PDA

View Full Version : Writers Strikes may cancel the upcoming Oscars

Watashi
01-02-2008, 08:46 PM
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,22988699-5011000,00.html

THEY have survived the Great Crash, the Great Depression, World War II and the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan. But fears are growing that the Academy Awards, universally known as the Oscars, may have to be cancelled for the first time in 80 years.

The tens of millions of fans around the world, who treat the awards like a celebrity horse race, would not be the only ones to suffer if the February 24 event were called off.

Movie stars, studio executives, socialites and gatecrashers are all aghast at the idea of being denied the lavish parties that accompany Hollywood's biggest night.

Perhaps most aghast are the party organisers themselves - most of whom have solicited sponsorship deals to help to pay for events that can cost up to $US700,000 ($800,000) to stage.

Ballot papers have been posted to the Academy's 5829 voters, who will decide which films and actors are nominated. The first round of voting will end on January 12.

But the awards season is at risk of becoming the highest-profile casualty so far of a stand-off between studios and writers that began two months ago.

The writers, represented by the Writers Guild of America, are demanding to be paid for television shows or films broadcast over the internet. The studios argue that online technology is untested, and that to agree to fees now could prevent them from experimenting with new methods of distribution.

The strike is starting to sting on both sides. Nightly news-talk shows, such as The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - who is scheduled to host the 80th Academy Awards - have been off the air for so long, staff fear ratings may have been damaged permanently, with viewers migrating to YouTube or video games.

But at the weekend there were signs of movement when TV host David Letterman's production company, Worldwide Pants, reached an agreement with the leadership of the WGA. The deal will allow Letterman's Late Show to return to the air in the US on Wednesday night, armed with his staff of comedy writers.

Other night-time talk shows, including The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, are scheduled to return this week too - but without writers.

In a statement, Mr Letterman said: "This is not a solution to the strike, which unfortunately continues to disrupt the lives of thousands. But I hope it will be seen as a step in the right direction."

So far films have been less affected by the strike because scripts were stockpiled in advance. Nevertheless, some big projects will suffer next year.

But the biggest question mark of all now hangs over Oscars night. The best indication of its ability to go ahead as planned will come this week - when the Hollywood Foreign Press Association decides if it will stage its January 13 Golden Globes ceremony, which has been held every year since 1944.

Before Christmas, the WGA refused to give its members permission to write material for the show, even though it granted a waiver for the smaller-scale Independent Spirit Awards.

The union also refused to allow the Globes organisers to use video clips that included work produced by its members. This could make the event impossible to stage.

Regardless of what happens at the Golden Globes, however, all eyes will be on the Oscars a month later. Since its debut in 1929, the ceremony has run every year for 80 years, surviving industrial disputes - and even the attempted assassination of Reagan in 1981, which delayed the ceremony by a day.

Sven
01-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Go writers!

transmogrifier
01-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Best news I've heard all year.

Watashi
01-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Best news I've heard all year.
Well, nothing much has happened in two days, so I guess you're right.

baby doll
01-02-2008, 09:07 PM
I wasn't going to watch it anyway. Maybe if they cut out the host, the presenters, the speeches, the narrator telling us all the times so-and-so's been nominated in the past (you know, words in general in favor of expressive grunts), as well as those endless musical numbers that inflate an already insufferably bad piece of television beyond human endurance, not to mention the six hours of pre-show bullshit about what everyone's wearing (no dress code, just flip flops and shorts), then I'd consider watching it.

P.S., I hate to imagine what Leno's monologue will look like when he doesn't have a team of people writing for him (what he usually does is lame enough).

Boner M
01-02-2008, 09:08 PM
*pretends this new makes me happy*

Ezee E
01-02-2008, 09:17 PM
It'll happen somehow.

baby doll
01-02-2008, 09:28 PM
It'll happen somehow.You're such a pessimist.

Milky Joe
01-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Call me crazy, but wouldn't the Oscars actually be about 1000 times better and more entertaining (and certainly shorter, a good thing) if you just let them ad-lib a little and then read the fucking card? Really, do you really need to pay people to write the godawful tripe that movie stars are forced to spout when they present awards?

number8
01-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Call me crazy, but wouldn't the Oscars actually be about 1000 times better and more entertaining (and certainly shorter, a good thing) if you just let them ad-lib a little and then read the fucking card? Really, do you really need to pay people to write the godawful tripe that movie stars are forced to spout when they present awards?

