PDA

View Full Version : The Netflix Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Irish
11-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Just got this email:

We want to let you know about two important changes to the Netflix service.

1. The price of your current plan is changing from $8.99 a month to $9.99 a month. This new price will be effective with your next billing statement on or after January 2, 2011, and will be referenced in your Membership Details. With your current plan you can both instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV and receive unlimited DVDs by mail.

2. We now also offer a new $7.99 a month plan which lets you instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV. This plan does not include any DVDs. All the titles you can watch instantly on your current plan are also available on this new plan, and as a reminder, not all titles on DVD are available to watch instantly. This new plan is available immediately – if you'd like to switch to this new plan at any time, simply visit Your Account.

Why the changes? Our selection of TV episodes and movies available to stream has grown dramatically, and as a result most members want us to deliver unlimited movies and TV episodes two ways: streaming instantly over the internet plus DVDs by mail. The price change will allow us to continue to offer the popular plan choice of unlimited TV episodes and movies streaming instantly along with unlimited DVDs. The new plan, which does not include DVDs, is a great option for the increasing number of members who only want to watch instantly. The $7.99 a month price reflects no DVD shipping costs on this plan.

We hope you're enjoying great TV shows and movies from Netflix, and that you'll continue to enjoy Netflix on whichever plan you choose. We realize you have lots of home entertainment options, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-715-2146.

–The Netflix Team

Good or bad? Can't decide.

Updated: Here's the new pricing structure from the Netflix Blog (http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/new-plan-for-watching-instantly-plus.html):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2d54TOFKFPY/TOnyZck-c_I/AAAAAAAAAA0/6bMFJtNibuE/s320/pricegrid.jpg

Spun Lepton
11-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Good or bad? Can't decide.

Depends on what you're looking for. I'm now considering dumping my disc plan and going streaming-only.

DavidSeven
11-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Not sure about good or bad, but it was inevitable. Netflix is doing everything they can to get out of the "shipping DVDs" business. Postage is their most significant cost -- hundreds of millions in expenses. They cringe every time they have to mail someone a DVD.

The streaming only plan is probably more akin to subscribing to HBO or Showtime. Limited movie and TV availability. Those are the businesses you should be comparing pricing/content to if you're considering it.

Mara
11-22-2010, 10:27 PM
I was on the 3-at-a-time plan, but it's too expensive and I use streaming 80% of the time. So, I'm cutting down to 1-at-a-time + streaming. Not willing to pay that much.

D_Davis
11-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Excellent! I bumped myself down to 1 disc a month just so I could keep streaming, but not I can ditch the discs all together.

Rowland
11-22-2010, 10:32 PM
There are plenty of movies I want to see that aren't available through the streaming service to justify the extra two dollars a month for DVDs.

ledfloyd
11-22-2010, 10:35 PM
mine went from 17.99 to 19.99. i think i'm going to drop down to two at a time.

Irish
11-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Not sure about good or bad, but it was inevitable. Netflix is doing everything they can to get out of the "shipping DVDs" business. Postage is their most significant cost -- hundreds of millions in expenses. They cringe every time they have to mail someone a DVD.

True. Mara's behavior interests me, though, because it means on some level Netflix might be cannibalizing their own sales.

The only part of streaming-only that troubles me is that the movies & show licenses come and go pretty quickly, and Netflix itself doesn't give you much of a warning about this.

Mara
11-22-2010, 10:43 PM
True. Mara's behavior interests me, though, because it means on some level Netflix might be cannibalizing their own sales.

Yeah, they'll be losing money on me. I'm the perfect customer: I never ask for new stuff, and then it sits around forever until I have time to watch it. Meanwhile, I stream like a demon.

Mara
11-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah, they'll be losing money on me. I'm the perfect customer: I never ask for new stuff, and then it sits around forever until I have time to watch it. Meanwhile, I stream like a demon.

Also, I'm a clever and sensitive person: as wise as I'm lovely, tender and accomplished, graceful and compassionate, with laughter like tiny freaking bells.

Irish
11-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks for that addendum. It's good to know. ;-)

Dukefrukem
11-22-2010, 10:52 PM
I stream more than I receive discs, but my guess is they will go with everything being available on streaming. I currently have the 2 out at a time deal, considering dropping to stream only.

Ezee E
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I use the discs primarily, mostly because the movies I want aren't available on instant watch. This is disappointing. I'll probably drop to two a month.

DavidSeven
11-22-2010, 11:06 PM
but my guess is they will go with everything being available on streaming.

Won't ever happen. Other subscription services don't want their movies available for streaming on Netflix. Studios also limit their licenses to Netflix Instant Watch because of the broadcast and basic cable deals they might have in play. There's never going to be significantly more content available to you through Netflix Instant Watch than on, say, HBO. At least for newer movies.

Watashi
11-22-2010, 11:24 PM
I dropped to one a month. I've had my Netflix movies in their sleeves for over a month untouched.

Irish
11-22-2010, 11:30 PM
@DavidSeven - Well said. The cable deals hamstring everyone (Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, Hulu) trying to compete in this space. Eventually I figured the studios/cable companies (one in the same?) will try to roll out their own dedicated streaming services, and try to cripple the upstarts they way they crippled TiVo.

balmakboor
11-22-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm on the one DVD plan currently. It still seems the best option given the greater selection of DVDs. But a streaming only option starts to look better every day.

Derek
11-22-2010, 11:44 PM
I use the discs primarily, mostly because the movies I want aren't available on instant watch. This is disappointing. I'll probably drop to two a month.

This. Although I'm not that disappointed, since this is hopefully a sign that they'll get more stuff available for instant even faster than they have been.

Qrazy
11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Won't ever happen. Other subscription services don't want their movies available for streaming on Netflix. Studios also limit their licenses to Netflix Instant Watch because of the broadcast and basic cable deals they might have in play. There's never going to be significantly more content available to you through Netflix Instant Watch than on, say, HBO. At least for newer movies.

Screw new movies.

DavidSeven
11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Screw new movies.

Right on!

Anyway, the selection for older stuff is limited on Instant Watch too. Seems the extra couple bucks would be worth being able to see whatever you wanted. I'm on the two-at-a-time plan myself even though I haven't gotten a disc in ages. I'll probably convert to one-at-a-time + streaming.

Dead & Messed Up
11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm debating dropping from three-a-month to two-a-month, but I like how the 3 plan ensures constant rotation, and I don't mind the increase, since I abuse the shit out of their instant service.

I remain intensely satisfied with them.

Kurosawa Fan
11-23-2010, 12:48 AM
I have no problem paying an extra dollar a month, but I'd never get rid of the option to have at least one disc at home. I love the streaming, but it's far too limited in its present form.

Qrazy
11-23-2010, 01:33 AM
Right on!

Anyway, the selection for older stuff is limited on Instant Watch too. Seems the extra couple bucks would be worth being able to see whatever you wanted. I'm on the two-at-a-time plan myself even though I haven't gotten a disc in ages. I'll probably convert to one-at-a-time + streaming.

Yeah I agree that the lack of old content on instant watch is fairly lame, but hopefully that will change with time as licensing is probably less of an issue there.

Spinal
11-23-2010, 02:00 AM
I do the 1-DVD plan and mostly watch Instant Watch now.

I have to admit, I thought I was paying $9.99 already, so whatever.

number8
11-23-2010, 02:32 AM
I have to admit, I thought I was paying $9.99 already, so whatever.

