PDA

View Full Version : Supernatural

Kurosawa Fan
02-22-2012, 07:08 PM
I decided to make a thread for this show because I'm starting it up from the beginning. I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future, and while I'm working I've decided to have this going at the same time.

I'm five episodes in, and while it's heavily flawed, I'm having fun. It's a nice mix of funny and creepy. The dialogue is way too expository and the show is really oddly repetitive. It's not just the monster-of-the-week repetition, but the details within each story, such as the fake id that gets them access only to get them caught later, and the attractive female that gives Dean a kiss before the credits roll after he and Sam save the day, etc. I'm hoping this stuff works itself out as the show picks up steam. I can only assume it does considering the praise being given to the latter seasons.

number8
02-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Oh good, cause I should probably stop clogging the TV thread with my posts.

Kurosawa Fan
02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Oh good, cause I should probably stop clogging the TV thread with my posts.

Was it you that said the show is just littered with beautiful people? Because, obviously, that is spot on. Every episode has at least one ridiculously attractive actor filling a one-time role.

Also, the familiar faces have been fun. The pilot had Tyra from FNL, the second episode had the QB from Glee, and the fourth had Tess from Eureka.

Raiders
02-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Hey, me too! Just watched the pilot yesterday. I'm kinda excited. I have been meaning to watch some of this for years.

Dead & Messed Up
02-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Hah! I watched the pilot over the weekend. Those two leads have a great chemistry together, and the show carries over a lot of X-Files style thanks to producers John Shiban and Kim Manners.

number8
02-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Why, hello, fellow noobs. I'm almost halfway through Season 4. Do catch up.

number8
02-22-2012, 08:08 PM
If only so you get to see the context of this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Fz_egtEgc)

Watashi
02-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I watched this show before it was cool.

Fezzik
02-22-2012, 08:35 PM
I just added this to NetFlix instant on the recommendation of friends. I am going to start on this sometime this week, so thanks for starting the thread, KF!

Mara
02-22-2012, 11:03 PM
I watched this show before it was cool.

I watched it before that, and Amberlita watched it EVEN BEFORE THAT.

I think its sudden popularity on the boards is amusing, actually. I said in a thread a few years ago that it was secretly one of the best shows on television, and I believe I was poo-poo'd.

ledfloyd
02-23-2012, 05:46 AM
I think its sudden popularity on the boards is amusing, actually.
the power of netflix instant.

Ezee E
02-24-2012, 12:55 AM
What channel is it on ?

Kurosawa Fan
02-24-2012, 02:18 AM
What channel is it on ?

CW

Mara
02-24-2012, 02:42 AM
If only so you get to see the context of this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Fz_egtEgc)

Off the top of my head, the funniest scenes in the entire series involve an 8 foot teddy bear attempting suicide, and an alien slow-dancing with an obnoxious college kid to "Lady in Red."

I mean... that's kind of the show in a nutshell.

number8
02-24-2012, 03:24 AM
Off the top of my head, the funniest scenes in the entire series involve an 8 foot teddy bear attempting suicide, and an alien slow-dancing with an obnoxious college kid to "Lady in Red."

I mean... that's kind of the show in a nutshell.

YES. Holy shit that was hysterical. But I laughed even harder at the exchange between Dracula and the pizza delivery guy.

"Isss zere... Garlic, on ze peetza?"
"I don't know, did you order it with garlic?"
"NO."
"Look, buddy, I have three more deliveries tonight. Can you just give me the money so I can go?"
"Of course! Vut I have... a coupon."

number8
02-25-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm starting to think this show has more torture scenes than 24.

Scar
02-26-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm somewhere in Season 2 and am enjoying the Hell out of it.

I started watching it when I saw a Teefury shirt that I liked. Figured I had to start watching the show to see whether or not I should get the shirt.

http://www.teefury.com/products_large_images/1323293223_BOTTOM__12205h58m22 .jpg

MadMan
02-26-2012, 02:02 AM
Back when it first started airing on CW, I began watching the show, then lost interest. Since its available on Netflix IV I might give the show another chance. Also so I can find out why in one episode (which I saw a clip of thanks to The Soup) a guy gets killed by a unicorn. Hilarious and awesome.

number8
02-26-2012, 06:19 PM
I said in a thread a few years ago that it was secretly one of the best shows on television, and I believe I was poo-poo'd.

I'm in the middle of Season 5 now, and I'm absolutely boggled how this show has stayed so under the radar with most people. It's like a cabal of fangirls have found the fountain of youth and hid it in plain sight, like some sort of Tumblr pond.

number8
02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
"It's kinda funny talking to [spoiler] on a cell phone. Like watching a Hell's Angel ride around in a moped."
"This isn't funny, Dean! The voice tells me I'm almost out of minutes!"

