PDA

View Full Version : The 2012 Database Discussion Thread

Raiders
01-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Post here all your requests for new threads or discuss the addition of new threads or new ideas/suggestions for the forum.

Thirdmango
01-11-2012, 12:40 AM
are you going to start each thread or do we want to do some sort of system where in someone who particularly likes a film and is the first to see it decides they are fine with taking on keeping it updated?

transmogrifier
01-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Cool. We need to get a thread for a specific film in here to see how it works in practice.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the number of threads for films seen by only one or two people (i.e. limited release films) clogging everything up. Perhaps only a moderator should be allowed to create threads for specific films based on the wide releases of that week, and anything else can go in a stickied Limited Release/Festival Thread, which could just operate like Ezee's format. Any film that starts off in here can be elevated to its own thread once a certain number of people have seen it, maybe?

Raiders
01-11-2012, 12:41 AM
I posted Ti West's The Innkeepers to get the ball rolling.

Raiders
01-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Cool. We need to get a thread for a specific film in here to see how it works in practice.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the number of threads for films seen by only one or two people (i.e. limited release films) clogging everything up. Perhaps only a moderator should be allowed to create threads for specific films based on the wide releases of that week, and anything else can go in a stickied Limited Release/Festival Thread, which could just operate like Ezee's format. Any film that starts off in here can be elevated to its own thread once a certain number of people have seen it, maybe?

We have tons of server space and a search function that I believe still works fine. I would prefer we not restrict it yet. I mean, Nick and Boner have a right to vote for the films.

Thirdmango
01-11-2012, 12:43 AM
clogging everything up.

I doubt it will clog up as you say only because if only two people see it then it'll just get pushed to the back as people keep discussing and updating bigger films.

transmogrifier
01-11-2012, 12:44 AM
We have tons of server space and a search function that I believe still works fine. I would prefer we not restrict it yet. I mean, Nick and Boner have a right to vote for the films.

Fair enough. So there will be a sticky at the top with a list of the films that all have threads dedicated to them, with links straight to that thread? And so if we don't see a film on that list, we can create our own (and perhaps comment in that sticky that we have done so, so that the mod can add it to the list)?

Spinal
01-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Fun. :)

Derek
01-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Fun. :)

I literally waved my hand in front of nose to avoid the stench of sarcasm coming from your voice. :lol:

Spinal
01-11-2012, 12:59 AM
I wasn't being sarcastic. :sad:

Derek
01-11-2012, 01:01 AM
I wasn't being sarcastic. :sad:

Oh, sorry! I just assumed with as much as you were mocking the multiple rating systems that you found this way over-the-top. I stand corrected...and yes, fun! :)

Raiders
01-11-2012, 01:04 AM
Do you guys think it would be best to have the threads sorted alphabetically or by last posting date (which will include voting in the poll, but NOT voting PRO/CON)?

Spinal
01-11-2012, 01:12 AM
as much as you were mocking the multiple rating systems

It's an addiction. I'm trying to stop.

Kurosawa Fan
01-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Alphabetically seems like the easiest system to me.

Watashi
01-11-2012, 01:22 AM
This is fantastic work, Raiders.

Watashi
01-11-2012, 01:25 AM
How far in advance do you want someone to make a thread? The week of its release?

Edit: This is to prevent several thread being spawned that aren't released until the summer (Batman, Avengers, etc).

Derek
01-11-2012, 01:27 AM
This is fantastic work, Raiders.

Yes, I hope everyone is repping Raiders for this. Not only saves a lot of manual work, but should be more organized and nicer to look at this way.

Raiders
01-11-2012, 01:28 AM
How far in advance do you want someone to make a thread? The week of its release?

Edit: This is to prevent several thread being spawned that aren't released until the summer (Batman, Avengers, etc).

The threads don't really need to be released until close to the release date. Before that, the discussion would be in the Upcoming thread for the film.

Ideally, the first person who sees the film, and who has a couple spare moments, would create the thread here.

