PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood

number8
08-01-2011, 04:16 PM
About time we have a thread, no?

Anyway, it's becoming increasingly obvious that Miracle Day will not be anywhere near as good as Children of Earth. Still, I really liked the 4th episode. C. Thomas Howell was creepy and Bill Pullman's cheesy politician speech was perfectly slimy. A great subverting of his famous Independence Day moment.

number8
08-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Episode 5 looks like it might be the best yet. I really hope the final stretch of this season would ramp it up.

NKxsw1LPNFM

number8
08-01-2011, 04:39 PM
BTW, Starz posted the entire Comic-Con panel:

nPF-oOEFMa8

number8
08-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Match-Cut, y u no discuss?

[ETM]
08-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm working on something, so my g/f and I have only seen up to episode 3.
She's not feeling it yet, and is watching just for Jack and Gwen, and hoping for more Torchwood and less US procedural in the coming episodes. I'm more forgiving but the season is definitely dragging its feet with the Torchwoodness of it. I'm frustrated with the silent treatment the n00b audiences are getting regarding Torchwood's previous adventures. Sure, plenty of references and name dropping, but not enough substance, and not enough reasons for anyone but us fans to care.

number8
08-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Here's something interesting. Starz's president said that another season of Torchwood is completely up to Russell T. Davies. As in, they're not that concerned about the slumpy ratings of Miracle Day.

Because the framework is a standalone miniseries for each season, Starz never looked to Torchwood as a continuing yearly program. Instead, they're saying that whenever RTD has another story in mind for another mini, they'll make another one.

Irish
08-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Match-Cut, y u no discuss?

Posts from Mara and ETM pretty much killed my interest in this show. I was never an enormous fan of the UK version, but liked the principals and some of the episodes well enough to DVR the current episodes.

I don't agree with a lot of their opinions in a lot of instances, but when Mara posts breakdowns of episodes saying they weren't very good and ETM posts what he just posted, well, I know I'll just delete what I have stored without watching.

Thirdmango
08-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm watching it but like many the overall concept is brilliant. I love it, but the delivery so far hasn't been as good as I would like it to be. I'm sure once a couple more episodes go by I'll have more to say on it.

Mara
08-03-2011, 05:03 PM
I've been lazy and I'm just watching the episode now.

I don't like Mekhi's character, and his acting isn't great, either. He's obvious and boring.

Gwen, however, continues charming. I totally love her. It's just like her to lie about the weather to make it seem worse.

Mara
08-03-2011, 05:06 PM
:lol: @ Gwen's American accent and idioms.

"Hot diggity!"

Mara
08-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Okay, this episode was a definite step up. Much more exciting, interesting, and fun. Esther is too dumb to live, and Mekhi's "Fix It By Yelling" strategy is pretty much ridiculous. But good ol' Jack and Gwen were marvelous, I still find Oswald Danes interesting, and the redheaded lady is becoming less annoying and more subtle.

The political lady plot was unbelievable and pointless, though. Why make her Tea Party? That doesn't make any sense... no Tea-Partier would advocate government-funded plague hospitals. And nobody who loved someone who died would buy into her philosophy and abandon their family (and babies!)

I hope the next episode involves much Rhys heroics. More Rhys! More Rhys!

number8
08-03-2011, 06:23 PM
The interaction between Rex and Esther was definitely the most annoying part. It's hell watching an argument between two people where you do not want either to be in the right.

I AGREE, REX. ESTHER IS PASSIONATELY STUPID, BUT FUCKING LAY OFF. STOP YELLING.

number8
08-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Also, nice Doctor Who reference with Jack's alias.

Mara
08-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Also, nice Doctor Who reference with Jack's alias.

I missed it. What was it?

Realistically, I wish they would mention 1) Owen Harper, who was dead but couldn't die, and 2) Martha Jones, who is a doctor they love and trust and this season would be better with more Martha. Plus Mickey, if they ended up getting married after all.