Well, yeah, for timing purposes.

Sycophant
01-03-2008, 12:03 AM
The Oscars makes for a great excuse for a party and to get everyone together to talk about the year in film. I hope the broadcast happens.

Sven
01-03-2008, 12:07 AM
The Oscars makes for a great excuse for a party and to get everyone together to talk about the year in film. I hope the broadcast happens.

:sad:

Sycophant
01-03-2008, 12:19 AM
:sad:
Maybe we can teleconference you in. :sad:

Mysterious Dude
01-03-2008, 01:27 AM
Movie stars, studio executives, socialites and gatecrashers are all aghast at the idea of being denied the lavish parties that accompany Hollywood's biggest night.
This is my favorite part. Can you imagine anything more tragic?

Qrazy
01-03-2008, 01:37 AM
This is my favorite part. Can you imagine anything more tragic?

Paris Hilton tears her skirt whilst posing for the paparaz?

Mysterious Dude
01-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Paris Hilton tears her skirt whilst posing for the paparaz?
The very thought brings tears to my eyes.

Spinal
01-03-2008, 01:45 AM
Smug Oscar detractors are more unbearable than the Oscars themselves.

Mysterious Dude
01-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Smug Oscar detractors are more unbearable than the Oscars themselves.Hey, I like the Oscars. But I am nevertheless amused by the idea of socialites being denied their lavish parties.

Spinal
01-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Hey, I like the Oscars. But I am nevertheless amused by the idea of socialites being denied their lavish parties.

Mine was more of a general comment throw out there into the mix.

I agree that the socialite thing is funny. Perhaps a benefit concert is in order.

megladon8
01-03-2008, 02:00 AM
I like watching the Oscars.

I think this news sucks.

chrisnu
01-03-2008, 02:20 AM
Hmm. I wonder if the Independent Spirit Awards are going to be canceled as well. I hope not, although it feels like they're getting more similar to the Oscars the past few years I've watched.

Qrazy
01-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Smug Oscar detractors are more unbearable than the Oscars themselves.

I think they're all equally horrible, let's put them in a barn and burn it to the ground. I'll bring the gas, you bring the matches.

DavidSeven
01-03-2008, 03:07 AM
Hmm. I wonder if the Independent Spirit Awards are going to be canceled as well. I hope not, although it feels like they're getting more similar to the Oscars the past few years I've watched.

The article says that the WGA is granting a waiver for the Spirit Awards. They're also allowing their union members to work on the SAG awards. The Oscar/Globes holdout is obviously more of a power play than a decision based on principle.

Spinal
01-03-2008, 04:00 AM
I think they're all equally horrible, let's put them in a barn and burn it to the ground. I'll bring the gas, you bring the matches.

Well, that's a little extreme.

Qrazy
01-03-2008, 04:04 AM
Well, that's a little extreme.

Or maybe... it's not extreme enough?

No you're right, it's too extreme.

Spinal
01-03-2008, 04:06 AM
Or maybe... it's not extreme enough?

No you're right, it's too extreme.

Come and See has put me off of group immolation under any circumstances.

Qrazy
01-03-2008, 04:09 AM
Come and See has put me off of group immolation under any circumstances.

Really? It put me onto group immolation in the first place... talk about a polarizing reaction!

jesse
01-03-2008, 04:15 AM
The article says that the WGA is granting a waiver for the Spirit Awards. They're also allowing their union members to work on the SAG awards. The Oscar/Globes holdout is obviously more of a power play than a decision based on principle. I can't help but think it's a tremendously risky one, as I can see the general public turning on this decision. I mean, how many non-movie people do you know get together to watch the Oscars? Bet on them? If the strike has bee generally tolerated up until now, this might turn the general sentiment against the WGA.

Just my thoughts. And yeah, I've gotta admit I'm a little sad at the thought of no Oscars to bitch about.

Ivan Drago
01-03-2008, 04:48 AM
If the Oscars are gonna be cancelled, then the Golden Globes should be cancelled too. But we'll find out if they'll go on as scheduled this week.

If the Oscars are cancelled I'll be pissed. I love watching them, personally.

EDIT: Plus, in my opinion, the Oscars are necessary for a year so great for movies.

