PDA

View Full Version : Emmys 2011

Henry Gale
07-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Nominations were announced this morning. (http://www.emmys.com/nominations)

In terms of stuff I most care about: Friday Night Lights got its first and final Best Drama nod, along with Chandler and Britton getting appreciation in their lead categories once again, with a writing nomination for the finale for good measure. Game of Thrones got in for Drama Series too, along with Dinklage, a Directing nod for the pilot, and a whole slew of technical stuff (13 nominations in total). And even though it sadly got overlooked for Best Drama, Directing and Writing, the voters were nice to enough to rightfully nominate Timothy Olyphant, Walton Goggins, Margo Martindale and Jeremy Davies for Justified in their respective categories.

Louis CK also got in for Best Actor and writing both the "Poker/Divorce" episode of his show and the great Hilarious stand-up film, which I guess aired as a special at some point. Parks and Recreation also got its first Best Comedy nomination, with Amy Poehler also getting one for lead actress, and maybe even looking like the frontrunner. But honestly, what does Community (and to a lesser extent, Eastbound & Down) have to do to get some notice? Not even one nomination for it once again.

Raiders
07-14-2011, 02:06 PM
I've watched a few episodes of The Good Wife. It does not deserve this. Especially at the expense of Breaking Bad and Justified.

Henry Gale
07-14-2011, 02:10 PM
I've watched a few episodes of The Good Wife. It does not deserve this. Especially at the expense of Breaking Bad and Justified.

Well technically, Breaking Bad didn't qualify this time around. So with that and Lost finishing, a couple of more shows (Friday Night Lights and Game of Thrones by the looks of it) were able to squeeze into Best Drama Series this time around. More importantly though, someone aside from Bryan Cranston will win Lead Actor in a Drama this year.

Raiders
07-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Well technically, Breaking Bad didn't qualify this time around. So along with that and Lost finishing, a couple of more shows were able to squeeze into Best Drama Series this time around. More importantly though, someone aside from Bryan Cranston will win Lead Actor in a Drama this year.

Oh, whoops. I didn't even notice. I forgot last season ended more than a year ago.

Dead & Messed Up
07-14-2011, 02:30 PM
http://412.laxallstars.com/files/2011/05/Ron-swanson-clenches-fist.jpeg

[ETM]
07-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Mireille Enos for The Killing? Seriously?

And I'm really happy about the Justified nods.

Mara
07-14-2011, 02:54 PM
;360849']Mireille Enos for The Killing? Seriously?

Her acting was pretty quality. The material...

Mara
07-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Also happy about the Justified nods, particularly Matindale and Goggins.

I might be a Martindale fangirl. I'm just in awe.

[ETM]
07-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Her acting was pretty quality. The material...

I wasn't impressed with her acting at all. She had one expression and tone in 90% of her scenes. She had her moments, but overall I thought it was a pretty dull performance.

Mara
07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
;360864']I wasn't impressed with her acting at all. She had one expression and tone in 90% of her scenes. She had her moments, but overall I thought it was a pretty dull performance.

I thought she had a "still waters run deep" thing going on. She looked anguished in pretty much every scene, but gave the impression of an inner life-- particularly in that one great episode where she's looking for her son.

[ETM]
07-14-2011, 03:45 PM
I wish I saw that in her. To me, she was just blank all time.

Ezee E
07-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Haha, Matt LeBlanc.

DavidSeven
07-14-2011, 04:03 PM
It would be so fitting if Friday Night Lights pulled off dark horse victory in Outstanding Drama in its final hour after everything the show has been through.

So glad The Killing didn't get nominated for the big award.

Hugh_Grant
07-14-2011, 04:22 PM
My favorite nomination? Hoarders for Reality Program. :pritch:

Oh, and Edgar Ramirez for Carlos, and Idris Elba's double-nod.

Thirdmango
07-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Haha, Matt LeBlanc.

Did you not watch Episodes? He was really good in it. I thought it was a very good series.

Henry Gale
07-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah, the show isn't bad at all. I only saw the first two and last two episodes, but it was solidly funny, if a bit obvious at times.