Same

http://www.travelizmo.com/archives/cruisers-yachts-520-sports-coupe-sport-boat-2008.jpg

D_Davis
11-23-2010, 03:36 AM
I have 500 things I want to watch in my instant view queue, but I never get to them because I usually end up watching something I see whilst browsing on the Roku. Even with the limited selection, with my viewing habits I don't think I could ever watch everything I wanted to.

Bosco B Thug
11-23-2010, 03:46 AM
I have 500 things I want to watch in my instant view queue, but I never get to them because I usually end up watching something I see whilst browsing on the Roku. Even with the limited selection, with my viewing habits I don't think I could ever watch everything I wanted to.
I'm a lazy streamer as well. They should think about the lazy streamers.

Yes, I have no savvy with "stream to your TV" business, too. But I suspect that will become mainstream and readily accessible/easy at some point.

D_Davis
11-23-2010, 04:47 AM
They do need to come up with better ways to organize/browse your IV queue, though.

Irish
11-23-2010, 04:55 AM
They do need to come up with better ways to organize/browse your IV queue, though.

The best site I've come across for this is http://instantwatcher.com/

It doesn't do much to manage your queue (outside of adding movies), but the at-a-glance listing of new/popular and expiring movies is invaluable, and much easier to use than Netflix's own site.

MadMan
11-23-2010, 06:58 AM
Since I only have the one out at a time, plus instant viewing plan, I won't be changing anything anytime soon. I really like Netflix, so playing a few more dollars a month for a resource that has enabled me to drop my local video stores like a bad habbit isn't a problem for me.

They do need to come up with better ways to organize/browse your IV queue, though.Absolutely. I would love to be able to seperate my TV shows from the movies I have on the Instant queue. Would make things less messy.

Kurosawa Fan
11-23-2010, 01:52 PM
The best site I've come across for this is http://instantwatcher.com/

It doesn't do much to manage your queue (outside of adding movies), but the at-a-glance listing of new/popular and expiring movies is invaluable, and much easier to use than Netflix's own site.

This site is fantastic. Thanks for pointing it out.

Mysterious Dude
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM
A couple questions for those of you who prefer Instant Watch to receiving DVD's in the mail:

1. Do you watch movies on your computer or do you use devices such as Roku to watch them on your TV?

This is the main obstacle that prevent me from using Instant Watch more often. I can watch movies on my computer screen and find it acceptable, but I still prefer DVD's at the moment. I just haven't invested in the Roku yet. It looks like the price has gone way down since it was first introduced, so that's good.

2. Does Roku allow you to watch movies that you downloaded from the internet also (in addition to movies from Netflix)?

Spun Lepton
11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
A couple questions for those of you who prefer Instant Watch to receiving DVD's in the mail:

1. Do you watch movies on your computer or do you use devices such as Roku to watch them on your TV?

This is the main obstacle that prevent me from using Instant Watch more often. I can watch movies on my computer screen and find it acceptable, but I still prefer DVD's at the moment. I just haven't invested in the Roku yet. It looks like the price has gone way down since it was first introduced, so that's good.

2. Does Roku allow you to watch movies that you downloaded from the internet also (in addition to movies from Netflix)?

I watch Instant on my PS3.

Kurosawa Fan
11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
You can buy a Blu-Ray player for about $150 that has Netflix streaming. I'd do that before Roku.

Dukefrukem
11-23-2010, 04:38 PM

1. I have four streaming devices. Roku, My Samsung TV with built in apps, PS3 and 360. But I ALSO stream on my PC when I'm lazy... keeping in mind my PC monitor is 37 inches.

2. There is supposedly a firmware update in the future that will support this. But not yet.

Raiders
11-23-2010, 04:40 PM
I thought for the Roku box with the USB port that if you put your downloaded movie files on a flash drive you could plug it into the Roku and play them through that. Perhaps I am wrong as I don't own one, but I have been considering it and that was one of the features I swore was described to me.

Dukefrukem
11-23-2010, 04:41 PM
I thought for the Roku box with the USB port that if you put your downloaded movie files on a flash drive you could plug it into the Roku and play them through that. Perhaps I am wrong as I don't own one, but I have been considering it and that was one of the features I swore was described to me.

No that's correct. It does support that. But I thought he was referring to streaming over wifi.

edit: The most expensive model supports this (http://shop.roku.com/Roku-Streaming-Player-Options-W5.aspx).

Mara
11-23-2010, 05:42 PM
You can buy a Blu-Ray player for about $150 that has Netflix streaming. I'd do that before Roku.

...that's not bad. I'm avoided Blu-Ray because I've never mustered the energy to care THAT MUCH about picture quality. But that's cheaper than I expected.

If one buys this magical machine, does it need to be hooked up to a computer, or can it pick up the Netflix streaming from one's wifi?

MacGuffin
11-23-2010, 05:46 PM
If one buys this magical machine, does it need to be hooked up to a computer, or can it pick up the Netflix streaming from one's wifi?

If the machine in question has built-in wifi, then you won't need to worry about connecting to a computer. Most of them do.

D_Davis
11-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Don't buy into Blu-Ray. Tell these companies you're sick of double and triple dipping every ten-or-so years just because they release a new format - by not playing their games. Until we stop buying shit, the industry will just keep on insisting that we re-buy stuff over and over again like the consumer whores they think we are. In a sane world they would offer an upgrade to the license fees we've already purchased, like software does. Bought the VHS? Get the DVD for $5. Bought the DVD? Get the Blue-Ray for $5. But having to re-purchase the license agreement again and again, just because it's on a new medium, is totally ridiculous.

Death to physical media!

/rant

Irish
11-23-2010, 05:55 PM
But having to re-purchase the license agreement again and again, just because it's on a new medium, is totally ridiculous.
It is, and the media companies are attached to this model for obvious reasons.

Subscriptions and streaming have their downsides, like companies jacking prices up on a yearly basis or requiring you to "upgrade" your license for a fee.

balmakboor
11-23-2010, 06:01 PM
I watch Instant on my PS3.

ditto

Raiders
11-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Don't buy into Blu-Ray. Tell these companies you're sick of double and triple dipping every ten-or-so years just because they release a new format - by not playing their games. Until we stop buying shit, the industry will just keep on insisting that we re-buy stuff over and over again like the consumer whores they think we are. In a sane world they would offer an upgrade to the license fees we've already purchased, like software does. Bought the VHS? Get the DVD for $5. Bought the DVD? Get the Blue-Ray for $5. But having to re-purchase the license agreement again and again, just because it's on a new medium, is totally ridiculous.

Death to physical media!

/rant

While certainly re-issuing popular films on Blu-ray and new "editions" and so forth is a vast marketing strategy, and you are also right that I would not be sad if physical media went the way of the dodo, you are also missing that a software upgrade is cheaper because it is just that, an add-on to an already existing program or application. A Blu-ray is not simply the old DVD painted with blue 1080p magic dust, it is a whole new technology and an entirely new disc. I'm not sure if the technology justifies it costing more than a DVD, but to assume you should be able to buy a new Blu-ray for very cheap because you own the DVD is kinda silly.

Dead & Messed Up
11-23-2010, 06:33 PM

I have a good-sized computer monitor, so I don't have too much trouble, but I prefer watching through my Nintendo Wii. It doesn't have the HD capacity you'll find with higher-end players and game systems, but it's still great picture quality.

Dukefrukem
11-23-2010, 06:45 PM
While certainly re-issuing popular films on Blu-ray and new "editions" and so forth is a vast marketing strategy, and you are also right that I would not be sad if physical media went the way of the dodo, you are also missing that a software upgrade is cheaper because it is just that, an add-on to an already existing program or application. A Blu-ray is not simply the old DVD painted with blue 1080p magic dust, it is a whole new technology and an entirely new disc. I'm not sure if the technology justifies it costing more than a DVD, but to assume you should be able to buy a new Blu-ray for very cheap because you own the DVD is kinda silly.