:lol:

Kurosawa Fan
02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Well, this first season is really mediocre, and that might have something to do with it. It's getting kind of tiresome, because the flaws I mentioned before are sticking around, but not only that, the show's "influences" are turning into borderline plagiarism. The poltergeist episode was a pretty egregious offender, but really, it's been happening all season. The show is riding the coattails of other shows and films' successes without adding much of its own. I'm going to push on because it's easily digestible while I'm working and so many people rave about seasons 3-4-5, but I'm ready for improvement, and I can fully understand why anyone would have given up early on.

number8
02-26-2012, 07:59 PM
I think the problem with the first season is that there's not much of an arc. They just go through the episodic shit with just a general goal of "find Dad." Starting with Season 2, there's more of a piece-by-piece progression, where each episode devotes as much time solving the weekly monster as it is building the great seasonal storylines. And yeah, seasons 3-4-5 is when they got really ambitious by building one huge storyline told in 3 "acts."

Kurosawa Fan
02-26-2012, 08:02 PM
I think the problem with the first season is that there's not much of an arc. They just go through the episodic shit with just a general goal of "find Dad." Starting with Season 2, there's more of a piece-by-piece progression, where each episode devotes as much time solving the weekly monster as it is building the great seasonal storylines. And yeah, seasons 3-4-5 is when they got really ambitious by building one huge storyline told in 3 "acts."

This is also a problem. We were genuinely surprised when we hit "Home" because it actually progressed a continual storyline. The episode still failed to impress, but at least it was more than just a monster-of-the-week filler.

Kurosawa Fan
02-26-2012, 08:05 PM
My apathy for the show can best be seen in how little I'm involved in this thread. When I started on Buffy, I was posting brief thoughts on a per episode basis. With this one, I find I have nothing much to say. I can't wait for that to change.

Mara
02-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Well, this first season is really mediocre, and that might have something to do with it.

I maintain that if number8 made it through the dumb stuff in Supernatural, he could totally make it through the bad first-season-and-change of BtVS.

Not to knock Supernatural-- I totally enjoy it-- but the pay-offs are never quite as great. And it is certainly, as you mentioned, deeply influenced by both BtVS and The X-Files.

By the way, 8, you have now met my favorite character in the show, and one of my favorites of all time. "This isn't funny, Dean." He and Dean have mad chemistry, too.

Biff Justice
02-26-2012, 09:09 PM
I watched the first 3 seasons of this a couple years back, and obviously, it didn't thrill me enough to continue past that. I'm giving it another shot since it's on Netflix streaming.

It's not a bad show, not at all, but its missing some "X-factor" that makes it truly gripping for me. I think my major gripe is that, throughout what I've seen anyway, there are only two major characters and those characters never really change. Their situation does from time to time, of course, but they never really seem to develop or grow and that's the major selling point to me when investing in a long term serial show like this.

Raiders
02-27-2012, 04:38 AM
Yeah, mostly done S1 and it is indeed mediocre for the reasons KF stated. But hardly any more mediocre than the first seasons of Buffy (actually better and more consistent I'd say) or even, for the most part, X-Files. I see no reason to slow down now.

Dead & Messed Up
02-27-2012, 10:02 PM
I've gotten through the first three episodes of Season One (a slow viewer, I am), and I don't know if I'll be able to continue.

See, the show's about this pair of slightly mismatched guys who travel across the country in a beat-up car and solve mysteries in small towns and make friends briefly all while searching for a disappeared family member.

This is the plot to short-lived eighties series The Master, starring Lee Van Cleef and Timothy Van Patten. It was later riffed by the MST3K crew.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ynpXE4BgpGE/Scw29JJmC5I/AAAAAAAAJtE/dVFXaQC3Xpw/s400/322-master_ninja_1x-ad.jpg

Obviously it's just a pattern, and I should move past it, but during the past two episodes, I kept wanting to say, "Hi, I'm Max Keller" and "Hi-keeba!"

http://www.dvdverdict.com/images/reviewpics/mst3kxx02.jpg

Kurosawa Fan
02-27-2012, 11:21 PM
One of the best MST3K episodes I've ever seen.

Dead & Messed Up
02-27-2012, 11:51 PM
One of the best MST3K episodes I've ever seen.

It has one of my favorite comments from the show ever:

Master: "After the war, I lived in Japan. Something about the tranquility of it."
Joel: "The tranquility of post-war Japan?"

Scar
02-28-2012, 01:34 AM
I've gotten through the first three episodes of Season One (a slow viewer, I am), and I don't know if I'll be able to continue.

See, the show's about this pair of slightly mismatched guys who travel across the country in a beat-up car and solve mysteries in small towns and make friends briefly all while searching for a disappeared family member.

