PDA

View Full Version : Attenberg (Athina Rachel Tsangari)

Raiders
01-11-2012, 05:29 PM
ATTENBERG
Director: Athina Rachel Tsangari

imdb page (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1691323)

http://www.badassdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/5520597052_03828748e8_b.jpg

Ezee E
01-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Looks painful.

Ivan Drago
02-02-2012, 04:44 AM
Well. . .they certainly got my attention with the poster!

Pop Trash
04-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Well. . .they certainly got my attention with the poster!

I've noticed that most of the promotional material is pretty eye catching. This poster with shoulder blades resembling breasts. The other poster with the two girls grabbing their crotches ala Michael Jackson. A still on MUBI with a girl exposing her breasts to another girl.

Anyway, perhaps the advertising worked since I'm going to try and see this tonight.

Spinal
07-04-2012, 03:34 PM
All the time I was watching this, I kept thinking about how much it seemed to be influenced by Dogtooth. Didn't realize that Giorgos Lanthimos was actually in the film I was watching. So, apparently there's a Greek film movement based on young female duos performing bizarre dances and having awkward sex.

Sxottlan
07-05-2012, 08:01 AM
I had made plans to see this last week, but then my work schedule was changed for that weekend. It only screened twice and I couldn't go. :sad:

NickGlass
07-05-2012, 01:15 PM
All the time I was watching this, I kept thinking about how much it seemed to be influenced by Dogtooth. Didn't realize that Giorgos Lanthimos was actually in the film I was watching. So, apparently there's a Greek film movement based on young female duos performing bizarre dances and having awkward sex.

I don't think the movement is heading upward, though; Alps features more bizarre dancing and awkward sex and its conceit is more simplistic and flimsy.

EyesWideOpen
11-10-2012, 11:38 PM

As far as that movement goes I think Dogtooth is a better film then Attenberg. I really want to see Alps.

ThePlashyBubbler
12-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Loved this.

baby doll
12-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Liked this, and suspect it'll look even better on second viewing.

Pop Trash
12-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Loved this.

Did not love this.

Melville
12-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Liked this a lot. Not as good as Dogtooth, but the soundtrack was killer.

Pop Trash
12-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Liked this a lot. Not as good as Dogtooth, but the soundtrack was killer.

Well yeah Suicide was cool (but come on would some sheltered Greek country girl really be into 70s NYC electro-punk? Really?) but between this and Alps the Greek 'Weird Wave' seems to be spinning its creative wheels. It's all random dancing, awkward sex, plus either actual incest or hints of incest.

Melville
12-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Well yeah Suicide was cool (but come on would some sheltered Greek country girl really be into 70s NYC electro-punk? Really?) but between this and Alps the Greek 'Weird Wave' seems to be spinning its creative wheels. It's all random dancing, awkward sex, plus either actual incest or hints of incest.
Yeah, it had a lot of similarities. But it made for a nice companion piece: rather than youths isolated from other people and trapped by their parents in a bizarre world of random dancing and awkward sex, in Attenberg the youth is actively exploring the world and trying to build connections with others...by means of random dancing and awkward sex.

Suicide was great, but the use of Daniel Johnston and Francoise Hardy may have been even greater.