In addition to that, Studio's keep digging up more content to fill the new media, which makes the new purchase perfectly acceptable. Look at the new Back to the Future release. It has scenes from the original casted Marty, Eric Stoltz.

balmakboor
11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Oh, physical media will die. It is inevitable just like applications like MS Office and Quickbooks installed locally will die. Which would you rather do? Buy MS Office and then have to download and install updates and bug fixes and pay for new versions or pay a monthly fee to always know that a URL takes you to the latest MS Office? Keep paying for newer and better DVDs, BRs, and beyond or pay for a service that always delivers to you the latest and greatest version of that title?

D_Davis
11-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Oh, physical media will die. It is inevitable just like applications like MS Office and Quickbooks installed locally will die. Which would you rather do? Buy MS Office and then have to download and install updates and bug fixes and pay for new versions or pay a monthly fee to always know that a URL takes you to the latest MS Office? Keep paying for newer and better DVDs, BRs, and beyond or pay for a service that always delivers to you the latest and greatest version of that title?

I'd rather use Open Office, for free.

Dukefrukem
11-24-2010, 01:05 PM

Well of course physical media will die.. but not for a long time. Not until the average US broadband connection far exceeds 100-150MB down .

number8
11-24-2010, 02:02 PM
That's one reason why I prefer having a PS3 to a Bluray player, actually. The fact that it's also a great digital media player.

Mysterious Dude
12-27-2010, 04:51 PM
I got a Roku for Christmas and I'm already starting to wonder how I ever lived without it. The idea of digging through my VHS collection sounds arduous compared to finding the movie on the Roku.

Kurosawa Fan
12-27-2010, 04:57 PM
I got a Roku for Christmas and I'm already starting to wonder how I ever lived without it. The idea of digging through my VHS collection sounds arduous compared to finding the movie on the Roku.

Is the Roku limited to Netflix's movie library, or does it have its own? I know it has Amazon OnDemand and Hulu Plus, but those you have to pay extra to access.

D_Davis
12-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Is the Roku limited to Netflix's movie library, or does it have its own? I know it has Amazon OnDemand and Hulu Plus, but those you have to pay extra to access.

The main library is Netflix. However, it also has a bunch of other channels with free, public domain movies/TV and old time radio, and stuff like that. It's pretty cool. I recently watched a bunch of old PD cartoons, including the entire run of the old Superman series.

Kurosawa Fan
12-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Interesting. I have some Christmas cash that needs spending. Perhaps I'll look into it.

Kurosawa Fan
12-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Do you have to pay a subscription fee to Roku, or only to the pay services you want to use?

D_Davis
12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Do you have to pay a subscription fee to Roku, or only to the pay services you want to use?

Just your Netflix one and to any additional channels you want to purchase or rent from.

I love the Roku.

balmakboor
12-27-2010, 05:29 PM
I'd rather use Open Office, for free.

My experiences with Open Office have been very disconcerting. I've also been at two workplaces that considered using it and didn't.

Fezzik
12-27-2010, 06:13 PM

They're coming down in price. I got one with NetFlix, Vudu, CinemaNow and Pandora installed for $90.

Dukefrukem
12-27-2010, 06:17 PM
The roku also has access to Amazon On Demand movies... which is a fantastic source of movies that never make it to big theaters. I've been meaning to watch Monsters on AOD.

I am a big supporter of roku

Kurosawa Fan
12-27-2010, 08:03 PM
I think I'm going to do this. $60 is a price that's hard to turn down. I can put it in the bedroom, that way I can watch Netflix films in there as well as the living room.

Spinal
12-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I think I am too.

DavidSeven
12-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Do the majority of you streamers still have cable? I question the value of this every day. Sports viewing is really the only thing keeping me on the hook.

Mara
12-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Do the majority of you streamers still have cable? I question the value of this every day.

No way. Huge waste of money.

Sports viewing is really the only thing keeping me on the hook.

Hahahaha, sports people.

Spun Lepton
12-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Do the majority of you streamers still have cable? I question the value of this every day. Sports viewing is really the only thing keeping me on the hook.

I cancelled my cable connection at the end of November. Haven't really missed it.

DavidSeven
12-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah, if you don't watch sports, I can't imagine justifying the cost of cable with a Netlix/Hulu Plus combo available for less than $20.

Dukefrukem
12-27-2010, 11:48 PM

Yup. $115/month.

D_Davis
12-27-2010, 11:50 PM
I pay $5 for limited cable (this is in addition to high speed internet, for a total of $60 a month) - the networks plus Discovery and On Demand. The only show I watch on regular TV is Mythbusters. Everything else I watch On Demand or on the Roku.

Mara
12-27-2010, 11:51 PM
I have a digital antenna for free network channels, Netflix, and internet. And I never miss anything I want, one way or another.

EyesWideOpen
12-28-2010, 01:08 AM
I've got to wait until my 2 years with directv is up in sept and then I will be going the netflix/hulu plus route also.

Kurosawa Fan
12-28-2010, 02:43 AM
I just can't cancel cable (or satellite, in my case). I love sports way too much, and not being able to see live events would drive me crazy. I'd love to get rid of the cable bill, but until sports jump on board with online streaming, I'm stuck paying for it.

Kurosawa Fan
12-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Also, the wife gave full approval to the Roku purchase, plus even offered to chip in some of her Christmas cash, since she watches stuff in the bedroom more often than I do. So, yeah, this will be ordered forthwith.

number8
12-28-2010, 03:46 AM
If I didn't have the PS3, I'd be all over the Roku.

Raiders
12-28-2010, 04:51 PM
I have a PS3, but it is in the bedroom on the slightly smaller HDTV. My living room telly needs to be stream-capable too, so the Roku is looking like a good purchase.

Kurosawa Fan
12-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Purchased mine last night. :cool:

Raiders
12-28-2010, 04:58 PM
I didn't realize Roku had reached an agreement with Hulu Plus. So yeah, sports is all that is keeping me attached to my ridiculous cable bill. And really, that's mainly ESPN because the regular networks can be picked up via digital antenna. ESPN3 needs to become a subscription and start airing all ESPN content, dammit. They are essentially costing me like 40 bucks a month.

Robby P
12-28-2010, 06:48 PM
There is a website available where you can watch streaming live sporting events but it's not totally kosher. I caught most of the MLB playoffs at work until Ted Turner wised to the act. So, yeah, cable is almost the way of the dinosaurs.

Fezzik
12-28-2010, 07:17 PM
While I'm sure that I COULD ditch the cable bill if I really wanted to, I do wonder...

I do more than watch sports. I watch Food Network a lot, and there are a lot of stuff I watch that I simply can't get on my television in my living room without a cable subscription.

How are you guys watching all this extra stuff? Via PC?

Dukefrukem
12-28-2010, 07:19 PM
I have a PS3, but it is in the bedroom on the slightly smaller HDTV. My living room telly needs to be stream-capable too, so the Roku is looking like a good purchase.

Same here. The really funny part is, technically my Alarm clock (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666081675) has built in Netflix.

Raiders
12-28-2010, 07:21 PM
While I'm sure that I COULD ditch the cable bill if I really wanted to, I do wonder...

I do more than watch sports. I watch Food Network a lot, and there are a lot of stuff I watch that I simply can't get on my television in my living room without a cable subscription.

How are you guys watching all this extra stuff? Via PC?

Food Network is on Hulu, which you can stream through the Roku. That's what we mean. With the amount of programming available through Hulu and Hulu Plus and with Netflix/Amazon streaming... cable has become pretty useless except for sports.

