PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Sense (David Mackenzie)

NickGlass
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
From the people who brought you the sleazy arthouse quasi-hit of 2004, Young Adam!

Perfect Sense
http://www.comingsoon.net/gallery/55601/Perfect_Sense_1.jpg

NickGlass
02-13-2012, 02:24 PM
This is a gas, by the way. It's like Michael Winterbottom decided to direct Contagion as a love story. It's never slow, but its running time (which is short) still outpaces its concept; the tricky idea of disease-as-human condition becomes tiresome--but at least remains giddily risible.

baby doll
07-12-2012, 02:26 PM
This movie is pretty nuts. The disease is more interesting than the characters--but what a disease!

Rowland
07-13-2012, 09:02 PM
The anti-Contagion? Perhaps too much so, since I can imagine many scoffing at the film's hyper-lyrical fusion of romance and disaster film conventions, coupled with some on-the-nose writing that, as Nick suggested, flirts with risibility. Nevertheless, despite some heavy skepticism on my part early on, this won me over in a big way, warts and all.

Boner M
07-20-2012, 02:13 AM
I don't think there's a contemporary filmmaker whose films have quietly perplexed me more than David Mackenzie. They're all screamingly literal in a way that's completely at odds with the people who populate them, all in the thrall of sensual/carnal desire in a way that gives the narratives a haphazard, shapeless quality that doesn't always feel artful. I'm pretty sure I could've done without the voiceover and montages of bank commercial imagery in this, though.

Baby doll's right about the disease being more interesting the characters. Makes me wonder if someone'll remake it down the line.