PDA

View Full Version : Zero Dark Thirty (Kathryn Bigelow)

Morris Schæffer
05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30895

Dukefrukem
05-06-2011, 01:16 PM
:|

Ezee E
05-06-2011, 03:17 PM
?

Morris Schæffer
02-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Kyle chandler joins the cast

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/53673

Kiusagi
08-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Teaser:
EYFhFYoDAo4

So I thought Zero Dark Thirty was just a working title, but looks like it's official now. Not much to say about the teaser, other than "I think there is a slight possibility this is something I want to see".

Dukefrukem
08-06-2012, 04:34 PM

Watashi
08-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Can we please unMorris-fy this thread title now?

number8
08-06-2012, 04:38 PM
HUUUUARRREEE ISSS HEEEE??!!! HUUAAAARRRE IS BHIN LHHAADEN!!! HUAARRREEE IS HEE?!

Morris Schæffer
08-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Can we please unMorris-fy this thread title now?

THE THREAD TITLE MUST BE MORE SEVERE!

Irish
10-12-2012, 04:35 AM
sXkccpnoetw

I hate the title -- it makes the movie sound like Counterstrike DLC -- but the trailer is intriguing.

I'm starting to think Bigelow is one of the most interesting directors out there right now.

Watashi
10-12-2012, 04:42 AM
Hey Irish, you do know we have preexisting threads dedicated to these films.

Morris Schæffer
10-12-2012, 05:52 AM
New trailer lacks urgency, lacks any kind of compelling imagery, or dialogue but I have high hopes nonetheless.

transmogrifier
10-12-2012, 06:01 AM
I like the title. Much better than something like "Most Wanted" or "The Compound" or "Executive Action" or whatever generic crap most studios seem to prefer for this sort of thing.

max314
10-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Yawn. The War on Terror is so last decade.

Wake me when we start making movies in which Americans are killing the Chinese, or an equivalent East Asian Communist nation. Oh wait, I'm up (http://youtu.be/nGoe7BdGdlg).

Dead & Messed Up
12-19-2012, 07:02 AM
This movie was surprisingly tense, given all the foregone conclusions, and Chastain gives a fine performance, although her role is to be intense and look intense and focus on monitors with steely determination - I half-expected her to point at something and say, "Stop, go back, enhance that." The film's biggest virtue, that it's wrapped up in the step-by-step minutiae of terrorist hunting/gathering, also sometimes bites it in the ass, especially during the final raid, which is satisfying, but probably goes on a little longer than necessary. Those who've seen and liked The Hurt Locker are likely to be fine with Bigelow's documentary approach to collecting and displaying shots. I admire her dedication to her style, despite my sometimes-frustrations with jittery cinematographs. The matter-of-fact torture scenes that open the picture are probably the most effective and worthwhile sequences in the film; the rest of the film is superior procedural-thriller, but those moments sting. There's also a suspense scene in the middle with a car arriving at a station that will impress many. I found it a little goofy, but I have no idea how true those events are.

All in all, a pretty strong film, worth watching.

Qrazy
12-19-2012, 07:08 AM
This movie was surprisingly tense, given all the foregone conclusions, and Chastain gives a fine performance, although her role is to be intense and look intense and focus on monitors with steely determination - I half-expected her to point at something and say, "Stop, go back, enhance that." The film's biggest virtue, that it's wrapped up in the step-by-step minutiae of terrorist hunting/gathering, also sometimes bites it in the ass, especially during the final raid, which is satisfying, but probably goes on a little longer than necessary. Those who've seen and liked The Hurt Locker are likely to be fine with Bigelow's documentary approach to collecting and displaying shots. I admire her dedication to her style, despite my sometimes-frustrations with jittery cinematographs. The matter-of-fact torture scenes that open the picture are probably the most effective and worthwhile sequences in the film; the rest of the film is superior procedural-thriller, but those moments sting. There's also a suspense scene in the middle with a car arriving at a station that will impress many. I found it a little goofy, but I have no idea how true those events are.

All in all, a pretty strong film, worth watching.

Given how not true most of The Hurt Locker was I'm guessing it isn't especially accurate.

MadMan
12-19-2012, 07:10 AM
What about the film's moral implications that everyone is talking about? The current debate is why I want to see the film. I remember when Bin Laden was killed people were yelling "AMERICAH!"

Dead & Messed Up
12-19-2012, 07:19 AM
What about the film's moral implications that everyone is talking about? The current debate is why I want to see the film. I remember when Bin Laden was killed people were yelling "AMERICAH!"

The film shows events. Its characters are generally disinterested in moral dimensions.

MadMan
12-19-2012, 07:40 AM
The film shows events. Its characters are generally disinterested in moral dimensions.That's disappointing.

number8
12-19-2012, 10:30 PM
People are complaining about Lincoln's familiar faces? This movie is a who's who of television.

Ivan Drago
12-19-2012, 11:03 PM
People are complaining about Lincoln's familiar faces? This movie is a who's who of television.

Yep. The first time I saw the trailer and saw Taylor Kinney, I thought to myself "Woah, Severide from Chicago Fire's in this?"

number8
12-19-2012, 11:10 PM
I thought John Barrowman was just gonna stand there and not have any lines at first.

Also, apparently according to the credits, that pilot at the end whose face you couldn't really see in the wide shot is Human Target's Mark Valley.

D_Davis
12-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Really looking forward to this.

Finally got around to seeing Hurt Locker last week, and I liked it quite a bit.

D_Davis
12-19-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm starting to think Bigelow is one of the most interesting directors out there right now.

I think she always has been. It's a sad commentary on the state of the film industry at large when she's special, in part, because she is a woman making "guy films." I also happen to think most of her movies are really freaking good, too. However, in the spotlight of traditional gender roles and stereotypes, especially in the good old boys club of Hollywood, she is very interesting.