And the mention of "The Family" made me think about The Family of Blood, but I doubt that's what they were referencing.

number8
08-03-2011, 06:30 PM
I missed it. What was it?

He introduced himself to Asian Computer Guy as "John Smith."

[ETM]
08-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Posts from Mara and ETM pretty much killed my interest in this show. I was never an enormous fan of the UK version, but liked the principals and some of the episodes well enough to DVR the current episodes.

I don't agree with a lot of their opinions in a lot of instances, but when Mara posts breakdowns of episodes saying they weren't very good and ETM posts what he just posted, well, I know I'll just delete what I have stored without watching.

What I saw was nowhere near up to full speed. I'm still watching because it's just the beginning, I'm just complaining that it's taking its sweet f-in' time.

[ETM]
08-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Caught up.

Holy crap on a stick?

Much, much better than the early eps. Several problems still linger, but overall - definitely picking up.

ledfloyd
08-06-2011, 11:51 PM
as much as i've been thinking i don't really care for any of the american characters i found those two scenes (strangely enough the first one was more painful than the second one for me) ridiculously affecting.

and i'm hoping that was the last oswald danes speech we'll have to listen to. he's just repeating himself at this point.

number8
08-07-2011, 09:31 PM
This episode addressed the issues I had with the first four eps, so I was definitely happy.

It's not a perfect explanation, but I liked the acknowledgement of why Rex keeps acting like the leader and Jack isn't as assertive as he was in the first three seasons. I was thinking that they'd address by saying he had an awakening or some sort in his travels after Children of Earth, but it looks like they're simply going with him feeling helpless. The scene with Esther babying him was nice, and felt old school Torchwood.

number8
08-07-2011, 09:35 PM
But also, man, the Godwin is strong with this one.

Mara
08-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Excellent. This is really finding a stride. The bit with the doctor being shot and burned was awful and affecting, since she was the only new TW member I could even remotely stand. I don't think this season can be another Children of Earth, but it is moving the mythology forward in an interesting way.

number8
08-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Kindly read if you have the time! (http://www.justpressplay.net/articles/8311-qtorchwood-miracle-dayq-is-redefining-sci-fi-television.html)

Mara
08-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Kindly read if you have the time! (http://www.justpressplay.net/articles/8311-qtorchwood-miracle-dayq-is-redefining-sci-fi-television.html)

I can tell you wrote something when you're all polite about asking.

BY THE WAY, I totally dreamed last night that we were roommates, which struck me as a little odd, but our apartment was FANTASTIC. My room was, like, the size of a ballroom.

number8
08-10-2011, 02:18 PM
I can tell you wrote something when you're all polite about asking.

READ IT OR I WILL PERSONALLY ENSURE YOUR BALLS MELT, YOU PUSSY.

BY THE WAY, I totally dreamed last night that we were roommates, which struck me as a little odd, but our apartment was FANTASTIC. My room was, like, the size of a ballroom.

I can predict certain things about us living together would be amazingly fun, while some others would not be as fun for you.

Mara
08-10-2011, 02:26 PM

OOOOH, great write-up. In fact, this write-up makes me think more highly of this season than I did before. It also really makes me want to go back and watch "Children of Earth" again. I had completely forgotten this quote:

“The man who appears out of nowhere and saves the world, except sometimes he doesn't. All those times in history where there was no sign of him, I wanted to know why not,” said a bitter and desperate Gwen. “I know the answer now. Sometimes, The Doctor must look at this planet and turn away in shame.”

Instead of being a spin-off of Doctor Who, it has completely inverted the entire world-view. Instead of being about optimism and the strength of humanity, it's the unfortunate flip-side: we are good people, except when we are not. We are kind of compassionate and forgiving, except when we are not. The show became especially nihilistic with Children of Earth, but it's always sort of been there.

