PDA

View Full Version : The Filmmaker Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Sycophant
01-12-2008, 06:32 AM
I know a lot of us here are aspiring/pseudo-accomplished filmmakers of some stripe--directing, editing, writing, acting, whatever. I know it's exposing oneself to a lot of criticism, posting about your work here among us opinionated, judgmental types, but I thought it might be a good idea to have some place to go where we can shamelessly talk about what we're doing (it always felt out of place when I talked about it in Random Feelings/Thoughts). And I'm not currently promoting anything (though I am putting the finishing touches on a couple of shorts), so I figured it was a safe time for me to do it.

megladon8
01-12-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm working on the script of a story I've had in my head and written/re-written countless times over the past 6 years.

I am also in pre-production for a project where myself and 3 others have to buy a 2-hour bus pass and make a guerilla-style film project using any script or approach we want. It just has to be made on the public bus using that single 2-hour span.

transmogrifier
01-12-2008, 07:48 AM
I'm brainstorming.

Li Lili
01-12-2008, 04:34 PM
I made a couple of videos a couple of years ago, and did some performances for other people's works, but it was video art.
I don't make anything now but I like watching, promoting and showing other people's works. I think I'm better for that.

Are you using film or video ? What kind of work ?

Sycophant
01-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Right now I'm in post-production on two videos, one about six minutes long, the other about ten. They're comedy shorts. I shoot with a Panasonic MiniDV (either my own GS-120--which is surprisingly good--or a friend's every-so-sexy DVX100B). Currently, I don't have any new shoots planned, or any short scripts to really work with, but a friend of mine and I are trying to shop around a feature and I'm off-and-on working on about seven other screenplays.

Sycophant
01-12-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't make anything now but I like watching, promoting and showing other people's works. I think I'm better for that.
Heh. I wish I had someone like you for that. I'm terrible at self-promotion, though I also love helping other people's projects get made, and do what I can to promote those.

Ivan Drago
01-13-2008, 02:07 AM
Not a film, but I'm in the process of working on a graphic novel. Only for fun, though.

Ezee E
01-13-2008, 02:04 PM
I posted my movie on the old site and got some pretty sweet reviews (many of which were negative reviews, but nonetheless awesome), so I'll have to dig it up again and post it here.

I'm also finishing another script that I would like to get some feedback on.

Ykylkx or whatev, he even had one of my movies in his yearly list of movies he saw. It was pretty freakin' low on his list, but it beat out movies that I actually liked. So that rules.

Li Lili
01-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Right now I'm in post-production on two videos, one about six minutes long, the other about ten. They're comedy shorts. I shoot with a Panasonic MiniDV (either my own GS-120--which is surprisingly good--or a friend's every-so-sexy DVX100B). Currently, I don't have any new shoots planned, or any short scripts to really work with, but a friend of mine and I are trying to shop around a feature and I'm off-and-on working on about seven other screenplays.
That's cool.
The problem I have with digital is that I found the image too flat, I think black and white fits better.
Perhaps you can show us some bits when they are finished. I've always liked following projects and see how they involve.
One independent Chinese filmmaker said that "a film has its own life and fate. Just like a river, sometimes it flows straight and calm; sometimes it flows in twists and turns. The filmmaker is another, but a droplet thrown out by the waves". So Chinese... but it reflects quite well of how some of independent Chinese filmmakers consider their artistic works, and life in general.
I was happy to see the film in question selected in Vancouver and other film festivals, and I liked the film.

Heh. I wish I had someone like you for that. I'm terrible at self-promotion, though I also love helping other people's projects get made, and do what I can to promote those.
It's not easy to promote our own work, and I don't think just self-confidence is enough, and it's not easy to have enough distance with what you do.
But they are plenty of possibilities.
Keep on working, I'm pretty sure if you believe in what you do, and if you focus on your work and you are motivate and in a way ambitious, then, you're on your way...
But more important it's the pleasure of making.

Buffaluffasaurus
01-14-2008, 02:55 AM
Ah yes... I was once a humble filmmaker with stars in my eyes. Now I work in commercials because it's easier to write off coke and hookers as a business expense.

Viva la cinema!

Lasse
01-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Ah yes... I was once a humble filmmaker with stars in my eyes. Now I work in commercials because it's easier to write off coke and hookers as a business expense.

Viva la cinema!

I have to ask if it's your plan to keep doing these commercials (and stuff like that) or if you want to go on making "real" films?

I really think Midfull is awesome. :)

Skitch
01-15-2008, 01:21 AM
I'm always writing. Occasionally I get cornered into acting...and special effects...and make up (which is a blast).

www.myspace.com/silentnightproductions

If anyone is interested in seeing one of our (very) meager (three) films, let me know. I hook you up, mayn. :)

megladon8
01-15-2008, 02:36 AM
I just finished doing a technical edit of the first act of "Awake".

If anyone's interested in reading it I can PM it to you.

megladon8
01-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Our assignment for tomorrow is to write a one-page proposal for an original TV series idea.

I was thinking of doing a high school drama somewhat like "Degrassi", but all the characters are giant monsters.

Godzilla has a thing for Mothra, but knows Mothra likes Baragon, etc. Godzilla hooks up with Mothra at a party while she's drunk, and she gets pregnant, and Godzilla tells her he'll give up his social life to be with her and raise the baby, then it's born and is a three-headed dragon, obviously making it the spawn of Ghidorah.

Can anyone give me some help/suggestions for a title for the show?

The best I can come up with at the moment is "Monster High", but I was hoping for something a little more clever and original.

Ezee E
01-16-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm pretty sure I've heard of something like Monster High already. Not the show premise, but the title.

I might be confusing it with something else.

Ezee E
01-16-2008, 01:56 AM
Vern Meets Jane (http://www.stickypod.com/video/film/vernmeetsjanefull.mov)

Funny. A google search of this has torrent downloads, Russian websites, Asian websites, and more with info on it. Awesome.

Sycophant
01-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Erm... I may be directing a feature this summer.

megladon8
01-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Erm... I may be directing a feature this summer.

Wicked!

Where? And how are you getting it funded?

Sycophant
01-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Wicked!

Where? And how are you getting it funded?Plans are to shoot it here in Utah with minimal investments from crew, friends, and family--and to get everybody to work for free, so all our money goes to equipment and location costs. The script I'm finishing is being written with a very low budget in mind, but I've been working on the story for nearly four years now. It's a little daunting and nothing is definite, but I've got a production team lining up.

megladon8
01-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Plans are to shoot it here in Utah with minimal investments from crew, friends, and family--and to get everybody to work for free, so all our money goes to equipment and location costs. The script I'm finishing is being written with a very low budget in mind, but I've been working on the story for nearly four years now. It's a little daunting and nothing is definite, but I've got a production team lining up.

That's so awesome - best of luck to you.

I have a story I've been trying to put on film for nearly 6 years now. I have about 3 different versions of it written in prose, and an ever-evolving script.

At one point I even had potential funding from a company in England, but they ended up pulling out.

With family and friends, you'll have much better luck than me, I imagine.

How long do you imagine it will take to shoot? And are there very many locations?

I am still always surprised when I read of the costs of renting locations - it's crazy sometimes. Even to get permission to shoot in an area of the city that's practically deserted, it's mega-bucks.

I'm thinking I may resort to guerilla filmmaking for the time being.

Sycophant
01-31-2008, 06:21 PM
That's so awesome - best of luck to you.

I have a story I've been trying to put on film for nearly 6 years now. I have about 3 different versions of it written in prose, and an ever-evolving script.

At one point I even had potential funding from a company in England, but they ended up pulling out.

With family and friends, you'll have much better luck than me, I imagine.

How long do you imagine it will take to shoot? And are there very many locations?

I am still always surprised when I read of the costs of renting locations - it's crazy sometimes. Even to get permission to shoot in an area of the city that's practically deserted, it's mega-bucks.

I'm thinking I may resort to guerrilla filmmaking for the time being.I've been doing guerrilla-style shorts for about four years now (though last year, I did pay to use one location... and effectively lied to get into others). This one, we're going to try to do all nice and legal, but a lot of it will be shot on properties we know the owners of and others we'll try to work out some sort of promotional deal. The apartment of the main character will be one we rent... and I'll probably live in. There are probably about twelve major locations, some of which we'll probably actually resort to shooting guerrilla. I expect that it's going to take about six weeks of semi-dedicated shooting, but that depends on cast and crew's availability. I'm going to end up quitting my full-time job and moving closer to the shoot location, probably to pick up a part-time job. It's going to be a major commitment (and afterwards, I'm moving to New York), but if it comes through, it's going to rock.

megladon8
01-31-2008, 06:25 PM
I've been doing guerrilla-style shorts for about four years now (though last year, I did pay to use one location... and effectively lied to get into others). This one, we're going to try to do all nice and legal, but a lot of it will be shot on properties we know the owners of and others we'll try to work out some sort of promotional deal. The apartment of the main character will be one we rent... and I'll probably live in. There are probably about twelve major locations, some of which we'll probably actually resort to shooting guerrilla. I expect that it's going to take about six weeks of semi-dedicated shooting, but that depends on cast and crew's availability. I'm going to end up quitting my full-time job and moving closer to the shoot location, probably to pick up a part-time job. It's going to be a major commitment (and afterwards, I'm moving to New York), but if it comes through, it's going to rock.

Hey, cool, I'm moving to NYC pretty soon myself :)

We should hang out, and possibly even collaborate on something?

I'll take no offense at all if you wouldn't be interested in that - just a suggestion.

Ezee E
01-31-2008, 06:31 PM
The only problem with free cast and crew is that you pay for what you get basically. Free leads to people that say they'll commit, only to back out when the time comes, and those that do show up either don't know what they're doing, or bicker around too much.

Gaffers should stay gaffers. Unless a light is pointing wrong, I don't want to hear about a performance or a camera technique.

Good luck though. Despite my complaints, I'm trying to do the same thing actually. With a small, trustworthy crew, you can get a lot done. In small cities, people will usually let you film on their site for free just so they can have a part in the credits.

megladon8
01-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Good luck though. Despite my complaints, I'm trying to do the same thing actually. With a small, trustworthy crew, you can get a lot done. In small cities, people will usually let you film on their site for free just so they can have a part in the credits.

Yes, a guy who came in to talk to our class - named Derek Diorio - is somewhat of a legend in Canada for his guerilla filmmaking in small towns/cities.

He will quite often just bring out his own road blocks and redirect traffic himself - without notifying the city or police or anything.

Then, if/when the police com around, he'll simply tell them that he's filming a movie, and he offers them small roles, and they are delighted to be in a movie.

Ezee E
01-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Yes, a guy who came in to talk to our class - named Derek Diorio - is somewhat of a legend in Canada for his guerilla filmmaking in small towns/cities.

He will quite often just bring out his own road blocks and redirect traffic himself - without notifying the city or police or anything.

Then, if/when the police com around, he'll simply tell them that he's filming a movie, and he offers them small roles, and they are delighted to be in a movie.
Yep. Same thing happened here. We were filming on an isolated road, with a fake cop car (illegal!) and had traffic cones set up and everything. A cop asked us what was going on, and we said we were filming. He told us that he would go finish his route, come back, and that we better be gone by then.

