05-13-2011, 08:08 PM
EDUpOXfwQUo

I'll see it.

Watashi
05-13-2011, 08:13 PM
I won't.

EyesWideOpen
05-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Looks funny. I'll see pretty much anything Jason Bateman is in.

Dukefrukem
05-13-2011, 08:18 PM
I laughed

Henry Gale
05-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Going into this summer I felt like after Bridesmaids, this had the most potential when it came to the big comedy releases. Not sure if the trailer lived up to that expectation, but considering how safe the jokes played, I'll just hope and assume that it's because the movie is as much of a hard R as I've been lead to believe.

Watashi
05-13-2011, 08:28 PM
I don't understand the premise. Jennifer Aniston is a horrible boss for dressing in skimpy outfits and wanting to fuck you? And that's a bad thing?

Kurosawa Fan
05-13-2011, 08:43 PM
I don't understand the premise. Jennifer Aniston is a horrible boss for dressing in skimpy outfits and wanting to fuck you? And that's a bad thing?

Yeah, pretty sure they addressed that in the trailer, making the same joke you just did.

MadMan
05-13-2011, 08:51 PM
The cast is good, but that trailer was meh. I'll wait to see what word of mouth and the reviews say before I see it.

Acapelli
05-13-2011, 09:01 PM
and then taking inappropriate pictures while you're under and threatening to show them to your fiance?

yeah, nothing wrong with that

Dukefrukem
05-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Aniston does look smokin'

Mara
05-13-2011, 09:57 PM

It's said she shot a topless scene for the film.

Henry Gale
05-13-2011, 09:58 PM

I heard the same thing for David Wain's Wanderlust. Maybe she finally understands how to get guys to see her movies.

D_Davis
05-13-2011, 10:44 PM

Yes she does.

B-side
05-14-2011, 03:00 AM
Farrel looks hilarious in this.

megladon8
05-14-2011, 03:23 AM

She also shot a fully-nude scene for The Break-Up, but everything below her upper chest (above her boobs) was cropped out for the release.

However, anyone with Google Image Search can find the un-cropped images easily.

Ezee E
05-14-2011, 03:52 AM
I will.

Also like that Charlie Day is given higher billing over Colin Farrell and Kevin Spacey.

Kurosawa Fan
05-14-2011, 02:25 PM

I heard the same thing for David Wain's Wanderlust. Maybe she finally understands how to get guys to see her movies.

Hey, remember when Natalie Portman was nude in Closer? Or Black Swan? No? Me either.

Henry Gale
05-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Hey, remember when Natalie Portman was nude in Closer? Or Black Swan? No? Me either.

Well, I mean, if you wanna be a downer... :sad:

monolith94
05-15-2011, 11:05 PM
The way he says "I don't win a lot..." gets me. It really does.

eternity
05-16-2011, 06:22 AM
Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, and Jason Sudeikis.

The three guys Hollywood is trying to push as comedic straight-guys most.

Christ.

number8
05-16-2011, 04:36 PM
The trailer for this played before Bridesmaids and got middling laughs from the crowd, but when Charlie Day said, "Let's kill that bitch!" it brought down the house.

Uncomfortable.

number8
05-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Anyway, this doesn't look very funny.

Mara
07-08-2011, 02:45 PM
I am deeply uncomfortable with some of the things that are being said about this film.

Specifically, there is a tone of "a gorgeous nympho boss should be a dream, not a nightmare! Otherwise you're not heterosexual."

I find this minimizing of sexual harassment to be really troubling.

Fezzik
07-08-2011, 02:58 PM
I am deeply uncomfortable with some of the things that are being said about this film.

Specifically, there is a tone of "a gorgeous nympho boss should be a dream, not a nightmare! Otherwise you're not heterosexual."

Especially since its clear from the trailer that the guy is married/in a serious relationship and she's using it to blackmail him.

People need to not breed.

Mara
07-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Okay, so off topic, but whatever, like anyone is going to see this film.

Only once in my life has someone I know been on a talk show. I didn't know him terribly well, but he was sort of peripherally in my group of friends while I was in high school, but he was a couple of years older (19 or 20) and lived locally. He was very good looking and pretty cool.

He was on Carnie! (Carnie Wilson's old talk show, when that still existed.) I heard he was going on, but then he wouldn't talk about it afterward, and I had to find out through subterfuge when it was airing and then set my family's VCR. (I'm so old.)