Dukefrukem
12-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Also, you guys know that the roku supports MLB TV and I believe NBA apps. So I think it's $50/year for all MLB games.

edit: sorry, $24.99

Ezee E
12-28-2010, 09:49 PM
I think a lot of what cable does to entice certain people is the channel surfing while being bored, which Roku can't really do. Pretty sure that's why my roommate insists on keeping it.

Spinal
12-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Didn't realize Hulu Plus was on the PS3 now. I'll probably just do that.

Raiders
12-28-2010, 10:02 PM
I think a lot of what cable does to entice certain people is the channel surfing while being bored, which Roku can't really do. Pretty sure that's why my roommate insists on keeping it.

Perhaps, but I think I would be plenty happy to scroll through all the content on Hulu Plus and find something when I'm bored... and with the extra bonus that I can always start from the beginning.

DavidSeven
12-28-2010, 10:48 PM
I mean, I do recognize there is a certain value to having the ability to mindlessly channel surf, especially if you have guests, but I'm questioning if it's worth that much to me anymore. I find I'm channel surfing a lot less these days and spending more time just surfing through my Netflix queue and Recently Added movies.

Fezzik: I think most of us have some device to stream Netflix content to our TVs (Blu Ray, PS3, Roku, etc.). You can also get Hulu Plus and other subscription services directly to your TV, but I'm waiting on those until I bite the bullet and cut off cable.

D_Davis
12-28-2010, 11:02 PM

I find that I waste a lot less time in front of the TV without having any channels to surf between.

Raiders
12-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Hm, wait. I thought Hulu Plus had HBO shows. It doesn't. That would be a problem.

Arthur Seaton
12-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Our homeowners association pays for a big chunk of our cable bill. Hence, I have still have it.

Scar
12-28-2010, 11:49 PM
I have basic basic cable, only because it would be more expensive to have just the internet. We still get all the local channels, in hi-def, and about the only thing I really miss is the Food Network, and ESPN.

Gonna check HuluPlus for the Food Network.

Scar
12-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Not seeing any Food Network on HuluPlus.

Kurosawa Fan
12-29-2010, 02:03 AM
So, regular Hulu can't be accessed with the Roku or PS3, just HuluPlus? Is that correct?

Scar
12-29-2010, 02:05 AM
So, regular Hulu can't be accessed with the Roku or PS3, just HuluPlus? Is that correct?

I can not access Hulu via PS3. Only Plus.

Lame.

LAME.

LAME!

Kurosawa Fan
12-29-2010, 02:11 AM
Well, looking for Hulu did lead me to Vudu, and a free HD movie rental. So I guess there's that. Doubt I'll ever use Vudu again, but a free movie is a free movie.

EyesWideOpen
12-29-2010, 03:47 AM
I can not access Hulu via PS3. Only Plus.

Lame.

LAME.

LAME!

It is lame but at least their is a reason. Some studios don't mind you being able to watch their shows on your computer but are extremely hesitant about you being able to watch them on a device through your tv. Apparently Hulu is trying to get rights to all that stuff for Plus but it's not their fault it's not available.

Scar
12-29-2010, 04:01 AM
It is lame but at least their is a reason. Some studios don't mind you being able to watch their shows on your computer but are extremely hesitant about you being able to watch them on a device through your tv. Apparently Hulu is trying to get rights to all that stuff for Plus but it's not their fault it's not available.

Actually, with two cables, we can watch normal Hulu on the big screen.

But I completely understand

number8
12-29-2010, 04:30 AM
Just get PlayOn, if you're a PC user.

Fezzik
12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Not seeing any Food Network on HuluPlus.

I was just about to post the same. No Food Network, no HBO, I didn't see Discovery Channel either (unless I wasn't looking in the right place), so yeah, for now, between Sports, HBO (which I'm getting for the first time) and other channels not available for streaming on my TV, I'll be sticking with cable at least for the time being.

Fezzik
12-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Well, looking for Hulu did lead me to Vudu, and a free HD movie rental. So I guess there's that. Doubt I'll ever use Vudu again, but a free movie is a free movie.

I might use it again. I was impressed with the quality of the stream when I watched The Town.

The thing I like about is that there are a lot of newer films that aren't available on Netflix streaming yet. If there's something I want to see bad enough, I might rent it.

Dukefrukem
12-29-2010, 08:21 PM
This is another reason, why canceling your cable is a bad idea.

http://fatalpapercut.webs.com/photos/Damn-you-Steam/ComcastUsage.jpg

Kurosawa Fan
12-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Ok, got my Roku all set up. Anyone want to suggest some good channels that don't come preloaded? I have Netflix, Amazon, and HuluPlus all set up, plus added the Public Domain channel and Pandora. Any other cool channels I'm missing?

Dukefrukem
12-30-2010, 06:33 PM
You're using the ones that I use. MLB TV if you have a subscription.

Kurosawa Fan
12-30-2010, 06:38 PM
You're using the ones that I use. MLB TV if you have a subscription.

Yeah, I'll have one next season. I feel sorry for anyone who purchases their Extra Innings at near $200. I wonder how much the NHL one would be, though I don't really care to watch anyone other than the Wings, and all their games are televised in HD anyway.

eternity
12-30-2010, 08:08 PM
This is another reason, why canceling your cable is a bad idea.

http://fatalpapercut.webs.com/photos/Damn-you-Steam/ComcastUsage.jpg

You have a usage cap on your internet connection? Comcast is fucking eeeeeevilllllllllllll.

Ezee E
12-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Why so much porn in November duke?

Dukefrukem
12-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Why so much porn in November duke?

:lol: Steam Christmas sales (http://store.steampowered.com/).

Mysterious Dude
01-03-2011, 01:16 AM
I think I may get rid of cable, too. I'm basically paying $60 a month to watch The Daily Show four times a week.

Sycophant
01-03-2011, 01:21 AM
I think I may get rid of cable, too. I'm basically paying $60 a month to watch The Daily Show four times a week.

And each full episode posts online within 6 hours of its east coast broadcast.

Mysterious Dude
01-03-2011, 01:24 AM
And each full episode posts online within 6 hours of its east coast broadcast.
I know, I know. I should be watching it at breakfast. But I've been watching it at 10:00 p.m. for eleven years. ELEVEN YEARS. What will I do at 10:00 now?!

Mara
01-03-2011, 03:22 AM
I know, I know. I should be watching it at breakfast. But I've been watching it at 10:00 p.m. for eleven years. ELEVEN YEARS. What will I do at 10:00 now?!

Sleepytime!

Mara
01-03-2011, 07:49 PM
This may be a dumb questions, but can two people stream from the same Netflix account at the same time? I let my sister and my brother use my account, and now they log in and watch all the time and I don't want to get in trouble.

Ezee E
01-03-2011, 07:59 PM
This may be a dumb questions, but can two people stream from the same Netflix account at the same time? I let my sister and my brother use my account, and now they log in and watch all the time and I don't want to get in trouble.
It's happened with my brother a few times. Never heard a thing.

Kurosawa Fan
01-04-2011, 01:20 PM

My brother used mine for a year, sometimes at the same time as me, and I never heard a word from Netflix about breaking any rules. I'm sure if you outright asked them, they'd say you can't do it, but at this point it won't get you into any trouble.

number8
01-04-2011, 11:00 PM
They let you do it because you can have multiple users with their own IW queues under one account, so theoretically they have to let them view different things at once.

