View Full Version : Parks and Recreation

Pages : [1] 2

Adam
01-21-2011, 02:38 AM
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss47/adamstone20/pyramid-jumbo.jpg

MadMan
01-25-2011, 05:01 PM
:lol:
Ron Swanson and the fact that DaMu keeps promoting the show cause he works on it are why I'm thinking of finally giving this show another chance. I've seen a few episodes previously and found them only mildly funny, but hey maybe its gotten better over time. Or something.

D_Davis
01-25-2011, 11:48 PM
I've seen a few episodes previously and found them only mildly funny, but hey maybe its gotten better over time. Or something.

It's not a HAHAHA, LOL, knee-slapping show. It is most mildly funny, and that's the point. It is kind of subtle, and way more about the characters and the on going story than it is about comedic situations.

transmogrifier
01-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Haven't really gotten into this. It's just...there.

MadMan
01-26-2011, 08:06 AM
It's not a HAHAHA, LOL, knee-slapping show. It is most mildly funny, and that's the point. It is kind of subtle, and way more about the characters and the on going story than it is about comedic situations.Sometimes I like comedy that is subtitle, but most of the time I'm more of a "Haha, LOL knee-slapper" comedy kind of guy, which could explain why I haven't embraced Parks and Rec.

Henry Gale
07-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Haha yes. Ron's first wife has been cast. (http://www.tvline.com/2011/07/parks-and-recreation-patricia-clarkson-tammy-1/)

Qrazy
07-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Sometimes I like comedy that is subtitle, but most of the time I'm more of a "Haha, LOL knee-slapper" comedy kind of guy, which could explain why I haven't embraced Parks and Rec.

Yeah, parks and rec is really subtitle humor.

*slaps forehead, falls downstairs*

Derek
07-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah, parks and rec is really subtitle humor.

*slaps forehead, falls downstairs*

Maybe the characters should look into the camera more often to let you know they get the joke too, but that could take away from the show's subtitle charms.

I have to admit this show is my guilty pleasure.

transmogrifier
07-28-2011, 11:46 PM

Why guilty? Isn't it fawned upon by most internet TV commentators?

Qrazy
07-28-2011, 11:48 PM

Yeah, it's fun times, particularly the tammy/ron sequences.

[ETM]
07-28-2011, 11:55 PM
MadMan never got it, did he?

Winston*
07-29-2011, 01:10 AM
I think this show is funny and charming and I enjoy watching it. No guilt.

Lucky
07-31-2011, 04:47 AM
This show went from catching it randomly here and there to must see DVR this past season.

Kurosawa Fan
09-15-2011, 01:06 PM
So I've been watching this show on my lunch breaks and in between classes at school, and am almost finished with the second season. This show is fantastic. The characters are very human, which isn't something you normally see on a sitcom. Even the peripheral characters like Jerry and Donna are more than just punchlines (though Jerry certainly crosses the line at times, but has moments of redemption). It's hard not to compare it to The Office, given the format, but where this succeeds and that fails is in the connections between the characters. There's no bitterness or animosity here. Sure, the idealism and cynicism of the characters clash as a way of creating the humor, but in the end, each character cares about the others, and rather than arguing and fighting, the dialogue is comprised of banter.

Anyway, I never would have given the show a second chance had it not been for those who are fans of it on this site, so for that I thank you. I'll be very disappointed when I catch up. Having this as part of my almost daily routine has been a lot of fun. Also, any awards show that deals with television and doesn't at least nominate Nick Offerman should be ashamed.

Mara
09-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Anyway, I never would have given the show a second chance had it not been for those who are fans of it on this site, so for that I thank you. I'll be very disappointed when I catch up. Having this as part of my almost daily routine has been a lot of fun. Also, any awards show that deals with television and doesn't at least nominate Nick Offerman should be ashamed.

I was embarrassed by how few comedies I watched when we had the Cutties, so I caught up on this, Community, Party Down and Childrens Hospital. I wasn't disappointed in any of them.

Apparently, the idea that there were no good comedies on television right now was all in my head.

EyesWideOpen
09-15-2011, 01:37 PM
I was embarrassed by how few comedies I watched when we had the Cutties, so I caught up on this, Community, Party Down and Childrens Hospital. I wasn't disappointed in any of them.

Apparently, the idea that there were no good comedies on television right now was all in my head.

If only we could get more people to watch Childrens Hospital!

Mara
09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
If only we could get more people to watch Childrens Hospital!

It's, like, SEVEN MINUTES LONG, people. The investment to payoff ratio is astronomical!

Nick Offerman is on it, sometimes.

Thirdmango
09-15-2011, 03:02 PM
There's currently just three of us I think who are on the Children's Hospital bandwagon. I too watched it mainly due to EWO's insistence and it is quite amazing. I really need to try and get to the second season of Parks. It's just so hard at first.

Acapelli
09-15-2011, 05:25 PM
i'm on the ch bandwagon, i just don't talk about it here

p&r is my favorite sitcom on tv right now

Kurosawa Fan
09-15-2011, 05:39 PM
I'll try to find it online. That's kind of my prerequisite for watching a show. Sad, but true.

Mara
09-15-2011, 05:50 PM
I'll try to find it online. That's kind of my prerequisite for watching a show. Sad, but true.

I think someone put the whole first season on YouTube. Sad but true.

Kurosawa Fan
09-15-2011, 05:52 PM
I think someone put the whole first season on YouTube. Sad but true.

Awesome. Perhaps I'll give a couple a go tonight.

Also, just finished the telethon episode of Parks. Might be the funniest episode thus far. Ron's sleep fighting was a stroke of genius, as was his restringing the chair. So many great moments in that episode.

EyesWideOpen
09-15-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't see how anyone who liked party down wouldn't like childrens hospital.

Henry Gale
09-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Oh, Childrens Hospital is great. The Chet episode and the finale were just genius.

I know we have an Adult Swim thread, but I've never seen anyone talk too much about their recent live action shows. I think it's gotten to a point where even though there's still only a handful of them (CH, Delocated, Eagleheart, NTSF:SD:SUV::) they've suddenly become some of the network's funniest stuff.

[ETM]
09-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Today's TeeFury:
http://www.teefury.com/products_large_images/1311807293_BOTTOM__072715h47m5 6.jpg

Mara
09-21-2011, 11:14 PM
How did I not know Nick Offerman is actually married to Megan Mullally?

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT?

Mara
09-23-2011, 02:30 AM
Aw, this was really good. Except whats-his-name, who keeps getting more annoying. Tom. I had to look it up. Sheesh.

Adam Scott is a really attractive man.

And I've forgotten a weird fact I learned during The West Wing: the difference between Rob Lowe being a really attractive man and Rob Lowe being funny looking is about an inch of hair.

Love April and Andy.

Acapelli
09-23-2011, 02:35 AM
aw i love aziz. you guys seem to really not like him though

it's like me and magnitude all over again

Mara
09-23-2011, 02:40 AM
aw i love aziz. you guys seem to really not like him though

He was funny at first, but the joke is played out and he doesn't have anything new to do, but continues to get lots of screen time. It's annoying.

