PDA

View Full Version : Grindhouse 6-Disc DVD Set in March!!! (if you're Japanese)

Ivan Drago
12-29-2007, 11:42 PM
http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/artman2/publish/movie_news/Six-disc_Grindhouse_DVD_coming_thi s_March_42281207.php

HorrorMovies.ca are reporting that a six-disc special edition of Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez's GRINDHOUSE movie is set for release this coming March. Oh yeah! This is what we have been waiting for!

The site also provided details on what will be included within the release. It's juicy, really juicy... Take a look at this, and click here for more!

Disc 1: Death Proof (Extended Film)
-English DTS, English DD, Japanese dub
-Japanese subtitles
-Japanese Theatrical/TV trailers
-Staff/Cast Profiles (Text)
-What is Grindhouse? (Text)

Disc 2: Planet Terror (Extended Film)
-English DTS, English DD, Japanese dub
-Japanese Subtitles
-Rodriguez commentary
-International/Japanese trailers
-Staff/Cast Profiles (Text)
-What is Grindhouse? (Text)

Disc 3: Death Proof bonus materials
-Special Message to Japan from Tarantino
-Staff and Cast interviews on Death Proof
-Stunts on Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof (20:39)
-Introducing Zoƫ Bell (8:59)
-Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike (9:34)
-Finding Quentin's Gals (21:14)
-The Uncut Version of "Baby, It's You" Performed by Mary Elizabeth Winstead (1:4Cool
-The Guys of Death Proof (8:16)
-Quentin's Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke (4:3Cool
-Double Dare Trailer (2:36)

Disc 4: Planet Terror bonus materials
-10-Minute Film School (11:52)
-The Badass Babes of Planet Terror (11:50)
-The Guys of Planet Terror (16:32)
-Casting Rebel (05:34)
-Sickos, Bullets and Explosions: The Stuns of Planet Terror (13:1Cool
-The Friend, The Doctor and The Real Estate Agent (6:42)

Disc 5: Grindhouse (191 minute theatrical cut)
-English DD, Japanese dub
-Japanese subtitles

Disc 6: Japanese only Grindhouse bonus disc (106 minutes)
-Grindhouse - US Trailer
-2006 San Diego Comicon
-Tarantino Interview (About the homages in Death Proof, About Planet Terror, Use of Music, Possible Sequel to Death Proof)
-Staff/Cast comments
-The Directors of the Fake Trailers
-Coments on past Grindhouse Films
-Making Of Planet Terror

EDIT: Crap, it's the Japanese release. But there's hope.

Sycophant
12-29-2007, 11:46 PM
It sounds awesome, but it seems like it's going to be a Japanese release, right? So it should be going for something like $300 to $400, I'd imagine.

Otherwise, I'd be all over it.

Ezee E
12-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Psh.

Henry Gale
12-30-2007, 01:38 AM
Yeah, only in Japan. But it would be cool if something like that ever comes over here though.

Sxottlan
12-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Just build me up and then tear me down. :sad:

bac0n
12-30-2007, 05:09 PM
I knew that region-free dvd player would come in handy one day! w00t!

Mysterious Dude
12-30-2007, 05:15 PM
This news is so great, I will celebrate it by using three exclamation marks!!!

Spinal
12-30-2007, 05:26 PM
It's juicy, really juicy...

:|

number8
12-30-2007, 08:57 PM
It sounds awesome, but it seems like it's going to be a Japanese release, right? So it should be going for something like $300 to $400, I'd imagine.

Otherwise, I'd be all over it.

It's $65 plus shipping on Amazon Japan.

Ivan Drago
12-30-2007, 11:02 PM
:|

This news is so great, I will celebrate it by using three exclamation marks!!!

:rolleyes:

Sorry. At first I thought it was American, but I should've read the article better the first time I read it. But I think Superbad is a masterpiece, so what do I know?

Sycophant
12-31-2007, 12:43 AM
It's $65 plus shipping on Amazon Japan.
That's shockingly reasonable. I may just have to go for it.

number8
12-31-2007, 03:25 AM
That's shockingly reasonable. I may just have to go for it.

Yeah, so am I. I figured if they'd ever release this in the states (big if), it'll probably be about the same price.

I'm glad I never bought the separate PT and DP DVDs.

Sven
12-31-2007, 04:58 AM
But I think Superbad is a masterpiece, so what do I know?

Enough with the self-deprecation! It is old hat.

origami_mustache
12-31-2007, 05:47 AM
That really just seems excessive.

Sven
12-31-2007, 06:06 AM
That really just seems excessive.

I thought the same thing.

EvilShoe
12-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Can we please block the word masterpiece from match-cut?

Sven
12-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Can we please block the word masterpiece from match-cut?

It is rather ubiquitous, isn't it? I do cringe when I see it, most of the time. It's lost its special meaning and has come to mean "a movie I really really like".