Anyway, the set up of the show was something like, "I'M SECRETLY IN LOVE, BUT HE DOESN'T KNOW I EXIST!" And there were two girls, pretty and giggly, who were roommates, lived in his building, and were both in love with my friend. They came on the show to tell him how they felt and make him choose between them.

Carnie and the audience really hyped it up, with pre-interviews with the giggly girls, and with my friend. ("Who do you THINK is in love with you?" "Um, I don't know.")

Anyway, they finally did the big reveal, and my friend looked at the girls, looked at Carnie, and said, "I've never seen these girls in my life."

The audience gasped, the girls shrieked indignantly, and started telling him that they lived in his building, and they loved him, and they'd borrowed his spatula once or something.

Carnie asked how he felt about the declaration, and he said, "Really awkward. I don't know these girls. This whole thing is weird."

Everyone was disappointed and awkward. Carnie took questions from the audience, and this big, well-built guy stood up, took the microphone, pointed at my friend, and said, "YOU GAY?"

My friend said, "That's none of your business."

The guy said, "I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT, YOU GAY! TWO PRETTY GIRLS WANT YOU, YOU DON'T WANT THEM, YOU GAY!"

And my friend looked like he wanted to kill himself. I'm not surprised he didn't tell us when it was airing. I still feel bad for him (and it's not like we're even friends anymore, or that I've spoken to him in over a decade.) But, seriously. Being heterosexual and male has some really strange expectations on it.

number8
07-08-2011, 03:22 PM
That is fucking horrifying.

Mara
07-08-2011, 03:39 PM
That is fucking horrifying.

This was probably in 1996.

Five, six years later and I don't think they would have even shown that part on television.

Ezee E
07-08-2011, 03:43 PM
That stuff happens all the time to me with the different jobs I have. The retail store has plenty of pretty girls and it baffles the fire station guys that I don't notice some of them or think of it as a big deal.

Sven
07-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I apparently have become one of those guys whose libido is not solely defined by the fact that he is a heterosexual male. Like conversations about Megan Fox. You're not going to get what you want if you drag me into one of those.

Mara
07-08-2011, 03:57 PM
It seems to me that when American culture caricatures, simplifies, and mocks women, women fight back.

But when American culture caricatures, simplifies, and mocks men, everyone assumes it's based on same kind of reality.

'Cause, I mean, MEN, right? They're sooooo much easier to understand than women. They only have one thing on the brain. They eat of the meat and play of the video games. They never grow up. They fear commitment. They need to be indulged because we can't ask them to evolve beyond that.

Mara
07-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Anyway, I'm not going to watch the movie (obviously) but if anyone does, explain to me why this poor guy can't file a sexual harassment suit. Thanks.

number8
07-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Because let's kill that bitch, obviously.

Ezee E
07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Ha, in my life and observations, it's the women that seem to have commitment issues now.

Mara
07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Ha, in my life and observations, it's the women that seem to have commitment issues now.

I don't feel comfortable commenting on that one way or another.

Dead & Messed Up
07-08-2011, 05:13 PM
I liked the red-band gag about "men seeking a man," and I love the cast. I don't remember the line "Let's kill that bitch." I'll have to double-check that when I'm not at work.

Raiders
07-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Anyway, I'm not going to watch the movie (obviously) but if anyone does, explain to me why this poor guy can't file a sexual harassment suit. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the angle is that her pictures and overall plot against him are convincing enough he is not likely to prove his innocence. Or they won't address it at all and just ask us to buy into it.

I will likely be seeing this over the weekend. Personally, it looks fairly funny to me. Maybe 'cuz I'm a high-libido dude or something.

Mara
07-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Just to clarify: I'm appalled by comments in the reviews I'm seeing and the things I'm hearing people say, not by the film itself. I don't know how the film will handle those issues.

Irish
07-08-2011, 05:21 PM

It's pretty obvious they're playing off the double standard.

But when American culture caricatures, simplifies, and mocks men, everyone assumes it's based on same kind of reality.

Well, specifically: White men.

When you're at the top of the social hierarchy and live a life of privilege, you can't really complain about being mocked. Well, you can, but it's petty. (See also: half the comedy of Louis CK.)

Because then there wouldn't be a movie. Or, at least that movie you're watching wouldn't be Horrible Bosses, it'd be Disclosure.

Kurosawa Fan
07-08-2011, 06:11 PM
I'll see it. I like everyone involved, and I thought the trailer and a few clips I've seen showed promise. I'll wait until DVD, but it has my interest.

