PDA

View Full Version : Hell on Wheels

Sxottlan
12-16-2010, 01:42 AM
New AMC show (http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-news/2010/12/amc-greenlights-hell-on-wheels.php).

The premise sounds fantastic.

number8
12-16-2010, 01:48 AM
Awesome. I just hope it won't cover the same grounds as Deadwood. From what it sounds like, it might be more action-oriented than Deadwood.

Winston*
12-16-2010, 01:52 AM
Sounds good. Though this:

The series is created and written by Joe and Tony Gayton (Faster/Uncommon Valor/Salton Sea/Bulletproof)

gives me pause.

[ETM]
12-16-2010, 01:58 AM
It's sad when Colm Meaney gets saddled with just his "Get Him to the Greek" credit. Also - Endemol? The Big Brother company?

Sxottlan
12-16-2010, 02:04 AM
;309822']It's sad when Colm Meaney gets saddled with just his "Get Him to the Greek" credit.

Agreed.

Yeah how about Deep Space Nine?

number8
12-16-2010, 02:28 PM
;309822']Also - Endemol? The Big Brother company?

Hey, they did Dead Set.

Sxottlan
10-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Saw the commercial for this during The Walking Dead tonight.

Can't wait!

78zEDBmHwbU

MadMan
10-17-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm a sucker for westerns, and I think this looks pretty good to me.

Mara
10-17-2011, 01:05 PM
That looks cool, but I hate the title.

Kurosawa Fan
10-17-2011, 01:08 PM
That preview doesn't look nearly as appealing as I thought it would.

[ETM]
10-17-2011, 01:23 PM
That looks cool, but I hate the title.

It's about as accurate as they get, though, because that's precisely what the show is about. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_on_Wheels)

Mara
10-17-2011, 01:27 PM
;378578']It's about as accurate as they get, though, because that's precisely what the show is about. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_on_Wheels)

I honestly didn't know that was the origin of the phrase, which excuses it a little. But it's been overused in American culture and media to the point where it sounds hopelessly clichéd.

ledfloyd
11-05-2011, 12:04 AM
i've been ambivalent on whether or not to watch this, because the critical reaction has been decidedly mixed. but i think this piece (http://www.salon.com/2011/11/04/hell_on_wheels_is_a_western_bu ilt_for_hard_times/) pretty much guarantees i'll be tuning in.

Thirdmango
11-05-2011, 07:21 AM
I will tune in no matter what because I will tune into everything Colm Meaney ever does.

Sxottlan
11-05-2011, 08:44 AM
I honestly didn't know that was the origin of the phrase, which excuses it a little. But it's been overused in American culture and media to the point where it sounds hopelessly clichéd.

Interesting. I always thought that phrase referred to the fire on board the train used to drive the steam engine.

Mara
11-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Anyone watch? Was it good?

[ETM]
11-07-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm sitting this one out. The reviewers I trust weren't impressed at all after five episodes, and I'm not really into the premise.

ledfloyd
11-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Anyone watch? Was it good?
i didn't think it was bad. i was pretty engaged for the duration but it kind of left my mind as soon as it was over. we'll see where it goes next week.

MadMan
11-11-2011, 08:59 AM
While the pilot episode takes a while to find its footing, I thought it was fairly good overall, even though I figured out midway through how the whole thing was going to end. Still I'm optimistic about the direction the show plans to take, and whoever is in the lead sure did a pretty good job of channeling Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood. Hopefully down the road Common's character actually gets further fleshed out, too.

For the record, I've seen very little of Deadwood, but I'm sure that Hell On Wheels will be unfairly compared to it. I'm guessing that Deadwood is the superior show, but also the two from what I've viewed are quite different, especially in tone.

Also AMC sure loves really violent shows, heh. Nothing like watching an angry woman jam an arrow right into a Native American's throat.

MadMan
11-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Anyone else still watching this? I liked the second episode, although in some respects not a lot happened aside from them setting up a possible season long villain in The Swede-who was awesome, btw.

Thirdmango
11-16-2011, 12:01 AM
I finally watched both episodes last night. I liked it, but I don't see too much future at the moment. I did recently watch High Noon and it does have the same sort of spacing and timing of a western. Some drawn out times and such. Colm Meaney was awesome. I'll probably watch every week.

MadMan
11-18-2011, 07:03 PM
It is interesting that in some ways despite its look, tone, and feel (plus the amount of violence involved) that its overall story is more of a traditionalist western.

Colm Meaney and whoever plays the lead role are indeed the best things about it at the moment, plus whoever is playing The Swede. Not sure why they have Common right now, as they've given him very little to do.

MadMan
11-28-2011, 08:19 PM
So am I the only one left watching this? Last week's episode was much stronger, but I enjoyed last night's for the individual moments. Judging from their interactions I'm a bit worried they'll have Cullen and Bell fall in love, but I doubt that for now. Glad to see Common actually get a chance to show some acting chops. Colm Meaney is still the best thing about this show.

Oh and I really know Colm Meaney best from Layer Cake, which he was amazing in as a tough, yet fair minded gangster. "Your not in there because I like you."

Thirdmango
11-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Good to hear my man Colm is doing awesome. I'm a big DS9 fan so he's been on my radar for a while, he's the only reason I watched Law Abiding Citizen. I'll get around to it soonish. It's not at the top of my list at the moment especially since the top of my list is currently filled with homework. I bet I'll be able to talk about it round the sixth episode.

Sxottlan
12-02-2011, 09:48 AM
So am I the only one left watching this?

I'm DVRing it, but I've been busy and fell behind after watching the pilot awhile ago.

Watched episode 2 tonight and I think I enjoyed it more than the pilot. The aftermath of the surveyor team massacre especially. Liking the widow. Still feels like it's in set-up mode, which is fine. The cinematography was a big step up too.

The lead is a bit distracting in that he seems like a hybrid of Vigo Mortensen and Jim Cavezial.

And yes, the Swede is instantly awesome. :cool: He has this undertaker thing going on.

MadMan
12-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I really dig the lead at this point. The actor playing him has been able to sell the "Badass loner" part quite well, which is why I don't want to see him hook up with anyone or become too good of friends with Common's character. Its good to have a new show to latch onto since I find The Walking Dead lackluster-still need to see the latest episode, though-and I've quit The Office.

Thirdmango
02-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Finally got around to watching the last episode. The season overall was pretty decent, it's not the best show on television but it's not the worst, it's somewhere muddled in the middle. It has been renewed for a second season so I am decently interested when it comes back to see what they're going to try and do with it. The ending of the season sort of left it in a way where I'm not really sure if the lead can be a part of the camp again.

MadMan
02-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I gave up on it before the last two episodes aired. I just got tired of it monkeying around and not really going anywhere.

MadMan
07-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Ok so I decided to give this show another shot. I'm on the 5th episode and I actually really enjoy it so far. Although the main appeal remains Cullen and Elam being badass while Thomas waxes poetically.

Thirdmango
07-29-2014, 06:11 PM
I have about eight episodes til I finish it. I'll get around to it eventually.

MadMan
08-02-2014, 05:57 PM
The fight between Cullen and Elam was great. A lot better the second time around.

MadMan
08-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Season 1 was fucking badass. And really depressing. Loved the season finale. I'm already on the third episode of Season 2. I have a feeling this one will be all about consequences. Can't wait.