EDIT 2: And what's the point of voting for nominees if the awards show itself isn't going to be broadcast? That does sound stupid, I'll admit, but seriously, I don't understand it.

number8
01-03-2008, 07:34 AM
It was proven that smug Oscar detractors care more about the Oscars than the average Oscar broadcast viewer, who's just watching to see celebs.

Raiders
01-03-2008, 12:37 PM
EDIT: Plus, in my opinion, the Oscars are necessary for a year so great for movies

Yeah, but you also gave Superbad a 10.

EvilShoe
01-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah, but you also gave Superbad a 10.
Jonah Hill is a lock for Best Actor, fool.

Ezee E
01-03-2008, 02:27 PM
It was proven that smug Oscar detractors care more about the Oscars than the average Oscar broadcast viewer, who's just watching to see celebs.
ha. Good point.

Ezee E
01-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Jonah Hill is a lock for Best Actor, fool.
don't forget Best Makeup. He REALLY looked drunk!

Ivan Drago
01-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Sorry for having an opinion. :rolleyes:

Sycophant
01-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Sorry for having an opinion. :rolleyes:Eh... maybe we'll forgive you later.

Raiders
01-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Sorry for having an opinion. :rolleyes:

:: kicks back a shot of SoCo and lime ::

Briare
01-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Personally, I think that the WGA is making a big mistake by allolwing the Indie Spirit awards to carry on and denying the Oscars a waiver. It makes them look weak. I also think denying any awards show a waiver is a pretty selfish decision. You're denying not only some writers who may never get nominated again the chance at a spot in the limelight, but hundreds of other industry workers who may never get another shot at the oscar. It seems very petty to me.

This decision will be a blow against the WGA from the media's perspective, I'll bet. Basically, if they wanted to put the kaibosh on awards shows, it should've been a blanket ban on waivers and not the WGA picking and choosing who they like better.

Ezee E
01-03-2008, 06:59 PM
:: kicks back a shot of SoCo and lime ::
Damn. You beat me to it.

Ivan Drago
01-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Damn. You beat me to it.

:lol:

But as much as I love Superbad...it's not my #1 of 2007. That would be Grindhouse. I do want to write a full review of Superbad, though, to show just why I love it so much...the problem is...I suck at it.

And one more thing: Yes, I did give a 10 to Superbad. But which is worse - giving 10 to Superbad or 10 to something like Bratz: The Movie?

Kurosawa Fan
01-03-2008, 08:51 PM
And one more thing: Yes, I did give a 10 to Superbad. But which is worse - giving 10 to Superbad or 10 to something like Bratz: The Movie?

A 10 to Superbad.

Thirdy
01-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Since when doesn't Bratz: The Movie deserve a 10?

Ivan Drago
01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. I hate to steer yet another thread in the wrong direction by going off-topic.

EvilShoe
01-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Where did all the Bratz backlash come from?

Kurosawa Fan
01-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Where did all the Bratz backlash come from?

I knew you'd have my back.

Spinal
01-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I bet if it was called L'Bratz and it was directed by Jean-François LaFleur Lemieux and it had been made for $1500 in the late 70's and it had been denied American distribution for three decades and had only been previously available on a Russian Region 5 import laserdisc, then Match Cut would love it. But noooooo.

Elitists.

EvilShoe
01-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I bet if it was called L'Bratz and it was directed by Jean-François LaFleur Lemieux and it had been made for $1500 in the late 70's and it had been denied American distribution for three decades and had only been previously available on a Russian Region 5 import laserdisc, then Match Cut would love it. But noooooo.

Elitists.
I still believe a lot of snobs never even gave Bratz a chance just because it's a loose remake of their beloved Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?.

eternity
01-03-2008, 10:39 PM

Elitists.It's sad how true this statement rings. Because it really does.

Derek
01-03-2008, 11:08 PM
It's sad how true this statement rings. Because it really does.

I think it's funny that there's people who think a statement like that rings true, especially when the joke of it is that people whine about elitists when they're the ones closing themselves off to anything challenging or new. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's not the point at all, but whatever, the myth of cinema snobbery will continue to be spread by closed-minded snobs of a different caliber. Conservative film buffs need some type of boogie man to mount campaigns to protect the fragile, defenseless multiplex films from those big, bad low-budget foreign films.