This is the plot to short-lived eighties series The Master, starring Lee Van Cleef and Timothy Van Patten. It was later riffed by the MST3K crew.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ynpXE4BgpGE/Scw29JJmC5I/AAAAAAAAJtE/dVFXaQC3Xpw/s400/322-master_ninja_1x-ad.jpg

Obviously it's just a pattern, and I should move past it, but during the past two episodes, I kept wanting to say, "Hi, I'm Max Keller" and "Hi-keeba!"

http://www.dvdverdict.com/images/reviewpics/mst3kxx02.jpg

Beat up car?

Really?

Raiders
02-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Yeah, Dean's car deserves more respect than that.

number8
02-28-2012, 02:37 AM
I don't know anything about cars, and I do not want to own one, but a '67 Impala is totally something I'd take in a heartbeat.

number8
02-28-2012, 02:39 AM
Also, something I initially found very annoying but I've warmed up to is Dean's recurring catchphrase "____ is fiction/a TV show/a movie. This is real life." I think he's said that about X-Files on like 3 separate occasions.

Dead & Messed Up
02-28-2012, 02:52 AM
Yeah, Dean's car deserves more respect than that.

I don't know anything about cars, and I do not want to own one, but a '67 Impala is totally something I'd take in a heartbeat.

Beat up car?

Really?

Their car looks old and worn. I did not mean to offend anybody. I'm not a car guy. I own a Honda Civic because that means I won't have to think about cars for five or six years.

number8
02-28-2012, 03:04 AM
Just got to the episode where Paris Hilton guest stars. This is strangely amazing.

Scar
02-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Their car looks old and worn. I did not mean to offend anybody. I'm not a car guy. I own a Honda Civic because that means I won't have to think about cars for five or six years.

No, no it doesn't. Not by a long shot. After the first season finale, sure, but its right back to being shiny and awesome in season 2.

Dead & Messed Up
02-28-2012, 07:06 PM
No, no it doesn't. Not by a long shot. After the first season finale, sure, but its right back to being shiny and awesome in season 2.

Ok. Thanks for setting me straight.

number8
02-28-2012, 07:31 PM
"Changing Channels."

Just yes.

Mara
02-28-2012, 08:54 PM
"Changing Channels."

Just yes.

Yes.

amberlita
02-28-2012, 11:44 PM
YES!

Told ya.

No matter how funny that episode is, the part that gets me most...

is the painfully provocative questions asked of the boys in the Japanese TV show. "Dean Winchester: Would your parents still be alive if your brother was never born?"

Ouch.

Oh, but...um....

I've got genital herpes.

number8
02-29-2012, 02:33 AM
He actually did! In the episode right before it!

number8
03-04-2012, 08:28 PM
I think I just saw the most disturbing death on the show. "My Bloody Valentine" episode.

Mara
03-05-2012, 03:08 PM
I've been rewatching this show during my morning work-outs and crocheting binges, and I think the first season is both better and worse than I remembered. There are strong hints of the things that make the series great, but there are also episodes like the one about the racist truck.

Seriously. That episode is so bad. For one thing, it's supposed to indicate a serious romantic attachment for Dean, but she is never mentioned again, even though he promises that they're going to work things out. Also, there's A RACIST TRUCK.

Side note: I love watching things with captions on, but my DVDs don't have English captions, so I've been watching them in French, which is surprisingly fun. It makes me reflect on the extremely informal ways our boys talk (leaving off subjects, prepositions, contracting everywhere) because the translations have a tough time with that.

Dean: Shouldn'ta botched that.

French Dean: You ought not to have failed that task.

I'm also learning some interesting rude French phrases.

Mara
03-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Also, I know several people have mentioned how attractive everyone is on this show-- and that's true-- but none of you have braved the extremely important question of the hottest Winchester.

I'll help you out. It's Dean. He's the hottest character until season 4.

TEAM CAS!

Kurosawa Fan
03-05-2012, 03:18 PM
I've been rewatching this show during my morning work-outs and crocheting binges, and I think the first season is both better and worse than I remembered. There are strong hints of the things that make the series great, but there are also episodes like the one about the racist truck.

Seriously. That episode is so bad. For one thing, it's supposed to indicate a serious romantic attachment for Dean, but she is never mentioned again, even though he promises that they're going to work things out. Also, there's A RACIST TRUCK.

:lol:

Val and I watched this one last night. TERRIBLE. Although, I think the show constantly overestimates the connections between Sam and Dean and the one-ep characters they encounter in these towns. Dean's old flame was no exception.

Mara
03-05-2012, 03:24 PM
It reminds me of "Beer Bad" in the worst ways.

"We're going to discuss an important social problem! Except we're not, really, because instead of couching it in a clever supernatural metaphor, we're going to just make it look silly, and blanket the whole thing with undeserved self-righteousness and emotional dishonesty."

number8
03-05-2012, 03:31 PM
I just finished Season 5 last night. Some stray (non-spoilery, I hope) thoughts.