I do love that they have to say "Matt LeBlanc as Matt LeBlanc" on the official nomination lists.

Henry Gale
07-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Hitfix talked to Amy Poehler about the nominations: (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/emmys-2011-amy-poehler-talks-about-parks-and-recreations-outstanding-comedy-nomination)

What does Nick Offerman need to do to get himself a nomination already?

Amy Poehler: A lot of people don't know that just last week, Tom Selleck presented him with a Lifetime Mustache Award, which a lot of people don't know. He'll always have that, and they can't take that away from him. But it's a hot load of bullshit that he didn't get a nomination, and you can quote me on that. But I suspect and hope that will change. And certaintly that field, there's a lot of talented men vying for that position. If you asked Nick, he'd say the show is represented. But I would say his work on the show is the best stuff on TV, and he deserves every award. A lot of people don't know that Nick designed all of the costumes in "Game of Thrones."

http://412.laxallstars.com/files/2011/05/Ron-swanson-clenches-fist.jpeg

Mara
07-14-2011, 07:22 PM
He got the Cuttie. He's beloved on MC, if nowhere else.

Dead & Messed Up
07-14-2011, 07:25 PM
He got the Cuttie. He's beloved on MC, if nowhere else.

:evil:

Mara
07-14-2011, 07:33 PM
:evil:

Don't devil-face me. I just said we love him.

DavidSeven
07-14-2011, 07:42 PM
I like this.

LA Times: Where were you when you heard the news?

Chandler: I’m in Austin, Texas, and I was outside tossing the ball with the dogs.

LA Times: That is just perfect.

Chandler: My wife came out and said, "Guess what, you just got nominated!" I immediately asked, "What about Connie?" She told me that she got one too. Then she shoved me in the swimming pool.

LA Times: How do you plan to celebrate?

Chandler: I’m going into town to get my "Hollywood success sandwich." That’s what I call it. When I was doing [the ‘90s TV series] "Tour of Duty," I would get to the set and get myself a toasted bagel with lox. Put on some tomatoes, cream cheese and some capers. I’d sit there and start shaking. It tasted like success. Maybe I’ll add some onions.

LA Times: That’s the best answer I’ve heard all morning.

Chandler: It tastes real good.

Mara
07-14-2011, 07:44 PM
That sounds delicious. Kyle Chandler strikes me as a wise man.

Raiders
07-14-2011, 07:50 PM
I have had a bagel with lox, cream cheese and onions many times and it is quite delicious. But, I don't believe it is very good for breakfast. I usually eat it for lunch.

Ezee E
07-14-2011, 07:54 PM
and capers? ew.

Mara
07-14-2011, 07:56 PM
and capers? ew.

Dude. I freaking love capers. Chicken Piccata is one of my favorite go-to meals because it's an excuse to eat capers.

Heck, I might have it tonight.

Raiders
07-14-2011, 08:09 PM
and capers? ew.

No. They are pretty standard for the bagel with lox, but I don't care much for them either.

In any case, yes, this only furthers Kyle Chandler's awesomeness.

EyesWideOpen
07-15-2011, 12:33 AM
So we get one actor/actress nomination out of Downton Abbey and it is for one of the least impressive roles. I mean I could have picked 10-15 people on that show I would have nominated before her.

Lucky
07-15-2011, 12:59 AM
So we get one actor/actress nomination out of Downton Abbey and it is for one of the least impressive roles. I mean I could have picked 10-15 people on that show I would have nominated before her.

No kidding, and we get all three supporting actresses from Mildred Pierce? At least they spared us the child actress.

Hugh_Grant
07-15-2011, 02:12 AM
Dude. I freaking love capers. Chicken Piccata is one of my favorite go-to meals because it's an excuse to eat capers.

Heck, I might have it tonight.
Thanks to all this caper talk, I had a roast beef sandwich with horseradish mayo and capers. So tasty. And Chicken Piccata is my hypothetical last meal if I ever find myself on death row.

I remember Kyle Chandler on Tour of Duty, but I first took notice of him on Homefront.