Ezee E
07-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I'm going to see it at some point. None of the aforementioned discussion has actually offended me. Just something I'm aware or see every day.

Mara
07-08-2011, 06:49 PM
I'd heard/read several sideways comments about the film that made me mad, but this is the one that really pissed me off, this morning. From msnbc.

The third horrible boss makes no sense. Poor Charlie Day from "It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia" must somehow get through each day as a dental assistant to a potty-mouthed nymphomaniac played by Jennifer Aniston, who craves nothing more than nonstop sex with her assistant. This is, essentially, a casting problem. Let’s just say that if you insist on casting Aniston in this role -- and she, for whatever reason, actually accepts it -- you have destroyed any comedy. This, for a heterosexual male, is your dream boss.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43654462/ns/today-entertainment/

Jerk.

number8
07-08-2011, 07:26 PM
The implication is that they should have cast someone ugly. Because it's only rape if she is ugly.

B-side
07-09-2011, 02:42 AM
I doubt the reviewer was being entirely serious. I think you're being overly sensitive about this.

Spinal
07-09-2011, 02:48 AM
I would guess that he's trying to say that it's difficult to simultaneously use Jennifer Aniston as a sex symbol to attract male viewers who fantasize about sleeping with her and also as some sort of villain who makes unwanted sexual advances.

This is a paradox that is particular to a Hollywood film. This is not a real-life issue.

B-side
07-09-2011, 02:50 AM
I would guess that he's trying to say that it's difficult to simultaneously use Jennifer Aniston as a sex symbol to attract male viewers who fantasize about sleeping with her and also as some sort of villain who makes unwanted sexual advances.

Good point. Didn't think of it that way.

Pop Trash
07-09-2011, 02:54 AM
I kind of feel like the dudes around me at work (or elsewhere) think I'm gay just because I don't freak out about Megan Fox or whatever. Or if she comes up I'll just mention her terrible acting skills. I don't know...people are fucking lame sometimes. The other day soccer and The World Cup came up at work and someone asked my coworker if he watched soccer and he replied "what do I look like, a fruit?" We just gave him strange looks.

Ezee E
07-09-2011, 03:09 AM
Hope Solo man.......

number8
07-09-2011, 04:57 AM
The other day soccer and The World Cup came up at work and someone asked my coworker if he watched soccer and he replied "what do I look like, a fruit?" We just gave him strange looks.

The correct answer would be, "Well, you just seem so faggoty all the time, we just figured."

Henry Gale
07-10-2011, 05:32 AM
This was definitely funny.

Charlie Day is the easy scene-stealer here, and he'll probably be even better to audiences that don't know him from It's Always Sunny, and as much as I think a lot of that comes from the fact that he's given the most broad character to work with compared to everyone else, he's still genuinely hilarious throughout and plays vulnerability (his character's most consistent trait) really well. But even for more simple-minded audiences, it'll probably help that he's the loudest person in most scenes (which actually kind of helped me at my showing since the volume felt pretty low the whole time). Now I just have to hope he doesn't get shoved into too every comedy of the next few years, because he seems to use every moment in this movie to ensure that sort of career ahead of him.

Still, all of the main three guys do more than adequate jobs, with Jamie Foxx and the bosses all doing as funny work here as I can recall their filmographies having otherwise. Even when it just comes to Spacey and his character's fluctuating temper, the ways the script constantly finds new ways of exploiting that and the other facets of his insanity makes things really enjoyable anytime he's in it. I only wished the movie had more Farrell, which was backed up for me by what was the best outtake during the end credits: a ridiculous pharmacy scene with him that's not even in the final movie.

It's a pretty straightforward comedy, and it all depends on just how funny you find the cast and the material, but for me, it may or may not still end up being one of the better comedies of the year. It's not an impressively crafted film beyond the commitment to the high-concept premise and its pace, but it does its job by being quite funny. Most importantly though, it's an actually decent big release from this summer, which has otherwise been a pretty slim list so far.

Mara
07-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Well, yes. I hadn't thought about it that way.

MadMan
07-12-2011, 04:16 AM
The thought did occur to me that perhaps I won't enjoy these types of dumb but really funny male oriented comedies when I'm older, and not in my 20s. Maybe, but then again maybe not....

Anyways, this was really humorous, and I enjoyed it a lot more than The Hangover Part II, and even Hall Pass, although Hall Pass is a bit more "mature" (if you can even really call it that). I thought each of the three main characters had a lot to bring to the table, but my main complaint was that the movie needed more Collin Farrell. Kevin Spacey was kind of funny, but really Farrell stole every single scene he was in. Jamie Foxx naturally was awesome, but they really used him sparingly which was a wise choice.