- This is officially the most violent TV show I've ever watched, quota-wise. The gore is unrelenting (Kali's dinner was gross), some of it gets really disturbing even in concept (the lovers who eat each other to death during sex), and in the zombie episode, there's like 40 on-screen shotgun headshots. In one episode. Puts Walking Dead to shame, and they're on cable!

- I know you guys talk about the X-Files and Buffy influences, but this season got pretty Gaiman-y. Somebody's been reading Sandman/Lucifer/American Gods, for sure.

- It never truly got there, but some episodes really tried to snipe at BSG's throne at uncomfortable moral questions during wartime, as well as LOST's emotional arcs. I can see why Mara would call this TV's best kept secret. This is a level of depth that's absent from the first two seasons.

- "You've reached the voicemail of 'I don't understand, why would I tell you my name?'"

- "HEY, ASSBUTT!"

- So this was Eric Kripke's last season, huh? I read that he only ever meant it to be 5 seasons but CW insisted on renewing for a 6th, so he wrapped up his mythology and then bailed as a showrunner. I started the first episode of Season 6, and... it's not as compelling. Is the consensus is that it's downhill from there?

Mara
03-05-2012, 03:39 PM
- "HEY, ASSBUTT!"

Possibly one of my all-time favorite television lines. In two words, it climaxes two seasons of character development, HILARIOUSLY.

- So this was Eric Kripke's last season, huh? I read that he only ever meant it to be 5 seasons but CW insisted on renewing for a 6th, so he wrapped up his mythology and then bailed as a showrunner. I started the first episode of Season 6, and... it's not as compelling. Is the consensus is that it's downhill from there?

I got so fed up in season 6 that I stopped watching halfway through, because I was hurt and disappointed with the drop-off in quality.

I have been assured by other fans that I'm overreacting and that there's still good stuff. (Amber has said this, for one.) When I finish my run-through I'm going to try and make it all the way through season 7 if I can.

Kurosawa Fan
03-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Has this show reached its conclusion?

number8
03-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Possibly one of my all-time favorite television lines. In two words, it climaxes two seasons of character development, HILARIOUSLY.

"Did you just holy water molotoved my brother?"
"Uhh... No?"
*snap*
*KABOOM*

I shrieked so loud.

number8
03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Has this show reached its conclusion?

You mean has it ended? No, it's in the middle of S7 right now. New episodes are on Hulu.

Kurosawa Fan
03-05-2012, 03:45 PM
You mean has it ended? No, it's in the middle of S7 right now. New episodes are on Hulu.

Right, my mistake. I meant to ask if season seven is the final season. Or, have they decided on an end date?

Mara
03-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Right, my mistake. I meant to ask if season seven is the final season. Or, have they decided on an end date?

I believe it has neither been cancelled nor renewed. We'll see what happens.

number8
03-05-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm really glad I started watching this show.

number8
03-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Town to town, two-lane roads. Family biz, two hunting bros. Living the lie, just to get byyyyy. As long as we're movin' forward, there's nothing we can't do. Togeeether, we'll face the daaaay! You and I won't run awayyyy. When the demons come out tooo plaaaaayy. Togeeether, we'll face the daaay!

number8
03-05-2012, 06:07 PM
I've been singing that song for days.

Mara
03-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Town to town, two-lane roads. Family biz, two hunting bros. Living the lie, just to get byyyyy. As long as we're movin' forward, there's nothing we can't do. Togeeether, we'll face the daaaay! You and I won't run awayyyy. When the demons come out tooo plaaaaayy. Togeeether, we'll face the daaay!

It's been a year or two since I've seen this, but I could still song along in my head. Holy crap, that's catchy.

Mara
03-05-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm actually gonna post it, since it doesn't spoiler anything about that episode, and it's HYSTERICAL.

9n3SL0B5zH4

number8
03-05-2012, 07:19 PM
I was thinking about the Neil Gaiman influences I mentioned, and I realized that the whole absentee deadbeat God abandoning his throne thing is taken directly from Preacher, which reminds me that Garth Ennis' other series Hitman also had a special demon-killing rifle forged in the Old West that becomes an important plot point, called... the Ace of Winchesters. Then I read an interview with Misha Collins who said that Eric Kripke based Castiel's wardrobe on John Constantine. I guess Kripke's a pretty big comic fan, apparently. Probably should not have been surprised by that, come to think of it.

number8
03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I really want to talk about season 5, but here I'm ahead of most of you and everywhere else I'm two seasons behind.

Sigh.

amberlita
03-05-2012, 11:08 PM
I assure you there is still plenty to enjoy, but yes it goes downhill after Season 5. Some of the writing in each episode is actually a bit tighter and the dialogue a little snappier, but the lack of a clear story arc and is what hampers it the most. Just feels like there is very little purpose in the overall. The last two seasons have, however, begun to remedy my biggest beef with Seasons 3-5 which was the ever-widening emotional gap they created between Sam and Dean. That period of show-time still hurts me to watch.