Luckily we finished the scene.

megladon8
01-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Yep. Same thing happened here. We were filming on an isolated road, with a fake cop car (illegal!) and had traffic cones set up and everything. A cop asked us what was going on, and we said we were filming. He told us that he would go finish his route, come back, and that we better be gone by then.

Luckily we finished the scene.

Two weeks ago a group of 4 other students and I had to put together a video involving the local bus system.

We got on the bus, and were filming for a bit, then the driver got quite angry and told us to get off the bus because filming on there was "illegal".

So we got off, and just got back on the next bus that went by.

Of course, when you look at the final product and see that the other passengers are constantly changing, it makes no sense (since it's all supposed to take place on one bus)...but we can just put together some B.S. excuse about it being "artistic" or something :)

Sycophant
01-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Hey, cool, I'm moving to NYC pretty soon myself :)

We should hang out, and possibly even collaborate on something?

I'll take no offense at all if you wouldn't be interested in that - just a suggestion.Awesome. We totally should.

It's risky shooting with people working for free and I've been hurt even by friends who don't feel totally committed. It's a little scary, which is why I intend to try to do it with a good deal of latitude for time. If we were working full full-time, I'd imagine we could shoot the whole thing in two weeks. I need to look into the legal ramifications of doing things this way.

The last thing I need, as you seem to suggest, E, is to work with people who are wanting to be doing my or someone else's jobs. That's why I'm trying to get more actorly actors than I've worked with in the past (planning on starting auditions in about two months). I've also enlisted a friend to be my AD so he can deal witih all the minor stuff that really bogged down my last major shoot.

Sycophant
01-31-2008, 06:49 PM
The last time a cop interrupted one of my shoots was actually back in high school, where we were shooting a scene with swords and demon masks at an elementary school late at night. We weren't the satanists they thought we were, but they told us to clear out before they came back. I've done everything possible to use isolated and deserted locations since.

Ezee E
01-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Two weeks ago a group of 4 other students and I had to put together a video involving the local bus system.

We got on the bus, and were filming for a bit, then the driver got quite angry and told us to get off the bus because filming on there was "illegal".

So we got off, and just got back on the next bus that went by.

Of course, when you look at the final product and see that the other passengers are constantly changing, it makes no sense (since it's all supposed to take place on one bus)...but we can just put together some B.S. excuse about it being "artistic" or something :)
I'm not sure of your movie's approach, but you could have just used closer shots on your characters, isolated shots, and jump cuts. It starts as simple at the beginning as, "We gotta jump from this to bus four." Cut. Boom.

And if you haven't got those lines recorded, cut to a shot of a window, or something on the bus, and then cut back to them on the new bus.

megladon8
01-31-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure of your movie's approach, but you could have just used closer shots on your characters, isolated shots, and jump cuts. It starts as simple at the beginning as, "We gotta jump from this to bus four." Cut. Boom.

And if you haven't got those lines recorded, cut to a shot of a window, or something on the bus, and then cut back to them on the new bus.

Unfortunately stuff this "fancy" couldn't be done within the parameters of the assignment...

Here in Ottawa when you pay the $3-$5 fee to get on the bus, they give you a little transfer slip which you can then use to board any bus for the next 2 hours.

So the assignment was to make some sort of film involving the bus system, within the span of the 2 hours.

So we didn't really have much time for planning or sophisticated camerawork.

It's a totally ridiculous assignment, and the whole class agreed, but it's my teacher's first year teaching, and he still doesn't really know what he's doing. My group "rebelled" by having more than half of our film take place outside the bus :)

Kurious Jorge v3.1
02-01-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm mostly a writer but also an aspiring filmmaker, made a couple of shorts that were reminiscent of works of Kenneth Anger, Maya Deren and Joseph Cornell. Here is some shots from the film(s). I plan on putting them on youtube soon, so if anyone is interested in seeing them....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/Untitled_0005028_0001.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/5_1_200612_10PM_0002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/Untitled_0005019_0001.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/Untitled_0005004_0002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/Untitled_0005003_0001.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/Untitled_0005004_0003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/5_8_200611_46AM_0001.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/Untitled_0004006_0001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/Untitled_0004011_0002.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/Untitled_0004015_0002.jpg

Sycophant
02-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Those images look fantastic, Kurious. Let us know when they're up.

megladon8
02-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Those are gorgeous images, Kurious Jorge.

What equipment did you use for filming and post-production?

Kurious Jorge v3.1
02-01-2008, 01:29 AM
Those are gorgeous images, Kurious Jorge.

What equipment did you use for filming and post-production?

Thanks.

I used the tools of your basic low level production class (a Bolex 16mm camera and Avid, the black-and-white film was edited by hand).

I wound the film and ran it through the camera again on most of the films for the lovely superimpostions although some I made in post.

Sycophant
02-05-2008, 06:32 AM
By the way, has anyone worked with HDV format video? I keep being told that its progressive modes look really jittery when capturing motion. But if I'm shooting a film without a lot of camera movement and a largely still frame, is this going to be an issue?

I wish I could get my hands on an HDV camera.

Sycophant
02-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Vimeo is cooler than YouTube in that it is much kinder in its video compression, leaving good-looking video good-looking. I've uploaded my 2006 short film The Mustache (http://www.vimeo.com/679377) there. Um... that's all.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
02-12-2008, 03:27 AM
Vimeo is cooler than YouTube in that it is much kinder in its video compression, leaving good-looking video good-looking. I've uploaded my 2006 short film The Mustache (http://www.vimeo.com/679377) there. Um... that's all.

wow, yes much better quality. I think I will upload future efforts there.

The guy in your film looks like Colonel Blimp with that mustache!

Sycophant
02-12-2008, 05:03 AM
The guy in your film looks like Colonel Blimp with that mustache!I'll pass that along. I'm sure he'll be flattered.

origami_mustache
02-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Currently shooting midterms at school in which the directing majors basically pick a scene from an award winning script and adapt it. I am sound mixer for 4 and boom operator for 4 during the production cycle and will be coediting a couple, doing post sound work for half of them, and everyone has to help with set construction and such. So far I've worked on scenes from Lost in Translation, Being John Malkovich, and Clockwork Orange. This week I'll be working on Memento, and a couple of others.

Sycophant
02-19-2008, 03:56 PM
The Salt Lake Film Society here does this amazing thing every three months called Open Mic Nite. Local filmmakers pay a $5 entry fee to get their films projected on a silver screen in a two-hour block. I've had a couple there in the past and I'm debuting my new one, The Importance of Tolerace there tomorrow. I'm really proud of this one and am experiencing the usual combination of hope, anxiety, and fear that comes with an audience screening.

Kurosawa Fan
02-19-2008, 04:10 PM
The Salt Lake Film Society here does this amazing thing every three months called Open Mic Nite. Local filmmakers pay a $5 entry fee to get their films projected on a silver screen in a two-hour block. I've had a couple there in the past and I'm debuting my new one, The Importance of Tolerace there tomorrow. I'm really proud of this one and am experiencing the usual combination of hope, anxiety, and fear that comes with an audience screening.

Awesome! Good luck to you. I hope everything goes swimmingly.

Sycophant
02-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Awesome! Good luck to you. I hope everything goes swimmingly.
Thanks! It's a really great event that the Film Society puts together here. I'd encourage anyone involved in their local film societies (fasozupow?) to think about starting one of these.

D_Davis
02-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks! It's a really great event that the Film Society puts together here. I'd encourage anyone involved in their local film societies (fasozupow?) to think about starting one of these.

This sounds great man, good luck!

What's the short about?

Sycophant
02-19-2008, 04:33 PM
This sounds great man, good luck!

What's the short about?It's a send up of LDS Church-produced videos. I don't know how much relevance it'll have to anyone who isn't at least somewhat Mormon culture, but I've been told by quite a few I've nailed it. It starts out with a young Mormon guy (the cast is high schoolers played by mid-twentysomethings, true to form) being troubled by the revelation that a friend of his *gasp* isn't Mormon but Catholic.

It's about six minutes long. I'll be posting it on my production company's website (http://www.bombdotcom.net/) by the end of the week.

megladon8
02-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Wow, my Writing for Broadcast (TV) teacher liked my "I Was a Teenage Behemoth" (giant monster comedy) show idea so much that he's going to pitch it for me tomorrow at a meeting with the CBC.

Sycophant
02-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Wow, my Writing for Broadcast (TV) teacher liked my "I Was a Teenage Behemoth" (giant monster comedy) show idea so much that he's going to pitch it for me tomorrow at a meeting with the CBC.Whoa, that's awesome, meg! Good luck!

megladon8
02-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Whoa, that's awesome, meg! Good luck!

Thanks! :)

The chances of it actually getting picked up are like 99-to-1, but just to have had someone high up look at my work and know my name will be pretty cool.

Sycophant
02-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks! :)

The chances of it actually getting picked up are like 99-to-1, but just to have had someone high up look at my work and know my name will be pretty cool.
Absolutely. I remember in the sixth grade, I wrote an illustrated a children's book that my teacher was really taken with that she helped me submit for publishing. Obviously, I got a rejection letter that totally crushed my delicate soul, but it was an honor just to be recognized!

megladon8
02-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Absolutely. I remember in the sixth grade, I wrote an illustrated a children's book that my teacher was really taken with that she helped me submit for publishing. Obviously, I got a rejection letter that totally crushed my delicate soul, but it was an honor just to be recognized!

Ah yes, childhood publishing. I knew a kid who had a book published when he was in grade 5 or 6, and I was super jealous.

I imagine the rejection letter was at least kindly worded?

Kurious Jorge v3.1
02-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Get ready for teh mindfuck! My optical opus, a flicker film I made last year. It is 1 minute of visual crack. Comments most welcome!

Concealer (2007/B&W/16mm)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/Untitled002_0003.jpg (http://www.vimeo.com/711427)

Duncan
02-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Get ready for teh mindfuck! My optical opus, a flicker film I made last year. It is 1 minute of visual crack. Comments most welcome!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/Untitled002_0003.jpg (http://www.vimeo.com/711427)

Very cool. What's the music?

Kurious Jorge v3.1
02-21-2008, 02:09 AM
Very cool. What's the music?

rjd2 - chicken-bone circuit

megladon8
02-21-2008, 03:01 AM
I really like that too, Jorge :)

Li Lili
02-21-2008, 09:44 PM

If you like experimental videos, you can watch some video art works and experimental films on this site (http://www.directorslounge.net/dltv/index.html)

I recommend :
experimental :
Untitled # (http://www.directorslounge.net/dltv/godovannaya.html)
Courrour Station (http://www.directorslounge.net/dltv/courrourlow.html)
Donkey Harvest (http://www.directorslounge.net/dltv/donkeyhavest.html)
video art :
da qui sopra il mare (http://www.directorslounge.net/dltv/santinihigh.html)
Just Say No To Family Values (http://www.directorslounge.net/dltv/faretta.html)
video loop installation :
Quasi-Objects / Cinematic n.04 (http://www.directorslounge.net/dltv/oggiano.html)

Sycophant
02-23-2008, 04:35 PM
This is the film I screened Wednesday night. It reminded me that, yeah, this film is pretty much for insiders of Mormon culture. But since I was talking about it, here it is anyways:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/SCFi4H5nXcM/default.jpg (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SCFi4H5nXcM)

And this is something probably more accessible.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/1pBU72EHPHE/default.jpg (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1pBU72EHPHE)

[/whore]

Barty
02-24-2008, 08:08 PM
This is the film I screened Wednesday night. It reminded me that, yeah, this film is pretty much for insiders of Mormon culture. But since I was talking about it, here it is anyways:

Pretty funny send up. The shot of him praying in the grove made me laugh. Nicely done.

