PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions

transmogrifier
12-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Got any?

We are going to bump this thread at the end of 2008 and see how well we slackers stuck to them.

For me:

1. Drop 5kg.
2. Shoot a short film with my fiance.
3. Actually learn Korean.
4. Write more movie reviews.
5. Write an ESL textbook
6. Not type the name Armond White all year.
7. Agree with Wats on something

Kurosawa Fan
12-27-2007, 12:17 PM
I hate New Year's Resolutions because they're so easily tossed aside after a week or so. This is not a "New Year's" resolution, merely a goal that happens to be in the beginning stages of being accomplished around this time of year:

I'm going to get back down to 160 pounds.

We're buying a treadmill in the coming days and I'm going to run on it every day, no excuses. I've already cut out snacking over the last month (aside from Christmas day), so the treadmill is going to help me conquer my weight issue. I'm posting this in here because I want it brought back up in a year so that I can pat myself on the back for a job well done.

Boner M
12-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Finish my screenplay, which has been my resolution for the last four years. Fourth time's a charm, I guess...

transmogrifier
12-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Finish my screenplay, which has been my resolution for the last four years. Fourth time's a charm, I guess...

I told you, I'm bumping this thread in exactly a year's time, and we better have done what we said we were going to do, or else we shall be ruthlessly mocked by a jury of our peers. Get writing.

transmogrifier
12-27-2007, 12:21 PM
I think seven things were too many. I'll get rid of the last two :)

Li Lili
12-27-2007, 02:08 PM
2007 was the beginning of a change.
2008 should be the result.
I don't know where I will be at the end of 2008. But I know I must go back to China at some point in the year (especially I've promised it to someone over there!), and I want to go to Hong Kong for the HK international film festival.

Otherwise my resolution is to do the things I should do when they are supposed to be done.
And to be happy! :)

Rowland
12-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Lose 20 pounds
Get my college career back on track

Ezee E
12-27-2007, 04:31 PM
-Stay in shape.
-Continue my pursuit of the firefighting career, and finish certain goals that have been given to me, such as the Driver/Operator Program, and Field Instructor program. I will probably have to get my Firefighter II and HazMat Operation Certifications as well.
-Put my screenplay in a few festivals, and post it on Zoetrope for a few reviews.
-Learn some Italian for my trip.

Those seem pretty reasonable.

Lasse
12-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Last year's resulutions:

- Better job
- Lose weight
- Start playing soccer again
- Party less
- Find love somehow

I succeded with the first four, failed the last one. :|

This year it shall be something like:

- Move to Copenhagen (or close by...)
- Continue to play soccer
- Lose more weight
- Party less-less.
- Find love or get a dog.

Ezee E
12-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Last year's resulutions:

- Better job
- Lose weight
- Party less
- Find love somehow

This year it shall be something like:

- Move to Copenhagen (or close by...)
- Continue to play soccer
- Lose more weight
- Party less-less.
- Find love or get a dog.
What if love is a dog? Two for one.

Morris Schæffer
12-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Last year's resulutions:

- Better job
- Lose weight
- Party less
- Find love somehow

Perhaps this will come off as mean, but I'm glad I'm not alone. That is to say, I came close this year, but it wasn't meant to be. The wounds are slowly healing, new opportunities must be vigorously pursued in 2008. I need love more than anything else in the world. I wish this was easier for me, but it's not and that blows ass.

Good luck!

Sven
12-28-2007, 12:29 AM
I think seven things were too many. I'll get rid of the last two :)

I was gonna say...

Li Lili
12-28-2007, 12:31 AM
I need love more than anything else in the world.
Love is too complicated.
At the moment, two people are in love with me : one is far away, one is close, both have confused mind, and have a strange temper and an odd behaviour, both are artists, both are "outsiders", but they are different.
I start to wonder if I am not confused myself, but I know I'm not, I just attract them and fall in love with them :/

Winston*
12-28-2007, 01:18 AM
Obtain postgraduate degrees in at least four major disciplines (and at least 3 minor ones e.g. bookbinding).
Fall in love, get married, get bitterly divorced and re-married on the rebound.
Procure an international record deal, only to lose it as soon as the record company discovers my new found love for opium.
Fight a dragon.
Haircut.

transmogrifier
12-28-2007, 01:19 AM
I was gonna say...