Anyway, sorry to ruin an otherwise hilarious joke, but I'm sick and tired of the constant bitching about pretentious film critics and film buffs who only watch foreign films that no one's heard of when they constitute such a ridiculously small percentage of the film community.

[/Anton Ego]

eternity
01-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Repped.

Ivan Drago
01-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Okay, I said I would shut up, but I would like to ask is it safe for me to come back now?

Because I'm sick and tired of you guys attacking me for my love of Superbad. I posted in this thread starting with an honest opinion on the topic and Raiders replies by saying that my opinion is null and void because I gave Superbad a 10, and as a result, yet another thread is hijacked. That was unnecessary and uncalled for.

Boner M
01-04-2008, 05:02 AM
Okay, I said I would shut up, but I would like to ask is it safe for me to come back now?

Because I'm sick and tired of you guys attacking me for my love of Superbad. I posted in this thread starting with an honest opinion on the topic and Raiders replies by saying that my opinion is null and void because I gave Superbad a 10, and as a result, yet another thread is hijacked. That was unnecessary and uncalled for.
*slams down six pack*

Spinal
01-04-2008, 05:03 AM

I would recommend observing how others handle this situation. For example, a popular method is to act as though it is the other person who is crazy. This confuses them and puts them on the defensive. Meanwhile, you can declare victory.

Qrazy
01-04-2008, 05:08 AM
I would recommend observing how others handle this situation. For example, a popular method is to act as though it is the other person who is crazy. This confuses them and puts them on the defensive. Meanwhile, you can declare victory.

Gershplfmers say what?

Victory is mine.

Bosco B Thug
01-04-2008, 05:25 AM
You know, most people on this board really liked Superbad.

There are just some people 'round these parts... Some would call them crazy. Others would say they're googledyheads! Though I myself find those descriptives awfully reductive. I'd use "uppity."

transmogrifier
01-04-2008, 05:31 AM

Me, I affect an ironic pose of hipster non-committal to that which I hold dear. Then Raiders comes along and asks me to explain Grease (can you imagine? One may as well ask for a biochemical reason why you think Naomi Watts looks hot in cut-offs), at which point I go kick a puppy.

And now I'm back, good as new.

Qrazy
01-04-2008, 05:38 AM
A biochemical reason why you think Naomi Watts looks hot in cut-offs), at which point I go kick a puppy.

And now I'm back, good as new.

Can pheromones be transmitted via screen?

transmogrifier
01-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Can pheromones be transmitted via screen?

It appears we have stumbled across a new field of research. We need days and days of video of Watts in various stages of undress, coupled with Watts herself in various stages of undress as a control.

Ivan Drago
01-04-2008, 06:55 AM

So...I've been taking this the wrong way the whole time?

Sycophant
01-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Stop it, Ivan. No one has attacked you for liking Superbad. Here (http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=18455&postcount=305) you said it was your favorite of the year and Megs said it was a nice choice.

Here (http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=19950&postcount=3990) is where it started next, after trans made a friendly jab about the positive stuff in your signature, followed by a ;). Qrazy said "You can start by not liking Superbad more than 2001. ;)" Again, note the wink. It's a joke, man.

And here (http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=20358&postcount=10) your trouble really begins, as you bizarrely mention that your opinion doesn't matter because you like Superbad, something no one has said to date. iosos called you out on self-deprecation, which has been a trend I notice in your posts. It's also probably a reference to how he used to say "But then, I'm the guy who liked Gigli, so what the hell do I know?" which he said a lot about four years ago.

Raiders, earlier in this thread, cited how you threw in an "in my opinion" in the post earlier, a reference to another idiosyncratic behavior that earned a mention in our "drinking game" thread and made a joke about how you brought up earlier how we supposedly don't think you matter because you like Superbad, which as Bosco noted, most of us liked, though none to your level. So you champion it. Awesome!

Unless there was a deluge of attacks on you for liking it on the old board that's escaping my search prowess, I can't find evidence of people hating on you for liking this movie.

A lot of people around here get as much if not more shit for their opinions than you do. Please stop with the persecution complex. I'm begging you. I'm coming off as obsessive, but I pray not offensive. I like reading your opinions, but seeing you harp on about this fabrication is starting to really bother me and I'm trying to shirk a task I don't want to do so I latched onto this as an opportunity to kill ten minutes.