Derek
01-11-2012, 01:29 AM

I would say no more than a week before it's released or when someone sees it early (press screening, festival, etc.) and is certain it has a 2012 release date.

EDIT: What Raiders said.

EyesWideOpen
01-11-2012, 02:09 AM
We should probably have a thread for The Devil Inside since that's the first "major" new release of the year. I have no problem making it but then you need to add the poll and "rate this film" part, correct?

Stay Puft
01-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Are none of these polls public? Shouldn't they be public?

Raiders
01-11-2012, 02:22 AM
We should probably have a thread for The Devil Inside since that's the first "major" new release of the year. I have no problem making it but then you need to add the poll and "rate this film" part, correct?

You add the poll when creating the thread. The "Rate This Film" part is added automatically.

Raiders
01-11-2012, 02:26 AM
soitgoes... wait a minute! You aren't making the polls public. They have to have who voted viewable by everyone.

Unfortunately, once a vote it cast I can't make it a public poll. I will have to delete these threads.

soitgoes...
01-11-2012, 02:28 AM
soitgoes... wait a minute! You aren't making the polls public. They have to have who voted viewable by everyone.

Unfortunately, once a vote it cast I can't make it a public poll. I will have to delete these threads.
Yeah, I never created a poll thread before. I'll redo them.

MadMan
01-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Neat forum, and it looks nice. I look forward to being able to participate finally somewhere around, say March or April :lol:

Raiders
01-11-2012, 02:54 AM
I have added a mod to the forum that shows who has voted for a film and if you click on it, it opens a new window showing all votes by rating.

Unfortunately, for the moment this pane is showing across all threads in all forums. I will try and amend the template to be applicable only to this forum.

EyesWideOpen
01-11-2012, 03:32 AM
Ok, just made two. Everything looks great. I like this idea. It's fun finding the poster I like the best to use. I really want to make one for Joyful Noise.

Spinal
01-11-2012, 04:03 AM
If all of that rating system bickering resulted in something this cool, I think it was well worth it.

Thirdmango
01-11-2012, 04:04 AM
so question on the star ratings, I noticed I can rate a film at the top of the thread, my question is, does everyone have this as an individual and then on the main page it averages it?

Derek
01-11-2012, 04:08 AM
so question on the star ratings, I noticed I can rate a film at the top of the thread, my question is, does everyone have this as an individual and then on the main page it averages it?

Yep. If you hover your mouse over the current star rating on the main forum page, it'll show you how many votes and the average out of 5. I'm not sure if there's anywhere else to get that info...obviously you get the yay/nay info inside the thread through the poll.

Rowland
01-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Oops, forgot to make my poll results public for my first attempt.

Kurosawa Fan
01-11-2012, 02:04 PM
This looks really great, Raiders. I'm really impressed. Well done.

Raiders
01-11-2012, 02:35 PM
This looks really great, Raiders. I'm really impressed. Well done.

I'm not terribly happy there are no partial stars and I'm not fond of the fact that the "View All" lists by poster and doesn't group by rating. A custom-design isn't terribly feasible at the moment unfortunately.

Derek
01-11-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm not terribly happy there are no partial stars and I'm not fond of the fact that the "View All" lists by poster and doesn't group by rating. A custom-design isn't terribly feasible at the moment unfortunately.

I could add a thread that keeps a somewhat up to date count of the overall "out of 5" ratings for all the films. It's not too bad to just hover over the stars for each film at this point, but once we hit 30-40 films, it'll be more and more of a pain.

Is there any way to see/track who gave what star rating to a given film/thread?

Raiders
01-11-2012, 03:24 PM
I could add a thread that keeps a somewhat up to date count of the overall "out of 5" ratings for all the films. It's not too bad to just hover over the stars for each film at this point, but once we hit 30-40 films, it'll be more and more of a pain.

Is there any way to see/track who gave what star rating to a given film/thread?

What do you mean? The Members Who Rated bar is at the top of each thread. If you click "View All" it shows you all individual ratings.

That's the feature I was bitching about not grouping by rating.