That Davies quote is fantastic, too.

number8
08-10-2011, 02:33 PM
The show became especially nihilistic with Children of Earth, but it's always sort of been there.

Exactly. I realized this when I rewatched the whole series over before Miracle Day started. The first two seasons were considered the "lighter" seasons because of Children of Earth's overbearing bleakness, but the show has always had a misanthropic streak to it, and I love how it shows the Torchwood team basically fighting against that, because Jack wants to mold it in The Doctor's honor. There's optimism in the main characters, but it's always being attacked by the state of everything else.

Thanks for reading, btw.

Mara
08-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks for reading, btw.

It's what I do.

That quote of Gwen's kept reminding me of something, and I finally found it. It's in the DW episode "The Beast Below" when the Doctor figures out that the humans have enslaved the star whale, or whatever that creature was, and are torturing it. And his response is just utter disgust. Most of the time, he likes to drop hints about why he likes humans so much, but not in that episode.

Nobody talk to me! Nobody human has anything to say to me today!

number8
08-13-2011, 05:15 PM
GWEN COOPER FOR THE MOTHERFUCKING WIN.

Mara
08-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm halfway through. I have to pause and say that this feels more Torchwoody than the rest of the season. Gwen passionately moralizing to the doctor-- that's so Gwen! I love her. Jack flirting with the woman at the bar, and then groping the coat check boy-- that's so Jack! I love him. In fact, those two scenes told you much more about Jack's sexuality than that awkward scene with the bartender a few weeks back.

Ernie Hudson is a cool guy.

number8
08-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Well now I gotta wait for you to finish. Hurry up, time.

Mara
08-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Oh crap. The pen scene. I can't watch this. My hands keep covering the screen-- I can't help it!

THE SOUND EFFECTS ARE HORRIBLE.

Mara
08-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Did I mention how much I'm enjoying the call-back to Rhys' illustrious past as a lorry driver?

number8
08-15-2011, 05:11 PM
I love seeing Rhys appear in general.

Mara
08-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Okay, done, and pleased.

I still absolutely hate Esther and Rex, both of 'em. I actually liked Esther for half a second while she was fighting for her life, but then it was all dripping mascara and "I know you just got a pen stuck through your shattered heart, but YOU should drive."

But everything with Gwen and Jack and Rhys was gold. Gwen's charm radiates from the seeming disparities in her character: she can take the moral high ground while bombing up a concentration camp like a boss. She can hold her baby while shooting her gun out the window. Putting her in this impossible position at the end of the episode is going to make for some damn good television.

Mara
08-15-2011, 06:08 PM
But the real question is, would like like Rex if he was played by Enver? I... don't know. The character simply isn't very well-written, but the actor has some mad charm.

number8
08-15-2011, 06:39 PM
But the real question is, would like like Rex if he was played by Enver? I... don't know. The character simply isn't very well-written, but the actor has some mad charm.

Good question. I was thinking about this a while back. I think Enver would have knocked scenes of Rex in pain and confronting his father out of the park, and thus making him much more sympathetic by this point.

KK2.0
08-17-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm probably biased but enjoying the hell out of Miracle Day.

Crap, i'm such a fanboy i tryed to be friends with Eve Myles' character in Dragon Age 2 just because it was Gwen Cooper's voice! :facepalm:

[ETM]
08-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Okay, this was frakking awesome. Espenson often walks a fine line, but she pushed all the right buttons in a very complicated episode, and wow, Jack and Gwen literally knocked it out of the park.

number8
08-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah, that episode was goddamn perfect from start to finish.

That car scene, holy shit.

number8
08-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Can we talk about how great Eve Myles is? Because Eve Myles is great.

number8
08-22-2011, 06:10 PM
I even liked Rex and Esther in that episode. Rex finally yells about something we all want him to yell ("I'm sick of Torchwood acting like amateur clowns!") and Esther's competence level ratchets up to 11.

