PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Noir (Frank Darabont)

Ezee E
01-10-2012, 12:06 AM
TNT has ordered a pilot for L.A. Noir, a new drama series from executive producers Frank Darabont (The Walking Dead, The Shawshank Redemption), Michael De Luca (The Social Network, Moneyball) and Elliot Webb (Tall Time Tales). The project from TNT Original Productions is based on John Buntin’s critically acclaimed book L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America’s Most Seductive City, which chronicles the epic battle between Los Angeles Police Chief William Parker and mobster Mickey Cohen. Alissa Phillips (Moneyball) of Michael De Luca Productions serves as co-executive producer. Darabont is set to write and direct the pilot.

“The story of L.A. Noir is inspired by an incredibly dramatic period in the history of Los Angeles," said Michael Wright, executive vice president, head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). "This project is a sweeping tale of the battle for the soul of the city that was waged between the forces of the LAPD and the West Coast mob. We’re thrilled to be working with Frank Darabont and Michael De Luca, two award-winning storytellers behind some of the most entertaining films of the past two decades, as they to bring this intense and exciting crime-drama to TNT.”

“Noir is a passion of mine, so I feel blessed to delve into a project that speaks in the hardboiled vernacular,” said Darabont. “John Buntin’s superb book, though non-fiction, is our touchstone and inspiration for the stories we’ll be telling, weaving fiction throughout the facts and facts throughout the fiction. The book provides elements that are irresistible, a big canvas with endless possibilities. The goal is to deliver on the tone that the title L.A. Noir promises: a smart, gritty, authentic, period noir drama. Also a blessing is the warm welcome we’ve gotten from Michael Wright and TNT, a great bunch of folks with huge enthusiasm for the source material. The best bonus of all is getting to work with my friend Mike De Luca. He’s terrific, a tremendously smart and talented producer, a gem. Partnering with him on this marvelous project after knowing him for so many years is an absolute treat for me.”

“It has been a personal dream of mine to work with Frank Darabont since he was kind of enough to become my friend when we met in the late 1980s," said De Luca. "He’s been an inspiration to me ever since. There is no one working at his level today who puts more integrity and humanity into their efforts to create lasting and original entertainment. This rich source material is a perfect fit for his talents, and we’re grateful to Michael Wright and TNT for this amazing opportunity.”

L.A. Noir is the true story of a decades-long conflict between the Los Angeles Police Department, under the determined leadership of Police Chief William Parker, and ruthless criminal elements led by Mickey Cohen, a one-time boxer who rose to the top of L.A.’s criminal world. The series is a fast-paced crime drama set in Los Angeles during the 1940s and '50s. It's a world of glamorous movie stars, powerful studio heads, returning war heroes, a powerful and corrupt police force and an even more dangerous criminal network determined to make L.A. its West Coast base.

Darabont’s extraordinary career includes three Oscar nominations – one for writing the sleeper hit The Shawshank Redemption and two for writing and producing The Green Mile. Darabont also has the distinction of being one of only six directors in the history of the Oscars to have his first two movies each receive Best Picture nominations. He recently earned his third Directors Guild of America Award nomination for directing the pilot of the series The Walking Dead, for which he also served as executive producer.

De Luca’s extensive big-screen credits as executive producer include such high-profile films as Boogie Nights, Wag the Dog, Dark City, Pleasantville, American History X, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, Magnolia and Hedwig and the Angry Inch. As a producer, he earned an Oscar nomination for The Social Network and produced the acclaimed 2011 film Moneyball.

L.A. Noir is the latest project to join TNT's rapidly expanding development slate. The network recently ordered a pilot for Chelsea General (working title), a new medical drama series from award-winning producer David E. Kelley and practicing neurosurgeon and CNN chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta, M.D. The project is based on Gupta’s upcoming novel Monday Mornings.

In September, TNT ordered a pilot for Scent of the Missing from CBS Television Studios. Based on Susannah Charleson’s book about an adrenaline junkie who leads a canine search-and-rescue team, the pilot stars Tricia Helfer, Gerald McRaney, Eric Winter and Summer Glau. And in August, TNT ordered a pilot for Gateway from Warner Horizon Television. The Western saga involves three brothers who step in to save their town when their father, the town sheriff, is murdered. The brothers are pitted against a corrupt cattle baron who is determined to make the town his own. The cast includes Cam Gigandet, Keir O’Donnell, David Denman, Karen Allen, Ana De La Reguera, Keith Carradine

It had me at Darabont.

Dukefrukem
01-10-2012, 12:39 AM
really?

number8
01-10-2012, 12:55 AM
really?

I'm gonna guess you didn't read E's post and just assumed it's based on the video game.

Irish
01-10-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm gonna guess you didn't read E's post and just assumed it's based on the video game.

On reading the title, I wondered if this was going to be an adaptation of the game.

On reading the text, I wondered why in god's name anybody would hire Darabont for a writing/producing gig on television.

megladon8
01-10-2012, 01:08 AM
On reading the title, I wondered if this was going to be an adaptation of the game.

On reading the text, I wondered why in god's name anybody would hire Darabont for a writing/producing gig on television.

The episodes of "The Walking Dead" that he worked on directly (particularly the pilot) have yet to be bested.

number8
01-10-2012, 01:13 AM
The episodes of "The Walking Dead" that he worked on directly (particularly the pilot) have yet to be bested.

