PDA

View Full Version : Music First Listened To In 2012

Thirdmango
01-03-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm gonna try doing it like this since I do listen to so much music. I'll probably then rank the 4 stars at the end of the year.

4 stars

3.5 stars

3 stars

Megadeth -- Rust In Peace (90)

2.5 stars

2 stars

Megadeth -- Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good (85)
Megadeth -- Hidden Treasures (95)
Megadeth -- Risk (99)

1.5 stars

Megadeth -- Countdown To Extinction (92)

1 star

.5 star

0 stars

Derek
01-03-2012, 02:37 PM
You should use RateYourMusic (http://rateyourmusic.com/). Great for keeping track of everything you listen to and making lists on. Plus, I've gotten tons of great recommendations from the site.

MadMan
01-05-2012, 06:13 AM
You should use RateYourMusic (http://rateyourmusic.com/). Great for keeping track of everything you listen to and making lists on. Plus, I've gotten tons of great recommendations from the site.I just signed up for that. Looks cool, and I was wondering if a site that enabled you to keep track of what you've heard actually existed, like a Criticker of sorts for music.

Thirdmango
01-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Heh, all I can say is Gym and Skyrim and no school. :D

4 stars

The Brothers Johnson -- Light Up The Night (80)

3.5 stars

Albert King -- Born Under A Bad Sign (67)
The Brothers Johnson -- Look Out For #1 (76)
The Brothers Johnson -- Blam!!(78)

3 stars

Megadeth -- Rust In Peace (90)
Tool -- Lateralus (01)

2.5 stars

Anglagard -- Hybris (92)
The Beach Boys -- Sunflower (70)
The Brothers Johnson -- Right On Time (77)
Megadeth -- Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? (86)

2 stars

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe -- Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (89)
The Beach Boys -- Pet Sounds (66)
The Beach Boys -- Surf's Up (71)
Megadeth -- Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good (85)
Megadeth -- Hidden Treasures (95)
Megadeth -- Risk (99)
Tool -- Ænima (96)

1.5 stars

Alanis Morissette -- Jagged Little Pill (95)
Alexander "Skip" Spence -- Oar (69)
The Beach Boys -- Surfin' USA (63)
The Beach Boys -- All Summer Long (64)
Megadeth -- Countdown To Extinction (92)
The Pixies -- Bossanova (90)
Presidents of The United States of America -- Presidents of The United States of America (95)

1 star

The Beach Boys -- Surfer Girl (63)
The Beach Boys -- Little Deuce Coupe (63)
The Beach Boys -- Shut Down Volume 2 (64)
Tool -- 10,000 Days (06)

.5 star

Amiina -- AnimaminA (04)

0 stars

ThePlashyBubbler
01-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Are those one-time listens, generally?

transmogrifier
01-08-2012, 07:28 AM
You severely undervalue Tool. To compensate, I'm going to listen to them now, loud.

Derek
01-08-2012, 07:51 AM
The 1.5 for Bossanova is the one stumping me.

transmogrifier
01-08-2012, 08:09 AM
The 1.5 for Bossanova is the one stumping me.

I missed that. I call shenanigans on this list. Shenanigans, I say!

Thirdmango
01-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Are those one-time listens, generally?

Yeah. It's basically first impression thoughts. I'm generally not going to give something a second listen unless it's 3.5 or 4 on the first listen. I'm the same in the movie section, movies first watched I'm rating them on one viewing not more then one. But if I really like some of the tracks they'll go into my workout mix and I'll likely hear them again. Also remember, the name of this thread is First Listened to...

Tool's Lateralus was the only one that seemed to have any value to it. The thing I dislike about it is they're still trying to sound like a prog-rock version of Staind. I think they're going to be a loud band and then they do a 10 minute I'm quiet and always building like I'm going to be loud but I never get loud.

Also I simply don't get The Pixies. I don't understand why people like them. Of course when you remember that I pretty much hate indie bands, I can't stand singer songwriter and I don't comprehend lyrics until after I've listened to it 10 times, a band like the Pixies is never going to catch me at least I don't think they will. It's too soft and droney. I am trying to give them a fair shake and I'm going to try Doolittle next, and I love the TV on the Radio cover of Mr. Grieves. I'm not setting high hopes though.