PDA

View Full Version : Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (Who Cares)

Kurosawa Fan
02-18-2012, 08:33 PM
http://www.flicksandbits.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/journey-2.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1397514/

Kurosawa Fan
02-18-2012, 08:36 PM
I hate myself.

Brainless dialogue and plot, dull "thrills," an uncomfortable sexualizing of Vanessa Hudgins (not that she doesn't do this on her own), etc. It's another Jaws 4 for Michael Caine. Well done sir.

Spinal
02-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Backlash. :rolleyes:

TGM
02-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah, this didn't even look like a fun kind of bad movie, it just looks flat out terrible, and the effects look awful.

[ETM]
02-18-2012, 11:49 PM
How are they even running? Their feet are all stuck.

Spun Lepton
02-25-2012, 02:31 PM
"That's the deadliest part of the ocean."

:|

megladon8
02-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Why does Dwayne Johnson continue to do this crap, when he's more than capable of being this generation's best go-to action guy.

number8
02-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Why does Dwayne Johnson continue to do this crap, when he's more than capable of being this generation's best go-to action guy.

He really, really likes entertaining kids, and doing comedy.

Kiusagi
02-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Johnson's always been kind of a family friendly guy, even when he was The Rock. So it doesn't surprise me to see him in this stuff, but for a year or two that was literally all he was doing. Looking at his upcoming filmography, he doesn't seem to have any kids' movies on the horizon, so that's good news at least.

Ezee E
02-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Really would like him to do a R-rated non-action comedy.

Kurosawa Fan
02-26-2012, 01:06 AM
Will someone else please see this film already so I'm not the only one? I feel like such a weeny.

Spinal
02-26-2012, 04:05 AM
Will someone else please see this film already so I'm not the only one?

No. That's not happening.

number8
02-26-2012, 05:18 AM
Johnson's always been kind of a family friendly guy, even when he was The Rock.

You're talking about his movies, right? Because his wrestling persona was definitely not that family friendly. He talked about eating pussy all the damn time.

Looking at his upcoming filmography, he doesn't seem to have any kids' movies on the horizon, so that's good news at least.

As much as it pains me to say it... If anybody can turn him into an A-list action star, it's Michael Bay.

[ETM]
02-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Will someone else please see this film already so I'm not the only one? I feel like such a weeny.

I'm tempted to pirate it and suffer through it, but I'm not paying for that shit.

Kurosawa Fan
02-26-2012, 02:34 PM
No. That's not happening.

I would say this is what separates real friends from internet friends, but they'd tell me to fuck off as well.

Raiders
02-26-2012, 06:47 PM
As much as it pains me to say it... If anybody can turn him into an A-list action star, it's Michael Bay.

Well, the film (Pain & Gain) is going to be Bay's attempt at a non-action (at least big action) character piece with a "small" budget of $25 million. That is laughable in of itself, but the idea of Johnson and Wahlberg starring in a black-comedy film with this early-production synopsis...

"a couple of Florida steroid-abusing knucklehead bodybuilders who become criminals involved in an extortion ring and a kidnapping plot that goes horribly awry."

... is awesome.

Irish
03-04-2012, 11:24 PM

Waaaaay back when he first started doing features, I thought he was gonna be the next big thing. Athletic, charismatic, likable, and a built in fan base.

He had a few problems early on. Mostly in the he got paired with mediocre directors and C-list costars. So he never got his chance at a Terminator or Diehard (or even a Lock Stock) kind of moment. There wasn't any single movie that defined his persona in the public consciousness. Hell, even Dolph Lungren got that.

But I think his biggest problem -- one that he will never overcome -- is his on screen presence. The dude has no edge. Despite his size, he's not intimidating in the slightest. He comes off like some kind of big teddy bear. Ever seen him in an interview? He's charming as hell and just incredibly affable. It's like some kind of mad scientist took Jimmy Stewart's soul and shoved it into The Hulk's body.

So when you're looking for a guy to pass off lines like "I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle" or even "Yippy ki yay, motherfucker," there's got to be angry edge to it. The audience can't feel like the hero is going to break into a big, wide grin and give everyone a bear hug.

The Rock lacks any kind of gravitas. I cant imagine this guy throw ing himself into a rage, or just getting truly angry. Which is kind of awesome as a human being, but makes him less appealing as an action hero.

That's my theory anyway. A little bit over 2 cents worth, but you get the point.