Pony up some resolutions!

transmogrifier
12-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Obtain postgraduate degrees in at least four major disciplines (and at least 3 minor ones e.g. bookbinding).
Procure an international record deal, only to lose it as soon as the record company discovers my new found love for opium.
Fight a dragon.
Haircut.

You're gonna look pretty silly a year from now.

Rowland
12-28-2007, 01:27 AM
You're gonna look pretty silly a year from now.I know. With all that shit to do, he'll never have time for that haircut.

Sven
12-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Pony up some resolutions!

Alright, let's see...

1) do well in college (GPA 3.7 or greater)
2) start writing a book
3) make a significant dent in my knowledge of literary classics
4) drop 15 lbs.
5) be good enough at the ukulele to the point where I can comfortably play and sing at the same time
6) be passable at the guitar
7) buy a keyboard

Edited to keep things realistic

Kurosawa Fan
12-28-2007, 01:41 AM
You're gonna look pretty silly a year from now.

You think the haircut will be that bad?

transmogrifier
12-28-2007, 01:42 AM
You think the haircut will be that bad?

Knowing New Zealand hairdressers.......yes.

Kurosawa Fan
12-28-2007, 01:44 AM
Knowing New Zealand hairdressers.......yes.

Upon googling "New Zealand hair cut", this was the first image to appear:

http://www.thesalon.co.nz/Index%20Page/model.jpg

You were correct sir. He will most certainly look silly.

transmogrifier
12-28-2007, 01:45 AM
Upon googling "New Zealand hair cut", this was the first image to appear:

http://www.thesalon.co.nz/Index%20Page/model.jpg

You were correct sir. He will most certainly look silly.

Mom....?

Kurosawa Fan
12-28-2007, 01:46 AM
Mom....?

Chrissie Hynde is your mom?

transmogrifier
12-28-2007, 01:49 AM
Chrissie Hynde is your mom?

I guess so. Way to hold out, Ma!

Mr. Valentine
12-28-2007, 02:14 AM
my main new years resolutions are:

1) manage my money better
2) change of job
3) try to go to the movies at least once a week (i usually get lazy on my days off and just sit at home playing videogames and messing around on the computer and don't feel like leaving the house)

Wryan
12-28-2007, 02:49 AM
I resolve to get that stain outta the carpet......once and for all.

dreamdead
12-28-2007, 02:50 AM
Let's see here...

put in a good Kiyoshi Kurosawa abstract proposal for a film conference in Tokyo
Hit the university recreation center more often and for longer visits
rediscover a joy of reading novels
become more proficient in Southeast Asian cinema (aka explore the second tier of filmmakers)

Ezee E
12-28-2007, 03:12 AM
Alright, let's see...

1) do well in college (GPA 3.7 or greater)
2) start writing a book
3) make it through no less than 6 800+ page literary classics
4) drop 15 lbs.
5) be good enough at the ukulele to the point where I can comfortably play and sing at the same time
6) be passable at the guitar
7) buy a keyboard
which novels you gonna tackle?

Sven
12-28-2007, 04:05 AM
which novels you gonna tackle?

Well, I know I'm going to go for The Brothers Karamazov, which is right after I finish Moby Dick. But now that I look at the book I had lined up after that, Barnaby Rudge, I'm noticing that it doesn't even crack 700 pages, so maybe I'll amend it to say that they will be 500+ pages. That's probably more realistic. I'm a pretty damn slow reader.

But yeah, it'll probably be something like Brothers K, Barnaby Rudge, if I'm diggin' on the Dickens I'll try Bleak House, Gravity's Rainbow, maybe something by Trollope, perhaps I'll try and read Monte Cristo (the movie versions have turned me off the book). Just whatever I feel like at the time, basically.