D_Davis
02-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Pretty funny send up. The shot of him praying in the grove made me laugh. Nicely done.

Was that the same grove that Joseph Smith used to pray in?

Barty
02-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Was that the same grove that Joseph Smith used to pray in?

No, but I'm guessing Sycophant meant to reference it. :lol:

Sycophant
02-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Glad you caught that, Barty! As far as I'm concerned, that was our money shot.

We couldn't afford plane tickets out to upstate New York (we shot this for roughly $20 in prop and material costs in the span of about eight hours), and in fact snagged that shot in the midst of ratty-ass shrubs in Rock Canyon park in Provo, Utah.

Barty
02-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Glad you caught that, Barty! As far as I'm concerned, that was our money shot.

It was an awesome shot. Made me laugh.

D_Davis
02-25-2008, 12:08 AM
So what you are saying in that film is that Catholics are gay and Mormons aren't.

Interesting.

Duncan
02-25-2008, 12:20 AM

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/SCFi4H5nXcM/default.jpg (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SCFi4H5nXcM)
Honestly, that's pretty close to how I imagine Utah. Tucked in shirts, sweater vests, white people as awkward as Mitt Romney, and an air of kindness that I can't help be skeptical of. Then again, I've never been to Utah.

Sycophant
02-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Honestly, that's pretty close to how I imagine Utah. Tucked in shirts, sweater vests, white people as awkward as Mitt Romney, and an air of kindness that I can't help be skeptical of. Then again, I've never been to Utah.It's the image so many of us around here strive to preserve.

origami_mustache
02-26-2008, 08:06 AM
This was my first production sound mixing effort...I was also an extra in this short comedy called From Wack To Mack...it's pretty corny, but what can I do haha.

Part 1

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/dVQRBZfQ37E/default.jpg (http://youtube.com/watch?v=dVQRBZfQ37E)

Part 2
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/yXU5t6yalcQ/default.jpg (http://youtube.com/watch?v=yXU5t6yalcQ)

Philosophe_rouge
03-15-2008, 03:37 AM
I'm planning on shooting a film in black and white and need some serious help. I know, so student film... I'm making a noirish film about a boxer on a very limited timeline/budget. The only thing I have is good locations, an actual boxer and a good camera (a high end Panasonic, DVX100 I think)... I've made one project before which was pretty good, but I had a lot of help I don't have this time around.

I've heard two camps of thought, work most of it in post production by filming in colour or work with it with the setting on the camera(I'm pretty sure it's on the camera). Also, some suggestions/advice for lighting would be incredible. I know backlighting is especially important otherwise people blend into the backgrounds. I'm trying to achieve stark contrast, and work with high key lighting. I'm not really that great with this kind of stuff so all the help I can get is welcome :praise:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/giancarletto/FILM/NOIR/500/500OutOfThePast.jpg
Example of look trying to achieve sorta. I'm also working with an outdoor location at night. Any suggestions with that also would be so wonderful.

Ezee E
03-15-2008, 03:43 AM
Any access to DPs or Gaffers? If you're in film school, find one, and they'll definitely be more help then us. However, for that particular shot, just take a close look at how they are being lit. There is obviously from the front, but it also looks like the roof is lit so that we can see the hair, the hat, and even the roof itself. It's certainly not realistic, but it lets us see the actors better and gives a better depth of field because we can see the windows as well.

They're most likely on a set filming this, so I'm not sure if you have those capabilities, because it'll certainly make sound an easier issue.

What type of scene are you shooting outside? Day or night?

Philosophe_rouge
03-15-2008, 03:52 AM
Any access to DPs or Gaffers? If you're in film school, find one, and they'll definitely be more help then us. However, for that particular shot, just take a close look at how they are being lit. There is obviously from the front, but it also looks like the roof is lit so that we can see the hair, the hat, and even the roof itself. It's certainly not realistic, but it lets us see the actors better and gives a better depth of field because we can see the windows as well.

They're most likely on a set filming this, so I'm not sure if you have those capabilities, because it'll certainly make sound an easier issue.

What type of scene are you shooting outside? Day or night?
Not that I know of, I have asked a few people about it though, I'm waiting for an answer. I'm figuring on covering all my bases. Unfortunately, they're too busy to actually work on my project at the moment. I'm not going for realistic, so that's not a problem. Although quite obvious, surprisingly actually analyzing the shots never occured to me.. so thanks for that.

I only have one outdoor location, and although controlling sound in the indoor locations I do have is not 100% possible, I'm fairly experienced with reducing noise as much as possible. I don't have a lot of dialogue, one line really, I'm going to try and capture as much sound as possible but I think a lot of it is going to be done afterwards.

I'm shooting at night in front of a building with a rather huge neon sign. It's rather open, and can pull together some resources to get some lights I can use without outlets. It's a long shot of a man walking in front of it, there is also a close-up/mid shot of a drunk couple.

Ezee E
03-15-2008, 04:44 AM
Not that I know of, I have asked a few people about it though, I'm waiting for an answer. I'm figuring on covering all my bases. Unfortunately, they're too busy to actually work on my project at the moment. I'm not going for realistic, so that's not a problem. Although quite obvious, surprisingly actually analyzing the shots never occured to me.. so thanks for that.

I only have one outdoor location, and although controlling sound in the indoor locations I do have is not 100% possible, I'm fairly experienced with reducing noise as much as possible. I don't have a lot of dialogue, one line really, I'm going to try and capture as much sound as possible but I think a lot of it is going to be done afterwards.

I'm shooting at night in front of a building with a rather huge neon sign. It's rather open, and can pull together some resources to get some lights I can use without outlets. It's a long shot of a man walking in front of it, there is also a close-up/mid shot of a drunk couple.
Neon lights are fun. Typically, a neon light in a movie can somehow cover an entire parking lot it seems. Just look at Big Lebowski. My only idea would be to use a gel. If possible, film at dusk and decrease the exposure. When it's completely dark, it tends to make your video look grainy.

Also, if you are able to get a cameraman, or by yourself, test it out. My film partner and I tend to film ourselves rehearsing scenes with our lighting ideas to see if we like the way it looks. It's much better figuring it out then, instead of when you have actors and a crew to deal with.

Philosophe_rouge
03-15-2008, 04:52 AM
Neon lights are fun. Typically, a neon light in a movie can somehow cover an entire parking lot it seems. Just look at Big Lebowski. My only idea would be to use a gel. If possible, film at dusk and decrease the exposure. When it's completely dark, it tends to make your video look grainy.

Also, if you are able to get a cameraman, or by yourself, test it out. My film partner and I tend to film ourselves rehearsing scenes with our lighting ideas to see if we like the way it looks. It's much better figuring it out then, instead of when you have actors and a crew to deal with.
I would do that, but I only have the actor available after 8pm. A shame... hopefully the sign is enough though, it's pretty huge.

Unfortunately, the cameras I have are on very limited reserve. Not many of them and tons of students. I can't test anything out with the Panasonic because I only have 3 days, and they're filled to the brim. Usually it's only a day, but it's break so yo ucan reserve them for a little longer. I was planning on heading on out with my crappy DV camera tomorrow just to test things out though. Far from the same effect, but I would get a general idea.

Sycophant
03-15-2008, 05:00 AM
If you're shooting with a DVX100B, that camera is a dream. Doesn't get better in SD.

I haven't really worked with black and white since high school, though a friend of mine did a film I was in (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQf6P5foMJQ) where we shot in color with my Panny GS-120 and took it down, all using natural light. If the neon light is strong enough (and the DVX100 is wonderful in low light anyway), you can surely use that as a significant source of light so long as you're mindful of it in your compositions. I'm mostly accustomed to forcing available light to work, so I'm not sure how much help I can offer in that regard.

At any rate, you should definitely do some kind of screen test if possible. And best of luck!

origami_mustache
03-15-2008, 07:50 AM
shooting a sweded version of There Will Be Blood should tomorrow should be fun.

Grouchy
03-15-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm planning on shooting a film in black and white and need some serious help. I know, so student film... I'm making a noirish film about a boxer on a very limited timeline/budget. The only thing I have is good locations, an actual boxer and a good camera (a high end Panasonic, DVX100 I think)... I've made one project before which was pretty good, but I had a lot of help I don't have this time around.

I've heard two camps of thought, work most of it in post production by filming in colour or work with it with the setting on the camera(I'm pretty sure it's on the camera). Also, some suggestions/advice for lighting would be incredible. I know backlighting is especially important otherwise people blend into the backgrounds. I'm trying to achieve stark contrast, and work with high key lighting. I'm not really that great with this kind of stuff so all the help I can get is welcome :praise:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/giancarletto/FILM/NOIR/500/500OutOfThePast.jpg
Example of look trying to achieve sorta. I'm also working with an outdoor location at night. Any suggestions with that also would be so wonderful.
Use a red filter on the lens of the camera. It will make lights harder and create more defined lines between light and shadows. Also, everything that E said. Get yourself a good DP. Analyze the lighting in pictures of noir movies. It's highly expressionistic, and they don't have to come out of a visible source. Using neon and car lights is fun.

Philosophe_rouge
03-15-2008, 07:59 PM
If you're shooting with a DVX100B, that camera is a dream. Doesn't get better in SD.

I haven't really worked with black and white since high school, though a friend of mine did a film I was in (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQf6P5foMJQ) where we shot in color with my Panny GS-120 and took it down, all using natural light. If the neon light is strong enough (and the DVX100 is wonderful in low light anyway), you can surely use that as a significant source of light so long as you're mindful of it in your compositions. I'm mostly accustomed to forcing available light to work, so I'm not sure how much help I can offer in that regard.

At any rate, you should definitely do some kind of screen test if possible. And best of luck!
That short was brilliant, probably the best faux silent I've seen. The punch line was awesome.

Yea, I've talked to a few other people and everyone seems to say going for colour is the best option. Considering the power of the software, you can adjust different shades in post-production to look better in black and white. Having the colour will overall lead to a richer pallette.

Use a red filter on the lens of the camera. It will make lights harder and create more defined lines between light and shadows. Also, everything that E said. Get yourself a good DP. Analyze the lighting in pictures of noir movies. It's highly expressionistic, and they don't have to come out of a visible source. Using neon and car lights is fun.
I didn't know about the red filter, thanks for that. I'm already starting with analysis, I also have a ton of photography books lying around that show how using reflectors and angles of light will effect the final outcome. Very helpful. The car light idea is brilliant, I'm totally using that. Thanks!

eternity
03-16-2008, 09:18 PM

And this is something probably more accessible.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/1pBU72EHPHE/default.jpg (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1pBU72EHPHE)

[/whore]I totally did not expect that ending.

Rowland
03-16-2008, 09:49 PM
I want to buy a digital camera and do some experimental collage work. Does anyone dabble in stuff like that?

origami_mustache
03-20-2008, 02:49 AM
shooting a sweded version of There Will Be Blood should tomorrow should be fun.

We snuck a cut of our Sweded There Will Be Blood into the midterm screenings. It was hilarious since it was sandwiched in with all of the other projects which were taken so seriously. I should have it uploaded on youtube next week.