Happy posting!!

Sycophant
01-04-2008, 07:27 AM
It appears we have stumbled across a new field of research. We need days and days of video of Watts in various stages of undress, coupled with Watts herself in various stages of undress as a control.
*prays his statistical demographic isn't overrepresented yet*

transmogrifier
01-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Stop it, Ivan. No one has attacked you for liking Superbad. Here (http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=18455&postcount=305) you said it was your favorite of the year and Megs said it was a nice choice.

Here (http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=19950&postcount=3990) is where it started next, after trans made a friendly jab about the positive stuff in your signature, followed by a ;). Qrazy said "You can start by not liking Superbad more than 2001. ;)" Again, note the wink. It's a joke, man.

And here (http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=20358&postcount=10) your trouble really begins, as you bizarrely mention that your opinion doesn't matter because you like Superbad, something no one has said to date. iosos called you out on self-deprecation, which has been a trend I notice in your posts. It's also probably a reference to how he used to say "But then, I'm the guy who liked Gigli, so what the hell do I know?" which he said a lot about four years ago.

Raiders, earlier in this thread, cited how you threw in an "in my opinion" in the post earlier, a reference to another idiosyncratic behavior that earned a mention in our "drinking game" thread and made a joke about how you brought up earlier how we supposedly don't think you matter because you like Superbad, which as Bosco noted, most of us liked, though none to your level. So you champion it. Awesome!

Unless there was a deluge of attacks on you for liking it on the old board that's escaping my search prowess, I can't find evidence of people hating on you for liking this movie.

A lot of people around here get as much if not more shit for their opinions than you do. Please stop with the persecution complex. I'm begging you. I'm coming off as obsessive, but I pray not offensive. I like reading your opinions, but seeing you harp on about this fabrication is starting to really bother me and I'm trying to shirk a task I don't want to do so I latched onto this as an opportunity to kill ten minutes.

Happy posting!!

Again, it goes to show the utterly demonic nature of Love Actually.

Sycophant
01-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Again, it goes to show the utterly demonic nature of Love Actually.Oh, Lord... I'm either daft or very tired (or perhaps both in equal measures), but aside from rightly indicating that Love Actually is a horrible film... what do you mean?

transmogrifier
01-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Oh, Lord... I'm either daft or very tired (or perhaps both in equal measures), but aside from rightly indicating that Love Actually is a horrible film... what do you mean?

I have a photographic ememory: I think it went:

Sycophant: I'm so gonna watch me some Love Actually this weekend.
transmogrifier: Dude! You suicidal or something? Can I do anything to help? Go watch something more worthwhile, like a Full House marathon.
Sycophant: It's at the top of NetFlix, man. I can't controvene the Might of the List.
Ivan Drago: Love Actually, mighty fine shit right there.
iosos: I don't even believe half the things I say sometimes.
transmogrifier: Dude! Upon resting my wary eyes upon thou signature, it doth bely a certain lack of aesthetic rigour in the realm of cinematica. Thou are pleasured mightily by even the lesser among us. ;)
Ivan Drago: You die now. But me first.

Later:

Sycophant: Yeah, Love Actually sucked.
transmogrifier: *nods sagely*

Raiders
01-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Dang, I thought considering the fuss in the drinking thread, my initial post here would have obviously been seen as the joke it was.

Now I've started a train of posts that has seen Bratz adored and Love Actually destroyed...

Behold the mighty power of gullibility.

Kurosawa Fan
01-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Now I've started a train of posts that has seen Bratz adored and Love Actually destroyed...

You're on thin ice. :|

Duncan
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Great thread. I betcha no silly professional writer could come up with those twists and turns.

Ivan Drago
01-04-2008, 05:15 PM
I apologize for my actions in this thread and others. I'll be honest, I never saw all this as a joke at all. I'm sorry for overreacting - I do it a lot but there's a reason for it. I don't want to explain it though because it's really, really personal.

Sycophant
01-04-2008, 05:37 PM

transmogrifier: Dude! You suicidal or something? Can I do anything to help? Go watch something more worthwhile, like a Full House marathon.
Sycophant: It's at the top of NetFlix, man. I can't controvene the Might of the List.
transmogrifier: Dude! Upon resting my wary eyes upon thou signature, it doth bely a certain lack of aesthetic rigour in the realm of cinematica. Thou are pleasured mightily by even the lesser among us. ;)

Later:

transmogrifier: *nods sagely*
Oh, yeah. That's totally how it went down.