I think Irish is referring to his rep as being very difficult to work with. AMC, after all, found him so annoying that they fired him.

Dukefrukem
01-10-2012, 01:14 AM

If it were based on the video game it would be L.A. Noire.

ledfloyd
01-10-2012, 06:21 AM
i would've been far more excited about this if the walking dead didn't exist.

MadMan
01-10-2012, 08:05 PM
These days I would rather see modern day neo-noir than faux film noir set in the 1950s. Although I will admit that L.A. Noire was a pretty cool video game.

Dukefrukem
02-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Casting News (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/53733). But don't click on it if you're deeply involved in the Walking Dead.

Morris Schæffer
08-01-2012, 05:55 PM
This still comes out this year?

I just found out that apparently Simon Pegg is going to be in it. Also, and this is really cool, the main protagonist, LA Police Chief William Parker, will be played by Neal McDonough. He was great in Justified.

EvilShoe
08-01-2012, 08:08 PM
As far as I know Bernthal and Ventimiglia are the protagonists. Also: Pegg it seems is just there for the pilot.

Walking Dead Spoiler
I suppose the casting of Bernthal and Munn also reveals which actors were definitely sticking up for Darabont when he was fired from Walking Dead.

Raiders
08-02-2012, 01:14 PM
This still comes out this year?

As far as I know, they have only done the pilot (not even clear if that has been screened) with no series order yet, though I think it is highly expected TNT will pick it up. Seems likely for a 2013 premiere though.

number8
08-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Walking Dead Spoiler
I suppose the casting of Bernthal and Munn also reveals which actors were definitely sticking up for Darabont when he was fired from Walking Dead.

Yeah, the kid who plays Carl confirmed it in an interview. De Munn was really pissed when Darabont was fired and told the other actors "I'm outta here." They definitely used that to their advantage, though.

EvilShoe
08-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Yeah, the kid who plays Carl confirmed it in an interview. De Munn was really pissed when Darabont was fired and told the other actors "I'm outta here." They definitely used that to their advantage, though.
Definitely. Although the writers did spin it so it seemed as if they were doing it to move away from the comic book. I hope (regardless of the why's) this encourages them to take more liberties.

number8
10-17-2012, 07:27 PM
http://turner.tekgroup.com/images/10001/22451_001_03874_R.jpg

6 episodes ordered.

Interesting bit: the series is still untitled. TNT doesn't want to call it LA Noir.

dreamdead
08-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW-WF313Ljo

Meh.

Dukefrukem
08-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Not in black and white? Pass.

MadMan
08-14-2013, 04:35 AM
That trailer was....okay. I'm with Duke: no black and white? Although I guess the game switched often from black and white to color if I remember correctly.

number8
08-14-2013, 04:36 AM
Wait... Are you still under the impression that this is based on the game? They changed the title so as to avoid that confusion.

Morris Schæffer
08-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Looks pretty damn great. Isn't TNT a cable channel, meaning no explicit violence can be shown? I recall in the nineties, when I was in the USA, there wasn't a lot of it shown, but it's more of a vague recollection.

Anyhow, Mob City is about as uninspired a title as it gets.

Dukefrukem
08-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Looks pretty damn great. Isn't TNT a cable channel, meaning no explicit violence can be shown? I recall in the nineties, when I was in the USA, there wasn't a lot of it shown, but it's more of a vague recollection.

Anyhow, Mob City is about as uninspired a title as it gets.

Have you seen what's been shown on FX for the past decade?

Morris Schæffer
08-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Have you seen what's been shown on FX for the past decade?

yeah, but I didn't know FX was regular cable. What about AMC? Is that regular cable also?

number8
08-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Yes.

Morris Schæffer
08-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Yes.

I remember watching violent movies back in the 90's and how they were censored. John McClane's infamous sandwich sign in Die Hard 3, that originally said "I hate niggers" became "I hate everybody". The channel might have been ABC, CBS or FOX, I don't exactly remember, but have those laws been loosened or are some cable channels typically more, well, adventurous than others?

Dukefrukem
08-16-2013, 02:12 PM
I remember watching violent movies back in the 90's and how they were censored. John McClane's infamous sandwich sign in Die Hard 3, that originally said "I hate niggers" became "I hate everybody". The channel might have been ABC, CBS or FOX, I don't exactly remember, but have those laws been loosened or are some cable channels typically more, well, adventurous than others?

It's cable. They can do anything they want. It all comes down to who's buying advertising and who approves/disapproves of content.

Raiders
08-16-2013, 02:20 PM
It's cable. They can do anything they want. It all comes down to who's buying advertising and who approves/disapproves of content.

It's basic cable, not premium programming (like HBO). There are obscene / profanity laws governed by the FCC, though they aren't monitoring as much as responding to complaints. Still, there are some things you won't see. Full frontal nudity, for example. So far, "fuck" isn't being uttered and I doubt racial slurs are OK, though maybe allowable after 10pm.

But generally speaking, it's true that late (post 9pm or 10pm) basic cable programming is pretty advanced beyond where TV was 10 or 15 years ago.

number8
08-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Yes, they still censor movies on basic cable. Comedy Central, for example, shows the "this is what happens when you meet a stranger in the alps" version of Big Lebowski.

MadMan
08-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Wait... Are you still under the impression that this is based on the game? They changed the title so as to avoid that confusion.Ah. I didn't know that. I do wish they had gone with a better title, that's for sure.