Mara
07-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks to all this caper talk, I had a roast beef sandwich with horseradish mayo and capers. So tasty. And Chicken Piccata is my hypothetical last meal if I ever find myself on death row.

I had it for dinner. But now I want a roast beef sandwich with horseradish mayo and capers for dinner.

Henry Gale
09-19-2011, 02:30 AM
I didn't think it was even halfway possible, but this already may be the most impressive Emmys I've ever seen.

Jason Katims! Margo Martindale! Peter Dinklage! Kyle Chandler! Actually funny skits! Seriously, Jesse Pinkman and Creed.

amberlita
09-19-2011, 02:50 AM
I'm sure Kyle Chandler is very deserving, but Jon Hamm. Dammit.

The Mad Men win is surprising. Looked like Mad Men was getting shut out via Weiner backlash.

amberlita
09-19-2011, 02:51 AM
And nothing beats Aaron Paul winning last year. Nothing.

Unless next year Breaking Bad takes Best Drama, assuming it's the most deserving.

Ezee E
09-19-2011, 03:06 AM
Unless next year Breaking Bad takes Best Drama, assuming it's the most deserving.

Duh.

ledfloyd
09-19-2011, 03:08 AM
the comedy wins were terrible, but the drama wins were pretty spot on, and even though i thought "always" was one of the most exceptional episodes of one of my favorite shows, it had no business beating "the suitcase."

Henry Gale
09-19-2011, 03:40 AM
the comedy wins were terrible

"Welcome back to the Modern Family Awards!"

I guess it helps that I actually like the show, even if it isn't the best comedy around or even the strongest nominee in most of its categories, but I was pretty happy to see Burrell win since I think he's really good on the show and he's always come across as a genuine, funny guy to me, even as recently as on Jimmy Kimmel Live and Jimmy Pardo's podcast in the last week. Plus, Bowen's character is probably one of the least showy and broad to potentially recognize as being good comedic acting on the show, so it's nice to see a role like that appreciated for something big like the Emmys.

Plus, the cut-aways to Levitan's wife were gold.

but the drama wins were pretty spot on, and even though i thought "always" was one of the most exceptional episodes of one of my favorite shows, it had no business beating "the suitcase."

I realize it's thought of as one of the best things Mad Men has ever done, but I'm still going through the series and haven't gotten to Season 4 yet so I can't say much one way or another, but the fact that I knew how beloved it was and seeing the Friday Night Lights finale up against it, I thought it had no chance. But then "Always" somehow pulled through was it the first great surprise of the night.

In terms of the Best Drama win as its only one of the telecast, I guess you could look it as actors and writers were most willing to show their love for FNL, but the votes of everyone in other fields outnumbered them to give Mad Men the edge as an overall series. Either way, those other wins I mentioned paired with the best of the recorded segments, Lynch's pretty great work as host, things like the double Jimmy squabble, Poehler and McCarthy's male actor salute and the Lonely Island performance made this way more enjoyable than I would have expected.

ledfloyd
09-19-2011, 04:00 AM
In terms of the Best Drama win as its only one of the telecast, I guess you could look it as actors and writers were most willing to show their love for FNL, but the votes of everyone in other fields outnumbered them to give Mad Men the edge as an overall series.
true, i loved seeing chandler win and wouldn't have it any other way, but i think, as someone who thinks both shows are among probably the top ten tv dramas ever, i would've been happier to see 'the suitcase' win best writing and FNL take home best drama. because let's face it, mad men might have been the most deserving, but how many do they need?

also, perhaps someone with more emmy knowledge can tell me how downton abbey qualifies as a miniseries?

Henry Gale
09-19-2011, 04:08 AM
also, perhaps someone with more emmy knowledge can tell me how downton abbey qualifies as a miniseries?

From what I gathered it's just what they submitted it under, and no one batted an eye when it happened. I read an article written about the issue when the nominations came out, calling out Luther and Sherlock for the same thing. You could look at it as cheating, or just being similar to the way it worked for something like Prime Suspect, something recurring from outside of the American TV system getting recognized whenever its on for a small run of episodes.