Derek
01-11-2012, 03:38 PM
What do you mean? The Members Who Rated bar is at the top of each thread. If you click "View All" it shows you all individual ratings.

That's the feature I was bitching about not grouping by rating.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the yay/nay, which confused me even more. I'm a little slow.

TGM
01-11-2012, 04:52 PM
So I take it with this new format that all ratings are final, huh?

Also, it may have been mentioned, and sorry if it has been, but will there be any kind of master list showing all the movies of the year and who all yay/nay'ed it, such as the first post in the 2011 thread?

Raiders
01-11-2012, 05:04 PM
So I take it with this new format that all ratings are final, huh?

Also, it may have been mentioned, and sorry if it has been, but will there be any kind of master list showing all the movies of the year and who all yay/nay'ed it, such as the first post in the 2011 thread?

No, I just changed it so that you can re-vote for a thread. As for the yay/nay, I can change this upon request.

There will be some form of master list; I haven't fully determined how much data can go into it.

Raiders
01-11-2012, 05:25 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT: The Attenberg thread's poll is not public. Many have voted and rated the film. Please re-submit your votes and ratings in the new thread that will be up in a few moments.

Irish
01-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Wow, this is terrific. Well done!

transmogrifier
01-11-2012, 07:41 PM
The cool thing is that in the forum, you can click on "Rating" to get all the threads (and thus movies) listed in order of their average score, or you can click on "Thread" to get them in alphabetical order. Which means less need for a master thread, maybe?

Raiders
01-12-2012, 03:23 AM
I added the # votes and rating average to the top of the thread next to the rating drop-down so you don't have to hover over the rating to see the data.

DavidSeven
01-12-2012, 04:12 AM
The cool thing is that in the forum, you can click on "Rating" to get all the threads (and thus movies) listed in order of their average score, or you can click on "Thread" to get them in alphabetical order. Which means less need for a master thread, maybe?

I think it'd be nice to have a master thread for quick reference and to increase accessibility for eventual new posters.

The whole set up is looking promising so far. The entire forum seems a bit energized. Hope to see follow through over the next year on this because it's too good an idea to waste.

Edit: On second thought, I guess I could go either way on the existence of a master thread.

Raiders
01-12-2012, 05:02 PM
I moved the Rate This Film button and info to its own toolbar just below the poll box to make it more obvious and separate from the thread commands.

EyesWideOpen
01-12-2012, 10:14 PM
I moved the Rate This Film button and info to its own toolbar just below the poll box to make it more obvious and separate from the thread commands.

Looks great!

transmogrifier
01-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Since the stars were changed for the thread rating, I can no longer sort the threads by rating. When I click, it just says "Database Error". Is this happening to others?

Kurosawa Fan
01-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Same happens for me.

Thirdmango
01-16-2012, 03:58 PM
hey cool, when you vote or when you place the ratings the thread pops up to the top even if you didn't say anything in the thread. Neat.

eternity
01-17-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm seeing The Dictator tomorrow, but since it doesn't come out for another four months, would I post a thread in this board or just wait until it gets closer to its release?

transmogrifier
01-17-2012, 11:03 PM
I say make the thread. Advanced word is always good. But it's really up to you.

Ezee E
01-18-2012, 12:07 AM
New thread.

Thirdmango
01-18-2012, 01:50 AM
I am seeing about 4 or so sundance movies, some say 2011 some say 2012, should i start a new thread if it's listed as 2011 even though the first official time it is shown in the US is at Sundance 2012? Or should I wait until it is if ever released in the US beyond just sundance.

Examples: Arriety is listed on IMDB as 2010 but the US version is coming out in 2012 thus we have it as 2012.

Abraxas, a movie I saw at Sundance last year from Japan has still yet to be released in The US and will likely never be released here thus it still has 2010 on my documents of it.

transmogrifier
01-18-2012, 03:01 AM
We could just hold off on new threads until a release date is set, because no-one else will be able to watch it until then anyway. Once we know that others will get a chance to add to the consensus, make the the thread. So eternity starting one for The Dictator works because it has a release date in 2012.