Mara
03-06-2012, 01:39 PM
The last two seasons have, however, begun to remedy my biggest beef with Seasons 3-5 which was the ever-widening emotional gap they created between Sam and Dean. That period of show-time still hurts me to watch.

I'm glad to hear that. It hurts my insides when the boys fight.

Amber & I can talk about season 5, you just have to spoiler it.

number8
03-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Well, apologies beforehand for the blocks, KF/Scar/DaMU, etc...

I find it interesting that this season features two time-travel episodes, and they are both very good. The future episode is one of those devices that a lot of genre shows like to use but are often bad with it. Even LOST had some troubles with following through their flash forward clues. I'm actually impressed at how Supernatural handled it, where it's put at the beginning of the season and then spend the rest making it seem like it's all coming true (Cass turning human, Croatoan virus spreading, Detroit, Michael not caring about Dean anymore) only to subvert it all in the finale.

Mara
03-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Now I just want to skip ahead to season 5 to re-experience the awesome.

Although, glancing through the season 2 episode list, I'd forgotten how many favorites are in there. So I'll continue chronologically.

number8
03-12-2012, 04:24 AM
Just watched the season 6 vampire episode where Edward and Bella show up. Heh.

Raiders
03-18-2012, 11:50 PM
After a little break I have started diving into Season 2. Already finding it a little more assured. Just finished "Crossroad Blues" which should have been terribly cheesy what with actual "hell hounds" but actually, it was pretty damn astute. Loved the tribute to Robert Johnson. The final mental showdown between the demon and Dean was very resonant as well.

I was scrolling through some online articles of the show and caught recent photos. Padalecki's hair looks ridiculous now apparently.

Scar
03-18-2012, 11:55 PM
I'm trying to watch Season 3, but Netflix is pissing me off with the audio not synching properly.

So, hopefully in a day or two, I'll have, uh, acquired Season 3, and be able to resume lag free.

Kurosawa Fan
03-19-2012, 01:24 AM
I'm trying to watch Season 3, but Netflix is pissing me off with the audio not synching properly.

So, hopefully in a day or two, I'll have, uh, acquired Season 3, and be able to resume lag free.

I had this problem with two episodes of Dr. Who recently. Hasn't occurred with Supernatural yet.

number8
03-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Human Nature, right?

Kurosawa Fan
03-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Human Nature, right?

Wow. Yep, you were right. It would play fine on my computer, but not on my TV.

number8
03-19-2012, 02:31 PM
That episode's been that way for 2 years now. Netflix wouldn't fix it.

Mara
03-19-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm moseying through season 3 and enjoying it.

However, I don't like Bela, and I particularly dislike they way they do her make-up.

/petty

number8
03-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Nobody liked Bela.

The extremely strong fan hatred was why they killed her off, apparently. She's like the Nikki and Paulo of the show.

Thirdmango
03-19-2012, 04:58 PM
there's an episode of cheers that's like that, I made a complaint but they haven't done anything about it.

Raiders
03-26-2012, 03:02 AM
"Heart" is probably the first truly great episode so far. That's some well-managed, heartbreaking material at the end there.

amberlita
03-26-2012, 04:11 AM
"Heart" is probably the first truly great episode so far. That's some well-managed, heartbreaking material at the end there.

I would disagree that it's the first truly great episode but it's certainly the most emotionally effective since the start of the series.

Season 2 is my favorite season, even though it has a few dreadful episodes up in there.

Mara
03-26-2012, 12:19 PM
This weekend I encountered the first episode that I apparently find heartbreaking, and it was season 3's "Mystery Spot." That is some dark, dark stuff.

My rewatch will confirm, but I think season 5 was my favorite.

Scar
03-26-2012, 01:58 PM
This weekend I encountered the first episode that I apparently find heartbreaking, and it was season 3's "Mystery Spot." That is some dark, dark stuff.

My rewatch will confirm, but I think season 5 was my favorite.

Just watched that last night:

The first half I found hilarious, and the second half was nice and dark. Overall, really enjoyed it.

Kurosawa Fan
03-28-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm watching "Nightmare" right now, and the man in Sam's premonition (Jim Miller) lives in Saginaw, Michigan. Poor Jim Miller. :sad:

Kurosawa Fan
03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
This episode is going to be fun to pick apart! Right off the bat, Michigan State Police don't drive vehicles with the American flag painted across the side.

Mara
03-28-2012, 06:04 PM
The constant efforts to make sets look like not-Canada are kind of an amusing crapshoot.

There sure are a lot of trees in "Kansas."

One of my favorite things to do, though, is to watch how they reuse sets for cheap motel rooms. It's obviously the same modified sets over and over again, but designed by crazy drunk people.