Acapelli
09-23-2011, 02:45 AM
do you feel the same about jean ralphio?

ledfloyd
09-23-2011, 02:47 AM
i love aziz as well. i thought he had some great stuff towards the end of last season. his interplay with andy is always great as well. 'wait, destroy my credit cards... debt and everything!?'

it's so good to have this show back, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy, or maybe that's just my love for april.

Acapelli
09-23-2011, 02:53 AM
no, i think it's the show. that last scene between ben and leslie was executed perfectly

:sad: though

Mara
09-23-2011, 01:10 PM
do you feel the same about jean ralphio?

He is much more of a minor character, so it's not quite as annoying. He is one-joke, though.

Kurosawa Fan
09-24-2011, 03:04 AM
All caught up.

I love this show. So much.

EyesWideOpen
09-24-2011, 03:11 AM
All caught up.

YAY!

Mara
09-24-2011, 06:30 PM
All caught up.

More than Cougarton Abbey?

Kurosawa Fan
09-24-2011, 07:15 PM
More than Cougarton Abbey?

I don't know what this is. A mashup of Cougar Town and Downton Abbey, I'm sure, but I don't get the reference.

Mara
09-24-2011, 09:57 PM
I don't know what this is. A mashup of Cougar Town and Downton Abbey, I'm sure, but I don't get the reference.

Aw, catch up on Community.

Kurosawa Fan
09-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Aw, catch up on Community.

My little sister has been staying with us for the last couple nights, so we haven't been able to watch it yet. Hoping to tomorrow night. Consider me even more excited, considering the reference.

Mara
09-24-2011, 11:30 PM
My little sister has been staying with us for the last couple nights, so we haven't been able to watch it yet. Hoping to tomorrow night. Consider me even more excited, considering the reference.

I wouldn't have referenced it, but for some reason I thought you'd already seen it. It's pretty fun.

Lucky
09-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Solid opener. Excited to see Patricia Clarkson, methinks she'll be great here.

Mara
09-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Has anyone mentioned how awesome Swanson's escape plan was? Because it was pretty much awesome.

Mara
09-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Maybe I'm just in a good mood today, but I'm being totally tickled by all the NBC comedies from last night. This was a really funny episode, right? Whipped (and clean-shaven) Ron? Ben being appalled by Aziz's business? (A fun spiritual sequel to last year's "Ben being appalled by April and Andy's life.") Tammy 1 was appropriately creepy. Tammy 0 was kind of a disappointment, but mostly because I wanted her to be played by Margo Martindale in character as Mags Bennet.

Overall, fun.

ledfloyd
09-30-2011, 07:33 PM
i don't think there was a joke or gag in this episode that didn't work for me.

Kurosawa Fan
09-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Yep. Love this show.

Mara
09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Even the camera gag with Ann and Rob Lowe was funny. Could have been stupid, but instead I laughed every time he screamed "DIABETES!!!!"

Reminded me of the classic gag from Sports Night when Dan can't pronounce "Yevgeny Kafelnikov" and has a total mental break.

Lucky
09-30-2011, 08:17 PM
I love it when Leslie gets drunk. Always hilarious. Amy Poehler has impeccable comic timing.

EDIT: It's on Youtube, success!

YH8l_PIJvBI

Mara
10-07-2011, 02:13 AM
This was pretty great. Ben is so good at the goggled reaction shot that he really doesn't need any lines. And the birthers gag is almost dated, but still pretty amusing. Loved Ann trying to engage Ron and April. And every time Andy pretends to be FBI, I love him more.

Henry Gale
10-07-2011, 02:28 AM
This show has gotten so funny. I think these last two episodes (and maybe even the premiere) have been some of its best ever.

It's almost like live-action golden age Simpsons at this point in the way it continues to expand its small town into a huge, ridiculous universe with no shortage of great characters with as many jokes as possible packed into it as possible, while still somehow finding room for actual heart at its core. I couldn't love it any more right now.

Lucky
10-07-2011, 03:18 AM
Mo Collins was especially great in this episode. Ron's face after April called him Lester was priceless.

Mara
10-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Mo Collins was especially great in this episode.

She has really great hair. So full. So shiny.

Ron's face after April called him Lester was priceless.

He sold that perfectly. He was so proud.

D_Davis
10-08-2011, 06:33 PM
It's almost like live-action golden age Simpsons at this point in the way it continues to expand its small town into a huge, ridiculous universe with no shortage of great characters with as many jokes as possible packed into it as possible, while still somehow finding room for actual heart at its core. I couldn't love it any more right now.

That's a really good comparison. I like that.

Thirdmango
10-13-2011, 07:59 AM
So. Angel hasn't been working on netflix and I was looking for something to watch and I realized I had just one episode left in the first season so I started it up. Didn't really like the first season, but then maybe 2 episodes into the second season I started liking it, laughing at moments. Then the Ron and his librarian ex wife episode happened and I was hooked. That episode was so good. I finished 10 episodes of the second season. Good stuff.

Mara
10-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Then the Ron and his librarian ex wife...

They're married in real life! I only recently realized that.

D_Davis
10-19-2011, 06:48 PM
This season has been awesome so far. Need more John Ralphio though.

Loved "treat yo' self!"

D_Davis
10-19-2011, 06:49 PM
My favorite extra is Kyle. I hope there is more of him. Although without the shoe shine stuff, I doubt we'll see him again.

DavidSeven
10-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Finally all caught up. Love this show. This is definitely a show that begs to be watched chronologically from beginning to end. I'll admit to being underwhelmed by the pilot (twice) and never finding the random bits I'd catch on TV to be terribly funny on their own. But these characters really do grow on you. Amy Poehler is so great in this series. She regularly reaches levels of pathos that contemporaries like Carell and Fey, great as they are, could never dream of. Also really glad that they didn't turn Ron Swanson into a "The Office"-style antagonist. Smartest thing they ever did. Such a great character.

Glass Co.
10-21-2011, 09:01 PM
I find the characters are far less archetypal than in The Office. It's rare to see a nutty libertarian or a hipster post-modern 20-something on television, to use a couple of quick examples (only have seen the first season).

Lucky
10-21-2011, 10:37 PM
I read that as "nutty librarian" at first and was very confused.

Mara
10-21-2011, 10:41 PM
No, no, the librarians are all sociopaths.

Dead & Messed Up
10-21-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't know if the librarians are all sociopaths, but they are all awful...although I can see the attraction to Tammy 2.

Thirdmango
10-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Just watched 94 Meetings from season 2. This season has been funny but this is the second episode where I've literally laughed out loud for most of the episode. The other being Ron's second wife episode. The joke of you must be april's sister is the best.

Thirdmango
10-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I was feeling really sick yesterday but the kind where you can't fall asleep so I laid in bed watching the entire 3rd season. This show really is fantastic, Ron Swanson is one of the greatest characters ever created.

D_Davis
11-04-2011, 05:56 PM
This show just keeps getting better and better. And to think it was almost canceled.

Let's hope it ends on a high note, though, and doesn't over stay its welcome like The Office did.

Lucky
11-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah, last night's ep hit so many right notes. Best of the season so far, I'd say. This or the camping trip one.

ledfloyd
11-04-2011, 11:50 PM
http://www.nbc.com/parks-and-recreation/exclusives/road-trip/

the four corners one had me in stitches. god i love andy and april. they are living my idea of a dream marriage.