Also, Gwen kissing Rex in the cheek as a thank you made me skip a beat. That right there. That's the kind of workplace affection that set Torchwood apart from other team-based TV shows.

KK2.0
08-23-2011, 09:45 PM
best episode so far?

-i'm blown away by the gay romance, barrowman was great but his co-star was a little unconfortable, it's maybe the best of it's kind i've seen on television since Six Feet Under.
-the creature in a box scene was pure torchwood camp, love it!
-and the Doctor reference!

Can we talk about how great Eve Myles is? Because Eve Myles is great.

She is great. Hopefully this opens up more gigs for her in america.

Even on Dragon Age 2 she steals every moment (but she ended up hating me in the game, not her fault, every character in that game does stupid shit).

number8
08-24-2011, 03:31 PM
I can't believe Mara hasn't seen it yet.

number8
08-24-2011, 03:32 PM
-and the Doctor reference!

Three of them, really.

Mara
08-24-2011, 05:35 PM
I can't believe Mara hasn't seen it yet.

Caught up, been very busy.

I liked it, for the most part. It was pure Torchwood-- the crazy worm in the box, time-jumping, gruesome repeated death-torture, general rapscallion behavior-- but then that scene in the car where Jack and Gwen confess their love while swearing to kill one another was just brilliant. Rex and Esther were actually interesting for once, for the three seconds they were on screen. No Oswald Danes and no endless discussions of the repercussions of Miracle Day... and it was stronger for it.

The flashbacks dragged. I understand we have to get emotionally invested in Angelo for whatever pay-off they're devising, but if that's true I wish they had seeded one scene of flashback in each episode up until now, instead of cramming them together. (Plus, it would have been a nice diversion in the early episodes, which felt repetitive.)

And was it just me, or was the music really strange this episode? Especially in the flashback scenes?

number8
08-24-2011, 05:51 PM
I really liked the payoff of the flashback relationship because of its implication to Jack/Ianto.

What this shows, especially Jack's goodbye to Angelo, is that Jack always chases after lovers and when they truly find out who Jack is, they eventually turn on him and break his heart ("Guys like you... You kill me.") This might even be the reason why Jack tried to avoid being "a couple" with Ianto.

Ianto was the only one who actually chased after Jack and didn't turn on him even though he knew Jack's nature. Ianto was worried that he was just a blip in time, and this implies that Ianto was special. They probably couldn't say that in the episode in order to be new viewers friendly, but I dunno, that's what the whole Angelo thing made me think about.

number8
08-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Also, just to be clear since no one's mentioned it and just said "creature in the box" so far... but y'all are aware that that's the same parasite that took over Donna in "Turn Left," yes?

[ETM]
08-24-2011, 05:53 PM
And was it just me, or was the music really strange this episode? Especially in the flashback scenes?

I firmly believe music is the real weakest link of Miracle Day. It ranges from okay to downright baffling.

Mara
08-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Ianto was the only one who actually chased after Jack and didn't turn on him even though he knew Jack's nature. Ianto was worried that he was just a blip in time, and this implies that Ianto was special. They probably couldn't say that in the episode in order to be new viewers friendly, but I dunno, that's what the whole Angelo thing made me think about.

I thought about Ianto a little bit, and also about the entire idea of companions. Jack is part of a team, now, but we know from flashbacks that he always used to be a loner. It's interesting to watch the development of seeing other people not just as temporary flings, but as people he wants to keep close when things get rough.

number8
08-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Also, just to be clear since no one's mentioned it and just said "creature in the box" so far... but y'all are aware that that's the same parasite that took over Donna in "Turn Left," yes?

Also, there's an Italian guy named Colasanto in "Turn Left." I'm pretty sure Angelo and him are intended to be related.

Mara
08-24-2011, 05:58 PM

It was the same people behind it (The Trickster's Brigade) but not the same parasite, I don't think. Because this was a worm, and Donna's was a beetle.

number8
08-24-2011, 06:00 PM
It was the same people behind it (The Trickster's Brigade) but not the same parasite, I don't think. Because this was a worm, and Donna's was a beetle.

