PDA

View Full Version : Portlandia

Spinal
12-20-2010, 05:38 AM
A new IFC series starring Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein that will premiere in January.

Not sure how I feel about this. Not because I will take offense, but because it might encourage people to move here.

Promo video:

FE_9CzLCbkY

number8
12-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I saw an ad for this and was really confused how Fred Armisen could do two sketch shows in two different coasts simultaneously.

Thirdmango
12-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Oh man, I still Daibolo, I should move to Portland.

Mara
12-20-2010, 03:25 PM
I associate the 90's too heavily with high school to ever want to go back.

In fact, I can safely say that was the worst decade of my life.

Spinal
12-20-2010, 07:14 PM
I have a friend who looks a lot like that blonde girl with the glasses.

Also, I know more than one person who went to clown school.

Kurosawa Fan
12-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Spinal, don't you generally not care for Armisen? Are you still planning on watching this?

Mara
12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Also, I know more than one person who went to clown school.

I had the hugest crush on a boy who went to clown school and became a professional clown.

I have no opinion on Armisen, other than being surprised how quickly he divorced Peggy.

Spinal
12-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Spinal, don't you generally not care for Armisen? Are you still planning on watching this?

I think my issue with him was mostly his Obama impression, which I thought was pretty poor. I've since lightened up a bit on him, though he still annoys me on some level. But, I will not miss an opportunity to see Carrie Brownstein do comedy.

ContinentalOp
12-20-2010, 08:16 PM
A new IFC series starring Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein that will premiere in January.

Not sure how I feel about this. Not because I will take offense, but because it might encourage people to move here.

Promo video:

FE_9CzLCbkY
There's no might about it. This show is dangerous and must be stopped. Really sick of the spoiled, arrogant hipsters in this town.

[ETM]
12-20-2010, 10:31 PM
I associate the 90's too heavily with high school to ever want to go back.

In fact, I can safely say that was the worst decade of my life.

Let me see... the country I grew up in went up in flames in 1991, there was war for the better part of the decade... the world imposed debilitating political and economic sanctions on what was now my new country 1992-1996, resulting in galloping inflation and the near collapse of the entire economy... and just when we thought the decade was almost over, NATO bombed us in 1999.

Yeah, worst decade ever.

Mara
12-20-2010, 11:11 PM
;311069']Let me see... the country I grew up in went up in flames in 1991, there was war for the better part of the decade... the world imposed debilitating political and economic sanctions on what was now my new country 1992-1996, resulting in galloping inflation and the near collapse of the entire economy... and just when we thought the decade was almost over, NATO bombed us in 1999.

Yeah, worst decade ever.

Well, now my bad decade sounds a little petty. Serves me right for whining.

[ETM]
12-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Well, now my bad decade sounds a little petty. Serves me right for whining.

Not my intention, sweetie. I didn't think that much of it when it was happening, but in retrospect it does mean I was robbed a whole decade. And my (pretty awful) high school years were right smack in the middle, and end up seeming lovely in comparison to everything else that was going on.

On a positive note, this decade has turned out not so bad after all.

Mara
12-21-2010, 12:53 AM
Perspective is a good thing.

And this last decade was okay. The second half was better than the first.

[ETM]
12-21-2010, 12:55 AM
And this last decade was okay. The second half was better than the first.

It's the other way round for me. 2010 has been perhaps the worst year in this decade, professionally and emotionally. Although I think 2007 was best overall.

MadMan
12-21-2010, 03:35 AM
Um, sorry to those who had a shitty 90s....I recall enjoying it, but I guess I was lucky, I suppose.....

As for the show, can't say I have any interest in watching it.

number8
12-21-2010, 01:37 PM
The country I lived in for most of the 90's had a monumental handover between two governments in 1997, which was when my family moved back to my nation's capitol hometown that went up in flames the following year in a city-wide riot that deposed a 30 year dictatorship.

But the decade had some pretty sweet cartoons.

soitgoes...
01-18-2011, 07:35 AM
The first episode wasn't really funny. I did laugh at my girlfriend during the 90's song where they sing about how all the hot girls wear glasses. She wasn't pleased.

ledfloyd
01-18-2011, 10:44 AM
i thought it was pretty funny. particularly the hide and seek sketch.

number8
01-18-2011, 01:42 PM
I didn't think it was very funny, either.