Kurosawa Fan
03-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Well, Jim Miller's son looks like someone straight out of Saginaw, I'll give them that.

number8
03-28-2012, 06:07 PM
They made a pretty great joke in the Hollywood episode.

Dean: Man! California weather is a lot chillier than I expected!
Sam: Yeah, it's practically... Canadian.

number8
03-28-2012, 06:10 PM
One of my favorite things to do, though, is to watch how they reuse sets for cheap motel rooms. It's obviously the same modified sets over and over again, but designed by crazy drunk people.

Yeah, it's almost like a running joke. They keep going to different cities and end up in the exact same motel room. What's baffling is that they could've gotten away with it if they just used a really generic-looking motel room, but no, they have to reuse that motel room with the hellish wallpaper and the extremely distinct room divider.

Kurosawa Fan
03-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Okay, I wasn't going to nitpick (Saginaw has no hills, there is no Saginaw Manor, there is no apartment building in Saginaw, or even more than two or three buildings total, with eleven floors or more), but since you guys brought up the motel issue, the motel in this one says "Escanaba Motel." It's a cabin style motel. One problem: Escanaba is SIX HOURS from Saginaw by car. Probably more. Seriously, show? I mean, this is basic geography. Couldn't you just look at a map before deciding where to set this episode?

number8
03-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah, well, according to Jackie Chan, there are mountains in Bronx, so...

number8
03-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Oh my god, the X-Files opening credits parody. I fucking love it when they do this.

http://images.buddytv.com/articles/spn-intro-xfiles.jpg

number8
03-29-2012, 01:44 AM
HOLY SHIT ROBERT ENGLUND.

number8
03-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Oh my god. Mara, how far did you get on season 6? Did you see the episode where they got transported to our world?

"Apparently in this world, our life is a TV show."
"Well, that's crazy. Who'd want to watch our lives?"
"Apparently not many people do. According to the interviewer, your name is Jensen Ackles and I'm something called Jared Pa-de-le-key."

Mara
03-31-2012, 10:11 PM
Oh my god. Mara, how far did you get on season 6? Did you see the episode where they got transported to our world?

"Apparently in this world, our life is a TV show."
"Well, that's crazy. Who'd want to watch our lives?"
"Apparently not many people do. According to the interviewer, your name is Jensen Ackles and I'm something called Jared Pa-de-le-key."

I made an exception to watch that episode, since the premise interested me. Parts of it were great, but I still felt like it was trying a little too hard. Mischa's tweets were hilarious.

number8
04-01-2012, 03:02 AM
That sums up this season, really. It's fun, but quite obviously desperate. They bring back so many popular side characters, do gimmick episodes, etc. I think there's like 3-4 alternate dimensions/time travel episodes going on. I mean, they went to the Old West.

Thirdmango
04-01-2012, 03:10 AM
is it because they finished their intended story at season 5 and now have nowhere to go? So they just do gimmicky stuff.

number8
04-01-2012, 06:56 PM
The inconsistency in what Dean knows and doesn't know from episode to episode bugs me sometimes. One episode he doesn't know what Myspace is, then the next he's making Facebook jokes. Several episodes establish him as having an encyclopedic knowledge of horror movies, then in this episode I'm watching he's never heard of H.P. Lovecraft because he's "too busy having sex with women."

Kurosawa Fan
04-18-2012, 06:16 PM
This show really does a poor job with the family drama in the first season. Their emotions and motivations are so inconsistent it's laughable. One minute Sam is understanding of his dad's position, the next he's erupting in violent emotion. The same goes for their dad, who the writers don't seem to know how to handle. I have the finale left, and then it's on to season two. I'm going to press on, but I sure hope this improves, because it's a major complaint for me at this point.

slqrick
04-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Anyone watching this current season? I haven't been able to muster up the effort to catch up after the season premiere.

Raiders
04-18-2012, 09:14 PM
This show really does a poor job with the family drama in the first season. Their emotions and motivations are so inconsistent it's laughable. One minute Sam is understanding of his dad's position, the next he's erupting in violent emotion. The same goes for their dad, who the writers don't seem to know how to handle. I have the finale left, and then it's on to season two. I'm going to press on, but I sure hope this improves, because it's a major complaint for me at this point.

It does... for one main reason which I won't spoil for you.

I'm halfway through the third season, and this has become immensely enjoyable with the occasional great episode. Really anticipating the fourth and fifth seasons.

number8
04-18-2012, 09:24 PM

:lol: Kinda hard to make a character who's dead inconsistent.

Kurosawa Fan
04-18-2012, 10:24 PM

I'm halfway through the third season, and this has become immensely enjoyable with the occasional great episode. Really anticipating the fourth and fifth seasons.