In other words, I'm mostly echoing what Henry's actually good, much longer review said. So far though I'd say this summer has had some comedies actually worth watching, although The Other Guys and Hot Tub Time Machine from 2010 are much better than any of the ones I've viewed from this year.

eternity
07-12-2011, 10:31 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but nothing about the concept seems funny. If any of the bosses actually die

You really can't make anything funny out of that unless if the movie gets MUCH darker than most studio flicks would ever be willing to go.

Qrazy
07-12-2011, 10:37 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but nothing about the concept seems funny. If any of the bosses actually die

You really can't make anything funny out of that unless if the movie gets MUCH darker than most studio flicks would ever be willing to go.

It's a black comedy. Plenty of black comedies go that dark. Who are you, Irish?

eternity
07-12-2011, 10:43 PM
It's a black comedy. Plenty of black comedies go that dark. Who are you, Irish?
Well, yeah. They also don't open up on 3000 screens and the discussion about the "blackness" aren't usually an afterthought.

I just get the feeling that the movie isn't really willing to "go there". Unless if it is.

Qrazy
07-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Well, yeah. They also don't open up on 3000 screens and the discussion about the "blackness" aren't usually an afterthought.

I just get the feeling that the movie isn't really willing to "go there". Unless if it is.

Read the synopsis. Spoilers.

One boss does die, but the other boss kills him so the three main leads are still nice people. Hooray.

Sycophant
08-21-2011, 01:56 AM
I wanted to see what Ian Pugh saw in this movie (http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/horriblebosses.htm), some sort of excoriation of white male entitlement and paranoia. But while I think there's some of that going on in the background, I don't think the film is ultimately successful in delivering such a message, if all the film's authors were actually in on it.

Still funny in parts. Not worthless. Foxx is pretty priceless.

Irish
10-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Horrible Bosses was good but not great. It's funny, but in amusing, make-you-grin kind of way and not in a splitting sides, rolling on the floor, gasping for air kind of way. Well made and well executed, fun and diverting, but not exceptionally memorable.

The story is a mash up of 9 to 5 and Throw Momma from the Train, so a lot of the plot elements feel pretty tired. The pacing is relentless, though, and the script is smart enough to focus on jokes instead of story.

The movie's biggest advantage is in its cast, who are collectively and individually firing on all cylinders. The timing and delivery is so smooth it feels like this group has been working together for years. I can't remember any recent pictures that were cast this well, down to the smaller supporting roles. (It's a good sign when they bring in experienced players like Julie Bowen for brief roles.)

Speaking of which, for a movie called Horrible Bosses, the bosses aren't in it enough. Spacey, Aniston, and Farrell are all over the top funny and infinitely watchable. The entire premise and all the best material centers around their characters, but I'd guess they have less than 10 minutes of screen time apiece (Farrell might be clocking in at under 5).

B-side
10-16-2011, 05:26 AM
I actually found the bits between Farrell and Sudeikis to be the best.

Irish
10-16-2011, 05:47 AM
I actually found the bits between Farrell and Sudeikis to be the best.
I thought Sudeikis did an incredible job, as did all the major players. If I were more compulsive, I'd watch this movie again with stopwatch in hand to see how the screen time breaks out by charcter.

It was my impression that the final cut seems overly focused on Aniston, while giving Farrell the short shrift. I was surprised How few scenes he had here.

Dukefrukem
11-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Farrell, Aniston and Spacey were great. I laughed a lot.

Ezee E
12-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Needed more Farrell. But consistently funny whenever the bosses were involved. All three main leads are good to.

Enjoyable for it's short run time. Although nothing hilarious in the long term.

Spinal
01-09-2012, 06:32 AM
I'm surprised at the high percentage of people who liked this. I laughed out loud once.

"I was drag racing."
"In a Prius?"
"I don't win a lot."

Dukefrukem
01-09-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm surprised at the high percentage of people who liked this. I laughed out loud once.

"I was drag racing."
"In a Prius?"
"I don't win a lot."

It was the 2nd best R-rated comedy this year.

TGM
01-09-2012, 03:02 PM
What did you think was the first?

Dukefrukem
01-09-2012, 03:27 PM
What did you think was the first?