Boner M
03-21-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm shooting my first film next week. It's a loose, brief remake of Bresson's Mouchette starring a sex doll. Yay!

Ezee E
03-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Co-produced by me:

Olfactin: The Cock Odor Eroder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlMx7_g3F8Q)

Now I gotta direct again...

Boner M
03-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Turns out sex dolls are too expensive, and the project I was planning is only worth a small fraction of the grade for my film class.

Will have to get a new idea fast!

megladon8
03-25-2008, 03:02 AM
On Wednesday I'm going on a class trip to Toronto.

Everyone's getting the opportunity to pitch movies/TV series' to major studios and networks.

I'm pitching my TV series to the Comedy Network and Decode, and *possibly* my movie to CTV and Bravo.

I'm really nervous.

Actually I'm more nervous about the traveling aspect than the actual pitching.

Sycophant
03-25-2008, 04:51 AM
Whatever you're paying for that class, meg, you're getting your money's worth. Yowza. Good luck.

megladon8
03-26-2008, 01:12 AM
Whatever you're paying for that class, meg, you're getting your money's worth. Yowza. Good luck.

Yeah, I know.

It may not be as prestigious as schools in SF or LA (and I admit there are some serious orgnaization problems with one or two of the profs), but by and large I have learned a lot.

I'm really freaking nervous for this trip.

EDIT: And thank you for your wishes of luck!

megladon8
03-29-2008, 01:56 AM
Well, I'm home.

I pitched to The Comedy Network and Decode. Decode said they would look into producing my show if I could establish a relationship with Teletoon where it could be distributed (obviously as an animated show, rather than my initial hope for it to be live action).

I met some interesting people, as well.

While leaving the CBC building I ran into Rick Mercer and sat down for a one-on-one chat with him which was pretty cool.

origami_mustache
03-29-2008, 02:19 AM
We snuck a cut of our Sweded There Will Be Blood into the midterm screenings. It was hilarious since it was sandwiched in with all of the other projects which were taken so seriously. I should have it uploaded on youtube next week.

posted it in youtube thread:

http://www.match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=50342&postcount=384

Sycophant
05-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm doing casting for my feature tomorrow. Color me nervous.

origami_mustache
05-08-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm doing casting for my feature tomorrow. Color me nervous.

good luck

Sycophant
05-22-2008, 04:18 PM
good luck
Thanks. We had another one last week and we're having one last one this Saturday. The response the first week was meager, but last week I saw 20-some people and this week, I've already got six people scheduled. What's best is that there are only two of ten characters I don't have someone I'd feel comfortable casting out of what we have, and we already have someone I like for the lead.

Doing a casting session? Major fucking power trip.

origami_mustache
05-22-2008, 05:18 PM
I shot a sketch comedy bit with some friends over the weekend. It's based on a character that combines nonsensical spoken word, hip-hop, beat poetry, and skat. Editing it has been so fun, hopefully other people will find it as funny as we do, but that's usually not how it works haha.

origami_mustache
05-23-2008, 01:42 PM
We actually had an elaborately planned idea to shoot and submit for the NBC Dockers commercial contest, but found that drunken improv is a lot more funny, although probably much less successful. We impulse bought the XXXL T-shirt for $3.99 at a nearby liquor store while restocking and incorporated it just to get our money's worth.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d088e3cc6c

Boner M
05-24-2008, 03:20 AM
My film class group's short will be on youtube in a few weeks... I did the sound.

MacGuffin
06-18-2008, 04:53 AM
I just shot a video for Burial's "Archangel", and am debating on posting it when I finish editing it.

origami_mustache
06-18-2008, 10:13 AM
I just shot a video for Burial's "Archangel", and am debating on posting it when I finish editing it.

post it

MacGuffin
06-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks again for letting me know about Vimeo, Syncophant. I'm uploading some footage from my camera there now.

Sycophant
07-10-2008, 11:37 PM
My film begins shooting in six days. Weird.

Sven
07-10-2008, 11:38 PM

Awesome! Best of talent and luck!

megladon8
07-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Yeah, good luck with everything Sycophant.

Ezee E
07-11-2008, 12:17 AM
What's it about?

Sycophant
07-11-2008, 12:19 AM
What's it about?Minigolf and self-destructive behavior.

Its title is Legends of Minigolf: The Flamingo's Challenge.

And thanks for the wishes of luck, guys!

Ezee E
07-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Minigolf and self-destructive behavior.

Its title is Legends of Minigolf: The Flamingo's Challenge.

And thanks for the wishes of luck, guys!
Well, when it's finished, let us give it a look. Good luck and be patient!

Dead & Messed Up
07-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Hey guys. I wrote this, I didn't personally shoot it, but it turned out pretty damn well. Hopefully we get picked up.

What you're about to watch is a pulpy film noir story that mixes with some fantasy elements. It's pretty damn fun.

Dead End City (http://deadendcity.blip.tv/#1070802)

Sven
07-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Alien Nation dude!!!!!!!

Sven
07-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Watching Graham in Robot Jox is one of my premiere cinematic memories. Pretty esoteric, eh?

Anyway, fun stuff, though it's not my thing. Writing was a bit too derivative, style wasn't claustrophobic enough. Best of luck, though!

Dead & Messed Up
07-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Watching Graham in Robot Jox is one of my premiere cinematic memories. Pretty esoteric, eh?

Anyway, fun stuff, though it's not my thing. Writing was a bit too derivative, style wasn't claustrophobic enough. Best of luck, though!

Thanks, man!

:)

Sycophant
07-21-2008, 01:42 AM
Note to self: Avoid writing scenes set outdoors at night. They are bitches to light.

First two days of shooting have passed. Feel pretty good about them. Thursday's shoot ran from 8:00 p.m. to 7:15 a.m., which was three hours over schedule. I'm working with an amazing cast. Will keep reports about the production slim going forward until I have something to show for it.

Ezee E
07-21-2008, 01:49 AM
Note to self: Avoid writing scenes set outdoors at night. They are bitches to light.

First two days of shooting have passed. Feel pretty good about them. Thursday's shoot ran from 8:00 p.m. to 7:15 a.m., which was three hours over schedule. I'm working with an amazing cast. Will keep reports about the production slim going forward until I have something to show for it.
Shooting out at night is damn tough to light. However, you can get away with a lot too. If your characters are established, as long as you can simply see a bit of them, you'll be fine if you've got good sound.

origami_mustache
07-25-2008, 03:05 AM
I'm doing post sound for a couple of student thesis films at school, but they are both comedies, so sound won't be the featured element. I am considering adding a full soundtrack to a few minutes from the boxing scene in City Lights for a reel with a 5.1 mix where I build all the sound from scratch. I think it will be fun and interesting to design it with a soundtrack similar to Maddin's films with the hissing and crackling reminiscent of films from the era. The hardest part is going to be doing foley for the footstep on the ring...perhaps a good reverb will do the trick though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OgAxWIbTqCs

Sycophant
08-07-2008, 07:47 PM
After today, my film only has two more days left in production. Saturday will be very heavy and Monday will be very light. It's amazing.

Duncan
08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
After today, my film only has two more days left in production. Saturday will be very heavy and Monday will be very light. It's amazing.

I haven't been totally following along. How long have you been working on this thing? And what's its running time going to be?

I just started an experimental adaptation of Goethe's Faust. It's coming along. It'll only end up being about 3 minutes though. Pretty good for a poem of epic length.

BIOspasm
08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm going to graduate from high school next year and am hoping to get involved in film and eventually become a filmmaker. I could probably learn alot from this thread.

Any tips/advice for a complete novice with no experience?

megladon8
08-07-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm going to graduate from high school next year and am hoping to get involved in film and eventually become a filmmaker. I could probably learn alot from this thread.

Any tips/advice for a complete novice with no experience?

As hard as it is, don't take criticism personally.

If someone doesn't like your work, they don't like your work. It has nothing to do with you as a person.

Also, be persistent, but don't be annoying. If you piss someone off, they'll put a big red line under your name and never take your calls again, and they'll also probably tell all their friends about you and then they won't take your calls either.

Let people know you're serious, set up appointments and be there, on time, and know what you're talking about.

And remember that no one is going to help you for free. Not necessarily money, but people involved in the film business are too busy to just give out random favors to people they don't/barely know. Make sure you make your pitches or ideas sound good, and like something that will benefit them. It's a business, afterall, and they want to make money.

BIOspasm
08-07-2008, 08:19 PM
As hard as it is, don't take criticism personally.

If someone doesn't like your work, they don't like your work. It has nothing to do with you as a person.

Also, be persistent, but don't be annoying. If you piss someone off, they'll put a big red line under your name and never take your calls again, and they'll also probably tell all their friends about you and then they won't take your calls either.

Let people know you're serious, set up appointments and be there, on time, and know what you're talking about.

And remember that no one is going to help you for free. Not necessarily money, but people involved in the film business are too busy to just give out random favors to people they don't/barely know. Make sure you make your pitches or ideas sound good, and like something that will benefit them. It's a business, afterall, and they want to make money.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Duncan
08-07-2008, 08:20 PM
My advice is: get a camera and some editing software, and then put together a film. Doesn't matter if it sucks. It's like writing, or painting, or anything else. You get better with practice.

megladon8
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

When I was in Toronto earlier this year pitching my TV show idea, I made sure to include information that made it sound marketable. That's definitely a good thing to do.

My TV show was a comedy about giant monsters (Godzilla and the like) growing up together and going to high school.

I mentioned at the pitch meetings that, since Cloverfield was a pretty big hit, and big enough that they announced the possibility of two sequels, then it's the perfect time for a show like this because the whole "giant monster" thing is now on peoples' radar more than ever.

Anything like that, which will make your product seem like more of a guaranteed success, and you're better off.

And yeah, the whole business is about connections. You don't get a writing/directing job by driving over to Warner Bros. and dropping off a resume and some work samples. You need to know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone, etc. etc. etc.

It can be frustrating, especially because people in this business are - let's face it - pretty self-centered, and want their own success before yours. People you think of as "friends" may drop you faster than you can blink when something else comes up that's of greater benefit to them.

This happened to me last year. I was at the stage where I was actually looking to book flights and hotels to go to London, England to meet with producers regarding my feature film project, and suddenly my contact just disappeared off the face of the earth. I never heard from him again, and it's only recently that I've discovered a new project fell in his lap, and he took that.

Again, it wasn't anything personal. It's not because he didn't like me or some crap - my movie was a little, low-budget film that'd probably play at a couple of festivals and disappear into obscurity, whereas the film he's working on now is an epic starring some pretty big names.

There are definitely other people on here who can give you better and more in-depth advice, but this is some of what I know according to my limited experiences.

BIOspasm
08-07-2008, 08:34 PM
My advice is: get a camera and some editing software, and then put together a film. Doesn't matter if it sucks. It's like writing, or painting, or anything else. You get better with practice.

What type of camera would be good to start with? And what type of film? Considering I have no resources for a crew or actors I'm guessing a documentary of sorts would be best?

BIOspasm
08-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Megladon, what is the feature film you refer to about? And do you still have plans to get it made?

megladon8
08-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Megladon, what is the feature film you refer to about?

Err...which one? Mine? Or the one that the dude ended up making instead?

BIOspasm
08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Err...which one? Mine? Or the one that the dude ended up making instead?

The one you were/are planning on making.

megladon8
08-07-2008, 08:37 PM
The one you were/are planning on making.