To keep it even more realistic, maybe if I read 2 shorter ones, I will count that as a long one. Then I'll definitely succeed!

Barty
12-28-2007, 04:15 AM
1. Write a theology book
2. Write a television series outline/script
3. Finish all the books I've started
4. Workout and gain muscle
5. Get a girlfriend
6. Become a General Manager of a theatre
7. Take up photography

Rowland
12-28-2007, 04:21 AM
7. Take up photographyOhh, good one. I've been meaning to do this as well. I think I'll have a good eye for it.

soitgoes...
12-28-2007, 04:32 AM
Fight a dragon.
Haircut.

Start with the opium and the rest will probably just sort itself out. Except for the haircut.

Ezee E
12-28-2007, 11:12 AM
I've never really understood the resolution of getting a girlfriend. It seems like a thing that should kinda happen on its own, unless you try going to bars and finding someone. And there is nothing wrong with that either, especially if you don't mind scratching the sack every few minutes later on.

Li Lili
12-28-2007, 12:12 PM
I've never really understood the resolution of getting a girlfriend. It seems like a thing that should kinda happen on its own, unless you try going to bars and finding someone. And there is nothing wrong with that either, especially if you don't mind scratching the sack every few minutes later on.
Getting a girlfriend or boyfriend shouldn't be difficult, finding deep love is another thing.
I never got a boyfriend in bars.
But I agree love is unexpected.
So far, only men are looking for love, I thought it was the other way round, aren't women looking for love anymore ? Maybe they're disillusioned.

Ezee E
12-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Getting a girlfriend or boyfriend shouldn't be difficult, finding deep love is another thing.
So far, only men are looking for love, I thought it was the other way round, aren't women looking for love anymore ? Maybe they're disillusioned.
Well, considering the ratio of guys to girls on here, it makes sense. Unless you're referring to an "in general" sense, in which case...

Li Lili
12-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Well, considering the ratio of guys to girls on here, it makes sense. Unless you're referring to an "in general" sense, in which case...Yeah, this forum feels more masculine. It needs more women to spice it up :twisted:
I don't know in general, but all my friends or girls I know aren't looking for love, some fall in love but it doesn't happen because they are looking for it.
We're not waiting for it either like in a fairy tale....
It just happens.

Melville
12-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Wow. You guys are all very ambitious. My only hope is to survive to next year and maybe get started on my thesis. And that stain on my carpet is staying right where it is.

Sycophant
12-28-2007, 04:42 PM
1. Direct at least 3 shorts
2. Begin finishing episodes of this animated short series I've been working on for nearly 5 years
3. Complete 3 feature-length screenplays
4. Try to sell that one I finished
5. Meet some new people
6. Figure out what the fuck I'm doing in 2009

Rowland
12-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Girlfriends are expensive, time-consuming, and stressful. If I get one, I'll stumble upon her on accident. And "true love"?! :eek: That's just terrifying.

D_Davis
12-28-2007, 05:04 PM
1. Finish writing 10 short stories
2. Make at least $100 for writing.

Ezee E
12-28-2007, 05:15 PM
1. Direct at least 3 shorts
2. Begin finishing episodes of this animated short series I've been working on for nearly 5 years
3. Complete 3 feature-length screenplays
4. Try to sell that one I finished
5. Meet some new people
6. Figure out what the fuck I'm doing in 2009
Three feature-length? I'm lucky if I can get one in a year.

Ezee E
12-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah, this forum feels more masculine. It needs more women to spice it up :twisted:
I don't know in general, but all my friends or girls I know aren't looking for love, some fall in love but it doesn't happen because they are looking for it.
We're not waiting for it either like in a fairy tale....
It just happens.
Hmm... Girls my age are all over the place. I'm not sure how old you are, but the ones in the mid-20's seem to either want to party or want to get married. One would assume that getting married is "true love" but that ain't even true now.

I have no intention of getting married anytime soon. But if it happens, it happens. And it won't be in the "oops, baby come now" way.