Mara
11-05-2011, 12:01 AM
http://www.nbc.com/parks-and-recreation/exclusives/road-trip/

the four corners one had me in stitches. god i love andy and april. they are living my idea of a dream marriage.

I love that it's all obviously filmed between California and Arizona, not Indiana and Arizona.

I liked the main plot and the April & Andy subplot, but the party one was dumb. And expensive. Why blow the season's budget on a tiger?

DavidSeven
11-05-2011, 12:26 AM
I think the entire Entertainment 720 storyline has been kind of a flop. Way over-the-top and only tangentially related to the Parks and Recreation Department. I like the Jean-Ralphio character, but there has to be a better way to incorporate him into the show.

Dead & Messed Up
11-05-2011, 12:37 AM
I think the entire Entertainment 720 storyline has been kind of a flop. Way over-the-top and only tangentially related to the Parks and Recreation Department. I like the Jean-Ralphio character, but there has to be a better way to incorporate him into the show.

He should join Sewage. They get all the chicks.

Winston*
11-05-2011, 12:48 AM

I dunno. I thought Adam Scott's tour of their headquarters was one of the funniest parts of this season so far.

Mara
11-05-2011, 01:31 AM
I dunno. I thought Adam Scott's tour of their headquarters was one of the funniest parts of this season so far.

Yeah, that was funny. Overall, though, I can't say I was that interested.

Winston*
11-05-2011, 02:13 AM
I think the biggest mistake this season has been rushing through the three Tammys plot.

Lucky
12-09-2011, 07:02 PM
"Ron Swanson. Any other damn thing you might need."

Mara
12-09-2011, 07:06 PM
I was happy to see Clara from The Guild.

EyesWideOpen
12-11-2011, 01:41 PM
http://nymag.com/arts/tv/features/63637/

Great Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally interview.

Mara
12-11-2011, 10:58 PM
http://nymag.com/arts/tv/features/63637/

Great Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally interview.

She's twelve years older than he is? That surprises me. He looks older than his age, and she looks a little younger.

Great interview, and the picture is hysterical.

EyesWideOpen
12-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Yeah, love that picture. Mullally is incredibly attractive for her age.

Mara
02-10-2012, 10:08 PM
P&R to do a West Wing homage.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/bradley-whitford-to-bring-the-worlds-of-parks-and,69199/

I weep with joy.

Kurosawa Fan
04-05-2012, 02:10 AM
I just noticed, and subsequently purchased, today's TeeFury shirt. I suggest every fan do the same.

Derek
04-05-2012, 02:41 AM
I just noticed, and subsequently purchased, today's TeeFury shirt. I suggest every fan do the same.

Haha, that's good though I prefer the shirt that had this version:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loci5ib0GH1qb81zoo1_500 .jpg

Kurosawa Fan
04-05-2012, 03:50 AM
Yeah, I missed that one, and was in a state of depression, but this one is equally good. I'm stoked.

Dead & Messed Up
04-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Someone is mashing up Ron Swanson and Rorschach, and it is glorious:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2dqthuL171rtvw2jo1_400 .jpg

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2bl3h3T9o1rtvw2jo1_r2_ 500.jpg

Henry Gale
04-25-2012, 11:29 AM
So here in Canada, CityTV showed this week's episode early last night, and aside from being elated by the random surprise, the episode itself really does stand as something pretty fantastic. Paul Rudd finally returns, but there's one guest star aside from him that not everyone may know, but he runs away with some of the funniest lines in an insanely good week for nearly every character. Amy Poehler also wrote and directed it, and I don't know if she's ever done the latter, but I'm sure she's never done both at once for the show. Great stuff all around.

So yeah, not like I'd expect anyone to skip it or anything, but definitely look forward to it.

slqrick
04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Just an incredible episode, maybe the best they've done. I was laughing my ass off at all the Andy shenanigans and was thoroughly invested in the debate. I really like how they've decided to play Paul Rudd's character. Also lovin the Perd.

Henry Gale
05-09-2012, 09:16 PM
An incredible finale to one of the best seasons of any comedy I've had the pleasure of watching as it aired week to week. It's amazing how many great episodes they've put together this year, and even any that could be considered the "worst" ones were a lot better than most shows on network TV and still have a considerable amount of greatness peppered throughout them.

(Not really a spoiler, but talks about the production of this episode and how it played with the end result)I now find it way more interesting that they shot the ending two different ways (Leslie wins, Leslie loses), because I'm not sure how it works any way but what they ended up with. It's not just one scene that deals with the election results, it's almost the entire final act of the episode. And the direction they chose allowed for at least a few moments between Leslie and Ben that couldn't have played any stronger for me.
I really hope they can bring this back for more than just 13 episodes, since I think they did the impossible for a network comedy by executing a 22-episode long arc that informed the plotting of almost every episode, and allowing it to develop and change in ways that never took away from any laughs, and even when it did, it was to allow the characters to let real emotions out in the open that somehow didn't feel out of place against the usual wackiness. There were a couple of moments in this finale where I thought to myself, "Am I watching Parks & Rec or Friday Night Lights right now?!"

slqrick
05-10-2012, 01:42 PM
The finale was "riproaringly hilarious" while giving pretty much every character some nice emotional beats. Poehler really took Leslie Knope to another character this season I thought, and this has probably been my favorite yet. They handled the whole election thing incredibly well all season.

Also, "Ann, my hands. My hands Anne. They're in these round gloves."

ledfloyd
05-10-2012, 02:58 PM
i thought the finale was great but i'm kind of surprised by the rave reviews for the season as a whole. i thought it was significantly more uneven than season 3, which is about as close to a perfect season as a network comedy is ever going to get. thing really snapped into focus with the debate though and i have to admit i'm pretty surprised by the outcome.

i guess i just wasn't expecting a show titled parks and recreation to remove it's main character from the parks and recreation department

but as henry said it's executed pretty effortlessly and the friday night lights comparison is apt. i'm pretty optimistic about season 5 and eager to see how season 4 plays on dvd.

Henry Gale
05-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Well if consistency is the main issue, Season 3 did have nine less episodes than Season 4 and didn't have air through the whole network television season while future episodes were being produced. But in terms of luxuries, it was able to coincide with all calender-specific holidays, each seasonal change, and even keeping the few pop culture bits that trickle into the show a little fresher (which is mostly things like Tom with his hip hop references and bringing up things like Game of Thrones to call out Ben on his nerd-dom). S3 was definitely fantastic too, but it felt like those episodes were banked and then shown in a short burst, whereas with S4 things felt like they were bettered by the time that passed, both production-wise and story-wise, allowing for more growth for the characters and plot movement (something that most comedies don't bother with whatsoever).

It feels like so long ago that the Patricia Clarkson drinking contest episode happened and Tom and Jean-Ralphio had Entertainment 720 up and running, but that was only last September. This show's come so far and covered so much ground in just one television year and remained so reliably entertaining in the process, I can't help but love it to death.

Acapelli
05-10-2012, 09:19 PM
welp, it's looking like next season will be its last

:sad:

Mara
05-10-2012, 09:50 PM

Link?