Ezee E
12-31-2007, 03:58 PM
It is rather ubiquitous, isn't it? I do cringe when I see it, most of the time. It's lost its special meaning and has come to mean "a movie I really really like".
what's the difference between masterpiece and movie I really really like other then one sounding more analytical and smart then the other?

EvilShoe
12-31-2007, 04:20 PM
what's the difference between masterpiece and movie I really really like other then one sounding more analytical and smart then the other?
Masterpiece makes it sound like a fact. As in: everyone else should love this movie as well, since it's brilliant.

Sven
12-31-2007, 04:26 PM

"Masterpiece" does not sound analytical and smart. It should, but doesn't anymore.

Raiders
12-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Masterpiece makes it sound like a fact. As in: everyone else should love this movie as well, since it's brilliant.

Well, I feel that way about all films I love. Everyone else should love them. I know they won't, but they should.

Ezee E
12-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, I feel that way about all films I love. Everyone else should love them. I know they won't, but they should.
Indeed. In my mind, whenever I use the word, or grade it as a masterpiece, it is one to me. There Will Be Blood is most definitely one of them.

The only other way to judge movies as a masterpiece is if it gets a 9.0+ rating on the Match Cut Consensus I guess. Very few movies achieve that!

EvilShoe
12-31-2007, 04:49 PM
I shall not!

I guess I just feel the term "masterpiece" is too arrogant.

Spinal
12-31-2007, 04:52 PM
"Masterpiece" does not sound analytical and smart. It should, but doesn't anymore.

Well, it would help not to use the term in conjunction with a film where the height of comedy is a teenage boy freaking out over the sight of menstrual blood on his pants.

Sven
12-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, it would help not to use the term in conjunction with a film where the height of comedy is a teenage boy freaking out over the sight of menstrual blood on his pants.

Pretty much.

Ivan Drago
12-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Enough with the self-deprecation! It is old hat.

"Old hat"? :confused: I've never heard anything being described as "old hat".

EDIT: What the hell happened in this thread?

Thirdy
12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
"Old hat"? :confused: I've never heard anything being described as "old hat".

:: Smacks forehead ::

Ezee E
12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
poor Drago.

Mysterious Dude
12-31-2007, 05:54 PM
A masterpiece is supposed to be an artist's greatest work, but people say things like, "Paul Thomas Anderson now has two masterpieces!" The word is used too much.

Ivan Drago
12-31-2007, 10:35 PM

poor Drago.

:rolleyes: I'm done with this.

number8
01-01-2008, 01:10 AM
You've never heard of the term old hat?

Boner M
01-01-2008, 02:14 AM
One of the more awkward threads I've read.

Ezee E
01-01-2008, 02:07 PM
A masterpiece is supposed to be an artist's greatest work, but people say things like, "Paul Thomas Anderson now has two masterpieces!" The word is used too much.
Three. Actually.

Ivan Drago
01-01-2008, 08:35 PM
You've never heard of the term old hat?

No. Never. Not even once in my lifetime.

Okay, maybe I'm quick to call Superbad a masterpiece, but it's became a new, huge personal favorite of mine. Appy polly loggies.

Ezee E
01-02-2008, 01:35 AM
No. Never. Not even once in my lifetime.

Okay, maybe I'm quick to call Superbad a masterpiece, but it's became a new, huge personal favorite of mine. Appy polly loggies.
No problem with calling it a masterpiece if you truely love it. Comedy's the toughest genre to critique in my opinion because they don't have the intentions that a huge drama has. Superbad is about two kids trying to get laid, and it remains consistently funny, and doesn't abandon the characters' motivations and ideals. I liked it a ton too.

But yet, when comparing it to something like Atonement, There Will Be Blood, etc, it just doesn't seem right.

That's partly why you never see comedies win awards either, comedians not getting respect, etc.

Is this 50 words?

Ivan Drago
01-02-2008, 02:34 AM
No problem with calling it a masterpiece if you truely love it.

And I do. I love it that much to call it that, even though it just came out last year.

transmogrifier
01-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I'd buy this DVD set if it were, like, right in front of me in the store I was at for some other reason and I had $70 dollars of disposable income available to me, and there was no, like, special holidays or something coming up where I could really use that money. Like Valentine's Day, or something.

[/steadies the ship]

Sxottlan
12-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Well whadda know, they finally put Planet Terror and Death Proof back together into one long double feature on blu ray.

Just like they should have done on standard years ago.

Saw it at Best Buy tonight.

Sorry, couldn't find the actual Grindhouse thread anywhere.

TGM
12-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Well whadda know, they finally put Planet Terror and Death Proof back together into one long double feature on blu ray.

Just like they should have done on standard years ago.

Saw it at Best Buy tonight.

Sorry, couldn't find the actual Grindhouse thread anywhere.

Yeah, they silently released that one back in October. I'm still waiting on my damn DVD release, however.

Henry Gale
12-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah, they silently released that one back in October. I'm still waiting on my damn DVD release, however.