Oh, I forgot that. You're right. I think the general plot being the same made me think it was the same thing.

Mara
08-24-2011, 06:01 PM
I can't forget it, because I had nightmares about a beetle on my back. Yiiiikes.

Mara
08-24-2011, 06:03 PM
"There's something on your back."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/doctor_who_left4.jpg

*runs and hides*

number8
08-24-2011, 06:06 PM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp5s75lTZS1qgks2to1_500 .png

Mara
08-24-2011, 06:25 PM
THE MASTER OF DEATH!

That is... insanely hilarious.

KK2.0
08-25-2011, 04:56 AM
Wish I was more familiar with Doctor Who lore but wtf

and

that phicorp warehouse was bigger on the inside, like Tardis o.0'

Mara
08-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Mmm. I continue to have mixed feelings on this season. There's so much good, but I feel like it's having trouble being any kind of cohesive whole.

Still, I teared up a little bit when they mentioned Ianto. And the more troublesome Gwen gets, the more I love her.

And I'm not wrong, am I, that they turned Jack gay? He's been called gay a number of times in this series, and he hasn't objected to the term. Personally, I liked having his sexuality be a little more complex.

Esther is seven kinds of useless.

[ETM]
08-28-2011, 09:25 PM
And I'm not wrong, am I, that they turned Jack gay? He's been called gay a number of times in this series, and he hasn't objected to the term. Personally, I liked having his sexuality be a little more complex.

It's bothering me too... he should be attracted to every (gorgeous) living organism in the universe.

number8
08-29-2011, 12:02 PM
They sort of has. Not canonically, but RTD said that before the season started. He was asked if they're gonna have to tone down Jack's homosexual tendencies for US audiences, and he said it's actually the opposite... US audiences are probably going to mistake him as being gay.

number8
08-30-2011, 02:50 PM
By the way, the Star Trek crossover in this episode was fun.

KK2.0
09-01-2011, 12:07 AM
They sort of has. Not canonically, but RTD said that before the season started. He was asked if they're gonna have to tone down Jack's homosexual tendencies for US audiences, and he said it's actually the opposite... US audiences are probably going to mistake him as being gay.

Jack's gay romances were a lot more pronunciated in old Torchwood as well, but perhaps they intentionally increase it this season exactly to confront the notion that they had to tone it down. But i loved when Gwen rebutted Rex's slightly homophobic comment with: "Get out of your cave!" ^^

number8
09-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Rhys is still adorable.

Rex is still an ass.

number8
09-05-2011, 02:32 AM
Gwen Cooper can beat me up anytime.

Mara
09-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Caught up. This season has been so uneven, but this episode was one of the good ones. Great idea to flash forward, and set everything up for the final episode.

Esther was briefly useful, but then fell into her old ways again. When Gwen's house gets stormed, she sits at her laptop like, "Oh, armed men... hmm. That makes me mildly uncomfortable."

For some reason, I kept being reminded of Buffy/Angel quotes this episode, particularly:

Xander: Why blood? Why I mean, why couldn't it be like a, a lymph ritual?

Spike: 'Cause it's always got to be blood.

and

Spike: There's a hole in the world. Feels like we ought to have known.

:lol:

number8
09-07-2011, 06:03 PM
All I know is that when I saw the giant vagina chasm, I was secretly hoping that the climax of the last episode is Jack fucking the Earth to normal. He's the only one that can.

Mara
09-07-2011, 06:15 PM
the giant vagina chasm

Note I refrained from calling it this.

Still, if his blood opened it...

...ew.

Mara
09-07-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure if this was a coincidence or a deliberate call-back, but I'm fairly certain that the pizza boxes Gwen uses to smuggle drugs are from the same pizzeria that she used to smuggle herself into Torchwood for the first time. I remember the Italian flag logo.

