PDA

View Full Version : Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie (Tim Heidecker & Eric Wareheim)

EyesWideOpen
01-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie

Directors: Tim Heidecker & Eric Wareheim

imdb page (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1855401/)

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc261/gothamcentral79/Tim-and-Erics-Billion-Dollar-Movie-poster.jpg

EyesWideOpen
01-27-2012, 11:49 PM
This is up on video on demand before it's theatrical release for anyone interested. I'll be watching tonight. Can't wait!

eternity
01-29-2012, 08:46 PM
It's sporadically funny enough to recommend, but it's not the outrageous spectacle one would expect from Tim and Eric.

EyesWideOpen
01-29-2012, 10:20 PM
I'll go ahead and say it's terrible. And I'm as big a Tim and Eric fan as you'll find. The fifteen or so minutes of the movie (the opening, commericals, etc) where they do what they do in their show is pretty much the only funny stuff in the whole movie. And what a waste of Ferrell, Reilly, Galifianakis and Forte. All four of these actors have been on the show multiple times and were always hilarious but they were given nothing to do in this movie. This is the most letdown I've been by a film in a long time.

eternity
01-30-2012, 08:29 AM
The last half really brings it down. It's only been twelve hours and it has already soured in my mind, although I laughed quite a few times.

EyesWideOpen
01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
It actually reminded me a lot of the Ali G movie where Cohen tried to make an "actual" movie out of his show and it just completely did not work. Thankfully he switched to his tv style and just made them full length for Borat and Bruno which were huge improvements.

Henry Gale
01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
It actually reminded me a lot of the Ali G movie where Cohen tried to make an "actual" movie out of his show and it just completely did not work. Thankfully he switched to his tv style and just made them full length for Borat and Bruno which were huge improvements.

This has been my exact comparison so far in trying to explain to a couple of friends how this movie manages to not be very good. It just feels off. I think what makes both Da Ali G Show and Awesome Show work is that the entire production seems to be controlled by their characters, and what we're watching in every episode is an unfiltered glimpse into mindset of who we're seeing onscreen. The comedy in the shows come from everything being ridiculous with no sense of awareness on their part. But then everything in the movies seem to be structured like any other comedy film, teeing up for punchlines and telegraphing visual gags in overly predictable ways with little effect. The movie's just look too professional and seem designed to just loudly highlight the ridiculousness of the material in a way that comes off as unfunny. Which isn't to say that if this movie was shot on a '90s home video camera that it would suddenly be better, but it'd be more on the right track.

Billion Dollar Movie has its moments, but in the end it just feels way too toned down and unremarkable an effort from Tim & Eric. Which might in itself be someone's argument that it's blatant mediocrity is their own meta-commentary on the state of film, but that still doesn't mean it couldn't have been funnier.

Milky Joe
01-31-2012, 02:08 AM
Toned down? Have Tim & Eric damaged your sensibilities that badly? I thought this was easily the grossest and darkest and most ridiculous thing they've ever done (well, the Chrimbus special might be the most ridiculous).

"Throw the bait."

I can't say I was disappointed. I thought Will Ferrell had his best T&E appearance easily. I've always found him to be a disappointment on Awesome Show.

eternity
01-31-2012, 03:11 AM

The Dictator goes back to the "actual movie" format, but the results are [redacted].

Rowland
01-31-2012, 03:30 AM
I'm no T&E afficiando, but my favorite guest appearance on the show was by Paul Rudd. They should have brought back Celery Man for the movie.

Dead & Messed Up
01-31-2012, 03:38 AM
I'm no T&E afficiando, but my favorite guest appearance on the show was by Paul Rudd. They should have brought back Celery Man for the movie.

"Now Tayne I can get into."

EyesWideOpen
01-31-2012, 04:09 AM
"Now Tayne I can get into."

My wife says that line like once a week.

[ETM]
01-31-2012, 04:45 AM
So that's where all those gazillion references were from? It's amusing in a "I don't know what I'm watching" kind of way, but I don't see what's so funny about it.