Let's face it though, if any of those three shows were left to run in the regular drama categories, we'd never see them nominated, let alone win and heavily featured on the main awards show. I'd say it's for the best, even if it means leaving actual TV movies and miniseries empty handed (possibly multiple times if Downton Abbey comes back without any rule changes).

EyesWideOpen
09-19-2011, 01:20 PM
The Emmy voters have the blandest taste in comedy and I was ready to stop watching but then Margo Martindale won and all was right in the world. Glad to see Downton Abbey make a killing also.

Raiders
09-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Considering the nominated competition, Modern Family's dominance is a welcome bright spot. Then again, I didn't see much of Parks & Rec last season after not caring a whole lot for the first two seasons.

EyesWideOpen
09-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Considering the nominated competition, Modern Family's dominance is a welcome bright spot. Then again, I didn't see much of Parks & Rec last season after not caring a whole lot for the first two seasons.

Most of the funniest shows weren't nominated but in no world is the lead from the big bang theory better then louie ck. Same with the lead from mike and molly winning best actress over tina fey or amy poehler.

number8
09-19-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm biased, but I think Louie should have won both best comedy and best drama.

Irish
09-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Most of the funniest shows weren't nominated but in no world is the lead from the big bang theory better then louie ck.

Parsons might have been a touch overdue. He's been carrying his show for what? 4? 5? seasons? This is a top ten show from a successful producer, to boot. Plus, he's freaking brilliant in it.

Louis is incredible, but it's also being produced by a stand up comic with no track record who's working in NY, 3000 miles from the people who hand out these awards.

Like everything, "better" and merit are only part of the equation.

EyesWideOpen
09-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Parsons might have been a touch overdue. He's been carrying his show for what? 4? 5? seasons? This is a top ten show from a successful producer, to boot. Plus, he's freaking brilliant in it.

Louis is incredible, but it's also being produced by a stand up comic with no track record who's working in NY, 3000 miles from the people who hand out these awards.

So are you saying the oscars should be handed out to the movies with the biggest box office instead of on merit?

Acapelli
09-19-2011, 04:51 PM
what's brilliant about parsons performance? on the off chance i do see an episode, he seems to just do the same thing over and over again

Raiders
09-19-2011, 04:55 PM

I know the Academy is HQ'd in LA, but I thought the people who voted were from around the country.

True, but I don't think anybody here is questioning the "why" as much as we are voicing our displeasure at their decisions.

Thirdmango
09-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Mike and Molly is one of the worst shows on television.

[ETM]
09-19-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm watching Downton Abbey Series 2 opener, and Maggie Smith totally deserved that Emmy.

Mara
09-19-2011, 05:01 PM
So are you saying the oscars should be handed out to the movies with the biggest box office instead of on merit?

Irish consistently equates financial success with quality. It's his thing. Different strokes, and all that.

And, ETM, Downton Abbey season 2 is out? I thought it wasn't coming until spring.

[ETM]
09-19-2011, 05:05 PM
The opener was shown last night in Britain. It's coming to US in the spring, perhaps.

Thirdmango
09-19-2011, 05:07 PM
I went through all of the winners including all the stuff done from last week during the creative stuff. Some of you oughta check that out cause there are some good winners in there. But yeah I'm impressed by some of the picks they did in drama, Martindale, Dinklage, FNL, Great picks.

Irish
09-19-2011, 05:30 PM

No. Just suggesting that awards, like everything else in life, are based on a variety of things and only one of them is merit.

I was a little off, though. Parsons won last year too. Unlike the Oscars, it looks like Emmy awards ping pong between 2 people for a few years before being picked up by someone else (Alec Baldwin won the 2 years before Parsons, before that it went back and forth between Kelsey Grammar and Tony Shaloub).

Irish
09-19-2011, 05:44 PM
I know the Academy is HQ'd in LA, but I thought the people who voted were from around the country.

Visibility in the industry plays a big part in who gets what. It's politics with a dash of friendship and 'what have you done for me lately.'