Sycophant
12-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Three feature-length? I'm lucky if I can get one in a year.
I'm in the process of writing seven or eight or something, some of which I've been writing since 2004. Once I've got some off my plate (I'm prohibiting myself from actually starting any new ones until I finish some others), I can move on to some other ideas I have brewing.

It should be noted that I've only ever actually completed one in the past, and that was a collaboration.

number8
12-28-2007, 06:25 PM
1. Graduate college.
2. Sell one of the scripts I have lying around.
3. Become Batman.

Milky Joe
12-28-2007, 06:40 PM
1. make my classes my bitch this coming semester.
2. write a novel.
3. do more cooking.
4. move to oregon in the fall.

Lasse
12-28-2007, 07:13 PM
I've never really understood the resolution of getting a girlfriend. It seems like a thing that should kinda happen on its own, unless you try going to bars and finding someone.

I meant it as something I'd actively look for. Something that I hope to find somewhere, not something I'd prowl every bar and club for.

And there is nothing wrong with that either, especially if you don't mind scratching the sack every few minutes later on.

You get used to it. :|

Li Lili
12-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Hmm... Girls my age are all over the place. I'm not sure how old you are, but the ones in the mid-20's seem to either want to party or want to get married. One would assume that getting married is "true love" but that ain't even true now.I have no intention of getting married anytime soon. But if it happens, it happens. And it won't be in the "oops, baby come now" way.
oh! How boring girls!!!
I'm 33 (the best age!), but people think I'm in my 20s.
Saying that, I don't think it's to do with age but with attitude and the way you consider life in general.
I have friends of different ages, from different cultures, most do no not look for love, but it doesn't mean that love doesn't mean anything to them.
I don't plan the future, I live in the present time, now.
I don't believe in marriage, marriage means nothing to me, love does.

Lasse
12-28-2007, 09:57 PM
What if love is a dog? Two for one.

:lol:

I was thinking another kind of love, primarily.

Perhaps this will come off as mean, but I'm glad I'm not alone.

I know what you mean. ;) I'm the only one in my close circle of friends that doesn't have a girlfriend. It's scary and depressing. Scary, because I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Depressing, because I know I'm not the ugliest, the stupidest, the most boring, poorest, least charming etc... person in the group. Whatever, this just provest that finding it's a matter of fate and/or luck.

That is to say, I came close this year, but it wasn't meant to be. The wounds are slowly healing, new opportunities must be vigorously pursued in 2008. I need love more than anything else in the world. I wish this was easier for me, but it's not and that blows ass.

I remember that story, and wanted to ask you what happened in the end. It ended badly, I take it? You don't have to answer if you think it's too private.

Good luck!

Likewise! :)

SpaceOddity
12-29-2007, 06:36 PM

*not looking for love*

jenniferofthejungle
12-29-2007, 06:57 PM
1. Get a job
2. Look for a better job once I have the first one.
3. Lose weight and keep it off
4. Read a book a week.
5. Learn to knit.
6. Make a few zombies.

Li Lili
12-29-2007, 07:12 PM
*not looking for love*
;)

SpaceOddity
12-29-2007, 07:27 PM
;)

Well, except with a rich, hot, old sadist.

http://www.pictureshowman.com/images/articles/Articles_graphics/Rebecca/Rebecca_2.jpg

*rests case*

Watashi
12-29-2007, 09:24 PM
1. Read more
2. Watch more
3. Sleep more
4. Exercise more
5. Work more
6. Ponder more
7. Kill more

Ezee E
12-29-2007, 10:58 PM
5. Work more
7. Kill more

These two you can use as a combo.

It works.

I know.

Li Lili
12-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Well, except with a rich, hot, old sadist. *rests case*
It's always better in fantasy.

Sycophant
12-30-2007, 12:33 AM
It's always better in fantasy.
This statement applies to everything.

