PDA

View Full Version : Young Justice

Watashi
12-01-2010, 07:14 AM
http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/young-justice-animated-series.jpg

Hey meg or 8, did any of you catch the premiere last week? It was.... pretty fucking badass. It's available on torrents.

It's nice to have a great DC show again.

Thirdmango
12-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Everyone i know that watched it loved it, I haven't found it on any of my loyal torrent sites so I'll look around cause I did want to check this out.

[ETM]
12-01-2010, 03:24 PM
rlslog dot net has it.

number8
12-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah, the line-up is disappointing and I'd rather they do the Peter David version, but it's still awesome that we have this.

[ETM]
12-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I laughed - I had just read some list of worst superhero names, and half of them were in the episode.

Irish
12-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Same guys who did Batman/Superman/JLU?

Watashi
12-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Same guys who did Batman/Superman/JLU?
No, this is from Greg Weisman, who did Gargoyles and The Spectacular Spider-Man.

number8
12-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Ha, what. Robin was Jesse McCartney?!

He was good...

megladon8
12-05-2010, 10:51 PM
No I didn't get to see this.

But you know what I did see that was surprisingly good? Batman: Under the Red Hood.

Grouchy
12-06-2010, 02:08 PM
No I didn't get to see this.

But you know what I did see that was surprisingly good? Batman: Under the Red Hood.
Why surprising? I've liked all of the DC Universe films so far.

megladon8
12-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Why surprising? I've liked all of the DC Universe films so far.

I haven't at all.

It's the first great one since Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. I was starting to think they'd lost their magic.

number8
12-06-2010, 08:15 PM
You are both wrong.

megladon8
12-06-2010, 08:21 PM
You are both wrong.

About what? You didn't like Under the Red Hood? Or you thought there were other great DCU animated movies in the last few years?

number8
12-06-2010, 08:22 PM
The DC Universe films have generally not been that good—Under the Hood included.

megladon8
12-06-2010, 08:26 PM
The DC Universe films have generally not been that good—Under the Hood included.

I agree with the first part.

number8
12-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Going back to the show, I'm sure I'm not the only one disappointed by the roster specifically because Tim and Kon's friendship is so important in the comics, and here we've got Dick Grayson as Robin instead. I'm sure they think as long as it's a friendship between Superboy and Robin it doesn't matter which Robin it is, but I disagree. :sad:

[ETM]
12-07-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm sure they think as long as it's a friendship between Superboy and Robin it doesn't matter which Robin it is, but I disagree. :sad:

I'm thinking they might be pandering to those who might watch but have never heard of a different Robin.

Watashi
12-07-2010, 01:39 AM

The New Frontier is fantastic. Easily their best.

number8
12-07-2010, 05:13 PM
The New Frontier is fantastic. Easily their best.

The first 2/3rd, yes.

number8
12-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Also, I think Kurosawa Fan should watch this simply because Robin keeps calling Kid Flash KF.

megladon8
12-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I actually thought "The New Frontier" was pretty terrible. The only thing I liked about it was the character designs and overall style of the movie. It was certainly pretty.

number8
12-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Wonder Woman and Crisis on Two Earths remain their two best.

megladon8
12-07-2010, 09:49 PM

I was watching the feature on Crisis on Two Earths on the Under the Red Hood DVD and it looked cool.

James Woods as the anti-Batman certainly has my interest peaked.

But really, what the hell happened to DC animation? They were churning out incredible stuff year-after-year for more than a decade, and the last few years they've taken a nosedive.

It doesn't even seem like there's been much of a change in their production/management teams. Bruce Timm is still intrinsically involved in all of the projects, they've kept up great voice casts and talent on all levels.

It's just the actual storytelling that has sucked the big one for quite a while and I don't get why that is.

Nothing has bested Return of the Joker or Mask of the Phantasm.

number8
12-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Because adapting popular story arcs is a rather impotent strategy. The two I mentioned were both original stories. Surprise?

Then again, I'm stoked for All-Star Superman and Batman: Year One, so I'm not really one to talk.