Kurosawa Fan
01-04-2011, 11:33 PM
When did they start doing that? My wife is a user under my account, but was never allowed to use the Instant Viewing under her name, she always had to log in under my account. She only had disc privileges.

number8
01-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Hmm, that's weird. Either they've changed it or I misremembered. Oh well.

Kurosawa Fan
01-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Pretty sure you misremembered. My wife has had her profile under my account almost since the profile inception. We have both complained to Netflix about it, even pointing out that you can give out your name and password to friends and they can use the instant viewing service for free, so why couldn't a profile under an account use the service. We never heard back from them.

D_Davis
01-05-2011, 09:35 PM
The Netflix FAQ says:

Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one PC at the same time (for example, watching a movie on your laptop while another family member watches on a PC in another room ).
1-disc plans may watch on one device at a time, 2-disc plans on up to two devices at the same time, 3-disc plans on up to three devices, and plans with four or more discs on up to four devices simultaneously.

However, they don't seem to be enforcing this. However again, you'd probably need some serious bandwidth to stream two movies simultaneous from the same Internet connection.

Lucky
02-23-2011, 01:46 AM
After a search on the forum, I was surprised not to find a thread like this already. I'm always looking for quality suggestions that can also be found conveniently on Netflix Instant Watch. Please use this thread to fill with recommendations of movies/TV shows already on Netflix and a heads-up for new titles to come.

I'll start with a few -- I know these films have been discussed by multiple Match Cutters and played as strong contenders in the 2010 Match Cut Awards Nomination process...

I Am Love
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Dogtooth

And there are a bunch of good TV shows on there in their entirety, off the top of my head...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Arrested Development
Coupling
Veronica Mars

And a couple TV shows that are well regarded here that I plan on watching...

Firefly
Downtown Abbey

So feel free to chime in. And I hope this thread doesn't die, because the main reason I'm making this is hope to be notified when something good is added in the future.

Spun Lepton
02-23-2011, 01:52 AM
I considered making a thread like this a bunch of times. There's a bunch of stuff on Netflix Instant worth watching.

I was just commenting on That Mitchell and Webb Look, British TV comedy that's quite hilarious. Gonna flip over there right now and have a watch.

Mysterious Dude
02-23-2011, 01:55 AM
I'm trying to watch every episode of Saturday Night Live. I'm up to episode 13 (of season 1) so far. I was thinking of starting a thread to review them.

Dukefrukem
02-23-2011, 02:18 AM
I'm trying to watch every episode of Saturday Night Live. I'm up to episode 13 (of season 1) so far. I was thinking of starting a thread to review them.

Yes. Do this.

Milky Joe
02-23-2011, 02:19 AM
This site:

http://instantwatcher.com/

is indispensable.

Dukefrukem
02-23-2011, 02:19 AM
This site:

http://instantwatcher.com/

is indispensable.

Wow... Netflix really is getting more and more TV shows...

Milky Joe
02-23-2011, 02:21 AM
Definitely going to watch The Quantum Activist and Mesrine: Part 1: Killer Instinct soon.

Ooh, and they finally have all of Rocko's Modern Life.

MadMan
02-24-2011, 02:47 AM
My current Instant Queue seems to be endlessly growing, and I still have much to go through at this point. A lot of TV shows have been added over the past couple of months.

Dukefrukem
02-24-2011, 01:12 PM
I've only got 60 movies in my Instant Watch and 40 in my DVD queue.

elixir
02-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Titles expiring March 1st include...Popeye, Rain Main, Le Cercle Rouge, Catch 22, Gilda, Whatever Works, Star Trek IV, Play it Again Sam, Ginger and Fred, Grand Illusion, The Elephant Man, Frankenstein, From Here to Eternity, The Lady From Shanghai.

Though I have some idea of what I prefer, I probably won't be able to get to all of these in time, so any suggestions on what to prioritize?

Mara
02-24-2011, 01:35 PM
From Here to Eternity is completely overrated. It's melodramatic nonsense.

If you haven't seen Popeye, you should. Even if you don't end up liking it, it's too much of an oddity to miss.

Dukefrukem
02-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Titles expiring March 1st include...Popeye, Rain Main, Le Cercle Rouge, Catch 22, Gilda, Whatever Works, Star Trek IV, Play it Again Sam, Ginger and Fred, Grand Illusion, The Elephant Man, Frankenstein, From Here to Eternity, The Lady From Shanghai.

Though I have some idea of what I prefer, I probably won't be able to get to all of these in time, so any suggestions on what to prioritize?

The Elephant Man is also in my queue.

Frankenstein a must watch.

Rain Main can be avoided/postponed.

Other titles expiring March 1st, 1900, Deepstar Six, On the Waterfront, The Red Circle.

I'd like recommendations on those as well.

elixir
02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Not the biggest fan of On The Waterfront, but it's pretty essential and Brando is all he's cracked up to be.

Mara
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
I like On the Waterfront quite a bit. I love Karl Malden beyond all reason.

EyesWideOpen
02-24-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm up to over 300 movies in my instant queue.

Dukefrukem
02-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Awesome chart if you're still on the fence.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/02/amazon-prime-instant-comp-chart3.jpg

Mara
02-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Those numbers are for Netflix Instant, right, not including hard copies of television shows and films?

Dukefrukem
02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Those numbers are for Netflix Instant, right, not including hard copies of television shows and films?

Correct. This is for instant watching only.

Dukefrukem
03-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Grown Ups is now available for Instant Watch. Something I was interested in but not interested enough to send out a DVD for it.

Mara
03-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Netflix is Whedon heaven. All seasons of Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, Firefly and Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog are on Instant watch.

My sister called last night and asked if she should watch Angel or Dollhouse first and we ended up discussing the pros and cons for AN HOUR. We are NERDS.

Dukefrukem
03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Okay, this isn't Netflix related, but it's Amazon On Demand related. I got this e-mail today.

We noticed that you experienced poor video playback while watching the following rental(s) on Amazon Video On Demand:

Monsters [HD]

We're sorry for the inconvenience and have issued you a refund for the following amount(s):

$3.99

While Amazon Video On Demand transactions are typically not refundable, we are happy to make an exception in this case. This refund should be processed within the next 2 to 3 business days and will appear on your next billing statement for the same credit card used to purchase this item.

I didn't provide any feedback on my experience, but i couldn't watch the last 20 minutes of the movie the first night i tried watching it. It kept buffering. So I turned it off and watched it in the morning.

Pretty neat. This is also before I realized Monsters is also streaming free on Netflix.

Dukefrukem
03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
also, Netflix shares drop 6% as Amazon and Facebook announce movie deals (http://www.itworld.com/internet/139450/for-netflix-facebook-deal-warner-bros-a-bad-movie?source=itw_rss).

Spun Lepton
03-08-2011, 09:40 PM
also, Netflix shares drop 6% as Amazon and Facebook announce movie deals (http://www.itworld.com/internet/139450/for-netflix-facebook-deal-warner-bros-a-bad-movie?source=itw_rss).

Everybody panic!!!

:D

balmakboor
03-09-2011, 04:21 AM
The only thing for sure is some day we'll fondly be remembering those days of red envelopes and primitive video streaming. Hell, I've gone from having to go to a theater to watch a movie without commercials to watching damn near anything I want anytime I want in half my lifetime.

In the meantime though, I just finished watching Carlos on Netflix. Pretty compelling stuff.

Sven
03-09-2011, 04:28 AM
...Whedon heaven.

My body recoils at the term.

Derek
03-09-2011, 04:34 AM
My body recoils at the term.

There must be a hell in the Whedonverse, so I'm sure you'll be welcome there. ;)

B-side
03-09-2011, 04:37 AM
Ride in the Whirlwind (Hellman, 1965) *½

What in the world is this nonsense?