MadMan
01-31-2012, 05:35 AM
I still fail to see why this show has any appeal whatsoever. Although this talk of it being a regular episode stretched out to movie length reminds me of the ATHFCMSFT that came out back in 2007.

eternity
01-31-2012, 05:49 AM
I still fail to see why this show has any appeal whatsoever. Although this talk of it being a regular episode stretched out to movie length reminds me of the ATHFCMSFT that came out back in 2007.
It's the show stretched out to about twice it's normal length and then 70 minutes of shit after that.

Henry Gale
01-31-2012, 05:57 AM
Toned down? Have Tim & Eric damaged your sensibilities that badly? I thought this was easily the grossest and darkest and most ridiculous thing they've ever done (well, the Chrimbus special might be the most ridiculous).

Well toned down in terms of its energy and aesthetic. The content is obviously grosser and gorier because they're not on Cartoon Network, but it doesn't automatically make it feel like new, worthwhile territory for them.

Boner M
01-31-2012, 06:14 AM
I keep forgetting there was a Mr. Show movie too, and it sucked.

Dead & Messed Up
01-31-2012, 06:23 AM
My wife says that line like once a week.

I have mixed feelings about Tim and Eric, but that sketch is golden.

Pop Trash
01-31-2012, 06:33 AM

I liked "The State" movie.

Henry Gale
01-31-2012, 08:57 AM

Well with that movie, Odenkirk and Cross basically lost all control of it, eventually being locked out of the editing room. Its overall reputation paired with even those that were involved in it like Scott Aukerman recounting its production and openly calling it "a piece of shit" have kept me away from ever seeing it.

EyesWideOpen
01-31-2012, 12:31 PM

No no. That's what we're saying. It is not a regular episode stretched out to movie length. That's what I would have preferred. This is them trying to make a comedy movie.

Milky Joe
02-01-2012, 01:03 AM
I watched this again last night in much better circumstances. Haven't laughed that hard that continuously for quite some time. A shining achievement.

Spun Lepton
02-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I still fail to see why this show has any appeal whatsoever.

Same here. Never laughed at the show. Not once.

Milky Joe
02-04-2012, 06:25 AM
I love how proud people always are to declare that they don't find T&E funny. Good for you! Nobody cares.

Spun Lepton
02-04-2012, 06:50 AM
I love how proud people always are to declare that they don't find T&E funny. Good for you! Nobody cares.

Well, you know, if they were actually funny ...

Milky Joe
02-04-2012, 11:22 PM
You have no idea how silly that sounds to me

Dead & Messed Up
02-04-2012, 11:44 PM
I've warmed up to their stuff a bit. "Morning Prayer," "Celery Man," their astronomy lesson ("I do this every night with your son"), and Dr. Steve Brule are all pretty funny to me. But I have total sympathy for people who don't find them funny at all. If Monty Python was about rejecting the punchline, Tim and Eric are about rejecting the setup. And the through-line. It's a double-dare into awkward humor, and it's not gonna appeal to most.

Derek
02-05-2012, 12:03 AM
You have no idea how silly that sounds to me

And normally you're so understanding when people disagree with you! :eek:

Milky Joe
02-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Hey, I'm not the one unilaterally declaring my opinion to be fact here. Simply not finding them funny isn't enough, they are totally unwilling to accept that anybody could disagree.

Derek
02-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Hey, I'm not the one unilaterally declaring my opinion to be fact here. Simply not finding them funny isn't enough, they are totally unwilling to accept that anybody could disagree.

I haven't run into these people, I guess. Maybe I'll try singing "I Sit Down When I Pee" next time I'm a public bathroom and see what comes of it. :)

Boner M
02-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Everyone comes around to T&E eventually.

MadMan
02-05-2012, 03:02 AM
I'm amused that when I finally say I don't like something when I've been accused of liking too many things, that rubs people the wrong way or annoys them, too. I just can't win :pritch:

Ezee E
02-05-2012, 07:59 PM
I like Old Spice commercials.

