PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Pro

Watashi
01-09-2008, 02:09 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809823934/video/5436520/

Is it wrong that I laughed hard at this trailer?

"If you have a small child, use it as a shield"

Will Ferrell is soon going to run out of sports to satirize.

number8
01-09-2008, 02:19 AM
I really wish he'd stop doing movies that can be pitched with just his name and a profession. This is most of his career:

"Will Ferrell... basketball player!" "Will Ferrell... figure skater!" "Will Ferrell... NASCAR racer!" "Will Ferrell... journalist!"

Watashi
01-09-2008, 02:23 AM
What about "Will Ferrell... IRS agent!"?

I like Will Ferrell. Both of my rewatches of Anchorman and Talladega Nights have been huge turnarounds. I still have no desire to see Bewitched or Kicking and Screaming.

number8
01-09-2008, 02:30 AM
I like him too. That's why I'd like him to do more Stranger Than Fiction or Anchorman and less Talladega Nights or Blades of Glory.

Although if you ask me why I liked Anchorman and not Talladega Nights, I really can't give you a reason.

Sven
01-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Looks very awful. My friends will love it. I will not.

Ezee E
01-09-2008, 03:29 AM
The scripts seem like copy and paste jobs, but there's always a few moments that get me to laugh well. I'll see it on DVD.

Ivan Drago
01-09-2008, 03:53 AM
Will Ferrell is soon going to run out of sports to satirize.

If he does a football movie, I'm there.

Winston*
01-09-2008, 03:56 AM
If he does a football movie, I'm there.
Um...
http://octubre.extremevideostore.com/Kicking%20&%20SCREAMING.jpg

Ivan Drago
01-09-2008, 03:57 AM
Um...
http://octubre.extremevideostore.com/Kicking%20&%20SCREAMING.jpg

American football.

Winston*
01-09-2008, 04:00 AM
American football.

No such game. Quit making things up, Ivan Drago.

Sycophant
01-09-2008, 04:06 AM
Looks very awful. My friends will love it. I will not.Please leave me out of this. I've hated my share of Will Ferrell brand crap.

Ivan Drago
01-09-2008, 04:11 AM
No such game. Quit making things up, Ivan Drago.

Fine. You can have your Kaka and David Beckham. I'll take my Brett Favre and A.J. Hawk.

Sven
01-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Please leave me out of this. I've hated my share of Will Ferrell brand crap.

Many apologies, if you feel jabbed. This one looked much more like Talladega Nights and Anchorman than Blades of Glory, though, which is where my logic is coming from.

Kurosawa Fan
01-09-2008, 03:26 PM
The only line that made me laugh was the one Wats quoted in the first post. I'll still see this because it was filmed in Flint and a lot of people I know went down and were chosen as extras. In fact, my pastor has a scene with Will Ferrell, though he doesn't have a speaking line.

Sycophant
01-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Many apologies, if you feel jabbed. This one looked much more like Talladega Nights and Anchorman than Blades of Glory, though, which is where my logic is coming from.
I can understand the flow of that logic, then. However, it looks much more like Blades of Glory to me (or from my memory of the trailer--I refuse to willingly watch it again). Frankly, for this brand of Will Ferrell vehicle, the only person I trust Mr. F to work with is Adam McKay. Pretty much everything else I've seen has left me severely underwhelmed/with a rash.

MadMan
01-12-2008, 05:30 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809823934/video/5436520/

Is it wrong that I laughed hard at this trailer?

"If you have a small child, use it as a shield"

Will Ferrell is soon going to run out of sports to satirize.I laughed at the trailer quite a bit, but I have a feeling that the line you quoted will be the funniest one in the entire film. I'm a big Ferrell fan (I still need to view Stranger Than Fiction and Blades of Glory though) so I'll probably go see this.

megladon8
01-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Looks very awful. My friends will love it. I will not.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

"Hey guys, wanna go see No Country For Old Men? You have to see it...it's amazing!"

"Pfft...screw that! We're seein' Semi-Pro!"

I know these movies weren't out together, but it's the first comparison I could think of.

My friends are idiots. I guess that says a lot about me :)

Milky Joe
01-12-2008, 09:57 PM
This looks awesome.

Sven
01-13-2008, 01:10 AM
My friends are idiots. I guess that says a lot about me :)

I definitely don't think my friends are idiots, but I still can't manage to find proper ways to express my confusion about their attraction to Talladega Nights. Dumbest goddamn movie I've seen in a long time (well, scratch that, I did see Enchanted recently) and they all love it. I am at a loss.

Ezee E
01-13-2008, 02:01 PM
My friends all have relatively different tastes. Some can articulate what they like about movies, while others can simply say "It was entertaining/interesting." We argue all the time about movies. It's pretty great.

I can't wait to see what they'll think of There Will Be Blood cause I have no idea what they'll think. Usually I can predict them pretty well.