Acapelli
05-11-2012, 01:38 PM
mostly speculation for now, nothing official

but the reduced episode orders for this and community don't inspire much hope

NickGlass
05-11-2012, 02:26 PM
mostly speculation for now, nothing official

but the reduced episode orders for this and community don't inspire much hope

This hasn't even received a reduced order of episodes yet--just Community and 30 Rock (http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/community-renewed). Very worrisome, indeed.

I really do not want to imagine a scenario where 30 Rock survives another season, and the still-evolving Parks and Recreation gets the ax.

NickGlass
05-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Looking at the ratings for this show is quite depressing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Parks_and_Recreation_e pisodes).

Unfun fact: "The Debate" is the lowest rated episode in the series' history.

Acapelli
05-11-2012, 03:16 PM
yeah, i don't know why i assumed the show had been renewed already when i had just read an interview with michael schur that stated the contrary before making that post

D_Davis
05-11-2012, 03:31 PM

Good! Go out on a high note.

Mara
05-11-2012, 06:36 PM
This was a strong season wrap-up. I don't know if it's the most consistent season, but it was enjoyable the whole way through, and I'm really happy with its current dynamic.

Henry Gale
05-11-2012, 07:31 PM
This show has been given a 13-episode renewal before in Season 3, and it's still here this this with another 22 episodes. With 30 Rock they've said it's going to be the final season, but with Community and Parks, depending on when they premiere (and how many of NBC's new shows fail), the network can still technically order the back-nine or slightly extend all three comedies' orders if they see fit.

I'm assuming they'll premiere Community in the fall and Parks in January (that way they can jump back in plot-wise on the tail end of Ben's six-month away time and already have everyone settled into their new jobs), so it's much less likely for this show schedule-wise, but it doesn't exactly signify the end.

ledfloyd
05-11-2012, 07:58 PM
22 episodes for parks. woot.

Henry Gale
05-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Alright, that's more like it.

DavidSeven
05-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Gonna echo a lot of what's been said here already.

Tremendous finale. They could have capped the entire series with that one. Comparison to Friday Night Lights is something I wouldn't have thought of, but it's pretty spot-on.

Uneven season. I enjoyed it all, but a lot of the the magic was missing up until the very end. I do think things are set up nicely for next season though.

dreamdead
05-15-2012, 02:23 PM
I started watching this series from the beginning about a week ago. Since then, I've now gotten to the halfway point of the second season. All the criticism of that first season is justified, though it starts to reconfigure some of the overblown nature in the last two episodes. The second season is quietly marvelous so far, though, and its energy and character dynamics are quite good; I love the face-time that Jerry is starting to get, even if it's only to derive him.

It seems that Andy is kinda meandering in the show's intentionality for him right now, but I suspect that that'll be righted soon enough.

number8
05-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Is it just me or does the fact that Hulu puts up extended director's cut episodes an incentive to NOT tune in Thursday nights?

Dead & Messed Up
05-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Is it just me or does the fact that Hulu puts up extended director's cut episodes an incentive to NOT tune in Thursday nights?

I tune in so they get their ratings, but I'm often doing something else. The PCs are usually better anyway.

Gizmo
09-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Simple yes or no, just trying to avoid potential spoilers if there were any:

Just got into this show finally and I've got 10 or so episodes to go to catch up, and won't make it before tonights premiere. Is there anything major that happened at the end of last season that I should hold off before tuning into tonights episode, or was everything pretty much story advancement with no major plot points/twists (marriages, deaths, divorces, Leslie being elected, whatever).

So in short: will watching tonight spoil the 10ish episodes I have left from last season?

Winston*
09-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Yes.

D_Davis
09-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Recently re-watched the last season, and I think it is probably the single strongest season of any comedy show on US television. There's tons of laughs, drama, heart, and soul. Just a brilliant show.

ledfloyd
09-21-2012, 03:17 PM
i've been rewatching season 4 as well. i'm enjoying it more than i did when it aired, but i still think season 3 takes the cake.

transmogrifier
09-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Recently re-watched the last season, and I think it is probably the single strongest season of any comedy show on US television. There's tons of laughs, drama, heart, and soul. Just a brilliant show.

Funny, about halfway through season 4 I started getting sick of the show. As I've mentioned before, no show that inflicts that abysmal Tom/Anne quasi-coupling on us can be said to have a wholly successful season.

It didn't help that I couldn't care less about Ben or the election.

D_Davis
09-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah, if you don't really care about the election - the entire dramatic drive of the show, and the entire dramatic drive of the show's main character - then I can see how you wouldn't like the season.

Mr. McGibblets
09-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Funny, about halfway through season 4 I started getting sick of the show. As I've mentioned before, no show that inflicts that abysmal Tom/Anne quasi-coupling on us can be said to have a wholly successful season.

It didn't help that I couldn't care less about Ben or the election.

I agree. I thought Season 4 was really weak. Too many characters (mostly Chris and Anne) have absolutely nothing to do. The low point was when they had an entire subplot about shooting a ten second blurb he was supposed to deliver. And because Leslie and Ben were always busy doing stuff together, they used a lot of the same character interactions again and again instead of mixing them up.

transmogrifier
09-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Yeah, if you don't really care about the election - the entire dramatic drive of the show, and the entire dramatic drive of the show's main character - then I can see how you wouldn't like the season.

Yep. I thought as mentioned by Mr. Chickenparts above (:)) it was very repetitive, and many of the characters were afterthoughts a lot of the time.

I can't really imagine thinking that was the "best season of any comedy show on US television".

Just to rub it in: Community is 10 times funnier than P&R, a lot more inventive and daring, and just better TV.

Acapelli
09-21-2012, 10:06 PM
community is garbage

parks and rec is actually funny

Dead & Messed Up
09-21-2012, 10:10 PM
I love both Community and Parks, but they're doing very different things.

transmogrifier
09-21-2012, 10:10 PM
community is garbage

parks and rec is actually funny

You know what I like?

Capitals.

:)

Anyway, you're wrong, but lets not dwell on our differences.

Acapelli
09-21-2012, 10:12 PM
you know what

eat my farts

Acapelli
09-21-2012, 10:12 PM
hOw AbOuT pOsTiNg LiKe ThIs

transmogrifier
09-21-2012, 10:13 PM
I love both Community and Parks, but they're doing very different things.

Both are trying to be funny, and have interesting storylines and characters though.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to be a take down of one show over the other - I just brought it up because of D_'s well-known antipathy for Community.

I retract my line of discussion!

transmogrifier
09-21-2012, 10:14 PM
you know what

eat my farts

You know what? (A fragment, but acceptable in the informal context of messageboard communication)
Eat my farts.

Acapelli
09-21-2012, 10:15 PM
to be honest, i think there is a certain group of people that community appeals to, and another that parks and rec appeals to and sometimes, such as in the case of damu, they overlap

i don't really see people loving both community and p&r all that often

transmogrifier
09-21-2012, 10:15 PM
hOw AbOuT pOsTiNg LiKe ThIs

tUnE-yArDs beat you to that.

transmogrifier
09-21-2012, 10:16 PM
to be honest, i think there is a certain group of people that community appeals to, and another that parks and rec appeals to and sometimes, such as in the case of damu, they overlap

i don't really see people loving both community and p&r all that often

Pretty sure number8 is another overlapper.