Kurosawa Fan
12-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Also, I think Kurosawa Fan should watch this simply because Robin keeps calling Kid Flash KF.

I'm in.

Watashi
12-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Ew. I hated Wonder Woman.

It was basically 300 for girls.

Watashi
12-07-2010, 10:56 PM
I actually thought "The New Frontier" was pretty terrible. The only thing I liked about it was the character designs and overall style of the movie. It was certainly pretty.
The New Frontier had a giant floating island made out of dinosaurs called "The Center" voiced by Keith David.

It was destined to be awesome.

Watashi
12-07-2010, 10:57 PM
But honestly, the best think DC has done in the past decade is Starcrossed.

Grouchy
12-10-2010, 02:10 AM
Because adapting popular story arcs is a rather impotent strategy. The two I mentioned were both original stories. Surprise?
Huh, Crisis on Two Earths was based on Grant Morrison's JLA: Earth 2. Not too closely, but still. Wonder Woman is an original origin story but heavily influenced by the George Perez run from the late '80s.

My take on these films:

Superman: Doomsday - Definitively the worst of the bunch and a sour beginning. My main problem lies in the awkward character work (the Superman / Lois interaction was terrible) and in the confused way in which they tried to adapt the whole Death and Return of Superman thingy into less than 80 minutes. With the proper re-write, though, this would be a good basis for a kick ass live action film.

Justice League: The New Frontier - I haven't read the comic, but I got a kick out of this film. Awesome designs and animation and a good epic feel to it. I don't remember a lot of detail but it has a positive vote from me.

Batman: Gotham Knight - Kind of a disappointment. Some chapters were good, some were simply ugly to watch. I think too much ambition killed this one.

Wonder Woman - My favorite of the bunch. Simply a great superhero film. The themes of female empowerment are handled well and the film's racy dialogue reminded me of something that could be found in classic Hollywood.

Green Lantern: First Flight - Good stuff for the most part, and the idea of approaching it like a cop film (basically Training Day in outer space with Sinestro as Denzel) is a solid one, but this one felt undercooked to me. The script is too blame. Felt like it was going through the motions a bit too fast.

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - Well, the original comic for this is moronic and an example of Loeb at his worst. The movie sort of worked for me because: 1) I didn't expect any substance in the first place 2) Random ass-kicking looks better in motion than in the page.

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths - Great. It takes all the good stuff from Morrison's comic and improves on the action and in the exploration of this new world. Some of its original ideas (such as Deathstroke President and the Martian Manhunter romantic subplot) are amazing, and it's filled with badass moments.

Batman: Under the Red Hood - Good stuff. I hated the original storyline mainly because of the concept, not because it was bad writing per se. This is a grim film that offers good insight into the life of Batman. A small problem is that (mainly because of its source) it can't really end in a satisfactory way. It follows the conflic between Batman and Jason all the way to the showdown but it doesn't provide an ending.

The short films are maybe even better. Loved the Jonah Hex and the Spectre.

number8
12-10-2010, 02:19 AM
What? What's similar about Crisis on Two Earths and Earth-2 besides the fact that they both have the Crime Syndicate as villains?

Grouchy
12-10-2010, 03:01 AM
But the Crime Sindycate hadn't appeared for years before Morrison made Earth 2. I think it's safe to say that, even if they only used the concept and not the plot, it's an adaptation of that book.

number8
12-10-2010, 03:07 AM
That doesn't make any sense. They've been around for 30 years, and after they got wiped out in Crisis, Mark Waid brought them back Post-Crisis in the 90's before Morrison used them in his JLA run. Why would you assume that McDuffie was adapting Morrison's story if the plot isn't even the same?

Grouchy
12-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Mark Waid brought them back Post-Crisis in the 90's before Morrison used them in his JLA run
Well, I didn't know this.

You might be right, but considering the similarities in the title and in the graphic look of the entire Crime Syndicate, I mean, come on. Even if I'm wrong you have to see where I'm coming from.