Derek
03-09-2011, 04:31 PM
What in the world is this nonsense?

It's an early Hellman film that is poorly paced and meandering. I wouldn't go so far as calling it nonsense, but it's hard to believe he made the far superior The Shooting just a couple years later.

B-side
03-09-2011, 05:01 PM
It's an early Hellman film that is poorly paced and meandering. I wouldn't go so far as calling it nonsense, but it's hard to believe he made the far superior The Shooting just a couple years later.

I agree The Shooting is far superior, but I really liked that one, too.:sad:

eternity
03-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Netflix is Whedon heaven. All seasons of Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, Firefly and Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog are on Instant watch.

My sister called last night and asked if she should watch Angel or Dollhouse first and we ended up discussing the pros and cons for AN HOUR. We are NERDS.

They're apparently all going away next month. :(

Kurosawa Fan
03-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Looks like every Fox television show is leaving. Hopefully it's only temporary.

Stay Puft
03-10-2011, 03:45 AM
All of that stuff (referring to the Fox shows being discussed in the last few posts) was just added in Canada. I started watching Arrested Development the other day.

Also been enjoying Mad Men, which I understand is only in Canada. Finished the first two seasons a month or so ago, plan on moving on to the third season soon.

Other than that, and some choice British stuff, the television selection up north is fairly slim. We've got some Showtime shows and the more recent seasons of SNL but nothing too interesting.

MadMan
03-10-2011, 06:01 AM
As long as I can still rent the Fox shows on DVD, I don't really care if they leave Instant Viewing.

Thirdmango
03-10-2011, 09:57 AM
They're apparently all going away next month. :(

I doubt they'll go away completely. They only do like 1-2 year contracts on everything they have so all those shows will most likely be back within 1-2 weeks.

eternity
03-10-2011, 08:33 PM
I doubt they'll go away completely. They only do like 1-2 year contracts on everything they have so all those shows will most likely be back within 1-2 weeks.
Hopefully. Seems like everyone on Whedonesque is having a heart attack over it.

Spun Lepton
03-10-2011, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they moved all those Fox shows to Hulu and kept them there.

eternity
03-11-2011, 12:15 AM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/3ENNA0cBHm8/0.jpg

Stop trying to make Hulu happen. It's never going to happen.

Ivan Drago
03-11-2011, 01:12 AM
SANTA SANGRE!!!

B-side
03-11-2011, 02:08 AM
SANTA SANGRE!!!

Superb film.

Thirdmango
03-11-2011, 02:12 AM
Hopefully. Seems like everyone on Whedonesque is having a heart attack over it.

Which is weird because they all own every dvd of every show anyways.

Mysterious Dude
03-11-2011, 04:08 AM
It's kind of annoying when they do this. I see "Available until 3/10/2011" next to the title, so I make that movie a priority, putting aside all others, watch it, and then it's available again a few days later.

Ivan Drago
03-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Superb film.

Indeed it was. Watched it once I saw it was on Instant Watch, and loved it.

DavidSeven
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Netflix Enters Original Programming with David Fincher's House of Cards (http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/netflix-to-enter-original-programming-with-mega-deal-for-david-fincher-kevin-spacey-drama-series-house-of-cards/)

Lazlo posted something about this in the TV Discussion Thread, but I thought it was interesting enough to put over here. This is pretty huge. It'll be interesting too see how they pull this off.

Video streaming juggernaut Netflix is becoming an original programming player. In what is probably the biggest gamble in its 14-year history, I hear Netflix has outbid several major cable networks, including HBO and AMC, for Media Rights Capital's drama series House of Cards, executive produced and directed by David Fincher and exec produced by and starring Kevin Spacey.

Negotiations are still going on, but I hear Netflix landed the drama project by offering a staggering commitment of two seasons, or 26 episodes. Given that the price tag for a high-end drama is in the $4 million-$6 million an episode range and that a launch of a big original series commands tens of millions of dollars for promotion, the deal is believed to be worth more than $100 million and could change the way people consume TV shows.

Derek
03-16-2011, 05:35 PM
That sounds really cool. It's too bad their stock dropped 6% and now that they have competition, they're apparently inevitably going out of business.

Mysterious Dude
03-16-2011, 11:54 PM
That sounds really cool. It's too bad their stock dropped 6% and now that they have competition, they're apparently inevitably going out of business.Why does having competition make going out of business inevitable?

Kurosawa Fan
03-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Why does having competition make going out of business inevitable?

Pretty sure he's making fun of Madman.

eternity
03-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah, Netflix has been incredibly resilient to pressure from studios and competitive services so far. I remember a lot of people thinking that the Blockbuster machine wouldn't let Netflix grow and prosper, and look how that turned out.

D_Davis
03-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Did you guys know that Crunchyroll.com has a channel on Roku? Tons of free, SUBBED anime.

Awesome.

Dukefrukem
03-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Did you guys know that Crunchyroll.com has a channel on Roku? Tons of free, SUBBED anime.

Awesome.

It's too bad I hate my roku because it doesn't stay on through HDMI. (http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17468&sid=12bf719fabbfd16cca5b4ab569 98d1b1):frustrated:

D_Davis
03-27-2011, 02:12 AM
It's too bad I hate my roku because it doesn't stay on through HDMI. (http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17468&sid=12bf719fabbfd16cca5b4ab569 98d1b1):frustrated:

I've heard some units have trouble with HDMI. You should be able to send it back and get a new one. My ex did.

Dukefrukem
03-27-2011, 02:23 AM
I've heard some units have trouble with HDMI. You should be able to send it back and get a new one. My ex did.

I thought I read that they didn't accept them back, but I'll call them first thing on Monday.

Spinal
04-18-2011, 02:37 AM
TWIN PEAKS!

Lucky
04-18-2011, 02:56 AM
I noticed Southland Tales was on NIW today. For anyone who was too put off to risk spending money on the film. Give it a shot -- at the very least I can guarantee you haven't seen anything like it.

MadMan
04-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Pretty sure he's making fun of Madman.I don't believe I was refering to competition at all, but hey whatever :rolleyes: This shit really gets old, though....

When I finish with X-Files on Instant Viewing I'll probably start either Twin Peaks or Mad Men.

Qrazy
04-19-2011, 09:21 PM
I don't believe I was refering to competition at all, but hey whatever :rolleyes: This shit really gets old, though....

When I finish with X-Files on Instant Viewing I'll probably start either Twin Peaks or Mad Men.

TP.

Derek
04-19-2011, 11:58 PM
TP.

Yup, GSOAT.

MadMan
04-20-2011, 06:52 PM
TP.Do I need to watch the film first, or after the series? I can't remember.

Derek
04-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Do I need to watch the film first, or after the series? I can't remember.

Only after, or at least after the killer is revealed in Season 2.

Spinal
04-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Peter Watkins' Culloden (http://filmepidemic.blogspot.com/search?q=culloden) is now available.

Fezzik
05-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Got a note today that The Conversation is now available for streaming.

Barty
05-03-2011, 05:51 PM
TWIN PEAKS!

I just watched the Pilot last night and was absolutely blown away.

EyesWideOpen
05-05-2011, 03:13 AM
I really wish there was someway where they could make available every tv show and movie that's been released on dvd on netflix (or some other streaming service). I would pay $50 a month for that service gladly.

D_Davis
05-05-2011, 03:15 AM
I just watched the Pilot last night and was absolutely blown away.

It's a remarkable piece of work.

Dukefrukem
05-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I think most people here have seen this already (and hated it) but Kick-Ass is streaming on Netflix now.