Acapelli
09-21-2012, 10:16 PM
pretty sure 13-year-olds on aim (aol instant messenger) beat her to that more than a decade ago

Acapelli
09-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Pretty sure number8 is another overlapper.
i know he loves community, but i don't think i've ever seen him express all that much enthusiasm for p&r

D_Davis
09-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Just to rub it in: Community is 10 times funnier than P&R, a lot more inventive and daring, and just better TV.

Ugh. That show actually makes me feel more stupid every time I watch.

"HEY LOOK! We're geeks, too! Just like you!"

BARF

transmogrifier
09-21-2012, 10:46 PM

BARF

I'm not a geek - I haven't read a comic book in my life, as a random example - but I love it.

EyesWideOpen
09-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Everyone I know who loves P&R loves Community also.

Thirdmango
09-21-2012, 11:19 PM
I like both, I like Community more. P&R last season was either my third or fourth favorite comedy. Community was number 1 Happy Endings was number 2.

DavidSeven
09-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Recently re-watched the last season, and I think it is probably the single strongest season of any comedy show on US television.

I'm a fan of the show, but I still think you might be the only person in the world who actually thinks this.

Acapelli
09-22-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm a fan of the show, but I still think you might be the only person in the world who actually thinks this.
nah i agree with davis

the season finale is one of the best sitcom episodes i've ever seen

Henry Gale
09-22-2012, 03:33 AM
I don't know, Parks & Rec and Community are easily two of my top five comedies on TV right now. (I guess the other three would be Eastbound, Louie and Curb.) The period last fall when they aired back to back was pure bliss for me. Pretty much all of my friends and family watch and love them both equally too, so I never thought of them as mutually exclusive audiences.

The premiere was definitely good, but oddly felt more like a good mid-season episode instead of a strong starter like the last two years. Ron's BBQ-mobile driving away made me laugh more than it reasonably should have.

Dead & Messed Up
09-22-2012, 03:59 AM
There was a brief period, when NBC had a two-hour block of Community S1, Parks S2, and The Office and 30 Rock before they wore out their welcome completely, and it was just about the best block of comedy TV ever.

Gizmo
09-22-2012, 05:07 AM
I'm a fan of Community and Parks, both I just got into this past year thanks to Netflix and word of mouth/forum. I thought Parks had a better first season and got me hooked quicker, but the later seasons of both I got more enjoyment out of Community and look forward to that premiere more than the P&R one even though P&R was the one I watched more recently.

Winston*
09-22-2012, 05:32 AM
I prefer Parks and Recreation to Community. It's funnier and I care more about the characters.

Not sure that either show's the best comedy currently airing.

ledfloyd
09-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Louie
Peep Show
Parks and Recreation
Veep
Girls
Community
Archer

the comedies i think belong in the discussion, ranked accordingly

Mr. McGibblets
09-22-2012, 04:19 PM

BARF

I don't really get the sense that its geeks that they're trying to appeal to. It's more internet meme people or tumblr users. The pillow fort/blanket fort battle especially is the kind of thing only people on the internet think is cool.

D_Davis
09-22-2012, 05:05 PM
nah i agree with davis

Yep. The entire season has tons of heart, and the final episode is fantastic. Pitch perfect.

D_Davis
09-22-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't really get the sense that its geeks that they're trying to appeal to. It's more internet meme people or tumblr users. The pillow fort/blanket fort battle especially is the kind of thing only people on the internet think is cool.

That's what I mean. Geek/comic book culture.

I love nerdy things - like synths and board games and RPGs and whatnot - but I can't stand geek culture, and to me Community is all about geek culture.

Thirdmango
09-22-2012, 08:51 PM
That's what I mean. Geek/comic book culture.

Like that episode where they jump on a trampoline. Man Geek's love trampolines.

DavidSeven
09-23-2012, 06:07 AM
nah i agree with davis

I agree that the finale was tremendous, but you would also say that P&R S4 was the best season of comedy ever aired on U.S. television? Are we talking of current shows or is this an all-time discussion? Either way, I don't even think its the best of P&R's own seasons. The Entertainment 720 stuff at the beginning was pointless, and as trans mentioned, the Tom/Anne stuff was brutally lame.

Acapelli
09-23-2012, 06:44 AM
anything with jean ralphio is absolute gold

truthfully, i don't actually think it's one of the best seasons ever, but week in and week out i felt like it was the best comedy on television

number8
09-24-2012, 01:01 AM
What manufactured rivalries you guys make up just to hate on Community for no reason.

John McCain cameo was funny.

Mara
09-24-2012, 02:30 PM
John McCain cameo was funny.

His line delivery was strong. He even looked concerned.

Now let's bury Tom and Anne forever and pretend it never happened.

Dead & Messed Up
09-25-2012, 07:17 AM
His line delivery was strong. He even looked concerned.

Now let's bury Tom and Anne forever and pretend it never happened.

Seriously. I've said in other circumstances that I get why they did it, it's plausible for the characters, but it was no fun. No fun at all.

Gizmo
09-28-2012, 02:40 AM
I'm not sure I'm digging this new season so far. I think it's because of the separation of the characters, especially Ron and April and Andy who play off each other well.

Dead & Messed Up
09-28-2012, 07:10 AM
I didn't watch tonight's episode, but Andy from last week seemed egregiously dumb.

number8
09-28-2012, 01:02 PM
I didn't watch tonight's episode, but Andy from last week seemed egregiously dumb.

Flanderization.

NickGlass
09-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Yeah, I thought it was a totally brutal episode. It was just, like, Andy a dumb joke, Leslie says something earnest, Ben is a dork, Chris is cheery and healthy, Ron is grumpy and only likes meat. And then Tom and Ann, as everyone has pointed out, just...oof. I understand that's what the ensemble is composed of, but there was no organic dynamic. The whole episode felt stiff.

I think the writers on this show are really successful when there's a topical, microcosmic subject. This season premiere was just in freefall mode.

ledfloyd
09-28-2012, 04:12 PM
i liked that they made an attempt to address chris's mood swings last night. and i thought the entire episode was hilarious. more child-sized sodas and melon ballers pease.

Qrazy
10-05-2012, 03:27 AM
This show has jumped the shark.

Henry Gale
10-05-2012, 05:44 AM
This show has jumped the shark.

Well, I was just going to jump in to say that this was more of it back on the right track and easily my favourite of the three episodes so far, but to each his own.

Feels odd to declare shark-jumping on such a minor (and objectively hilarious) episode like this. I hope this isn't the last time we see Jon Glaser.

Winston*
10-06-2012, 01:17 AM
I thought the Leslie/Jon Glaser plotline was good, but the rest of the episode felt like they were really struggling to find stuff for the other characters to do. Why is the Parks and Recreation department being used to run a central government phoneline?

Qrazy
10-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Well, I was just going to jump in to say that this was more of it back on the right track and easily my favourite of the three episodes so far, but to each his own.

Feels odd to declare shark-jumping on such a minor (and objectively hilarious) episode like this. I hope this isn't the last time we see Jon Glaser.

I'm saying it about the whole season, all of the eps this season have been bad.

EyesWideOpen
10-06-2012, 05:08 AM
I thought the first episode was just ok but the last two were gold. Every scene with Ben and April was hilarious.

ledfloyd
10-06-2012, 05:58 AM
yeah, if anything i'm enjoying this season more than season 4. soda tax was fantastic.