Boner M
02-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Dunno where else to post it, but a heads-up to T&E fans: I saw the mostly non-comedic The Comedy in Rotterdam, starring Tim (w/ Eric in a supporting role), and it's one of the most intriguing films of recent years, even if it has its fair share of flaws. As scathing a depiction of white male privilege and hipster apathy that I can recall. I'll be surprised if it gets a distributor, albeit won't be surprised if Armond lauds it (it also allegedly riled up Sundance audiences to the point that one guy took a swing at its writer/director, Rick Alverson).

dmk
02-10-2012, 01:10 AM
It looks terrific. I have this (vimeo.com/35703057) clip running on a loop.

Armond will be more like "retroactive abortion", we hope.

Milky Joe
02-11-2012, 03:24 AM
I thought it was picked up by David Gordon Green's company? Can't wait to see it.

I'm hoping this movie will get more people to appreciate (or at least pay attention to) what Tim Heidecker's doing.

eternity
02-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Is there any way to re-vote in a poll? I can't 'yay' this in good conscience.

Milky Joe
02-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Did you see the version that was Rango'd or something?

EyesWideOpen
02-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Did you see the version that was Rango'd or something?

There is no way that wouldn't have been a better movie.

Kurosawa Fan
02-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Is there any way to re-vote in a poll? I can't 'yay' this in good conscience.

I can change the number of yays and nays, but not which user voted for each option. Did you want me to change your vote?

Milky Joe
02-18-2012, 01:09 AM
There is no way that wouldn't have been a better movie.

Out of curiosity, under what circumstances did you watch it?

Raiders
02-18-2012, 01:14 AM
I can change the number of yays and nays, but not which user voted for each option. Did you want me to change your vote?

No need. Just did a hack that allows you to change your poll vote now.

Kurosawa Fan
02-18-2012, 01:36 AM

Nice. Well done, sir.

EyesWideOpen
02-18-2012, 02:08 AM
Out of curiosity, under what circumstances did you watch it?

On my tv through my roku with my wife who is as big a Tim and Eric fan as I am. She disliked it more than I did.

Milky Joe
02-18-2012, 02:15 AM
Well, whatevs. I laughed my ass off.

eternity
02-18-2012, 05:08 AM
Please.

Kurosawa Fan
02-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Please.

I'll point you to this, posted just after my post:

eternity
02-19-2012, 01:05 AM
I'll point you to this, posted just after my post:

Saw it right after I posted. I should have deleted my post. Oh well.

Kurosawa Fan
02-19-2012, 03:12 AM
Saw it right after I posted. I should have deleted my post. Oh well.

No problem, just wanted to make sure you weren't waiting on me.

Milky Joe
03-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Lol:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20120229%2FREVI EWS%2F120229974

EyesWideOpen
05-08-2012, 11:02 PM
This just came out on blu-ray/dvd and I bought it as a Tim and Eric fan even though I didn't care for it. I figured I'd give it another watch and at least enjoy the bonus features. It came with a digital copy so if anyone wants it let me know.

Milky Joe
05-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I'll take it!

Dead & Messed Up
07-09-2012, 05:49 PM
The climax achieves an appreciable level of satire, with Tim and Eric shitting on any and every Hollywood requirement, most notably the heroic sacrifice (which ends with a dispassionate shrug) and the end-film stand-off, which deserves admiration for showing an absence of heroism. Human shields and "bait" come in unexpected forms. The rest of the film? A less successful stretching of the T & E formula to feature-length, and a failure to capitalize on some of the stars that appear, most depressingly Will Forte and Ray Wise. Wise's bit in particular might try to lampoon "wellness" clinics, but all it accomplishes is nausea. Scatology in general offers too many easy punchlines here (penis piercing and masturbation similarly button scenes). Reminiscent of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, in that a few smaller bits are just good enough to remind me of how much better this humor works in an abbreviated format.