From Wikipedia: "The premise of Crisis on Two Earths is borrowed from the 1964 Gardner Fox-scripted Justice League of America #29–30 entitled "Crisis on Earth-Three!" as well as the 2000 Grant Morrison JLA: Earth 2 graphic novel"

number8
12-10-2010, 05:00 AM
Sure, I'm not denying that it borrows elements, like I'm not denying that Wonder Woman is heavily Perez influenced. I'm just saying they're not adaptations, and as far as DC superhero stories go, they're originals.

EyesWideOpen
12-12-2010, 03:32 PM
You guys are crazy these new DC animated films are great. And all since Doomsday (the only one I've seen I didn't like) have been getting very positive reviews.

I'd rather watch these animated films then anything their going to do with live action DC movies.

Hell the Spectre and Jonah Hex shorts are better then any live-action DC movie.

megladon8
12-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Ugh, I thought the Jonah Hex short was almost as bad as the live action movie.

In other news, I ordered a copy of Crisis on Two Earths. Looking forward to seeing it.

Grouchy
12-13-2010, 12:08 AM
What? The Jonah Hex short was fucking badass. I loved that.

Watashi
01-11-2011, 09:26 PM
This is so amazing. (http://screenrant.com/conan-obrien-young-justice-flaming-c-mcrid-95888/)

Wryan
01-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Damn I missed this. Gonna have to find it when it comes on again.

number8
02-11-2011, 08:29 PM
So are people watching this? Because it's totally cool.

Watashi
02-11-2011, 08:39 PM
So are people watching this? Because it's totally cool.
I keep forgetting to DVR this.

To the internet I go!

megladon8
02-11-2011, 09:27 PM
I'll definitely be picking up the DVD.

We don't get it here.

Thirdmango
11-21-2011, 07:08 PM
alright, so to update, I watched all 17 episodes in the past couple days. I am often weary of shows like this and for the most part I'm not caught up on any of the comics. I never even knew there was a Young Justice comic. I looked it up after I started digging on this show and maybe it's just because I'm watching this first but I'm very happy with Dick Grayson being Robin and I'm very happy with the character arc of Superboy. The overall feel of the show is really great, there's always something going on, things they do go on as consequences in later episodes, but still each episode can be watched stand alone. The "Light" have been a really good villain team, and each of the random villains have fitted in nicely, I never expected a villain called "The Sportsmaster" to actually be good, but yet he's pretty cool. The guest acting is really great too, almost every episode I'm thinking, "oh I know that voice, who is that?" Rene Auberjonis in the first episode, Brent Spiner doing The Joker, but probably my favorite voice actor so far has been Rob Lowe doing Captain Marvel is a real treat.

I've never been much of a DC guy, I have a pretty big comic collection but for DC the only things I own are 52, Kingdom Come and The Long Halloween. Plus I haven't seen any of the animated movies you guys were all talking about in earlier parts of the thread.

Thirdmango
11-21-2011, 07:50 PM
also I just started watching Green Lantern and I hate the animation so I don't think I can continue.

Thirdmango
01-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Young Justice cancelled today. :( I'm so sad, this is one of my favorite shows. Green Lantern also cancelled but I didn't like it.

Grouchy
03-26-2013, 07:30 PM
So I'm one episode short of finishing this.

Not liking this season's ending as much as I liked the first one's (unsurprisingly, it feels rushed), but this was just a brilliant TV series. Here's to Weissman somehow pulling a way to make a third season.

number8
04-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Season 1 is on Netflix now!

Skitch
04-02-2014, 07:56 PM
And I'm half a dozen episodes deep! Quite enjoying it. Not sure about this niece of MM, though. Did they create her for the show? Their disinterest (and at times flat out refusal) to push more strong female roles in these shows annoys me.

number8
04-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Funny. They did invent one character for the show, but it's not her.

Skitch
04-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Funny. They did invent one character for the show, but it's not her.

Ha!

number8
11-07-2016, 10:32 PM
GUUUUUUUUYS.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2016/11/YJ_S3_Poster.jpg

number8
11-07-2016, 10:36 PM
Not just whelmed anymore.

Skitch
11-07-2016, 10:58 PM
YEEEES!

Grouchy