PDA

View Full Version : Boss

Lucky
10-22-2011, 05:48 AM
Strong premiere. Van Sant's work has never resonated much with me, but I have always admired his style. This is the first time I've thoroughly enjoyed a piece he has directed. I think The Wire comparisons are a stretch. Boss lacks the poetic realism but has an intriguing cinematic quality instead. Perhaps that was thanks to Van Sant, but it's something I hope carries on in future episodes. The leads are superb and one of the main reasons to watch, and the supporting cast is mostly good except I had a negative first impression about the actor who plays Zajac. The script was a bit monologue heavy which weighed down the pacing, but at the same time it offered a strong sense of characterization in an hour's time. The plot wasn't especially impressive, but this seems like a project striving for a slow burn. Setting and characters will be its forte, and a cast of characters it has. I'm biased, but the Chicago setting is an ideal backdrop for this show. Mara, I know how you feel when you watch The Wire now. I hope this show can deliver, it definitely has the possibility of turning into something special. If nothing else, Grammer and Nielsen are sure to be recognized for this.

Who else watched?

Lucky
10-22-2011, 05:58 AM
Also, the piano piece they used throughout the pilot (including the end credits) is a personal favorite.

PLFVGwGQcB0

Irish
10-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I have to disagree across the board, Luck. This is was bland. Hollywood silliness on top of stock characters and a bunch of walking archetypes (personal favorite: the executive secretary who looks, dresses and acts like she just sprang fully formed from the pages of Penthouse Forum).

Every scene played out exactly as you'd expect it to. Every charcter was cookie cutter bland. It's like they took The Wire and cautiously revolved every insight into politics, bureaucracy, cities, and human nature. You could practically feel the writers striving to be thoughtful and profound (and failing miserably).

Van Sant's idea of direction was to pile extreme close on top of extreme close up. He came dangerously close to shoving a camera up Kelsey Grammar's nose and waving it around. It had a curiously inexperienced I-went-to-film-school aesthetic.

Starz trying to peddle their version of Chicago Code in the middle of Occupy Wall Street seems willfully clueless. But maybe it's just bad timing. I can't imagine who they hope to reach with this.