It's called "Awake". Loosely based on my experiences taking anti-depression medications.

BIOspasm
08-07-2008, 08:41 PM
It's called "Awake". Loosely based on my experiences taking anti-depression medications.

Hm, sounds interesting.

Duncan
08-07-2008, 08:46 PM
What type of camera would be good to start with? And what type of film? Considering I have no resources for a crew or actors I'm guessing a documentary of sorts would be best?

Some DV or HD camera. You'd have to do some research, or just borrow someone else's. I indefinitely borrowed my Dad's DV camera and pirated some good editing software. It's working out for me, but at this point I'm not really interested in following meg's path. I've already started a career elsewhere. I'm just messing around, with tempting ideas of an MFA from NYU or Columbia in the back of my mind.

You can make whatever kind of film you want to make and have the resources to. That probably means a few non-actor friends performing a script, a documentary, or something experimental.

BIOspasm
08-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Some DV or HD camera. You'd have to do some research, or just borrow someone else's. I indefinitely borrowed my Dad's DV camera and pirated some good editing software. It's working out for me, but at this point I'm not really interested in following meg's path. I've already started a career elsewhere. I'm just messing around, with tempting ideas of an MFA from NYU or Columbia in the back of my mind.

You can make whatever kind of film you want to make and have the resources to. That probably means a few non-actor friends performing a script, a documentary, or something experimental.

Yeah experimental stuff is mostly what I'm interested in doing, to start off anyway. Where did you pirate the editing software? Torrents? If it is still available (from wherever you got it) you could pm me the link. :)

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who would be interested in a little amateur film so I am kind of on my own.

Ezee E
08-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah experimental stuff is mostly what I'm interested in doing, to start off anyway. Where did you pirate the editing software? Torrents? If it is still available (from wherever you got it) you could pm me the link. :)

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who would be interested in a little amateur film so I am kind of on my own.
craigslist. go to local universities and post auditions in the theater areas. People will be in your film if you are expressing a vision, and something that they could have on a reel to show others. Many will do it for free.

There is free editing software. I don't know what PCs use, but it may already be on your computer.

Sycophant
08-08-2008, 05:44 AM
I haven't been totally following along. How long have you been working on this thing? And what's its running time going to be?Been developing the story since 2004. Started writing the script in 2005. Started a mostly ground-up rewrite in January. Pretty much finished the script in March. Preproduction began in earnest in April. Production began July 14th. I expect the final cut will be around 85 minutes.

I just started an experimental adaptation of Goethe's Faust. It's coming along. It'll only end up being about 3 minutes though. Pretty good for a poem of epic length.Color me curious. Keeup us posted on what happens with this.

origami_mustache
08-09-2008, 01:36 PM
video I helped a friend with...she called it her thesis even though she combined online videos with footage she shot on a handicam and edited in 4 hours...anyways I like it, although I am in it way too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aeRjYisAvU

Sycophant
08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Principal photography wrapped on my feature yesterday. Feels awesome. Back to work now. Post-production looms large.

BIOspasm
08-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Principal photography wrapped on my feature yesterday. Feels awesome. Back to work now. Post-production looms large.

Awesome. Are you going to try to get it into any festivals?

Sycophant
08-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Awesome. Are you going to try to get it into any festivals?That's the idea. Our post-production cycle should be finishing up right around the time that a lot of major festivals (particularly Utah local ones like Sundance and Slamdance) have their deadlines. We'll be trying to get into whatever might conceivably take us.

BIOspasm
08-13-2008, 02:25 AM
That's the idea. Our post-production cycle should be finishing up right around the time that a lot of major festivals (particularly Utah local ones like Sundance and Slamdance) have their deadlines. We'll be trying to get into whatever might conceivably take us.

Cool. Hope you get into Sundance, that'd be sweet.

origami_mustache
08-18-2008, 05:58 AM
I suppose you could call this the demo version of a skit we made about a confused beat poet/rapper/motivational speaker/skat musician. This was basically just my first rough cut where I threw in everything I found funny, although transitioning between lines was difficult as none of it tied together at all, but it's supposed to make little sense haha. We plan on reshooting on a better camera, most likely with more variety and cut aways and making the lyrics into a coherent song that will last about 1:30 as opposed to the cut together improv sequences that last about 3:30 as of now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL8kyh4DzPU

Sycophant
09-20-2008, 03:50 AM
I have to turn my rough cut in to Sundance on Monday and I can't write a synopsis for shit!

Ezee E
09-20-2008, 04:04 AM
I have to turn my rough cut in to Sundance on Monday and I can't write a synopsis for shit!
Show it to someone without any attachment. They do a pretty good job.

Spaceman Spiff
10-30-2008, 03:04 AM
Awesome thread. I was just about to ask if there were any other filmmakers around.

Where are you guys based anyways? I'm a sound engineer/mixer for Rogers TV here in Toronto/full time student, but I'm also really into directing and editing, and I'm hoping to make a serial (a Hitchcockian stoner odyssey, to be precise) as early as next spring. It'll be my first big production (in terms of size, not money). If anyone is interested and in Toronto, give me a shout. I'm bound to need a talented crew of some sort.

Qrazy
02-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Having some massive transfer issues. I shot some footage on a digital Hi-8 and now I'm trying to bring it into final cut pro. The footage looks fine on the viewer window of the camera but it's much darker, slightly brownish/yellow on the viewer in final cut and when I capture it captures it like that. The framerate seems worse too. Is there anything I can do?

Ezee E
02-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Having some massive transfer issues. I shot some footage on a digital Hi-8 and now I'm trying to bring it into final cut pro. The footage looks fine on the viewer window of the camera but it's much darker, slightly brownish/yellow on the viewer in final cut and when I capture it captures it like that. The framerate seems worse too. Is there anything I can do?
There can be a ton of things. Try the support part of apple.com, and go to Final Cut Pro. Under search, type Hi-8 and it'll list a ton of questions people have had in the past. I'll bet someone has had the same as yours.

That's the best support site I've used.

Qrazy
02-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the advice but I think my search skills are lacking because I couldn't find anything. The same thing happened to another miniDV camera I'm using but much less so, the darkening... lower rez... yellow/brown thing is worst with hi8... also I imported some footage shot on someone else's HDcamera (although it was a miniDV tape) and it looked much, much clearer and nicer. I'm thinking the problem might be a tape/camera issue and not a setting in the program. I can't be sure though. Anyone have any more thoughts? I have a deadline to edit this stuff thursday so I have to upload basically tomorrow even in the lower rez.

Ivan Drago
03-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Finished production of my super 8 movie for my Film Production 1 class today. w00t!

Dead & Messed Up
03-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Finished production of my super 8 movie for my Film Production 1 class today. w00t!

Congrats, Ivan! I loved shooting on film in college. Tough as fuck, but I loved it. Did you edit on a flatbed or tape it?

Ivan Drago
03-16-2009, 01:40 AM
Congrats, Ivan! I loved shooting on film in college. Tough as fuck, but I loved it. Did you edit on a flatbed or tape it?

I taped it on film stock. Now I'm praying that the processing lab I mail it to processes it well...

Ivan Drago
04-02-2009, 07:35 PM
While editing my film I've found a companion that I love enough to spend the rest of my life with: Final Cut Pro.

Sycophant
04-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I would love FC Pro so much more if it was more tolerant of non-Quicktime formats.

Qrazy
05-27-2009, 02:18 AM
Are all filmmakers twats? I've had a friend and a family member (cousin) both fuck me on making films in the past few years. Essentially I've helped them for free either with lighting/script edits/etc and they've consistently not given me credits on the finished project or more generally just aren't appreciative of all the work I've put in. Anyway, fuck 'em. I've already had paid filmwork (albeit independent documentary) and I don't need to continue working on student (or post-grad) films as a PA for nothing. Still it depresses me because a) I'd like to really get some projects going with these guys (or did) with some mutual creation and b) I just want to be working on some films.

/end rant

Dead & Messed Up
05-27-2009, 02:29 AM
Are all filmmakers twats? I've had a friend and a family member (cousin) both fuck me on making films in the past few years. Essentially I've helped them for free either with lighting/script edits/etc and they've consistently not given me credits on the finished project or more generally just aren't appreciative of all the work I've put in. Anyway, fuck 'em. I've already had paid filmwork (albeit independent documentary) and I don't need to continue working on student (or post-grad) films as a PA for nothing. Still it depresses me because a) I'd like to really get some projects going with these guys (or did) with some mutual creation and b) I just want to be working on some films.

/end rant

Not all filmmakers are twats. Just a healthy amount. A lot of them are simply afraid to admit to a mistake. The producer I'm working for, I pretty much had threaten resignation for him to admit that "it's all a dream" is a bad way to end a story.

I think it's because the confidence required to put together a significant project...can often be egotism in disguise.

Sycophant
05-27-2009, 02:33 AM
Why the fuck would they be stingy with credits? Hell, I like to make it look like as many people as possible work on a project so it doesn't look like three bored dudes and a camera. So people who even only kind of sort of helped/were around get credit. And I am (or at least try to be) verbally very appreciative of anyone who shows up on set or reads a draft.

I mean, I'm kind of a twat otherwise, but when it comes to people who take time to help me out for nothin', I've got nothing but appreciation.

Qrazy
05-27-2009, 02:58 AM
Why the fuck would they be stingy with credits? Hell, I like to make it look like as many people as possible work on a project so it doesn't look like three bored dudes and a camera. So people who even only kind of sort of helped/were around get credit. And I am (or at least try to be) verbally very appreciative of anyone who shows up on set or reads a draft.

I mean, I'm kind of a twat otherwise, but when it comes to people who take time to help me out for nothin', I've got nothing but appreciation.

Yeah, exactly. This is what has irked me. If I were being paid they could shit on me all they want (although I'd of course prefer they didn't). I hope when I finally get my own projections going (aside from the stuff I already do... short documentary/essay stuff which I can do alone and band PR videos) I'm not a total douchebag.

Qrazy
05-27-2009, 02:59 AM
I think it's because the confidence required to put together a significant project...can often be egotism in disguise.

Yes, I think you are right.

Philosophe_rouge
05-27-2009, 03:05 AM
I've had stingy credit issues before. It seems so silly, but it's actually super frustrating. I worked as a co-director on a film, but the person I was working with, was a control freak and would always work on the project when I wasn't around (she had a mac, we were working final cut pro, not much I can do unless I was going to live with her). In the end, she listed herself as the only director, I confronted her, and she backed down. Though I do know she burned a few copies for "distribution" with only her name, as one of the copies she gave me only had her name in the credits :/

Ezee E
05-27-2009, 05:25 AM
I can see someone being reduced on credits, but not cutting them out. That makes no sense at all.

origami_mustache
05-27-2009, 04:34 PM
This industry is pretty disgusting, especially the independent garbage...my friends have been promised pay and stiffed many times.

Sycophant
06-16-2009, 06:16 PM
I mentioned in the FDT last Thursday that I was going to be doing this, but Legends of Minigolf: the Flamingo's Challenge is effectively done! HELL YES. Final sound decisions and minor video edits were achieved on Sunday. Over the next couple days, the masters are going to be rendered and backed up and it is finito. Clocked in at like 82 minutes (first rough cuts ran a bit over 90). Have a bitchin' original score a friend put together for me. It's a weird film, but I'm happy with where it ended up.