Word, then. Word.

MadMan
01-04-2008, 07:50 PM

Later:

transmogrifier: *nods sagely*Goddamnit trans I already repped you in this thread. I don't have enough rep to go around....

Me, I affect an ironic pose of hipster non-committal to that which I hold dear. Then Raiders comes along and asks me to explain Grease (can you imagine? One may as well ask for a biochemical reason why you think Naomi Watts looks hot in cut-offs), at which point I go kick a puppy.

And now I'm back, good as new.Heh. Despite the fact that Grease is one of the worst musicals ever....*runs*

I would recommend observing how others handle this situation. For example, a popular method is to act as though it is the other person who is crazy. This confuses them and puts them on the defensive. Meanwhile, you can declare victory.Or just flat out state that your right and their wrong. And that they hate freedom. Damn commie liberal socialist hippy bastards.

Elitists.Actually if it was like that I would hate it even more. But that's just me.

Sorry for having an opinion. :rolleyes:Your rating for First Blood is too low :P

Yeah, but you also gave Superbad a 10.What's wrong with that? I gave the film a 9.0. Does this mean I'm in trouble with the mod gods who lord over the site? I sure hope not considering I sacrificed that goat to you guys yesterday.

Oh and I don't care if the Oscars are shown or not. Honestly. Now if the writers strike means we get shitty Super Bowl commercials I'll have to choke a bitch.

Qrazy
01-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Oh and I don't care if the Oscars are shown or not. Honestly. Now if the writers strike means we get shitty Super Bowl commercials I'll have to choke a bitch.

Yeah it takes brilliant writing to get those absurd monkey commercials which seem to make up roughly half of the superbowl ads these days.

Ezee E
01-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah it takes brilliant writing to get those absurd monkey commercials which seem to make up roughly half of the superbowl ads these days.
You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

MadMan
01-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Yeah it takes brilliant writing to get those absurd monkey commercials which seem to make up roughly half of the superbowl ads these days.I was joking (maybe I needed to throw in a smily for good measure) but seriously at least half of the Super Bowl adds end up being good, and a small chunk of them are great. I imagine writers are used for those adds as well.

Sven
01-04-2008, 08:16 PM
For the record, I believe every single thing I have ever said ever.

And it's true that I, too, as a joke (and an unguided sense that subjectivity was the truthiest way of things) used to end my posts with "I liked Gigli...", which I totally do, "...so what do I know?" I thought it was charmingly self-effacing until I realized that it was actually annoying and didn't capture the heart of the matter, which was that I knew a whole lot.

Sycophant
01-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I was joking (maybe I needed to throw in a smily for good measure) but seriously at least half of the Super Bowl adds end up being good, and a small chunk of them are great. I imagine writers are used for those adds as well.
I remember finally investigating Superbowl ads a few years ago to see if their commercials were really what everyone said they were. No, they weren't. They were like television ads, but flashier, smugger, longer, and more expensive. I don't think I've even really watched television since.

Spinal
01-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Does this mean I'm in trouble with the mod gods who lord over the site?

I'm just a guy with a few extra buttons on his interface.

But if you want to take a lap, I'd be OK with that.

Qrazy
01-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Well I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a bad thing... I like the monkey ads... just don't take much writing... and I knew Madman was joking... ehhh... just disregard that last post.

MadMan
01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I remember finally investigating Superbowl ads a few years ago to see if their commercials were really what everyone said they were. No, they weren't. They were like television ads, but flashier, smugger, longer, and more expensive. I don't think I've even really watched television since.Huh, interesting. My feelings about TV are summed up by Orson Welles brilliant quote: I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.

Well I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a bad thing... I like the monkey ads... just don't take much writing... and I knew Madman was joking... ehhh... just disregard that last post.Well my humor is one of the following:

A) Not funny in the slightest
B) Too weird
C) A bit on the subtitle side at times. Or not really subtitle. I donno.

I'm just a guy with a few extra buttons on his interface.