Are they really going to make an ongoing series of sketches all based around the premise of "Portland has weird artistic people"?

Grouchy
01-18-2011, 02:18 PM
My country didn't go up in flames until December 2001, but from an economical point of view, it spent the '90s building that disaster.

Milky Joe
01-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Are they really going to make an ongoing series of sketches all based around the premise of "Portland has weird artistic people"?

Oh, god. I have a feeling that if I watch this show I will vomit.

number8
01-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Oh, and the Steve Buscemi sketch was just beyond awful. What the fuck was that?

transmogrifier
01-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Carrie needs to get back on the Sleater-Kinney train, quick-snap.

Spinal
01-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Carrie needs to get back on the Sleater-Kinney train, quick-snap.

I want to see a Wild Flag show before she does though.

Adam
01-19-2011, 12:28 AM
I tried watching this the other day, but Fred Armisen is a person I have such an irrational and unfair distaste for that I had to give up. He's right up (down?) there with Jeremy Davies and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in my book

Spinal
01-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Hmmm ... yeah. Just watched it. Not very good at all. It's kind of fun seeing Carrie Brownstein act and seeing the different Portland locations, but the writing is unfortunately not very good.

number8
01-19-2011, 02:42 PM
I tried watching this the other day, but Fred Armisen is a person I have such an irrational and unfair distaste for that I had to give up. He's right up (down?) there with Jeremy Davies and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in my book

ಠ_ಠ

Ezee E
04-19-2015, 07:08 PM
Haven't seen any threads on this.

My brother's a fan of the show and I've watched from Season 3 onward. Pretty funny and enjoyable to watch.

Chloe Sevigny is a delight to watch in comedic roles.

Portland seems a lot like the city of Boulder, but far bigger.

Spinal
04-20-2015, 04:35 PM

So, yeah, it was worse than I thought. Stop sending us your 'free spirits'. It's getting intolerable. Fuck this show.

MadMan
04-20-2015, 07:11 PM
I've watched and enjoyed the first two episodes of Season 1. Don't worry Portlanders I'm not moving to your city. Because I'm too broke to escape Iowa.

Spinal
04-20-2015, 08:41 PM
I appreciate your sentiment, although being broke doesn't seem to stop some people.

Ezee E
04-20-2015, 09:38 PM
So, yeah, it was worse than I thought. Stop sending us your 'free spirits'. It's getting intolerable. Fuck this show.

Denver's been getting this for the last ten years. Traffic on certain highways is almost at a California rate.

Spinal
04-20-2015, 10:17 PM
It's not the traffic that bothers me. It's the increasing number of people who feel the need to broadcast their 'quirky' personality at all times. The show started out as a gross exaggeration and now it feels like people think, oh, this is what we do here now.

Ezee E
04-21-2015, 12:40 AM
It's not the traffic that bothers me. It's the increasing number of people who feel the need to broadcast their 'quirky' personality at all times. The show started out as a gross exaggeration and now it feels like people think, oh, this is what we do here now.

I do plan on hiking some of the mountains around there soon. Hope that's okay!

Pop Trash
04-21-2015, 06:51 AM

Bay Area is pretty bad too, but I guess its been this way since the 60s.

Spinal
04-21-2015, 08:44 PM
I do plan on hiking some of the mountains around there soon. Hope that's okay!

Perfectly reasonable! As long as you are not riding through downtown on a unicycle with a handlebar moustache.

D_Davis
04-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Well, Seattle is the fasted growing city in the US right now, and it sucks.

STOP MOVING HERE!

We don't even have a stupid TV show, just over-crowded streets and rent that is too damn high thanks to all the Amazonians.

So many fucking nerds here, damn, totally devoid of culture, too.

We don't even get the cool art and music of Portland. Just a bunch of over-paid software geeks making it easier for corporations to market to consumers and collect data.

At least I get to escape it every night and weekend in Edmonds, and still can't beat the views and scenery.

D_Davis
04-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Perfectly reasonable! As long as you are not riding through downtown on a unicycle with a handlebar moustache.

I'll take the unicycles and triple-decker bikers over the software engineers with cargo shorts and video game shirts any old day.

number8
04-22-2015, 03:58 PM
Portlandia is a very funny comedy program.

D_Davis
04-22-2015, 04:21 PM
It can be funny, but the skits almost always go on for far too long.