Hoping to get it into a festival some time by the end of the year. I'll update y'all with when that happens. Probably ought to update the film's website one of these days, too.

It was a hella challenging and sometimes very frustrating experience, but so ultimately worth it. More than anything else, at this point, I'm hoping it serves to help bolster the nascent careers of some of the cast and crew that worked on it with me last summer. I worked with a fabulous cast and an all-around very talented group of people.

Production began on the thing back in July last year, so I'm very, very happy to be able to move on, perhaps to something else, or perhaps to just chillaxing for a bit.

I'm just babbling now.

D_Davis
06-16-2009, 10:08 PM
That's awesome man.

Congrats.

Can't wait to see it and hear the music.

Does your musician-friend have any of his stuff online anywhere?

Sycophant
06-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah, he's got a showcase website up at Keysick.com (http://www.keysick.com/), which is aimed at getting him scoring work for indie video games (he and I have collaborated on games before).

This is his credits page (http://www.bombdotcom.net/wilwhitlark.html) for the short films he's scored for our amateur film "company," including some that I've directed.

BuffaloWilder
06-16-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm primarily a writer - I posted up one of my shorter drafts up a while back in "The Writer's Thread," so you should be able to find that pretty easily, if you're interested.

Right now, I'm working with a guy down in Allen that I'd met a while back - writing a couple of five or ten minute shorts for him to experiment with. I'm kind of interested in trying to do something completely without dialog, so one of them is purely a 'two cars on a road' type of thing.

Rubberbullet is featured prominently.

D_Davis
06-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah, he's got a showcase website up at Keysick.com (http://www.keysick.com/), which is aimed at getting him scoring work for indie video games (he and I have collaborated on games before).

Cool. I dig a few of his tunes.

It reminds me a lot of the music heard in The Sims games.

Qrazy
06-30-2009, 09:23 PM
So I need to buy a relatively decent but inexpensive (for the product) HD camera... preferably broadcast quality. Can anyone give me some suggestions or stats? I know so little about hardware.

Sycophant
06-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Inexpensive HD--if you're good with HDV--would probably be the Canon HV30. Can be had for under $1,000. Shoots 1080i HDV (tape format recorded to MiniDV--same format I shot my feature in) as well as good SD performance. Lot of options for framerate and such.

Qrazy
06-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Inexpensive HD--if you're good with HDV--would probably be the Canon HV30. Can be had for under $1,000. Shoots 1080i HDV (tape format recorded to MiniDV--same format I shot my feature in) as well as good SD performance. Lot of options for framerate and such.

Is it Broadcast Quality? That sounds like a good bet but do you know some more options, perhaps more expensive but better res etc.

Also how's the camera mic. Should I get a boom mic? Record elsewhere or with a better mic record to the camera?

The project is an on going documentary type deal. I'm pretty much the sole camera operator but I need good image quality and sound. So I need a set up that I can handle alone. If I have to lug around separate audio with the camera it will be too much hassle... but if I can just tape a decent mic to the top of the camera that would be ideal (if the camera mic is poor).

Dead & Messed Up
06-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Is it Broadcast Quality? That sounds like a good bet but do you know some more options, perhaps more expensive but better res etc.

Also how's the camera mic. Should I get a boom mic? Record elsewhere or with a better mic record to the camera?

The project is an on going documentary type deal. I'm pretty much the sole camera operator but I need good image quality and sound. So I need a set up that I can handle alone. If I have to lug around separate audio with the camera it will be too much hassle... but if I can just tape a decent mic to the top of the camera that would be ideal (if the camera mic is poor).

I bought this camera recently, and it's quality. Make sure that your computer is up to outputting HD video - that was my fatal flaw. But it shoots widescreen SD.

The camera mic is solid. I got a little fuzz, but I was able to equalize a good amount of it in post. But boom mikes are almost always worth your time.

I was able to get the camera for $600 on Amazon.

Sycophant
06-30-2009, 10:41 PM
From everything I've heard from peeps who do this for a living, the Panasonic HVX200 is a pretty great standard for broadcast quality HD on a budget. Uses DVC Pro HD tapes or special memory cards. Got my hands on one once; it was beautiful.

Significantly more expensive though. About $5,500 USD. Media costs are pretty high too.

Spun Lepton
06-30-2009, 11:51 PM
If I wanted to learn how to properly "direct" a flick, but I don't have the money for classes at the local college or university ... are there any books or self-learning materials you folks would recommend? Aside from watching tons of movies, I mean... :)

Qrazy
07-01-2009, 04:19 AM
From everything I've heard from peeps who do this for a living, the Panasonic HVX200 is a pretty great standard for broadcast quality HD on a budget. Uses DVC Pro HD tapes or special memory cards. Got my hands on one once; it was beautiful.

Significantly more expensive though. About $5,500 USD. Media costs are pretty high too.

What do you mean by media costs?

Sycophant
07-01-2009, 04:23 AM
What do you mean by media costs?

The cost of what you'll record to. MiniDV/HDV tapes are cheap. DVC Pro HD tapes are not so much. And P2 cards are like $1,000 for 15 gigs (though for that you'd probably grab a hard drive to download to, swap cards, and on and on on location).

Dead & Messed Up
07-01-2009, 05:29 AM
If I wanted to learn how to properly "direct" a flick, but I don't have the money for classes at the local college or university ... are there any books or self-learning materials you folks would recommend? Aside from watching tons of movies, I mean... :)

Sidney Lumet's Making Movies and Richard Bare's The Film Director are good, but the best way is to script and shoot a one- or two-minute project.

Spun Lepton
07-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Sidney Lumet's Making Movies and Richard Bare's The Film Director are good, but the best way is to script and shoot a one- or two-minute project.

Do those PWNED episodes count? :P

Spun Lepton
07-04-2009, 12:45 AM
I just ordered those books, DaMU. Thanks!

Dead & Messed Up
07-04-2009, 05:53 AM
I just ordered those books, DaMU. Thanks!

:pritch:

Qrazy
08-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Bit of a problem. I have been editing a video in Final Cut Pro. The video was shot on a number of different aspect ratios unfortunately (different people shot it) and I now need to fix this in the editing stage. I did not fix it during the import. I'm perfectly willing to crop the image (less so to improperly inflate). Does anyone know how to do this? I started by doing this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1958

But the widescreen imagery still seems to have black bars on the top and bottom.

I also have no problem going through and readjusting individual images.

Sycophant
08-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't know if you have to go through and alter each instance on the timeline, or if you can just do it to the master clip, but somewhere in the clip properties tab, there is an option that lets you maniuplate the size and position of the clip. I think that option is called "scale" and you use it with the wireframe thingy on?

It's been over a year since I've worked really hands-on with Final Cut Pro, so someone might be able to describe this better for you.

Qrazy
08-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't know if you have to go through and alter each instance on the timeline, or if you can just do it to the master clip, but somewhere in the clip properties tab, there is an option that lets you maniuplate the size and position of the clip. I think that option is called "scale" and you use it with the wireframe thingy on?

It's been over a year since I've worked really hands-on with Final Cut Pro, so someone might be able to describe this better for you.

Cool I'll try it later today or tomorrow, thanks. What did you edit your film on and how's processing coming? Are you nearing distribution?

Sycophant
08-04-2009, 06:16 PM
What did you edit your film on and how's processing coming? Are you nearing distribution?

It's all done. Master DVDs and other renders are finished. We shot on HDV and cut on Final Cut Pro. It is currently being rejected by festivals nationwide!

Ezee E
08-04-2009, 07:10 PM
It's all done. Master DVDs and other renders are finished. We shot on HDV and cut on Final Cut Pro. It is currently being rejected by festivals nationwide!
Concentrate on state ones if you can. They love priding off their own state's work, and there's plenty of them in each state.

You know it's bad when you see "Estes Park Film Festival" "Durango Film Festival"

but then, when you submit to a larger film festival showing that it was in 8 Film Festivals. Well, they seem to look at it with a larger appeal already.

Sycophant
08-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the tips, E!

One problem we're having is that we're in Utah, which means that practically every festival either a) happens at the time of Sundance and is somewhat presitigious, or b) is family values/religion-oriented, whcih doesn't fit our project. There was actually a Salt Lake City Film Festival that just started up this year, but they only let in 4 narrative features.

So we're gonna be submitting to adjacent states' film festivals primarily, I think, hoping we get pseudo-local cred. Colorado, here we come!

Ezee E
08-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Plenty of Colorado ones. Don't bother with Telluride unless you're famous. Denver International is probably a reach for a feature. Moondance, Boulder, Crested Butte, Vail are all within reach.

Spun Lepton
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the tips, E!

One problem we're having is that we're in Utah, which means that practically every festival either a) happens at the time of Sundance and is somewhat presitigious, or b) is family values/religion-oriented, whcih doesn't fit our project. There was actually a Salt Lake City Film Festival that just started up this year, but they only let in 4 narrative features.

So we're gonna be submitting to adjacent states' film festivals primarily, I think, hoping we get pseudo-local cred. Colorado, here we come!

What about Slamdance? Doesn't that happen is SLC around the same time as Sundance?

Sycophant
08-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Indeed, it does, along with about four other festivals, have of which have rejected our rough cut. Will probably try it again for the next fest with our final cut, if nothin' else is crackin'.

Spun Lepton
08-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Indeed, it does, along with about four other festivals, have of which have rejected our rough cut. Will probably try it again for the next fest with our final cut, if nothin' else is crackin'.

Don't give up!!

Ezee E
08-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Is there a preview that we can see syc?

Skitch
08-05-2009, 02:00 AM

Robert Rodriguez's Rebel Without A Crew. Like the guy or hate him, it's got a lot of good info for filming on the cheap and learning.

BuffaloWilder
08-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Watch movies. Watch them closely. You probably do this already, but really get down and dirty with them.

Spun Lepton
08-05-2009, 02:30 AM
Watch movies. Watch them closely. You probably do this already, but really get down and dirty with them.

I made sexytime with the Watchmen Blu-ray the other day. Does that count?

BuffaloWilder
08-05-2009, 02:33 AM
I made sexytime with the Watchmen Blu-ray the other day. Does that count?

If it were a different film, it would.

:|

D_Davis
08-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Filmmakers/videographers:

I'm looking for video snippets. Weird, quirky, mundane, textural things you've filmed that you maybe haven't done anything with. Short, < 5 minutes.

If you all have anything like this, I'd like to invite you to collaborate with me on a project.

I'm currently working on an album called The Moods 1-15. Each Mood is a short composition, <4 minutes in length. I'd like to do a video for each Mood, and release them when the project is finished - sometime late October is the target date. I'd like to be able to offer up a DVD as a download.

If it matters to you, I've got some netlabel interest for this. There will be no money involved. Everything will be released under a Creative Commons license.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in doing, please let me know.

Thanks.

D_Davis
08-19-2009, 02:32 AM
I just bought a little Handycam, so I can shoot my own music videos.

Never done any video work before. Looking forward to the new experience.

I got a few people from Twitter and Facebook, along with a couple guys in the local film scene here in Seattle, to contribute to the above-mentioned project. There is still room for more, so if you're interested, let me know. It's (could be) a great way to pad your real and get some exposure at the same time.