Mara
09-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Apparently, yes. It's "Jubilee Pizza" and it has shown up all through TW and Doctor Who, and I just noticed. Dur.

Thirdmango
09-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Alrighty. I had a backlog of these episodes, had gotten behind and just now this morning watched from episode 6 until episode 9 and now the last episode will be tomorrow. I agree the season as a whole has been a bit inconsistent but still very good.

Star Trek is what got me into television and it's one of the few shows where I know every actors name and will spot them when they show up in credits. So seeing Nana Visitor and John DeLancie I got excited. Kira and Q having a moment made me quite gleeful.

I love the implications of good vs. evil in this show, simply because everyone believes they are the good guy except maybe Oswald, who just doesn't know what to do with himself.

number8
09-08-2011, 07:22 PM
I wished really really hard.

e4mBG17NdVw

Thirdmango
09-08-2011, 09:07 PM
One of the other things I'm loving is anytime they show ass it's only John Barrowman's ass. They make sure no one's ass can be seen even when he's sexing those guys. Just John.

KK2.0
09-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I think Rhys showed more ass on past seasons, John wants to make up for that. :D

Oh season finale is upon us, I usually wait until monday so the fansubbers can upload the subtitles but I think i'll watch it today, can't wait!

number8
09-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm really anxious about tonight for some reason. I mean, this could very well be the last Torchwood ever.

[ETM]
09-10-2011, 02:10 PM
No. Just... no. That was all wrong. Davies has officially ruined "Torchwood".:|

number8
09-10-2011, 07:23 PM
What?

What?!

What.

number8
09-10-2011, 07:27 PM
I totally loved Oswald's final speech. So wrong. :lol:

number8
09-10-2011, 07:28 PM
I was reading comments and someone said "Face of Bro" and I just laughed like a maniac.

[ETM]
09-10-2011, 07:28 PM
I totally loved Oswald's final speech. So wrong. :lol:

Yeah, it was all kinds of wrong, but his character development has been so muddled, they could have had him crying for his mother at that point with the same credibility.

I was reading comments and someone said "Face of Bro" and I just laughed like a maniac.

:D

number8
09-10-2011, 07:38 PM
;371451']Yeah, it was all kinds of wrong, but his character development has been so muddled, they could have had him crying for his mother at that point with the same credibility.

They did bungle him pretty hard, which is why I'm glad that at the end they decided to just make him Creepy Pedophile Uncle Tagalong and play up the black humor. I loved that in the last episode he was just standing in the corner making puns when things are serious ("They say count your blessings!") and I think that "bad little girls go to hell" speech is the perfect way for him to go out.

Thirdmango
09-10-2011, 08:26 PM
;371424']No. Just... no. That was all wrong. Davies has officially ruined "Torchwood".:|

Huh?

I liked it.

number8
09-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Huh?

I liked it.

I think he's talking about the fact that Rex might stick around Torchwood forever now.

[ETM]
09-10-2011, 09:26 PM
No, I pretty much hated the way they wrapped everything up... or didn't. It's similar, though less extreme, to the general reaction to "The Killing" finale: I stuck through the lukewarm stuff hoping for a good finale, and it not only fizzled - it was an almost complete fail.

Mara
09-11-2011, 02:24 AM
I didn't think it was a complete fail-- I actually thought it was pretty interesting, if overblown and melodramatic... but hey, that's Torchwood.

The idea of Immortal Rex is a horrifying one, though. I guess I can see it, though... if the morphic field reset them both at the same time, he could take on Jack's immortal qualities.

Hmm.

What a mixed bag this season was.

The part where Gwen was punching out Jilly and criticizing her make-up was... well, Torchwood. In the best way.

number8
09-11-2011, 02:07 PM
;371461']No, I pretty much hated the way they wrapped everything up... or didn't. It's similar, though less extreme, to the general reaction to "The Killing" finale: I stuck through the lukewarm stuff hoping for a good finale, and it not only fizzled - it was an almost complete fail.