1. Super
2. Horrible Bosses
3. Bridesmaids
4. Your Highness
5. The Hangover 2
6. Bad Teacher

n/a The change up

Lucky
01-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I'd rank Bridesmaids and Friends with Benefits over Horrible Bosses.

number8
01-09-2012, 04:06 PM
FWB is good? I started NSA and turned it off halfway because of its obvious and pretty desperate bid for gender equality.

Dukefrukem
01-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Based on the cast alone, I would have gussed No Strings Attached is the stronger movie.

number8
01-09-2012, 04:13 PM
You think Ashton Kutcher is a stronger lead than Justin Timberlake?

Lucky
01-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Oh yeah, FWB is hands-down better than NSA. FWB has an awesome cast with a handful of cameo surprises and great supporting parts (Patricia Clarkson and Woody Harrelson). NSA has Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman at her most grating. And yes, I'm consdering Garden State.

They're both conventional romantic comedies, but I at least enjoyed FWB during the ride for the company involved.

Dukefrukem
01-09-2012, 04:28 PM
You think Ashton Kutcher is a stronger lead than Justin Timberlake?

For a comedy? Ummm yes.

number8
01-09-2012, 04:32 PM
You think Ashton Kutcher is funnier than Justin Timberlake?!

Lucky
01-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Another difference between the two is their target market. NSA seems targeted more broadly towards women and hereby embodies the "grand romantic comedy" arc more, while FWB embraces a savvier niche and aims more for the 20-somethings. As one example, FWB utilizes a flash mob where NSA takes the more traditional wedding approach.

Dukefrukem
01-09-2012, 04:43 PM
You think Ashton Kutcher is funnier than Justin Timberlake?!

Very much so.

Obviously I haven't seen either of these movies yet, but I'm basing this solely on what I've seen on SNL and That 70's Show, Dude Where's My Car.

transmogrifier
01-09-2012, 04:59 PM
You think Ashton Kutcher is a stroner lead than Justin Timberlake?!

Yes. Justin Timberlake is a damp squib as an actor. I've only really liked him in The Social Network. He's terrible in Black Snake Moan.

And I'm not exactly a huge Kutcher fan.

Raiders
01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Yeah, you guys are silly. Every single thing I have ever seen Timberlake in that is comedic he has been hilarious. I'm not going to vouch for his work as a dramatic actor, but he's one funny motherfucker.

Pop Trash
01-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Based on the cast alone, I would have gussed No Strings Attached is the stronger movie.

No. It's second place on my 2011 Shit List.

Spinal
01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
1. Super
2. Horrible Bosses
3. Bridesmaids
4. Your Highness
5. The Hangover 2
6. Bad Teacher

n/a The change up

I definitely laughed far more at Bridesmaids. And I don't think I'll be seeing any of those other movies. Maybe Hangover 2 at some point.

Henry Gale
01-09-2012, 10:42 PM
I have no reason to like Kutcher aside from having enjoyed That '70s Show and Dude, Where's My Car? as a kid, but he might as well be Bill Murray compared to Timberlake's displays of comedic abilities on film. Timberlake gets way too much of a pass just for being decent on SNL when everything he's done outside of it has been unbearable. He's a black hole for punchlines in both Friends With Benefits and Bad Teacher (I might have even enjoyed the latter without him, but FWB is just a smarmy slog either way), and I think his role as Jaques Le Coq in the The Love Guru needs no explanation. He just feels like someone badly quoting lines from comedy movies, only he's the one getting the first crack at delivering them.

So yeah, No Strings Attached is better, but probably only when graded as a standard romantic comedy. It actually makes an attempt to commit to its premise and many characters and works realtively well because of it. FWB, on the other hand, likes to think that having every joke stem from being extremely self-aware of the genre it's in and constantly talking about how cliche their sort of situation is means that it'll automatically transcend it, but then it moves onto falling into every other convention without a shred of irony, all leading to finale that could have been transplanted from any other terrible aughts rom-com.

Horrible Bosses is a lot of fun though.

Ezee E
01-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Timberlake is better at Kutcher at probably everything that exists.

Dukefrukem
01-10-2012, 12:22 AM

I'm with Gale here. Watch Bad Teacher and tell me Kutcher wouldn't be better in that role.

Henry Gale
01-10-2012, 02:43 AM

At everything other than making me laugh in movies, most definitely.

EyesWideOpen
01-10-2012, 02:55 AM
I'm with Gale here. Watch Bad Teacher and tell me Kutcher wouldn't be better in that role.

Yes, Kutcher is more deserving to be in a shitty movie.