But...I don't know. Moving threads between years shouldn't be too tough. I think it's better for higher minds than me to make the final call.

soitgoes...
01-18-2012, 03:23 AM
If a film has a 2012 US release date scheduled, I see no reason why a film shouldn't get its own thread whenever it is first seen by somebody. Just as trans has said even if the film gets bumped back to 2013 it should be easy enough for a mod to move it into that future subforum.

transmogrifier
01-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Stars look way better. Kudos!

Dukefrukem
02-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I friggin love how you can sort this forum by RATING.

But I miss seeing Eze's list of people whos seen movies on one page.

Lucky
02-10-2012, 05:53 AM
I friggin love how you can sort this forum by RATING.

Cool observation, that will be an interesting aspect to watch develop throughout the year.

Raiders
02-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Announcement:

You can now change your poll vote. The link is at the bottom of the poll results window.

TGM
02-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Hey, would it be possible to change it back so that the threads get bumped to the top whenever someone votes on them? Makes it easier to update the other thread.

TGM
02-24-2012, 08:51 AM
^ So, any possibility for that, or is that a no?

Raiders
02-24-2012, 01:33 PM
I can change it back, but it seemed to irritate a lot of people that the threads were bumped when there was no new post (the last post date also updates without any actual new post--it is rather confusing). Unfortunately there isn't a way to distinguish why the thread was bumped.

I can offer to pull, every couple of days, a database listing of the new poll votes and PM it to you.

TGM
02-24-2012, 05:07 PM
I can offer to pull, every couple of days, a database listing of the new poll votes and PM it to you.

Sure, we could do that. I wasn't aware that people were getting irritated by the bumps, though I suppose I can see why it'd be frustrating.

eternity
07-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Does Detention count as 2012, even though it's on IMDB as 2011 because of film festivals? Didn't come out anywhere until this year.

eternity
07-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Highest Score (with 5+ ratings) as of 7/22/12:

1. Moonrise Kingdom
2. This Is Not A Film
3. Oslo, August 31st
4. Goodbye First Love
5. The Deep Blue Sea
6. The Raid: Redemption
7. The Turin Horse
8. The Kid with a Bike
9. The Day He Arrives
10. The Avengers
11. Magic Mike
12. The Grey
13. Damsels in Distress
14. The Cabin in the Woods
15. The Dark Knight Rises
16. Snowtown
17. The Pirates! Band of Misfits
18. 21 Jump Street
19. The Secret World of Arrietty
20. Safety Not Guaranteed

Dukefrukem
10-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Would the Hole (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1085779/) be classified as 2012?

Watashi
01-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Are we going to have a 2013 database soon?

Ezee E
01-03-2013, 01:54 AM
Are we going to have a 2013 database soon?
Hopefully we can get the new version of vB up shortly.

EyesWideOpen
03-06-2013, 03:06 AM
not really sure how we're handling stuff like Ace Attorney which is in all reality never going to get a US theatrical release and still does not have a region 1 dvd release.

Thirdmango
03-06-2013, 11:31 PM
I know a lot of obscure movies probably shouldn't be put on, but since it's Miike and Phoenix Wright, I'm pretty sure a bunch of people on here will be searching it out, and eventually watching it.

EyesWideOpen
03-06-2013, 11:37 PM
I know a lot of obscure movies probably shouldn't be put on, but since it's Miike and Phoenix Wright, I'm pretty sure a bunch of people on here will be searching it out, and eventually watching it.

I agree. I was just wondering if we were planning on having any set rule regarding this or if we were just going to see on a movie-by-movie basis. I know we've been doing DTV stuff now which we weren't doing in the beginning and putting it in the year it comes out on dvd.

Thirdmango
03-09-2013, 04:59 AM
Yeah I'm cool with DTV stuff, especially the ones that are on comcast and such for a little more since they're not getting any wide release. I've been tempted to put on Lay The Favorite for a while now since it's terrible and I want to make sure people don't watch it.