I don't agree, but even so, I don't see how that would ruin Torchwood as a whole and for the future.

[ETM]
09-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't agree, but even so, I don't see how that would ruin Torchwood as a whole and for the future.

It all depends on how much of Miracle Day is retconned and forgotten, both by any future writers and the audiences. I mean, they already acted like Children of Earth never happened, so who knows - maybe it can return as a smaller but tighter show it was before. Because this isn't working, not like this.

KK2.0
09-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Rex became Bizarro Jack :P

;371524']... they already acted like Children of Earth never happened, so who knows...

that bothered me the most about Miracle Day, although I enjoyed the show. Children was much more intense though, perhaps the shorter lenght helped but at the same time, i liked that Davies added a bit more detail on the world's meltdown in Miracle. The new characters were difficult to root for, but it's hard to compare because we had two full seasons to relate with Ianto, Toshiko and Dr Owen.

edit: and the most likeable was killed early on :lol:

number8
09-15-2011, 03:42 PM
They're not acting like it never happened. The first episode specifically mentioned, multiple times, that there was something called the 456 incident. It's just that no one knows that that is.

Doctor Who explained why. Same reason no one remembers the Dalek invasion. It was the crack in time.

number8
09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
OVms_YQwekM

Acapelli
09-16-2011, 02:40 AM
man i like rex. loved the finale. obviously not as good as children of earth, but not much tv is

looking forward to another season in 3 years

number8
10-08-2011, 12:15 PM
All of Miracle Day is now on Netflix.

ledfloyd
10-24-2011, 11:28 PM
i finished it up and... i pretty much agree with ETM. just not good. and making rex immortal is like having one last laugh at our expense.

number8
11-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Heh. You guys ever looked up Roald Dahl Plass on Google Maps and see the description?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=51.464201,-3.164486&spn=0.001978,0.005761&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6

[ETM]
08-28-2012, 08:36 PM
This is what Torchwood fans did in Cardiff, at the Torchwood HQ location:
http://i.imgur.com/UrXTH.jpg

number8
08-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Yeah, that's been there for years. It started as a shrine for Ianto and grew into a general Torchwood wall. Here's what it looked like originally:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RGUg4_TenoQ/SpI-amNbsLI/AAAAAAAABEo/87YU_ZdFNuI/s1600/P1000946.JPG

The "We want Torchwood Cardiff" banner is pretty new, I believe. Someone put it up last year as a protest against Miracle Day.

MadMan
12-06-2012, 06:53 AM
I started watching the show on Netflix. I'm midway through Series 1, and while it finally took a while to get its footing I like what I've seen. Besides Captain Jack covers a multitude of flaws, anyways.

MadMan
12-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Series 1 was merely solid at best, but it finished strong and I liked some of the episodes a lot. So far Series 2 has been really great, although having James Marsters pop up early on sure helped things. I still dig the fact that this show is the anti-Doctor Who, as Jack shoots people and events often get quite bleak. Doctor Who seems to show the best of people, while Torchwood often showcases the worst. I don't mind that sometimes this show feels like a more action packed version of The X-Files, or that the acting is a bit weak at times. Too bad the latest series, Miracle Day, is not available on Instant Viewing.

[ETM]
12-19-2012, 03:42 PM
I was reminded by the second series of "The Hour" of the awesomeness of Peter Capaldi. He was fantastic in Torchwood: Children of Earth.

Acapelli
12-19-2012, 06:33 PM
;456984']I was reminded by the second series of "The Hour" of the awesomeness of Peter Capaldi. He was fantastic in Torchwood: Children of Earth.
that is not why you should think he's awesome

THE THICK OF IT/IN THE LOOP FTFW

[ETM]
12-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Seen neither, I'm afraid. He's still awesome.