Li Lili
12-30-2007, 12:39 AM
This statement applies to everything.
Hmm... thinking...
And I don't think so, but for men yes...I think

SpaceOddity
12-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Hmm... thinking...
And I don't think so, but for men yes...I think

*disagrees*

Li Lili
12-30-2007, 01:58 PM
*disagrees*
"In dreams I walk with you, In dreams I talk to you, In dreams you're mine, All the time"

bac0n
12-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Me:

1) Finish the half-dozen songs I've started.
2) Start (and finish) an additional four.

Lucky
12-30-2007, 06:52 PM
-Learn some Italian for my trip.

I can help you with that if you're interested.

-Find a career
-Go a year without TV/read more (not much of a stretch as I'm too cheap to pay for cable)
-Become a piano virtuoso or at least get back to my skill level in highschool
-And the cliched "work out more"

SpaceOddity
12-30-2007, 07:05 PM
"In dreams I walk with you, In dreams I talk to you, In dreams you're mine, All the time"

Certain people >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fantasy

*shrug*

Li Lili
12-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Certain people >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fantasy

*shrug*
:|
I was making a reference to Blue Velvet, but more than anything to Coil's Love's Secret Domain whose lyrics are the following 5歌颂- :

Oh rose, thou art sick
Seduce... let loose
The vision and the void
Blood sickle... honey suck

In little children's heavy heads
My dreams erupt while in my bed
Innocence is dripping red.

In dreams I walk with you
In dreams I talk with you
In dreams...
You're mine
All of the time.

Heads on fire and drunken lights
Days devoured by hungry nights
In love's secret domain
This is mad love
This is mad love
In love's secret domain.

Sweet tortures fly on mystery wings
Pure evil is when flowers sing
My heart,
My heart is a rose
This is mad love, Oh
This is mad love
In love's secret domain...

Give sanity a longer leash, but
Some of us have sharper teeth
In love's secret domain...

In dreams I walk with you...
In dreams I talk with you...
In dreams...
You're mine
All of the time.

Oh rose, Thou art sick
The invisible worm
The vision and the void
The blood sickle cuts.
And the honey sucks.

Oh rose, thou art sick !

Ezee E
12-31-2007, 11:31 AM
I can help you with that if you're interested.

How so?

-Go a year without TV/read more (not much of a stretch as I'm too cheap to pay for cable)

Does this include Netflix TV shows?

Lucky
12-31-2007, 08:00 PM
How so?

I minored in Italian in college. If you still have my yahoo name, hit me up sometime. I have a travel book I'd be more than happy to send you, too. It's been collecting dust on my bookshelf since I went in '01.

DSNT
01-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Do something smart financially.
Lose 10 lbs.
Watch more movies.

Morris Schæffer
01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
I remember that story, and wanted to ask you what happened in the end. It ended badly, I take it? You don't have to answer if you think it's too private.

Well, yeah, it didn't end on a positive note. We're still friends, but there's little contact which is perhaps a rather understandable approach for the both of us. She's still with her boyfriend. Oh well, I was in Berlin for new year and met another girl. It was wonderful and that's perhaps how one deals with such matters. Still, I'm not sure I'm all too eager to drive to Frankfurt on a regular basis (350 km).:)

kamran
01-07-2008, 01:57 PM
1. Continue transitioning towards a raw vegan diet. (Although I'm already vegan, the raw part of it has been very tricky over the last year.)
2. Lose ten pounds of fat and gain it back in muscle.
3. No more buying of books until I finish all the ones pending on my bookshelf.
4. Find apartment, move out of family home.
5. Yoga everyday.
6. Get involved in volunteering, activism, good work, etc.

MadMan
01-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I stopped making resolutions years ago. I've never once followed one. That said, if I did make some they would include the following:

1. Get a car and keep it intact for longer than a year
2. Actually try to date someone
3. Try to loose some of the weight I've gained over the past year
4. Drink more, not less
5. Engage in at least a few of the things my college has to offer
6. Read more books, watch less TV/movies
7. Find a better job than the one I have now

Winston*
01-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Fight a dragon.
Haircut.

One down!

Fucked that dragon UP!