Dead & Messed Up
10-06-2012, 07:10 AM
This last episode was good, but I did not like "Soda Tax"...which is to say that I thought it was decent. Come on, Parks, knock my socks off!

Lucky
10-06-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't notice much of a change minus it has lost a bit of saccharin touch. Also, were they starting to lean toward a Ben/April hookup at the end there?

Qrazy
10-06-2012, 06:41 PM
I just don't find any of the jokes funny, I've laughed maybe twice this season and it's mostly in relation to Ron.

dreamdead
10-19-2012, 12:24 PM
For as strong as last season's beginning-middle episodes were, this season's surprisingly weak. I like that the writers are willing to try to develop new relations (specifically with Adam Scott), but the jokes seem far more mechanical and less tied to character. Tom's issues with technology seem like a first season kind of joke, not a season four joke. For as much as it describes how empty he is in his life now, the show would have been wiser to have someone simply discern that fact without the obvious and mechanical jokes.

Mara
10-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Tom's subplot was the weakest this episode, but I genuinely laughed several times at the robot congressman. The sex-ed subplot wasn't breaking any new ground, but had some laughs. (WHAT were they going to do with the pineapple?)

Dead & Messed Up
10-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Of course Donna is the one integrating the pineapple into the demonstration.

Also, hooray for continuity, with Marcia Langman fighting another Christian cause. She was introduced at the beginning of Season Two as a voice against gay marriage. Makes sense that she's married to the man she's married to.

Henry Gale
10-26-2012, 01:22 AM
Well, that was a whole lot of stuff packed into one episode, but they absolutely brought it all together at the end. I finally feel able to ease into this season.

Lucky
10-26-2012, 02:01 AM
Jerry's heart attack. :lol:

EDIT: And the end was good, too.

Qrazy
10-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Lucy Lawless is finally beginning to show her age, still not bad though but a far cry from Battlestar Galactica even.

ledfloyd
10-26-2012, 04:46 AM
i thought this episode was pretty bad.

EvilShoe
10-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Still not feeling it...

I'm hoping things will work better now that the cast has been reunited.

Acapelli
10-26-2012, 03:51 PM
don't know what more you guys could possibly want

Dead & Messed Up
10-26-2012, 04:05 PM
don't know what more you guys could possibly want

I could've done without the farts, personally, and the politician's penis-eating-gator line, and without Andy's increasingly annoying Flanderization - his observation skills are approximately that of a two-year-old.

But I liked Donna's live-tweeting, Chris and Ann's little talk, Ron's whole arc, Tom finding an opportunity that seems, for once, like a not-terrible one (God knows Jean-Ralphio's gonna want in on this), and the last five minutes are a nice surprise.

Thing is

this will inevitably lead to Leslie being anal about wedding stuff, and I generally loathe wedding stuff in sitcoms.

Acapelli
10-26-2012, 04:10 PM
man, i cracked up during the "fart attack"

also kinda hate the whole "flanderization" critique being thrown at andy (tv tropes is fucking dreadful in general). the worst part of the "flanderization" process was that regardless of how morally pious, or whatever, he got, he just became an extremely unlikable character. i don't see that with andy

Dead & Messed Up
10-26-2012, 04:17 PM
man, i cracked up during the "fart attack"

also kinda hate the whole "flanderization" critique being thrown at andy (tv tropes is fucking dreadful in general). the worst part of the "flanderization" process was that regardless of how morally pious, or whatever, he got, he just became an extremely unlikable character. i don't see that with andy

I'm getting that. Sorry. He's become so completely non-functional as a person with an adult mind that he is relegated to constant pratfalls/knocking things over and a complete lack of cognitive function. Obversational skill: "Hand." Har-dee-har-har.

I'll grant that his devolution hasn't come with the hints of cruelty you get with someone like Homer Simpson, or the priggish self-righteousness that Flanders gained. They've at least managed to keep him (and the rest of the cast) oblivious to his stupidity.

ledfloyd
10-26-2012, 05:21 PM
the ron plot definitely was the highlight. as for the "last five-minutes" i thought it felt pretty forced, it didn't seem to originate in an organic place, and i agree with what damu said in his spoiler.

the fart attack was pretty awful, and the idea they're pushing in the last few episodes that ann adopts her boyfriend's personalities would be intriguing, as it's something i've observed in real life, if it didn't fly in the face of four years of characterization.

number8
10-27-2012, 05:29 PM
I've always had an issue with the term Flanderization because it doesn't accurately describe the phenomenon, especially when there's a better example on the same show. Flanders went from the overly nice and pious neighbor to being spitefully sanctimonious. There's a change in trait there, based on the same concept (Christianity). Homer Simpson is the better example of what Flanderization talks about. The trait is the same (stupidity), just grossly increasing from buffoonery to full-blown mental handicap. That's what's happened with Andy.

Mara
11-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Upcoming cameo by Joe Biden.

As in, the VP of the United States.

I... just...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/07/parks-and-recreation-joe-biden/

Dead & Messed Up
11-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Last night featured a staredown between Ron Swanson and Mike Ehrmentraut.

dreamdead
11-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Love the "realism" that the writers are offering to Ben and Leslie, but they don't seem to know what to do with Ann and Chris. It seems all but inevitable that they reunite, and I don't know how they can do that without treading backwards, narratively.

Dead & Messed Up
11-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Love the "realism" that the writers are offering to Ben and Leslie, but they don't seem to know what to do with Ann and Chris. It seems all but inevitable that they reunite, and I don't know how they can do that without treading backwards, narratively.

I doubt they'll reunite. Ann seems too self-assured and self-aware to dive back into that pool.

Qrazy
11-16-2012, 04:10 AM
You know if you're going to bring the VP on a show it might be good to actually have some material for them.

Dead & Messed Up
11-16-2012, 04:35 AM
You know if you're going to bring the VP on a show it might be good to actually have some material for them.

I dunno. It makes sense that he'd play straight to her hysterical teen crushing.

Qrazy
11-16-2012, 04:53 AM
I dunno. It makes sense that he'd play straight to her hysterical teen crushing.

Lame scene was lame. Give me more Obama rapping the news.

Dead & Messed Up
11-16-2012, 05:04 AM
Lame scene was lame. Give me more Obama rapping the news.

I agree that it wasn't too funny. The episode in general was warm-hearted enough that I liked it. I have to wonder if the stolen-computer thing will continue.

Winston*
11-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Biden part didn't work, but otherwise thought this was the best episode so far this season.

"That's my favourite part of the movie!" killed me.

Henry Gale
11-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Oh c'mon, the Biden scene was perfect. After years of her bringing him up as her ideal man, finally seeing her inebriated with excitement, with him proceeding just as he would when meeting anyone else from a city council, only to be interrupted by her touching his face and leaning in for a kiss. Just as awkward as any milestone moment we've witnessed Leslie experience so far, except this one was arguably the biggest, in ways that only make sense to her. Not even sure they needed the call-back with her speaking to the photo of them to drive home how much it meant to her.

But the show finally made it happen, which is something I wasn't sure was ever a possibility, so considering they got him to actually be in an entire scene that asked him to play along with their silliness, it ended up being as funny as I could've hoped.