D_Davis
08-19-2009, 07:00 PM
So I got the little Panasonic SDR-S26. It's just a standard def, flash-memory camcorder. It's pretty cool. It's got a 70x optical zoom that totally rocks. I just shot some test footage from the 54 floor of the office where I work, and I was able to zoom all the down to the street about 4 blocks away, and make out the faces of people on the street. The image stabilizer works pretty well, too.

The image quality is OK - nothing great, but it'll work perfect for what I want to do. I've watched some footage on Youtube, and I like what I've seen.

I'm going to be editing on a PC. I want to do simple loops, cutting, layering, and adding sound. Does anyone know of any freeware editing software?

D_Davis
08-20-2009, 09:56 PM
I was experimenting with my little camera today at lunch, and was surprised to find that it has a really nice depth of field when I set it to manual focus. I was filming some shrubbery, and I was able to change the focus on some about a few inches from the camera to some about ~30 feet from the camera. I also filmed an ant on a leaf so far away from me that I couldn't see it except on the view screen.

So far this camera is impressive. And it's so tiny. It fits in the front pocket of my Dickies.

Yesterday, as a good pixel test, I filmed running, splashing water in stair-shaped fountain. I then watched the footage on my 19" monitor. I didn't notice any pixels when I paused it. The camera seemed to pick up the constant movement of the water really well.

I can't wait to start editing. This is turning into something really exciting. I think I may have created a monster. But hey, in a few months I can add "video editor" to my fake resume, along with "recording artist."

:)

Sycophant
08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
I just read up a bit on that camera. Nice! 70x optical zoom? That's incredible.

Pretty cheap, too!

Only thing keeping me from impulse-buying this is that it's SDHC media. For some reason, I don't trust non-tape media yet.

BuffaloWilder
08-20-2009, 10:01 PM
I was looking over that camera just recently. I may try and pick one up, sooner or later.

Sycophant
08-20-2009, 10:09 PM
By the way, good luck, D. Sounds fun. I've always wanted to try my hand at a real music video.

D_Davis
08-20-2009, 10:13 PM
By the way, good luck, D. Sounds fun. I've always wanted to try my hand at a real music video.

Thanks. And hey, you can always contribute something to The Moods 1-15.

Still need more.

D_Davis
08-20-2009, 10:16 PM
I just read up a bit on that camera. Nice! 70x optical zoom? That's incredible.

Pretty cheap, too!

Only thing keeping me from impulse-buying this is that it's SDHC media. For some reason, I don't trust non-tape media yet.

I was looking over that camera just recently. I may try and pick one up, sooner or later.

I have no reference point at all to compare it to anything, so my opinion could be totally out of left field. However, it seems to be a pretty good little camera for the money.

I may, however, soon wish that I would have spend an extra ~$200 for something HD. But I don't know. We'll see how something looks once it is edited with all the audio and stuff.

Sycophant
08-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I've been terribly happy with my Panasonic camcorders in the past. My GS-120 MiniDV has been a great camera.

D_Davis
08-20-2009, 10:25 PM
I've been terribly happy with my Panasonic camcorders in the past. My GS-120 MiniDV has been a great camera.

Good to know. It was between this, and a similar in spec and price JVC. Although that only had a 30x optical zoom, and only had a digital optical stabilizer.

I don't think I've ever owned anything by Panasonic before. Was not sure of the build quality.

I was going to get a Sony MiniDV, but apparently MiniDV is on its way out - the last models are the last models they're making. I was afraid that the media might be hard to come by soon.

Sycophant
08-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Yeah, tapes seem to be going out altogether. HDV--which records to MiniDV tapes--didn't really catch on, even though it's a very affordable way to HD.

I have two Panasonic MiniDVs, one I've had for 5 years, one I've had for 4. They've both been through quite a bit and they've held up to quite a bit of abuse.

Hell, I have a 1987 Panasonic VHS camcorder that still works great. Love Panasonic.

D_Davis
08-20-2009, 10:48 PM
That's great to hear.

I got an 8gb SD card for under $30. Hold about 1.5 hours of footage at the best resolution.

The battery life on the camera sucks though - only about 1 hour.

Gonna have to get another batter, probably.

It makes sense though. These cameras are really little hand-held computers.

Qrazy
08-20-2009, 10:50 PM
OK I have 4-6 thousand to spend on a camera with my company. I know we've talked about it in the past but does anyone know any good sites with a lot of info... compare/contrast kind of stuff with different cameras?

D_Davis
08-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Let me ask you this:

What's the point of shooting on HD if you don't have a Blu-ray burner to master it on to?

I mean, how would I watch something shot in HD on my HD TV? I would need the camera to be plugged in, right?

How would other people watch the HD footage? Just on their computers?

I really know next to nothing about video production.

Spun Lepton
09-11-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm going to start taking film production classes at the local .org, IFP Minnesota. Once becoming a member, I'll have access to rent film, lighting, and sound equipment at a discounted rate. Hopefully it will also help me make some local connections.

Spaceman Spiff
11-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Picked up a Panasonic AG-DVC30 the other day. Anyone use this camera before? Doesn't mimic 24fps, but what the hey. If I play my card right I might also get a 16mm Soviet(?) camera one of these months.

BuffaloWilder
11-25-2009, 11:59 PM
I was thinking about finally trying to get that short-film I'd written a while back in some form of production, and I was thinking -

What would be the cheapest way to film the burning body of a car from about a mile off? I was thinking about going and raiding, say, a junkyard and seeing how much it would cost to buy basically just the bare skeleton. This, or CG - but, the latter probably wouldn't look as good, I imagine.

Spaceman Spiff
11-26-2009, 02:14 AM
I was thinking about finally trying to get that short-film I'd written a while back in some form of production, and I was thinking -

What would be the cheapest way to film the burning body of a car from about a mile off? I was thinking about going and raiding, say, a junkyard and seeing how much it would cost to buy basically just the bare skeleton. This, or CG - but, the latter probably wouldn't look as good, I imagine.

Get somebody who is good (i mean real good) at drawing to make you a backdrop, then burn a Hot Wheels car.

Spun Lepton
11-26-2009, 03:18 AM
I just storyboarded a new (and final) Pwned! episode that bac0n and Scar and I will be doing soon. My writing hand hurts like a mother.

I storyboard like Sam Raimi does, apparently. Stick-figure theater!

Spaceman Spiff
11-26-2009, 04:42 AM
I just storyboarded a new (and final) Pwned! episode that bac0n and Scar and I will be doing soon. My writing hand hurts like a mother.

I storyboard like Sam Raimi does, apparently. Stick-figure theater!

Go with what works. I almost never storyboard unless the shot is particularly complicated (I've toyed with a few tracking shots) or I want to play around with lights (a rare privilege).

Spun Lepton
12-19-2009, 03:24 AM
I discovered that the guy who lives right next door to me in my apartment building is writing a horror movie that he also wants to direct. Learned it through a friend-of-a-friend, who said I should email the dude. Done and done!

Also, today I went to a disabled co-worker of mine and asked him if he had any old wheelchairs gathering dust that he was looking to get rid of or sell for cheap. I was nervous about asking a rather unorthodox question, but this is a man who has ribbed people for being uncomfortable about his disability. He said he didn't have any, but he would ask around. Cool guy.

Qrazy
01-09-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm thinking about buying the Canon XH A1S HDV but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have interchangeable lenses. I feel like this is fairly important. Anyone?

Spaceman Spiff
01-09-2010, 03:54 AM
I'm thinking about buying the Canon XH A1S HDV but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have interchangeable lenses. I feel like this is fairly important. Anyone?

Well do you want to be able to change lenses? More importantly, do you have the dosh to buy extra lenses?

Qrazy
01-09-2010, 04:42 AM
Well do you want to be able to change lenses? More importantly, do you have the dosh to buy extra lenses?

I can spend roughly 5,000 on all that I'll need. I think the canon is about 4,000. The thing is I've mostly worked with cameras where I haven't been able to change lenses but I'd certainly like to be able to. It strikes me as fairly necessary. I mean there are almost no filmmakers (excluding maybe Bresson) who would shoot an entire film with a single lens.

I'm not finding many high quality cameras for 4,000 or so where you can change lenses though. Do you know of any?

Qrazy
02-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Does anyone know how to fix motion blur in a created DVD? The .mov file I made the file from was fine, very little blur. However as soon as I make it into a DVD in Toast everytime there's motion it gets very blurry. I tried upping the bit rate and that didn't do anything. Anyone?

Grouchy
02-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Does anyone know how to fix motion blur in a created DVD? The .mov file I made the file from was fine, very little blur. However as soon as I make it into a DVD in Toast everytime there's motion it gets very blurry. I tried upping the bit rate and that didn't do anything. Anyone?
This happened with some DVDs I burned, and it changed depending on the TV set. It practically disappeared if I played it on my PC. I'd like to know if there's a way to fix it from the editing program.

Qrazy
03-15-2010, 03:11 AM
So I'm getting a new computer. And while I'd really prefer a laptop I'm trying to figure out what kind of power I'm going to need to edit HD video. I don't have an HD camera yet but I'm planning for the future. I already know the system requirements for Final Cut Studio but to edit HD content effectively does anyone know what the system specs ought to be?

Spaceman Spiff
03-15-2010, 03:13 AM
So I'm getting a new computer. And while I'd really prefer a laptop I'm trying to figure out what kind of power I'm going to need to edit HD video. I don't have an HD camera yet but I'm planning for the future. I already know the system requirements for Final Cut Studio but to edit HD content effectively does anyone know what the system specs ought to be?

Get a lot of storage space, a high-end graphics card (dedicated, yo) and a tasty amount of RAM.

Spaceman Spiff
03-15-2010, 03:16 AM
In cooler news (sorry Qrazy, but my news is cooler), I'm getting a super 8 (Canon 814AZ) this week. I'm super busy at the moment, and I'll be working fulltime this summer, but I hope to have a Toronto travel guide by the end of the summer. I also have a few bands that have been pestering me to make a music video for them, so I might try that out if I have time (the World Cup will also suck up the rest of my time). We shall see. I've never shot super 8 before, so I'm mondo (yes, mondo) excited.

Ivan Drago
03-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Can't wait to turn in the 500T 16mm I've shot this past week. Shooting has been an absolute nightmare.

Spaceman Spiff
03-15-2010, 04:45 AM
Can't wait to turn in the 500T 16mm I've shot this past week. Shooting has been an absolute nightmare.

What stock did you use? Kodachrome? Tri-X?

Ivan Drago
03-15-2010, 05:39 AM
What stock did you use? Kodachrome? Tri-X?

Vision3 negative is all it says on the box. But it hasn't been my film that's the problem, what's been the problem is that it's been a continuity error-filled mess with my actors' parents giving me lip and criticism over how I've made it.

See, this film is for a film production class, and even though I got away with it on the film I made for my first film production class last year, not so much this year, considering I'm working with 16mm instead of Super 8 Plus-X, and with non-sync sound instead of no sound.

Qrazy
03-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Get a lot of storage space, a high-end graphics card (dedicated, yo) and a tasty amount of RAM.

Storage space is a waste of money. I'll use external harddrives for that. I'm more concerned with how fast the processor needs to be and how much working memory I need to edit HD video.

Congrats on the camera! :)

Spaceman Spiff
03-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Christ on a bike, film is EXPENSIVE.

Ivan Drago
03-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Christ on a bike, film is EXPENSIVE.

What kind did you get? When I bought 3 rolls of 500T color negative, it came out to $97 shipping included.