It's definitely available, too. I've seen it everywhere for just a couple of dollars less than the Blu. Unless you mean you're still waiting on an order of it.

The set is still pretty great, especially the behind-the-scenes for each individual fake trailer and the really long New York Times talk with Rodriguez and Tarantino. It's basically the great special edition we should have had three years ago, only now, and with the option of it being on an even better format than DVD.

number8
12-12-2010, 06:55 PM
They also attached the original Hobo with a Shotgun trailer on the feature.

EyesWideOpen
12-12-2010, 08:12 PM
My only negative is this set doesn't contain the extended versions of the two movies just the shortened "Grindhouse" version so if your a big fan of the film you have to buy three separate releases.

Ezee E
12-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Can't really see why one would want to see the extended edition anyway.

EyesWideOpen
12-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Can't really see why one would want to see the extended edition anyway.

If I could only choose one I'd choose the extended version of Death Proof over the "Grindhouse" film.

megladon8
12-13-2010, 12:50 AM
I have to say that this set came about 2 years too late for me to care.

They really missed the mark on this one.

Spaceman Spiff
12-13-2010, 02:00 AM
One of the more awkward threads I've read.

haha, i was thinking this too.

TGM
12-13-2010, 02:30 AM
It's definitely available, too. I've seen it everywhere for just a couple of dollars less than the Blu. Unless you mean you're still waiting on an order of it.

Unless it was released even more recently (and more quietly) than the blu-ray release, I was under the impression that we still didn't get a DVD release of the film. Not in America, at least.

Ivan Drago
12-13-2010, 03:58 AM
I plan on getting it once I get a blu-ray player and HDTV.

By the way, if this can come out, so can Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair!

Sxottlan
12-13-2010, 09:24 AM
By the way, if this can come out, so can Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair!

Damn skippy.

Sxottlan
12-13-2010, 09:25 AM
My only negative is this set doesn't contain the extended versions of the two movies just the shortened "Grindhouse" version so if your a big fan of the film you have to buy three separate releases.

Were these extended versions what aired on the movie channels?

Because I don't recall seeing any extra content when they aired on television.

number8
12-13-2010, 02:24 PM

When Planet Terror and Death Proof were originally released on DVD separately, they had the "missing reel" put back in.

I don't think it would make any sense to include those in the true Grindhouse release. The missing reels were part of the experience, duh.

Ezee E
12-13-2010, 03:34 PM
When Planet Terror and Death Proof were originally released on DVD separately, they had the "missing reel" put back in.

I don't think it would make any sense to include those in the true Grindhouse release. The missing reels were part of the experience, duh.
Planet Terror's missing reels were for comedic sake. They didn't actually have missing reels did they?

balmakboor
12-13-2010, 05:04 PM
I love the extended edition of Death Proof and was lukewarm on Planet Terror as part of the Grindhouse experience. So, yeah, no big plans to get this any time soon. Now a full cut of Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair in a cool Blu-ray boxset is something I'm very eagerly awaiting.

Raiders
12-13-2010, 05:07 PM
I believe that the DVD/Blu ray release of Planet Terror was a somewhat different film, right? It was the extended version with Tony Block's storyline altered entirely, no?

balmakboor
12-13-2010, 05:10 PM
I believe that the DVD/Blu ray release of Planet Terror was a somewhat different film, right? It was the extended version with Tony Block's storyline altered entirely, no?

Now that I don't know. I've never seen the extended Planet Terror.

number8
12-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I'd heard that Rodriguez shot a version specifically for his son where the kid survives to the end. I don't know where it's included in, though.

Henry Gale
12-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I'd heard that Rodriguez shot a version specifically for his son where the kid survives to the end. I don't know where it's included in, though.

Haha yeah, they had B-roll footage of this in one of the featurettes on the first release. Basically he just did that so that his son would think he lived until the end, by having them do one take where he was still running around with the group the rest of the way through. But he said he never had any intention of editing it that way for any version (except for his kid, I guess).

Unless it was released even more recently (and more quietly) than the blu-ray release, I was under the impression that we still didn't get a DVD release of the film. Not in America, at least.

That's weird. I just checked Amazon.ca and then .com, and it seems like the DVD may be available here as a Canadian exclusive. It's been out from the same day as the Blu-ray, and well under $20 (Canadian) every time I've seen it. Seems like an odd thing to do.

EyesWideOpen
12-14-2010, 07:57 PM

The runtime of Death Proof in Grindhouse is 87 minutes the extended version is 114.

The runtime of Planet Terror in Grindhouse is 91 minutes the extended version is 105.

Sxottlan
12-15-2010, 09:42 AM
The runtime of Death Proof in Grindhouse is 87 minutes the extended version is 114.

:eek:

What kind of scenes were included in the longer cut?

number8
12-15-2010, 01:31 PM
:eek:

What kind of scenes were included in the longer cut?

This, for one.

2IwIFWe6gGM