Oh, the rest of the episode was solid too.

transmogrifier
11-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Oh c'mon, the Biden scene was perfect. After years of her bringing him up as her ideal man, finally seeing her inebriated with excitement, with him proceeding just as he would when meeting anyone else from a city council, only to be interrupted by her touching his face and leaning in for a kiss. Just as awkward as any milestone moment we've witnessed Leslie experience so far, except this one was arguably the biggest, in ways that only make sense to her. Not even sure they needed the call-back with her speaking to the photo of them to drive home how much it meant to her.

But the show finally made it happen, which is something I wasn't sure was ever a possibility, so considering they got him to actually be in an entire scene that asked him to play along with their silliness, it ended up being as funny as I could've hoped.

Oh, the rest of the episode was solid too.

Sorry, that whole thing sounds terrible.

Kurosawa Fan
11-17-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm with Henry on the Biden moment. Worked perfectly for me.

As for the rest of the episode, and this season thus far, it does seem to be slipping, or wearing out its welcome. I'm laughing far less, which is a shame.

number8
11-17-2012, 01:37 PM
What else would you have Biden do? He's been established on the show as Leslie's ultimate crush. That was the only logical scene to do. Besides, you can't expect the VP to do a whole plot.

I will agree that McCain's cameo was better.

Thirdmango
11-17-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm really surprised by this Biden backlash. He was supposed to be on the show as a completely clueless to Leslie's admiration for like 20 seconds and that's exactly what happened. It was exactly what it needed to be.

dreamdead
12-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Well, that was a glorious surprise. The focus on Ron, and the return of Tammy 2, meant that it played it to its greatest strengths with Ron/Leslie, marginalizing the other characters properly. Best episode of the season.

I wood.

Oh, bad wood puns.

Mara
12-07-2012, 02:51 PM
This episode relied heavily on physical comedy, but in a way that totally worked. I thought it was excellent.

Qrazy
12-07-2012, 02:52 PM
It's getting to the point where I can't stand this show any more.

Dead & Messed Up
12-07-2012, 06:00 PM
I didn't like the Tammy 2 stuff. Didn't really hit for me. But I did like how it hit on the Leslie/Ron dynamic and helped keep Leslie away so Ron and Diane could bond further. On that note,

the return of the Duke!

Winston*
12-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Finding it a abit disappointing that they had this massive narrative shake up with Leslie's election at the end of last season and instead of running with it they seem to be progressing back to second/ third season status quo.

Lucky
02-08-2013, 01:42 AM
"So Anne, what are you looking for?"
"Some sperm?"

Mara
02-08-2013, 01:45 AM
This episode was a big miss for me. The scene with the men all suffering from food poisoning was a brilliant piece of physical comedy. Otherwise... pretty dumb.

Henry Gale
02-08-2013, 02:02 AM
I was fine with it. A minor episode to be sure, but this show seems to specialize in being perfectly enjoyable with even the smallest stakes. Happiest to see them actually having somewhere to go with Ann.

Also, Harris' (slightly) exaggerated version of himself slowly becoming a recurring character is a beautiful thing.

ledfloyd
02-08-2013, 02:42 PM
I thought it was really good. I was hooked from the moment Ron said "you've accidentally given me the food that my food eats." I liked the way they went about subverting the Douche's character but a little Crazy Ira and the Douche goes a long way. I do love Harris. I get excited whenever he turns up on the show and would like to see more of him. And yeah, giving Ann something to do is a big deal.

Lucky
02-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I liked a majority of the bits in this episode. Leslie visiting the radio show also gave me a few laughs.

"How did you make that so fast?"

The Andy/April subplot was the throwaway this week.

Acapelli
02-11-2013, 03:57 AM
i love it whenever harris wittels shows up

Lazlo
02-11-2013, 04:40 AM
i love it whenever harris wittels shows up

"What's your deal?"

dreamdead
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM
I was impressed that Andy actually got featured, very briefly, as an idiot savant and not just an idiot.

The Ben/Leslie plot was good--still wish they knew a little more what to do with Ann.

Winston*
02-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Loved Ron on the talk show.

"Any dog under 50 pounds is a cat and cats are pointless"

Neclord
02-16-2013, 03:30 AM
It's "Pawnee Today"'s gradual transition to "You're On with Ron" that killed me.

Winston*
04-08-2013, 01:18 AM
I don't think I like this show anymore. The Ben plot in the latest episode had a lot of potential but went nowhere and wasted J.K. Simmons.

The Anne - Chris pregnancy arc is just the worst. How did it morph from her looking for a sperm donor to looking for a casual friend to impregnate her and raise a child together? That's not something normal people do.

Councilman Jamm is still great.

Winston*
04-08-2013, 01:24 AM
Loved Ron on the talk show.

"Any dog under 50 pounds is a cat and cats are pointless"

Ron is becoming stale. This line was pretty much recycled as 'skim milk is just water that's lying'

Henry Gale
04-08-2013, 02:36 AM
The show definitely hasn't been able to figure out where it's wanted to go post-Leslie & Ben wedding, but that episode was also written as a fail-safe series finale (since their initial order for this year was 13 episodes) and it was easily one of my favourite episodes, so I'll cut them some slack for now and just hope they begin to indicate some actual direction by the finale. Kind of how Season 2's ending introduced Adam Scott and Rob Lowe and Season 3's cliffhanger kicked off Season 4's election storyline. But I'm also worried they're now in constant state of cancellation paranoia and would rather write in wind-down / resolution mode than plant seeds for big future prospects.

Either way, I'm with it 'til the end. A weak episode of Parks is still better than a bad episode of most other shows, blah blah, etc.

Dead & Messed Up
04-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Yeah, also Annabeth Gish just kind of wandered off. The writers on the show have a tendency to overwrite everything, though, so maybe some sort of closing scene was left on the proverbial cutting room floor.

Gizmo
04-13-2013, 10:06 PM
this was an excellent part of a pretty good episode:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3530/iolcylq.jpg

number8
04-14-2013, 12:00 AM
I thought the tag with him trying to eat a banan was funnier.

Winston*
04-14-2013, 10:57 PM
I don't think I like this show anymore.

Take it back. This latest one was really funny. Big laughs in all three plot lines.

slqrick
04-14-2013, 11:35 PM
Yeah, last episode was hilarious.

I do feel like the show has kind of have been in a stasis since all the wedding stuff, though.

Lazlo
04-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Really good episode. Everything y'all have mentioned was great, but I really enjoyed Harris and his friend. "Yo, the cops are where?"

ledfloyd
04-15-2013, 08:32 PM
I thought the stoner humor was too broad and stupid.

Winston*
04-15-2013, 08:57 PM
I thought the stoner humor was too broad and stupid.

Broad and stupid is my jam(m). 'Bark Obama'

Lazlo
04-15-2013, 10:06 PM

Yeah, their enthusiasm was great.

ledfloyd
04-16-2013, 12:44 AM
The Flintstones' bird was fantastic too. I was thinking more of the stuff like in the interview. The humor that was based around the fact that they smoke weed. It was really caricatured.

Mr. McGibblets
04-19-2013, 01:59 AM
Didn't Ann want to have a child by herself?

dreamdead
04-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Loved the song with Jerry's family. The show is so warm-hearted about its characters. Easily the best thing on NBC.

number8
04-22-2013, 04:28 AM
"After you fell asleep, I went back and watched season 1 of Fringe to check for plot holes. As I suspected: airtight."