Well, then I'll say this: it was a very bold and dangerous move to drag this upcoming moment out this long, because if this wasn't so easily available to me, and my circumstances weren't perfect for an easily digestible show, they would have lost me a long time ago.

Raiders
04-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Well, then I'll say this: it was a very bold and dangerous move to drag this upcoming moment out this long, because if this wasn't so easily available to me, and my circumstances weren't perfect for an easily digestible show, they would have lost me a long time ago.

Honestly, my advice to anyone new to the show would be to just start from the second episode of the second season.

number8
04-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Not sure about Season 7 so far (10 episodes in).

The first time I've ever seen them cop out of a cliffhanger. So disappointing. And the replacement they've got is basically a rehash of the first two season demons. Really?

number8
04-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Also, WTF? Why did they stop playing rock songs during the recaps? Worst season ever.

number8
04-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Jason Dohring! Man, I've missed him.

Mara
04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Jason Dohring! Man, I've missed him.

He was on Ringer.

But... don't.

number8
04-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Is his career stuck on the CW or something?

Lucky
04-25-2012, 10:07 PM
He was on Ringer.

But... don't.

Haha, did you watch the finale by chance?

Mara
04-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Haha, did you watch the finale by chance?

No. It's tentatively on my to-do list, because... curiosity.

Lucky
04-26-2012, 12:26 PM
No. It's tentatively on my to-do list, because... curiosity.

Yeah, I'd say you invested enough time into it to be interested in seeing how it ends. Major things do actually happen.

Mara
05-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Am now through "The Monster at the End of This Book." I was actually shrieking with laughter during parts-- this is innovative and risk-taking television. Even Community never got this meta.

Also, kudos on referencing one of the greatest picture books ever (http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Sesame-Street-Birds-Favorites/dp/0375805613/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336141834&sr=8-1) without pooping all over it. (I'm looking at you, BtVS "Where the Wild Things Are.")

Dead & Messed Up
05-06-2012, 01:40 AM
I just sped through Season Six in the past week for spec-writing purposes and it was Buffy season six, essentially. 'cept not as good. Anyway, since it's my first real exposure to the series (despite watching the first three episodes a month or so ago), a few thoughts.

Misha Collins is awesome.
Ackles's glower-voice thing gets a little wearying.
It was a huge mistake making Sam soulless for so long. Padalecki's an endearing presence, and making him a dick feels like a tactical error.
Once he gets his soul back, the two have a great sense of camaraderie. This is supposedly the beating heart of the show, and it's easy to see why.
The show's budget causes some serious problems, especially with the way that Cas keeps popping up and saying, "I'm in the middle of a war." I guess we'll have to take his word on that, since there isn't enough money to show it.
On that note, they use him way too often as a get-out-of-jail-free card.
The show does a reasonable job of blending disparate cosmologies by simply never acting like they're disparate. What in the hell is Atropos doing when Death is around? I doan geddit.
That "Mother of All" alpha thing turned out to be a fat load of nothing.
"Clap if You Believe," "The French Mistake," "Frontierland," and "The Man Who Knew Too Much" were all strong episodes.
"And Then There Were None" was shockingly bad. Everyone dies and nobody cares and the worms don't matter so what the hell?

I'll go back and check out more at some point, because this is clearly not the peak of the show, but seriously, very frustrating.

number8
05-06-2012, 01:53 AM
Why season six?

Dead & Messed Up
05-06-2012, 01:59 AM
Why season six?

Need to find a good place in which to insert the events of a spec script (hence spec-writing purposes). It's for a competish.

number8
06-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Did I mention that I'm caught up? Season 7... Eh. Pretty good cliffhanger, though not as good as Season 6's, but I don't know if they can satisfyingly deliver on the promise.

Looks like they fired Sera Gamble off showrunner and Jeremy Carver will be running the show next season. Maybe that'll pump new life into this. The last two seasons have generally been a poor show.

D_Davis
06-18-2012, 05:50 PM
I watched 10 episodes of this over the last weekend. Much better than I ever would have thought. I like that it is mostly serious, and somewhat dark. For some reason I imagined it being rather goofy.

The expository dialog is really bad, and it makes me laugh. The writers have absolutely zero confidence in their audience's ability to grasp even the simplest of concepts. It's almost as if the writers have never actually read anything in their lives.

The chemistry between the two brothers is great, and it keeps me interested in their quest.

In general the f/x work is really well done, and it is surprisingly disturbing in parts.

There are many beautiful women in the show.

Looking forward to more, especially the seasons that people think are really good.

number8
06-18-2012, 07:47 PM
It's almost as if the writers have never actually read anything in their lives.

Well, not true, since the later seasons borrow very heavily from Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. :lol:

D_Davis
06-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Well, not true, since the later seasons borrow very heavily from Neil Gaiman...

Well now that makes sense

Thirdmango
07-28-2012, 12:34 PM
watched the first two episodes tonight, it was fun.