But if you want to take a lap, I'd be OK with that.Take a lap? What is this, gym class? :P

Oh and that thing about the interface reminds me of the great line from Office Space-Drew: I'm thinking I might take that new chick from Logistics. If things go well I might be showing her my O-face. "Oh... Oh... Oh!" You know what I'm talkin' about. "Oh!" :lol:

lovejuice
01-04-2008, 09:20 PM
just to get back on topic. i'll say, vote and give the award, but no celebration. who know, this might actually make the voting be more interesting.

Watashi
01-05-2008, 10:28 PM
While NBC still hasn't made it official whether the Golden Globes will air or not, Screen Actors Guild (SAG) President Alan Rosenberg made the following statement on Friday, saying that no actors are expected to show up because of the Writers Guild's picket lines to be set up at the awards. He also comments on the late night talk shows:

After considerable outreach to Golden Globe actor nominees and their representatives over the past several weeks, there appears to be unanimous agreement that these actors will not cross WGA picket lines to appear on the Golden Globe Awards as acceptors or presenters. We applaud our members for this remarkable show of solidarity for striking Writers Guild of America writers.

We have also been asked about our position regarding network talk shows. We urge our members to appear on the two programs that have independent agreements with the WGA, The Late Show with David Letterman and Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. However, actors who are asked to appear on the struck network talk shows will have to cross WGA picket lines, creating the same situation that has led to the consensus among actors to skip the Golden Globes.

As I have said since this strike began on November 5th, we must stand united with our brothers and sisters at the WGA.

Writers Guild of America, West President Patric M. Verrone followed with a note thanking SAG's support:

We are grateful to our brothers and sisters in SAG for their continued solidarity and support. The entire awards show season is being put in jeopardy by the intransigence of a few big media corporations. We urge the conglomerates to return to the bargaining table they abandoned and negotiate a fair and reasonable deal with writers to put this town back to work.

Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) President Jorge Camara says the HFPA is in a bind:

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has been placed in an extremely difficult position with the ongoing Writers Guild strike. We are making every effort to work out a solution that will permit the Golden Globes to take place with the creative community present to participate. We hope to announce a resolution to this unfortunate predicament on Monday.

In related news, The Hollywood Reporter says that Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner's United Artists is making an independent deal with the WGA, much like David Letterman's production company, Worldwide Pants did:

The WGA recently signed such a deal with David Letterman's production company, allowing writers of his late-night talk show to get back to work. A deal with UA would be notable because it would represent a first film company deal and allow UA to get cracking on new script development and execute any necessary rewrites on active projects.

Stay tuned for possibly more on that development.

Interesting.

Ezee E
01-05-2008, 11:01 PM
How does it work for Late-Night show writers anyway? It's not like they sell DVDs or downloads. Same should go for the Oscars I'm guessing. I don't understand why they won't allow for a waiver in that case.

DSNT
01-06-2008, 12:10 AM
How does it work for Late-Night show writers anyway? It's not like they sell DVDs or downloads. Same should go for the Oscars I'm guessing. I don't understand why they won't allow for a waiver in that case.
Yeah, it doesn't apply to them so much, but they have to stand together. It's a union thing.

I'm still kinda surprised there hasn't been much outcry about Leno & O'Brien taping shows without writers. The Daily Show and Colbert will do the same next week, which is even more baffling given that they are WGA members.

Sycophant
01-06-2008, 01:45 AM
Yeah, it doesn't apply to them so much, but they have to stand together. It's a union thing.

I'm still kinda surprised there hasn't been much outcry about Leno & O'Brien taping shows without writers. The Daily Show and Colbert will do the same next week, which is even more baffling given that they are WGA members.I don't know about Leno, but O'Brien is definitely WGA as well. I suspect they might not be going too hard on them, since for a while, Conan was paying his staff out of his pocket, and due to the more regular nature of working on a daily show like this, it's desperately hurting a lot of people very immediately. If there's another explanation, I don't know it.

Strangely, Conan doing his show without writers has actually gotten me to tune in this week (something I haven't done in two years)... So I don't feel like an asshole, once this thing is settled, I'll have to watch a couple weeks with writers.

Ivan Drago
01-06-2008, 02:25 AM
Well, the Oscars are fucked. That's all I can say. If no actors are gonna show up to the Golden Globes, then they're not gonna show up to the Oscars.