EyesWideOpen
05-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Looks like almost all the shows that were due to expire got put back up. Buffy, Angel, Avatar, Doctor Who, etc.

EyesWideOpen
05-09-2011, 03:05 PM
They finally added Doctor Who Season 5 and Sherlock.

MadMan
05-09-2011, 04:41 PM
They finally added Doctor Who Season 5 and Sherlock.Hell yes. I'm glad I just waited for it to pop up on Instant Viewing.

Dukefrukem
05-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Miramax pacts with Netflix (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118037110?categoryid=3628&cs=1&cmpid=RSS|News|FilmNews)

EyesWideOpen
05-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Any recommendations for Roku channels?

Dukefrukem
05-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Any recommendations for Roku channels?

I only use netflix and amazon. My roku sucks. Screen always turns green.

EyesWideOpen
05-19-2011, 12:58 AM
I only use netflix and amazon. My roku sucks. Screen always turns green.

I just got one today and I added netflix, amazon, crunchy roll, whiskeymedia, pandora.

D_Davis
05-19-2011, 05:19 PM
I just got one today and I added netflix, amazon, crunchy roll, whiskeymedia, pandora.

Yeah! Crunchy Roll = awesome.

Ezee E
05-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Lots of Criterion are leaving on 5/26, so get them in if you can.

EyesWideOpen
05-20-2011, 11:18 PM

Yeah, the criterion/netflix deal is over then. So all of them should go off instant watch. They'll all be on hulu now.

Ezee E
05-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Yeah, the criterion/netflix deal is over then. So all of them should go off instant watch. They'll all be on hulu now.
There's still a lot that are staying still.

elixir
05-20-2011, 11:43 PM
There's still a lot that are staying still.

Most are (at least from my queue). Here's a list of some that are leaving (haven't seen any of them): Lord of the Flies, Branded to Kill, Knife in the Water, The Thief of Bagdad (1940), Eyes Without a Face, Mon Oncle, Children of Paradise, Black Orpheus, Harlan County USA, Beauty and the Beast (1946), Sans Soleil, Hearts and Minds, The Spirit of the Beehive.

EyesWideOpen
05-20-2011, 11:50 PM
According to the criterion press release there will be no criterion releases available on netflix instant streaming after 2011.

D_Davis
05-21-2011, 03:46 AM
According to the criterion press release there will be no criterion releases available on netflix instant streaming after 2011.

It's all for the good of their customers!

EyesWideOpen
05-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Sweet. Just found the Nowhere TV channel on Roku where you can watch a ton of shows including Conan and a bunch of Adult Swim shows.

Irish
05-21-2011, 04:32 AM
It's all for the good of their customers!

They're in a bad spot. They're selling physical media at a premium when there's a waning interest in it.

Being on Netflix Instant Watch does nothing for their brand. AFAIK, there's no special "Criterion" listing on the website and the streaming option doesn't give you access to all the extras and goodies on the discs that help justify the cost of Criterion DVDs. (Nevermind that technology has pretty much trumped their biggest value add: Better prints and image quality over other available options).

It's a defensive move, but I can see why they'd want to pull their movies from Instant Watch, possibly to get a better deal.

Dukefrukem
05-22-2011, 03:36 PM

arghhhh Eyes Without A Face needs to be watched!

EyesWideOpen
05-22-2011, 03:39 PM
They're in a bad spot. They're selling physical media at a premium when there's a waning interest in it.

Being on Netflix Instant Watch does nothing for their brand. AFAIK, there's no special "Criterion" listing on the website and the streaming option doesn't give you access to all the extras and goodies on the discs that help justify the cost of Criterion DVDs. (Nevermind that technology has pretty much trumped their biggest value add: Better prints and image quality over other available options).

It's a defensive move, but I can see why they'd want to pull their movies from Instant Watch, possibly to get a better deal.

They didn't pull them to "possibly get a better deal". They already got one through hulu plus. They gave them their own section and are going to have special features available to watch also.

Irish
05-22-2011, 05:02 PM
They didn't pull them to "possibly get a better deal". They already got one through hulu plus. They gave them their own section and are going to have special features available to watch also.

That was my point. Pure speculation, but if I had to guess I'd say they tried to get a similar deal with Netflix first, and when they couldn't, Criterion let the licensing deal expire. Only then did they make an arrangement with Hulu.

Because of Hulu's position in the marketplace, I can't imagine they're anyone's first choice for anything.

Dukefrukem
05-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Phantasm and Cigarette Burns expire on June 1st. Just two movies in my queue that I thought I'd let people know.

Mysterious Dude
06-01-2011, 08:41 PM
For the last several days, every time I add a movie to my instant queue, the order gets completely scrambled. I spent hours putting that in chronological order! :sad:

EyesWideOpen
06-03-2011, 02:10 AM
Pretty disappointed in crunchyroll. I went through all their stuff today and they have 99% of your sterotypical anime stuff "schoolgirl or mech" stuff. The only decent show I saw on there was Gankutsou: The Count of Monte Cristo which I had already seen.

Netflix even being dubbed at least has anime I want to watch.

MadMan
06-03-2011, 07:00 PM
For the last several days, every time I add a movie to my instant queue, the order gets completely scrambled. I spent hours putting that in chronological order! :sad:Hey that happened to me, too. Damn annoying. One day Netflix will have some kind of folder ability where you can keep TV shows and movies on Instant Viewing properly separated.

EyesWideOpen
06-03-2011, 10:27 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Starz-Renewal-Could-Cost-Netflix-350-Million-32522.html

Basically Starz is currently charging Netflix $30 million a year for their instant content. They now want $350 million a year.

Spun Lepton
06-03-2011, 10:45 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Starz-Renewal-Could-Cost-Netflix-350-Million-32522.html

Basically Starz is currently charging Netflix $30 million a year for their instant content. They now want $350 million a year.

:|

Irish
06-03-2011, 11:17 PM
$30 mil is a steal if Comcast is paying $220.

Kurosawa Fan
06-04-2011, 01:53 AM
99% of those Starz movies are garbage anyway. At least that's how it seems when I page through them on the slider.

Dukefrukem
06-17-2011, 12:20 AM
More Criterion leaving on the 21st

Ivan Drago
06-17-2011, 02:20 AM
. . .the entire Power Rangers series is on Netflix Instant Watch. It's going to be quite a nostalgic weekend.

Derek
06-17-2011, 02:52 AM
99% of those Starz movies are garbage anyway. At least that's how it seems when I page through them on the slider.

Most of it is pan-and-scan too from what I've seen, so most of their streaming titles are ones I'd opt for on disk anyway.

EyesWideOpen
06-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Those Starz movies are the majority of the mainstream new releases though that bring in the "average moviegoer". The same people who couldn't care less about pan-and-scan.

Irish
06-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Sony/Starz movies are offline due to a contract dispute.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/06/temporary-removal-of-sony-movies.html

eternity
06-18-2011, 09:26 AM
. . .the entire Power Rangers series is on Netflix Instant Watch. It's going to be quite a nostalgic weekend.

The original Red Ranger has been the star of numerous gay porn films. I just discovered this today. I'm not going to be too proud of what I watch tomorrow...

EDIT: Nope. He didn't do porn. INTERNET LIES.

Dukefrukem
06-20-2011, 02:22 AM
hasn't been working since last night. think they were hacked?

Ezee E
06-20-2011, 02:25 AM
Website isn't working either.

With that, I hear rumors that Chappelle is trying to decide between Netflix or Hulu on hosting his new show. C'mon Netflix... :pritch:

Spinal
06-20-2011, 02:28 AM

Can we get Seal Team 6 on these bitches? I'm so sick of goddamn hackers.

