19 AM
I still think the overall story this season is a mess, but the last two episodes were exciting shit.

The next episode is directed by Helen Hunt. lolwut?

EyesWideOpen
02-27-2013, 02:37 AM
Everything involving BSG dude and his brother was awful.

number8
04-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Creator Mike Kelley is leaving the show after S2. Rumor is that he always argued that the show is better as a cable-style 13-episode seasons, but ABC insisted on ordering 22, so they had to come up with a lot of filler that hurt the show, and I guess he's calling it quits on that.

EyesWideOpen
05-14-2013, 02:13 AM
That finale was soooooooo good!

number8
05-16-2013, 03:04 AM
Fuuuuck the last 3 eps were crazy.

EyesWideOpen
05-16-2013, 06:43 AM
If Mara is still watching I'm gonna assume she is thrilled with the events.

Thirdmango
05-19-2013, 05:28 PM
I know my mom is telling me I'm a fool for not watching it right now.

MarkJohnson
05-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Revenge is best show. Recently i start watching this show and i love this show. I have already completed 5 episodes of this show

Mara
05-28-2013, 11:52 AM
If Mara is still watching I'm gonna assume she is thrilled with the events.

I'm not. What's up? Feel free to spoil me-- if it's particularly good I might catch up at some point.

number8
05-28-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm not. What's up? Feel free to spoil me-- if it's particularly good I might catch up at some point.

They killed Declan.

Mara
05-28-2013, 06:09 PM
They killed Declan.

OVERDUE.