D_Davis
07-29-2012, 04:12 AM
The Assault on Precinct 13 episode in S3 was great.

Watashi
07-29-2012, 04:14 AM
The Assault on Precinct 13 episode in S3 was great.
Nightshifter?

That's one of my favorite episodes.

number8
07-29-2012, 04:18 AM
Season 3 already? Now the goin gets good.

amberlita
07-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Nightshifter is in Season 2 and one of my favorites as well. But I think Davis is referring to Jus in Bello, when Sam and Dean are arrested by Henrickson only to wind up fighting alongside him, defending the jail from demons.

Season 2 continues to be my favorite season with Crossroad Blues, Nightshifter, Born Under a Bad Sign, Tall Tales, and Heart all being amongst my favorites of the show's entire run. And the final 3 episodes of that season are really emotional for me.

Irish
11-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Someone whose opinion I trust recommended this show.

Is it the kind of thing best viewed from the beginning, or is it better to jump forward a bit (a la Buffy, Angel, Fringe, etc)?

number8
11-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Jump forward. Season 1 is utter shit. Season 2 is passable entertainment.

Seasons 3-5 are fantastic.

Problem is they're fantastic because they built on things established on those two seasons.

Scar
11-14-2012, 10:29 PM
I recall rather enjoying the first two seasons.

amberlita
11-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Agreed. If you find it difficult to muddle through mediocre episodes then you should skip Season 1, though I really do endorse the majority of Season 2. Some clunkers in there but not the consistent garbage that is Season 1. Plus, Sammy's hair never looked better than it did that season.

amberlita
11-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Might be worth it to watch the very final episode of Season 1 though, to get the bookend of the story that you'll miss. And be prepared to stop watching after Season 5. I continued on and it isn't worth it. The show is bad now. I can't even bring myself to watch the last 3 episodes.

Scar
11-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Might be worth it to watch the very final episode of Season 1 though, to get the bookend of the story that you'll miss. And be prepared to stop watching after Season 5. I continued on and it isn't worth it. The show is bad now. I can't even bring myself to watch the last 3 episodes.

I'm hung up in whatever season has the Leviathans.

Irish
11-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Cool, thanks!

amberlita
11-14-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm hung up in whatever season has the Leviathans.

Season 18

number8
11-15-2012, 02:54 AM
I'm actually caught up. It's whatever. I don't get exited for it anymore, but it shows up on Hulu and I just turn it on when I'm doing whatever. Not really interested in all the shit they're building up to, but it's still got plenty of Sam and Dean fighting monster of the week and making with the funny.

Hey remember how fucking awesome seasons 3-5 were?

amberlita
11-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Hey remember how fucking awesome seasons 3-5 were?

I do. :sad:

Thirdmango
11-26-2012, 02:21 PM
I've watched a bunch of episodes in season 1 in the past couple days. I'm actually enjoying them besides the fact that they are just simple monster of the week stuff. The oddest thing about them though is that almost every episode has one minor character that seems like they might become a recurring character and then I look them up on the wiki and they only appear in that episode. For instances:

http://supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/Jerry_Panowski

http://supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/Rebecca_Warren

http://supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/Missouri_Moseley

Apparently the last one was supposed to show up but she got a scheduling conflict as was replaced with some other character.

number8
02-09-2013, 01:58 AM
Sometimes—a lot of times—I think Jensen Ackles is way too good to just be contained on this show. His comic timing is always excellent.

number8
02-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Finding out that Dean is really domestic at heart is wonderful.

Mara
02-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Finding out that Dean is really domestic at heart is wonderful.

It's one of my favorite things, whenever it comes up.

Are you watching the current season, or rewatching old ones?

number8
02-16-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm all caught up. I watch every week.

Mara
02-16-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm all caught up. I watch every week.

How is it? Worth watching?

number8
02-16-2013, 09:42 PM
No. I do it anyway.

But they recently found a permanent base, so the last episode had Dean doing some cooking and interior decorating.

number8
03-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Latest episode...

Meg: You ever miss the apocalypse? Things were so simple back then.

GOD YES.

Mara
03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Stop torturing yourself, guy.

number8
05-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Ugh, so the last two episodes of the season ended up being really intense and pretty damn good, and is setting up insane repercussions for next season (Castiel is now human!, Heaven's door is closed!, Crowley is cured?). I'm starting to resent this show for not allowing to let go. I came so close this season. The last shot of the finale, with all the angels falling down from the sky as fireballs, is chilling.

Thirdmango
07-08-2013, 04:25 PM
So I just sort of forgot about keeping up with this show because those episodes in the first season were just nothing. Then today I happened to catch an episode on TV from the end of the 4th season and it was so incredibly clever that now I want to watch it again. It was the episode: With the guy who writes the comic book of their lives and it turns out he's a prophet.