So I think that LCK being out of the loop and out of town, not to mention producing something that's not easily identifiable as a sitcom, hurts his chances.

Irish
09-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Irish consistently equates financial success with quality. It's his thing. Different strokes, and all that.

No, not really, in general. And not what I'm saying here.

But anytime someone asks how so-and-so could miss out on an award or why a show got cancelled -- this despite everything being so so good! -- all you have to do is snoop the bottom line and you'll have your answer.

Big Bang is a top 10 show, has been for years, with a prominent show runner. Louis is a one man band playing out of NY and isn't even through its second season.

Anyway, the big snub is on Steve Carrell. He hasn't won at all and this was the last year he was eligible for The Office. That's pretty much a hard fuck you.

number8
09-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Irish is right, sadly. It was a huge factor in why The Wire, which was praised to high heavens by television critics everywhere, was largely ignored throughout its entire run. They were operating out of Baltimore, used a lot of non-TV writers and mostly local actors and crew. They were outside the Hollywood system and weren't in touch with other television people at all, and that hurts your Emmy chances significantly.

[ETM]
09-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah, the new awards meme is "The Kennedys: 1 Emmy - The Wire: 0 Emmys".

Ezee E
09-19-2011, 06:01 PM
I find it pretty shocking that Carell never won. Seems like I've seen him up there with an award...

Lucky
09-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Anyway, the big snub is on Steve Carrell. He hasn't won at all and this was the last year he was eligible for The Office. That's pretty much a hard fuck you.

Yeah, this was an unforgivable snub. Michael Scott was one of the most consistently funny characters I've had the pleasure of watching on television. And even though he was a near caricature of narcissism at times, I still felt sympathy for him when the show asked. It was quite a feat Carrell pulled off week after week.

Irish
09-19-2011, 06:47 PM
I find it pretty shocking that Carell never won. Seems like I've seen him up there with an award...

The Office won in 2006, but Carrell has never won.

Looking at the list of comedy winners, I had nooooooooo idea the Emmys were so homogenous.

~60 year history, but only 1 show (Sex and the City) and only 2 performers (Ricky Gervais, for Extras and Tony Shaloub, for Monk) have won while appearing on a non-network show.

In other words, if you're not on ABC, NBC, CBS, or Fox your chances of winning anything go way, way down.

EyesWideOpen
09-19-2011, 07:17 PM
I understand why these shows win Irish I didn't need that explained to me. I disagree with it.

Irish
09-19-2011, 07:50 PM
I understand why these shows win Irish I didn't need that explained to me.

Huh?

number8
09-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Huh?

You said this:

But anytime someone asks how so-and-so could miss out on an award or why a show got cancelled -- this despite everything being so so good! -- all you have to do is snoop the bottom line and you'll have your answer.

Everyone here understand why an Emmy goes to something or someone. They're complaining because they don't think it's how things should be, not because the decisions are mysterious.

Basically, like most of your arguments with others on MC, Irish, you tend to be very literal and pragmatic when others are voicing opinions that are more idealistic.

MadMan
09-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Community getting snubbed completely is why I boycotted the Emmys. Although granted from what I've seen Modern Family is really funny, and I can completely understand why it won Best Comedy.

Irish
09-19-2011, 09:34 PM
You said this:

Everyone here understand why an Emmy goes to something or someone. They're complaining because they don't think it's how things should be, not because the decisions are mysterious.

Basically, like most of your arguments with others on MC, Irish, you tend to be very literal and pragmatic when others are voicing opinions that are more idealistic.

Ahhhhh, kk. Understood. Appreciate the heads up.

I don't think the decisions are mysterious. It's pretty easy to predict these things if you know their history and can intuit a little bit of human nature. (in this case, my guess probably would have been wrong. I would have bet on Steve Carrell, and then kicked myself for not realizing quitters don't get trophies).

As for opinions, Eyes saying that "in no world" is Parsons better than Louis CK. That's a pretty cheap, offhand dismissal of a guy doing a creative, difficult role for four plus years and succeeding at it brilliantly.

I think Parsons deserved the win, both times. Purely on merit.