Fantastic.

EyesWideOpen
04-22-2013, 11:52 PM
"After you fell asleep, I went back and watched season 1 of Fringe to check for plot holes. As I suspected: airtight."

Fantastic.

LOL. I was gonna come here and post that.

megladon8
01-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Jen gave me season one for Christmas and we watched the entire thing last night.

Officially hooked. Really great TV. I love every single character.

Gizmo
01-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Welcome aboard

Acapelli
01-12-2014, 10:12 PM
it only gets better from there

ledfloyd
01-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Yeah, that is definitely the low point.

I've been loving season 6. I was mildly disappointed by 5, but it seems to have bounced back.

D_Davis
01-12-2014, 10:46 PM
Jen gave me season one for Christmas and we watched the entire thing last night.

So good. I think S4 is among the strongest seasons of television I've seen.

Dead & Messed Up
01-13-2014, 02:28 AM

Yes!

Gooble gobble etc.

megladon8
01-15-2014, 03:30 AM
A few golden moments for me in season one...

-Swanson explaining the shotgun on his desk

-Andy telling Ann why he delayed getting his casts off ("I just...really love when you bring me food!")

-Leslie filibustering her own committee meeting

Gizmo
01-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Has the show jumped the shark? If so, when? I'm just not loving these episodes like I use to, and I can't pinpoint a moment or series of events that stands out. Maybe It's hit a lull and is ready to rebound, but I'm almost getting an Office vibe when I watch. That is to say, I still watch and get excited for new episodes, but when they end I wonder why I watched. I had 3 or 4 seasons doing that with the Office before it mercifully ended.

Mara
01-20-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm enjoying it in a laid-back kind of way. I still really enjoy the characters, but it's comfort food at this point.

Dead & Messed Up
01-20-2014, 03:31 PM
End of Season Four. But there wasn't a shark-jump. It's just been a bit less impressive.

EvilShoe
01-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Time to bring in James Spader.

Dead & Messed Up
01-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Time to bring in James Spader.

What this show needs is a cavalcade of guest stars and stunts. All kinds of stunts. Stunt weddings. Stunt babies. Motocross stunts. Babies doing motocross during weddings. Right after "The Voice."

Henry Gale
01-20-2014, 04:31 PM
End of Season Four. But there wasn't a shark-jump. It's just been a bit less impressive.

Yeah, it makes sense though, since that finale and "Leslie and Ben" (which fell in the middle of Season 5 since they originally didn't have a full 22-episode order) were both written as fail-safe endings to the whole series if they ended up getting cancelled.

But I love the universe of the show, its characters and tone of its humour so much that even at its weakest an episode can manage to find at least one way for me to appreciate one of those aspects a little more, and still have me laugh more than a handful of times.

As long as it is on TV, I will watch.

dreamdead
01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Yeah, characters seem to have shrunk in complexity and ingenuity the past few seasons. This past week, with Leslie trying to sabotage Tom's project, is just unseemly in its disregard for how Leslie would act--that is, honored that Tom has stepped forward and is actively trying to better the community.

I've been thinking for a while, since season 5, that the show doesn't quite know what to do with Leslie and Ben. Specifically, the writers have made Leslie a little too craven and desperate, not recognizing any sense of adult complacency in their relationship. She's spent the past few seasons acting out against Ben's decisions, manufacturing protest, even in areas where the show doesn't seem to need it.

I love how full the show's cast of characters are, but the early news that it's been renewed for another season seems to go against what the show had been headed toward.

Dead & Messed Up
01-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Also, the core writing team has changed since the rejuvenation that started early season two and steamrolled through seasons three and four. Now creator Mike Schur is splitting time on Brooklyn 99, as are Dan Goor and Norm Hiscock. Katie Dippold's off writing features, and consultants like Mike Scully and Dana Gould - famous for The Simpsons - left after being pretty instrumental in course-correcting during the second season.

ledfloyd
01-20-2014, 07:31 PM
I felt it in season 5, but season 6 has been a rebound to me. I thought the 100th episode was phenomenal.

Acapelli
01-20-2014, 08:37 PM
you've left chazz palmenteri off your list of departed writers. i also didn't know dana gould had any involvement. love him

ben's prank (or lack thereof) from the most recent ep might be one of my favorite ever moments on the show

Dead & Messed Up
01-20-2014, 08:42 PM
you've left chazz palmenteri off your list of departed writers. i also didn't know dana gould had any involvement. love him

You mean Chelsea Peretti? She was on during the fourth season. A very funny writer/actress, but not exactly part of the show's creative backbone. Gould worked as a producer during the very first season and a consultant during the second season.

number8
01-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Did your phone autocorrect Chelsea Peretti to Chazz Palminteri? :lol:

Henry Gale
01-20-2014, 09:24 PM
I think it's a Comedy Bang Bang running gag with her, but I much prefer to think that Acapelli texts and posts so much about Chazz Palminteri that his intuitive autocorrect couldn't have imagined an alternative.

Dead & Messed Up
01-20-2014, 11:39 PM
It's my hope that he legitimately confuses Chelsea Peretti with Chazz Palminteri, and it goes both ways.

Acapelli
01-20-2014, 11:44 PM
henry gale's got it lol

Acapelli
01-20-2014, 11:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWLKxImrpWs

Mara
01-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Hey... I like chard.

Winston*
01-24-2014, 06:07 PM
The show should make Billy Eichner a regular.

Dead & Messed Up
01-25-2014, 04:22 AM
"What's happening? Is the nurse upset? I don't care."

Hardest I've laughed this season.

number8
01-25-2014, 04:37 PM
This is an excellent rectangle.

Lucky
01-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Nipple pimple.

Qrazy
01-31-2014, 09:07 AM
I find the show's need to constantly shit on certain peripheral characters humorlessly mean spirited.

Qrazy
04-11-2014, 04:48 AM
"My parents make me so mad sometimes, just like the time they couldn't decide who gets the dog so they just dropped it off at the local synogogue. I was like wwwwwaaa say what!?"

Henry Gale
04-25-2014, 01:26 AM
This season really came together awesomely towards the end, particularly with "Prom", 'One in 8,000", and "Flu Season 2"'s perfect misdirect.

And the two-part finale was a perfect back-door one for the whole series if it came to that. Some completely unexpected but welcome shifts towards the end. But I like the chances it took, and just as an hour of the show in and of itself it hit some beautiful highs.

Not to mention for a series with no shortage of great moments, Ginuwine dedicating his performance of "Pony" to Li'l Sebeastian might be one of the greatest. The big performance with Hologram Sebastian right after that was no less fantastic.

Really interested as to where things go from here, which is definitely a thought I didn't have at earlier points in the year.

number8
04-26-2014, 05:54 AM
Did not expect that tag at all. I just read Schur said that the next season will actually take place in 2017. Bold move.

Henry Gale
04-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Also love that they've already admitted they may have to go "lightly sci-fi" with things in some areas, which makes sense for a show so culturally and technologically in-tune with the real world. I think it's just as likely (and potentially just as funny) if they make a point about how little things change in that regard in three years.

But Tom's definitely gonna be all over some future Future album we don't even know about yet.