Spaceman Spiff
03-23-2010, 01:44 AM
What kind did you get? When I bought 3 rolls of 500T color negative, it came out to $97 shipping included.

What's a roll? 50 ft?

I just bought 50ft of Tri-X reversal (roughly 4 minutes for the laymen here) for $25.

Ezee E
03-23-2010, 03:38 AM
Unless it's a required film class, why shoot on film?

D_Davis
03-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Keeping it real.

Qrazy
03-23-2010, 05:33 PM

Because video still can't fully replicate all that film can achieve with light? Alternatively the ability to work directly with the object rather than digitize.

Ezee E
03-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Because video still can't fully replicate all that film can achieve with light? Alternatively the ability to work directly with the object rather than digitize.
With some of these accessible HD cameras that are out, I disagree. Especially because you need even more equipment to properly light a 16MM camera, unless you're going for a handheld look, in which case, you're not using the camera for the stated reasons.

As a student, or as a filmmaker with little to no budget, I see no reason to use 16MM over some of these cameras. You get more coverage, easier to light, less stress, more time. You just don't have the "keeping it real" feel that is actually a legit criticism from some people that I've worked with. One film that I worked on had to be completely scrapped in postproduction because there was not enough coverage.

Qrazy
03-23-2010, 06:17 PM
With some of these accessible HD cameras that are out, I disagree. Especially because you need even more equipment to properly light a 16MM camera, unless you're going for a handheld look, in which case, you're not using the camera for the stated reasons.

As a student, or as a filmmaker with little to no budget, I see no reason to use 16MM over some of these cameras. You get more coverage, easier to light, less stress, more time. You just don't have the "keeping it real" feel that is actually a legit criticism from some people that I've worked with. One film that I worked on had to be completely scrapped in postproduction because there was not enough coverage.

I also prefer digital, I'm just saying there are plenty of good reasons to use film. It's not one of those situations where once you choose one you have to throw the other out with the bathwater. I'm also not saying digital will never fully replicate film, I'm saying that currently it does not replicate the kind of stuff the masters were able to accomplish with light.

Ezee E
03-23-2010, 06:38 PM
I also prefer digital, I'm just saying there are plenty of good reasons to use film. It's not one of those situations where once you choose one you have to throw the other out with the bathwater. I'm also not saying digital will never fully replicate film, I'm saying that currently it does not replicate the kind of stuff the masters were able to accomplish with light.
Right, but I'm going to my reasoning that students shouldn't consider using 16MM unless they're in a class for it, doing lighting class so they know how to properly light it, or have the money to get proper coverage.

Qrazy
03-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Right, but I'm going to my reasoning that students shouldn't consider using 16MM unless they're in a class for it, doing lighting class so they know how to properly light it, or have the money to get proper coverage.

Anyone can shoot on whatever they want as long as they have the funding and know the limitations. Both film and digital have their strengths and weaknesses.

Ezee E
03-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Anyone can shoot on whatever they want as long as they have the funding and know the limitations. Both film and digital have their strengths and weaknesses.
:sigh:

Qrazy
03-23-2010, 11:07 PM
:sigh:

I'm not just going to say yes, you're right, because I don't think you are. I've worked with friends on films we've shot on 8mm and 16mm and they were good experiences and allowed us to get an image we wouldn't have been able to with any digital cameras. But I do agree with you that there are severe limitations to film such as cost and difficulties with lighting, length of take, etc. And I personally favor digital.

Spaceman Spiff
03-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Keeping it real.

This is exactly it actually.

Well done, DD!

Grouchy
04-24-2010, 07:18 AM
So any of you knew about this awesomeness (http://roguefilmschool.com/about.asp)?

DavidSeven
04-24-2010, 10:43 PM
So any of you knew about this awesomeness (http://roguefilmschool.com/about.asp)?

Could anyone but Herzog get away with this... :lol:

Related, but more practical subjects, will be the art of lockpicking. Traveling on foot. The exhilaration of being shot at unsuccessfully. The athletic side of filmmaking. The creation of your own shooting permits. The neutralization of bureaucracy. Guerrilla tactics. Self reliance.

Sycophant
04-29-2010, 07:09 PM
I've got a copy of Adobe CS4 Production Premium in my backpack and a Canon HV20 HDV camcorder from eBay on its way to me. Can't wait to install CS4 and play with it all weekend. I may be shooting a documentary this summer and will be shooting an ultra-low budget feature-length fantasy film with some friends for shits and giggles. I'm not really pursuing a filmmaking career anymore, but I'm pretty excited about all this stuff.

D_Davis
04-29-2010, 07:16 PM
If you're like me at all, your creativity will flourish and you will be much happier in general the moment after you decided not to pursue film (or in my case music) as a career.

Sycophant
04-29-2010, 07:20 PM
This may well happen. May not be entirely in film (as I'm looking at some new comics work as well), but I think yeah.

I gotta say, I enjoyed shooting goofy no-budget films with friends in a weekend and then staying up all night editing them to upload them to some silly online film competition we never won a lot more than I've enjoyed trying to convince people to watch or accept to festivals my indie feature film the past year or so.

Spun Lepton
05-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Quick question that may not have a simple answer, but I thought I'd pose it.

Is there some kind of system or trick for making sure eyelines are correct?

Spun Lepton
07-07-2010, 10:52 PM
I've been asked to be a still/promo photographer for a local short horror movie shooting next month. w00t! Now, I just need a camera. :lol:

Anybody have any suggestions for a reasonably-priced digital camera with a nice DPI?

Spaceman Spiff
07-07-2010, 11:12 PM
I've been asked to be a still/promo photographer for a local short horror movie shooting next month. w00t! Now, I just need a camera. :lol:

Anybody have any suggestions for a reasonably-priced digital camera with a nice DPI?

If you don't know what you want, and you're only making a short, and don't have the lighting/post-prod skills to make it look like top-class cinema anyways, then I'd just rent whatever your local uni has in store. Cameras are major investments, imo.

Spun Lepton
07-08-2010, 12:09 AM
If you don't know what you want, and you're only making a short, and don't have the lighting/post-prod skills to make it look like top-class cinema anyways, then I'd just rent whatever your local uni has in store. Cameras are major investments, imo.

I'm a little confused by your reply, since I said I wasn't shooting the film itself. I was asked to take PROMO STILLS of the actors between takes. There is already a full production crew involved, including a DP.

Your quick-to-judge "oh, it's not going to look professional anyway" attitude is pretty unwelcome, and I can't tell if you're purposely trying to be a prick, or if it's natural, but thanks for nothing, anyway.

Ezee E
07-08-2010, 01:10 AM
He has a point, and he isn't being a prick. You could probably rent a camera for just the production time, unless it's something you know you'll be getting your money's worth for afterwards.

Spaceman Spiff
07-08-2010, 01:19 AM
I'm a little confused by your reply, since I said I wasn't shooting the film itself. I was asked to take PROMO STILLS of the actors between takes. There is already a full production crew involved, including a DP.

Your quick-to-judge "oh, it's not going to look professional anyway" attitude is pretty unwelcome, and I can't tell if you're purposely trying to be a prick, or if it's natural, but thanks for nothing, anyway.

My mistake, didn't read the post carefully and thought you were looking for a video camera. My 'quick to judge' attitude is spot on adivce though. I didn't mean to sound like a prick, I just honestly think you should do your research before you ask about what camera you buy - and since you're an indie filmmaker like the rest of us, chances are you're no David Fincher and you'll probably get similar results from whatever cheapo handheld as you would with an AGDVX100A. In the future don't take sound, honest counsel as personal attacks.

Mysterious Dude
08-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Is it possible to make a movie for about $20,000 these days? I've done nothing film-related since 2007, and I think it might be time to just make a damn movie with the money I have.

I'd like to make a silent movie (a la Guy Maddin), set in the 1910's, about a homosexual serial killer. I'll need to rent costumes, and stuff. I think I can get some pretty good free locations, though. I do want to shoot it on film, which will be difficult and expensive, but I might save money by not using sound.

D_Davis
08-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Is it possible to make a movie for about $20,000 these days?

For sure. Primer had a budget of $7,000, and wasn't Clerks made for $10,000?

With the ease and low cost of DIY software and hardware, you could make something for under $20k.

Mysterious Dude
08-29-2010, 03:36 AM
Ah, I forgot about Primer! Maybe that should be my model.

I have been thinking of some big directors now who started with low-budget movies in the 90's (Clerks, El Mariachi, Pi, Following). It seems like we haven't had a lot of new directors lately, but I've mused about that before (http://www.match-cut.org/showthread.php?t=1829)

Sycophant
08-29-2010, 05:00 AM
I made my feature for considerably less than 20k.

Spaceman Spiff
08-29-2010, 06:08 AM
I shot a commercial for 40$.

Ezee E
08-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Is it possible to make a movie for about $20,000 these days? I've done nothing film-related since 2007, and I think it might be time to just make a damn movie with the money I have.

I'd like to make a silent movie (a la Guy Maddin), set in the 1910's, about a homosexual serial killer. I'll need to rent costumes, and stuff. I think I can get some pretty good free locations, though. I do want to shoot it on film, which will be difficult and expensive, but I might save money by not using sound.

If you have a steady shot list, you might be able to pull it off. Primer had every shot and cut planned out so that they wouldn't use an extra foot of film that they wouldn't need.

Now the costumes and stuff... Well, having that in a free location might be harder to pull off then you think.

BuffaloWilder
08-30-2010, 03:54 AM
It had better be possible - I probably won't even have a third of that when I shoot this up and coming thing in a few months. Makes me wary - especially considering that I'm going to try and include some kind of interesting stunt-work, with whatever I end up being able to work with.

I s'pose I could go the Brian Trenchard-Smith route, however - just walk into a local pub and offer $10 and a beer to whatever biker wants to throw himself around for us.

Spaceman Spiff
08-30-2010, 04:30 AM
I'm actually writing a short about an assassin who kills his client's ex-husbands so he can get into her pants. It'll be in french so I can get a bigger grant from the NFB, assuming they give me anything.

I'll probably make it in french anyways (and black and white), should I not receive a grant because it's so much cooler that way. I originally wanted it to be an 8mm silent film, but I've written a not insignificant amount of dialogue that'll make it awkward to have so many title cards. Oh wells...

I plan on saving money by renting all the lighting equipment at my university for free, and by not paying any of the cast/crew.

Mysterious Dude
02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
I watched a 10-minute movie I made when I was seventeen. It's basically a series of techniques that I thought were cool, with barely a hint of a story. I think I owe Mark Romanek some royalties.

It actually looks pretty good, but it is so boring.

Ivan Drago
02-26-2011, 10:58 PM
I made a B&W 7-minute super 8 film for $350 and a color 16mm 4-minute film for $400-500.

Ezee E
06-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Got approached to film/edit a "stream of consciousness"-ish experimental film for an AIDS Awareness ball.

THink I'm going to try it, but I've never really filmed and edited with this type of thinking. Yikes!

I might be looking for some original footage, so all you MC Filmmakers might need to help me out here!

Ezee E
06-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Anyone ever get that feeling that they just wrote the best thing that they've ever written before?

Well, this guy just had that feeling. It's all in treatment form, but I absolutely love it. It kind of formed out of nothing, ticking in my head all day, and as I put it together, it came out as I had hoped.

:pritch: