PDA

View Full Version : You Know You're Addicted to Reading When...

Benny Profane
12-27-2007, 02:47 PM
You keep a book underneath your car seat in case you encounter heavy traffic

You see someone reading a book and you hurt your neck trying to catch a glimpse of the title.

You feel like a stalker when doing the above.

After seeing a movie based on a book you leave telling anyone that will listen everything what was wrong or left out.

After finishing a book you wish they did a movie of it only to realize that it wont be as good as it is in your head.

You get really pissed-off when the book store closes because of a national observance/holiday, or it will take an Amazon/B&N shipment an extra day to arrive because those stupid mail carriers need a day off.

What are some of yours?

Raiders
12-27-2007, 03:42 PM
you're company intranet password is mccarthyroxxors

Kurosawa Fan
12-27-2007, 04:08 PM
You often sit admiring your bookshelf.

While admiring your bookshelf, you plan what book you're going to read next, even though you are only 15 pages into the book you just started.

You have dreams about going to Barnes and Noble.

You bribe your kids into going to B&N by promising them 15 minutes playing with the train set in the kids area (already did this one today; we leave after lunch).

You have no one to talk to in your life about the books you read so constantly visit Match Cut's reading forum to either discuss books you've read or get new ideas for what authors/books to read.

Melville
12-27-2007, 04:08 PM
I wish I were addicted to reading. I don't read nearly enough. Although I do tell everyone what was wrong with movie adaptations of books.

Melville
12-27-2007, 04:10 PM
While admiring your bookshelf, you plan what book you're going to read next, even though you are only 15 pages into the book you just started.
Actually, I do this one all the time as well. Maybe I'm more hooked than I thought.

Ezee E
12-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm not a huge bookreader, but I also snoop on people and see what they are reading.

Thirdy
12-27-2007, 04:43 PM
You tend to read when having a bath.

You've read over 45 books per year in the last 4 years.

You can't go to sleep without having read at least 10 pages of the book you're reading.

You eagerly await the 1st of January to share a list on Match Cut of the books you read in the past year and view others'.

You, like KF, often sit and admire your bookshelf in silence; it feels good.

Ezee E
12-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Sadly, I had to make my bookshelf my DVD shelf, and I have boxes and boxes of books stored away with my notebooks. It's so very sad.

Benny Profane
12-27-2007, 05:50 PM
You often sit admiring your bookshelf.

GUILTY!

Benny Profane
12-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Also, when the first thing you do upon visiting someone's house for the first time is walk straight to their bookshelf. You know... just to see what they have... and if you approve.

Deciding which New Year's invitation to accept based on the book collection of the host.

megladon8
12-27-2007, 11:14 PM
You spend hours reorganizing your books in different ways, ala High Fidelity.

You buy books by the armload, even though you already have 30 on your shelf that you haven't read - just in case book stores suddenly vanish off the face of the earth, so you'll be covered for the next year or so.

Your Amazon shopping cart is full at all times.

You're a member of every Doubleday book club, and owe over $300 on each.

You have several additions to an online list of "you know you're addicted to reading when..."

Kurosawa Fan
12-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Also, when the first thing you do upon visiting someone's house for the first time is walk straight to their bookshelf. You know... just to see what they have... and if you approve.

Deciding which New Year's invitation to accept based on the book collection of the host.

The first one can be scary. My wife went to a friends house, whose company we both enjoy immensely, and there on the bookshelf was every Anne Coulter book that has seen publication. I literally can't look at them the same anymore.

That second one is hilarious. I kinda do this with both books and movies. Not that I'll discriminate against someone for their taste, but I tend to get along better with people who share my taste in film and books.

ledfloyd
12-28-2007, 12:24 AM
i go in phases with reading. i'll read like 3 books a week for a month or two and then i'll read one book over two months.

lovejuice
12-28-2007, 12:39 AM

this one is interesting. very subtle and true indeed. i too have this same habit.

Sven
12-28-2007, 12:44 AM
All of these are very applicable to me, but switch "books" with "DVDs". I have over a thousand DVDs on a set of shelves that I can see from the bed and sometimes I go to sleep gazing at them, looking at a title and thinking about why I like/dislike it.

Lately, I've been starting to do it with books, though, because I've got a job at the ol' B&N and have picked up quite a few.

Horbgorbler
12-28-2007, 01:06 AM
I've been to Barnes & Noble three of the last four days... *hangs head in shame*

lovejuice
12-28-2007, 01:19 AM
I've been to Barnes & Noble three of the last four days... *hangs head in shame*

shame indeed. what were you doing on that one particular day, mister!

D_Davis
12-28-2007, 01:35 AM
I've been visiting family in California this past week. So far, I've visited 5 used book stores, and have purchased 15 books. The day I left, one of my attorneys gave me a $50 gift card to Elliot Bay Books. I spent it on my lunch. My other attorney gave me a $100 gc to Amazon.com. I just spent that a few hours ago. In all, I've purchased about 50 books this week. And there are still two stores left to visit before heading back to Seattle.

I, too, sit and admire my book shelf. I never do this with DVDs, or with CDs, even though I have thousands of each. I am actually planning on ripping and selling all of my DVDs and CDs, but I will never, ever, never-ever, sell any of my books.

I, too, like to examine people's book shelves. It is one of the first things I do when visiting a new place.

megladon8
12-28-2007, 01:39 AM
i go in phases with reading. i'll read like 3 books a week for a month or two and then i'll read one book over two months.

I'm exactly the same.

I was reading a lot the fall due to lengthy bus trips to and from school.

Now that I'm on holidays, I still haven't finished "A Canticle for Liebowitz", even though it's not very long.

I am kind of looking forward to returning to school simply so I can get back to reading on the bus. :P

Horbgorbler
12-28-2007, 02:31 AM
shame indeed. what were you doing on that one particular day, mister!

It was Christmas! :lol:

Watashi
12-28-2007, 06:17 AM
You work at a bookstore?

monolith94
12-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Your stock of books goes beyond the mere booshelves: you have boxes upon boxes of them, necessitating constant movement around the house to keep guests from seeing them because your mom is obsessed with the house looking "nice". *sigh*

Who says reading isn't a physical activity? Heh.

We've got boxes of books in the attic. Boxes downstairs. Boxes in my room. Pretty sure there are a couple of boxes in the upstairs hall too. Maybe not.