Irish
06-20-2011, 02:29 AM

Looks like a technical problem on their end, because now they've got a placeholder page up.

Dukefrukem
06-20-2011, 02:31 AM
Looks like a technical problem on their end, because now they've got a placeholder page up.

So did Sony. ;)

Irish
06-20-2011, 02:32 AM
So did Sony. ;)

If it were a DDOS, we wouldn't see the placeholder.

If it was something else (like Lulzsec), they'd be bragging about it on twitter.

Dukefrukem
06-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Hulu might be bought by Yahoo?? Weird.

Raiders
06-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Hulu might be bought by Yahoo?? Weird.

Not really. They don't currently have an answer for YouTube.

Scar
06-22-2011, 11:54 PM
I can't stop watching Swamp People.

Dukefrukem
06-23-2011, 02:03 AM
Netflix Instant being weird for anyone else? Screen blacks out after a few seconds. 60-180 seconds into the movie for me. Audio is fine but a black screen.

Kurosawa Fan
06-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Netflix Instant being weird for anyone else? Screen blacks out after a few seconds. 60-180 seconds into the movie for me. Audio is fine but a black screen.

Mine was working fine last night. Using a Roku.

Scar
06-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Mine was working fine last night. Using a Roku.

It was just fine on PS3.

Spun Lepton
06-23-2011, 08:29 PM

Bizarre! I watched some TV on Hulu last night and it did the same thing.

But, I wasn't watching through my PS3, was watching it on my laptop.

Irish
06-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Bizarre! I watched some TV on Hulu last night and it did the same thing.

Likewise -- did it twice during my watch of the Daily Show.

Spun Lepton
06-26-2011, 04:39 AM
Anyone else think the new design for their Instant site is total balls?

Irish
06-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Anyone else think the new design for their Instant site is total balls?

Is balls good or bad? 'Cause I like the way it looks when the page loads, but the functionality is awkward and frustrating.

Scar
06-26-2011, 05:37 AM
Is balls good or bad? 'Cause I like the way it looks when the page loads, but the functionality is awkward and frustrating.

Balls is bad. Tits is good. Why? Would you rather stare at a pair of tits, or a pair of balls?

B-side
06-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Balls is bad. Tits is good. Why? Would you rather stare at a pair of tits, or a pair of balls?

How about a pair of tits holding a pair of balls?

Also, Starz is asspaper on IW. Avoid at all costs. Pan and scan bullshit.

Irish
06-26-2011, 05:49 AM

/blink

Well, that does make a kind of sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

B-side
06-26-2011, 05:50 AM
/blink

I see what you did there. It's funny cuz you have an eye in your avatar. Very clever. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter and/or blog.

Irish
06-26-2011, 05:52 AM
I see what you did there. It's funny cuz you have an eye in your avatar. Very clever. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter and/or blog.

:lol:

Dukefrukem
06-27-2011, 12:25 PM

So it looks like it might be movie specific. Could someone please verify that the Man From Earth goes black around the 3 min mark? I'm watching off my PC and not from PS3 or any other device.

I reported the problem via Netflix but if people could help by confirming this that would be great.

Kurosawa Fan
06-27-2011, 01:23 PM
So it looks like it might be movie specific. Could someone please verify that the Man From Earth goes black around the 3 min mark? I'm watching off my PC and not from PS3 or any other device.

I reported the problem via Netflix but if people could help by confirming this that would be great.

I am over 4 minutes in and the picture is working fine. Now 5 minutes and it's still working. I'd say the problem is either on your end, or has been fixed by Netflix in the last hour.

Dukefrukem
06-27-2011, 01:43 PM
I am over 4 minutes in and the picture is working fine. Now 5 minutes and it's still working. I'd say the problem is either on your end, or has been fixed by Netflix in the last hour.

So weird. I tried streaming it from work as well and the same thing happens. This time at minute 2.

Other movies work perfectly fine.

Kurosawa Fan
06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
So weird. I tried streaming it from work as well and the same thing happens. This time at minute 2.

Wish I could be more help, but I know next to nothing about technology.

Irish
06-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Spinal, I just noticed that Hot Tub Time Machine is available on InstantWatch.

You know, in case you wanted to watch it again.

Mara
06-27-2011, 02:39 PM

Did you send them a message? They actually do respond to those. Eventually.

Dukefrukem
06-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Did you send them a message? They actually do respond to those. Eventually.

There's a Report a Problem button. Do you mean that?

Mara
06-27-2011, 03:19 PM
There's a Report a Problem button. Do you mean that?

Yes, that.

Spinal
07-01-2011, 08:21 AM
The Life of Reilly is now available! I'm not sure when this happened, but I'd been waiting on it for quite some time.

The four stars is more for the play rather than the movie that captures the play. But no other rating really makes sense for this experience.

Raiders
07-01-2011, 01:02 PM
The Life of Reilly is now available! I'm not sure when this happened, but I'd been waiting on it for quite some time.

The four stars is more for the play rather than the movie that captures the play. But no other rating really makes sense for this experience.

Yeah, I liked it alright when I saw it back in '07, definitely more for Reilly than the film. This is what I briefly wrote:

http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=12218&postcount=2107

Mysterious Dude
07-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Star Trek, The Next Generation, Voyager and Enterprise just appeared on instant with no warning!

No Deep Space Nine, though. Deep Space Nine fans can suck it.

Edit: Apparently, only seasons 2 and 3 of the original series are available on instant. Kinda weird.

Spinal
07-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I liked it alright when I saw it back in '07, definitely more for Reilly than the film. This is what I briefly wrote:

http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=12218&postcount=2107

Yeah, I don't disagree with you here. It would have been great to have a Jonathan Demme-like approach to the source material. Something like Swimming to Cambodia. But Reilly's monologue was extremely powerful and poignant. I'm glad it was captured at all.

Irish
07-12-2011, 06:36 PM
They're jacking up the prices again, splitting up DVD and streaming. If you want both, your monthly rate is going to almost double.

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming), for $7.99 a month.

The price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). For new members, these changes are effective immediately; for existing members, the new pricing will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/07/netflix-introduces-new-plans-and.html

I don't use the DVD option often, but I'm kinda glad its there. Considering it costs them pennies to stream movies, $16 a month seems expensive.

Mara
07-12-2011, 06:38 PM
UGH. Hardly worth the trouble anymore.

number8
07-12-2011, 07:06 PM
There's a reason for it. Studios are starting to catch on that Netflix is just too good of a bargain for consumers. Sony already started pulling their movies off it.

Next year, Netflix's contracts with the major studios will lapse and they'll have to renegotiate to extend. It's already been speculated that the studios are going to hardball Netflix into paying ten times the licensing cost because streaming has so much more value these days than when Netflix first started negotiating with them a few years ago. Which will no doubt fall on the subscribers. I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix streaming alone will be $15-20 after that.

Irish
07-12-2011, 07:12 PM
There's a reason for it. Studios are starting to catch on that Netflix is just too good of a bargain for consumers. Sony already started pulling their movies off it.

I remember reading Netflix got some great licensing deal way back when ... and Comcast pays like $300 million for the same rights. :lol:

The studios are once again being short sighted and Netflix is caught in the middle with a 60% price hike with no additional benefits to customers.

Seems like a great way to push people back towards piracy.

I'm going to cut my service down, but I can't decide between InstantWatch and DVDs. Great selection by mail or shitty availability with immediacy?

number8
07-12-2011, 07:14 PM
By the way, another thing that's making me paranoid? AT&T is eyeing to buy Hulu. Oy.