PDA

View Full Version : The Owl in Daylight - Philip K. Dick biopic

megladon8
01-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Set for release in 2009.

Script is currently being written by Tony Grisoni.

Paul Giamatti is currently lined up to play the sci-fi author.

D_Davis
01-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Set for release in 2009.

Script is currently being written by Tony Grisoni.

Paul Giamatti is currently lined up to play the sci-fi author.

Oh yeah.

God, what I wouldn't give to go back in time to make sure that Dick could have finished The Owl in Daylight. It was poised to be his crowning achievement, his magnum opus (as if he didn't already write some of the best fiction ever written). In the scant few notes he left, he said it was going to encapsulate a bit of everything he had worked on up until this point.

I know that Giamatti is a huge fan of Dick. I've got an audiobook of A Scanner Darkly read by Mr. Giamatti.

I think he will be perfect for the role.

megladon8
01-11-2008, 10:41 PM
I don't think I've ever actually seen a photograph of Dick.

Does Giamatti bear a strong resemblance?

D_Davis
01-11-2008, 10:52 PM
I don't think I've ever actually seen a photograph of Dick.

Does Giamatti bear a strong resemblance?

Not a strong resemblance, but I can still see it.

http://blogs.salon.com/0003379/images/2004/05/17/rozztoxshirt.jpg

megladon8
01-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Eh, with Giamatti's beard, it'll be close enough.

Besides...I've really come around with Giamatti. I didn't used to like him too much - I was getting a little tired of him playing the whole "depressed middle-aged man" role - but I've seen him in a few very different roles lately, and he's really great.

I hope this has a competent writer and director. I think there are some really cool, original ways a biopic of Dick could be handled.

D_Davis
01-12-2008, 12:33 AM
I hope this has a competent writer and director. I think there are some really cool, original ways a biopic of Dick could be handled.

I would love to see Linklater do it in the same style as ASD. Maybe even do a mix of live action and animation. It really needs to capture the surreal nature of Dick's life.

Llopin
01-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Really looking foward to it. Considering the guy who is writing also conjured Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Tideland, we can expect surrealism and weirdness in generous doses... I wonder if Gilliam is being considered to direct.

D_Davis
01-12-2008, 03:33 PM
I wonder if Gilliam is being considered to direct.

God I hope not. I want this to be good, not an interesting failure mired in studio/artistic conflict.

Based on past PKD adaptations, I would just love to see this project headed by Linklater. He's made the best adaptation, and he really seems to understand the themes of PKD's work.

MadMan
01-12-2008, 04:19 PM
I would love to see Linklater do it in the same style as ASD. Maybe even do a mix of live action and animation. It really needs to capture the surreal nature of Dick's life.That would be really awesome. I must admit I haven't read any of Dick's works. Which ones would you recommend?

lemon
01-12-2008, 11:16 PM
I've got an audiobook of A Scanner Darkly read by Mr. Giamatti.

Giamatti is sooo great in this; best performance in an audiobook ever.

D_Davis
01-13-2008, 02:57 PM
That would be really awesome. I must admit I haven't read any of Dick's works. Which ones would you recommend?

Check out this post, and the discussion after it:

http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=22074&postcount=71

MadMan
01-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Check out this post, and the discussion after it:

http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=22074&postcount=71Will do good sir. Danke.