Sycophant
01-06-2008, 02:36 AM
Well, the Oscars are fucked. That's all I can say. If no actors are gonna show up to the Golden Globes, then they're not gonna show up to the Oscars.Unless the WGA strike clears up soon. Which really, really needs to happen. Holding out much longer is not going to be beneficial to anybody.

DavidSeven
01-06-2008, 03:13 AM
The WGA is getting annoying. I understand their position, but these ceremonies have little, if anything, to do with their cause.

number8
01-06-2008, 03:17 AM

That's not true. NBC, for example, airs talk show episodes on their website and a partnership channel on YouTube, both of which makes money from ad revenues. Daily Show and Colbert are available on DVDs and iTunes.

It's not about the money anymore at this point (that's why DVD royalties is hardly even an issue anymore), it's fairness in the use of their materials.

Ivan Drago
01-06-2008, 03:42 AM
Unless the WGA strike clears up soon. Which really, really needs to happen.

It needs to happen, but it looks like it's not going to.

Ezee E
01-06-2008, 03:53 AM
That's not true. NBC, for example, airs talk show episodes on their website and a partnership channel on YouTube, both of which makes money from ad revenues. Daily Show and Colbert are available on DVDs and iTunes.

It's not about the money anymore at this point (that's why DVD royalties is hardly even an issue anymore), it's fairness in the use of their materials.
Ah. That's right.

I still think that it's silly to not let the writers to go to the award shows. After all, it was from last year. The strike hadn't started yet. If anything, it would give the writers more of a voice.

Whatev

DSNT
01-06-2008, 03:54 AM

Most shows are streamed online too, sometimes only temporarily, but they still show ads. The writers get nothing for that.

It is still about money, but maybe not the immediate payoff that everyone is expecting. As shows start moving towards new media, which is likely to continue, the writers may find themselves gradually getting a smaller piece of the pie.

Edit: but I don't really get the awards show boycotts. They could just hand out awards and let people give acceptance speeches.

Ezee E
01-06-2008, 04:07 AM
Edit: but I don't really get the awards show boycotts. They could just hand out awards and let people give acceptance speeches.

Yes. If anything, the hosts will be poised to talk about how they're stuck on stage without any writers. They'd be given a lot more support.

DavidSeven
01-06-2008, 04:14 AM
Yeah, the awards shows, in principle, are a celebration of the creative people in the field (like the writers). In the case of the Academy Awards, the creative people are awarded by other creative people in the industry. Sure, there's definitely an intangible benefit to the studios who funded these prestige projects, but it really feels like the writers and actors are boycotting themselves here.

number8
01-06-2008, 04:36 AM
Award show telecasts make money too, you know. A lot, actually.

Ivan Drago
01-07-2008, 10:49 PM
The Golden Globes are cancelled. (http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/exclusive-golden-globes-cancelled/)

The Oscars are fucked. The strike looks like it'll never end. A year so great for movies and none of them get any fucking recognition.

EDIT: But I wonder if the Oscars will still have nominees and just do what the Globes are doing.

DSNT
01-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Shit.

Ivan Drago
01-07-2008, 10:59 PM
I might as well watch the Critics Choice Awards tonight on VH1. Barring a miracle (and since I'm a pessimist, I'm doubting that), it's gonna be the only award show that's gonna be on this year.

chrisnu
01-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I might as well watch the Critics Choice Awards tonight on VH1. It's the only award show that's gonna be on this year.
The Independent Spirit Awards are going to be on IFC!

Ivan Drago
01-08-2008, 03:29 AM
Oh shit - Steven Spielberg was supposed to get the Cecil B. Demille Lifetime Achievement Award this year too!

Raiders
01-08-2008, 03:42 AM
This seems likely to turn out bad for the WGA. PR-wise, anyway.

Sxottlan
01-08-2008, 06:46 AM
This doesn't bode well for the Oscars, but here's hoping. At least those are still watchable, unlike the Golden Globes. I was giddy when they said no actors would show up because really, that's all that the Golden Globes have going for them: playing up the whole "party atmosphere" of the show.

So naturally, they have to nominate as many films as possible with the biggest casts to draw everyone out. It was getting flat out ridiculous there. Wasn't it something like 7 movies nominated for best drama? It's like they weren't even trying anymore to make it look like they weren't just nominating the films because of who was in them.